Thread: WWE: Where It All Begins... Again

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

WWE: Where It All Begins... Again

WWE Post-Attitude Era
    A Timeline Of Bad Decisions

April 2001:
    Arguably the biggest babyface star in wrestling history, Stone Cold Steve Austin, turns heel by uniting with arch-nemesis Mr McMahon in the main event of Wrestlemania in his home state. Crowd think Vince has turned face.

April 2001:
    Stone Cold Steve Austin aligns with Triple H, the man who tried to murder him in a hit-and-run 18 months earlier. Austin feuds with The Undertaker in a rivalry that was played out in 1998 and 1999 when they faced before.

May 2001: After a decade-plus of "what ifs" for a WWF vs. WCW storyline, Lance Storm is the first WCW wrestler to invade WWF.

June 2001: Hugh Morrus is the second.

June 2001: Mike Awesome is the first WCW wrestler to win a WWF title.

June 2001: Booker T and Buff Bagwell stink out the Tacoma Dome.

June 2001: Goldberg, Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair and Sting stay at home and watch from a distance.

June 2001: ECW joins with WCW to fight WWF. Stephanie McMahon is revealed as owner.

July 2001: Stone Cold Steve Austin turns babyface.

July 2001: Stone Cold Steve Austin turns heel.

October 2001: The Alliance is now made up of such WCW legends as Test, Christian and Ivory.

November 2001:
    The WWF vs. WCW war ends after five months, in a ten-man match featuring eight guys who worked for WWF before it started.

November 2001: Stone Cold Steve Austin turns babyface. Pretends last seven months didn't happen.

November 2001: Ric Flair debuts, literally one day after he could have been used in the invasion angle.

November 2001:
    Debut of the Vince McMahon Kiss My Ass Club. Undertaker turns heel by making Jim Ross kiss Vince's backside.

December 2001: The one guy worth a shit in the WCW invasion angle, Rob Van Dam, is jobbed to The Undertaker, then feuds with Goldust.

January 2002: Triple H returns, looking like Lemmy and Harley Race had a fat, talentless baby. Wears a denim jacket over a leather jacket for some reason. Is gassed walking to the ring. Is given a monster babyface push.

February 2002: The New World Order debut, months after they could have been used in the WCW invasion angle. They lose all their intrigue in one segment, lose all their matches at Wrestlemania, Hulk Hogan turns babyface, Scott Hall is fired, Shawn Michaels and Booker T join, and they disband. All within four months.

March 2002:
    Triple H feuds with Stephanie McMahon over their dog. Wins Undisputed WWF Title. Stephanie is banished from WWF forever. Chris Jericho is also there.

March 2002: Company is split in two to punish Ric Flair, less than two months after Vince McMahon promised to kill his own company.

April 2002: In the first pay-per-view after the company was split in two because there's just too much damn talent, Al Snow and Maven compete for the Tag Titles, and Bradshaw is in singles action.

April 2002: Stone Cold Steve Austin feuds with The Undertaker in a rivalry that was played out in 1998, 1999 and 2001 when they faced before.

April 2002:
    Hulk Hogan ends Triple H's epic one-month Undisputed Title reign. Title proceeds to hotshot a further five times before the end of the year, and becomes Disputed in the process.

May 2002: Company name "gets the F out" after being sued by the World Wildlife Fund.

June 2002: Stone Cold Steve Austin also gets the F out, frustrated at what a shitty company this has become. Kevin Nash suffers sympathy pains and tears quad.

July 2002: Eric Bischoff debuts, a year after he could have been used in the WCW invasion.

July 2002: Stephanie McMahon returns, with forever having been "four months".

August 2002: Triple H and Shawn Michaels begin their re-enactment of the Hundred Years War.

September 2002: Stephanie promotes a gay wedding. Doesn't deliver.

September 2002:
    Eric Bischoff promises Hot Lesbian Action. Doesn't deliver. Stephanie McMahon kisses Rikishi in drag.

September 2002: A year after being hot, Rob Van Dam is given a World Title shot. Loses to Triple H.

