Thread: WWF 1992: The Changing Of The Guard

Internet Favorite

Status

WWF 1992: The Changing Of The Guard

WWF 1992: The Changing Of The Guard

Backstory
    1991 and 1992 are my fave years of wrestling. The WWF was hit with the steroid scandal in 1992. There were many top wrestlers that left the company and several new talent coming in. By WrestleMania IX, the WWF had such a different roster compared to WrestleMania VIII. The end of the golden era in 1992 and the start of the new generation in 1993.

1992 was a fantastic year. The greatest Rumble in history, WrestleMania 8 and SummerSlam 92 are some of my all time fave ppvs. Then it all started to change. For the Survivor Series, many changes made to the show. The WWF completely changed the format for Survivor Series, they could have done more elimination matches on the card. The 1993 Rumble was very underwhelming. such a weak field. The previous year, the Rumble match was stacked with star power and it is an awesome Rumble. WrestleMania IX is considered to be one of the worst WrestleManias of all time but with the right booking it wouldn't have been the worst.
    1992-93 is a fun time period to book. The starting point for this thread will be SummerSlam 92 as it was the changing of the guard with the Bret/Bulldog main event. I want to try to keep this realistic by using the right roster that was available at the time. Plus there are some special shows included so a few feuds can be started/ended instead of doing them at Survivor Series. Saturday Night’s Main Event will still continue on as a special show. This will begin in September.

The Road to SummerSlam
    The first WWF ppv without Hulk Hogan. The WWF Title will be on the line as The Macho Man Randy Savage defends the title against The Ultimate Warrior infront of 80,000 fans in Wembley Stadium, London England. The British Bulldog returns to his home country as he meets his brother in law, Bret The Hitman Hart for the Intercontinental Title.

Here are some of the changes: Ric Flair takes on The Undertaker. Ric Flair never had a match on the card so the feud is set up on the Funeral Parlour. Paul Bearer interviews Ric Flair. The nature boy is furious that he never received his rematch for the WWF Title so he issues an open challenge to any superstar at SummerSlam. The Undertaker ends up coming out of a coffin and accepts Flair's challenge. Undertaker was successful in his tv feuds against The Berzerker and Papa Shango. The feud with Kamala doesn't happen yet.

Razor Ramon made his WWF debut on August 8 on WWF Superstars. Razor defeated a local competitor. The following week, Razor defeated Jim Powers. Razor cut a promo following the match and wanted real competition. The following week, Jack Tunney announced that Razor Ramon will face El Matador Tito Santana at SummerSlam. Plus Tatanka takes on The Mountie.

There will be three bonus dark matches taking place at SummerSlam. The matches are High Energy vs The Nasty Boys, Crush vs The Repo Man. Plus a big six man tag featuring Virgil, Sgt Slaughter and Hacksaw Jim Duggan against Nailz, Papa Shango and Kamala. A week before the show, Sgt Slaughter was in action against Nailz. Before the bell rang, Nailz attacked Sgt Slaughter and injured him, retiring Slaughter from in ring competition. Jack Tunney announced that The Big Boss Man will return at SummerSlam and he will replace Sgt Slaughter in the six man tag match. The 6 man tag is a bigger match than Ramon/Santana, Mountie/Tatanka but I prefer to have the singles bouts on the main card as they are better work rate matches. Also scrapping the no hitting in the face stipulation between Michaels and Martel, they get to put on a better match.

SUMMERSLAM RESULTS
    August 29, 1992 - Wembley Stadium in London, England (Aired August 31)

Spoiler:

Opening Match
    The Legion of Doom defeated Money Inc via pinfall (15:10)

The only change here is that The Legion of Doom win via Doomsday Device and IRS eats the pin. This is Hawk's final appearance as he left the WWF .

SINGLES MATCH
    Razor Ramon defeated El Matador Tito Santana via pinfall (6:54)
    Razor hits the Razor's Edge to win the match.

SINGLES MATCH
    Shawn Michaels defeated The Model Rick Martel via pinfall (10:30)
    Michaels and Martel put on a great match. Sherri distracts Martel and Michaels hits a tear drop suplex and follows up with a reverse thrust kick(superkick) to win the match.

SINGLES MATCH
    The Undertaker defeated Ric Flair via disqualification (7:55)

The Undertaker hits the chokeslam on Ric Flair. He's about to finish Flair off when The Ugandan Giant Kamala runs in and attacks The Undertaker. Kamala hits three splashes and then The Undertaker sits up and stalks Kamala all the way to the back. This starts off The Undertaker/Kamala feud.

TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH
    The Natural Disasters (c) defeated The Beverly Brothers via pinfall (8:06)

No change here but trimmed down the length of this match. I swapped the match times between Michaels/Martel and the tag match. The Nasty Boys have a backstage interview and they were successful earlier on in the show against High Energy. The Nastys believe they should be the #1 contenders and issued a challenge to The Natural Disasters for a future title shot.

WWF CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE MATCH
    The Ultimate Warrior defeated The Macho Man Randy Savage (c) by count out. (28:00)

No change here, exactly the way how it went down. Ric Flair and Mr Perfect cut a backstage promo. Flair wants his rematch for the title and claims that the belt it coming back to the Nature Boy "whooo!"

SINGLES MATCH
    Tatanka defeated The Mountie via pinfall (5:45)
    Tatanka hits the Renegade drop for the win to remain undefeated.

MAIN EVENT | WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP TITLE MATCH
    The British Bulldog defeated Bret Hart (c) via pinfall to become the new Intercontinental Champion. (25:40)

Same result, no changes here.

