Thread: WWE Armageddon 2004 Review

Armageddon WWE Armageddon 2004 Review

Armageddon
    December 12, 2004

Rob Van Dam and Rey Mysterio © vs Rene Dupree and Kenzo Suzuki - WWE Tag Titles
    A rematch from No Mercy where Dupree and Suzuki successfully defended the tag titles. In an unexpected move, despite this match already being announced, the go home edition of Smackdown ran this match with RVD and Mysterio winning the titles. Now a few nights later, we get a rematch with RVD and Mysterio’s first title defense and somehow we’re supposed to be alright with paying to get something we literally just got on Smackdown. Since this PPV is taking place in Atlanta, Michael Cole touts all of the success that Mysterio has had in this city. Although Atlanta was the home base of WCW, WCW didn’t go there too often. Even when they did, Mysterio never did anything of real value, only wrestling in meaningless tag or singles matches. It’s obviously not a city, but I’d say if there’s only place in WCW that Mysterio had a lot of success in, it was Florida. Granted, it’s just one stupid line, but Cole just comes off like he knows a random fact about WCW without actually knowing the details of Mysterio’s career. The nice thing about this Mysterio/RVD tandem is that they really went above and beyond in figuring out how to create tag team moves. RVD modified a bunch of his moves to include Mysterio. It’s great! They come across as an experienced team instead of a short lived part-time team. This received a surprising amount of time, going nearly eighteen minutes and despite the fact that it’s kind of hard to care about this since the belts already changed hands, but all four men are working hard. There’s an extended Mysterio face-in-peril sequence before RVD got the hot tag. That only led to more tag moves with Mysterio and RVD. RVD would be the one scoring the pinfall on Dupree with the 5 Star Frog Splash while Mysterio dived onto Kenzo on the outside. Really, really solid stuff, but ultimately unimportant and forgettable. Better than their No Mercy bout. ***

Kurt Angle vs Santa Claus - Kurt Angle Invitational
    Poor Kurt is jealous that his daughter cares more about Santa than him, so he ordered the PPV for his family and he challenges Santa to a match for his gold medals. Angle quickly destroyed Santa with a suplex, the Angle Slam, and forcing Claus out with the ankle lock for the submission. Jesus, are we already struggling to fill time for this show that Angle has to be involved in this glorified angle? SQUASH.

Daniel Puder vs Mike Mizanin - Dixie Dogfight
    Back in 2004, the WWE held the fourth edition of Tough Enough as exclusive segments on Smackdown. The competition had such stars as Ryback, Spirit Squad member Mitch, short lived developmental wrestler Daniel Rodimer, and although he didn’t make the final eight, The Boogeyman was also involved. It’s all come down to these two. Puder, being the obvious favorite since he already came across as a star and Mizanin, well known from his time on MTV’s The Real World. A Dixie Dogfight is a shoot fight comprised of three one minute rounds. But wait! This isn’t for the Tough Enough win. It’s merely a pointless competition before the fans’ final vote. When comparing the styles, I’d say that Mizanin has zero style and instead is just firing off punches like an inexperienced fighter who knows he needs to just fight to survive. For Puder, despite his experience in MMA, he’s not a boxer. You can tell he’s more disciplined and isn’t just firing off punches for the sake of it, but he’s also not kicking ass like you’d imagine. They end up going all three rounds with Smackdown GM, Teddy Long, asking the crowd who they thought won. Apparently they cheered more for Puder so he’s announced as the winner. The crowd did not seem to like this segment at all. At this point, Puder was a MMA fighter and Mizanin had started wrestling in SoCal, so seeing these two try to box in a contest that ultimately didn’t matter, on a show with already tons of filler, is pretty disappointing. Spoiler though, Puder would end up winning Tough Enough, but would quickly fail due to attitude problems. He’d have a short run in ROH and a couple of tours of NJPW, this was virtually it for his wrestling career. As for Mizanin, I suppose he’s had a bit of success in wrestling. While I didn’t think it was boring, it wasn’t as entertaining as Roddy Piper vs Mr. T from WM 2. It’s just another example of pure filler on this lame PPV. NOT RATED.

