Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: G1 Climax 28

Say hello to the bad guy!

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: G1 Climax 28

I really feel like they have done this whole Tongans vs Elite thing wrong. The attack at San Fran was awesome, but it feels inconsequential during the G1. Fale's DQ vs. Hangman made sense to just say Fuck it and make a statement. But I feel like the blatant attacks have been all the same and way too obvious. Even if they have a No Fucks Given attitude, they should be out to screw Kenny. So this really was the time where they should have done ev÷rything in their power to beat him and have Tama make a damn statement. I get NJPW wanting their champ to look like a million bucks but come on. The Tongans are looking foolish at this point.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    3 stars for that Evil/Fale nonsense? Very generous MC.

thought day 7 was really boring outside of a good Elgin/YH match. Everyone looked tired after 4 straight days of shows.
    I liked how EVIL outsmarted Fale with the chairs and everything leading up to the interference a lot. The interference isn't what anyone wants to see but they did it fairly well.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

I kinda thought everyone on Night 7 was definitely holding back due to either tiredness or holding back for later, bigger matches. I'm with Ed on Fale/EVIL, thought it sucked. I would say two people in this horrible A Block have anything to be proud of so far, and they were both in the opener. I don't understand what people who say YH isn't over are talking about, his reaction was arguably the loudest of the night and him getting his win was a feel good moment. To me he & Elgin are the only two in A Block that actually try hard every night and that's been the difference.

A lot of people need to step up this second half of A Block because I wouldn't say anybody has been standing out in comparison to the top 8 people.
    C'est Magnifique~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Hirooki Goto vs Toru Yano
    Quick start. Yano attacking Goto before the bell was an interesting approach. It was all straight then on with Yano constantly rolling up Goto for near two counts. These two had a good match at Resolution ‘09 and this wasn't that but it was good for what it was. **½

Tetsuya Naito vs Tama Tonga
    Not as bad as the other Tama Tonga matches this G1 but still not very good. SANADA not coming out was interesting. That's twice he has done that now. **

Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr
    These two are a odd matchup on paper. They wrestler two completely different styles but they work well with each for the most part. Sabre being Sabre attacking the arms of Ishii all match and Ishii doing some mat wrestler in return. Pretty good from Ishii. But I have a few criticisms, Ishii did a great job at selling his arms whereas I can't say that Sabre did tbh. Ishii multiple times went to the legs of Sabre and he just shrugged it off like it never hurt him more than once. His face never really showed any resemblance of pain either. The commentary was good though, constantly putting over Ishii’s never say die attitude, only for him to tap out later making him tapping out that much more of a bigger deal. ***½

Juice Robinson vs Kenny Omega
    Another good match between these two. This is the third match I think and they delivered yet again. What I like about this match is that Juice felt more on the level of Omega. He wasn't just the underdog here, it felt like if he won it wouldn't be an upset. And that shows how much Juice has progressed this year and the last. ***¾

Kota Ibushi vs SANADA
    This was awesome. Two great, great athletes going all out trying to beat each other. The crowd was good, cheering SANADA giving him a home coming and SANADA repaid them with a great match. Great displays of high flying wrestling and some nice looking sequences. Ibushi's double moonsault back flip looked so impressive. Love these two. ****½

Spoiler:

A Block
    Jay White - 6
    EVIL - 6
    Minoru Suzuki - 4
    Hiroshi Tanahashi - 4
    Togi Makabe - 4
    Michael Elgin - 4
    Kazuchika Okada - 4
    YOSHI-HASHI - 2
    Bad Luck Fale - 2
    Hangman Page - 2

B Block

Kenny Omega - 8
    SANADA - 6
    Kota Ibushi - 4
    Tetsuya Naito - 4
    Zack Sabre Jr. - 4
    Hirooki Goto - 4
    Tomohiro Ishii - 2
    Toru Yano - 2
    Tama Tonga - 2
    Juice Robinson - 0
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Goto with the dominate win over Yano, thumbs up in my book.

Naito/Tama was going along at the level of best Tama match of the tournament, and then it just devolved back into a a vintage firing squad dud.

Ishii/Zack was alright, but these two have hit much higher heights with each other before.

Juice/Omega was good, especially down the stretch, but I preferred their match last year and man it's sad that Juice is getting Honma treatment here at 0-4 down in the block when he's just won a championship. There's that momentum gone!

