Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCW 1991: A Line In The Sand

Mid-Card Champion

Status

WCW 1991: A Line In The Sand

The Background

It is spring of 1991, World Championship Wrestling is on the brink of possible closure and rapid changes are taking place. I am sticking to the actual timeline and events for the most part, but I have tweaked them just a little bit in the effort of storyline and overall direction of the product. Eric Bischoff's promotion is sped up a little bit. Some talent does not end up leaving for the WWF (Flair, Wallstreet, etc.) A few signings happen to fill out the roster (Dynamite Kid, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, etc.) The Oz gimmick is completely dropped with Kevin Nash assuming his real name, thank god for that. This product will steer away mostly from the "kid gimmicky direction" and more of a realistic or toned down late 90s product. I plan on continuing this all the way throughout the Monday Night Wars and even beyond. Below is a summary/timeline of events that were crucial in setting up WCW in 1991 with the first official show of Starrcade 1991. Starrcade will feature a BattleBowl (Battle Royal) to determine the #1 Contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but it will not be a lethal lottery tag team qualifying event like what actually happened. Much of the talent will be released after Starrcade 1991, so stay tuned!

TIMELINE OF EVENTS FROM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING IN 1991

Spoiler:

April 1991 -
    1. Kip Frey is hired as the Executive Vice President of Turner Sports.
    2. WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair and Jim Herd continue to have their personal problems about the direction of WCW, as Flair begins negotiations with the WWF.

May 1991 -
    1. Jim Herd is fired by new executive vice president Kip Frey.
    2. Frey surprisingly appoints commentator Eric Bischoff as the Executive Producer of WCW with the final say over creative.
    3. With Herd no longer a part of WCW, the newly promoted Eric Bischoff convinces Ric Flair to stay with WCW as the WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

June 1991 -
    1. After playing with the idea of jumping ship to the WWF as his contract comes up for renewal, Michael Wallstreet decides to re-sign with WCW.
    2. Wallstreet continues to have dissension with Richard Morton in the York Foundation, and Alexandra York refuses to take sides. Wallstreet and Morton continue their feud throughout the rest of the year until Starrcade when they face each other in a “Loser Leaves Town” match.

July 1991 -
    1. Lex Luger successfully defeats Ric Flair for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at The Great American Bash with help from Mr. Hughes and Harley Race.
    2. A Babyface Ric Flair takes a leave of absence for the rest of the summer and fall of 1991, systematically "broken" from the devastating loss to Lex Luger.

August 1991 -
    1. The first "WCW Saturday Night" of August 1991, Lex Luger turns his back on Harley Race and Mr Hughes; knocking them both out with his championship belt. Luger screams that he doesn’t need anyone but himself, and that this is now HIS TIME to carve out his legacy in WCW.
    2. Barry Windham and Luger start a program for the World Title after Luger flirts with Windham’s wife backstage. A brawl backstage ensues and Windham says he will go through whoever he has to go through to take that “piece of gold” away from Lex Luger.
    3. The next week on "WCW Saturday Night", Barry Windham earns his shot at the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and his revenge on Lex Luger after he impresses WCW Commissioner Ole Anderson with his victory over Cactus Jack.

September 1991 -
    1. WCW signs Dynamite Kid to a contract. Dynamite Kid then joins up with Lord Steven Regal in a newly formed heel tag team, British Invasion.
    2. Barry Windham defeats Lex Luger in a match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but the title does not change hands due to a purposeful count out from Lex Luger at Clash of the Champions XVI: Fall Brawl.

October 1991 -
    1. WCW releases "Wildfire" Tommy Rich after two consecutive failed drug tests.
    2. Lex Luger beats Barry Windham for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship at Halloween Havoc after Luger uses the bottom rope for leverage with a small package pinfall. After the match, an irate Windham beats Luger down at ringside profusely. Luger is able to desperately escape when Windham is held back by several security guards.