September 2002: Dawn Marie begins relationship with 98-year-old Oscar winner Al Wilson.

October 2002:
    Kane is accused of having sex with a corpse. Loses to Triple H.

October 2002: Undertaker is accused of having an affair. Second Hell in a Cell Match in five months is booked.

November 2002:
    Brock Lesnar starts feuding with very unover Big Show. Big Show ends Lesnar's undefeated streak, wins WWE Title. Loses it the next month.

November 2002: Scott Steiner debuts, over a year after he could have been used in the WCW invasion. Sucks. Loses to Triple H.

December 2002: Dawn Marie promises lesbian sex with Torrie Wilson. Doesn't deliver.

January 2003:
    Dawn Marie and Al Wilson get married in their pants. Al Wilson dies from too much sex.

February 2003: Montreal Screwjob ripped off again. Introduces Sylvan Grenier to the world.

March 2003: Booker T, having been one-half of a comedy tag team for a year, is given World Title shot. Is racially abused. Loses to Triple H.

March 2003: Highest profile match at Wrestlemania is Vince McMahon vs. Hulk Hogan. No-one buys the show.

March 2003: Brock Lesnar tries Shooting Star Press. Lands on head.

March 2003:
    Goldberg debuts, two years after he could have been used in the WCW invasion. Wears a wig.

April 2003: Kevin Nash returns. No-one cares. Given World Title shot. Third Hell in a Cell match booked in 13 months. Loses to Triple H.

May 2003: Brock Lesnar is still feuding with a very unover Big Show.

May 2003: Kane gets a shot at the World Title. Loses to Triple H. Unmasks. Is interesting for first time in five years. Feuds with Shane McMahon.

July 2003:
    Implied that Eric Bischoff rapes Linda McMahon.

August 2003: Goldberg, having failed to connect with WWE audiences since his debut, finally clicks in Elimination Chamber match. Loses to Triple H.

September 2003: Where it all gets rebooked... again.

White Iverson

Status
      Country                    Australia

Re: WWE: Where It All Begins... Again

First off I do not take kindly to the shots taken at Kevin Nash. How dare you, sir!

2003 is a fun place to book. The roster immediately after Mania is one of the most stacked and for the most part that would be intact for your starting point. Obviously the big point of interest is the turn towards 2004 and how you go about the Benoit period of wrestling. I've thought about booking the period right before the Rumble and removing Benoit entirely thus completely changing the course of history. Very interested to see how you go about things. Good luck!

Sometimes I write stuff on the internet and people like it (sometimes).

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

WWE Booking 101 - You'll never get what you expect or what sounds right.

Subscribed!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Your last thread was awesome and I'm sure this will be to. So many different avenues you can take this with the amount of talent still on this roster. Push Rhino. And I'll be happy camper.

Seriously though, best of luck, I'll be following as always.

No Easy Way Out

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Favourite opening post ever? Might just be. I thoroughly enjoyed your last thread keef, so to see you booking WWE - something I can relate to much more easily - has me very interested. Especially given the time period. Will be reading for sure.

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Great opening post. Such a fun roster during this time frame, loads of ways to take things. I'll be reading.

Intercontinental Champion

Status
      Country                    England

Great time to book and to be a reader, also brilliant first post with just the right digs at the right places. Excited for this.

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Looking forward to it. Hope your ballsy and keep Benoit.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putig View Post
    This. Can't have that ruthless aggression without the most ruthlessly aggressive star of that era.

t h e b o n e l e s s

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putig View Post
    100 Percent Agree.

Underdog

Status

I laughed so hard when i read your opening post this morning...like part of me just wants you to recap all the storylines until present time as your BTB...that would get my vote for BTB of the month...in seriousness..i wasnt here for your other BTB but i heard great things so im glad im here now.

Underdog

Status

Thanks guys, appreciate the support!

