Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Birds of Prey (2020)

[Run]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Birds of Prey (2020)

remember how Doolittle was this big bomb? Just noticed this got beat by it in both films opening weekend in the UK.

this ain't making it's money back.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X104F using Tapatalk

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Have we finally hit that point of Comic Book movie burnout? It feels like there's a new DC or Marvel movie out every second week thesedays, and while this one is apparently different from the norm most of these movies follow the same basic story/plot devices.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Have we finally hit that point of Comic Book movie burnout? It feels like there's a new DC or Marvel movie out every second week thesedays, and while this one is apparently different from the norm most of these movies follow the same basic story/plot devices.
    you mean the same basic story/plot devices that every movie does?

as far as "It feels like there's a new DC or Marvel movie out every second week thesedays" goes, the last superhero movie to come out since Birds of Prey was Spider-Man Far From Home in *checks notes* july.

Last year, there was a total of 9 "superhero" movies amongst which stuff like Brightburn, Fast Color, Glass & Hell Boy are included and they arent exactly the standard fanfare Im sure youre talking about (DC & Marvel).

so if we wanna talk DC & Marvel then DC has 2: Shazam & Joker (and lets be honest, Joker is far from a standard superhero/comic book movie so I didnt even include it in the 9 above) meanwhile Marvel had 4 (Spider Man, Dark Phoenix, Endgame & Captain Marvel). thats 6 of these films in all of 2019 (being generous with joker).

correct me if im wrong.

so can we stop with this saturation nonsense?

and no, one poorly marketed film doesnt mean theres comic book movie burnout. birds of prey went for a rated r rating and really expected to recoup its money when it blocked out a lot of its target demo (teen girls). wasnt a great idea.

but this is the narrative thats gonna be running in all of 2020 because aside from Wonder Woman, its all bunch of poorly thought out films: Bloodshot (mainstream audience doesnt know him and it looks unimpressive compared to the comic book material so even comic fans will be disappointed), The New Mutants ( ), Black Widow (flashback movie? this could surprise me & maybe scarjo is a bigger star than i think but i think itll be a middling MCU movie at best - i can see it being low end MCU box office wise), Morbius (joke. come on, no one gives a shit about Leto or that character ), Venom 2 (could surprise but im keeping my expectations low after Venom 1, theyll need some insanely good trailers i think), the eternals (lots of big names so could surprise for sure but this isnt a known entity and its really relying a lot on the brand name + celeb names to succeed).

no big hitters this year so its going to be so fucking delightful seeing people spam out the double header narrative of "TOO MANY" and "WOW BURNOUT. I GUESS EVERYONES TIRED OF THESE THINGS" all year.

now im all on your side that these movies are too formulaic - but most mainstream movies are -. id love to see them do cooler/more innovative stuff and while i thought joker was a trash movie, i hope execs pick up on its success and try to let creators have more fun with these stories.

[Run]

Status

I should probably say in the name of fairness that DC movies haven't been performing brilliantly in the UK ever since Suicide Squad. Even Wonder Woman, which made loads in the States, finished outside the top 20 grossing films of it's year over here.

I do agree that this year is gonna be hugely different in terms of what's a hit and what isn't though. I think Black Widow will do okay, as Captain Marvel did well and both the character and actress are far recognisable to audiences that Carol Danvers was.

I will say that I do feel burnt out by a lot of these movies now, but I feel that can be partly blamed on a hugely Disney/Franchise heavy box office in general last year. Luckily this year is a lot lighter on that front.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TUFF

Status

Saw this the other day and I went in with low expectations and well, I found it decent. Not really sure why they needed the Birds of Prey in this as it could've easily worked out as "The Harley Quinn" movie but ah well. Such a colorful movie, which I liked. The fight scenes I thought were good but there were also some that felt like they wanted to get to Part A so that they can do Part B and so on. Ewan McGregor played his villain role so over the top that I found him annoying but since I have no context of how Black Mask really is, maybe that's how he is. To me, the villains that make you question if their motivations are correct are the best ones (ex. Joker). But I guess this movie knew it didn't take itself too seriously and they just wanted to have fun with it. That's fine and all but there was a lot of stuff they could've done differently. I believe I saw that movie theaters are indeed calling this the Harley Quinn movie or something like that so people will recognize this movie or was it for online search purposes? Not sure. Either way, I didn't mind this movie but it could've been better.

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Intercontinental Champion

Status

Saw this last night and it was way better than I thought it'd be. To be fair I was going in with expectations of Suicide Squad so it couldn't have been much worse than that. But it was pretty enjoyable, it did feel like it was trying to be Deadpool, but I didn't mind that. The movie as a whole felt much more well put together than most of the previous DC movies, it flowed well and the characters relationships didn't feel as forced as they usually do. But it very much should have been called Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

So, I don't know how I managed to forget what the subtitle of this movie was until I noticed it this morning. Excusing the fact that I was never going to watch this due to the character being poorly portrayed in Suicide Squad, that subtitle is pretentious enough to turn me off the movie entirely. Whoever thought that was a good idea should be blackballed from the film industry.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Birds Of Prey movie overall was not very good not even Robbie who I thought was an alright Harley though I dont like the XXX version of Harley in SS and this is ok. I thought that the movie had some ok parts but, I did like Huntress & Black Canary in this. Black Mask was ok

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Birds Of Prey movie overall was not very good not even Robbie who I thought was an alright Harley though I dont like the XXX version of Harley in SS and this is ok. I thought that the movie had some ok parts but, I did like Huntress & Black Canary in this. Black Mask was ok
    I'd do some mean things to Black Canary in this film. God dayum.

