Thread: NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed - September 30th 2018

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed - September 30th 2018

NJPW President Harold Meji has confirmed that New Japan will return to the Walter Pyramid in Long Beach on the 30th of September under a show called Fighting Spirit Unleashed. In addition to that, they will also hold two Lion's Gate Project Shows on the 10th and 11th of November called The Lion's Break at The Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California.

------

Match Card
    ACH, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Liger vs Roppongi 3k (Sho, Yoh, and Rocky Romero)

Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian vs Hangman Page and Chase Owens

Jeff Cobb, Chris Sabin, and Flip Gordon vs Hirooki Goto and Best Friends (Chuckie T and Berretta)

Naito, Evil, and Sanada vs ZSJ and Killer Elite Squad

Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kushida vs Gedo and Jay White

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight tournament semifinal: Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll

IWGP Tag Team Championship: Young Bucks (c) vs Guerrillas of Destiny

IWGP US Championship: (c) Juice Robinson vs Cody

Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii vs Kenny Omega and Kota Ibushi

----

Very risk move by New Japan. They run the risk of diminishing returns. Nice to see the Lion's Gate Project in going to the United States though.
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-25-2018 at 01:11 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

Re: New US Show called Fighting Spirit Unleashed announced by NJPW President Harold M

Same month as All In? I don't get that at all, would of thought the slow ticket sales for this weekend would of put them off.

Who's buying tickets to the Lions Gate show? Those are not going to do well.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: New US Show called Fighting Spirit Unleashed announced by NJPW President Harold M

Didn't even realise that this was close to All In. They are really testing the demand from fans. I have a theory for why they are doing this. My theory is they are planing Omega to lose the title at King Of Pro Wrestling and they want to make the most of this title reign hence why they are having another US show. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Didn't even realise that this was close to All In. They are really testing the demand from fans. I have a theory for why they are doing this. My theory is they are planing Omega to lose the title at King Of Pro Wrestling and they want to make the most of this title reign hence why they are having another US show. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Decent theory, I can certainly see a title change at KOPW to get to the Naito/Okada dome match they probably want. Be interesting to see if Omega loses one match (to set up KOPW defence) or two matches in the G1.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Yeah no idea why they are putting the Lion shows in the US unless they are going to get some local talent and bring them to the dojo but that seems highly unlikely.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    Decent theory, I can certainly see a title change at KOPW to get to the Naito/Okada dome match they probably want. Be interesting to see if Omega loses one match (to set up KOPW defence) or two matches in the G1.
    Loses two, to Naito & Ibushi. Called it from the beginning.

I honestly thought he was losing the title to Naito no matter what but this definitely strengthens my thoughts, and I'm sure screwing up multiple times in two weeks while not even drawing like they're supposed to probably didn't make it any harder. Don't get the September show at all, that's just silly to do it in September. The Young Lions show should be somewhere small, I think there's a diehard fanbase out there that will go to any NJPW show no matter what, plus maybe fly in one or two stars for the show and it should be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if they run a lot more shows in the US from 2019 on.
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: NJPW Fighting Spirit Unleashed - September 30th 2018

Full card has been announced

ACH, Ryusuke Taguchi, and Liger vs Roppongi 3k (Sho, Yoh, and Rocky Romero)

Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian vs Hangman Page and Chase Owens

Jeff Cobb, Chris Sabin, and Flip Gordon vs Hirooki Goto and Best Friends (Chuckie T and Berretta)

Naito, Evil, and Sanada vs ZSJ and Killer Elite Squad

Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kushida vs Gedo and Jay White

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight tournament semifinal bout: Will Ospreay vs Marty Scurll

IWGP Tag Team Championship: (c)Young Bucks vs Guerrillas of Destiny

IWGP US Championship: (c) Juice Robinson vs Cody

Main event: Okada and Ishii vs Omega and Ibushi
    Main event looks good but predictably the card is nothing special.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

I think it’s a decent card, will probably feel like a fresh road to show with some US names like Cobb, Sabin, ACH and the addiction.

Lmao at Zack being pulled from the main event of Progress at Wembley to work an opening hour 6 man tag. Could of just subbed in Taichi for him. How come Suzuki can miss the show but not Zack?

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think it’s a decent card, will probably feel like a fresh road to show with some US names like Cobb, Sabin, ACH and the addiction.

Lmao at Zack being pulled from the main event of Progress at Wembley to work an opening hour 6 man tag. Could of just subbed in Taichi for him. How come Suzuki can miss the show but not Zack?
    I am guessing Zack might be a part/focal point of an angle being set up/going forward and Suzuki isn't.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Zack being in a tag match was predictable. But with it being an LIJ 6 man tag, it could lead to something more. Glad guys like ACH and Sabin are back. Had good runs in the BOSJ so I ain't got a problem with them coming back. Goto being in a nothing match is disappointing, shame they couldn't do a Juice match without it being quickly thrown together. Cody is an understandable choice.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

I would say from an in-ring perspective this show's neither bad nor great, but feels very unimportant. I have absolutely zero interest in any of the title matches and Ospreay/Scurll again is an active negative. Scurll doesn't belong on any NJPW shows going forward. The main event should make up for it in-ring but is a very lackluster main event from an interest & box office perspective, they really couldn't do better than this the same month as All In? And wouldn't this have been better before the actual Omega/Ishii title match rather than after, essentially rendering it meaningless.

I don't see any purpose to this show. Should have held back and not diluted their US shows so much.
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

This show so far has 1,154 seats still available for fans to buy with the announcement of the card not doing much to help sell those tickets either apparently. Not good news.

I think Tanahashi and Okada have got the reason for it down pat. No one cares about the US wrestlers brought in. If they want to see them, they would go to their shows. people want to see New Japan matches and New Japan wrestlers. No offence to Jeff Cobb but NO ONE is watching this show for him. People want to see Naito, Okada, Tanahashi, the Juniors, guys like Ishii, Goto and even Makabe compete in meaningful matches. People loved the first US show because it had New Japan wrestlers. Sure it had Lethal but you was able to see Elgin/Ishii vs Omega. Okada in singles action. Most of the time they are in tag matches and doing nothing worth noting. Omega is probably the only one who does anything to take notice off on these shows. They need to start putting more effort in them or don't do them at all, in my opinion. I think they have out stayed their welcome already tbh and it's not a special event anymore. It's in the way basically.

The card looks fine and it should be a good show but it has no buzz from my point of view.
    Last edited by MC 16; 09-27-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The show was actually pretty good. Everything ranged from solid to very good and it was an easy watch. The crowd was poorly mic'd from the sound of it which is a shame because apparently they were very into everything on the show. The main event was MOTN. Ibushi and Ishii showed glimpses of their awesome G1 match with the strike exchanges and the crowd went nuts for it. Surprisingly there wasn't much interaction between Okada and Omega, it was focused around Ishii mostly. Some odd booking decisions too like Cody winning the US title only to challenge Omega and Ibushi in a triple threat for the IWGP Heavyweight title later. The Young Bucks vs G.O.D was good as well. Much better than I expected.

New Japan announced a crowd of 3,007 people for the show which is down I believe from the last show considerably. Expected.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

My MOTN was Ospreay/Scurll, I know Zero hates these guys together but I always enjoy them.

Thought the main event was pretty good, but the same tag with Ospreay in Okada's place in Japan was much better I thought.

That is a pretty bad number when you consider the Progress show that New Japan pulled Ospreay and Sabre Jr from did almost 1,750 more fans.

Thread Information