Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zero's Top 50 Matches of 1991

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Zero's Top 50 Matches of 1991

La Fiera vs Jerry Estrada (Chain Match) - Monterrey, January 23rd:
    This was intense. Nothing fancy, punches, chokes, hitting each others with chains. All great stuff. They bleed everywhere. Very heated contest where they played up their hatred of one another. Enjoyable match for the most part.

Riki Choshu vs Shinya Hashimoto - NJPW G1 Climax, August 9th:
    How was this not taped? This is a very good match and a big one at that. Liked the quick start with Choshu attacking Hashimoto straight off the bat, a real sense of urgency with his attack. Almost like he knows that Hashimoto is bigger, stronger, healthier and better in some ways so he has to end it quick. With that turning out to be the case when Hashimoto made his comeback and dominated the rest of the match with Choshu ever giving up, throwing the white towel out of the ring. Not sure if that was planned but that was an awesome spot.

Jungle Jack (Aja Kong & Bison Kimura) vs. Gokumon-to (Bull Nakano & Kyoko Inoue)- AJW Shogeki! Waisha Kamikiri Tag The Soul Of Shout ~Kawasaki Jikkon~, January 11th:
    Very chaotic match. Very stiff, loads of weapons. This felt like a fight. A fun, entertaining fight. Lots of emotions going on with it being a hair vs hair match, especially from Bison Kimura. I can’t do this match justice. Had its flaws but this was a great match.

Sting vs Cactus Jack (Submit or Surrender) - WCW Power Hour, November 23rd:
    Have to admit, I was not into this match at all. I’m not really fan of Sting matches and this was fairly unremarkable for me until the ending which I liked. Cactus Jack’s bump was crazy. Sickening.

------
    Jumbo Tsuruta vs Kenta Kobashi - AJPW TV May 24th:
    Such a shame that this was clipped because you could just tell that they had a great match before it started and they had a great set up. Oh well, the 10 minutes that this was on was outstanding. Kobashi just trying to fight against Jumbo’s offence, not staying down after high knee after high knee. Great storytelling and the fans brought into it with chants of Kobashi that would be prevalent for the next 20 years. If I looked at the 10 minutes as a vacuum, this would be borderline MOTYC imo.

The Scorpion vs. Cutie Suzuki (Mask vs. Hair) - JWP, October 19th:
    Ain’t got much of this as I was doing other things at the same time, but I really enjoyed this. I like watching Cutie Suzuki matches so it’s interesting to see her against someone other than the usual names that come up around this era.

The Rockers vs Orient Express - WWF Royal Rumble, January 19th:
    Real interesting match because this didn't really follow the generic “babyface sells for 90% of the match for the heels” formula. The Rockers dominated for a considerable amount of this match. This was very 50/50 which is a breath of fresh air when it comes to tag team matches. The match did have a lull in the body of the match, but the rest of the match very enjoyable. The Rockers did a great job at working the crowd and sending them into a frenzy.

Hulk Hogan vs Sgt Slaughter - WWF at Madison Square Garden, June 3rd:
    Can’t believe I’m saying this but THIS WAS AWESOME. I’m not a Hogan fan by any means by this was a great performance and imo, one of his best matches. The way he just dominated Slaughter with a great intensity. This wasn’t the goofy, american hero that he normally is. He is the pissed off american who wants rid of Slaughter and it showed. Slaughter bumped well, although it was a bit ridiculous with the top rope spot, and sold well. Overall a unexpectedly great match. Heenan was hilarious in this match.
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-15-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Quality wise, it would have been a great Summerslam main event. It's a shockingly great match and a true hidden gem for 1991. However, it did make sense for the WWE not to go for the match for Summerslam. The match didn't draw. WM 7 was already a massive disappointment. On the house show circuit, they weren't drawing good either to the point where the B touring group headlined with Taker vs Warrior was outdrawing the A touring group of Slaughter vs Hogan. With things spiraling out of control for the WWE, I imagine McMahon thought his safest bet to salvage Summerslam was putting Warrior and Hogan together. In theory, it makes sense, but as things turn out, that didn't exactly work out. In hindsight, I don't know why they didn't try beefing up the heel side. A handicap match with Hogan/Warrior vs Slaughter/Taker/Roberts may have drawn better.
    I would have agreed with this better if they would have had a different actual main event away from the Hogan/Slaughter feud. No problem with putting someone else there besides Slaughter, but if the options are this and the handicap match, I think this would have been the better option. (And actually they had been slow burning Taker & Hogan throughout the last few months and besides him & Slaughter there weren't many options at the time. I would have loved to see Jake in a main event role. From a promo perspective he might be US MVP in '91.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    I love the Desert Storm match, probably my second favourite Hogan match after the Warrior Wrestlemania VI match. Slaughter is such a fun wrestler to watch, particularly his selling.
    Hogan vs. Backlund in 1980 was a hell of a match too & UW was an unforgettable spectacle. Maybe there'll even be another Hogan match on my list too. Regardless Desert Storm is definitely up there. Slaughter doesn't get nearly enough props as a worker. He was great pre-WWF and showed he could still rock it.

