Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

  1. #61
    Ambrose Asylum
    OMB's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    218643
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Saw laine wrestle last night at event very good shes cute af too
    OMB's Super Smash Bro's Mafia
    Sign Up Soon




    Spoiler:

    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges





  2. #62
    Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey
    JT Grizzle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,950
    Rep Power
    142461

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The Tegan stuff is just sad to watch, especially when they talk up how much she had to battle to get fit for the tournament.
    Spoiler:

    Is this where she got re-injured or does that come later? If it's later then she worked me hard because her selling was phenomenal, if this is where she got re-injured then I respect her guts because she looked in a lot of pain and very worried about her knee.


    Good match to open the show and I liked both ladies. I've seen nothing of either and would be very interested in seeing more from both in the future.

    Jenkins/Ripley was solid stuff and Ripley's certainly improved and more impressive than she was last year but I'm not seeing what everyone else is in her right now. Both girls have potential but neither had me frothing at the mouth about their futures. This was personally my least favourite match of the show.

    Lacey Lane on the other hand, being so young in her career and so much fun to watch bounce around like that, I'm willing to forgive the botches because there's so much time for her to perfect those things and what I did love was the finish and the little things about it; she held Kraven's arm down and pushed herself up to make it harder for her to kick out, which I never see anyone do with a crucifix bomb and I appreciated that attention to detail. I also thought (despite the issues) she and Kraven worked well together and could have an enjoyable extended feud in the future. Kraven was a good base for Lacey's offence and the size disparity made for some interesting challenges in the match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    You could tell Kelly went up another level because I bet she heard about the info on legacy of Meiko Satomura so she wanted to meet her and show I'm not going to be an afterthought in this Match.
    I love the way you say that as if Kelly had never heard of Meiko before this tournament. The look on her face after the match, the respect she had and the honour she felt just to have been in that ring with that woman for one match, Killer Kelly not only knew very well who Satomura was but she is very clearly a huge fan of her; she was on the verge of tears just getting to work a match with her.

    I've only seen a couple of Killer Kelly matches and I love her look and attitude but she's not impressed me hugely in ring before - I've never thought she was bad, just solid really. This match was definitely a step up for her and I think that does have a lot to do with her opponent as much as anything else. I don't know that I've ever seen Meiko wrestle before but I know her name and reputation and I was not disappointed. This was a hard-hitting contest that was very enjoyable to watch. Really good match with at least one exciting near fall for Killer Kelly that teased the upset that I don't think anyone believed was really ever going to happen, but it's nice to do that tease regardless.

    I noticed that Satomura was lined up for either Rayne or Martinez next round and I think both of those offer up something interesting for her to work with. Having not looked at any spoilers I have no idea which women she'll end up facing and I struggle to make a guess given that Martinez made it to the semi's last year and Rayne is, well, Rayne, but either way I'm looking forward to that match.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but commentary is much improved from last year's unimpressive duo of JR and Lita. Michael Cole is relaxed and not focused on screaming buzzwords or nicknames because Vince isn't there just like when he did the UK tournament last year, Beth has good insights and Renee is just a pro when it comes to broadcasting.
    I didn't hate JR and Lita last year, they weren't good by any stretch and there were some very ugly moments, but I usually tune out of WWE commentary pretty easily these days so it didn't bother me that much. That said, you're spot on about this new team. Cole is great without Vince in his ear, I liked Beth on the Mixed Match Challenge and she's even better here, and I've been a huge fan of Renee in every single role they put her in so this is no different; I maintain that when she and Regal were on commentary for NXT, it was one of the best teams they ever had there.

  3. #63
    YES! YES! YES!

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    32,719
    Rep Power
    1254093
      Country                    England

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R
    I love the way you say that as if Kelly had never heard of Meiko before this tournament. The look on her face after the match, the respect she had and the honour she felt just to have been in that ring with that woman for one match, Killer Kelly not only knew very well who Satomura was but she is very clearly a huge fan of her; she was on the verge of tears just getting to work a match with her.
    Yeah that came off to me too idk, I think HoHo loves to believe he's part of an exclusive crew of wrestling fans that know about these great joshi wrestlers and he needs to remind us that he already knew who these three were before the tournament and they deserve better treatment than 'scrubs coming after them in the parade'. For some reason that extends to believing that professional wrestlers that have never worked in Japan wouldn't know who Meiko Satomura is. I think Kelly is someone who would of ended up in Japan if WWE didn't tap her up this year for WWE UK because she was becoming one of the most in demand female wrestlers in Europe and Stardom have been known to take bottom of the barrel women from that scene.