Backstage, Eddie Guerrero and Booker T, a short lived sorta tag team, goes over their strategy for tonight’s fatal four-way main event. It’s a fun segment that included a cameo from The Undertaker. I wonder if this segment has ever been added as an extra on some DVD. If not, it really should be. If you have the WWE Network, seek out this segment.

The Basham Brothers vs Charlie Haas and Hardcore Holly
    Ugh. People actually had to pay to watch this Velocity level match! This wasn’t even announced ahead of time, just being a last minute addition due to the show running late. Haas and Holly had been teaming up for a bit ever since their regular partners, Rico and Billy Gunn, found themselves released. The team were nothing more than a Velocity regular act. As for the Bashams, they were receiving a new push as being members of JBL’s Cabinet. Although okay workers, The Bashams never found success in terms of getting over with the WWE Universe. This was a typical Velocity match. Technically speaking, it’s all okay, but the fans can’t be bothered to pretend to care. At one point in the middle of the match, there’s a loud “Boring” chant. Just as it looks as if the babyface team were approaching a win, Haas is sent to the outside. That brings out Dawn Marie, someone who had been claiming to be having an affair with Haas, to check on him. That brings out Haas’ fiance, Miss Jackie to get into an argument with Dawn Marie. With Haas distracted by the bickering women and Holly distracted by ordering Haas to pay attention, The Bashams perform a little twin magic and Holly gets a small package’d for the victory. If this match wasn’t disappointing enough for a PPV match, Holly didn’t even have his shoulders on the mat for the most of the pinfall. Had this been the HEAT match before the PPV, it would have been fine. A solid match with a botched finish, but perfectly inoffensive. Instead, it’s pure filler involving guys that aren’t PPV worthy. Lame. * ½

John Cena © vs Jesus - Street Fight - WWE US Title
    Way back in October, the WWE explained away a Cena injury with an angle that Cena had been stabbed in a nightclub. It ended up being revealed that Jesus, former PWG wrestler, Aaron Aguilera/Hardkore Kidd, and Carlito bodyguard, was responsible for the attack. Since then, Cena had regained the US Title, Carlito went out with a legit injury, and Cena set his sights on Jesus. This is the debut of the short-lived spinner US Title. A title that generally gets forgotten due to the creation of the spinner WWE Title months later. To kick off the match, Jesus got a kendo stick to the back of Cena. From there, it’s all Cena. Like...literally all Cena. It’s a weird match in that it’s booked like an Attitude Era main event including fighting in the crowd, but it’s just all Cena offense. Looking back, this time period, but especially this match, is a clear sign that Cena is heading into a monster push. Eventually, Cena decides that he’s wasted enough time and finally pinned Jesus after the FU. Oh, and if you felt as if this extended squash was PPV worthy, it was literally given away for free, in full, on the next edition of Smackdown with a replay. Oddly, Jesus would leave the WWE after this match to return to the indies. Jesus would end up returning for a couple of PWG matches in 2005 and would get several tours with AJPW, but would ultimately end up having a surprisingly unremarkable wrestling career. Although I bitched a lot about his PWG run due to not working as a big man, the fact that he did have some size, I’m shocked he didn’t manage to have a greater career in WWE or at least TNA. SQUASH.

Backstage, Charlie Haas prepares for his role as Smackdown referee for the next match as Miss Jackie bitches about Dawn Marie. Haas suggests that Jackie give him her engagement ring for safe keeping. Hmm…

Dawn Marie vs Miss Jackie
    Charlie Haas is your special guest referee. After initially being a part of the Dudley Boyz vs Haas/Rico feud, Dawn Marie found a new role recently by claiming that she had been sleeping with Miss Jackie’s fiance, Haas. Now it’s a chance for Miss Jackie to get some revenge. As a reminder, people had to PAY to see this match. There’s not much to say about this. It doesn’t even go two full minutes. They tried to get in some moves, but it’s mostly just hair pulling before Dawn Marie got the victory with a roll-up while holding the tights. It may be fourteen years after the fact, but I’m SO glad I bought Survivor Series 2004 and then skipped over to New Year’s Revolution for the next PPV I’d spend money on. ½ *

After the match, Haas gets on the mic to announce that the rumors are true and he had been having an affair with Dawn Marie. He teases using Jackie’s engagement ring to propose to Dawn Marie before calling her a slut. Haas leaves on his own to the applause of the fans when that couldn’t have been the intention. Now, you’d think that this would be the start of a new angle, but in reality, I honestly can’t remember Haas doing anything other than being in random tag matches with Hardcore Holly until his release six months later. SO glad this was done on a PPV.