-

@MC: Surprised you didn't like the Sting match even at all. I'm not gonna praise him as the best worker and have argued against him for HOF before but I thought him & Foley had great chemistry and brought the best out of each other. At least you liked the Nestea Plunge. I thought it was incredibly well worked but something like the Joshi tag was more exciting. My only problem with it was Kyoko just being too green and being too ambitious. Also glad you liked Slaughter/Hogan. Slaughter was awesome and I'll never put over Hogan as a businessmen or ethical guy, but in-ring he could have been good, but played to WWF fans who didn't know any better and wanted a superman.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Egypt

Next batch, featuring arguably my personal favorite of the year!

30. Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW World Tag Titles & All Asia Tag Titles) - AJPW Summer Action Series II, September 4th

This was a weird match for at least half of it with the drama being Kawada ONCE AGAIN having to withstand a 1 on 2 disadvantage in a tag match in 1991, this time with Misawa getting wrapped up. Of note it really felt like Taue was really elevated as a true heel to the fans. At times Jumbo still retained popularity but Taue was getting straight boos. Kawada was valiant as always holding off the Jumbo Army on his own but things pick up and build to something special when Misawa rushes in and has a superhuman run with the shoulder that's been injured for months. The young boys rushed the tape & it quickly unraveled when it was time to bop. Jumbo must have been hanging out with a Fuchi too much because when Misawa scores a nearfall he broke it up with a stomp right to the shoulder. Of course it comes down to Jumbo & Misawa and the finish is something that ranks up there as a moment of the year candidate and I won't spoil it here but AJPW had some tricks up their sleeves booking-wise and really it was just brilliant and the crowd went nuts. The tag division was definitely on fire and the feud of the year is still super hot over a year. Great job, Baba.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXV59rooHY or http://theditch.biz/chron.html

-

29. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Yoji Anjo - UWFi Moving On II, July 3rd

Tamura has still yet to have 10 matches. Somehow still arguably the most talented wrestler in the world. Anjo was in the midst of a big push as Takada's partner & right hand man with much more experience than Tamura, as well as a reputation for being a bully and an overconfident one at that. (as we would see 3 years later with during him flying to America with a bunch of Japanese press to prove he could heat up non-Japanese fighters, storming Rickson Gracie, getting destroyed and in a roundabout way starting PRIDE.) He also came out to a Rick Springfield song. This match shows how Tamura was so talented selling, but in a way that you knew he'd eventually get his. I loved a spot where he did pop off and Anjo had a great way of selling where he was hurting but also that he couldn't believe Tamura would dare hit him that hard. Tamura largely played defense here but made it exciting with his sprawling, his shiftiness, his counters, from a micro level this was one of the best performances of the year and the crowd was behind him big to this point and you knew he was a surefire star. Anjo played a great role and despite his reputation as a dirty asshole, he worked really well with Tamura and even after the match, he gave Tamura a look of respect after the match which was huge. Excellent technical wrestling, great, stiff, strikes, and a great overall match that's quite accessible too. Give UWF-i a shot.

Available: http://theditch.us/090s.html

-

28. Los Brazos (El Brazo, Brazo de Oro, & Brazo de Plata) vs. Los Infernales (MS-1, Pirata Morgan & Satanico) (CMLL World Trios Championships) - CMLL Super Viernes, November 22nd

The Brazos were a Trio more focused on comedy than pure quality sometimes and if you know Dylan, you know he is a wrestling purist in his heart. (Unless he watches terrible wrestling to laugh at like WOW or Great American Bash 2000) So The Brazos, particularly Brazo de Plata will not rank super high on my all time favorite Luchadores list. That said, 1991 was a huge year for the brothers and this was a complete match and a great one at that. Sometimes 2/3 Falls get criticized for only the 3rd fall mattering but every nearfall in this match mattered to the fans and the finish to the Primera was the highlight for me. This had everything and everyone except Porky looked great to elevate this as a Lucha Trios of the Year candidate. Of course they did try to add some comedy with Porky and it builds to him hitting two big dives. Satánico looked the best to me as he kept up his 1990 WOTYC form but all of the Rudos stood out, although I give a slight edge to a couple of other standouts, this was great stuff.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0yjB1OgTk

-

27. Los Ninja Turtles & Robin Hood vs Los Temerarios (Shu El Guerrero, Jose Luis Feliciano, El Texano, Black Terry & Ricky Boy) - Hamada's UWF, September 10th

This is one of those hyper obscure matches that make doing these so great. Because when it comes to WOTY candidates who thinks: Jumbo...Misawa...Robin Hood!? Fun note considering the prior match, Robin Hood was in fact another Brazos brother! He was originally trained by Brazo de Oro and wrestled as the legendary character before getting the more traditional name of Brazo Cibernetico. We have the original faction of Tortugas Ninja teaming with the cult hero who in fact was feuding with the opponents in CMLL af the time, an actually pretty great team of rudos known as Los Temerarios including Texano Jr.'s dad & Black Terry, an amazing rudo brawler to this day, along with Shu el Guerrero, a lesser known player but solid third man and good hand that actually took Robin Hood's mask in CMLL in 1990. But this was a showcase for the heroes, which appeared to be Lesser, Pantera, & the original US Turtle, Memphis' Kowabunga, Chris Champion! There was everything you want in a high level Lucha match in 1991, great dive train, comedy spots, but Robin Hood stands out above the rest, not just for his amazing offensive ability, but he took some huge bumps, even in his nether regions. The rudo beatdown wasn't fantastic & I was waiting for the 3rd fall, when things got awesome again. They went wild and in the end Robin Hood steals from the rich, and takes home his winnings to Maid Marian. This match-up which seems right at home in a Persona game provided one of the most fun Lucha spectacles of the year.

