Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero's Top 50 Matches of 1991

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Zero's Top 50 Matches of 1991

La Fiera vs Jerry Estrada (Chain Match) - Monterrey, January 23rd:
    This was intense. Nothing fancy, punches, chokes, hitting each others with chains. All great stuff. They bleed everywhere. Very heated contest where they played up their hatred of one another. Enjoyable match for the most part.

Riki Choshu vs Shinya Hashimoto - NJPW G1 Climax, August 9th:
    How was this not taped? This is a very good match and a big one at that. Liked the quick start with Choshu attacking Hashimoto straight off the bat, a real sense of urgency with his attack. Almost like he knows that Hashimoto is bigger, stronger, healthier and better in some ways so he has to end it quick. With that turning out to be the case when Hashimoto made his comeback and dominated the rest of the match with Choshu ever giving up, throwing the white towel out of the ring. Not sure if that was planned but that was an awesome spot.

Jungle Jack (Aja Kong & Bison Kimura) vs. Gokumon-to (Bull Nakano & Kyoko Inoue)- AJW Shogeki! Waisha Kamikiri Tag The Soul Of Shout ~Kawasaki Jikkon~, January 11th:
    Very chaotic match. Very stiff, loads of weapons. This felt like a fight. A fun, entertaining fight. Lots of emotions going on with it being a hair vs hair match, especially from Bison Kimura. I can’t do this match justice. Had its flaws but this was a great match.

Sting vs Cactus Jack (Submit or Surrender) - WCW Power Hour, November 23rd:
    Have to admit, I was not into this match at all. I’m not really fan of Sting matches and this was fairly unremarkable for me until the ending which I liked. Cactus Jack’s bump was crazy. Sickening.

------
    Jumbo Tsuruta vs Kenta Kobashi - AJPW TV May 24th:
    Such a shame that this was clipped because you could just tell that they had a great match before it started and they had a great set up. Oh well, the 10 minutes that this was on was outstanding. Kobashi just trying to fight against Jumbo’s offence, not staying down after high knee after high knee. Great storytelling and the fans brought into it with chants of Kobashi that would be prevalent for the next 20 years. If I looked at the 10 minutes as a vacuum, this would be borderline MOTYC imo.

The Scorpion vs. Cutie Suzuki (Mask vs. Hair) - JWP, October 19th:
    Ain’t got much of this as I was doing other things at the same time, but I really enjoyed this. I like watching Cutie Suzuki matches so it’s interesting to see her against someone other than the usual names that come up around this era.

The Rockers vs Orient Express - WWF Royal Rumble, January 19th:
    Real interesting match because this didn't really follow the generic “babyface sells for 90% of the match for the heels” formula. The Rockers dominated for a considerable amount of this match. This was very 50/50 which is a breath of fresh air when it comes to tag team matches. The match did have a lull in the body of the match, but the rest of the match very enjoyable. The Rockers did a great job at working the crowd and sending them into a frenzy.

Hulk Hogan vs Sgt Slaughter - WWF at Madison Square Garden, June 3rd:
    Can’t believe I’m saying this but THIS WAS AWESOME. I’m not a Hogan fan by any means by this was a great performance and imo, one of his best matches. The way he just dominated Slaughter with a great intensity. This wasn’t the goofy, american hero that he normally is. He is the pissed off american who wants rid of Slaughter and it showed. Slaughter bumped well, although it was a bit ridiculous with the top rope spot, and sold well. Overall a unexpectedly great match. Heenan was hilarious in this match.
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-15-2018 at 06:52 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Quality wise, it would have been a great Summerslam main event. It's a shockingly great match and a true hidden gem for 1991. However, it did make sense for the WWE not to go for the match for Summerslam. The match didn't draw. WM 7 was already a massive disappointment. On the house show circuit, they weren't drawing good either to the point where the B touring group headlined with Taker vs Warrior was outdrawing the A touring group of Slaughter vs Hogan. With things spiraling out of control for the WWE, I imagine McMahon thought his safest bet to salvage Summerslam was putting Warrior and Hogan together. In theory, it makes sense, but as things turn out, that didn't exactly work out. In hindsight, I don't know why they didn't try beefing up the heel side. A handicap match with Hogan/Warrior vs Slaughter/Taker/Roberts may have drawn better.
    I would have agreed with this better if they would have had a different actual main event away from the Hogan/Slaughter feud. No problem with putting someone else there besides Slaughter, but if the options are this and the handicap match, I think this would have been the better option. (And actually they had been slow burning Taker & Hogan throughout the last few months and besides him & Slaughter there weren't many options at the time. I would have loved to see Jake in a main event role. From a promo perspective he might be US MVP in '91.)

Quote Originally Posted by Shock
    I love the Desert Storm match, probably my second favourite Hogan match after the Warrior Wrestlemania VI match. Slaughter is such a fun wrestler to watch, particularly his selling.
    Hogan vs. Backlund in 1980 was a hell of a match too & UW was an unforgettable spectacle. Maybe there'll even be another Hogan match on my list too. Regardless Desert Storm is definitely up there. Slaughter doesn't get nearly enough props as a worker. He was great pre-WWF and showed he could still rock it.

-

@MC: Surprised you didn't like the Sting match even at all. I'm not gonna praise him as the best worker and have argued against him for HOF before but I thought him & Foley had great chemistry and brought the best out of each other. At least you liked the Nestea Plunge. I thought it was incredibly well worked but something like the Joshi tag was more exciting. My only problem with it was Kyoko just being too green and being too ambitious. Also glad you liked Slaughter/Hogan. Slaughter was awesome and I'll never put over Hogan as a businessmen or ethical guy, but in-ring he could have been good, but played to WWF fans who didn't know any better and wanted a superman.
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Next batch, featuring arguably my personal favorite of the year!

30. Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW World Tag Titles & All Asia Tag Titles) - AJPW Summer Action Series II, September 4th

This was a weird match for at least half of it with the drama being Kawada ONCE AGAIN having to withstand a 1 on 2 disadvantage in a tag match in 1991, this time with Misawa getting wrapped up. Of note it really felt like Taue was really elevated as a true heel to the fans. At times Jumbo still retained popularity but Taue was getting straight boos. Kawada was valiant as always holding off the Jumbo Army on his own but things pick up and build to something special when Misawa rushes in and has a superhuman run with the shoulder that's been injured for months. The young boys rushed the tape & it quickly unraveled when it was time to bop. Jumbo must have been hanging out with a Fuchi too much because when Misawa scores a nearfall he broke it up with a stomp right to the shoulder. Of course it comes down to Jumbo & Misawa and the finish is something that ranks up there as a moment of the year candidate and I won't spoil it here but AJPW had some tricks up their sleeves booking-wise and really it was just brilliant and the crowd went nuts. The tag division was definitely on fire and the feud of the year is still super hot over a year. Great job, Baba.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXV59rooHY or http://theditch.biz/chron.html

-

29. Kiyoshi Tamura vs Yoji Anjo - UWFi Moving On II, July 3rd

Tamura has still yet to have 10 matches. Somehow still arguably the most talented wrestler in the world. Anjo was in the midst of a big push as Takada's partner & right hand man with much more experience than Tamura, as well as a reputation for being a bully and an overconfident one at that. (as we would see 3 years later with during him flying to America with a bunch of Japanese press to prove he could heat up non-Japanese fighters, storming Rickson Gracie, getting destroyed and in a roundabout way starting PRIDE.) He also came out to a Rick Springfield song. This match shows how Tamura was so talented selling, but in a way that you knew he'd eventually get his. I loved a spot where he did pop off and Anjo had a great way of selling where he was hurting but also that he couldn't believe Tamura would dare hit him that hard. Tamura largely played defense here but made it exciting with his sprawling, his shiftiness, his counters, from a micro level this was one of the best performances of the year and the crowd was behind him big to this point and you knew he was a surefire star. Anjo played a great role and despite his reputation as a dirty asshole, he worked really well with Tamura and even after the match, he gave Tamura a look of respect after the match which was huge. Excellent technical wrestling, great, stiff, strikes, and a great overall match that's quite accessible too. Give UWF-i a shot.