The Big Show vs Kurt Angle, Mark Jindrak, and Luther Reigns
    Ever since Show’s return back in October, he’s been engaged in a feud with Angle. This included a Show singles victory against Angle at No Mercy and Show pinning Angle in their Survivor Series match. Now with his two buddies, Angle looks to get a victory over his rival. There isn’t a whole lot to say about this match. The heels dominated in the early going thanks to their numbers advantage, but eventually, Show took over. Despite it being a handicap match, Show managed to keep some of his opponents out of the match to focus on one man. At the very end, Reigns is on the outside, Angle gets the steel steps kicked into his face on the outside, and Jindrak is pinned following...the F5. What? I realize Show was starting to experiment with his big moves around this time period, but why is he winning matches with the F5? Considering how much this PPV was already struggling with important matches, I have no clue why they wasted a star like Angle in this. This could have easily just been Show vs Jindrak/Reigns. Not good, not bad, and frankly, not even PPV worthy. **

Spike Dudley © vs Funaki - WWE Cruiserweight Title
    The HISTORIC first match that I ever reviewed. Way back in early/mid 2007, I opted to review a match and for whatever reason, I selected this one. To earn this title shot, Funaki won a battle royal on the go home edition of Smackdown. It’s truly a telling sign what a lame PPV this is when even the Cruiserweight Title match, in general a filler match typically, involves a guy who is best known for being a backstage announcer and a guy who up to a few months ago, was a regular on HEAT. This pathetic match-up was done on Velocity way back in August 2004! And to think, they could have at least had established Cruiserweight stars like Chavo Guerrero or Billy Kidman in this or at least a new star like Paul London. Instead...we got Funaki. On PPV. To highlight what a pathetic challenger Funaki is, Michael Cole announces that he’s only held one title, the WWE Hardcore Title, in his eight years with the WWE. Fuck. They can’t even be bothered with knowing how long Funaki has been in the WWE! In reality, it’s only six years, six and a half if you want to be more accurate and Funaki’s Hardcore Title reign just came in that awful WM 2000 match where a bunch of men briefly held the title. This was...a decent match. Funaki found himself front suplex from the top rope to the outside to allow for a lot of Spike offense. The crowd doesn’t care and why should they? This is the best example of the Cruiserweight Title being the Jobber Title. Funaki eventually makes a small comeback, even managing to counter a Dudley Dog and managed to surprise Spike with a jackknife cover for the victory to become the NEW WWE Cruiserweight Champion. Jesus, can this title be treated as any more of a joke? Had it been a non-title match, it would have been a fine Velocity main event. Instead, say it with me...we had to pay to get see this! As bad of a champion as Funaki looked, it could have been okay if his title reign been built around defying the odds and proving himself. Instead, he lost it a couple of months later at No Way Out after not doing anything of value with the title. Once he lost the title, he went back to being a JTTS for years until his rebranding as Kung Fu Naki got him a few victories. Meh. On a good PPV, this would have been fine, but this PPV desperately needs some good and important matches. ** ½

Backstage, JBL meets up with each member of his Cabinet as they give him luck for his fatal four-way match. Even though it isn’t stated, it’s clear that everyone in the Cabinet, including JBL, is assuming that he’s losing the belt tonight.

