New Yearís Revolution
‎January 7, 2007

Jeff Hardy © vs Johnny Nitro w/Melina - Cage Match - WWE IC Title
Ever since Hardyís return to the WWE in the summer of 2006, he and Nitro had been battling over the IC Title with the pair trading it back and forth. This match would mark the unofficial conclusion to their singles program. The first half featured both men hitting various spots in order to try and gain a pinfall. When that didnít bring either man much success, the attempts to escape the cage began. This would also mark the start of Melina trying to interfere, first by whipping her belt against the cage while Hardy was attempting to climb it. Truthfully, thereís not much of a story, but the pace is kept quick enough to keep it entertaining. Nitro, in particular, looked really comfortable in the cage, busting out some powerful looking spots including a sunset flip power bomb while he was sitting on top of the cage. The finish was the most memorable portion of the match as there was a race to the outside with Nitro attempting to climb over the cage and Hardy through the door. To try and help her man, Melina was holding the door closed, however; instead of seeing this as a chance to hurry up and climb down, Nitro instead saw it as a sign that he should slide over to the door and hold it shut with his boots as well. With all of this pressure keeping the door closed, Hardy would drop kick it, causing Nitro to crotch himself on top of the door. That allows Hardy to escape to win the match and retain the title. None of these Hardy/Nitro singles matches did much for me, so this being not dull and somewhat fun is good enough for me. ***

Tag Team Turmoil Match - #1 Contenderís Match
Oh boy, itís a special bonus match, so you know youíre in for a treat! First fall saw The Highlanders battle TWGTT. The arrival of The Highlanders reminded Jim Ross to wish Roddy Piper the best in his battle with cancer. Considering Piper would be dead in less than a decade, this mention comes off as fairly depressing. This fall was pretty forgettable with only Sheltonís spot at the very end, jumping to the top rope and performing a superplex behind the refís back, being the sole thing I remembered about this with TWGTT winning.

Up next was the new tandem of Jim Duggan and...Super Crazy. At this stage, Crazy is far more over than his spot on the card. While I wouldnít say he was IC Champion worthy, he was popular enough that he should have been given some programs on Raw. This fall lasted even less time than the first and other than Crazyís fun flurry of offense, it ended in a similar manner as the previous fall with Shelton knocking Crazy off of the top rope, allowing Haas to nail a German Suplex for the pinfall.

Next is the heel duo of The Redneck Wrecking Crew. Why theyíre booking two heel teams against each other is anyoneís guess. Even though this didnít even go four full minutes, I spent the entire fall bored. Cade and Murdoch would steal the victory after Cade came off of the top rope onto Haas, when Haas had Murdoch in the Haas of Pain. That allowed Murdoch to get the pinfall and finally eliminate TWGGT.

Lastly, Cryme Tyme came out for the worst fall of all. They were given a respectable six and a half minutes, the longest fall of all, but I was bored out of my mind. Cryme Tyme got the victory after blocking a High and Low, and then finishing Cade off with the spinning Samoan Drop/Neckbreaker combo that I swear a ton of teams including The Hurricane and Rosey used previously. Cryme Tyme wins, but theyíd have to wait until 2009 (!!!) before theyíd receive a proper title shot on TV. Nice to know this #1 contenderís match had a purpose. A pretty lousy match that never felt like it was anything other than pure filler. *

Ric Flair vs Kenny Dykstra
With The Spirit Squad dead, Kenny is enjoying a brief singles push that saw him beating The Nature Boy twice on Raw in singles action. Considering the fact that Kenny never amounted to anything, itís difficult seeing this as anything other than a Raw match on PPV, despite Kenny being in the middle of a push. Kenny would dominate in the first half, mostly working over the back and neck since everyone is still focusing on Flairís plane crash injury all of these years later. Dykstra tried and while he did do a lot to the neck, none of it is all that interesting. Once itís time for Flair to make a comeback, heís all about working over that knee to set-up for the Figure Four. Again, Dykstra does a good job selling the knee, but something is just missing from him. If the match suffered from anything, itís the out of nowhere finish with Dykstra backing up in the corner and when the referee pushes Flair away, Dykstra strikes with a low blow to steal the victory. All of that knee work without even seeing a Figure Four attempt. Kenny goes up 3-0 against Flair and gets rewarded by having his push ended. Other than appearing in the 2007 Royal Rumble match, Kenny would never get another match on WWE PPV after this. A bit of a standout considering Kenny would remain with the WWE until late 2008. If there was any clear sign that Dykstraís push was over, it was the fact that Flair, after always failing to beat Kenny, randomly beat Kenny on Raw a couple of weeks later. But hey, for one night, Kenny fín Dykstra was victorious over Ric Flair on PPV. ** ľ