Down note but Robin Hood passed away in 1999 at the young age of 33 due to what was said to be an acute infection, though it's disputed by many. He was one of the main trainers for AAA before his death at one point and a hell of a Luchador. Much like the man he portrayed, he was a legend. His son wrestles in CMLL today as simply Robin and is working his way to being a talent in his own right.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUICDpdU6hw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_IRFigrAhU&t=353s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdJie7ppk0&t=546s

-

26. Akira Hokuto vs Bull Nakano (WWWA World Championship) - AJW TV, January 4th

Bull Nakano: What I wish Brock Lesnar was like. As I said in the 1990 thread, there were changes in every major company at the top of the card, Bull gave a HARD no to any kind of changes at the top in Zenjo. So in between taking care of Aja in the cage a month prior and taking her hair a week after this match, she had another Red Belt title defense, against Miss Victory Through Guts, Akira Hokuto. Hokuto's in the middle of her excellent feud with Toyota (Check 1990 thread for more on that) and after 5 monthsgets her shot at the big belt in Zenjo. She knows even for someone as much of a badass as she is, Bull's no normal opponent, she's gonna have to go all out to even have a chance against this monster. Within the first minute there isn't just a sense of urgency, there's a sense of desperation from Hokuto. She hits multiple big moves but it doesn't do much actual damage and then she keeps trying to go for some quick pins, but after that doesn't work it's time for Bull to take over and that means pain for Hokuto. Hokuto had a great performance selling here and despite the size difference they told a great story of Hokuto's grit being on another level and evening the odds against this destructive force that rules this world of AJW. Bull had terrifying physical charisma & it led to her having to break out her more high risk manuevers like the Leg Drop & Springboard Enziguri just made things seem even more impossible. But Hokuto doesn't know those words, she had to be one of the best performers in wrestling I've ever seen and it came across in this match. She picked her spots and put herself on the line to deliver four consecutive Missle Dropkicks to get a tremendous nearfall. But it wasn't to be. Bull gets her own nearfall with an absolutely incredible Tombstone on Hokuto from the middle rope! Spot of the year candidate and continues the run of Bull doing something amazing once per match. It wasn't total destruction like normal for Bull, and Hokuto fought to the very end, but after Hokuto misses the big Roundhouse Kick and Bull pulls her in for the Backdrop Hold for the win. Two of Joshi's finest but I thought Hokuto was what elevated this to the next level. Bull sold vulnerability well while still maintaining her aura. Must-Watch.

In a truly amazing piece of trivia, this was the Hokuto's first and LAST Red Belt title shot.

Available: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v172290227rxFdKn4
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada - AJPW Summer Action Series II, September 4th:
    Great continuation from Misawa/Jumbo’s feud from last year. That ending was great with Misawa getting the submission over Jumbo to a thunderous reaction from the crowd. Kawada being left alone for large portions of the match due to Misawa’s injury was a nice touch, allows Kawada to show of his selling abilities and get heat and Misawa gets sympathy for the injury, allowing him to get the reaction he got at the end whilst Taue and Jumbo look cleaver and very dominate. Good tag team match. It may not be the best tag match of the 90’s (for All Japan anyway) but it’s a smartly worked match.

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Yoji Anjo - UWFi Moving On II, July 3rd:
    Love the Anjo/Rickson Gracie story. Always a good one to tell people, even if they aren’t wrestling fans. Anyway, another great Tamura match. Some good striking which I always like to see and some good grappling as well.

Los Brazos (El Brazo, Brazo de Oro, & Brazo de Plata) vs. Los Infernales (MS-1, Pirata Morgan & Satánico) - CMLL Super Viernes, November 22nd:
    This was a fun match up. I’ve only heard of Satánico and Pirata Morgan but it wasn’t a problem.

Los Ninja Turtles & Robin Hood vs Los Temerarios (Shu El Guerrero, Jose Luis Feliciano, El Texano, Black Terry & Ricky Boy) - UWF, September 10th:
    Weird match but I liked it. Lots of fun. Some good wrestling as well.

Akira Hokuto vs Bull Nakano - AJW TV, January 4th:
    Very good match. Very even for the most part. Both sold each others offence really well, especially Bull for some her size. They put each other well as big stars and some who you don’t want to mess with. Some great near falls in the end for Hokuto that I really bought in to which is very typical of all Hokuto matches. The ability to suck you in is a very special one and Hokuto has that down pat.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information