JBL © vs Booker T vs Eddie Guerrero vs The Undertaker - WWE World Title
    After shady wins over all three challengers on PPV in previous encounters, JBL has to face them all tonight. This is a match that actually gets a good amount of praise. Not so much MOTYC talk, but rather standard, “Hey, this match is worth watching!” talk. Truthfully, that seems a bit much to me. It wasn’t bad, but at least in the context of this high suckitude of a PPV, it wasn’t noteworthy either. Without a doubt, the highlight of this match was the interaction between Taker and Guerrero. It begins with Eddie pulling out a ladder and innocently hitting Taker on the outside in the middle of the match before the two are able to have a full on sequence later on. It makes me wish these two had a PPV match (WM 21?) between each other with Guerrero using all of the cheating tactics he can think of to try and conquer Taker. Even JBL getting involved in table spots can’t compare to how much fun it is seeing Taker vs Guerrero. Besides, part of the frustration of the match is that the finish is just a retrend of No Mercy. Taker seems to have the match nearly won as he picks JBL up for the Tombstone, only for Heidenreich to run out and attack Taker to prevent a new champion from being crowned. But wait! There’s more! Heidenreich attacks again after Taker tried to get back involved in the match, locking in a Cobra Clutch on the outside. It’s during this submission hold that JBL apparently hits a Closeline from Hell on Booker T, but the camera completely misses it. We cut from the Cobra Clutch to the pinfall to witness JBL...sigh...pinning Booker T to win the match and remain WWE World Champion. Had this been a Smackdown main event, it would have been a fun and slightly bigger than normal main event. Instead, it’s clearly a filler main event on PPV as JBL is transitions between his 2004 challengers (Guerrero, Taker, and Booker) to his 2005 challengers (Angle, Show, and Cena). I’ll even go as far to say that this could be fun if you watch it on some DVD comp, but this is the main event of a PPV with one match after another that wasn’t worthy of even being on PPV. So the result is that this is another disappointment. JBL still being champion, despite being the weakest in this match, is quite frustrating. But still, this match did make me want to see a Guerrero/Taker match. ** ½

Overall
    There you have it, easily the weakest WWE PPV of 2004. Frankly, it’s not even close. You can look at any other PPV in 2004 and there’s either one really, really good match or at least matches that felt important. Literally, Armageddon 2004 kicked off with a match that we just saw on Smackdown a few days earlier...except there wasn’t a title change here. From this point on until the main event, most of the matches feel as if they would have fit better on Velocity with only the handicap match being deserving of being on Smackdown. Even then, the main event is only deserving of being on PPV when the rest of the card is big enough to support an otherwise not so big main event. For what it was, the opening match was pretty fun. The PPV has some odd appeal in seeing The Miz’s first PPV match. The main event features two really enjoyable pre-match segments earlier on in the PPV. Unless you’re really into the WWE Cruiserweight Title scene at the time, there’s not any real reason to watch this PPV when you can see superior episodes of Smackdown in the very same time period. I’ve seen worst PPVs, but Armageddon 2004 is one of the weakest PPVs I’ve ever seen in terms of importance. It was such a waste of its original $35 price tag and frankly, you’re far better spending three hours watching other things on the WWE Network.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: WWE Armageddon 2004 Review

Between this and New Year's Revolution 2005, that's got to be the worst 1-2 in WWE ppv history.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

I think this is the only show between 2004-2007, that I never got on DVD. I see why. Typical Christmas show from the looks of it, only you have to pay.

Good review though.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

To follow up about Jesus, I think he was injured too which is why the match was a squash.

Never saw this show apart from the Cena/Jesus match (only cause it aired on Smackdown in the UK the following week for some reason), but yeah the card wasn't exactly compelling.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

As you mentioned Jim, the show was bloody terrible.

Only highlight of the show was Eddie Guerrero. His mannerisms in the backstage segment when arguing with Booker T because 'Taker overheard them... And his begging off when 'Taker looks to get revenge on being hit during the match were pure gold. Much like you said, a 'Taker/Guerrero match from here would have been awesome.

I guess at least SVR ran it when Eddie stole the urn or whatever that angle was.

Quote of the night from Haas "Jackie when it comes to making love, you're like making love to a cold wet fish".

GOAT

Status
      Country                    United States

I forgot how absolutely juiced out of his mind Dupree was back in 03-04.
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

What a terrible show.

Smackdown was really shafted in the draft in 2004. It's a weak roster to have to carry out a full PPV, but then you look at the booking... RVD and Rey? Stuck with Kenzo Suzuki. Kurt Angle? One third of the jobbing team in a handicap match. Cena? In a squash against a nobody. 'Taker, Booker and Eddie? All crammed in to one match, and lose to Bradshaw. Sure, the roster sucks, but you can get way more mileage out of that combination of guys. Like, seriously, you have Angle, Eddie, Taker, Booker, Cena, RVD, Rey, Big Show and JBL, plus the likes of Kidman and London sat at home, and THIS is what you end up with? Awful. Just... awful.