You're all absolutely right that this is a fascinating point in the company. The roster has pockets of incredible talent, but it's such a weird mix. Alongside the people of immense value, it's all old WCW main eventers and Attitude era midcarders and OVW clones. The main event scene seems to be based around "hey, remember this guy? He sucks now, and he's getting a title shot for some reason."

But more than that, pre-2004 is a total mess across the whole company. It has zero identity. There's such a scattergun, throw-shit-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach that it's jarring to read that timeline, let alone actually watch the product week-on-week. There's maybe 10 things on that timeline that is shock value for the sake of shock value. And McMahons all over the product, of course.

But around this time, things started to calm down a little. Something resembling a plan took over. It wasn't always good, but at least you could understand what they were going for. In the short term they pushed Eddie, Benoit and Bradshaw. Long term Cena, Orton and Batista. They toned down the shock value and gave us... well, not actual "value", but something resembling that. For better or worse, the company as we know it now kind of started around this period. That makes it a really fun period to book. It's setting the tone for the next 15 years.

The other main bit of feedback was about Benoit. Don't worry, he's in here. I'll be sensitive about how I handle him to not cause offence, but to Sykotic's point, you can't really do something in this era and not include him.

As a general point, while there will be some small similarities with the previous project (like a somewhat realistic approach to hiring and firing), it will mostly be entirely different. That one was all about summaries leading up to big events. This one is a more standard BTB. There will be more detail in each Raw and Smackdown here than there was in my PPVs on the WCW one. It may mean some of my posts have bigger breaks between them, but it'll give me the detail and level of creativity I'm looking for. There are a few guys on the roster in particular that I'm looking forward to writing about, and hope that comes across.

Anyway, next will be the rosters and a recap of recent events and feuds leading up to my first show. Thanks again for the support!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

I'm expecting WrestleMania XX to be off the charts! So true what you've mentioned regarding the booking of this time period though, so much work that needs to be done here. Rhino to go over 'Taker at WrestleMania!!!

Seriously looking forward to seeing what you do with this, and how you wrap things up with Brock and Goldberg considering your hiring and firing rule. Also at this time pretty sure guys like Sean O'Haire was still on the roster, Mordecai would potentially be around, Jindrak and Cade could come in. Really intrigued to see what you do with some of the 'next generation' talent coming through.

Outside of that, I did expect this to be a show and it wasn't. So stop teasing and post one. Thanks.

Red n White Army!

Status

As good an opening post as I have seen here on BTB! Hooked me in completely!

100% waiting for the first show!

BOOOOOOOM! #SUFC

Underdog

Status

Apologies all, had intended to follow up the earlier post immediately with the Raw scene setting post, but when I was 90% through formatting I had to deal with some personal shit. Raw scene setting is now, and hopefully the Smackdown one tomorrow if everything goes according to plan.

Quick note that Stojy reminded me of - while this will follow a similar ethos to my previous BTB with hirings and firings, I will have a little more creative license than I used before. I'll generally stick to who was in the company and when, but not exclusively.

Anyway...

Roster

Al Snow
    Former Attitude-era babyface now only appearing for bi-annual job.

Batista
    Injured and inexperienced enforcer of main heel stable Evolution. Has a lot of muscles.

Booker T
    Injured babyface, recently stripped of his Intercontinental Title shortly after winning it.

Bubba Ray Dudley
    One half of the babyface Dudley Boys, current Number One Contenders to the Tag Titles.

Chris Jericho
    Egotistical heel with potential to be star with right booking, but currently directionless. Best friend of Christian.

Chris Kanyon
    Talented heel jobber.

Christian
    WWE Intercontinental Champion. Obnoxious heel. Recently had makeover to ditch his E&C look. Best friend of Chris Jericho.

D-Von Dudley
    One half of the babyface Dudley Boys, current Number One Contenders to the Tag Titles.

Gail Kim
    Won the Women's Title in first match three months ago but proved not ready. Now heel aligning with Molly Holly.

Garrison Cade
    Very young and newly-debuted babyface OVW prospect. Teams with Mark Jindrak.

Goldberg
    The biggest star in WCW with longest undefeated streak in wrestling history. Joined WWE six months ago and is the Number One Contender to the World Title.

