Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Birds of Prey (2020)

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Birds of Prey (2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Having an individual woman being more powerful than anyone else does not a feminist movie make. Having multiple prominent women with diverse personalities and relationships with each other and who support each other is just a million times better representation of the evolution of feminism. Wonder Woman is closer for a first wave ideal of feminism. Birds of Prey is a lot more inclusive and wide reaching and closer to a current day model of feminism.

As for the historical accuracy bit. Again, none of these movies are historically accurate. Any historian is going to take it apart on multiple levels. It's only when it comes to character diversity that people feel it's time to bring up historical accuracy.
    Firstly, for what it's worth I haven't seen Birds Of Prey so I can't compare the two. Second, I'm certainly not the right person to be having the "what's more feminist" argument so I won't. TBH, it's not what I'm gonna be judging the movie on when I see it anyway.

That second paragraph is absurd though. You're basically implying that because no movie can attain perfect historical accuracy they shouldn't bother to attempt it at all.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Firstly, for what it's worth I haven't seen Birds Of Prey so I can't compare the two. Second, I'm certainly not the right person to be having the "what's more feminist" argument so I won't. TBH, it's not what I'm gonna be judging the movie on when I see it anyway.

That second paragraph is absurd though. You're basically implying that because no movie can attain perfect historical accuracy they shouldn't bother to attempt it at all.

I think my post was fairly clear and I wasn't implying anything Like I said, it's bizarre that when it comes to historical accuracy, it's only in terms of diversity that there's an obsession to get it accurate.

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    I think my post was fairly clear and I wasn't implying anything Like I said, it's bizarre that when it comes to historical accuracy, it's only in terms of diversity that there's an obsession to get it accurate.
    My apologies if I've read that wrong then, my bad.

Status
      Country                    United States

For what it's worth I'm not critiquing Wonder Woman as a film for historical accuracy or anything like that. It's a fine film and the female representation has nothing to do with that. I'm just noting that the film was generally hailed as a big feminist step forward and I didn't totally agree and strongly feel Birds of Prey did a much better job hitting those kinds of notes and its lack of overall success is stopping it from getting those accolades.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Checked this movie out finally. I think it's the best DCEU movie so far & easily the best of any female-led superhero movie that I've seen. That said the movie was pretty formulaic at the end of the day and especially once they had to face Roman's army, it went into full superhero 3rd act mode where you can probably skip to the end & accurately predict every single thing that happened if you couldnt from the start. I think it would be good enough to be a high end Marvel movie for me. Not quite top 5 but definitely around top 10.

Still enjoy superhero movies but it's harder to fall in love with them and buy into the movie now than it was before. I want as many superhero movies as were currently getting, I just wish they would try harder to make them less by the numbers & not just on a coat of pain level like Deadpool/Birds of Prey.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information