Fun review though!

WAKE UP

Status

there was some dross on this show but i remember liking the main event and the juniors match. Cena squashing Jesus was amusing. looking back the roster in 2004 had some real stinkers pushed though

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Between this and New Year's Revolution 2005, that's got to be the worst 1-2 in WWE ppv history.
    It certainly has to be up there for consecutive PPVs especially when you factor in lack of importance.

Quote Originally Posted by German Dave View Post
    To follow up about Jesus, I think he was injured too which is why the match was a squash.
    If Jesus was injured, why have him in such a long squash? That's when you run something really short instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Smackdown was really shafted in the draft in 2004. It's a weak roster to have to carry out a full PPV, but then you look at the booking... RVD and Rey? Stuck with Kenzo Suzuki. Kurt Angle? One third of the jobbing team in a handicap match. Cena? In a squash against a nobody. 'Taker, Booker and Eddie? All crammed in to one match, and lose to Bradshaw. Sure, the roster sucks, but you can get way more mileage out of that combination of guys. Like, seriously, you have Angle, Eddie, Taker, Booker, Cena, RVD, Rey, Big Show and JBL, plus the likes of Kidman and London sat at home, and THIS is what you end up with? Awful. Just... awful.
    Both Kidman and London were involved in a tag match on HEAT with Kidman/Akio vs London/Chavo. Considering all that had happened with the Cruiserweight division involving Kidman at the end of the fall of 2004, a triple threat with Kidman vs Chavo vs London would have been a fitting match for this PPV. It certainly would have felt bigger than The Bashams vs Haas/Holly.

It was also at this time period when creative had nothing for The Dudley Boyz to do, so they got to sit at home for months until their contracts ran up in 2005. Even though you can easily argue that The Dudleyz were stale by 2004 (Or far before that), a stale Dudleyz team still means more than a never over Bashams.

You're entirely right about Smackdown's poor usage of their few stars. With how few stars they had, obviously they couldn't book a full 3 hour show with all big matches, but had they pit big star vs big star, they could have had a few big matches instead of just the one that they had.

The Boneless

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    After the match, Haas gets on the mic to announce that the rumors are true and he had been having an affair with Dawn Marie. He teases using Jackie’s engagement ring to propose to Dawn Marie before calling her a slut. Haas leaves on his own to the applause of the fans when that couldn’t have been the intention.
    Not sure what it says that this was during the height of my WWE love and this is the only part of the actual show I remember.

I remember Cena feuding with Carlito and Jesus, Cena getting "stabbed" and returning at Survivor Series, but definitely don't remember him having a PPV match with Jesus.

And I remember Big Show feuding with Angle and his goons, but don't remember an offical handicap match, just a lot of 3 on 1 beatdowns. It was during this time that Angle shot Show with the tranquilizer dart and shaved his head right? Haha good times.

ECW HAS RETURNED TO THE BTB SECTION

Quote Originally Posted by ranthellacious View Post
    Not sure what it says that this was during the height of my WWE love and this is the only part of the actual show I remember.

I remember Cena feuding with Carlito and Jesus, Cena getting "stabbed" and returning at Survivor Series, but definitely don't remember him having a PPV match with Jesus.

And I remember Big Show feuding with Angle and his goons, but don't remember an offical handicap match, just a lot of 3 on 1 beatdowns. It was during this time that Angle shot Show with the tranquilizer dart and shaved his head right? Haha good times.
    It makes sense that the Haas thing is the only thing you remember for the simple reason that that's the only truly meaningful thing that happened. It may have been a low card angle without any follow-up, it was a definitive event.

JBL had already had multiple PPV matches against his three challengers.

Big Show had been feuding with Kurt Angle and company since October (Which is also when the head shaven angle took place) and had met Angle in two previous PPV matches.

Jesus was merely a secondary player in the Cena/Carlito program, so the two matches that actually mattered were the title switches that took place after No Mercy and after Survivor Series.

Thread Information