Special Tag Team Match
    Kazuchika Okada & Will Ospreay vs Tetsuya Naito & BUSHI

IWGP JR. Heavyweight Championship Match
    Hiromu Takahashi (c) vs. Dragon Lee

NEVER Openweight Championship Match
    Hirooki Goto (c) vs. Jeff Cobb

KUSHIDA and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Marty Scurll and Hangman Page

Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. and Minoru Suzuki

SHO, YOH, Rocky Romero, Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI vs. Chase Owens, Yurijo Takahashi, Tanga Loa, Tama Tonga, and King Haku

---

No big surprises here following Dominion. I think it's the right call on Cody as the first challenger for Omega because that match should draw better in the states than in Japan. As Zero loved their first match at Supercard of Honor so much I'm sure he's hyped for that. Switchblade Vs Juice might be good but I can't see them taking the title off him yet.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW G1 Special In San Francisco - July 7th

So a couple of days after the main matches were announced for this and tickets are not budging at all which is interesting considering All In sold 10k with nothing announced. I think perhaps some fans have made the decision to only do the one NJPW show this year back in March and then All In because people only have so much disposable income and leave days from work to make shows like this. Two NJPW shows and 4 global wars shows, plus flooding ROH PPVs with their own talent might be a case of New Japan going to this American well a little too often.

A black eye on the drawing power of Kenny Omega that his first house as IWGP Heavyweight Champion could be a flop.

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    Two NJPW shows and 4 global wars shows, plus flooding ROH PPVs with their own talent might be a case of New Japan going to this American well a little too often.
    This was my thought a while back. NJPW US shows are becoming less & less special when they're regularly running ROH shows too. I do wonder about the UK shows too, considering most big Rev Pro events are based around New Japan talent coming in, and LIJ also worked the ROH UK tour.

Funny you should bring up Kenny being the champ to bum ticket sales, cause I wondered the same thing across the whole board after Dominion, what with Elgin, The Bucks & Jericho all winning gold too (although granted Jericho won't be on the show, but it's still a pretty big message of intent to how much more evenly gajin are being treated now).

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Diminishing returns is a factor here. I think they still got over 5,000 tickets or something like that so it depends on what New Japan was aiming for on whether or not they considering this as a flop or not.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

It’s all overkill for sure.

All In has definitely had more fan support and a clearer mission than a third or fourth New Japan show in America. Actually makes sense that would sell out and this wouldn’t.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

This just tells me Zero was totally right about that Kenny/Cody match because this rematch didn't move any needles and seeing it A. Happen at all. but also B. Suck so much. really hurt the drawing power for the second go around. Just in general the card's pretty lackluster.

But really I said that same point about All In getting in the way a few weeks ago and there's no doubt it had a negative effect on this show but it's also an example of poor booking. If they had a better card with a better main event they would be doing better than this.

They didn't run a 10,000 seat building with the intent of doing around the same number as in March.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

SHO, YOH, Rocky Romero, Gedo, YOSHI-HASHI vs. Chase Owens, Yujiro Takahashi, Tanga Loa, Tama Tonga, and King Haku: **½
    This was okay.

Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii vs. Zack Sabre Jr. and Minoru Suzuki: **¾

Very fun tag team match. Ishii vs Suzuki parts were great. The Yano vs Sabre parts were very fun and entertaining. That G1 match is going to be a blast

KUSHIDA and Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Marty Scurll and Hangman Page: ***
    Not much of a Scurll fan these days and Page… well nope. But solid match. Some nice few sequences he and there.

Hirooki Goto vs. Jeff Cobb: ***¼
    Pretty good for the most part. Liked everything Goto did and Cobb pulled of some great displays of strength and athleticism. But the match lacked any sort of flow IMO. Crowd was pretty weak as well and it did that away from the match a little.

The Young Bucks vs. EVIL and SANADA: ***¾

Very good tag team match for the most part. SANADA and EVIL did a good job at cutting off the Bucks from one another and building towards the hot tag. Thought them switching roles after that was well done and it lead to a compelling and unpredictable match. Some good near falls. Didn't like the ending much with Matt Jackson kicking out of the magic killer and the Bucks winning, perhaps another save from Nick or him reversing the move would've been better because the kick out was unnecessary. SANADA was fantastic here. Everything he did come off so smooth. Prefer their dominion match better.

