Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official WrestlingClique Mafia Bible - Guidelines and Resources

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Official WrestlingClique Mafia Bible - Guidelines and Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    tbh I'd really just like to hear from some others on this because it's clear you and I fundamentally disagree here, but please, go back to the first season of threads here and observe how easily they hit targets of 20+ people on two weeks notice. If you're concerned about numbers, it's doable.

I'm not concerned about numbers, I'm concerned about simplicity and ease of access. The section is a mess right now and I don't think there's any reason for it.
    I'll let others talk, but I just know from a personal standpoint I don't want to have to craft my entire game in like 2 weeks. I need to know if I can hit my planned roles to balance the game.

Even as a comprise I think saying you have to wait until one month before you're scheduled to post the thread would be fair. I just don't think it should based on the game that's next.

Anyways, I've said my peace here.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
    I'll let others talk, but I just know from a personal standpoint I don't want to have to craft my entire game in like 2 weeks. I need to know if I can hit my planned roles to balance the game.
    Everyone else has done it, I don't know why you need to be the exception.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

Everyone else has done it, I don't know why you need to be the exception.
    I mean this is kinda why I was against this guidelines idea because does every game runner have to do everything the same?

It's not even just me or this wouldn't be an issue.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Status

I mean this is kinda why I was against this guidelines idea because does every game runner have to do everything the same?

It's not even just me or this wouldn't be an issue.
    Do you want some advice on game-running, because I'm sure some of us can help.

Write out 16-20 roles way before you even do sign-ups. You don't need to have the concrete numbers in place, 16 is a pretty common target to hit. When you actually do the sign-ups, if you end up with 22 folks, take your list, tweak a few things, add some simple roles, and you're done. If you end up with 14, take your list, see what's ancillary, remove some roles, tweak a few things.

This is how I ran both Avengers and Pokemon and both were well-recieved and generally regarded as balanced. You can make a vague outline of your game before you have your sign-ups. It's no different than what you'd have to if you put your sign-up thread up a half a year in advance and got 20 people right away. Then a week before the game starts, five more people see the thread and sign-up. You've got to adapt in that scenario and that's with having a six month window.

It's not hard to do. I've already started outlining my roles for Kingdom Hearts and that game isn't for four or five months and I have no idea how many people I'll need. I'll have a two week sign-up window and adjust what I have accordingly, but I'll have done the majority of the work long before the thread is even posted.

WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Do you want some advice on game-running, because I'm sure some of us can help.

Write out 16-20 roles way before you even do sign-ups. You don't need to have the concrete numbers in place, 16 is a pretty common target to hit. When you actually do the sign-ups, if you end up with 22 folks, take your list, tweak a few things, add some simple roles, and you're done. If you end up with 14, take your list, see what's ancillary, remove some roles, tweak a few things.

This is how I ran both Avengers and Pokemon and both were well-recieved and generally regarded as balanced. You can make a vague outline of your game before you have your sign-ups. It's no different than what you'd have to if you put your sign-up thread up a half a year in advance and got 20 people right away. Then a week before the game starts, five more people see the thread and sign-up. You've got to adapt in that scenario and that's with having a six month window.

It's not hard to do. I've already started outlining my roles for Kingdom Hearts and that game isn't for four or five months and I have no idea how many people I'll need. I'll have a two week sign-up window and adjust what I have accordingly, but I'll have done the majority of the work long before the thread is even posted.
    I appreciate the advice. I already started writing my roles. I just like having the buffer of time to "know" I'll hit the number I need for the roles I wrote out ahead of time. Whatever is decided I'll do my best to work with. Thank you for the response.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Status

I think the situation with your game is kinda proof it's hard sometimes to get the sign-ups you need with only a few weeks time to get them.
    False. I've had 26 people sign up for a game 2 weeks after the thread went up and I did it without PM panhandling. There are variables that go into it, such as traffic being spread thin among 5 different sign up threads and two different in-game discussion threads.
    Last edited by Jiggy; 07-11-2018 at 04:54 PM.

-
    "I'm not an Avenger. I'm not Thor. Or Cap. Or Peter. I'm just a kid in a mask. Doing the best I can. But I'll never give up on the world. Or this city. Or anyone that needs me. I'm Miles Morales. And I'm Spider-Man."

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
    False. I've had 26 people sign up for a game 2 weeks after the thread went up and I did it without PM panhandling. There are variables that go into it, such as traffic being spread thin among 5 different sign up threads and two different in-game discussion threads.
    Your thread was stickied and it shows up in new posts every time someone posts in it. I doubt for one second any other threads were responsible. Especially since most of those other threads have been dead for nearly a week.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

God's Gift to God

Status

I do think signup threads going up too soon also contribute to inactive players. People sign up today if a thread goes up but the game doesn't start for over a month. There's really no way to know for sure if you can hold the commitment.

