Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Official WrestlingClique Mafia Bible - Guidelines and Resources

God's Gift to God

Status

Official WrestlingClique Mafia Bible - Guidelines and Resources

In the General Chat thread we opened up discussion about some basic rules and guidelines that all Mafia games should follow. I was encouraged by several people to make this thread so we can keep the discussion going formally. This pertains ONLY to the basic game mechanics all Mafia games should have. Basically, how the actual game works and various steps and protocols that should be followed pertaining to the game mechanics ONLY. This does not venture into the territory of limiting Game Designers on how to run their games or what they can and cannot do. Only the basic, barebones rules that every Mafia game should operate inside of and this thread's intention is to make these guidelines known to any prospective Designers, as well as house resources for those interested.

This is an open discussion on what we collectively believe these guidelines should be. This thread is open to ALL suggestions and ideas, provided the discussions are civil and informative. There's no need to be combative or condescending as the only intention of this thread is to make Mafia on WrestlingClique operate at its full efficiency and make designing games easier in the future.

As the discussion wages on, I'll update this thread with the agreed upon guidelines to make this the OFFICIAL thread pertaining to the guidelines and make it fancy and everything. That way all future Designers have a resource to look into, not only when creating games, but if there are situations that pop up during a game that requires consideration so as to limit any interactions with players currently involved in said game and soliciting their opinions.

REMEMBER: This is an OPEN DISCUSSION. This is intended to be a helpful guide and outline the game we've all spent so much time invested in. If you oppose any ideas feel free to disagree, but again, be RESPECTFUL and informative on WHY you disagree. Give alternate theories or perspectives and try to remember this is to help the game grow and thrive, not kill it dead in its tracks.

----====----====-----

Having said that, I'll open with some of my ideas really quick. I'll probably be more in-depth later but for now just reiterating some things I've stated in the general thread:

-Modkills should erase the character and player from the game regardless of abilities or story implications. Someone inactive is the doctor? Oh well. Town doesn't have a doctor anymore. Perhaps consider installing a backup doc to compensate for modkills specifically or something of that nature. No "on-death" perks should be activated. Basically, if you are modkilled then you never existed within the context of the game no matter how it affects the game. Additionally, except perhaps under EXTREME circumstances, the mod should not be able to implement improvised abilities to influence the game.

-Adding onto the above, and not saying this has even happened yet, but mods should not interact with the game in any capacity NO MATTER what. Using the above example, if you have to modkill the doctor, cop or even the mafia don then I don't think there should be any improvised abilities. Maybe going forward it becomes somewhat common practice, although CAREFULLY MONITORED, to add backup roles that are ONLY activated if modkills occur. This needs to be considered when balancing the game, however.

-I still think some form of committee should exist who balance the schedule, vote on propose Rules changes, decide suspensions or bannings for mods/players. Basically, a group of people who keep the peace. Balance and checks.

-Yes, I think suspensions should be a thing. No, I don't think people should be outright banned for one, two, or even three modkills. People make mistakes and that's perfectly fine. But in order to keep a hardline to prevent people from ruining games I really think this is something that should happen. Instead of people blatantly revealing in one game that a mod allows, then getting modkilled in the next for the same thing, there should be blanket rules for suspensions that prevent people from abusing different mods and tainting games. I won't mention names at all but there's been multiple occurrences where I think people got away with bad faith and going forward we should try to LIMIT that. Yes, you can control modkills. NO, modkills shouldn't be an accepted part of the game. That's what the committee would decide on.

-Without directly limiting Designers on what they can do, I think we should CONSIDER some type of time management to keep games from dragging. Even if this is RECOMMENDED day and night lengths for people to use as a resource.

-Additionally, I think we should have a formal RECOMMENDED game size. No, not a LIMIT on every game but a recommended skeleton for people to reference on what we believe would make an efficient and fun game.

-All the obvious stuff that mods already say: No outside communication and this should extend to REP COMMENTS. I've seen some shit that really shouldn't be said during games and this includes people being killed off who are leaving comments. If you're dead, you're dead.

-Full-on ban on active players being in the general chat thread. Realistically, there shouldn't be anyone commenting on current games. I feel like we're all guilty of this including myself. But this shouldn't be ok. I don't know if this means every game should have an accompanied discussion thread (which sounds really stupid and cluttery) or what but we should get better at this.

-Eventually maybe we should link to some actual mafia sites/resources so people have a one-stop-shop for design choices.

-You must have at least 50 posts to sign up as well as being active. We’ve had to many new folks or barely active posters sign up and then get modkilled or not do any research.

At this point post with anything you have. Ideas, criticisms, agree disagree on anything. Nothing I said above is OFFICIAL and simply my opinion. That's why we're here. Let's work together to get the barebones stuff hammered down so going forward there aren't any instances like in the last game that could POTENTIALLY affect the game.
    Last edited by Coxatron; 07-03-2018 at 06:50 PM.

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Official WrestlingClique Mafia Bible - Guidelines and Resources

I’ll add a good one:

You must have at least 50 posts to sign up as well as being active. We’ve had to many new folks or barely active posters sign up and then get modkilled or not do any research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy Batshuayi View Post
    I’ll add a good one:

You must have at least 50 posts to sign up as well as being active. We’ve had to many new folks or barely active posters sign up and then get modkilled or not do any research.