Kazuchika Okada and Will Ospreay vs. Tetsuya Naito and BUSHI: ***¼
    This might as well have been a one on one match. It was basically Okada vs Naito despite nothing doing much at all and Ospreay and BUSHI did every little of note. One of the biggest criticisms Okada has is his expressions and he fixed that in this match and a few other matches as well. Much more jovial and confident, no, arrogant in the match.

Hiromu Takahashi vs. Dragon Lee: ****

Pretty incredible match. Relentless pace for all of the match. Incredible move after incredible move. Nasty, brutal head/neck bump by Hiromu for the Phoenix-plex. Few mishaps here and there but nothing major besides the bump which apparently broke his neck. Awesome match.

Jay White vs. Juice Robinson: ****¼

Finally. The Jay White character and his wrestling come together. Such excellent heel work that not only garnered tremendous amounts of boos from the crowd but gained loads of sympathy for Juice. Nothing too flashy apart from the Russian Leg Sweep off the apron. A match focused on the left hand of Juice and it worked. Juice sold it really well all match, selling the stomps from White will. They did a good job teasing it not being allowed in the match and incorporated it well. I really hope that Barnett spot was planned (probably was) because that was genius. JR falling, the crowd booing the hell out of White, Barnett wanting to kick his ass. That was awesome. Incredible match with some great build to go along with it. Glad Juice won a title finally.

Kenny Omega vs. Cody: ***
    First off, the crowd not cheering Tenryu when the championship package came up. SMH. Was hoping that Cody would go full on Inoki and came down to the ring on a cross. Oh well. The match was good I thought. Some nice character work and few good spots. It was pretty full for the most part and dragged in between the spots. Better than their last match which isn't saying a lot.

The aftermath angle was pretty awesome though. I was wondering when The Tongans would get involved. Incredibly well done.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Haven’t watched anything from the show but heard that Hiromu has broken his neck

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Hiromu took a real shitty bump from that Phoenix Plex and that’s what they think did it. Poor bastard.

That match and the US title match were incredible. Heck, even with their usual AXS problems this was probably the best up and down New Japan US show so far. There wasn’t a bad match (Kenny and Cody was whatever but it wasn’t bad) and some solid moments. Should have watched this instead of UFC.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vsEpFYjNAw

Juice’s form for G1: pretty shitty jape
    -------
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Only watched the half of the show I was interested in.

Goto/Cobb - Fine match, I assume it was the point of the show where it started to pick up. Nothing about this had me longing for Cobb in a G1 however.

Bucks/LIJ - Maybe it was because this was was less hyped up than the Dominion match, but I preferred this bout to the title switch. This looked like more of a struggle for Matt and Nick and there were multiple times I thought Evil and Sanada had it won.

Hiromu/Dragon - Tough to watch after knowing what happens to Hiromu, especially the moves he took and performed after the neck break spot happened. Out of context it's another great match between these two but in context it's their least enjoyable one. I actually preferred this to the BOSJ match between them a few months ago.

Juice/Switchblade - Clear MOTN, this was terrific and by god did Jay need a match like this to settle some concerns heading into the G1. He was excellent as a heel and comfortable in his own skin when usually I feel like the gimmick weighs down on him. To get those type of boos in the most smark crowd going where all the heels on the show are 'cool heels' who get cheered, is a triumph. I don't know whether the Josh and JR stuff was a work or an hot-headed accident (un-linked guardrails seemed to be an issue all night), but Jay reacted perfectly to it. I thought the stuff with Juice not being able to use his left hand because of the cast added a unique story to the match to help it stand out from everything else I've watched from New Japan recently, it led to a great moment where Jay got to use it when the referees back was turned.

Omega/Cody - These matches have all the melodrama of Ciampa and Gargano's epic matches, but without the great wrestling and good acting to keep you engaged. I've had enough of concerned Young bucks cheerleading in matches, and that was double downed on with Brandi as well. Seeing Cody try to use moves he doesn't know how to pull off like a snap dragon suplex just because he thinks that's the NJPW main event style was painful and scary after what we saw earlier in the night. Right at the end of the match he prevents V-Trigger by doing a lariat in the closing stretch and it looks abysmal. NO MORE CODY RHODES MAIN EVENTS. This is a match that really hits home that this isn't a hot feud because it's main eventing a half-sold out show and they feel the need to use tables and ladders in a regular match to hold the fan's interest. The Kenny reign is off to a bad start.

