Thread: AAA Running Madison Square Gardens

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

AAA AAA Running Madison Square Gardens

The September date AAA has a hold for on New York City's Madison Square Garden is indeed for the historic 20,789-seat arena.

PWInsider.com is told that while WWE would technically have the right of first refusal on the date based on their agreement with the venue, the larger story at play here is that MSG management isn't happy that WWE has been running the majority of their events in the New York City market at the nearby Barclay Center in Brooklyn, NY.

The tipping point appears to have been WWE making the decision to run all of their Wrestlemania 35 week events in 2019 at Barclays, leaving MSG out in the cold. Wrestlemania 1, 10 and 20 were held at MSG as was the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in 2013, the last time Wrestlemania was held in the NYC market.

With WWE electing not to run Wrestlemania week at the legendary venue, MSG management has been more open than ever before to allowing other pro wrestling groups into the venue. We are told they have sent feelers out to different groups and are more open to booking non-WWE events than ever before. That may or may not have been why Ring of Honor teased "All In 2" potentially coming to the Garden over the weekend.

Of course, MSG and the Barclays have been competing for the same touring acts since the Barclays officially opened in 2012, so all of these moves may be the Garden's way of trying to leverage WWE into running their facility more often. The Garden historically was WWE's most important venue for many, many, many decades.

No other wrestling promotion has ever run MSG since the advent of the McMahon family's relationship with the legendary venue. From time to time, the adjacent Theater in Madison Square Garden has hosted pro wrestling events, including WCW, AAA and the original Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, but those events have been very rare.

As all of this comes out, it's interesting to note that this week, WWE announced the first appearance of The Undertaker in MSG since September 2010 will be on 7/7 when the company returns there for a Raw live event. That event will also feature the WWE MSG debut of former UFC Bantamweight Champ Ronda Rousey.

pwinsider
    Wrestling in 2018 gets even weirder.

Dylan, this sounds way too ambitious for AAA right?

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Re: AAA Running Madison Square Gardens

Is there any reason WWE haven't put on so much as a televised RAW in MSG since .. shit, last thing I remember was Kofi putting Orton through a table .. must've been ten years ago?

The shows were always noteworthy.

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

I always loved the PPV set ups with the smaller entrance before the place got upgraded.

Can't blame AAA having a crack at it, successful or not.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

I don't know if AAA can sell out that arena. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.

All in 2 can definitely sell it out though, and I would be surprised if they didn't run the building some time next year.

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by RobyD View Post
    I don't know if AAA can sell out that arena. Maybe they can, maybe they can't.
    Considering the WWE stranglehold on the building, I'd say it's more of a statement to even run it. Selling out would be a bonus.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Is there any reason WWE haven't put on so much as a televised RAW in MSG since .. shit, last thing I remember was Kofi putting Orton through a table .. must've been ten years ago?

The shows were always noteworthy.

I think the cost of running the place means WWE look elsewhere but I could be wrong.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status

Only AAA are ballsy enough to do this

Maybe that's why they inserted Jarrett into the Wagner vs Mysterio match so they could do it at this show.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Curtain Jerker

Status

I don't even follow AAA & I'm intrigued.

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

I'm really happy for AAA, it's ballsy and I have faith they'll have an entertaining show in MSG.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Considering how expensive MSG is, this doesn't seem like a very wise idea. When the biggest wrestling company in the world has drastically cut down on the amount of times they go to MSG, it seems crazy to me that another wrestling company will think it will be beneficial to run in the Garden. Even if this goes through, which is still a big IF since this isn't the first time a wrestling company has signed on to hold an event there only for it to be cancelled, I can't imagine the WWE will just stand back and not try to fuck with it in some manner.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Considering how expensive MSG is, this doesn't seem like a very wise idea. When the biggest wrestling company in the world has drastically cut down on the amount of times they go to MSG, it seems crazy to me that another wrestling company will think it will be beneficial to run in the Garden. Even if this goes through, which is still a big IF since this isn't the first time a wrestling company has signed on to hold an event there only for it to be cancelled, I can't imagine the WWE will just stand back and not try to fuck with it in some manner.
    Is that partially why we don't get anniversary Manias there anymore?