Realistically I'd say you should have roles written and balanced before you even think about sign-up threads. Then allow yourself leeway if you get more sign ups. But I really think we should stop doing these gigantic games all the time in general.

I don't know what the hardline on signups is. Maybe threads shouldn't be allowed until 2 weeks before the approved start date. That would probably shut down a lot of the threads going on at once. You can still advertise the game being worked on in the general thread or we can make an advertisement thread similar to BTB to hype future games.

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Think everyone could do with taking a step back here, calming down and stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Mafia's been successful here for 2 years by leaving the power and the decisions to the game runners and allowing everyone else to just sign up and play when they want and have fun. There was a point last year where everyone got tired of mafia and it went out of fashion for a bit and if you're not careful that's the direction you'll end up going in again. This is exactly why I'm against a dedicated mod in the section or creating a committee of sorts, you're gonna end up making things stricter in here than on any other part of the board and sucking all the fun out of it.

The modkill issue feels like it's getting overblown, but I'd still lean on leaving the power and decision making in the hands of the runner rather than a guideline on what they must do.

As far as I can see the main problem at the moment is a lack of patience in waiting for a new game to start. There might be something in only wanting one sign up thread at a time, but I don't think it's been that hard to work out Silk and Jiggy's game is next up when it's stickied and 1st the schedule. I think itchy feet in not being able to play a game for a few weeks is starting to tell.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

fyi, the influx of sign up threads and there being 5 million games at once has caused me to not want to bother much. It feels like, at times, people are just hungry to run their own game and everyone's falling over one another to get threads up and shit.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    fyi, the influx of sign up threads and there being 5 million games at once has caused me to not want to bother much. It feels like, at times, people are just hungry to run their own game and everyone's falling over one another to get threads up and shit.
    Agreed. My point on a lack of patience works for both eager game runners as well as players.

Status

Silk has a stickied schedule of when the games are going to take place and unless I missed it only one game gets played at a time.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Status

Silk has a stickied schedule of when the games are going to take place and unless I missed it only one game gets played at a time.
    I don't think you get the point I was making.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

I don't think you get the point I was making.
    You said 5 million games at once.

I mean if more people wanting to host games is a problem, would the solution be to have fewer people host games? I'm just not getting this hostility.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Status

I think a good formula is to put your sign up thread up whenever the game directly in front of you starts. Specifically even during a night phase of the game in front of you. I think that's the best time to start your thread and should give you plenty of time. The time the game in front of you starts and the time it ends plus the few weeks cool down you SHOULD have in between games is ample time to get signups.

I didn't think about my voting thread being the same as a sign up thread, but I can see how it can be the same effect as one in regards to other games.

I'm going to suspend voting until the next game starts. I think most people who were going to vote have already done so anyway.

Status

I mean if more people wanting to host games is a problem, would the solution be to have fewer people host games? I'm just not getting this hostility.

I meant game threads not actually active games

the section used to be pretty calm and ordered but now it's becoming chaos because everyone's desperate to get their own game out and have people sign up. just makes me not want to bother because it's oversaturation to the maximum and the games aren't even starting yet.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

God's Gift to God

Status

More people wanting to host is good. The problem is that there's no regulation and people do what they want. That's sorta why some of us are interested in trying to get some kind of regulation. I'm 100% with shake. I sign up but then another signup thread goes up. Then another. People can argue we're going too deep on trying to make some things formal over informal but this is exactly what we've been discussing.

If people can literally do anything they want it's going to turn into a clusterfuck. I'm of the belief that eventually we could do multiple games at one time so I'm definitely not opposed to signup threads going up in advance. But people cooking up ideas and posting the game thread with sign ups before the next game in the schedule even goes live is not good. I've been working on a mass effect game for like 6 months or something and I'm not even thinking about trying to get signups until I'm ready to really go and there's an opening in the schedule.

You shouldn't need multiple months for signups. If 36 people want to play in a game I think that's way too much and we should be really careful doing shit like that. The roles shouldn't be dependant on the number of signups. Create the roles and balance the game to your liking and get a solid number. Then open it up. If you end up with extra people wanting to play then consider making extra roles and balancing not the other way around.

Status

This has one hundred percent been the feeling I've been getting. Thank you for putting it into words.

Whoever mentioned an advertisement thread, I really like that idea. I know most people put their upcoming announcements in the chit chat thread but I feel like they tend to get overshadowed quickly by other discussions. Could be a fun and simple addition.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

Whoever mentioned an advertisement thread, I really like that idea. I know most people put their upcoming announcements in the chit chat thread but I feel like they tend to get overshadowed quickly by other discussions. Could be a fun and simple addition.
    I know I put a preview up in the chitchat thread and it got buried in quick order with this discussion we've been having. So I'm 100% for an advertisement thread.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Hail To The King

Status

Would it be ok to post an thread for my game or should I wait a lil

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Thread Information