  4. #64
    Yooooo Mang
    JakeYourBooty's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Grapevine,TX
    Posts
    13,649
    Rep Power
    227882

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    So you’re saying hoho is delusional???

    You don’t say.....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #65
    Prince Of Joshi
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    33,377
    Rep Power
    432922
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah that came off to me too idk, I think HoHo loves to believe he's part of an exclusive crew of wrestling fans that know about these great joshi wrestlers and he needs to remind us that he already knew who these three were before the tournament and they deserve better treatment than 'scrubs coming after them in the parade'. For some reason that extends to believing that professional wrestlers that have never worked in Japan wouldn't know who Meiko Satomura is. I think Kelly is someone who would of ended up in Japan if WWE didn't tap her up this year for WWE UK because she was becoming one of the most in demand female wrestlers in Europe and Stardom have been known to take bottom of the barrel women from that scene.
    No and that's pretty disrespect to say about me and considering you inferring what I think isn't something you should be doing. I'm happy I watch Joshi Wrestling and I never ever act like well because I watch these ladies outside of the States I'm better than anyone. Anytime someone asks about who is that girl I always talk to people and try to give my thoughts on that Wrestler and Promotion and more times than not those people watch and give their thoughts on it and hey it's always great to talk positives and negatives with everything. I apologized for that comment if you look above, and I've come around to see the field and see where it goes. As for Killer Kelly knowing Meiko and having honor being in the Ring with Meiko yeah it's one thing to hear from other people about someone, but it's a different animal when you meet the person. I mean it's not Killer Kelly has a Sendai Girls Account to watch her, but I bet she has watched Matches from here and there and knew the Match she could have with her. I mean I'm a fan of Football and if I was a Wide Receiver and my QB was a Hall of Famer wouldn't you be wanting to get out there and catch balls from that player more vs a Rookie or a least experienced QB in the league right?

    I'm happy for Killer Kelly I've seen plenty of her Matches the past year including her Matches in the WWE UK Shows and this has been her best Match in my opinion.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 09-07-2018 at 07:30 PM.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  6. #66
    The Bastard of Bolton
    Shade's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Winterfell
    Posts
    3,435
    Rep Power
    36318

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Gotta say while this episode wasn't on level with last week's episode I still enjoyed it very much. Thought the opening contest between Priscilla Kelly and Deonna Purazzo was a lot of fun. Only used to Kelly as a manager for Theory in Evolve so I was impressed. Purazzo for me has to be a favorite in this tournament. Was very impressed with Aerial Monroe in match two. She showed a lot of charisma and style in what was unfortunately a clunky match with Zuexis. Feel the wrong person won this match but I said the same with KLR vs Sugheit last year. The third match between Kacy/Reina was one of my most anticipated in the tournament. I see a lot of potential in Kacy as a babyface in NXT so I'm glad to see her advance. Finally while the main event wasn't as good as I hoped it was still decent and with a match with Meiko coming out, the right person won this. Can't wait for Martinez vs Meiko






  7. #67
    Prince Of Joshi
    Kairi HoHo's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mount Myōboku
    Posts
    33,377
    Rep Power
    432922
      Country                    Puerto Rico

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Deonna Purrazzo vs. Priscilla Kelly. Short and Solid between the two to start off this Episode. Some history I have with both ladies I've watched Deonna wrestle when she was coming up in ECWA and I was there when she won the Women's Championship and the ECWA Super 8 ChickFight Tournament as well for the promotion. Funny it's the same place I saw Ciampa for the first time way before ROH took an interest in him. When it comes to Kelly I saw her on that Gypsy Show with my Mother it's our thing, and her Dad is off the Wall crazy. I think it's a tale of two different talents here. You have Deonna with all the skills in the world and to me she lacks a character to stand out, and Kelly who doesn't have the skills in the Ring as her opponent, but she has a character that will get her noticed. I wish both of these ladies well in their careers and right Deonna is signed already so I look forward to what they do with her.

    Zeuxis vs. Ariel Monroe. Horrible booking decision to put Zeuxis towards the next Round, because outside of the Spanish Fly she did she did nothing to warrant the win to be honest. Don't worry Monroe had a bright future to come with all that charisma and attitude she's perfect for the Main Roster. Ariel and Alexander's Daughter crying broke my heart

    Kacy Catanzaro vs. Reina Gonzalez. Please WWE next year can you bring in some good Latina talent like for real. In my opinion that is something WWE is missing a top Latina Superstar and from this MYC it seems they are trying to find one they can groom. Thank goodness WWE told us Kacy has been Training and Wrestling for less than a year because she was lost out there once she got in her few spots. Rhea is going to end her party and I'm going to enjoy it in the next Round.

