Thread: The 'Mixed Feelings' Thread

SIX F'N STARS

Status

The 'Mixed Feelings' Thread

As a wrestling fan, you've surely experienced highs and lows over the years. Things you love, things you hated. But what about the stuff in-between?

What do you have mixed feelings about in pro wrestling?

It can be something as simple as a move performed by two different people, an attire that was just as cool as it was goofy, or a storyline that left you unsure how to react.

I'll start with two things:

1) The Rebound Lariat - you know the one. I fucking hate it. But I only fucking hate it when Dean Ambrose does it. I've seen Kyle O'Reilly do it multiple times and it's almost always great. And that Nigel McGuinness guy wasn't terrible either. But whenever the Ambrose Asylum busts one out, and ESPECIALLY when Michael Cole calls it a 'wacky line,' I can't help but groan. Please stahp.

2) Those complicated 'friendly fire' tag team spots. Let's say, for instance, it's Young Bucks vs Roppongi Vice. Trent boots Nick Jackson in the gut, then does the same to Matt Jackson. Then, he sticks Matt's head under Nick's arm, so it looks like one Young Buck is going to DDT his brother. Then, Trent hits a neckbreaker on Nick Jackson, and by extension, Nick Jackson hits a DDT on Matt Jackson.

It's a really convoluted spot and I honestly don't know where I stand on it. Part of me feels like it's too goofy, but another part of me kind of likes it. And obviously, it gets a pop. I don't like it or dislike it, I'm just middle of the road on this one.
    Prepare to lose a war of attrition in 10,000 words or more.

Re: The 'Mixed Feelings' Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    2) Those complicated 'friendly fire' tag team spots. Let's say, for instance, it's Young Bucks vs Roppongi Vice. Trent boots Nick Jackson in the gut, then does the same to Matt Jackson. Then, he sticks Matt's head under Nick's arm, so it looks like one Young Buck is going to DDT his brother. Then, Trent hits a neckbreaker on Nick Jackson, and by extension, Nick Jackson hits a DDT on Matt Jackson.
    I hate those spots a lot. In theory, they're pretty clever. If they were done very, very rarely, you can appreciate them for their wackiness. However, they're overly used far too much.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I hate those spots a lot. In theory, they're pretty clever. If they were done very, very rarely, you can appreciate them for their wackiness. However, they're overly used far too much.
    Yeah it's definitely not a mental leap or anything to accept them, but they annoy me as much as they pop me. I almost wonder if that's a jaded-fan-thing, where the live crowd digs it because it's quirky/interesting and unusual to them, but I'm not enjoying it at home because I just saw it last week in a different indy tag match.

Sometimes they are smooth and quick, but if there's any delay, it falls out of favor with me instantly. Hard to suspend disbelief that a dude is just gonna keep holding on to this teammate's head for a significant length of time.

Team Canada

Status
      Country                    Canada

Comedy Segments

Examples

1....Lashley's Sisters With Sami Zayn

2...Tag Team BBQ With The B Team

Segments like this just make me embarrassed to be a Pro Wrestling Fan

Status

I pretty much agree, TCon. Like 75% of the comedy the WWE does is somewhere on the cringey scale. They manage to do great stuff sometimes, don't get me wrong. But when its bad, it can be REALLY bad. Sometimes its the delivery, but quite often its the writing. But I also accept that I'm not the target audience of the WWE anymore so I just use my remote and skip thru the crappy crap.

Another one for me... overanalyzing the psychology involved. Great pro wrestling can have amazing psychology, callbacks, references, etc. But a lot of stuff is... lacking in that regard. Like when a finisher has some dicey psychology. Big Show's knockout punch. If you apply any level of basic logic to it, he should be trying for that early and often and constantly.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    England

Comedy. When done right, it's great. Chinsuke Nakamura is a great example of comedy done right. But almost anything WWE tries to present as comedy is outright embarrassing to watch. But with that being said, they have some great comedy moments as well.

The KO and Jericho comedy duo was great and highlights of some dire Raw's but I didn't think it should be done at the main event level. More midcard and tag divisions. To bring it more back to the mixed feelings topic.
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-01-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

SIX F'N STARS

Status

I'll throw another log on the fire:

The Tree of Woe Double Foot Stomp - Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks sloppy. Sometimes the setup feels organic and happens rather quickly, sometimes it's incredibly convoluted and makes me regret its popularity as a move.

It's interesting to me because I wouldn't put the 619 on this list, because I simply don't have positive feelings about it. I like the way it looks, right, but the majority of my feelings are negative because of how fake the setup seems every single time. It would be one thing if people naturally fell into the ropes more often as a rule (and if I was an agent in WWE during Mysterio's time there, I would have been working that into other people's matches all the time...) but they only seem to do it when they're fighting someone who does a Tiger Feint Kick. It's dumb and really hurts the move for me.