Mickie James © vs Victoria - WWE Womenís Title
Weíre in a transitional period for the WWE Womenís Division. With both Trish Stratus and Lita recently retiring, the company is figuring out who will be the top women, along with Mickie James. For Victoria, thatís good news since that means she gets a PPV title shot. Youíd have to go all the way back to Unforgiven 2004 for the last time that Victoria received an one-on-one title shot on PPV. Mickie is still sporting the little skirt for her ring gear, which I imagine is nearly the end of that before she switched to pants. The actual was okay, as youíd imagine with two perfectly serviceable women workers. The match was bogged down by some outside interactions starting with some bizarre stuff with Lilian Garcia. In the middle of the match, Victoria stood on the middle rope looking at Garcia with Garcia oddly standing up and asking what was up. I imagine there was some sort of Raw angle involving the two. Then later on, Mickie looks to have the match nearly won when Melina ran out trying to interfere. She gets easily laid out by Mickie, but it allowed Victoria to regain the advantage. The commentators claim that Melina and Victoria worked out a deal where Victoria will give Melina a title shot if Melina helped her win the title. Then, to even the odds, Candice Michelle and Maria ran out to attack Melina. This, despite the fact that Melina wasnít doing anything else to be actively involved. James would counter a firemanís carry into a tornado-DDT variation to get the victory. The commentators would praise Candice and Maria for helping Mickie win, but take away their run-in and nothing would have changed. But hey, it accomplished its goal of pushing Melina into the title picture to allow her to become the top heel diva of 2007. * ĺ

Rated RKO © vs DX - World Tag Titles
A rematch from Cyber Sunday 2006, this time with the belts on the line. But wait! Jim Ross states at the start of the match that this feud has gotten so serious that DX cares more about getting revenge than winning the belts! While this is supposed to make this match even more of a grudge match, all it really does is highlight how little importance the belts, other than the World Title, has. Thatís a bit annoying, but I actually quite liked this match. Part of the enjoyment comes from how little I expected to like it since back in 2007, I wasnít exactly a fan of any of these guys. Yet, they went out there and put on a really good match despite the fact that the entire legacy of it is that itís where Triple H tore his quad the second time. Since this is the first time Iím seeing the match, I spent most of it trying to spot where the injury happened. Early on, Orton and Edge started focusing on Hunterís knee and ironically, Hunter is left selling as if heís seriously injured the knee that would be seriously injured later in the match. Hunterís selling is really good and likely one of the best sell jobs Iíve seen Triple H do. HBK is the star of the match though as he gets the hot tag and ends up having the longer face-in-peril sequence complete with a blade job. Itís when Hunter gets the hot tag that the injury clearly happens when he delivers a spinebuster. Right away, it becomes obvious that THIS ďSellingĒ is legitimate as Hunter struggles to do absolutely anything. The next couple of minutes is a total trainwreck as every spot involving Hunter comes off horribly. The guy canít even attempt pins without lazily covering one of the heels. Itís abundantly clear that something needs to happen because Hunter canít continue and apparently the planned finish wasnít just for Rated RKO to win. Michaels calls an audible and just knocks out the referee for the DQ that is never announced. The post-match is when things get suddenly good again with Hunter somehow to look mostly good once the action spills to the outside following DX destroying Rated RKO with chairs in the ring. Hunter actually delivers a Pedigree on the commentatorís table to Edge. The table doesnít break, but itís mind blowing that Hunter is doing such things with a torn quad. Meanwhile, HBK delivers a top rope elbow drop throw the other commentatorís table to a gushing blood crimson mask Orton. Seriously, one of the best blade jobs of 2007 belongs to Orton. The match went off of a cliff with Hunterís injury, but the action beforehand was really good and once the action saw HBK knocking out the referee in bringing in the chairs, the enjoyment got great. The World Tag Titles and the Raw tag division hardly looked good in this, but it exceeded my expectations based on who was in it and its time frame. *** Ĺ