Goldust
    Weird babyface lower-midcarder who seems to be on the way out without better booking. In odd-couple team with Lance Storm.

Hurricane
    Superhero-themed babyface teaming with Rosey.

Ivory
    Heel former Women's Champion, now jobber.

Jacqueline
    Babyface former Women's Champion, now jobber.

Lita
    Immensely popular former Women's Champion. Been on the shelf for over a year with a broken neck.

Kane
    Monster heel who recently unmasked and began causing havoc.

Lance Storm
    Straight-laced lower-midcarder who seems to be on the way out without better booking. In odd-couple team with Goldust.

Mark Henry
    Monster heel midcarder, but with limited success over previous... seven years. Teams with Rodney Mack as Thuggin' and Buggin' Enterprises. Managed by Theodore Long.

Mark Jindrak
    Former WCW prospect now part of rookie babyface tag team with Garrison Cade.

Maven
    Babyface Tough Enough winner. Has eyebrows.

Molly Holly
    Women's Champion. "Pure" heel aligned with Gail Kim.

Randy Orton
    Young but talented member of dominant heel stable Evolution. Recently began "Legend Killer" moniker.

Rene Dupree
    World Tag Team Champion. Part of the French heel tag team La Resistance with Sylvan Grenier. Managed by Rob Conway.

Ric Flair
    Legendary 16-time World Champion. Member of dominant heel stable Evolution, largely as old mentor figure.

Rico
    Flamboyant babyface jobber.

Rob Conway
    Heel French sympathiser aligned with La Resistance. Debuted last month.

Rob Van Dam
    Injured, but due back shortly. Popular but directionless babyface. Likes weed.

Rodney Mack
    Teams with Mark Henry in heel Thuggin' and Buggin' Enterprises team. Managed by Theodore Long.

Rosey
    Babyface "Superhero in Training". Teams with Hurricane.

Scott Steiner
    Former WCW Champion who debuted late last year and has completely shit the bed. Now a babyface midcarder feuding with Test.

Shane McMahon
    Fearless semi-active son of WWE owner. Babyface.

Shawn Michaels
    Legendary former WWE Champion who returned mid-last year and looks better than ever. Likes God.

Spike Dudley
    Diminutive babyface younger brother of the Dudleys.

Stacy Keibler
    Reluctant babyface manager of heel Test. Has legs. Knows how to use them.

Stevie Richards
    Talented heel jobbber.

Sylvan Grenier
    World Tag Team Champion. Part of the French heel tag team La Resistance with Rene Dupree. Managed by Rob Conway.

Test
    Heel midcard bully. Managed reluctantly by Stacy Keibler. Sounds very Canadian.

Tommy Dreamer
    Popular ECW legend, essentially a babyface jobber.

Triple H
    World Heavyweight Champion since December last year. Head of dominant heel stable Evolution.

Trish Stratus
    Babyface star of the Women's division.

Val Venis
    Former Attitude-era babyface midcarder, now a jobber. Used to do porn.

Victoria
    Crazy heel of the Women's division.

William Regal
    Injured British snob. Not expected to return to in-ring action for months.

Other interesting personnel

Co General Managers:
    Eric Bischoff & Steve Austin
    Commentators: Jim Ross & Jerry Lawler
    Referees: Earl Hebner, Mike Chioda, Jack Doan, Chad Patton

Initial roster thoughts

What a mismatch of talent this is.

You’ve got a very small number of stars, like Goldberg, Triple H and Shawn Michaels, a handful of talented but underused guys like RVD, Jericho and Christian, Attitude era failures like Venis, Test and Goldust, WCW rejects like Steiner, Kanyon and Storm, failed youth prospects like Garrison Cade, Maven and Rodney Mack, fat, useless versions of Tommy Dreamer and Mark Henry, and future stars in Orton and Batista.

There’s just no identity there. What even is this roster?

What’s been happening?

Eesh.