Available: http://theditch.us/090s.html

-

28. Los Brazos (El Brazo, Brazo de Oro, & Brazo de Plata) vs. Los Infernales (MS-1, Pirata Morgan & Satanico) (CMLL World Trios Championships) - CMLL Super Viernes, November 22nd

The Brazos were a Trio more focused on comedy than pure quality sometimes and if you know Dylan, you know he is a wrestling purist in his heart. (Unless he watches terrible wrestling to laugh at like WOW or Great American Bash 2000) So The Brazos, particularly Brazo de Plata will not rank super high on my all time favorite Luchadores list. That said, 1991 was a huge year for the brothers and this was a complete match and a great one at that. Sometimes 2/3 Falls get criticized for only the 3rd fall mattering but every nearfall in this match mattered to the fans and the finish to the Primera was the highlight for me. This had everything and everyone except Porky looked great to elevate this as a Lucha Trios of the Year candidate. Of course they did try to add some comedy with Porky and it builds to him hitting two big dives. Satánico looked the best to me as he kept up his 1990 WOTYC form but all of the Rudos stood out, although I give a slight edge to a couple of other standouts, this was great stuff.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PH0yjB1OgTk

-

27. Los Ninja Turtles & Robin Hood vs Los Temerarios (Shu El Guerrero, Jose Luis Feliciano, El Texano, Black Terry & Ricky Boy) - Hamada's UWF, September 10th

This is one of those hyper obscure matches that make doing these so great. Because when it comes to WOTY candidates who thinks: Jumbo...Misawa...Robin Hood!? Fun note considering the prior match, Robin Hood was in fact another Brazos brother! He was originally trained by Brazo de Oro and wrestled as the legendary character before getting the more traditional name of Brazo Cibernetico. We have the original faction of Tortugas Ninja teaming with the cult hero who in fact was feuding with the opponents in CMLL af the time, an actually pretty great team of rudos known as Los Temerarios including Texano Jr.'s dad & Black Terry, an amazing rudo brawler to this day, along with Shu el Guerrero, a lesser known player but solid third man and good hand that actually took Robin Hood's mask in CMLL in 1990. But this was a showcase for the heroes, which appeared to be Lesser, Pantera, & the original US Turtle, Memphis' Kowabunga, Chris Champion! There was everything you want in a high level Lucha match in 1991, great dive train, comedy spots, but Robin Hood stands out above the rest, not just for his amazing offensive ability, but he took some huge bumps, even in his nether regions. The rudo beatdown wasn't fantastic & I was waiting for the 3rd fall, when things got awesome again. They went wild and in the end Robin Hood steals from the rich, and takes home his winnings to Maid Marian. This match-up which seems right at home in a Persona game provided one of the most fun Lucha spectacles of the year.

Down note but Robin Hood passed away in 1999 at the young age of 33 due to what was said to be an acute infection, though it's disputed by many. He was one of the main trainers for AAA before his death at one point and a hell of a Luchador. Much like the man he portrayed, he was a legend. His son wrestles in CMLL today as simply Robin and is working his way to being a talent in his own right.

Available: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUICDpdU6hw - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_IRFigrAhU&t=353s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdJie7ppk0&t=546s

-

26. Akira Hokuto vs Bull Nakano (WWWA World Championship) - AJW TV, January 4th

Bull Nakano: What I wish Brock Lesnar was like. As I said in the 1990 thread, there were changes in every major company at the top of the card, Bull gave a HARD no to any kind of changes at the top in Zenjo. So in between taking care of Aja in the cage a month prior and taking her hair a week after this match, she had another Red Belt title defense, against Miss Victory Through Guts, Akira Hokuto. Hokuto's in the middle of her excellent feud with Toyota (Check 1990 thread for more on that) and after 5 monthsgets her shot at the big belt in Zenjo. She knows even for someone as much of a badass as she is, Bull's no normal opponent, she's gonna have to go all out to even have a chance against this monster. Within the first minute there isn't just a sense of urgency, there's a sense of desperation from Hokuto. She hits multiple big moves but it doesn't do much actual damage and then she keeps trying to go for some quick pins, but after that doesn't work it's time for Bull to take over and that means pain for Hokuto. Hokuto had a great performance selling here and despite the size difference they told a great story of Hokuto's grit being on another level and evening the odds against this destructive force that rules this world of AJW. Bull had terrifying physical charisma & it led to her having to break out her more high risk manuevers like the Leg Drop & Springboard Enziguri just made things seem even more impossible. But Hokuto doesn't know those words, she had to be one of the best performers in wrestling I've ever seen and it came across in this match. She picked her spots and put herself on the line to deliver four consecutive Missle Dropkicks to get a tremendous nearfall. But it wasn't to be. Bull gets her own nearfall with an absolutely incredible Tombstone on Hokuto from the middle rope! Spot of the year candidate and continues the run of Bull doing something amazing once per match. It wasn't total destruction like normal for Bull, and Hokuto fought to the very end, but after Hokuto misses the big Roundhouse Kick and Bull pulls her in for the Backdrop Hold for the win. Two of Joshi's finest but I thought Hokuto was what elevated this to the next level. Bull sold vulnerability well while still maintaining her aura. Must-Watch.

In a truly amazing piece of trivia, this was the Hokuto's first and LAST Red Belt title shot.

Available: http://www.veoh.com/watch/v172290227rxFdKn4

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue vs. Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada - AJPW Summer Action Series II, September 4th:
    Great continuation from Misawa/Jumbo’s feud from last year. That ending was great with Misawa getting the submission over Jumbo to a thunderous reaction from the crowd. Kawada being left alone for large portions of the match due to Misawa’s injury was a nice touch, allows Kawada to show of his selling abilities and get heat and Misawa gets sympathy for the injury, allowing him to get the reaction he got at the end whilst Taue and Jumbo look cleaver and very dominate. Good tag team match. It may not be the best tag match of the 90’s (for All Japan anyway) but it’s a smartly worked match.

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Yoji Anjo - UWFi Moving On II, July 3rd:
    Love the Anjo/Rickson Gracie story. Always a good one to tell people, even if they aren’t wrestling fans. Anyway, another great Tamura match. Some good striking which I always like to see and some good grappling as well.

Los Brazos (El Brazo, Brazo de Oro, & Brazo de Plata) vs. Los Infernales (MS-1, Pirata Morgan & Satánico) - CMLL Super Viernes, November 22nd:
    This was a fun match up. I’ve only heard of Satánico and Pirata Morgan but it wasn’t a problem.

