Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Meg (2018)

Status
      Country                    United States

The Meg (2018)

Release date: August 10, 2018
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures, Gravity Pictures
    Director: Jon Turteltaub
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for action/peril, bloody images and some language)
    Screenwriters: Dean Georgaris, Jon Hoeber, Erich Hoeber
    Starring: Jason Statham, Li Bingbing, Rainn Wilson, Ruby Rose, Winston Chao, Page Kennedy, Jessica McNamee, Olafur Darri Olafsson, Robert Taylor, Cliff Curtis, Sophia Shuya Cai, Masi Oka
    Genre: Thriller, Action, Sci-Fi
    Official website: TheMeg.movie

Plot Summary: In the film, a deep-sea submersible—part of an international undersea observation program—has been attacked by a massive creature, previously thought to be extinct, and now lies disabled at the bottom of the deepest trench in the Pacific...with its crew trapped inside. With time running out, expert deep sea rescue diver Jonas Taylor (Jason Statham) is recruited by a visionary Chinese oceanographer (Winston Chao), against the wishes of his daughter Suyin (Li Bingbing), to save the crew—and the ocean itself—from this unstoppable threat: a pre-historic 75-foot-long shark known as the Megalodon. What no one could have imagined is that, years before, Taylor had encountered this same terrifying creature. Now, teamed with Suyin, he must confront his fears and risk his own life to save everyone trapped below...bringing him face to face once more with the greatest and largest predator of all time.

Trailer:

Status

Re: The Meg (2018)

Here's a new poster.

Status

Here's an other poster.

Status

Here's an international poster, and another trailer.

Status

This is the kind of summer fun flick I enjoy, so wanted to see it. Plus I read the book a long time ago. Couldn't manage to get to the theater this weekend, so found an "alternate" to watch it. It was.... mediocre. I really like the cast, but the little kid basically steals the show. Its decently entertaining but I doubt it has a great deal of rewatch value.

Status

Total Lifetime Grosses
    Domestic: $44,500,000 31.4%
    + Foreign: $97,000,000 68.6%
    = Worldwide: $141,500,000
    Pretty great numbers for this movie. I thought it was going to bomb. This movie had a 130 million dollar budget.

The Bastard of Bolton

Status

Saw this last night. Definitely enjoyed the film and thought it was a lot of fun. Personally would have liked more gore though. But that's just me.

God Mode

Status

This may be one of the stupidest movie titles I've seen in a while.

We get the point was to reference a megalodon shark.

But everyones just picturing Meg from Family Guy.
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by TB12 View Post
    This may be one of the stupidest movie titles I've seen in a while.

We get the point was to reference a megalodon shark.

But everyones just picturing Meg from Family Guy.
    Coincidentally this may be one of the stupidest posts I’ve seen in awhile. If this was serious I feel really bad for you, if it was meant as humour I somehow feel worse.

The movie is based on a book of the same title that came out years ago, has been announced as such for quite some time and has been heavily advertised with posters that feature (in a shocking twist I might add) a giant fucking shark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Samuel L. Jackson Films~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

God Mode

Status

I've seen a large amount of people making such analogy of it, and countless memes of it.

I'm aware of the book.

Are you not aware a very large amount of people think it's a stupid name?

I am the storm.

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Entered a competiton through Roadshow to win free tickets to see it at the cinemas. Winners are contacted tomorrow, If I don't win the chances are I won't watch it for awhile.

With that being said, I do love a good read. Is the book worth a look?

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

The Meg (2018)

I've seen a large amount of people making such analogy of it, and countless memes of it.

I'm aware of the book.

No I’m not and that doesn’t change the fact that I think it’s as stupid as anyone who is brain dead enough not to get the name immediately or make lame jokes about it on the internet.

EDIT: Stojy, the book is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 08-16-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Samuel L. Jackson Films~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

God Mode

Status

I even pointed out how people will obviously get the reference.

Even without the Family Guy part, you seriously don't think "The Meg" is a silly name for a movie? At all?

That's just fearsome and terrifying. "The Meg". Featuring such amazing actors like Jason Statham and Ruby Rose.

If it hits 50% on RT, I'd be a bit surprised.

I am the storm.

Status

I'm aware of the book.

Curiosity question - where are these "large amount of people" located? Is it all your family and friends? Your whole state? People on social media?