I'm a huge superhero movie buff, but yeah, this one was a miss for me as well. Harley was clearly the star of the show but even her mannerisms started to wear on me and get annoying by the end of the film. The underlying relationship being built between Harley and the kid didn't work for me either.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    I'd do some mean things to Black Canary in this film. God dayum.

I'm a huge superhero movie buff, but yeah, this one was a miss for me as well. Harley was clearly the star of the show but even her mannerisms started to wear on me and get annoying by the end of the film. The underlying relationship being built between Harley and the kid didn't work for me either.
    Why only limit yourself to one sir? Why not have them all.

I actually like this film TBH. Like it's not anything ground breaking by any means but I thought it was a lot of fun. Only think I wasn't so happy about was the limited screen time for Huntress as she was great.

Status
      Country                    United States

I actually liked this one a lot too as a hater of many of the DC lot and would actually describe this as the finest film of their franchise thusfar. Some really charming work from Robbie to rehab her character, Jurnee Smollett-Bell's Canary rules out loud, the soundtrack and score are really energetic and commanding, and the action sequences are bar-none the best of the DCEU so far. I have some quibbles, (I thought Black Mask's characterization was uneven despite a very game Ewan McGregor, Huntress didn't get enough material), but on the whole I found the movie upbeat, enjoyable, and best of all, outrageously feminist. It's depressing how much the marketing really sank this film because as much credit as Wonder Woman got for being a landmark hero movie for women (Sure the main character is a woman and then the entire cast is men all the way down ) this one achieved a lot more in that regard.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    Pathetically Recapping Wrestling's Most Famous Garbage
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic Hall of Famer

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

#BlackLivesMatter

The Flow

Status

I'm with Silk, I really enjoyed this. Chris Messina really surprised me as Victor Zsasz.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang
    [06:01 PM]Dakstang
    :
    Yeah I guess you are right. And I only want to be Daddy to my own kids. Sorry.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    It's depressing how much the marketing really sank this film because as much credit as Wonder Woman got for being a landmark hero movie for women (Sure the main character is a woman and then the entire cast is men all the way down ) this one achieved a lot more in that regard.
    Granted I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but was Wonder Woman really that male heavy? I seem to recall the first half hour of the movie was basically just strong female characters on the island, followed by Wonder Woman being the top fighter in the war and even going up against a female villain. Not to mention, I felt the lead male villain was pretty weak and the male hero served as the sidekick to the female one. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed pretty feminist to me.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Granted I haven't seen it since it was in theaters, but was Wonder Woman really that male heavy? I seem to recall the first half hour of the movie was basically just strong female characters on the island, followed by Wonder Woman being the top fighter in the war and even going up against a female villain. Not to mention, I felt the lead male villain was pretty weak and the male hero served as the sidekick to the female one. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seemed pretty feminist to me.
    Once you got past the island part of the movie, she was predominantly surrounded by men. The only two exceptions was the stereotype comedic plump assistant, and the alchemist. But all the soldiers with speaking roles were men, they were fighting men, the war committee were men, etc. Etc.

Birds of Prey's female characters were more consistently prominent throughout the entire movie, had more relevant female relationships, and had a wider array of female characters. I don't think they're very comparable. One is a lot more surface level feminism, the other feels more genuine in it's intent and a bit less performative (I know they're movies but you know what I mean I hope).

[Run]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    Once you got past the island part of the movie, she was predominantly surrounded by men. The only two exceptions was the stereotype comedic plump assistant, and the alchemist. But all the soldiers with speaking roles were men, they were fighting men, the war committee were men, etc. Etc.
    In all fairness, it was set during WW1. Not a lot female soldiers in that war

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    In all fairness, it was set during WW1. Not a lot female soldiers in that war

Not a lot of sword wielding amazons with magic whips and bulletproof wrist guards either or gods of hell. But you know.

[Run]

Status

Not a lot of sword wielding amazons with magic whips and bulletproof wrist guards either or gods of hell. But you know.
    Right, but the universe they set up takes place in ours, just with superheroes sprinkled in places. It'd be daft to suddenly start changing things like that just to attempt to hammer home a message. It'd come across as super forced.

I know this is splitting hairs, but it just seemed like an unfair criticism. And lord knows I'm not the most ardent defender of the DCEU.

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Right, but the universe they set up takes place in ours, just with superheroes sprinkled in places. It'd be daft to suddenly start changing things like that just to attempt to hammer home a message. It'd come across as super forced.

I know this is splitting hairs, but it just seemed like an unfair criticism. And lord knows I'm not the most ardent defender of the DCEU.

Anyone getting flustered about the historical accuracy of women in DC universe World War 1 is probably watching the wrong movie.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I realize this, which is why I was trying to get at the point that she was portrayed as above all of those roles. Certainly seemed like it to me anyways. Also, as much as it may be splitting hairs, Dave is right. Of course all the soldiers with speaking roles were men, they were fighting men and the war committee were men. It was World War I for christ's sake. Also, the War Committee being all men was meant to be a dig at men not doing things the right way, so, again, it's a plus on the "feminist" side of the movie.

This whole changing history around to suit modern times is silliness. It's the same as when people argued about the lack of female characters in Dunkirk.

Ask Fuji|2020 Movie Log

​​​

All About That Ace

Status

Having an individual woman being more powerful than anyone else does not a feminist movie make. Having multiple prominent women with diverse personalities and relationships with each other and who support each other is just a million times better representation of the evolution of feminism. Wonder Woman is closer for a first wave ideal of feminism. Birds of Prey is a lot more inclusive and wide reaching and closer to a current day model of feminism.

As for the historical accuracy bit. Again, none of these movies are historically accurate. Any historian is going to take it apart on multiple levels. It's only when it comes to character diversity that people feel it's time to bring up historical accuracy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information