We’re bang in the middle of Triple H’s reign of terror. He’s been champion for nearly a year, and aside from a brief interlude with a couple of guys, he stayed that way in real life for another year and a half. He's just come out of possibly the most egregious burial, where he won the Elimination Chamber at Summerslam whilst injured by pinning Goldberg. Basically, Triple H thought he was late-80s Ric Flair, but he’s actually mid-90s Barry Windham.

He’s in Evolution, but this Evolution isn’t the one you know. It’s master of the universe Hunter, with Flair at, honestly, his most pathetic, and a green and still not entirely over Randy Orton. Batista was in it before he got injured, but he’s basically a bag of steroids at this point. However you remember Evolution, this was not that version.

Meanwhile, we had ALL MCMAHONS, ALL THE TIME! Kane had just been unmasked (by Triple H, obviously) and grown an edge he’d been lacking for a good 4/5 years (including a not-fake-or-hilarious-at-all literal burning of Jim Ross). So, given he has a sudden cache he's not had in a while, what do you do with him? Have him squash the entire roster? Look for revenge on Triple H? Push him to the main event and the World Title? No. You feud him with SHANE MCMAHON. On the show before I started, we’d had Shane kick Kane in to a burning dumpster (a literal one, not a metaphorical one). In the real first show I’m going to book, Kane electrocuted Shane’s nads. It… wasn’t great.

Eric Bischoff has been General Manager for over a year. At the start of 2003 he fired Steve Austin for health reasons, who then was made Co-General Manager. He immediately overshadowed the rest of the roster and was made to look the biggest star, without being able to step back in the ring and pay any of this off. He has been banned from attacking any of his wrestlers without physical confrontation, which, frankly, doesn't sound so much like a heel move as it does common sense. But maybe I'm just getting old.

Also we had feuding announcers, evil Frenchmen, Chris Jericho was being treated like a nobody… ugh. Let’s just move on to Smackdown, where the main programme is *checks notes* Vince McMahon vs. Stephanie McMahon.

Remind me why I’m doing this again?

What do I need to know going in to the first show?

Goldberg has put his career on the line for a title match at Triple H at Unforgiven. Randy Orton keeps getting in Shawn Michaels’ shit, and along with Triple H and Ric Flair, has been making Michaels’ life difficult. Maven, of all people, has been helping Michaels out.

Kane unmasked, Tombstoned Linda McMahon, and found himself getting beaten up on the reg by Shane McMahon for some reason. Molly Holly is the Women's Champion working alongside Gail Kim, doing what they can to keep the belt away from the outnumbered Trish Stratus. The Dudley Boyz are standing up for America against Frenchmen La Resistance and French sympathiser Rob Conway. Theodore Long is managing an African American group called Thuggin’ and Buggin’ Enterprises. Test is being a dick to Stacy Keibler while she is forced to be his manager, and renowned gentleman Scott Steiner is standing up to him.

Oh, and JR and King are feuding with Al Snow and Jonathan Coachman. I’m all for realism, but that’s one feud that will be quietly forgotten.

God, can we talk about Smackdown already?

Backyarder

Status

Loving the OP, good stuff, and the follow up re-capping Raw is also great.

The humour in this is spot on so far for my tastes. Looking forward to the SD recap.

EDIT: Also, I meant to say, that this is around the time I started watching WWE full time, so this is a very intriguing time to see what you do with it. It's one of my favourite times in the WWE simply because it's when I started watching, but also because, whilst it had its flaws, they seemed to put more effort in to actual storylines back then compared to now, even for the more basic midcard feuds where as today things just get dropped or have little effort put in to them.
    WMXX was my first Wrestlemania so will be very much looking forward to what you do with that.