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Entered a competiton through Roadshow to win free tickets to see it at the cinemas. Winners are contacted tomorrow, If I don't win the chances are I won't watch it for awhile.

With that being said, I do love a good read. Is the book worth a look?
    Not really. I'm going by memory because it was a long time ago that I read it. But I recall it being a cool concept, decent story, and basically pop fiction writing. Nothing very literary about it. Like reading the novel version of a popular movie.

God Mode

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Curiosity question - where are these "large amount of people" located? Is it all your family and friends? Your whole state? People on social media?

Not really. I'm going by memory because it was a long time ago that I read it. But I recall it being a cool concept, decent story, and basically pop fiction writing. Nothing very literary about it. Like reading the novel version of a popular movie.
    On literally everything on social media or any website I have seen showing trailers and advertisements for the site.

Apparently, that's a strange idea to think that people find a movie titled "The Meg" to be a silly title on this small corner of the web.

I am the storm.

I'm your Huckleberry

Status

I saw this thread title before I saw the promos and when I saw "The Meg" I had no fucking idea what they were talking about either.

God Mode

Status

Even Dakstang and I agree on this one.

I am the storm.

Status

On literally everything on social media or any website I have seen showing trailers and advertisements for the site.

Apparently, that's a strange idea to think that people find a movie titled "The Meg" to be a silly title on this small corner of the web.
    Don't really care much if someone likes, or gets, the name. Or makes fun of it. I was literally just curious about the "large amount of people" statement. Something I commonly see people do - and I've done myself, and a buddy of mine is constantly guilty of it - is seeing a sampling of an opinion and extrapolating large from that. Particularly on social media. And honestly, my experience has been different. I don't follow a huge amount of accounts on Twitter that focus on movies, and its easy to overlook single tweets on a timeline, but I can't recall seeing any that mocked the name. I can recall a few japes back when the trailers came out, but they were more about Jason Statham doing Jason Statham things and the music. Read a couple of reviews / commentaries on one site and actually read a few comments, and didn't see any that focused on the name.

And honestly, most movie titles don't mean anything in particular. Some are actually kinda dumb. But when you combine the name with some context - like a poster - they make much more sense. If anyone saw the name and the poster and didn't figure it out.... would that particular person be any more likely to understand "The Megaladon"?

God Mode

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Don't really care much if someone likes, or gets, the name. Or makes fun of it. I was literally just curious about the "large amount of people" statement. Something I commonly see people do - and I've done myself, and a buddy of mine is constantly guilty of it - is seeing a sampling of an opinion and extrapolating large from that. Particularly on social media. And honestly, my experience has been different. I don't follow a huge amount of accounts on Twitter that focus on movies, and its easy to overlook single tweets on a timeline, but I can't recall seeing any that mocked the name. I can recall a few japes back when the trailers came out, but they were more about Jason Statham doing Jason Statham things and the music. Read a couple of reviews / commentaries on one site and actually read a few comments, and didn't see any that focused on the name.

And honestly, most movie titles don't mean anything in particular. Some are actually kinda dumb. But when you combine the name with some context - like a poster - they make much more sense. If anyone saw the name and the poster and didn't figure it out.... would that particular person be any more likely to understand "The Megaladon"?
    Honestly, it doesn't really make a difference to me. I just thought it was a silly name, and it makes me chuckle a bit. I do get the megolodon reference, but really..It just looks like another shark movie to me, and well, this one has Jason Statham in it. So it's going to be like every other Jason Statham movie.

I am the storm.

Status

Honestly, it doesn't really make a difference to me. I just thought it was a silly name, and it makes me chuckle a bit. I do get the megolodon reference, but really..It just looks like another shark movie to me, and well, this one has Jason Statham in it. So it's going to be like every other Jason Statham movie.
    It is relatively watchable. You get pretty much what are you expecting, but its not an un-fun ride. Honestly no big fan of Statham but is a bit restrained here, compared to a lot of flicks. He mean mugs and he deadpan snarks, but there isn't too much of him kicking ass... cuz its a giant fucking shark, not just an entire squad of terrorists. The bar is ridiculous low, but its one of the better shark movies in quite awhile.

Its worth watching unless you hate shark movies, hate Statham, or hate Rainn Wilson. Just... probably wouldn't recommend paying actual money to see it.

Thread Information