Thread: WWE Rebellion 2001 Review

WWE WWE Rebellion 2001 Review

Rebellion
    November 3, 2001

We open up the show with the commentators running down some of the card including Chris Jericho defending the WCW World Title against the newest member of the Alliance - Kurt Angle!

Edge © vs Christian - Steel Cage Match - WWE IC Title
    Since No Mercy, WWE European Champion, The Hurricane, was defeated by Bradshaw to lose the title only for Christian to beat Bradshaw on the last episode of Smackdown to win the belt. Whatís interesting about Christian being European Champion is that Jim Ross only referencing Christian as winning the title on Tuesday. Since Rebellion took place on a Wednesday, it took place before the then-Thursday Smackdown aired. The WWE is willing to acknowledge that Christian is now a champion again, but unwilling to admit that Smackdown is taped. The IC Title is the only title on the line though. I do appreciate the fact that they brought back the old big blue steel bars version of the cage, albeit with the cage painted black. I donít think thatís been seen since...St. Valentineís Day Massacre? The match itself is pretty underwhelming. Thereís not any big spots and itís mostly just a bunch of fighting without much of a story forming. The finish is pretty lame to me as Edge removes his wrist tape and tries to tape Christianís ankles together while Christianís legs were stuck between the holes in the cage from the outer side. That allows Edge to climb up over the cage and escape to retain his title. I donít buy for a second that Christian couldnít have freed his ankles. Considering we saw a similar finish at Summerslam 1994, Iím not sure why E&C didnít just go for the simpler finish of Christian losing his balance and being stuck upside down while Edge is quick to take advantage of it rather than add the unnecessary tape gimmick. Luckily, this is the end of this underwhelming trio of PPV matches. Up next is a match against Test at Survivor Series and a new trio of underwhelming PPV matches against William Regal for Edge. ** ľ

Weíre then shown highlights from Raw where Shane McMahon promises that a member of the WWE will join the Alliance. During a street fight between Shane and Vince, thereís a ton of interference with Kurt Angle eventually turning on the WWE by blasting Chris Jericho with a steel chair. Angle has joined the Alliance!

Backstage, Chavo Guerrero and Hugh Morrus argue over who gets to interview the Divas tonight. They agree to interview them together. Like a pair of pervs, they burst into the Divas locker room where Trish is in the middle of getting changed. She gets them to leave by promising them an interview with Lita later.

The Hurricane vs Scotty
    Hey, Scotty finally makes a PPV! During the Invasion era of the WWE, you didnít see Scotty on PPV. However, thatís not to say he wasnít there. On three occasions (Invasion, No Mercy, and Survivor Series), he competed against the Alliance on those shows, but during Sunday Night Heat. Admittedly, Scottyís record isnít exactly good as he lost all three of those matches. This was surprisingly decent. Thereís a bit of a story with Scottyís back being worked over, The Hurricane pretending to be a superhero, and the struggle of both men trying to hit the Worm. For Hurricane, he was going for the Slug, his mocking version of the Worm. As much as I liked where ĎSugarí Shane Helms was going at the end of WCW, giving him the Hurricane gimmick allowed him to build up more of a personality to excel in these sort of matches that itís next to impossible to make feel important. Much to my surprise, itís Scotty who actually wins after finally delivering the Worm. Considering Scottyís depush into being just a JTTS started in 2001 and the Hurricane had not so much been given a push, but has been focused on some, I expected Hurricane to win this. A fine house show match. ** Ĺ

Backstage, Hugh Morrus and Chavo Guerrero are told by Trish Stratus to wait for her to talk to Lita, but they canít help it and open the door to peek on Lita changing. Once she notices, she throws a shoe at them and they run off like a pair of thirteen year olds.

The Big Show vs DDP
    God. This could have been a WCW PPV main event. Here in the WWE in 2001, itís not even worthy to be on a normal PPV. Since last being seen on PPV at Summerslam, DDP has debuted his ďThatís not a bad thing, Thatís a good thingĒ gimmick. This was really short, only going three minutes. Despite that, DDP does manage to get in some offense including getting a boot to Showís knee to counter a Choke Slam into a Diamond Cutter. Page took too long to go for the cover, allowing Show to get a kick out. One quick Choke Slam later and Show has picked up the victory. Not bad, just really disappointing that this was just some meaningless match when theyíre two of WCWís biggest creations. **

Backstage, Hugh Morrus and Chavo Guerrero continue their perv antics by bursting into Mighty Mollyís locker room when...sheís capeless~!