Los Ninja Turtles & Robin Hood vs Los Temerarios (Shu El Guerrero, Jose Luis Feliciano, El Texano, Black Terry & Ricky Boy) - UWF, September 10th:
    Weird match but I liked it. Lots of fun. Some good wrestling as well.

Akira Hokuto vs Bull Nakano - AJW TV, January 4th:
    Very good match. Very even for the most part. Both sold each others offence really well, especially Bull for some her size. They put each other well as big stars and some who you don’t want to mess with. Some great near falls in the end for Hokuto that I really bought in to which is very typical of all Hokuto matches. The ability to suck you in is a very special one and Hokuto has that down pat.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Hey people, I'm back with this.

25. Naoki Sano vs Minoru Suzuki - PWFG All for One and One for All, July 26th

Sano makes the list for a second year straight year after his great matches with Liger (and he would have made it in '89 too). Suzuki's still young and it weird seeing him as the same person as the crazy Minoru Suzuki of today. They work very hard and show a lot of creative techniques, and the charisma between the two was huge. But honestly, unlike those awesome Tamura UWF-i matches which I thought were phenomenal and anyone could enjoy, this is something you might want to avoid if you think shoot style is boring as a rule, the length is long and grappling takes center stage. THAT SAID, Suzuki does break out some pro wrestling with a dropkick and a legit piledriver which had the crowd worked up. Suzuki to me brought more energy & did a great job wearing Sano down & gassing him out for the last 10 minutes. Still, I didn't really like the finish as Suzuki had been building to finally getting his armbar, and then what do we see for the finishing run? A leglock battle. Still, high quality stuff & it's nice to get a different look at Suzuki. Would give him vs. Nakano from 1990 a bit of an edge though. Love the striking here, especially the palm thrusts. Say what you want about Shoot, but when these two wanted to throw down, they hit hard and made it exciting.

Available: http://theditch.us/090s.html

24. The Scorpion vs. Cutie Suzuki - JWP Climax, August 30th

Now to the actual best Suzuki in wrestling, and we go back to her feud with The Scorpion. Read my previous entry for #34 for the sequel to this, although I do prefer watching this first for chronology's sake.

This was different than the October match (a testament to the October match), and showed just how great Scorpion was. Sadly with her short lived run & lack of making tape she might be legit to the definition, one of the most underrated talents in wrestling history. Cutie worked harder than you'd ever expect if you were superficial. Combined you can tell the difference between the JWP & Zenjo styles and it was great that at the time you had these two different companies. I loved the contrast of styles between these two as well with Scorpion using her Lucha style & Cutie just trying to tear Scorpion's arm off. Great work and I thought the overall work of this was slightly better than October although October had more emotions & stakes. As a match, I give this the edge. Great emotion from Cutie in the post match too, but for sure a great match.

Available: www.dailymotion.com/video/xmeoz8

23. Bull Nakano vs. Kyoko Inoue (WWWA Title) - AJW September 7th

Sadly another one lost to the sands of time, just know Bull did a cartwheel in this, continuing her average of doing something insanely awesome at least one time in all of her matches. Also Kyoko was having a terrible year to this point & had a great finish. It was a real turning point for her entire career as she would go on to become a pretty big legend in her own right. None shall pass Bull Nakano.

22. Masahiro Chono vs Shinya Hashimoto (G1 Climax) - NJPW August 9th

Masahiro Chono is one of the bigger "what if?" stories in wrestling as we saw in his G1 run & pretty much any time before his injury, he looked borderline world class. Look no further than this match against the acclaimed Hashimoto where I thought Chono outshone him pretty handidly & that's saying something considering how great Hashimoto was here. Despite after his injury becoming one of the top heels in Japanese wrestling I would like a peer into the alternate universe of top babyface Chono leading NJPW against UWF-i & into the 2000s. Interesting that the matwork & submission was the base of a match with Hashimoto who was also underrated technically despite his (well deserved) rep being that of a heavy hitter, which he definitely showed off here as well, delivering some blistering kicks into Chono that will make you wince as well if you can watch. The finish I thought was extremely well done and set up not just a great finish to the tournament, but also had me salivating at the future of this rivalry. Predictably great performance by Hashimoto, amazing work from Chono who both has me hyped & dreading his future.

21. Trio Fantasia (Super Muñeco, Super Raton, & Pinochio) vs. Los Thundercats (Panthro, Leono, & Tigro) (Luchas de Apuestas) -
    Monterrey, December 8th

Thunder-thunder-thunder-thunder-cats~ Another of the zany Lucha matches this time delves into more obscure territory with one of my childhood favorites, The Thundercats. They have a real life dream match against Mickey Mouse and his crew, Pinochio & I don't even know who Super Doll was supposed to be but I'm sure he's a great partner. So yeah...this was a very very bloody brawl. I mean like Rush/LA Park times ten also there were some crazy stuff in the tercera, and also IT'S THE THUNDERCATS KILLING MICKEY MOUSE. I'm not even sure how to feel about this now, I think this lacked the pure fun of Robin Hood and that Trios match but had a lot more violence & pure drama. There's a certain level of weirdness with the hug at the end but man...I thought this freaking ruled. You definitely should give it a chance.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwsIirQpew

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Naoki Sano vs Minoru Suzuki - PWFG All for One and One for All, July 26th:
    Never really watched anything from PWFG, just RINGS and UWF-i. Thought the grappling looked tight and I thought there was a good range of submissions from simple to incredibly intricate holds. Great atmosphere too. The setting was very shooty but with a mix of traditional wrestling as well. Of course, The striking was stiff and out right gnarly at times. Particularly the palm strikes.

The Scorpion vs. Cutie Suzuki - JWP Climax, August 30th:
    Good match. I think I prefer the October match more. Did like Cutie Suzuki's attack on the arm.

Also, I object to any implication that Chono wasn’t awesome after his neck injury btw.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I'm back again, hoping to wrap up the top 15 in the next week or two now that I have a bit of time.

20. Naoki Sano vs Wayne Shamrock - PWFG Hataage Dainissen 2 - May 16th

Who would believe that of these two Sano would be the one that is still wrestling (sporadically in 2018. This match is often incorrectly labeled as May 19th, no doubt due to some tape trader's love of cheesy Kane angles. Now I may have to call myself out a bit here, because Shamrock was a childhood favorite of mine & my dad's at the time & getting this look at him was kind of crazy for me the first time I saw this, I always thought a Shamrock run on top of WWF would have been intriguing & here we have this, so basically I might be a tad biased. That said, there's legit reasons I like this better than the Sano/Suzuki match & think it's legitimately great. Of the 3 (Sano/Suzuki/Shamrock) I thought Shamrock was clearly the best mat worker, having an extra crispness and pop to his ground game, which honestly helped carry this match through the ground parts as Sano was much less impressive, primarily relying upon ankle picks. When things got heated though man oh man did Sano bring it, which leads to the second point of why this is ranked so high, which is the finish which is a blend of shoot & pro style I think anybody can enjoy which saw everything from a DDT to a shoot Dragon Suplex busted out and the finish is something that's cool enough to work for any NJPW wrestler in 2018 as a finish. Highly satisfying finish, in a banger. If you're not a shoot style fan would recommend skipping to the 20 minute mark & just watching a superb last few minutes. Defo a must see for shoot appreciation night.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOW1HiGylO0