Main Event angle is hilarious and I don't know how it's being praised as fantastic storytelling when it's the same angle they've been doing for years when one branch of the Bullet Club isn't happy and attacks the other, but this time it's two guys and their dad destroying the entire faction. Presumably Fale replaces Haku in Japan (why not wait until Fale was in town to pull this off), but that's still leaving you with a 3 Vs 8 split in the faction so I don't know how this is going to work going forward. Yes it has added some Juice to Tama being in the G1 and he'll grab headlines for his press conference promos, but he's still a shitty singles wrestler who has bombed in his previous two tournaments. Maybe Tama Vs Kenny is the plan for the September shows, but yuck that sounds awful.

JR commentating on New Japan is like Mark Lawrenson commentating on the world cup, shows no enthusiasm for a product the younger generation love and use it as a soapbox to shit on all the things he doesn't like about it and back in my day nonsense.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I pretty much agree with all of Ed's points. With a couple of caveats to add on.

It really is true, Cobb is a lot better on paper than in reality. Never seems to live up to what I think he could be. Good, but disappointing match especially after after Goto/Elgin stood out so much. I didn't like Cobb's backflips.

I was on board with you on the Bucks/LIJ tag being better than Dominion, but the ref bump brought it back then SuperNick kicked out of the IndyTaker on the chair AND the Magic Killer? I wasn't feeling it, good match though.

Hiromu/Lee completely agree and to me the saddest part was the injury was wholly avoidable in a match that blends in to 5 of their other matches.

I thought the commentary was SO awful on Jay/Juice (it was bad all night but especially there and it just made the whole match look like a joke. Much better in Japanese. Jay/Barnett could have some sweet promos. Great match, they blew the finish by going extra after the cast punch/Pulp Friction. Also I'm still not on board with Jay as a worker yet because this was such a unique and storyline match that he thrives in, in G1 the matches will be primarily just wrestling and he's got to find a way to merge his two sides together. Juice is the real deal, one of the best of NJPW in 2018. Ya heard it here first, people.

Kenny/Cody was lackluster stuff and Cody has had an awful in-ring year. Completely agree, it's probably for the best Cody's taking a break. Bad start? I don't see how his title reign could have gone worse so far. 2 controversies, got busted trying to cover one up, has been a box office flop twice in his specific territory he was made champion to help, a shitty Attitude Era match that went way too long and his next feud is potentially with Tama Tonga? Yikes.

I think Ishimori will be with the Tongans and maybe Fale can recruit Henare or something, but it's still 6 on 8 including Haku (I guess someone can turn like Hangman or whatever...what a shitty faction this is right now though. The storyline was mindboggling. This has all ended with Cody and Kenny as friends!? And why the hell is Hangman just randomly running in to help Kenny? He was against him from the start! Great, a race war between a bunch of lame wrestlers. No wonder Ibushi didn't want to be on this show if this was the plan. (Not that half the wrestlers seemed to wanna be either that were there) Stupid angle and I don't have a need for this faction.

Lawrenson is bad, and JR's even worse. Not only did he bitch about a bunch of his Watts-era nonsense, but he also makes crazy comparisons to old school wrestlers and STILL gets names wrong. Poor BUSHI especially. Man, how many screwups can NJPW allow before someone makes changes?
    Angels in Flight~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

YES! YES! YES!

Status

You're right, I forgot about the ace of the Jr division Ishimori. Tama being the one to debut him means he'll undoubtedly be #TeamTama so that's another one to the fold. Henare too might be a good option, but eh I'm not really down for this at all. Cody coming to Kenny's aid is just ridiculous, it's like when Brie just shrugged her shoulders and said 'blood is thicker than water' and suddenly she's ok with Nikki Bella again straight after all the I WISH YOU DIED IN THE WOMB stuff.

Surprised you got my Lawro reference, thought that would be lost on non-UK people. I just feel bad for Kevin Kelly who does a stellar job with the English commentary and knows his info inside out and then some hack who should be in a retirement home swoops in and takes his job when they are on American soil.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I’ve been tired of Bullet Club dissension for what feels like a year now. The Tama turn didn’t blow me away and it felt ironically like a Young Bucks PWG beat down where everything get so illogical.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

I liked the angle at the time but yeah, there are loads of plotholes in the segment. At least have Bad Luck Fale with the Tongans. And Tama Tonga in a top feud sounds very underwhelming. Him and Tonga Loa. They are nothing more than tag guys and it's a bit jarring to see them presented as a big deal now. Bullet Club has way too many sub factions and the whole thing is just convoluted. The Tongans, The Elite, Golden Elite. It's too much and I lost interest in the stable and this angle. It doesn't help that it felt like it ended months back.