Sanada/Ibushi was the clear MOTN for me and the only thing I'd call great. I think Sanada's beating Omega and getting the title match much in the same way that Evil got it against Okada last year to make it a gatekeeper to facing Naito at the dome. They are clearly heating this guy up again with a main event win here and motivated performances. With Omega 4 points clear of Naito and the tie breaker in hand, Omega has to lose twice for Naito to be in play and Naito's match on finals night sure happens before Ibushi/Omega in Budokan. I think Sanada would be a likely contender at this point to be one of those two.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Minoru Suzuki vs Michael Elgin
    Fairly even match here. Both canceled each other out. Suzuki couldn't fully apply his submissions on Elgin because of the sheer size of Elgin’s limbs and Elgin could fully utilise his power moves due to the damage the holds still inflicted on them. Elgin for the most part did well to sell his arms and toned down his power moves, although that was slightly forgotten later in the match. Still, it was a good match. Suzuki’s facial expressions, particularly after Elgin’s forearm strikes, were superb. ***½

EVIL vs Hangman Page
    This was actually pretty solid. One of the better matches from Page so far. It did go too long though and dragged towards the end. Other than that, fine match. ***

Jay White vs Bad Luck Fale
    This wasn't very good. They didn’t have much chemistry and it wasn’t to be exciting or intriguing on any level. It's always tough when you have a big monster vs a heel because you don't get sympathy for the heel which makes the match heatless and it was. *½

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Togi Makabe
    I'd say I prefer the Okada vs Makabe match but this match was also really good. It was slow but it always kept my interest. The ending stretch was pretty awesome as well. Love Makabe’s spider suplexes. They always look great. ***½

Kazuchika Okada vs YOSHI-HASHI
    Awesome hard fought match. Great chemistry between these two not only in tags but now singles as well. Great back and forth between the two. You could feel the momentum rising for YOSHI-HASHI and the crowd was getting behind him as the match went on but it was not to be. Perhaps in another G1 under different circumstances, he could've got the win. Still he was good as usual. Okada was better here than other matches of his so far in the G1. Him bringing back that shitty first rainmaker was spot of the match as well. Funny that. Awesome match. ****¼

Points After Day Nine

Spoiler:

A Block
    EVIL - 8
    Hiroshi Tanahashi - 8
    Jay White - 6
    Kazuchika Okada - 6
    Minoru Suzuki - 6
    Michael Elgin - 4
    Togi Makabe - 4
    Bad Luck Fale - 4
    Hangman Page - 2
    YOSHI-HASHI -2

B Block
    Kenny Omega - 8
    SANADA - 6
    Kota Ibushi - 4
    Tetsuya Naito - 4
    Zack Sabre Jr. - 4
    Hirooki Goto - 4
    Tomohiro Ishii - 4
    Toru Yano - 2
    Tama Tonga - 2
    Juice Robinson - 0
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I thought Suzuki/Elgin and Hangman/Evil were pretty boring, Makabe/Tanahashi was decent but predictable and Okada/YH the clear match of the night. It really kicked into gear with that callback rainmaker from the WK6, and from there I thought it was great how much offensive and moments they allowed Yoshi to have. Literally the only thing preventing that from being any better was Okada already having 2 losses to his name so there was no way he was going to lose. Makes me sad how New Japan's biggest fans seem to be the ones who can't take a shine to Yoshi Hashi when literally everyone else is considered to be a great wrestler.

Fale/Switchblade was horrendous. The crowd don't care about either man, and I'm beating a dead horse now about how much I hate firing squad's impact on this G1. I remember when all the chatter was Fale is gonna have a sleeper tournament because he's got in shape, well they aren't letting him use that added agility and movement if thats the case.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Before I get into the the G1 matches l, I want to point out how good the Tanahashi/Umino vs YOSHI-HASHI/Sho match was. It was awesome and Tanahashi was barely in it, it was basically all Umino.

Zack Sabre Jr vs Tama Tonga
    Same old story. Ugh. **

Juice Robinson vs Toru Yano
    Pretty decent match here. Few shenanigans mixed in here and there. Few comedic segments which got a chuckle out of me. Fun match. Juice taking off the cast was an awesome moment. ***¼

Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii
    Oh my. This was a war. A vicious war with some brutal striking. Both went all out in the match with Ibushi doing a balcony moonsault, Ishii doing his stiff headbutts. It was awesome. There was tImes where I thought they were overdoing the fighting spirit spots but I'll be lying to say I wasn't marking out to them. Fantastic match. ****¾

Tetsuya Naito vs Hirooki Goto
    Eh, coming off the last match, I was on a high but this didn't do much for me. It didn't go very long and just never felt like a match that would stand out in any way. Disappointing. **½

SANADA vs Kenny Omega
    Even as a big SANADA fan, I can admit that SANADA has always struggled with charisma but this G1 and year in general, he has done much better and showed more fire and passion in his matches. You can see it in his performances and he had come off like a total star since then. Anyway, the match was pretty good. It didn't necessarily have a focus, it was more of two wrestlers hitting everything they had and it was enjoyable to watch. ****

Points After Day Ten

Spoiler:

A Block
    EVIL - 8
    Hiroshi Tanahashi - 8
    Jay White - 6
    Kazuchika Okada - 6
    Minoru Suzuki - 6
    Michael Elgin - 4
    Togi Makabe - 4
    Bad Luck Fale - 4
    Hangman Page - 2
    YOSHI-HASHI -2

B Block
    Kenny Omega - 10
    SANADA - 6
    Kota Ibushi -
    Tetsuya Naito - 6
    Zack Sabre Jr. - 6
    Hirooki Goto - 4
    Tomohiro Ishii - 4
    Toru Yano - 2
    Juice Robinson - 2
    Tama Tonga - 2
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Ibushi/Ishii was one of my favorite matches on the year. What a fucking insane match.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Ibushi/Ishii has overtaken Goto/Ishii as my match of the tournament and Jericho/Omega as my NJPW MOTY. There's nothing better than Kota Ibushi when he's in pissed off, prove myself mode like he was against Nakamura in classic matches between those two, and it was another one of fearless, never back down performances from him today against the master Ishii.

Naito/Goto was a little disappointing I have to say, idk if following Ibushi/Ishii was just too much, I know I was a little drained and distracted during it.

Omega/Sanada was very good, but man oh man am I lost as to who the second person to beat in him in the G1 might be. Yano/Juice was fun, yay for finally winning a match US Champ.

Tama/Zack was wank, as per fucking usual.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Since we are on a off day, thought I'd share this. My favourite G1 Matches - Best To Worst:

Top 5
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Hirooki Goto - Day Six 21/07
    Kota Ibushi vs Tomohiro Ishii - Day Ten 28/07
    SANADA vs Kota Ibushi - Day Eight 26/07
    SANADA vs Hirooki Goto - Day Two 15/07
    SANADA vs Zack Sabre Jr - Day Six 21/07

Quite big so I'll put the rest in a spoiler
    Spoiler:

Kazuchika Okada vs YOSHI-HASHI - Day Nine 27/07
    Kenny Omega vs Hirooki Goto - Day Four 19/07
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Minoru Suzuki - Day One 14/07
    Tetsuya Naito vs Tomohiro Ishii - Day Four 19/07
    Tetsuya Naito vs Kenny Omega - Day Two 15/07
    YOSHI-HASHI vs Michael Elgin - Day Seven 22/07
    Jay White vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Day Three 16/07
    Tetsuya Naito vs Juice Robinson - Day Six 21/07
    Kenny Omega vs SANADA - Day Ten 28/07
    Jay White vs Michael Elgin - Day Five 20/07
    Kazuchika Okada vs Hangman Page - Day Five 20/07
    Kazuchika Okada vs Jay White - Day One 14/07
    Juice Robinson vs Kota Ibushi - Day Four 19/07
    Juice Robinson vs Kenny Omega - Day Eight
    Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Bad Luck Fale - Day Five 20/07
    YOSHI-HASHI vs Togi Makabe - Day One 14/07
    Kazuchika Okada vs Togi Makabe - Day Seven 22/07
    Michael Elgin vs EVIL - Day One 14/07
    Minoru Suzuki vs YOSHI-HASHI - Day Five 20/07
    Michael Elgin vs Minoru Suzuki - Day Nine 27/07
    Togi Makabe vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Day Nine 27/07
    Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr - Day Eight 26/07
    Kazuchika Okada vs Bad Luck Fale - Day Three 16/07
    EVIL vs YOSHI-HASHI - Day Three 16/07
    Jay White vs Minoru Suzuki - Day Seven 22/07
    Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki - Day Three 16/07
    Togi Makabe vs EVIL - Day Five 20/07
    Kota Ibushi vs Zack Sabre Jr - Day Two 15/07
    Zack Sabre Jr vs Toru Yano - Day Four 19/07
    Juice Robinson vs Toru Yano - Day Ten 28/07
    Toru Yano vs Tomohiro Ishii - Day Two 15/07
    EVIL vs Bad Luck Fale - Day Seven 22/07
    Hangman Page vs EVIL - Day Nine 27/07
    Hangman Page vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Day Seven 22/07
    SANADA vs Tama Tonga - Day Four 19/07
    Toru Yano vs Kota Ibushi - Day Six 21/07
    Hirooki Goto vs Tetsuya Naito - Day Ten 28/07
    Hirooki Goto vs Toru Yano - Day Eight 26/07
    Tetsuya Naito vs Tama Tonga - Day Eight 26/07
    Hangman Page vs Bad Luck Fale - Day One 14/07
    Hangman Page vs Michael Elgin - Day Three 16/07
    Tama Tonga vs Zack Sabre Jr - Day Ten 28/07
    Tama Tonga vs Juice Robinson - Day Two 15/07
    Jay White vs Bad Luck Fale - Day Nine 27/07
    Kenny Omega vs Tama Tonga - Day Six 21/07
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Day Twelve Thoughts

Tomohiro Ishii vs Tama Tonga
    One of the more decent Tama Tonga matches of the tournament. Well done Ishii. **½

SANADA vs Juice Robinson
    These are two crowd favourites so the crowd was fairly split between the two, it did help the match energy wise. Both basically constantly stopped each other, seemingly having an answer for almost everything they did. Constantly reversing the skull end or Pulp Friction. It made for a pretty good match. ***½

Tetsuya Naito vs Toru Yano
    A fun, relaxing match. The spot where Yano was taped to the guard rail had me in stitches. **¼

Kenny Omega vs Zack Sabre Jr
    Hmm, not a fan of the match at all. A regular staple of Sabre matches is that he always gets you to believe in his submissions, he gets you thinking that his opponent will be tap any second but I felt none of that here, although I did really enjoy every Sabre did in the match. Omega however, I didn't. He was in the Tanahashi mode. The “I hurt my leg, must do a high fly flow/dive” mode. At least that's his finisher so he has to do it whereas Omega did them for the sake of it. Omega ran perfectly fine, he hit a corkscrew plancha with ease, v-triggers etc. He really ruined the match for me. To this on a positive note, Sabre selling the result was absolutely tremendous. Well done to ZSJ. **¾

Kota Ibushi vs Hirooki Goto
    Now this was a pretty great match. I did think they overdid it with the countering of the GTR but the rest of the match was tremendous. Ibushi countering the sunset powerbomb with a back flip was awesome. ****

--

Points after Day 12

Spoiler:

Block A

Hiroshi Tanahashi - 10
    Kazuchika Okada - 8
    Jay White - 8
    EVIL - 8
    Minoru Suzuki - 8
    Bad Luck Fale - 6
    Michael Elgin - 4
    Togi Makabe - 4 (Eliminated)
    YOSHI-HASHI - 2 (Eliminated)
    Hangman Page - 2 (Eliminated)

Block B

Kenny Omega - 12
    Tetsuya Naito - 10
    Kota Ibushi - 8
    SANADA - 6
    Zack Sabre Jr. - 6 (Eliminated)
    Juice Robinson - 4 (Eliminated)
    Hirooki Goto - 4 (Eliminated)
    Tama Tonga - 4 (Eliminated)
    Tomohiro Ishii - 4 (Eliminated)
    Toru Yano - 2 (Eliminated)
    Last edited by MC 16; 08-01-2018 at 03:55 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

So I randomly decided to subscribe to New Japan World after thinking about it for a long, long time. So Im watching thru the G1 shows and trying to catch up. So many matches I need to get thru.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So I randomly decided to subscribe to New Japan World after thinking about it for a long, long time. So Im watching thru the G1 shows and trying to catch up. So many matches I need to get thru.
    Welcome to the jungle~!

Michael Elgin vs Bad Luck Fale
    I actually enjoyed this match. Was a nice little hoss battle for a short while then it happened again. I do notice that the fans are much more receptive to Fale and the interference for him opposed to Tama Tonga. That's interesting. *¾

Togi Makabe vs Hangman Page
    Pretty solid match. I was always going to love anything Makabe does but I really enjoyed Hangman Page in the match as well. He was more focused here and it really helped the match. ***

YOSHI-HASHI vs Jay White
    Interesting match from a story point of view. Jay White want to do anything he can to get results, cheating to win, wanting to change CHAOS but YOSHI-HASHI wanted to honor the traditional way but lacking the killer instinct at the same time. Made for a good match I thought. ***½

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs EVIL
    Very good match. EVIL going after the arm early on, trying to rip it apart. It looked viscous. Tanahashi sold it very well. Some good chemistry shown and I want another match between the two after this. Promising. ***¾

Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki
    Here we go, the battle of the new themes. This was a great match. Much different from their other matches, Suzuki attacking Okada before the bell, attacking him with chairs. Then Suzuki began working on the arm but in response to that Okada baited him into a slap/forearm fight. Although I wish Okada sold the arm a bit more than he did throughout. That was an interesting part of the match because it's a trope of their matches almost. So that was a nice call back. Suzuki smiling was terrifying but Okada got in some nice strikes which I don't say often. What else is pretty cool was them copying each other, Okada going for the Gotch Style pildriver and Suzuki the tombstone. The ending was a bit flat though and I along with the crowd expected for it to go a bit longer so it was abrupt but it doesn't take away much I feel. Great match as well. ****

This has by far been the best A Block night. The show haf ab attendance of 3,580 fans!! According to STRIGGA, that's an increase from past years show in Fukuoka
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

A good Okada/Suzuki main event the only thing I can recommend on another mediocre day for Block A.