-

19. Hulk Hogan vs. Genichiro Tenryu - SWS Superwrestle in Tokyo Dome - December 12th

I wait so long & end up coming back with more Hogan!? Nuts. But much like Desert Storm this shows that Hogan could have been really good as a "pure" wrestler in an alternate universe without Hulkamania. The first time I saw the opening part of this match it was mind blowing for me at what he does but even today was awesome. Even more impressive is when Tenryu was offensive which really picked things up not just because even if he was good, he was still Hogan and he wasn't going to outwork Tenryu even at a pretty low point in his career ring-wise in SWS, but also Hogan put in a great performance working from under. Tenryu blasted Hogan at various points, and it culminated with Hogan, calling back to the early mat exchanges and Tenryu's offense blows his knee out on a high knee attempt. It all leads to the finishing run where they do what could be looked at as a 1991 version of an Omega/Okada match with more in-match buildup to it, with all sorts of finisher kickouts, and to finally chop down the tree, a few of the same strike which was massive to finally get the win. Of note, never mind Hogan doing an Enziguri (~!), it's so interesting to note the difference in crowd reaction to the Leg Drop & the Axe Bomber. In general I feel like SWS was a pretty big dropped ball in the grand scheme of things, similar to Big Mouth Loud In that they had money and potential, but still was terribly booked and mismanaged. This might be the greatest match in company history.

As an aside, I wonder what would have happened if when Hogan came to WCW, instead of ruining everything and turning everything into a WWF retread, we saw a more Japan-Hogan style of a run. I feel like if we saw a lot of the guy who faced Tenryu, with occasionally some of the guy who faced Slaughter he could have had a hell of a pre-NWO WCW run. Worst case scenario we might wind up with something better than Beefcake main eventing a Starrcade but it's WCW so it's safe to say it would have all went to hell somehow. Two legit great & vastly different matches for an otherwise goof in 1991. Good stuff.

Watch: theditch.us or https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1jzx5

-

18. Mitsuharu Misawa, Toshiaki Kawada & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi vs Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Masa Fuchi - AJPW October Giant Series - October 15th

I think at this point even if you've perused my threads at all & see these 6 names, you know you're getting some pretty great stuff. And yet even at the end of the year, a year and a half in to this feud they were still doing new things. This match was a complete heel performance from the Tsuruta-gun team and also rather one sided. The tone is set early on with Fuchi pissed and trash talks Misawa, calling him fragile over his broken nose, which sets off a brawl & Misawa falls out for what turns out to be the majority of the match (although with a classic moment near the end) and this leads to this becoming essentially a 2-on-3 handicap match and that goes about as well as you would expect for Kawada & Kikuchi...this was a complete ass whoopin' as they would say. It's hard to really call a standout in this with so many great performances, but I thought Kikuchi was phenomenal in his hot tag, especially compared to Kawada who was good but didn't stand out as much outside of an exchange with Fuchi where Fuchi continues his awesomeness by flipping off Kawada. Fuchi was the biggest jerk of his team for sure, but I thought there was a certain electricity when Jumbo was in that was hard to replicate. There was heat from all sides, great singular moments and a definitive satisfying finish, and on top of it played into a larger story which ironically considering this match's performance, was to elevate Kawada. We were 5 days away from a match where Misawa would have to sit in the crowd & watch as Kobashi would replace him and lose, and a few days after that of Kawada's biggest singles match of his career going one on one with Jumbo. Fantastic chapter in the best rivalry of all time.

Watch: theditch.biz

-

17. Akira Hokuto vs. Suzuka Minami (All Pacific Championship/White Belt) - AJW WWWA Champions Legend - April 29th

I think the match quality on this list takes a big jump up from this match on. Longtime tag partners go at it, as the Marine Wolves face off for Minami's White Belt. There's tons of story involved in this if you followed what I wrote about 1990, as it was Minami, not Hokuto who was able to dethrone Hokuto's hated rival Manami Toyota in January, and now for all intents & purposes the star of team is fighting her sidekick for the title. The match again focuses on Hokuto's injured leg after some inspired matwork & technical wrestling in which I thought was very well done for someone not as renowned as Minami. I love the pace of this match which built so well with matwork leading into the heat on Hokuto & then when it came time for the big moves to come out, the moves were put over as big deals, for example with Hokuto rolling out of the ring and taking the whole time selling and giving her a reason to come back. There's also the underlying narrative that if Minami would hit 5th gear and execute her friend's leg like Toyota did she could beat her, but she hesitates & it leads to a totally believable climax and I LOVED the finishing stretch which saw the entire ring utilized in what I can only call pro wrestling's version of a Limit Break combo attack. Even the post match is really well done with the loser being taken to the back before we can see any kind of hug or bitterness, leaving us to question where the Marine Wolves would go. ...excellent match with both women showing a ton of skill, both physically & mentally. Highly enjoyed this.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKM33l6MWw4

-

16. Toshiaki Kawada vs Akira Taue - AJPW New Year Giant Series, January 15th

A much much MUCH different style than you'd expect from these two, with this seeming something that would be in a version of Puerto Rico than AJPW of all places. I loved everything about this but the element that encapsulates this most is how real this comes across and how believable this is. If Switchblade Jay White & Okada for example had this exact same blood feud style of war at Wrestle Kingdom first of all it wouldn't be nearly as violent or as good, but more importantly it wouldn't stand out nearly as much as this because shenanigans & weaponry have been prostituted so much. In the world of 1991 All Japan when someone picks up a chair it damn sure means something. And when you take into account this fresh rivalry with the two #2 guys of their respective factions, it adds so much in the context of this feud which would play out over the next 2 years and there's so much passion for these two to prove they DO belong in the main events & THEY are good enough to team with the Ace of the company. There's a level of pure violence not seen in AJPW main events that for example leads to Taue bleeding buckets after Kawada smashing the crap out of Taue's face on the guardrail over & over, brutal stuff. It doesn't go long but the action is HOT & the finish solidified a classic finisher for good! I can't imagine any wrestling fan not enjoying this on some level.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqBgL1ATllE

Status

I looked into Hogan vs. Tenryu because as you mentioned it is always interesting to see Hogan in Japan matches where he works a little more stiff and tends to mix things up more. The arm bar to start things off and the enziguri are both pretty wild to see Hogan doing.

Having said that they both were still pretty sloppy throughout. Both guys but of course Hogan more than Tenryu are just so... I don't know... clunky? There's no fluidity, little selling of the submissions and nothing particularly noteworthy occurs because anyone other than Hogan or some other dog shit wrestler doing an arm bar or enziguri wouldn't really stand out. If this truly is the 19th best match of 1991 (I wouldn't know) that doesn't make this year sound really stacked. Then again if I had to choose the 19th best match of those I've watched this year, it probably wouldn't be real great either.

So in summation it's worth a watch for those Hogan moments but eh... probably a stretch to say Hogan could have been a good scientific worker in any universe.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I looked into Hogan vs. Tenryu because as you mentioned it is always interesting to see Hogan in Japan matches where he works a little more stiff and tends to mix things up more. The arm bar to start things off and the enziguri are both pretty wild to see Hogan doing.