Anyway, loads of people have said something on the lines of it looks like the wrestlers don't want to be there. I can see that. The quality of the normal shows opposed to the US shows is miles apart and it sees like only the foreign talent are the ones trying on the US shows.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Didn't they literally just make a new kenny/Ibushi/Bucks team called the golden elite to sell a bunch of t-shirts a few weeks ago? That's one quick rebrand that the marks are gonna have to buy a new t-shirt for.

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Seems like I'm pretty alone on a lot of my opinions on this show. I felt like top-to-bottom it was very enjoyable show; the opening tags were all fun, the NEVER title match was a good watch, Bucks/LIJ was really good, Okada & Ospreay vs. Naito & BUSHI was decent...

...and then came the Junior title match. I watched this after the news Hiromu's neck was broken during it and that definitely coloured my opinion of it - I can't watch this match and say it was good because it's a match that severly injured one of it's competitors. I feel the same way about Shibata/Okada and pretty much any match involving Benoit. The point of prowrestling is to make people believe you're really fighting without really fighting and if prowrestling were real then that suplex Dragon Lee threw would make sense as a move to end a match, but it isn't and so that suplex makes no sense. Neither man had control over the bump Hiromu was going to take and to me that makes the move too dangerous to do. The match they had at BOSJ not so long ago was wild and crazy but no one broke their neck, so for me, that's the better match.

Switchblade/Juice was very good but once again I'm soured by the fact that Jim Ross is in hospital because no one thought to link the fucking fences together. It's not really on the talent involved so I can't discount the great work done by the two men in the match, but Ross and Barnett were clearly pissed about it and made their feelings known on commentary by shitting on the match, which made it harder to enjoy. Really happy for Juice though, and even before the stuff with Ross and Barnett White was getting serious heat from the crowd which I like to see.

My personal match of the night was the main event. Can I say that's because of the injuries in the two that proceeded it? Maybe... but for me I just thought there was so much drama to everything they did and having gone *ahem* #AllIn on the Bullet Club stuff since I started watching (and it took a while for them to hook me in) and now watching Being The Elite every week, it really felt like a culmination of a lot of stuff and delivered at a much higher level than the Supercard match. I will say though, the last five minutes or so got very standard as far as Omega matches go and his spamming of the V-trigger needs to end, but for at least 90% of the match I was fully invested and loving it all.

The Tongan's turning on The Elite and the Being The Elite Cast made sense but what really threw me was that they also turned on Yujiro and Chase, two guys that were loyal to the BCOG crew from the start of this Cody/Kenny feud and that seemed so strange to me. I'm assuming that Fale and Ishimori will be with the "Firing Squad" faction and that what we're essentially going to get now is the BCOG's vs. the Being The Elite Cast for the Bullet Club name and I'm thinking we may end up seeing Owens and the Tokyo Pimp proving their loyalty to the Tongan crew anyway, just to even up the numbers more.

Cody coming to Kenny's aid didn't bug me like it seems to for many here. Partially because I feel like a lot of that emotional journey has been covered in BTE, partially because I think he learned his place in the group (for now at least) during the match he'd just been a part of, and partially because it wasn't just Kenny out there that he was saving it was everyone - Cody saw a chance to be seen as a hero and he took it.

Overall I really enjoyed the show and I just hope that Hiromu and JR make full recovery's from their respective injuries.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

It was an enjoyable show up & down, I just didn't like the main event or the Okada & Naito tag.

When I posted my thoughts I didn't know about JR's injury. The Dragon Driver was a botch, it was meant to be a pin but his fingers slipped. (Many speculate due to Lee wrestling 3 matches 1 night prior at KOI) It's scary to think them going on the next couple of minutes after the neckbreak but it really was an incredible display of heart from Hiromu. He's flown back to Japan now and I'm happy he seems to have dodged anything too tragic. Am hopeful for the best and an eventual return. As for JR it's really a lot of people's fault, the setup was terrible and who knows what compelled Jay to throw him directly at the announcers. As I said I thought the commentary was atrocious all night but they actively dragged down the Juice/Jay match.

Hangman rushing to save Kenny to me was worse than Cody but there were a lot of holes to look at and turning on Chase & Yujiro was nonsensical too.
    Angels in Flight~

Thread Information