Carlito w/Torrie Wilson vs Chris Masters
A rematch from Backlash 2006. My, how things have changed since then. When they initially split up post-Mania 22, it seemed as if both men were destined to become major stars on the Raw brand. For Masters, he quickly fizzled out after his wellness violation in the summer of 2006 and Carlito just never broke through the glass ceiling. Looking back, maybe Carlito should have been sent to Smackdown or even ECW because once Jeff Hardy returned to the WWE, there were far too many babyface stars on Raw with Cena, DX, and Hardy all taking up the top spots. Unlike in their Backlash match, this one had less fuck ups, but it was still very average. The crowd reaction wasnít there and it just felt like you were watching two guys wrestle who no longer mattered. Carlito slightly entertained with his high flying style, but he even seemed to dial back the spots for this match. The finish was built around a series of counters. It started with Carlito attempting a wacky roll-up, only for Masters to counter that into a Masterlock attempt, but Carlito countered that into a roll-up, but Masters counters that into a pinning position where Masters actually got the pinfall with a fistful of tights. Although at this point is isnít fully clear how utterly dead Mastersí push is, the fact that his PPV future is only built around some Royal Rumble match appearances and a single Survivor Series elimination match in a few years, losing to Masters here makes Carlito look like such a dud. I realize by this point they had to have already planned a heel turn following a brief partnership with Ric Flair, but the loss here firmly established Carlito as just a random guy on Raw. Match was slightly better than at Backlash 2006, but was less meaningful. ** ľ

After the match, Masters locked in the Masterlock just to re-enforce the idea that Carlito was now a geek.

John Cena © vs Umaga w/Armando Estrada - WWE World Title
At this point, Umaga had yet to be pinned in the WWE. Although he had lost by DQ a few times, his run thus far had saw Umaga score victories over the likes of Ric Flair, Jeff Hardy, Sabu, Kane, Triple H, Shawn Michaels, John Cena (Edge was WWE Champion at the time), and even Kamala. The interesting thing about this match is that John Cena, the guy that the WWE has been shoving down our throats for a couple of years, could not figure out a strategy to truly get the best of Umaga. At points, this felt like a squash with Umaga utterly dominating Cena. Even when Cena attempted to get something going, Umaga would either block or Cena would fail under the weight of Umaga. This is a match where Cena was going to win, but Umaga was clearly protected in a huge way. Even when Cena finally manages to lift Umaga up and drop him down to set-up the Five Knuckle Shuffle, Cena then quickly failed when picking Umaga back up for the FU. Umagaís offense is great, heís very frantic and all over the place. Itís as if Cena is battling an animal, who refuses to slow down the action, always charging at the champion. I am, admittedly, a bit unsure on the finish. Umaga attempted his Samoan Wrecking Ball in the corner, but Cena countered with a pair of boots to Umagaís midsection. From there, Cena quickly rolled Umaga up to get the pinfall. On one hand, this loss didnít really hurt Umaga. Umaga still dominated the match and Cena proved that his only way in beating Umaga was mostly by sheer luck. However, youíre doing a rematch in a few weeks at Royal Rumble. Does it really help things by proving that Cena can already find ways of beating Umaga before their I Quit match? At first, I thought perhaps a DQ finish would be good, but seeing as the Rated RKO/DX match already had one, you shouldnít do it again. Maybe Umaga should have just won the title here and then drop it back to Cena at the Rumble? I donít know what the right answer is, but having Umaga suffer his first loss here, only to then be submitted by Cena at Royal Rumble, seems like not the best usage of Umaga. Seeing as Umaga would lose at New Yearís Revolution, Royal Rumble, and Wrestlemania 23, it feels as if theyíre giving up on what could have been their top monster of the year. A good story based match though. Obviously not as good as their WWE MOTY at the Royal Rumble, but it showed that thereís some real chemistry between the two and that Umaga offered something different from Cenaís other challengers of the month. *** ľ

Overall
You should always go into New Yearís Revolution with low expectations. After all, itís a forced Raw PPV thrown in just before the Royal Rumble. In its three year run, itís never been great and often got overloaded with filler matches. For a PPV that is nothing more than just a Raw PPV, I found New Yearís Revolution 2007 to be pretty decent. The three matches that actually mattered, Hardy/Nitro, DX/Rated RKO, and Cena/Umaga all delivered. The bonus match of the tag team turmoil wasnít good, but itís literally a #1 contenderís match where the winners never received a title match! So the match doesnít matter. The womenís match was slightly disappointing, but it did have the purpose of moving Melina into the womenís division after not having much of a role in the division since jumping to Raw in 2006. The Carlito/Masters match ultimately didnít matter and seeing as Masters would quickly become a non-entity in the WWE, it feels like a waste to have Carlito job here. In a time span of just over a month, we saw individual PPV efforts from WWECW, Smackdown, and Raw. Rawís effort of New Yearís Revolution was just in the middle. It wasnít the trainwreck of December to Dismember, but it didnít have a must watch match like at Armageddon. Watch the key matches, but the rest you can easily skip. Considering Royal Rumble 2007 was one of the better Rumble PPVs, thereís obviously far better January 2007 PPVs than New Yearís Revolution.