    Mercedes Martinez vs. Ashley Rayne. Yeah something felt outta touch with this one to me, maybe it's due to people not really knowing Rayne and not really caring about her and what she was doing out there. I didn't feel they didn't work hard out, but nothing special when I thought the Main Event should end off with a bang. Meiko is going to enjoy breaking down Mercedes like if it was Street Fighter 2.

    Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

  8. #68
    Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey
    JT Grizzle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,950
    Rep Power
    142461

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    I thought everything was solid this week but nothing stood out in the same way as some things did from last week. My biggest take away was that Zeuxis is either lazy or just downright bad. Monroe is young in the business, so I can forgive a botch here or there, but Zeuxis is apparently a vet and that match was a mess. Her gear looked like shit, her mask didn't fit and she did fuck all of consequence except the finish - which had me terrified for everyone's safety during the set up.

    Kacy has potential. Lots of fun gymnastic inspired spots. She could end up being very, very good. I wish Reina had clobbered her at the end though, the "face turn" spot happens at the end of almost every match in these tournaments but no one ever has a tantrum and destroy's the person that just beat them. Kacy's probably gonna get pretty far thanks to the American Ninja Warrior angle they can play but having a monster tear her a new one in the first round would give her a story for all her upcoming matches and an out once she does get eliminated and protect her from a clean pin, plus it would've given Gonzalez her heat back and turned her into one to watch for on NXT TV down the line.

  9. #69
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Nippon Budokan
    Posts
    5,181
    Rep Power
    317406
      Country                    England

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Predictably unremarkable episode. Some good names met with underwhelming matches but they are did their jobs so can't complain.

    Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    My biggest take away was that Zeuxis is either lazy or just downright bad.
    Don't let Zero see you say that
    Spoiler:


    Milano Forever!

  10. #70
    YES! YES! YES!

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    32,719
    Rep Power
    1254093
      Country                    England

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Poor episode.

    I'm gonna fear the wraith of Zero here too, but my biggest takeaway of the show was that Zeuxis put in a terrible performance and out of the 16 women we've seen so far, she looked like the rookie/least talented. idk if heel work just isn't her thing, but she was given a great crowd to work in front of because they all loved Monroe and she didn't impress at all.

    I loved Kacey's ring entrance. It's not often you see a truly unique ring entrance in 2018, but that fitted her character perfectly.

    I love the idea that The Undisputed Era and Samoa Joe etc all just show up like fans for these shows because they're here to see the WOMENS EVOLUTION and have absolutely, 100% not been told they need to go to the show to make it look like the hot ticket

  11. #71
    Rowdy RaiZ-R Rousey
    JT Grizzle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21,950
    Rep Power
    142461

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Don't let Zero see you say that
    I'm basing my opinion on her off this one match. Zero watches more lucha than... well, pretty much everyone in the world, so if he tells me she's good, I'll believe him. So far though she's done nothing to impress me and like Ed said, she looked like a rookie out there when in fact she's one of the most experienced in the field. She needs to step up her game next round, for sure.

  12. #72
    Mr. Victory Through Guts

    Zero's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Posts
    10,151
    Rep Power
    489020
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Zeuxis couldn't be further from lazy or bad and is a lifelong Ruda but that doesn't mean the match didn't suck. I feel gutted because I know most people who don't know her will just write her off and she's such a spectacular talent, easily the best in México, and has worked really hard in a completely shit situation booking-wise for 90% of her career. Keep in mind that the match was built almost completely for Monroe & edited heavily, but there's no doubt the end result was bad stuff. Would recommend great Zeuxis matches if you're open to them. Because they're there. I feel sad though. She was my favorite.

    Honestly though...I don't think anyone looked very good on the second episode, the whole show was poor to be honest. Kacy's cool though.
    C'est Magnifique~



    Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

    And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

    Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

    Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

  13. #73
    YES! YES! YES!

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    32,719
    Rep Power
    1254093
      Country                    England

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    I couldn’t believe she won the match given it was legit built around Monroe and they had her husband and kid in the front row

  14. #74
    The EST of WC
    CGS's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    24,040
    Rep Power
    173569
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: 2018 Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

    Pretty meh show for sure

    Purrazzo/Kelly was comfortably the best outing of the night and even then it was nothing more than a good solid matchup. Zeuxis looked awful out there. I've never seen her wrestle before and didn't know much about her so I lol'd hard when I saw that she was a 10 year vet. Like Ed said out of all the girls we've seen so far she looked the most green out there. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. hopefully her next outing is just as good. Kacey seemed pretty solid and has a bunch of potential. Meh at Rayne/Martinez. Rayne has never been that great of a wrestler anyway.

    Interested to see how Sienna/Mia Yim goes in the next episode.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •