Thread: Should New Japan Book Women?

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Should New Japan Book Women?

This has been a hot topic on twitter this week, and to be honest it's a common argument that breaks out every month or so. Thought I'd post a thread on here to see what the consensus is on whether it's time for New Japan to start booking womens wrestling on their shows.

Honestly it's something that's never bothered me and or that I've given much thought to because I've been perfectly fine with the set up in Japan that the promotions are essentially men only or women only. If you really care about watching womens watching, there's plenty of opportunities to do so with the number of joshi promotions in Japan. I actually thought it was more progressive than the states for the longest time because they were able to regularly draw fans to female only cards, and especially in the case of Stardom actually be one of the most relevant indie promotions in the world without using a single male wrestler. That being said, my mind is starting to change on that (especially on stardom being progressive) and the stubbornness of it's not possible in New Japan isn't good enough. Fortune Dream has both men and women on the shows, as will TAKAYAMANIA. I'm sure there's more examples of it unisex shows in Japan's past too even with the cultural differences between them and the west.

The one thing that has me thinking maybe it's time for New Japan to use women is their global expansion, particularly into the US market where womens wrestling has gone through a a tremendous evolution to the point where women are main eventing WWE PPVs, ROH have created a womens championship finally and more opportunities are out there for women to travel the indies worldwide and be treated as equals to the men e.g. Tenille Dashwood, Toni Storm. It's an odd position to be putting new fans of NJPW into where they get this exciting alternative to WWE, but there's this regressive element to it where it's a sausage fest and there's seemingly no interest whatsoever in booking any women at a time when womens wrestling has never been more popular. It's an issue that's never going to go away when these US tours happen and the moral and inequality issues can't be easily batted away with 'oh but in Japanese culture' and 'oh every other Japanese promotion does this' when you're not in Japan any more asking for money from Japanese customers.

It would take the years and years to get to a point where there's actually regular womens wrestling, and honestly I think it might never happen, but I think a better first step for them would be to improve the way they showcase any women that appear in their events to begin with where they aren't just present as eye candy, aka no more Yujiro stripper valets and no more domestic abuse spots come fantasticamania. I've no doubt if Maria was still with ROH that she'd be on shows in Japan with the cameraman up her ass crack and being used as a distraction via wiggling her ass. I really wouldn't of killed them to get on the phone with ROH and say next time we run a show in the states, or next time it's Honor Rising, can we book your womens champion on the show against a native.

Then again, they can't even book Tetsuya Naito with care so what chance do women have under Gedo.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Re: Should New Japan Book Women?

Kazuchika Okada vs Meiko Satomura for the Dome main event!!!

Personally, I don't mind that they don't book women first of all. But if New Japan were really into the idea of booking women and willing to put a lot of resources into it, I wouldn't mind. It will of course take a long time to successfully get those market audiences and condition your current audiences to accept it, if they don't straight away. Getting enough talent to create a division and booking for them etc. If New Japan are willing to put their all into a division, yes but no if they are going to half arse it and be lazy with the women.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

[Your Name]

Status

This is coming from someone who doesn't really watch New Japan regularly, so take it how you will.

I agree with the view point that Japan actually have women's only promotions that are successful/sustainable in their own right, so it's never really bothered me. I'm a big advocate for WWE having their own women's brand separate to Raw & Smackdown, as they've got the talent & name power at this stage to make it work, and to me having a mainstream women's only show is far more progressive than 90% of what they do.

Baby steps are being made, only in the last few years have juniors been moving up to heavyweight more frequently, and more international talent are being booked than ever. So I wouldn't rule out the eventuality. But Japan's got a very traditional culture, and I can't see New Japan seeing the hassle of upsetting various women-only promoters as worthwhile to the product.
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 06-13-2018 at 04:29 PM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

They should, but they won’t.

There might be steps made obviously with the ever increasing westernization of the company but I can’t shake the stubbornness of New Japan. Makes more sense they want to be a niche company different from what you’re getting in America, but there’s hope that women could be presented in a way where they’re not constantly showing their ass.

Sure they would love to walk the halls with Elgin and Taichi.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Women's wrestling doesn't hit home with most of NJPW's demographic in Japan to really justify it imo. It's too much of a joke to most.

I also think that it makes more sense to split men and women like sports.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Would I love to see NJPW book Women and have a Division and everything hell yeah I would, but do I think that will happen anytime soon probably not. I believe with the way NJPW is able to market everything else in the company, I have no doubt that they would be able to in time do the same with the ladies.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Sweet Meat

Status

I think they should absolutely. Either on the same shows, or have a female "brand" of sorts that's under their official umbrella.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

No, with a caveat. The idea of them having a women's division the way WWE is just not in line with the culture and the people who say yes to this question often just expose themselves as not really knowing anything about why there hasn't been a women's division before or this subject matter as a whole, and I have a guess they're so passionate about women's wrestling they don't watch any of the actual Joshi promotions that regularly do over 1000 fans when they run Korakuen and probably think of Io as Lo Shirai.

Would I personally want it? Possibly, there are many talented Joshi wrestlers that deserve exposure but with how they book I can't imagine it turning out to be how I would want.

If they're special attraction matches on US shows or a US brand so to speak having a women's division, it could be very good. But if it's like ROH's pathetic attempt I'd much rather things stay as they are. The WOH hurts my perception of them as a company not just in how poorly they treat them, but also the wrestlers just aren't very good. I mean it is ROH so that's probably just the norm. But even in WWE the divisions just aren't very talented overall. NJPW doesn't need to be catering to weirdos on twitter to make their product worse if they just bring in a bunch of women like that.

My idea for Japan would be similar to something they tried once before a long time ago, in 2002. They had an AJW offer match at a Tokyo Dome show (Toyota working NJPW should surely increase her HOF resume) and something like that I think would be great. Even if it's just at the Dome every year, maybe the Dome & the G1 Final show, but to have a special offer match from a Joshi company on the undercard. It wouldn't hurt anything, the fans would be more willing to accept it, and it would help the status of an entire company and the Joshi scene as a whole rather than just a handful of girls.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Zerohamed Salah View Post
    No, with a caveat. The idea of them having a women's division the way WWE is just not in line with the culture and the people who say yes to this question often just expose themselves as not really knowing anything about why there hasn't been a women's division before or this subject matter as a whole, and I have a guess they're so passionate about women's wrestling they don't watch any of the actual Joshi promotions that regularly do over 1000 fans when they run Korakuen and probably think of Io as Lo Shirai.

Would I personally want it? Possibly, there are many talented Joshi wrestlers that deserve exposure but with how they book I can't imagine it turning out to be how I would want.

If they're special attraction matches on US shows or a US brand so to speak having a women's division, it could be very good. But if it's like ROH's pathetic attempt I'd much rather things stay as they are. The WOH hurts my perception of them as a company not just in how poorly they treat them, but also the wrestlers just aren't very good. I mean it is ROH so that's probably just the norm. But even in WWE the divisions just aren't very talented overall. NJPW doesn't need to be catering to weirdos on twitter to make their product worse if they just bring in a bunch of women like that.

My idea for Japan would be similar to something they tried once before a long time ago, in 2002. They had an AJW offer match at a Tokyo Dome show (Toyota working NJPW should surely increase her HOF resume) and something like that I think would be great. Even if it's just at the Dome every year, maybe the Dome & the G1 Final show, but to have a special offer match from a Joshi company on the undercard. It wouldn't hurt anything, the fans would be more willing to accept it, and it would help the status of an entire company and the Joshi scene as a whole rather than just a handful of girls.
    I wouldn't mind that idea Zero, and if they did that and if it would be a killer Match I think that momentum could get things started from something larger down the line. Baby steps is what I like, but we should do a betting line the over/under NJPW does that or a Women's Division in the next five years I say I'm 60/40 on yes.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Thread Information