Bonus Dark Matches
    Crush defeated The Repo Man via submission (5:45)
    The Nasty Boys defeated High Energy via pinfall (9:20)
    6 Man Tag Match: Papa Shango, Kamala and Nailz defeated The Big Boss Man, Virgil and Hacksaw Jim Duggan via pinfall (7:17)

September 1: Ric Flair defeated The Macho Man Randy Savage to win the WWF Title. Aired on September 14, 1992.

WWF ROSTER
    The Macho Man Randy Savage | The Ultimate Warrior | Ric Flair | The Undertaker | Razor Ramon | The Big Boss Man | Kamala | Nailz | Papa Shango | The British Bulldog | Bret Hart | The Mountie | Shawn Michaels | The Model Rick Martel | Crush | The Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase | Irwin R Schyster | Hacksaw Jim Duggan | El Matador Tito Santana | Tatanka | Earthquake| Typhoon | The Repo Man | Virgil| The Berzerker | Animal | Jerry Saggs |Brian Knobbs | Beau Beverly | Blake Beverly | Owen Hart | Koko B Ware | Skinner | Kato | Bushwhacker Luke | Bushwhacker Butch

MANAGERS
    Mr Perfect | Paul Bearer | Sensational Sherri | Jimmy Hart | Mr Fuji | Harvey Whippleman | Kim Chee | The Genius

OTHER PERSONALITIES
    Vince McMahon | Jack Tunney | Gorilla Monsoon | Bobby the Brain Heenan | Mene Gene Okerlund | Sean Mooney | Lord Alfred Hayes | Howard Finkell

TAG TEAMS
    Money Inc | The Natural Disasters | The Nasty Boys | The Beverly Brothers | High Energy | The Bushwhackers

YET TO DEBUT
    Yokozuna | The Headshrinkers | Doink the Clown | The Steiner Brothers | Jerry the King Lawler | Terrific Terry Taylor | Max Moon | Lance Cassidy | Damian Demento | Lex Luger

RETURNING SOON

Bob Backlund | Bam Bam Bigelow | Marty Jannetty

CHAMPIONS

WWF CHAMPION: Ric Flair
    Date Won: September 1, 1992
    Previous Champion: The Macho Man Randy Savage

INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION: The British Bulldog
    Date Won: August 29, 1992
    Previous Champion: Bret Hart

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The Natural Disasters
    Date Won: July 20, 1992
    Previous Champions: Money Inc

PPV Calendar
    Survivor Series
    | November 25, 1992 - Richfield Coliseum in Richfield, OH
    Royal Rumble | January 24, 1993 - Sacramento California
    WrestleMania IX | April 4, 1993 - Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas Nevada

Special Non PPV Shows

2nd Annual Battle Royal at Albert Hall |
    September 29, London, England

King of the Ring 1992 | October 12, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Centre, Canada
    Saturday Night's Main Event
    | November 14, 1992, Hulman Center in Terre Haute, IN
    Survivor Series Showdown | November 22, Springfield Illinois
    Saturday Night's Main Event | March 6, 1993, Chicago, IL, Rosemont Horizon

TV Shows
    WWF Superstars | Wrestling Challenge | Prime Time Wrestling | All American Wrestling

Upcoming PPV

The formatting issues are really annoying, having so many problems. It keeps changing my font, layout. Whenever I want to preview post, it keeps logging me out and I have to sign back in. It takes me ages to fix this so I'm currently going to have to manage with this. If anyone can help me sort out the formatting issues then that would be great, would save me a lot of time, thanks.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Re: WWF 1992: The Changing Of The Guard

Loving this man. I'm basically doing an opposite of this but on the WCW side Definitely looking forward to seeing where you go with this though, you have definitely been one of the better bookers here for a long time man.

NOW PLAYING IN THE "BE THE BOOKER" SECTION!

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Interesting!

Is Hogan a personal exclusion from your roster because technically he’s just on a leave of absence right? Unless his departure is permanent until 1993.

Also why put LOD over if Hawk is exiting. Would make a lot more sense for Money Inc to go over or even injure Hawk post match/coming weeks to add another chip to their shoulders.

Just Justice

Status

Yass! Welcome back sir. I loved your old 1995 thread from here, I've been a big admirer of yours due to your work in other forums and with 1992 being the WWF's beginning transition into the New Generation Era, am sure this is gonna be great! Good luck

Internet Favorite

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Charlemm1 View Post
    Loving this man. I'm basically doing an opposite of this but on the WCW side Definitely looking forward to seeing where you go with this though, you have definitely been one of the better bookers here for a long time man.
    Thanks. I started watching WCW in 1992 so it's great to see a pre-92 thread. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Interesting!

Is Hogan a personal exclusion from your roster because technically he’s just on a leave of absence right? Unless his departure is permanent until 1993.

Also why put LOD over if Hawk is exiting. Would make a lot more sense for Money Inc to go over or even injure Hawk post match/coming weeks to add another chip to their shoulders.
    Hogan will be returning in February 1993.

I was going back and forth for the finish between LOD and Money Inc. WM8 was going to be the starting point for this thread with LOD going over Money Inc for the titles. Then at SummerSlam, Money Inc would win the belts back. However there were other matches I’d have to change around on the WM8 card plus other booking plans. Decided to start off at SummerSlam, LOD finally get their revenge over Money Inc. Hawk may have left but Money Inc are still feuding with Animal. More updates coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Polo View Post
    Yass! Welcome back sir. I loved your old 1995 thread from here, I've been a big admirer of yours due to your work in other forums and with 1992 being the WWF's beginning transition into the New Generation Era, am sure this is gonna be great! Good luck
    Thanks. For the last couple of months, I’ve been deciding whether to go back to btb. Just been so busy with work and family life so most of my tv shows(except Raw once I get to 93) will be recaps. Raw should be more detailed. It’s fun rebooking shows so no matter how long it takes, my goal is to make this a successful btb.

Thread Information