Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WWE Extreme Rules 2018 Discussion

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2018 Discussion

Actually, Grim, I think they'll go the route of doing Asuka vs Carmella AND Ellsworth, with Asuka winning clean there.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

When your defence for Carmella includes the phrase 'I know she won't put on many wrestling clinics' it's never a good sign. Why raise the bar that much to where we're apparently desiring wild expectations for this womens division. None of these girls are putting on wrestling clinics and no-one expects them to, but what they are capable of are having good little TV matches, potentially really good PPV matches and at the bare minimum do not embarrass themselves and their opponent with their standard of work (Lana's actually worse than Carmella at that if we're searching for people worse). WWE are aware that she's very limited as a wrestler, between October 2017 and her cash in over 6 months later, Carmella had TWO singles matches on TV, she wasn't injured, they just know it exposes a pretty weak wrestler on their audience.

Jinder Mahal being brought into the argument is a weird one because they are both bad wrestlers, but they are bad for totally different reasons. Carmella has charisma, can cut a promo, can get more out of the material she's given, gain heat via means that aren't the colour of her skin and has developed her own fanbase to the point where she's quite popular so she knows how to get over and market herself. Also apparently it was her idea to bring Ellsworth into her act the first time, so she's got a creative mind too. Jinder has none of these talents; he was a one-note Vince project that failed, plus he sucked in the ring. Where Carmella falls down is she's so bad at wrestling you have to tailor matches to hide her flaws, and if you want to push her you have to have sports entertainment finishes that make her opponents look like dorks.

Jinder Mahal didn't make me stop watching Smackdown, it was the combination of his bad segments and matches plus Kevin Owens' bad segments and matches and Charlotte and Natalya's bad segments and matches. Likewise, Carmella isn't the only reason I don't watch Smackdown anymore. It's a combination of her bad reign making nothing matter in that division, Jeff Hardy being pushed, Daniel Bryan's return being wasted, Bludgeon Brothers being too gimmicky, AJ/Nakamura never ending. It always takes more than one bad thing to be on a show to get me to throw my hands up and say I'm not watching this anymore. Can't speak for others though.

The most surprising thing I've read in this thread today is this idea that they're telling an obvious story with Asuka and she'll recover and get revenge eventually and we're just being marks that aren't letting it play out. Firstly, if that is the story they're telling that commentary need to stop bickering so much and get that theme across, because watching that match on Sunday it didn't feel like there was a mental issue of previous failure that was holding Asuka back (like say Gargano post DIY), it was purely Carmella outsmarting her with shenanigans that exact same way she outsmarted Charlotte who beat Asuka in said streak match. Secondly, why would you put your trust in WWE paying that story off? This is the same company that has butchered a pretty easy Sasha/Bayley story, has not paid off the Becky being screwed over storyline from 2016/17 and fucked up Nia/Bliss by running it again 2 months later with Nia's character flip-flopping all over the place. What storylines in this division do they tell well long term? If we do reach a conclusion where Asuka beats Carmella for the title, it doesn't retrospectively make these previous two horrible title matches any better, just as how Wrestlemania 30's ending doesn't make Bryan Vs Orton at HIAC any better.

WAKE UP

Status

There was a very small window where I remember thinking Carmella was getting better and becoming an effective heel, then she got over pushed into the main event scene (for women) and all that seems to have been un-done. i could see her being OK if they had given her more time to develop, but nope.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    When your defence for Carmella includes the phrase 'I know she won't put on many wrestling clinics' it's never a good sign. Why raise the bar that much to where we're apparently desiring wild expectations for this womens division. None of these girls are putting on wrestling clinics and no-one expects them to, but what they are capable of are having good little TV matches, potentially really good PPV matches and at the bare minimum do not embarrass themselves and their opponent with their standard of work (Lana's actually worse than Carmella at that if we're searching for people worse). WWE are aware that she's very limited as a wrestler, between October 2017 and her cash in over 6 months later, Carmella had TWO singles matches on TV, she wasn't injured, they just know it exposes a pretty weak wrestler on their audience.

Jinder Mahal being brought into the argument is a weird one because they are both bad wrestlers, but they are bad for totally different reasons. Carmella has charisma, can cut a promo, can get more out of the material she's given, gain heat via means that aren't the colour of her skin and has developed her own fanbase to the point where she's quite popular so she knows how to get over and market herself. Also apparently it was her idea to bring Ellsworth into her act the first time, so she's got a creative mind too. Jinder has none of these talents; he was a one-note Vince project that failed, plus he sucked in the ring. Where Carmella falls down is she's so bad at wrestling you have to tailor matches to hide her flaws, and if you want to push her you have to have sports entertainment finishes that make her opponents look like dorks.

Jinder Mahal didn't make me stop watching Smackdown, it was the combination of his bad segments and matches plus Kevin Owens' bad segments and matches and Charlotte and Natalya's bad segments and matches. Likewise, Carmella isn't the only reason I don't watch Smackdown anymore. It's a combination of her bad reign making nothing matter in that division, Jeff Hardy being pushed, Daniel Bryan's return being wasted, Bludgeon Brothers being too gimmicky, AJ/Nakamura never ending. It always takes more than one bad thing to be on a show to get me to throw my hands up and say I'm not watching this anymore. Can't speak for others though.

The most surprising thing I've read in this thread today is this idea that they're telling an obvious story with Asuka and she'll recover and get revenge eventually and we're just being marks that aren't letting it play out. Firstly, if that is the story they're telling that commentary need to stop bickering so much and get that theme across, because watching that match on Sunday it didn't feel like there was a mental issue of previous failure that was holding Asuka back (like say Gargano post DIY), it was purely Carmella outsmarting her with shenanigans that exact same way she outsmarted Charlotte who beat Asuka in said streak match. Secondly, why would you put your trust in WWE paying that story off? This is the same company that has butchered a pretty easy Sasha/Bayley story, has not paid off the Becky being screwed over storyline from 2016/17 and fucked up Nia/Bliss by running it again 2 months later with Nia's character flip-flopping all over the place. What storylines in this division do they tell well long term? If we do reach a conclusion where Asuka beats Carmella for the title, it doesn't retrospectively make these previous two horrible title matches any better, just as how Wrestlemania 30's ending doesn't make Bryan Vs Orton at HIAC any better.
    I actually feel this was a large part of why she's having a hard time right now. There was a point in 2017 where I thought Carmella was doing quite well. She had a decent program with Bella in 2016 and they paired her with Ellsworth and she drew serious heat winning the Money in the bank contract twice.

Then they barely used her for the remainder of the year and basically took her off TV that October. She was never at that elite level, but she regressed farther than she has since her NXT days and I could even argue worse. Taking someone off TV that long is never the answer when you plan to put the belt on them.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
    I actually feel this was a large part of why she's having a hard time right now. There was a point in 2017 where I thought Carmella was doing quite well. She had a decent program with Bella in 2016 and they paired her with Ellsworth and she drew serious heat winning the Money in the bank contract twice.

Then they barely used her for the remainder of the year and basically took her off TV that October. She was never at that elite level, but she regressed farther than she has since her NXT days and I could even argue worse. Taking someone off TV that long is never the answer when you plan to put the belt on them.
    I'm guessing they kept changing their minds on when they would have her cash in because she didn't appear to have any direction. It got so bad at the end of last year that I figured she was going to cash in and lose because they weren't prepping her at all for this spot and I naturally assumed Asuka would get a strong push as champion when she first moved over to SD.

Thread Information