Elsewhere, in a darkened room, Shane McMahon, Stone Cold, Debra, and Kurt Angle are sitting at a table light up by an overhead light. Austin talks about how the Alliance has all of the momentum at the moment due to Angle jumping ship. Bro, the Alliance is 0-3 tonight. Angle then compares everyone to members of King Arthur and Knights at the Round Table. Everyone already seems annoyed by Angle. This is a segment straight out of the short lived trio of Austin, Angle, and Vince that we saw earlier in the year.

The Dudley Boyz © vs The Hardy Boyz vs The APA - WCW Tag Titles
    Elimination rules. Since No Mercy, The Dudley Boyz defeated The Hardyz for the WCW Tag Titles on the night after on Raw. Spoiler for this match, that was actually the final ever WCW Tag Team Titles switch ever. Even though the history of these titles is a bit fuzzy since there is a pair of NWA Tag Titles still technically going today, those titles were only created in 1992 and the NWA Tag Titles that eventually morphed into the WCW Tag Titles had been around since the mid 70s. While watching this match, itís difficult to not get the impression that the APA shouldnít have been booked in this. For starters, the first fall, and the only that the APA were a part of, was the clear weaker of the two falls. It struggles to gain any momentum with Bradshaw often getting in the way of the Dudleyz/Hardyz action. The other problem is that the Manchester audience is not high on the APA. They naturally love the Hardyz and they were chanting for tables throughout the match, but for the APA, they seemed to be genuinely annoyed every time the APA got involved. I canít blame them. Luckily, the APA would be eliminated with a Matt Twist of Fate allowing for the match to pick up nicely in the second fall. Despite the Dudleyzí overness due to the tables, the British crowd is now willing to boo them just because theyíre in the ring with Matt and Jeff. The Hardyz would attempt a pair of Poetry in Motions, but D-Von would move out of the way for his. That would send Jeff out of the ring, prompting Matt to try and finish the match himself with a Twist of Fate, but itís countered as Matt is sent into the ropes and surprised with a 3D. Dudleyz pull out the victory as we prep for their fun cage match at Survivor Series. Most of these UK PPVs tended to have some form of multiple team tag match and none of them stand out as being anything other than house show quality. On the bright side, at least the second fall was the superior fall. ** ľ

Weíre shown highlights from Smackdown where The Rock and Chris Jericho had some miscommunication in their match where they lost the WWE Tag Titles to Booker T and Test. After the match, Rock and Jericho came to blows with Rock laying Jericho out with a Rock Bottom.

Backstage, Mr. McMahon holds a meeting with The Rock and Jericho. With Survivor Series just weeks away, McMahon is trying to get his two top stars back on the same page. McMahon gets them to shake hands, but the peacekeeping ultimately fails after Jericho advises Rock not to fail in yet another championship match tonight. That led to Rocky attacking Jericho again.

Tajiri © vs William Regal - Non-Title Match
    With Regalís recent defection to the Alliance, that quickly caused a rift to form between Regal and his former lackey, Tajiri. The Japanese Buzzsaw is the current reigning WCW Cruiserweight Champions thanks to his title win over Billy Kidman on the night after No Mercy. In highsight, with X-Pacís injury at the end of October, it would have been wiser to have Kidman defeat X-Pac for both the Cruiserweight and Light Heavyweight Title (Instead of just the Cruiserweight Title) in mid October on Smackdown so that the Light Heavyweight Title wouldnít have had to just randomly vanish. For what this was, I enjoyed it. Tajiri is all about firing off those brutal kicks and attempting to use his size to fly around some. Meanwhile, Regal utilizing the ring wonderfully, finding different ways to inflict damage to Tajiri by just flinging him into different parts of the ring including the ropes. Despite all of Tajiriís best efforts, itís a missed moonsault by him that would allow Regal to slap on the STF to force the submission to win the match. Since this received five minutes compared to their Survivor Series 2001 rematch of two minutes, it was better, but both matches were pure filler. ** Ĺ

After the match, Tajiri sprays green mist into the eyes of Regal and lays him out with a roundhouse kick. What a sore loser.