Having said that they both were still pretty sloppy throughout. Both guys but of course Hogan more than Tenryu are just so... I don't know... clunky? There's no fluidity, little selling of the submissions and nothing particularly noteworthy occurs because anyone other than Hogan or some other dog shit wrestler doing an arm bar or enziguri wouldn't really stand out. If this truly is the 19th best match of 1991 (I wouldn't know) that doesn't make this year sound really stacked. Then again if I had to choose the 19th best match of those I've watched this year, it probably wouldn't be real great either.

So in summation it's worth a watch for those Hogan moments but eh... probably a stretch to say Hogan could have been a good scientific worker in any universe.
    Totally disagree, I thought Hogan did a really good job selling the leg and one of the biggest spots of the match was him losing it after the knee which is more than a lot of people would even back then. Just look in Ed's thread at that Flair/Hart match. Flair's way of leg selling was to act like his leg hurt and then proceed to just do all of his standard offense like he's Okada and then it just wouldn't matter by the end anyway. Hogan's knee changed the course of the match entirely, and although they worked back to the Leg Drop as anyone would expect, I think saying he didn't sell anything wasn't true in the context of this match.

Tenryu was great on offense. Not sure what you mean by clunky with him, he bopped Hogan on offense a number of times and the crowd was super into him and him putting a hurting on Hogan. I thought he was definitely the better of the two in the ring and the match wouldn't have worked without someone as great as him.

This was better than any Seth Rollins match this year by a far stretch imo. In general would put it in the top 3 of WWE as a whole probably even now.
    Last edited by Zero; 11-11-2018 at 11:21 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Totally disagree, I thought Hogan did a really good job selling the leg and one of the biggest spots of the match was him losing it after the knee which is more than a lot of people would even back then. Just look in Ed's thread at that Flair/Hart match. Flair's way of leg selling was to act like his leg hurt and then proceed to just do all of his standard offense like he's Okada and then it just wouldn't matter by the end anyway. Hogan's knee changed the course of the match entirely, and although they worked back to the Leg Drop as anyone would expect, I think saying he didn't sell anything wasn't true in the context of this match.

Tenryu was great on offense. Not sure what you mean by clunky with him, he bopped Hogan on offense a number of times and the crowd was super into him and him putting a hurting on Hogan. I thought he was definitely the better of the two in the ring and the match wouldn't have worked without someone as great as him.

This was better than any Seth Rollins match this year by a far stretch imo. In general would put it in the top 3 of WWE as a whole probably even now.
    No I will give him credit. When I said selling of the submissions I meant when he was in the submission he looked like he was just chilling. The flying knee and the fact he stuck by the injury is applaudable. As for Tenryu he wasn't bad, but some of the moves like the attempted rolling kick that missed just looked awkward and wildly inaccurate. Basically there was a lack of grace in what they were doing. Points to Hogan for trying but the enziguri was wildly off the mark. You watch wayyyyy more puro than I do, but the match was barely good and far from great in my book. As far as it being better than any Rollins match this year, well I just think that's insane but to each their own.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    No I will give him credit. When I said selling of the submissions I meant when he was in the submission he looked like he was just chilling. The flying knee and the fact he stuck by the injury is applaudable. As for Tenryu he wasn't bad, but some of the moves like the attempted rolling kick that missed just looked awkward and wildly inaccurate. Basically there was a lack of grace in what they were doing. Points to Hogan for trying but the enziguri was wildly off the mark. You watch wayyyyy more puro than I do, but the match was barely good and far from great in my book. As far as it being better than any Rollins match this year, well I just think that's insane but to each their own.
    I really just think this is Hogan and Tenryu we're talking about (history lesson on Tenryu in case you're unfamiliar: He wasn't known for jobbing a lot) and this whole match was a bit of a political foray considering Tenryu was supposed to win before Hogan predictably got the finish changed. These guys were larger than life egos and also in fairness stars, they weren't going to go nuts selling regular submissions unless it was to count and if anything it would have been out of character. Would it have made the match better? Probably, I'm not trying to defend it but it also wasn't anything where I thought it was unrealistic in the world of their characters at the time. That's just me but you saying that is fair too.

Someone like Rollins is miserable to watch to me in general for all sorts of reasons he sucks at in-ring (and on the mic and basically everything he does), but I will give him his due. He's a lot more graceful than someone like Tenryu and especially than Hogan in-ring. There's no denying that and again, I'm not even saying I'm disagreeing or that it's unfair, but this match was borderline great for more basic reasons to me. As I said, I would say things pick up quality-wise in the Hokuto match and if you watched something like that perhaps you would be more impressed, or even the Kawada/Taue match although it was more gritty and violent than maybe you would like? ...there's also more American matches to come too if you just don't care about Japanese wrestling that much.

Status

I respect all of that. I am familiar enough with puro to know about Tenryu and his status in the business. I've seen at least a dozen of his matches too. There are a lot of positives I take away from this match. The story was pretty well laid out and executed, there was a "big fight feel" as Cole would say, Hogan stepped his game up and the crowd were really into it. For me, it just didn't reach that extra gear that I like in a match. That's ultimately going to come down to preference though. Just technically speaking there were only a couple of faults for me which was Hogan not even so much as grimacing while he was in the leg lock and the pretty uninspiring chair shots. All things considered I see why you like it and I honestly enjoyed it. Just wasn't blown away is all. I haven't watched the other matches in this section of the list, only looked into Hogan vs. Tenryu out of curiosity. Like I said it could very well be the 19th best match that happened this year. As for Rollins, he clearly isn't everybody's cup of tea. I recognize the faults he has but his brand of wrestling does appeal to me more. He's crisp, he's intense, and his displays of athleticism are a lot of fun to watch. I can see something like the way he sometimes shakes off knee injuries being offputting to someone more invested in the scientific side of things. Completely understandable. We just have our different tastes it seems. I will take a look at some of these other bouts though. Kawada vs. Taue looks fantastic and the six man certainly seems promising though I may have seen it before. Would have to watch it to remember.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

15. El Hijo del Santo vs. Brazo de Oro (Mask vs. Hair) - UWA - January 13th

A bloody brawl in the vein of the Satánico matches from 1990, with the added bonus of Santo's mask getting turned violently red from all the blood. Brazo de Oro is Super Porky's brother, and long considered by longtime Lucha fans to be the best actual wrestler of the Los Brazos family Trio. Santito is the son of Santo, the most famous wrestler in Méxican history. This match was two men dedicated to their personal styles. Oro stayed as heelish as heelish can be, slowing down the action and keeping the beloved icon grounded, pounding away at Santito and just beating him...and beating him...and beating him...and bloodying him down. It leads to Santo making some big comebacks and the crowd would lose it during all of them. The match was much more fun and exciting whenever Santo was making comebacks but I appreciated it a lot when Oro was on top and controlled the action with violence, which of course was enhanced with the massive blood loss, which obviously was helped by Oro working over Santo over the rails. Simple match well done with a great face in peril and big time crowd heat. I would list this as the best "basic" match of the year with few bells & whistles.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e42TRDeHhFg