Note: I did watch some WWE prior to this time, but it was only odd shows here and there as a kid when we could for some reason pick up the reception off next doors satellite dish :D Was also mates with the lad next door and have a fond memory of staying up late watching the Summerslam at Wembley, but other than watching it I don't have any vivid memories of the actual matches. I was young and pretty tired by the time it finished!
    Last edited by sebsy; 07-06-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Squash Fodder

Status

I wish you luck booking 2003 and onwards. The whole Triple H buries everybody bugged the hell out of me when it was happening as I watching it

The other garbage of the time, like Shane McMahon being a credible threat to Kane and Chris Jericho going nowhere fast alongside the abysmal Vince/Stephanie program over on Smackdown eventually caused me to stop watching the regular weekly shows at the end of 2003. Fairly obvious that you’ll do better

Can’t wait until your first show is up

Underdog

Status

Thanks for the feedback guys, glad this era appeals to others as much as it does me! Hope you stick around and follow as we go...

Roster

A-Train
    Monster heel midcarder. Hairy.

Big Show
    Biggest wrestler in the world, in girth if nothing else. Heel former World Champion, now aligned with Vince McMahon.

Billy Gunn
    Injured babyface midcarder, multi-time Tag Champion. Has unhealthy fascination with backsides.

Billy Kidman
    Babyface high-flier, former Cruiserweight Champion. Aligned with Rey Mysterio.

Bradshaw
    Babyface ass-kicker and beer-drinker. Tags with Ron Simmons as the APA.

Brian "Spanky" Kendrick

Fun and talented babyface jobber, but young enough to become a somebody in time.

Brock Lesnar

Heel monster who combines insane feats of strength with an amateur wrestling background. Aligned with Vince McMahon. Debuted early last year and is already a 2-time WWE Champion, Royal Rumble winner and King of the Ring.

Charlie Haas

WWE Tag Team Champion. Part of heel amateur-wrestling-themed World's Greatest Tag Team with Shelton Benjamin.

Chavo Guerrero

Injured. Babyface nephew and tag partner of Eddie Guerrero.

Chris Benoit
    Veteran babyface workhorse starting to get mightily over.

Chuck Palumbo

Heel member of the FBI with Nunzio and Johnny Stamboli.

Danny Basham
    One half of the heel Basham Brothers team with "identical" twin Doug.

Doug Basham

One half of the heel Basham Brothers team with "identical" twin Danny.

Eddie Guerrero

United States Champion. Teams with nephew Chavo. Lies, cheats and steals, and is absolutely beloved for it.

Funaki

Babyface jobber. Smackdown's Number One Announcer, despite not being able to speak English. Poor Michael Cole.

Hardcore Holly

Veteran babyface midcarder. Injured after Brock Lesnar legitimately broke his neck.

Jamie Noble
    Heel white trash former Cruiserweight Champion. Managed by girlfriend Nidia.

John Cena
    Young heel midcarder with a white rapper gimmick who is starting to get pretttty over.

Johnny Stamboli

Heel member of the FBI with Nunzio and Chuck Palumbo.

Kurt Angle

Babyface WWE Champion. Won an Olympic gold medal with a broken freakin' neck.

Matt Hardy Version 1
    Obnoxious quasi-cult leader heel of Mattitude. Followed by Shannon Moore.

Nunzio

Heel leader of the FBI with Chuck Palumbo and Johnny Stamboli.

Orlando Jordan

Young babyface jobber with a good look and little else.

Rey Mysterio
    Cruiserweight Champion. Incredibly popular and innovative babyface high-flier. Aligned with Billy Kidman.

Rhyno

Recently heel-turned animalistic brute with a popular finisher. Loved by Stojy.

Rikishi
    Formerly very popular dancing Samoan midcarder, now barely active.

Ron Simmons

Babyface ass-kicker and beer-drinker. Tags with Bradshaw as the APA.

Scotty Too Hotty
    Fun dancing babyface jobber.

Sean O'Haire

Midcard heel with a great gimmick who totally bombed out and has practically left the company. Huge missed opportunity.

Shannon Moore

High-flying heel follower of Matt Hardy.

Shelton Benjamin

WWE Tag Team Champion. Part of heel amateur-wrestling-themed World's Greatest Tag Team with Charlie Haas.

Tajiri
    Recently heel-turned Cruiserweight Title Number One Contender.