Going off on a tangent for a moment, but this show really highlights how badly the WWE needed additional British or even just European talent. Between Rebellion 2000 - Insurrextion 2002, the WWE only had one measly English wrestler to highlight on these European tours. As much as I love William Regal, heís just a low/midcard heel. Heís not the type you want to give a big boost to. Rebellion 2002 wouldnít have a single British wrestler and the final ever WWE UK PPV, Insurrextion 2003, at least had the France billed La Resistance, but again, thatís nothing. This is one area in the company where the WWE has drastically improved on things in recent years with having their roster represent far more countries than just America and Canada.

Chris Jericho © vs Kurt Angle - WCW World Title
    At this point, Angle is the reigning WCW US Champion, having won it from Rhyno the night after No Mercy. Both men came into this match looking to work hard, but I canít shake the feeling that something is missing. Jericho in particular seems like heís having an off night. I donít know if itís so much that heís not putting in much effort since itís just an UK PPV or if heís possibly working hurt. Regardless, the speed in which heís trying to do some his counters is noticeably slower than expected. Itís still a good match though. Both men tried to steal each others submission finisher with Jericho briefly managing to lock in the Ankle Lock. The later we went into the match, the more offense Angle seemed to mount on Jericho before the comeback, which included Jericho locking in the Walls of Jericho, forcing Angle to make his way to the ropes to break the hold. The finish came off as a bit soft as Angle counters a Lionsault with a pair of knees, but Jericho simply counters the Angle Slam into a roll-up for the unexpected pinfall. Good enough for an UK PPV. *** ľ

Lita and Torrie Wilson vs Stacy Keibler and Mighty Molly
    For whatever reason, WWE Diva, Trish Stratus, is the special guest referee for this WWE vs Alliance match-up. None of the women had their best known theme songs, so itís pretty odd seeing them come out to the ring to such generic crap. Sadly, Molly can not wrestle herself. When Lita is your second best worker in this match, you know itís going to be rough going. Lita and Stacy canít even hit a basic body slam with Keibler landing flat on her back. Torrie is clearly even worse than Stacy though. Luckily, when Molly is in the ring and able to just work over Torrie, itís fine stuff. Although you could argue itís silly to have Molly be the one to take the pinfall, at least having her be the one to sustain the Twist of Fate from Lita to be pinned meant the finish wasnít going to be messed up at all. Ĺ *

In some random trivia, the women were the one consistency in the Invasion. Team WWE scored victory in Diva matches at Invasion, Summerslam (HEAT), No Mercy, Rebellion, and Survivor Series.

Steve Austin © vs The Rock - WWE World Title
    On paper, possibly the biggest match in WWE UK PPV history. At Wrestlemania 17, Austin defeated Rock for the WWE Title with the help of Mr. McMahon. The next night on Raw, Austin and Rock had a cage match that saw Triple H align himself with Austin and McMahon, leaving Rock a bloody mess with McMahon suspending Rocky as well. Now, nearly seven months later, Rock is finally getting his chance at Stone Cold again. As expected, this was really fun. Although not quite on the level of their last two Wrestlemania matches, but itís in the same league as their two 1999 PPV matches. Thereís all of the usual spots that youíd expect in such a match. Rock spat water in the face of Austin, they battled up the entrance way, and thereís various theaterics including an especially fun Rock mocking Austinís bounce off of the ropes into an elbow drop. As itís typical from this time period, there is a ref bump leading to a lengthy finishing stretch with interference. It begins with Austin and Rock trading Sharpshooters back and forth until Rock fully gains control of his own. That brings out a chair swinging Kurt Angle to hit Rocky in the back. That causes Chris Jericho to run out for the save and although he does manage to wrestle the chair away from Angle and get the Gold Medalist out of the ring, Rock recovers to spot Jericho holding the very chair that struck him from behind. Rocky, being a bit of a dick, attacks Jericho, laying him out with a Rock Bottom. This proves to be a very pricey mistake as Y2J doesnít bother trying to help Rock any longer, but Angle attempts to interfere a couple more times. With both Rock and Austin looking like they could win at any time, Angle is there to trip Rock up during a Peopleís Elbow attempt, allowing Austin to surprise Rocky with a Stone Cold Stunner to steal yet another victory over The Rock. Normally I would never buy into a World Title switch on an UK PPV, but with how quickly the WWE was swapping titles during the Invasion, I thought there was a decent chance that Rock could win here and would either drop the belt back to Austin before Survivor Series or Austin would beat Jericho for the WCW Title. When given enough time, these two were incapable of having a bad match and the addition of the Angle/Jericho interference meant the final few minutes was exciting for being able to end at any time. Your real reason to check out this PPV. *** ĺ