-

14. Hijo del Santo vs. Negro Casas - WWA - May 17th

A brilliant technical wrestling clinic between two legendary rivals, with the climax of the match revolving around...low blow spots? I really think if you watch this your mileage will vary upon how much you enjoy & appreciate the precision of submissions applied, inventiveness of said submissions, & the matwork between the two. And yet what in my opinion elevates this match from a great wrestling match to one of the year's best isn't about the wrestling itself, but the charisma of heel Casas and the personality he shows, really makes Santito's high spots pop & bring the maximum effect out of them. Even in this Casas is shown to fluidly shifting from amazingly talented & creative wrestler to being a heel's rudo all throughout this, a perfect example when he transitions from a Spinebuster to his signature move, the Scorpion Deathlock, in between though a low blow too quick for the referee to see. Even further exemplified by after the Primera Santito helping his opponent to his corner during the break, followed by after the Segunda Casas returning the favor...until another low blow! That led to the crowd losing it for the decisive fall, and particularly the climactic spot where turnabout becomes fair play and Santito gets his back. I would have preferred he just won there because the actual finish was kind of lame. But the high level technique, storytelling, & crowd heat had to put this among the top Lucha matches of the year.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94XaNoEJKNk

13. Vader vs. Keiji Muto - NJPW G1 Climax - August 10th

We revisit the first ever G1 Climax & the first non-Hashimoto match of the countdown from the tournament. I think this match is really interesting because it made me think these two basically set the tone for later highly revered Vader/Sting matches in this right here. Of course this would basically be a power vs. speed/David vs. Goliath match, but the way Muto worked it was seemingly to directly defy that narrative and make sure he's on Vader's level through his enegy & hard work, even down to the finishing run where he has what could be seen as a cringe-worthy wake of no-selling to get through his usual offense, but in this context I think it's worthy of somewhat of a pass, although the fact that it's Muto & he's always like that makes me like it less, but it still didn't take away from how good this all was. Particularly when Vader was on offense he REALLY laid it in on Muto, stiffing him all over the place & laying his ass out with a jaw dropping counter to Muto's signature Handspring Back Elbow. I think comparing Muto to Sting the difference was Sting was just that much smoother & better at selling than Muto was, and we saw Muto not quite pull off all of his flash pin attempts at the end, but I really think it totally worked even still. In particular it protected Vader and made perfect sense after not being able to beat Vader in a big moves kind of match, Muto's edge was to do things Vader couldn't, wearing him down in a different way before finally unlocking the combination and calling back to Vader/Fujinami earlier in the tournament, to the delight of Sumo Hall, who tossed seat cushions around in joy, setting the stage for the Final run of the next chosen Ace of the company. Although it makes one wonder...how could they let a match like THIS go untaped!?

Watch: theditch.us or https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2saq7a

-

12. Toshiaki Kawada vs. Jumbo Tsuruta (Triple Crown) - AJPW Giant
    October Series - October 24th

Of note right away is Kawada entering to his original singles theme, which has to lead to one of the all time greatest theme upgrades with Holy War 21. What I both love about this & think really entrenches it as a hidden gem is just how different they wrestle this than what you would expect. This wasn't the Kawada of 1994 & this wasn't the AJPW of 1994 and Jumbo buttered his bread on the little things, so don't expect a typical bombfest, this was a thinking man's match, with the purpose of making every inch Kawada gained against an opponent who was on a different level than him important. Kawada smartly focuses on Jumbo's head with headlocks early, hoping to set up his major weapons such as his head kicks, Leg Lariat, & Powerbomb. Jumbo surprisingly works from under for much of this match and as anyone could guess, he sold it brilliantly throughout, with the moment of the match being right when Kawada looks for the Powerbomb and Jumbo counters it to save himself, but Kawada unexpectedly tries to turn things into a Piledriver and Jumbo wasn't having any of that, freaking out and it definitely feels like at that point Jumbo decides "enough playing around, you're dead, buddy.". And in '91 Kawada just simply wasn't going to hit bigger moves than Jumbo, which sets up a killer finishing move from the big man. Afterwards Jumbo seems like a guy who never really got taken to the brink outside of a brief moment & he quickly got it back under control, but that moment was enough to let him know Kawada was for real & would be a problem sooner rather than later. Unfortunately like a lot of Jumbo right now it feels like there was a next chapter between these two that never got written. This might be the last truly great Jumbo singles match.

Watch: theditch.biz or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEkQdJ1jqdk

-

11. Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (Triple Crown) - AJPW Champion Carnival Tour - April 18th

The magic continues between these two and just two days after beating Stan Hansen in the Champion Carnival final, he faces his greatest rival in the deciding third match after each man picking up a win over the other in their first two matches, with this being their first and in fact only match with the Triple Crown on the line. I feel like I've written a ton about this feud already but this was the logical next step of their rivalry with Misawa getting closer & closer to being Jumbo's equal and getting a definitive win and we would see that come into play during the closing stretch which was absolutely fantastic. But I just want to take a second to talk about how freaking awesome Jumbo was AGAIN here. A perfect example of how he's on a different level than everyone else, was during Misawa's double wristlock portion of the match. One of the most basic moves in wrestling. And most wrestlers you can guarantee would flail & yell & go nuts in a way that would make non-fans roll their eyes, but Jumbo calmly took a deep breath before rallying & letting what action he did take do the talking. And the crowd was super hyped for this match no matter what. But just the little things Jumbo did, that with the wristlocks, the twitch after a DDT, his sneer whenever the crowd would rally behind Misawa. They were what made him the greatest, even moreso than again, when things hit that last gear it got as great as you would want it to be, with it becoming almost a clash of the Titans scenario with Misawa tasting that Triple Crown gold, and the want, the passion of the fans and Misawa shone through. That said when the inevitable occurred & Dad put his son to bed, it was still done in a way that put over both men.

It's almost a shame a match this good came from these two at this time because it's almost impossible to not compare it to their two 1990 matches and it was always going to come up short, and it simply isn't as great as those two. But it was still a great match on its own merits. And the fact it's less famous than the first two makes it a bit of a hidden gem! I loved it a lot.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAWXtWPl5eE or theditch.biz

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Love the Jumbo match with Misawa, though I'd say it's only their third best match . Can't remember the Kawada Vs Jumbo match but it sounds amazing so may have to (re?)watch it.

You make a great point about Jumbo standing out just through sheer presence. He doesn't need to react like Hulk Hogan to get the fans invested. I feel it's a praise you can give to Misawa during his run as the company ace.

If it's the match I'm thinking of, the six man ajpw match from October would be my moty for 1991. Then again there's so many of them it's hard to remember which one I liked most without rewatching them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Love the Jumbo match with Misawa, though I'd say it's only their third best match.
    Like I said it's almost impossible to not talk about this in comparison to their 1990 singles matches & I firmly agree this 1991 version was a level below them. But if this were basically anybody else's best career match it'd be considered a legendary match in their feud but because it's overshadowed it's slept on quite a bit. Would obviously rec Jumbo/Kawada too. Kawada/Jumbo later on when Kawada was at his peak would have been something else. Kawada was the one of the Four Pillars that resonated with me the most as a wrestler and I wish we could have gotten it.

You make a great point about Jumbo standing out just through sheer presence. He doesn't need to react like Hulk Hogan to get the fans invested. I feel it's a praise you can give to Misawa during his run as the company ace.
    I think there were definitely some similarities between the two with obviously Misawa being his successor. I do think Jumbo was much more consistent of making everything count even during his less loud segments whereas Misawa was more just robotic sometimes. Perfect example in that match with Jumbo taking the deep breaths. Misawa would have gotten out stoically. There's also no way Misawa could have pulled off straight up heel work as good as Jumbo does the last half of '91 (more on that in a bit...) Misawa brings new offense and symbolizes the new generation of AJPW and was the perfect next step, although some would argue his style went too far.