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*
    HELLO, EMMA: SCREAM MAFIA 2

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarkslayer View Post
    Is that partially why we don't get anniversary Manias there anymore?
    No. If there's any reason why there aren't any Manias at MSG anymore, it's because at most, they can only fit ~20,000 people. That's uh...really low compared to what they do now. Forget about ticket sales, that's a massive loss for merchandise sales they'd make at Mania if WWE were to go back to MSG for Mania.

Status

No. If there's any reason why there aren't any Manias at MSG anymore, it's because at most, they can only fit ~20,000 people. That's uh...really low compared to what they do now. Forget about ticket sales, that's a massive loss for merchandise sales they'd make at Mania if WWE were to go back to MSG for Mania.
    I always figured that was the only reason, but when you said WWE was cutting back because of cost issues, I figured it might play a factor. Loss of revenue aside, the 1, 10, 20 manias felt special and I was bummed when 30 wasn't there. WWE always made a big deal out of the arena.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarkslayer View Post
    I always figured that was the only reason, but when you said WWE was cutting back because of cost issues, I figured it might play a factor. Loss of revenue aside, the 1, 10, 20 manias felt special and I was bummed when 30 wasn't there. WWE always made a big deal out of the arena.
    I was talking about running MSG in general. Granted, this was many years ago, but Vince Sr. used to run MSG at a money loss simply because of the prestige. In modern day WWE, they haven't ran a televised/PPV event at MSG since Survivor Series 2011 (Well, and technically the WWE Network special from 2015). If all they're doing is using MSG as a house show building, the expectations is nowhere near as high as they do for Wrestlemania. The fact that they so rarely go there anymore is a clear sign that financially, it doesn't make much sense, even for just a house show or televised event.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

They really should tape when they run the odd house show at MSG for the network. They hype it up on twitter all the time when they go there as 'it's AJ Style's first ever MSG appearance' and yadda yadda yadda, and all you ever see is still photos from the show.

Anyway, Jeff Jarrett defending against Hulk Hogan for the AAA title could sell out the building.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    They really should tape when they run the odd house show at MSG for the network. They hype it up on twitter all the time when they go there as 'it's AJ Style's first ever MSG appearance' and yadda yadda yadda, and all you ever see is still photos from the show.

Anyway, Jeff Jarrett defending against Hulk Hogan for the AAA title could sell out the building.
    Are they building this feud over the Bash at the Beach 2000 shoot on Hogan?

I'd "pay" to see that.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I don't know why they don't. There's time when there's a camera crew there. Like last July when Styles won the US Title from Owens. There was a camera crew to record the entire match so that it could be added on a future DVD. Just do a bare bones telecast, not unlike what they used to do on the MSG Network back in the day. Starrcade 2017 is a great example of a house show WWE went so far out of their way to hype and then they did jack shit with it.

Status

I don't know why they don't. There's time when there's a camera crew there. Like last July when Styles won the US Title from Owens. There was a camera crew to record the entire match so that it could be added on a future DVD. Just do a bare bones telecast, not unlike what they used to do on the MSG Network back in the day. Starrcade 2017 is a great example of a house show WWE went so far out of their way to hype and then they did jack shit with it.
    Absolutely agreed. I still can't fathom why there isn't some kind of version of Starrcade 2017 on the Network.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    - - - - - - -

Sweet Meat

Status

I mean, they tape all the shows. But I'm just being a stickler. I get what you mean, it'd be neat if they gave it a bit of production and aired it.

Anyway, this won't end up happening.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

It's just a hold on the date, there's still plenty of time for it to get canned. I can't imagine the thinking behind even teasing it, they didn't even sell out their big show in México 2 days ago, letalone trying something like MSG.

All I know Ed is if they sell it out it'll be because LA Park was in the main event, & he has to be considered the biggest draw & WOTY.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Thread Information