Overall
    Itís an UK PPV, so thereís certainly a feeling as if a lot of the show doesnít matter. On paper, it feels a lot bigger than it actually is. What, with matches like E&C battling inside of a cage and the battle of the two former WCW World Champions (DDP/Show), looking big, even if neither match delivered or was presented as being as big of a deal as they could have been. Jericho vs Angle is a pretty good match for the WCW World Titleís first and only time being defended on an UK PPV. With the exception of the womenís tag match, the other undercard matches were fine. As I said though, the big reason to check out anything from this PPV is for the big Rock/Austin rematch. Itís so rare for the WWE to hold off on a gigantic match for so long, only to then deliver it on an UK PPV. Obviously, there wasnít a title switch, but that doesnít take away from the big match feel that the main event had. Considering the fact that there werenít title switches that were then switched again before the next PPV and every match except for the main event featured clean finishes, itís an easy PPV to watch. Rebellion 2001 may not be a great PPV nor one thatís a must see event, but when watching Invasion Era PPVs, I find Rebellion to be a stronger PPV than Unforgiven 2001.
    ---

It took a decade, but this was my 14th and final WWE 2001 PPV to cover.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: WWE Rebellion 2001 Review

Love the main event. If I'm not mistaken it's the only PPV match they had with Austin as the heel and Rock as the face, I believe.

Kurt Angle was the best thing to happen to Edge's career because between the E&C split and starting the Angle feud, he just had mediocre match after mediocre match. And it's not like he wasn't given time in those matches, and it's not like he was facing scrubs.

Re: WWE Rebellion 2001 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Sergej Milinković-Shockić View Post
    Love the main event. If I'm not mistaken it's the only PPV match they had with Austin as the heel and Rock as the face, I believe.
    Unless you want to count WM 17 since it ended like that, otherwise, you're right.

Kurt Angle was the best thing to happen to Edge's career because between the E&C split and starting the Angle feud, he just had mediocre match after mediocre match. And it's not like he wasn't given time in those matches, and it's not like he was facing scrubs.
    I'll completely agree that working with Angle was a huge gift to Edge's career. That, being put in a ladder match at No Mercy 1999 to get himself over in the first place, and cheating with Lita to finally get his heel character over, are the three most important events in Edge's career.

However, I also don't think you can exactly blame Edge for his struggle post-E&C and pre-Angle. Look at what he was given:

- Christian 3x - Right from the start, there's the problem of Edge being presented as the breakout star of E&C. Christian wasn't in Edge's league and it didn't get the push off to a very good start when you're forced to go in a program against someone below you in the WWE hierarchy. I'd compare it to getting a singles program against a member of the Hardyz, but learning it's going to be Matt instead of Jeff. Then you run into the problem that no one wanted to see E&C fight. Like a lot of partners, the chemistry as partners doesn't carry over into being opponents. To make matters worse, this program was clearly not working, but the WWE kept it going, something that would happen again during this time period for Edge.

- Test - It's Test. What are you going to do? For what it was, I liked it. It was very clearly just filler for both men though.

- William Regal 3x - Regal may be awesome, but sometimes his talent doesn't translate very well. From the time Regal returned to the WWE at the end of 2000 to the start of his program with Edge, what did he really do of quality? Jericho had Regal for three matches earlier in the year and they just weren't quite as good as they could have been. Regal was great in the mid 90s for WCW and would eventually figure out how to produce top notch quality again in the WWE years later, but struggling against him isn't much of a diss for Edge. I'd also compare this program with the Christian one in that Edge was clearly supposed to be higher up than Regal AND the matches weren't special, yet the WWE still forced us to watch them on three straight PPVs.

- Booker T - This wasn't start of the Invasion Booker T. This was months and months of being depushed Booker T. Booker was lost himself and he needed to figure out a way to make it in the WWE. Taking two guys that were lost and throwing them together in such a stupid story was a recipe to make the crowd not care. Add in the fact that Booker has always been overrated as a worker and it's not surprise their Mania match sucked.

Meanwhile, compare Edge during this time period with a guy like RVD. RVD was getting the much bigger matches, the better opponents, variety, and lucked into being paired with guys he had chemistry with like Jeff Hardy. RVD's upper midcard push around this time period was exactly what Edge needed. He may have been given the IC Title, but I'd argue he was then left on his own to sink or swim. We saw what happened post-WM 18 when the WWE then starts putting effort back into his booking.

Thread Information