Child's Play (2019)

Release date: June 21st, 2019
    Studio: MGM
    Director: Lars Klevberg.
    MPAA Rating: N/A
    Screenwriter: Tyler Burton
    Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Brian Tyree Henry, Beatrice Kitsos, Ty Consiglio
    Genre: Horror

Plot Summary: Chucky will be heading back to the big screen in a "Child’s Play" remake. The new version of the killer doll won’t be a doll possessed by a serial killer, but will be a defective ‘Buddy doll’ whose programming code was hacked so that he has no limitations to learning and also violence.

The "Child’s Play" film series has been running for 30 years, with the first film dropping in 1988 to box office success, generally positive reviews and a cult following, spawning six sequels that remained box office successes but slowly started earning more mixed and negative reviews, until the revitalized "Curse of Chucky," which returned to the franchise’s horror roots and earned very positive reviews. The most recent installment, "Cult of Chucky," was released last October and received strong reviews from critics. Brad Dourif has been a staple of the franchise since its inception, lending his voice to the murderous doll in all of the films.

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Child's Play Remake (TBA)

Quote Originally Posted by Necro View Post
    Chucky Returning to the Big Screen in Child’s Play Remake

Man, they can't stop putting out Chucky related stuff.
    I'm all for it if they make it scary again. I liked the last two direct-to-video sequels to a degree, but they still maintain some of the corny later sequel elements. I just want a film that's actually called Child's Play and it's written and directed to be a straight-up slasher/horror movie.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
    I'm all for it if they make it scary again. I liked the last two direct-to-video sequels to a degree, but they still maintain some of the corny later sequel elements. I just want a film that's actually called Child's Play and it's written and directed to be a straight-up slasher/horror movie.
    Agreed. After the first two (meh.. maybe even the third movie too) it got pretty dumb. I still watched the sequels but they were no where near what the first two were.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I think I'd rank them like this...

1. Child's Play 2 (I like that it's full on Chucky right from the get go and it's just always been a bit more entertaining to me than the first)
    2. Child's Play (No argument that the original is still a great horror movie all these years later)
    3. Child's Play 3 (I used to dislike this one a lot but lately it's grown on me plus it's got a guest spot from Andy Robinson so that instantly puts it up a notch)
    4. Curse of Chucky (A nice return to form for the franchise and a good way to start a new story)
    5. Cult of Chucky (I know a lot of people didn't care for this one but I felt it was really fun while continuing on with what was started in Curse)
    6. Bride of Chucky (I'm not a huge fan of the humour element being added but this is still passable)
    7. Seed of Chucky (This movie sucks)

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Kurt Russell Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

My rankings for the series:

1. Child's Play 2
    2. Bride of Chucky
    3. Child's Play 3
    4. Child's Play 1
    5. Curse of Chucky
    6. Cult of Chucky
    7. Seed of Chucky

Bride of Chucky was both a great and awful thing to happen to the series. The high emphasis in the comedy freshened the series up, but it pushed the series to go sillier and sillier. With a smaller and smaller budget with Don Mancini gaining more control, the films started to really suffer. At the same time, Child's Play 1 isn't a particularly good film. For half the film, we're supposed to suspect that the ultra innocent Andy is potentially a killer. It's only in the final act that things pick up with Chucky being able to do his thing. Child's Play 2 is the perfect Chucky film. Chucky is at the forefront and he brings the laughs and the scares. Child's Play 3 is more of the same, just with a weaker script.

The fact that Mancini doesn't seem to be involved in the remake does make me curious to see how they'll handle the film. If it was just Mancini re-booting the series, I likely wouldn't have much interest.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    My rankings for the series:

1. Child's Play 2
    2. Bride of Chucky
    3. Child's Play 3
    4. Child's Play 1
    5. Curse of Chucky
    6. Cult of Chucky
    7. Seed of Chucky

Bride of Chucky was both a great and awful thing to happen to the series. The high emphasis in the comedy freshened the series up, but it pushed the series to go sillier and sillier. With a smaller and smaller budget with Don Mancini gaining more control, the films started to really suffer. At the same time, Child's Play 1 isn't a particularly good film. For half the film, we're supposed to suspect that the ultra innocent Andy is potentially a killer. It's only in the final act that things pick up with Chucky being able to do his thing. Child's Play 2 is the perfect Chucky film. Chucky is at the forefront and he brings the laughs and the scares. Child's Play 3 is more of the same, just with a weaker script.

The fact that Mancini doesn't seem to be involved in the remake does make me curious to see how they'll handle the film. If it was just Mancini re-booting the series, I likely wouldn't have much interest.
    Yeah me rewatching the Chucky Series of films last Halloween time I got a new appreciation for Child's Play 2. The first one to me scares me more than the second one, but still a good sequel and the best to date. I thought Cult was better than Seed and Curse in my opinion, but I can see you being on the opposite end of things. Curse was more horror and Seed was more Comedy and I felt Cult was a better balance of the two at least to me. A Child's Play Remake what do I wanna see, well I wanna see it go back to the roots and truly scare us like as kids like plenty us were back in the day, but it's so hard to do that with a Doll that you can legit kick down the Hallway and the fight be over.