If it's the match I'm thinking of, the six man ajpw match from October would be my moty for 1991. Then again there's so many of them it's hard to remember which one I liked most without rewatching them.
    This was unique for the feud because Misawa was on the outside a majority of it selling. It was great stuff, that's for sure. There are so many to pick from as the best it's nuts.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Misawa is one of the few wrestlers that I find works so well because he is robotic and doesn't show emotions often. He's the calmest guy in the room even when he's got ultra aggressive or emotional opponents like Kawada and Kobashi to deal with. It's what makes him such a superb ace (plus the fact he's literally the best wrestler ever helps too).

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

10. The Ultimate Warrior vs. "Macho King" Randy Savage (w/Queen Sherri) (Career vs. Career) - WrestleMania VII - March 24th

The match I bet many of you have been waiting for and where, maybe even if I would rank it. But your fears were unfounded because this in my opinion is the absolute epitome of a sports entertainment match working out. This feud had been going on for months but really turned up when Savage cost Warrior the WWF Title at the Royal Rumble and an all time great angle with the light fixture shot. In general since we left off in 1990, our reigning Andre the Giant Panda award winner has seemingly had to face WWF's completely stupid attempts to humanize this lunatic with stunts like him fighting Phil Collins and Amanda Ultimate Warrior, and it culminated here with this "Career Ending Match" as it was called multiple times. The tone's set right away with Warrior walking out to the ring rather than his usual crazy run out. For Mach the focus was on Elizabeth in the crowd watching on as Brain says she's here to watch Savage lose. Now this is basically completely unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but I feel looking at this match as a match itself it bears mentioning that some of Warrior's offense, particularly his punches looked putrid here. I know I'm not exactly breaking news here, but Savage deserves a ton or credit for keeping the ship steady early on. Warrior though to his credit gets stronger as the match goes along, putting in a pretty damn good performance in his own right, with his part really picking up later on after kicking out of 5 straight Macho Elbow Drops and then Savage famously kicking out of Warrior's Press Slam combo. Warrior looks to the...gods & questions himself. Now as dumb as you might think this sounds on paper, it actually was really well done. And I mentioned earlier about trying to humanize the Warrior & I would say this did a heck of a lot better job than that crap in 1990 did. There were many great moments in this match with Savage putting things together, calling back to a certain match 4 years prior with draping Warrior's throat on the guardrail which was absolutely brilliant, and Sherri put in one of the all time best managerial performances, fighting to keep her reign as Queen alive too. It's all for naught though as Warrior steamrolls through Savage in the end, pinning him with one foot on Savage's chest in a highly unselfish move by the Macho King. Warrior's career is saved! For 5 months anyway until he was fired for the first time.

The post-match was one of the greatest segments in the history of wrestling in my opinion, in which Elizabeth saves Macho from a pissed off Sherri and the Macho Man & Elizabeth are back! The hug between Savage & Elizabeth is one of the all time feel good moments in wrestling & to me the legacy of this whole thing. I have to say though, I do think the future has a slight tarnish to this all. Watching this now & seeing people crying, makes me see how powerful & amazing happy endings are in life, not just wrestling. Because this whole match & segment transcended all that. But...it wasn't a happy ending. The story of Randy & Liz was a tragedy, and it's somewhat poetic the pain & happiness seeing this all these years later brought me, especially for someone desperate for a happy ending of my own...will any of us get that?

Regardless, one of the finest moments in the WrestleMania history and an unforgettable match between Savage & Warrior and more than worthy of a top 10 finish.

Watch: The WWE Network or https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjsmjc

-

9. Ric Flair, Barry Windham, Larry Zbyszko & Sid Vicious vs. Sting, Brian Pillman, Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner (War Games) - WCW Wrestle War - February 24th

I promise this wasn't on purpose, but as we near NXT's attempt at War Games, we get to the part of the countdown where we have one of the all-time classic versions of the match style. The setup to this was a lot more in depth than NXT's version, with everyone having a noted role in the storyline & match (except Zbyszko, who replaced Arn Anderson due to injury at the last second). This was setup by a month of war analogies from both teams which at times came across as goofy & at times had guys (particularly Pillman & Arn) spouting gold, such as Arn promising to make the American Red Cross a Fortune 500 company. Also a side story was El Gigante wanting a World Title shot against Flair, with a few notable Horsemen beatdowns along the way including one just one night prior where Pillman got his ass kicked. Lo (Shirai) & behold it plays right into this as he rushes the ring like a madman, ignoring Sting & the other faces as they were talking strategy, Pillman wanted blood. And it led to possibly one of the most satisfying opening 5 minutes of any wrestling match. After an intentional low blow, Pillman beats the hell out of Windham , busting him open with the cage and at one point using the notoriously low roof of the cage as leverage to aid in a Hurricanrana. I loved the mix of pure violence along with his athletic ability here and when you see guys like Kalisto or Jeff Hardy do this sort of thing it just comes across as "just because", and this came across as Pillman using every advantage to hurt Windham. After 5, we have the coin toss which the Horsemen won, and it saw the champ having to come in early & shut down Pillman, who had Windham's blood around his mouth by that point. After teaming up with Windham to drill Pillman into the cage shoulder first Flair gets awesome walking around & giving the faces a hip thrust which had to be an ad-lib. Sting was phenomenal here and as soon as his number was called the match took a big step up to where it's a legit MOTYC, bringing the pain to everyone, including flying across both rings to take Larry Z out right away! As the match goes on the Flair & Sting interactions continue to be amazing and really carry the middle part after Pillman & Windham stole the show early on. The Steiners were great in their role and brought great energy in both of their own debuts in the match, hitting Suplexes & Steinerlines all around. Sadly there's a big weak link, and sometimes when you screw up so bad while surrounded by diamonds you too can become infamous and that's what happened to Sid here. Even before the most notable moment of this whole match where he nearly kills a guy. he was calling his spots all over the place to an almost hilarious degree here, at one point loudly yelling before the awesome Lucha-esque quadruple Figure Four spot and took some awkward bumps from the Steiners. And of course the finish. Oh the finish. Bedlam is going on & Sid looks for the Powerbomb on Pillman, and because the cage was so low (noticeable right away to normal people particularly when Pillman bumps his head on the roof of the cage early on, but I guess Sid forgot) Pillman bumps himself against the top of the cage & Sid dumps him on his neck in a legitimately scary botch. And to add insult to injury Sid gives him another Powerbomb just to seemingly attempt to put him out of his misery for no reason. El Gigante comes out and calls for the match to end, which Nick Patrick agrees with and the Horsemen stand victorious. Bloody, but victorious.

This is the best performance in Pillman's career for my money and was just a ton of fun, with Sting & Flair bringing things up with their run-ins as well. Heck, even Zbyszko was looking good in there at certain points and played his role well as a late fill-in. I feel for Arn not being in but everyone had their working boots on except for Sid, who dragged this down a little, but not that much and I came away from this really appreciating this match type but mostly the performance by Pillman will always stick with me. Probably not the best War Games match ever but still great on its own merits.