Having a post requirement is a good shout. Especially so people can't come in and spam shit and get whatever minimum posts they might need for other stuff on the forum.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchy Batshuayi View Post
    I’ll add a good one:

This is actually a rule I enforced in earlier games, must have 60 posts OR VIP membership. Game runners after me never enforced this because everyone wants to run a 28 man game.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

I agree with the host not getting involved in the thread or chatzy. I did it, admittedly, in my game but I honestly felt like I influenced the game more than I should have. Better to just not get involved.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Out of curiousty if you are hosting a game and feel like a power is OP can you should you be able to nerf it during game

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Out of curiousty if you are hosting a game and feel like a power is OP can you should you be able to nerf it during game
    I would say as host you should be making sure there's a balance to everything in your roles, including that one before the game starts.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

God's Gift to God

Status

Anyone have anything else substantial to add? Shakeybabe and whoever else that wanted to see this here thread come to frution - you got some good stuff?

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Additionally, except perhaps under EXTREME circumstances, the mod should not be able to implement improvised abilities to influence the game.
    I understand the point of putting in the anomaly scenario but it needs to be detailed and explained. "Extreme circumstances" is subjective and it could result in a slippery slope.

All of these rules are really good, though.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Anyone have anything else substantial to add? Shakeybabe and whoever else that wanted to see this here thread come to frution - you got some good stuff?

Got a post coming for you dawg. Will edit it in here later. Just busy honestly.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden Roo's View Post
    I understand the point of putting in the anomaly scenario but it needs to be detailed and explained. "Extreme circumstances" is subjective and it could result in a slippery slope.

All of these rules are really good, though.
    Absolutely. Initial post is just baseline ideas and was really hoping to get people in here helping expand on what the hard language is.

Would love any detailed input you could provide, brotha.

And @shake you been busy with the second civil war bro

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

Absolutely. Initial post is just baseline ideas and was really hoping to get people in here helping expand on what the hard language is.

Would love any detailed input you could provide, brotha.

And @shake you been busy with the second civil war bro
    I don't know what the extreme circumstances would be, either. Something that breaks the game? But that, too, can be subjective if a mod feels "breaking the game" is just an instance where one team is at a distinct advantage.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

God's Gift to God

Status

Truthfully that was something that I thought would be left up to the committee. Assuming the committee doesn't fly then honestly I believe that text could be removed.

Or specified that unless multiple modkills happen simultaneously that remove balance in the game. But again that can be subjective. So maybe just remove that line?

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Why should we punish a team for doing good? No way should a mod change the balance of a game, midgame, just so his/her game runs longer.

Status

Truthfully that was something that I thought would be left up to the committee. Assuming the committee doesn't fly then honestly I believe that text could be removed.

Or specified that unless multiple modkills happen simultaneously that remove balance in the game. But again that can be subjective. So maybe just remove that line?
    I'm going to assume that's the case.

I would think now that modkills have become such a significant talking point that future game runners would account for possible modkills in the balance of their initial setup.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Status

I would like to propose that game sign-ups not be posted until the game before theirs has begun, with no more than one active sign-up thread at a time.

This is more in regards to running this section than about game-running, but it's a discussion I'd like to have.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I would like to propose that game sign-ups not be posted until the game before theirs has begun, with no more than one active sign-up thread at a time.

This is more in regards to running this section than about game-running, but it's a discussion I'd like to have.
    I think the situation with your game is kinda proof it's hard sometimes to get the sign-ups you need with only a few weeks time to get them.

Wang's and Mitch's game haven't had new posts in over a week and yours was stickied. People saw the thread. It's just people are kinda slackers when it comes to actually signing up. You either have to wait for them or you have to personally ask them to sign up.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
    I think the situation with your game is kinda proof it's hard sometimes to get the sign-ups you need with only a few weeks time to get them.

Wang's and Mitch's game haven't had new posts in over a week and yours was stickied. People saw the thread. It's just people are kinda slackers when it comes to actually signing up. You either have to wait for them or you have to personally ask them to sign up.
    That's not the issue, if it's an issue at all. Maybe people just don't want to play, or maybe they're distracted and confused by the littany of threads posted, which has already been documented.

When this section was born we never had more than one sign-up thread at a time and we managed to put together some enormous games on only a few day's notice. You do not need weeks or god forbid months to get people to play your game. You only need months if you're trying to reach some insane thirty man goal and need time to PM a bunch of potential modkill targets.

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    That's not the issue, if it's an issue at all. Maybe people just don't want to play, or maybe they're distracted and confused by the littany of threads posted, which has already been documented.

When this section was born we never had more than one sign-up thread at a time and we managed to put together some enormous games on only a few day's notice. You do not need weeks or god forbid months to get people to play your game. You only need months if you're trying to reach some insane thirty man goal and need time to PM a bunch of potential modkill targets.
    I don't see how a single person was confused when your thread was stickied and listed as being next in the schedule and you and Jiggy both posted in the thread it was next. Jiggy even updated the thread last week he would keep it open for one more week before starting the game.

Even if your goal was 20 you'd still not have reached it within 3 weeks. I mean we could force people to PM spam over the course of one week to meet a goal, but that also means you have to craft your entire game a week before you post it, too. Seems like a recipe for more balance issues to me.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Status

tbh I'd really just like to hear from some others on this because it's clear you and I fundamentally disagree here, but please, go back to the first season of threads here and observe how easily they hit targets of 20+ people on two weeks notice. If you're concerned about numbers, it's doable.

I'm not concerned about numbers, I'm concerned about simplicity and ease of access. The section is a mess right now and I don't think there's any reason for it.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Thread Information