Thread: Net Neutrality

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Net Neutrality

Can we get a discussion going on this explainations etc.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Net Neutrality

What do you need to know?

The crux of it is along the lines of...under Net Neutrality everything online had to be kept at an equal...so companies couldn't force their items to use the faster speeds etc...for example Netflix couldn't take priority over something like err a local news site in terms of speed and access.

I'm guessing with the repeal going through this will make that null and void and some other pointless regulations will take its place that will no doubt allow the big players to get all the good stuff and start to keep the little man down again.
    I have a plan so cunning......

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Hee-Rick View Post
    What do you need to know?

The crux of it is along the lines of...under Net Neutrality everything online had to be kept at an equal...so companies couldn't force their items to use the faster speeds etc...for example Netflix couldn't take priority over something like err a local news site in terms of speed and access.

I'm guessing with the repeal going through this will make that null and void and some other pointless regulations will take its place that will no doubt allow the big players to get all the good stuff and start to keep the little man down again.
    With Net Neutrality being repealed, we will essentially revert back to the days of 2008, but even worse.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    With Net Neutrality being repealed, we will essentially revert back to the days of 2008, but even worse.
    Um not hardly. This is just a case of getting Big Government out of where they don't belong, and one of the sides trying to make this something it isn't. Reading some of the Tweets (yes, politicians other than President Trump do it too) and comments from some politicians is mind boggling and pathetic. You are going to carry out your everyday surfing like you normally would. This is hardly an issue.

Please don't infract me again Silk.... I wasn't insulting anyone. Just disagreeing. That's what us asshole Libertarians do.

God's Gift to God

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud Strife View Post
    Um not hardly. This is just a case of getting Big Government out of where they don't belong, and one of the sides trying to make this something it isn't. Reading some of the Tweets (yes, politicians other than President Trump do it too) and comments from some politicians is mind boggling and pathetic. You are going to carry out your everyday surfing like you normally would. This is hardly an issue.

Please don't infract me again Silk.... I wasn't insulting anyone. Just disagreeing. That's what us asshole Libertarians do.
    Strange that your focus here is "big government" and not "big corporations."

There's a ton of information out there on this that goes well beyond big government meddling in anything. This could get really sketchy...or it might not. Major changes will happen over time not instantly.

This seems like an Ino thread I'm curious how he feels about it if he hasn't spoken in-depth on it before.

On Vacation

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Coxatron View Post
    Strange that your focus here is "big government" and not "big corporations."

There's a ton of information out there on this that goes well beyond big government meddling in anything. This could get really sketchy...or it might not. Major changes will happen over time not instantly.

This seems like an Ino thread I'm curious how he feels about it if he hasn't spoken in-depth on it before.
    Why is it strange? I mean seriously?

You are correct, there is a lot of information out there on this topic. I read and listen from various sources to grasp a better understanding. Rather than the, "OMG! Hot Topic! Let me go see what my side is saying so I'll know how to think on this issue!"

However, i am curious to see what Terry has to say about that.

God's Gift to God

Status

Why is it strange? I mean seriously?

You are correct, there is a lot of information out there on this topic. I read and listen from various sources to grasp a better understanding. Rather than the, "OMG! Hot Topic! Let me go see what my side is saying so I'll know how to think on this issue!"

However, i am curious to see what Terry has to say about that.
    Your first paragraph is exactly why your response is strange. You're turning it into a political topic when it really isn't. It was politicised but that's far less emblematic of the issue.

By saying "hur dur I read more than just my side" you're completely eschewing what Net Neutrality is in favor of a political slant.

Hail To The King

Status

So like will this really affect our everyday life in us

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Depends on what kind of websites you visit
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Picture it like DLC for video games.

You can still have the main game, but additional features, etc will cost more.

The main issue is slow/fast lanes and increased cost being a possibility for certain sites.

As a programmer and web dev, this is a royal pain in the ass and will certainly effect me. Also, as someone who is involved in competitive online gaming. In order to continue doing what I do, there is a very real possibility I will have to pay a lot more than I already am.

All in all, this is a huge no no, and only beneficial to the pockets of the big corporations who can reap more money out of people.

To get the exact same thing as you are now, you will have to pay more.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

We have to realize a lot of business is conducted through the internet now. Hell, even old school businesses like mattresses are now being sold through the internet with stores like Casper, Leesa, Eve, Saatva... and so on.

A lot of people have things confused - before the internet was neutral. It's not anymore. Now your internet provider no longer needs to treat all your data equally. This means that Amazon can pay your ISP to make your internet faster only when shopping on Amazon. Or they could say you have unlimited data when on Amazon, but when shopping elsewhere it's all metered and maybe you only get 100 mb of metered data. That would basically mean one page load of WC.

Here's the downside of the consumer.

1.) Your probably going to have your data broken up into buckets. So you'll get x data for youtube/netflix/hulu; x data for online shopping such as ebay, Amazon, and Walmart; and then maybe x data for online gaming. Not so bad right? No it's pretty bad, because they will likely sell it as $50 for internet, and then an extra $15 for each limited data bucket. So suddenly your $50 internet is now $95 with the different data buckets.

2.) If I'm a small business, I'm royally fucked. Imagine I wanted to create Netflix today? Couldn't do it - I'd never have the startup capital to pay for a fast lane with all the different ISPs, meaning no one could view my content. The same goes with if I started a furniture store. Clients probably want to see the furniture before they even check it out in person. All those pictures = big data. If I don't pay for a fast lane, my site is either slow compared to Amazon or sucks up all my user's data.

This a terrible move for every small business and consumer in the United States. There's no rational or reasoning behind it. There are few beneficiaries. We are not any of them.
    Last edited by Inogenius; 06-12-2018 at 05:34 PM.

The Diplomatic Shadow

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post
    We have to realize a lot of business is conducted through the internet now. Hell, even old school businesses like mattresses are now being sold through the internet with stores like Casper, Leesa, Eve, Saatva... and so on.

A lot of people have things confused - before the internet was neutral. It's not anymore. Now your internet provider no longer needs to treat all your data equally. This means that Amazon can pay your ISP to make your internet faster only when shopping on Amazon. Or they could say you have unlimited data when on Amazon, but when shopping elsewhere it's all metered and maybe you only get 100 mb of metered data. That would basically mean one page load of WC.

1.) Your probably going to have your data broken up into buckets. So you'll get x data for youtube/netflix/hulu; x data for online shopping such as ebay, Amazon, and Walmart; and then maybe x data for online gaming. Not so bad right? No it's pretty bad, because they will likely sell it as $50 for internet, and then an extra $15 for each limited data bucket. So suddenly your $50 internet is now $95 with the different data buckets.

2.) If I'm a small business, I'm royally fucked. Imagine I wanted to create Netflix today? Couldn't do it - I'd never have the startup capital to pay for a fast lane with all the different ISPs, meaning no one could view my content. The same goes with if I started a furniture store. Clients probably want to see the furniture before they even check it out in person. All those pictures = big data. If I don't pay for a fast lane, my site is either slow compared to Amazon or sucks up all my user's data.

This a terrible move for every small business and consumer in the United States. There's no rational or reasoning behind it. There are few beneficiaries. We are not any of them.
    Very well put.

And as someone who makes their money online, that's a rough hand to be delt.

And of course, I also have my streaming sites I use for entertainment. I game, as mentioned. It's just bollocks.

It benefits the big business. Only.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Inogenius View Post

Do you know how this affects other countries outside the US?
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Thread Information