Watch: The Network or https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xttuto

-

8. Mitsuharu Misawa & Toshiaki Kawada vs. Jumbo Tsuruta & Akira Taue - AJPW Real World Tag League - November 29th

It's funny that we're into yet another match with this feud and it seems almost comical to call anything else the best in-ring rivalry ever to me. But this time we have a match with modern relevance as the 2018 iteration of the RWTL just started recently. If any of those teams can pull off something nearly as good as this we'll have a blessed year because this is great great tag team wrestling. As I mentioned to Shock above, Jumbo & crew had basically eliminated the shades of gray & embraced a straight up heelish role in these matches, coming off the one sided Trios in October where they took advantage of a handicap situation by exploiting Misawa's injury and now this where they again exploited Misawa. But this had a very smartly executed twist in psychology that elevated this to the top ten. They directly called attention to Misawa's injured eye at the beginning & you would expect it to be the entire focus of the match. But instead they keep things going as a normal match until around the halfway point when momentum started to shift and it made the most sense to go after the eye, and that's when things kick up a notch. Kawada carried the early going with his selling of his ribs, and a great moment later on with his interactions with Jumbo. Misawa was extremely great selling his eye and was very expressive, and made all the better by his typically stoic & robotic demeanor earlier. Jumbo's presence was incredible and he was vicious against Misawa's eye, even driving it into the guardrail late. He hated these young punks! He also used it blatantly to break free of submissions & pins and I thought it was excellent storytelling in the grand scheme of things. Yes, both sides are as even now as they were a year prior, but Jumbo has been forced to become twice as desperate and it's only a matter of time before the new generation takes over for good. I also quite enjoyed the crowd psychology of AJPW. Both Jumbo & Taue were both equally harsh & bullies to Misawa & Kawada and they would both get jeered when doing bad things. BUT as soon as Jumbo called to the crowd for his "Hooo!" chant he got it because they still love Jumbo but don't respect his actions. Whereas Taue was seen to have no redeeming quality and was booed completely no matter what. A tremendous match that was even better in context as these guys continued to add new wrinkles after every match despite this feud being 18 months in. Don't be fooled by the match length, this was excellently paced with nearly no down time.

Also...this is the last ever match between these two teams.

Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JheSWWB7rYQ or theditch.biz

-

7. The Enforcers (Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko) vs Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes (WCW World Tag Team Titles) - WCW Clash of the Champions XVII - November 19th

More November! And an absolutely classic match on top of it, this is the last "jump up" on the list in pure match quality where it feels as if everything from here on is MOTY quality in my book. This was originally supposed to be Dustin & Barry Windham vs. The Enforcers but since Windham's injured his hand when the Enforcers slammed his hand in a car door they forced a surprise return here. And somehow WCW found a way to give Steamboat even crazier entrance attire than WWF, though mainly to conceal his identity with Tony speculating that it's a Japanese wrestler with this goofy dragon head. But it leads to one of the best reveals in history when Steamboat gets a HUGE hero's welcome. Even Windham lifting him up high was awesome. I really loved Tony & JR on commentary here, particularly Tony when he shouted out Steamboat's history with the tag titles including shouting out the criminally underrated Jay Youngblood. Arn's reactions were just amazing and extremely memorable, immediately freaking out & yelling "NOT RICKY STEAMBOAT!" then after Steamboat & Rhodes clean house Arn tells Zbyszko "He's just a man...he's just a man." The crowd was nuts for all of this and the match was great on a psychological level with Steamboat selling & taking constant double teams with the intention of getting Dustin riled up to distract the ref due to his inexperience, thus giving The Enforcers more room to take advantage of Steamboat. But eventually Dustin gets the hot tag and shows he's totally ready to be up there with all 3 of these other legends with great babyface offense, & even passes the ball back to Steamboat to get the win & the titles upon his return to another mega pop.

I thought as much as the match was about Steamboat, The Enforcers really made his return that much better with their selling & excellent control period. It's a real shame Arn & Larry's team was so short lived, they had absolutely amazing chemistry & I would put this match head to head with any of Arn's matches with his other partners. Way too short lived. Dustin & Steamboat were both awesome as we already knew & Dustin would only get better & better in '92. Amazing crowd reaction, great commentary, everything about this was as great as it could be and I would rank this as arguably the best example of a surprise partner match, and flat out one of the best matches overall in WCW history.

Watch: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xz8eb9 or The Network

-

6. Akira Hokuto vs. Manami Toyota (All Pacific Title/White Belt) - AJW Shogeki! Waisha Kamikiri Tag The Soul of Shout ~Kawasaki Jikkon~ - January 11th

Perhaps the example of the all time best injury prop, with Hokuto coming out with a completely awesome yet somewhat silly looking arm wrap to protect her legit elbow injury. Toyota immediately targets the arm, unwrapping the arm and breaking the splint over her knee in a moment of badassery. I could see Becky Lynch doing something like that today, but Toyota was the OG and continues to defy the perception of her, grounding the action and never losing track of the weakness. If anything she went too far because there required an injury timeout to bandage Hokuto back up early on. Your mileage may vary on that but I think it worked to set up what was to come perfectly. And Hokuto for her part was also awesome fighting through her injury and as I mentioned earlier about the Hogan/Flair comp, she sold herself the right way, avoiding using the arm for the match's benefit and having to sell out almost completely with all-or-nothing moves because it's all her arm would allow. This match had big moments, had a smart story, & even the counter injury of Toyota getting too cocky and hurting her own leg on a dive attempt provides some opening but the Arm is just too much, and it ends in an unexpected but 100% logical way that does feel like a lost art in the story took precedence over cool moves, and there were still a few nifty suplexes from Toyota. Also of note was the acting from all involved in this match which was at a different level than nearly anyone I can think of. Of course Hokuto was amazing, exemplifying what "Victory Through Guts" means, laying everything out in real life & kayfabe. But also a huge difference maker was her earlier mentioned tag partner Suzuka Minami who was absolutely brilliant showing concern for her friend, nearly throwing in the towel and after the match ends unleashes an unforgettable "if looks could kill" moment on Toyota, swearing revenge and to avenge Hokuto. And then again perhaps the best of all was Toyota. Her emotion after the match wasn't jubilee at breaking her greatest rival (again, and this time on purpose), but one of the rarest emotions actually executed well in wrestling...regret. Although in her heart she knows that this was what she had to do to get the title, was it worth it when she had to lose who she is to do it? This match ticked every box of what I want in wrestling and actually went way up upon rewatch for me from where I originally had it on my list. Classic and way underrated historically.

Watch: https://www.vermontcam.org/show/mana...a-akira-hokuto or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7JBZDF_akc

Chikara Trainee

Status

Watched the Enforcers-Steamboat/Rhodes match recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, Warrior/Savage is a classic and one of the best WM matches ever!

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I could talk for hours about the first four matches. Agreed with pretty much all your thoughts, especially Pillman in War Games. For me it's the second best performance in a War Games behind Austin the next year.

THE MAN

Status

I watched the Jumbo/Misawa match last night. I really loved it, I think Jumbo is my favourite Misawa opponent, not Kobashi. I think that maybe down to Misawa playing the son trying to sit at the big boys table, rather than Misawa being the ace and the hot favourite in all the Kobashi matches. The last 5 minutes is phenomenal. I didn't know who won that match so I thought Misawa had it with the dragon suplex.

I hate hate hate the 5 Savage elbows kick out spot. Other than that, really good mania match.

Love wargames and the Dustin/Steamboat tag.

Thread Information