The Undertaker
    The Phenom. The Deadman. Big Evil. Booger Red. The Conscience of the WWE. The man of more nicknames than title reigns. Babyface main eventer still in his ginger biker phase. Number One Contender to WWE Title.

Ultimo Dragon

Legendary Japanese Cruiserweight babyface who has struggled to get over since joining the WWE several months ago.

Zach Gowen

One-legged babyface. Yet to win a match.

Other interesting personnel

WWE Owner:
    Vince McMahon
    General Manager: Stephanie McMahon
    Commentators: Michael Cole & Tazz
    Referees: Nick Patrick, Charles Robinson, Brian Hebner, Jimmy Korderas

Initial roster thoughts

It’s… better than Raw. There are quite a few talented guys here, like Brock, Angle, Benoit, Eddie on top, Rey, Matt Hardy, Jamie Noble, World’s Great Tag Team underneath. Throw in The Undertaker and an up-and-coming John Cena, and things don’t look too bad. There are still too many A-Trains, Hardcore Holly’s and Billy Gunn’s, but it’ll do.

What’s been happening?

That’s the problem. The “Smackdown Six” were quite a while ago now. Instead, Brock Lesnar has aligned with Vince McMahon (for some reason) and being a coward (again, for some reason). He tapped to Kurt Angle at Summerslam, who he had beaten in the main event of Wrestlemania XIX.

The real lead story, though, is ALL MCMAHONS, ALL THE TIME (again). Stephanie McMahon is the General Manager, but her father Vince wants her out of the job. Because of her hiring Hulk Hogan back? Or hiring the one-legged Zach Gowen? I don’t really know why he hates her so much. I also don’t know why he doesn’t just fire her if he wants her gone. In real-life, they ended up having the most heavily promoted match at No Mercy, under I Quit rules. This came after he had the most highly-promoted match at Wrestlemania with Hulk Hogan, which itself came after Hogan was "fired" but came back as Mr. America, which was just Hulk Hogan under a... you know what? Forget I said anything. My head hurts.

On the plus side, while they’ve been largely overlooked, the likes of Benoit, Eddie, Rey and World’s Greatest Tag Team are getting steadily over in the midcard, despite the booking's best efforts. If more emphasis was placed on them, and less on Big Show, A-Train and the APA, we'd be getting somewhere. Aside from that… not a lot.

What do I need to know going in?

Angle and Lesnar are on collision course for a rematch. Vince wants Steph out and will force it in the ring. ‘Taker seems to like Steph and vice versa, despite the whole “Dark Wedding” thing. 'Taker won a Triple Threat match with Big Show and Brock the week before, meaning he has a title shot at Kurt Angle's WWE Title on Smackdown.

Eddie Guerrero turned heel on Tajiri, but was so entertaining they had to almost-immediately double-turn them, and Tajiri focused on Rey Mysterio and the Cruiserweight Title. John Cena is still a midcard heel with a rapping gimmick, but he's gradually getting bigger reactions and has started getting involved with big names, like Undertaker and Eddie. Rhyno turned heel on Benoit.

Everything else is ticking along without any real stakes. All in all, things need shaking up, and quickly. The pieces are there in places, but it needs a tweak to come together.

Up next... the first show!

Last edited by Keefmoon; 07-06-2018 at 04:19 AM.

Backyarder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Vince wants Steph out and will force it in the ring.
    Is that legal?

Ah this is bringing back such early memories of my time watching WWE. I do hope Paul London is going to come in and team with Brian Kendrick, one of my favourite teams at the time.

As you say, the SD roster looked so much better during this period. Eddie, Lesnar, Angle, Benoit, Undertaker, an up and coming Cena, WGTT and an interesting Cruiserweight Division.

Good stuff so far, roll on the first show.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Absolutely love the recaps that you're providing here. A nice bit of insight into each wrestler and obviously my favourite comment was the Rhyno one. Good looking out.

Push Sean O'Haire also please.

You obviously know what you're doing with this booking thing. Can't wait for this first bloody show now.

Thread Information