With the tree of woe thing, even if it's a little silly that they can't "undo their legs," at least this is a position that I am used to seeing people in.

Brick Shithouse

Status

I think anything really bad works for me in this thread. Like House of Horrors when I first watched it I thought it was one of the worst things ever. Now I think it's one of the worst things ever, but also absolutely hilarious as well. Similarly Katie Vick, and the Custody of Dominic Ladder match.

Ladder matches in general too. They're fun car crashes to watch, but there's been so many now that it's really tough for any of them to stand out, and I rarely watch one more than once.

Possibly Sheamus would be another answer for this question. He's an amazing, amazing wrestler, but as a character he's always kind of sucked, had a weird look, a mediocre talker and never come across as a top guy. So I'm always kind of saying to myself "wow Sheamus is awesome and way too good to be a midcard wrestler" and then he's pushed to the main event and I just don't enjoy seeing him there at all.

I think these are quite broad answers to the question.

SIX F'N STARS

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TCON View Post
    Comedy Segments
    Yeah, fair play there. I remember thinking the Mae Young 'Hand' birth was fucking stupid at the time, and now I've come around on it as one of those, "yeah, wrestling is ridiculous sometimes" moments. It brings me some joy to recall how stupid wrestling can be and that it (thankfully, for the most part) doesn't take itself too seriously all the time.

Like right now I think the Bobby Lashley's sisters thing was irredeemably stupid and will never be something I look back on at laugh. And yet, somehow, I think I probably will. Some day.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Is it me or are the people bringing up WWE comedy more negative than mixed about their feelings?

Natty I'm with you on the hung rope double stomp mainly because the taker has to grab hold of the ropes to expose their torso as a target for the stomp, it shows literally no defence strategy whatsoever.

Some for me:

Thigh Slapping - I don't love it, but I don't hate it and I don't go around in matches looking at people's hands when they go for a big kick because I'm looking at their feet. It's part of the art of wrestling and making things feel more impactful than they really are.

WWE tropes - Stuff like the angle people watch television backstage at an angle no normal human would, General Managers seemingly having a touring office from arena to arena that looks exactly the same but they don't seem to do any work other than booking on the fly matches, using 'sports entertainment' when everyone else would use 'wrestling', the security barrier spot. It's all stuff I've grown up with that I've just accepted and don't feel too strongly about.

Long title reigns - They can both be great in terms of making a title more important, but dull as fuck if they overstay their welcome or the title is on someone you don't like and there are matches you know they are in no danger of losing (cough Brock Lesnar)

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
    I'll throw another log on the fire:

The Tree of Woe Double Foot Stomp - Sometimes it looks great, sometimes it looks sloppy. Sometimes the setup feels organic and happens rather quickly, sometimes it's incredibly convoluted and makes me regret its popularity as a move.

It's interesting to me because I wouldn't put the 619 on this list, because I simply don't have positive feelings about it. I like the way it looks, right, but the majority of my feelings are negative because of how fake the setup seems every single time. It would be one thing if people naturally fell into the ropes more often as a rule (and if I was an agent in WWE during Mysterio's time there, I would have been working that into other people's matches all the time...) but they only seem to do it when they're fighting someone who does a Tiger Feint Kick. It's dumb and really hurts the move for me.

With the tree of woe thing, even if it's a little silly that they can't "undo their legs," at least this is a position that I am used to seeing people in.
    My main problem with the tree of woe stomp is the victim having to do a half sit up to make his own chest available for his opponent to demolish. There are times when they do it and the guy that's about to take the stomp is sitting there pleading with other guy like "please don't destroy me" but at the same time they have positioned themself to be vulnerable to the stomp. Just let your body hang and the guy can't stomp the shit out of you, but no, for some reason they bring their torso up to make it an easy target.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I was going to pop in and shout long title reigns

Short title reigns too.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Team Canada

Status

The Sleeper Hold/Finisher

It has been a long time since I have seen it happen, but in TV Squash Matches A Wrestler Would make his opponent go to Sleep With The Sleeper Hold (Ni Tap Outs)
    The Ref Would Ask The Victorious Wrestler To Revive The Jobber
    If he Was A Face, He Would Do So And Make Sure The Jobber Was Okay
    If He Was A Heel, He Would Either Slap The Guy In The Back of The Neck Really Hard Or Just Refuse To Revive the Guy Until The Ref Threatened To DQ Him

Shouldn't Someone With Some Kind Of Medical Background/Training Over See This Procedure ?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Quote Originally Posted by TCON View Post
    If He Was A Heel, He Would Either Slap The Guy In The Back of The Neck Really Hard Or Just Refuse To Revive the Guy Until The Ref Threatened To DQ Him
    Now that's what I call getting good heat.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Curtain Jerker

Status

Ronda Rouseys WWE run. On the one hand I think she’s doing a bad job. On the other hand, I want to give her a chance and see what she has to offer and see her perform more.

Thread Information