So disappointing to see EVIL eliminated with a few days to spare for no reason at all. Tanahashi has not had a good tournament either, thought the match with Evil was pretty lifeless and going through the motions today.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I agree that EVIL hasn't had a great tournament. There isn't many people that I would say that have had a great G1. B Block included. Perhaps that is just my expectations of the G1 which come from previously great G1's, but something is lacking. There has been many good matches in both blocks. Matches like YOSHI-HASHI vs Okada, Ishii vs Goto, Ishii vs Ibushi have been great but there has been far too many matches where it all blends together, never really standing out from each other and it affects the performances of the wrestlers themselves. Guys like Okada, Tanahashi, Naito, Omega and EVIL have had decent G1's if you look match by match but overall, their runs feel very underwhelming whereas SANADA, Goto, YOSHI-HASHI and Ishii have stood out much, much more.

Maybe that's just me and my high expectations.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Tomohiro Ishii has had the 3 best matches of the tournament; the Goto, Ibushi and Omega matches are just on another level and he's the man delivering the top level MOTYCs. I honestly believe he's been the best wrestler of this decade because the last 8 years have been littered with great singles performances like this one today. He's so good that I don't even get mad when he no sells, fires up and fighting spirits his way through closing stretches when if anyone else did it I'd say it was OTT. Only thing that stops this being better than last week against Ibushi/Ishii is that Kenny overkilled on V-Triggers to the point of parody. Kenny will be glad to have Yano next up to rest his body a bit, that lip was seriously fucked at the end of that match.

In fact the final 3 matches today were really fucking good. Insane submission Zack had on Juice.

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Sanada vs Yano was so fun even though it was like 5 minutes or so long. Yano sneak attacking Sanada was smart and he nearly got the win off of it, but Sanada sticking to him later in his own way made it worthwhile of a Match to watch.

Goto vs Tonga. I don't know this Match was so off for me, maybe it's due to the multiple interference during the Match when Goto and Tonga seemed to have be having some kind of momentum in the Match. Yeah whoever structured the Match like that, dropped the fucking ball.

Juice vs Sabre JR. I really liked this Match between these two guys and I was finally happy that I went through all the Tag Matches to get to a good one like this. I feel both of the guys strengths were used perfectly in this Match, with Juice playing the underdog role trying to survive..or at least leave when all his body parts, and Sabre putting the pressure on him as the Submission Specialist he is. I want to see a 20-30 minute US title Match between the two in the future, and if Juice can't handle that Submission Sabre put on him when he bent his Leg back we might be seeing a new Champ very soon.

Ishii vs Omega. Yeah Kenny found out in this Match, that this Pitbull ain't going back to his Cage without a fight and what a fight it was. The Match itself was insane, hard hitting, and the fans were locked into whatever these two wanted to land on the other. I found it funny during the Commentary one of the Japanese Commentators said holy shit, made me chuckle so hard. I also found it funny even with the V-Triggers Ishii took to the skull at point blank range, he still used his head as a Weapon of Mass Destruction. Kenny even tried to beat Ishii with his own Brainbuster, and he was fuck no you ain't going to beat me with my own finisher. I would honestly put this as a 5 Star Rating, it had everything you wanted and everything worked for me during the Match.

Naito vs Ibushi. These two had alot to follow after Omega/Ishii and boy did they handle their business in the ring. Now I liked their previous G1 Climax Match more, but this was one hell of a battle in the Main Event. Naito is going to legit make me faint seeing him take those bumps on his head, especially after the Air Raid Crash and German Suplex from the Apron. Still the destiny is the hands of Ibushi with the tiebreaker over Naito, and still a Match right with Omega you might be looking at your winner at the end of all of this.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Son Of Anarchy

Status

I feel like Toma Tonga push maybe in the future guy has something bout him
    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Ibushi/Ishii was one of my favorite matches on the year. What a fucking insane match.
    Agreed. Just checked this match out on a whim because both guys are usually awesome. This was not a disappointment. Pretty sure I got CTE just watching it.

Thread Information