It's that believability to me that is the key to this film and alot of Horror films to sell us on the fact that were really afraid of a person chasing another person with a Knife no matter the size. I'm more afraid of the unknown, of something that you can't see coming, like something demonic than a person in a Mask these days. I think the new Halloween film might pull me back to those days when I was afraid of such things, and hopefully this Movie sends me further down that Rabbit hole.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status

With Filming Underway, MGM Announces Plot and Cast for ‘Child’s Play’ Reboot

With the original franchise still going strong, MGM and Orion are launching their own remake of the original classic, with Lars Klevberg directing a brand new iteration of Child’s Play that has been officially detailed by the studio today. A press release announced that filming has begun.

As we learned yesterday, Aubrey Plaza (Life After Beth) and Brian Tyree Henry (“Atlanta”) will lead the remake’s cast, along with Gabriel Bateman.
    Here’s the official plot synopsis:

“Child’s Play follows a mother (Plaza) who gives her son (Bateman) a toy doll for his birthday, unaware of its more sinister nature.”

At this time, we don’t know if the killer doll in the remake will even be named Chucky, but it seems it’ll be a very different doll. Early plot details referred to it as a “robot doll,” reportedly a doll that gets hacked by a factory worker to remove its limitations and make it a killer.

Tyler Burton Smith (Kung Fyry 2) wrote the script.

David Katzenberg and Seth Grahame-Smith (IT) are producing.
    Here's some information. It better by called Chucky!

Status

I understand it probably won't be voiced by Brad Dourif, but don't you dare change the character's background and his name. If it's not Charles Lee Ray, what are we even doing here?

I'm actually excited by the official cast choices and I've wanted a serious mainstream theater entry to this series for a long time.

I appreciate the Curse and Cult films, but man do we need a film not written by Don Mancini. I'm of the belief Holland is the one we can thank for the magic of the original.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Honestly, if Dourif isn't involved in this reboot, I'm completely fine with the doll getting a different name. It'd be an effective way to differentiate this film with the original series, not to mention it would, in theory, allow both versions to exist in the same timeline, similarly to Evil Dead and its remake. Hearing anyone other than Dourif announce that they're Chucky is already going to be one strike against the film. It's already going to be weird enough with Mancini creating the Chucky television series, no sense in making it even weirder with two very different Chuckys existing at the same time.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Honestly, if Dourif isn't involved in this reboot, I'm completely fine with the doll getting a different name. It'd be an effective way to differentiate this film with the original series, not to mention it would, in theory, allow both versions to exist in the same timeline, similarly to Evil Dead and its remake. Hearing anyone other than Dourif announce that they're Chucky is already going to be one strike against the film. It's already going to be weird enough with Mancini creating the Chucky television series, no sense in making it even weirder with two very different Chuckys existing at the same time.
    Even if the doll wasn't named "Chucky," I'd still want it to be a voodoo practicing serial killer. I don't want this to be some of robot goes haywire and kills people shtick.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Hail To The King

Status

Im for anything Aubury Plaza she is bae. I mean a totally reboot isnt bad idea. I mean I will watch it no Chucky or not. Scream TV series didnt have ghostface & it was good .

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Here's the supposed first look at Chucky

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

They gave him the Classic look nice. I don't want to see a Robot go nuts and want to kill people just do it simple like the first film and see where it goes.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status

Here's a new poster.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Re: Child's Play (2019)

Nice that they didn't give away whether they've changed Chucky's name yet. It does appear that Good Guys have been re-branded as Buddi's though.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Nice that they didn't give away whether they've changed Chucky's name yet. It does appear that Good Guys have been re-branded as Buddi's though.
    With what looks like a Wifi symbol over the "i". Chucky gonna upload his soul to the internet or some shit via smartphone

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    With what looks like a Wifi symbol over the "i". Chucky gonna upload his soul to the internet or some shit via smartphone
    Looks like Buddi's are going to be quite the technological improvement over their predecessors. Just found this website with some more specs on the dolls and it's pretty neat...

https://bestbuddi.com/
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 11-26-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

​​​

Hail To The King

Status

I thought this was suppose to be a Tv series is it a movie ? Chucky scared the shit out of me when I was kid but after it started going comedy I was ok but, if they go the It scary route my nightmares will be brought back to life. You know Aubury Plaza would be a great Tiffany if they went that way but, I think she's just playing hero. When a trailer pops up we will see what the movie really will be.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I thought this was suppose to be a Tv series is it a movie ? Chucky scared the shit out of me when I was kid but after it started going comedy I was ok but, if they go the It scary route my nightmares will be brought back to life. You know Aubury Plaza would be a great Tiffany if they went that way but, I think she's just playing hero. When a trailer pops up we will see what the movie really will be.
    The TV series and the movie is two entirely different things. The TV series is continuing where the last movie left off with Don Mancini still in charge. This movie is a remake that's unrelated to what's going to happen on the TV series and one that Mancini is likely pretty pissed that is happening.

American Ninja

Status

We're going to change his name, no Brad Dourif, and it's not even voodoo it's wi-fi robot doll gone evil, yeah this sounds just about like some gay ass millennial remake horseshit. Pass

Thread Information