November 1991 -
    1. Larry
    Zbyszko officially retires from in ring action in order to focus on a backstage role within WCW.
    2. Harley Race and Mr Hughes are both released as part of Turner’s effort of downsizing and the renewed confidence of Lex Luger becoming a strictly singles act.
    3. Barry Windham defeats Big Van Vader by pinfall in a number one contenders match at Clash of The Champions XVII for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Lex Luger is at ringside and comes face to face with Barry Windham at the end of the match. Commissioner Ole Anderson comes out and gives Windham the opportunity to pick the stipulation for the title match against Luger at next month's Starrcade. Windham tells Luger he wants him in a 15 foot steel cage. Luger and Windham stare each other down as Luger walks up the ramp holding his world title.
    4. Rick Rude defeats Sting by pinfall at Clash of the Champions XVII for the WCW United States Championship. The Dangerous Alliance now hold both the WCW United States Championship and the WCW World Television Championship.

December 1991 -
    1. Executive Producer Eric Bischoff decides to move in a different direction with the release of commentator Jim Ross, instituting a permanent placement of Tony Schiavone in the play by play role and “The Living Legend” Larry Zbyszko on color commentary.
    2. In an effort to cut costs, Eric Bischoff decides to strengthen the flagship WCW Saturday to a two hour runtime, and downsize by cutting in half the amount of house shows that WCW runs.
    3. Commissioner Ole Anderson announces that Starrcade will not only feature a steel cage match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, but a 20 man battle royal to determine the next number one contender for the World Heavyweight Championship at the next flagship PPV, SuperBrawl II in February.
    4. Ric Flair returns as his classic full on “Franchise Heel” ready to take back what he lost over the summer, and he enrolls himself into the Battle Bowl for the #1 contendership for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Flair states that he has found himself and will stop at nothing to "prove that diamonds and Ric Flair are both, forever."
    5. Ole Anderson is let go as an on screen personality after he has a blow up with Executive Producer Eric Bischoff. "Cowboy" Bill Watts is named the new on screen commissioner of World Championship Wrestling. Watts has demanded not to be directed or produced by Executive Producer Eric Bischoff, and instead will work closely with booking committee member Kevin Sullivan during on screen appearances.

WCW Have Came To Terms With The Following Talent

Spoiler:

"Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin
    Michael "P.S." Hayes
    The Junkyard Dog
    "Wildfire" Tommy Rich
    "The Z Man" Tom Zenk
    Ricky Morton
    Brad Armstrong
    Tracey Smothers
    Steve Armstrong
    Mr. Hughes
    Dan Spivey
    Matt "Big Josh" Borne
    Firebreaker Chip
    Todd Champion
    Bill Kazmire
    Abdullah The Butcher
    Jim Ross

The Management

Owner - Ted Turner, Turner Broadcasting
    Executive Vice President - Kip Frey
    Executive Producer/Head of Creative -
    Eric Bischoff
    Creative Team - Mike Graham, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Jim Cornette, and Kevin Sullivan
    Head of Talent Relations - JJ Dillon

The Champions

WCW World Heavyweight Champion - "The Total Package" Lex Luger
    WCW World Tag Team Champions - "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson & "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton
    WCW United States Champion - "Ravishing" Rick Rude
    WCW World Television Champion - Vacant ("Stunning" Steve Austin Stripped Of Title Due To Injury)

WCW Talent

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair | Sting | "The Total Package" Lex Luger | "The All American" Ron Simmons | Big Van Vader| "Ravishing" Rick Rude | "The Natural" Dustin Rhodes | "Stunning" Steve Austin | Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat | Terry Funk | Barry Windham | "Flying" Brian Pillman | Cactus Jack | Rick Steiner | Scott Steiner | "The Enforcer" Arn Anderson | "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton | Booker T | Stevie Ray | Shane Douglas | Tank (Kevin Nash) | 2 Cold Scorpio | Jushin "Thunder" Liger | Johnny B Badd | Lord Steven Regal | Dynamite Kid| Michael Wallstreet | Terrance Taylor | Diamond Studd | Marcus Bagwell | "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer | Chris Benoit | Eddie Guerrero | P.N. News

WCW On-Screen Personalities

Paul E Dangerously | Madusa | Diamond Dallas Page | Alexandra York

Tag Teams & Stables

The Dangerous Alliance - Paul E Dangerously, "Ravishing" Rick Rude, "Stunning" Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Bobby Eaton, and Madusa
    The York Foundation - Alexandra York, Michael WallStreet, & Terrance Taylor
    Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes
    The Steiner Brothers - Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner
    Harlem Heat - Booker T & Stevie Ray
    British Invasion - Dynamite Kid & Lord Steven Regal

Other Personalities

The Commissioner
    - "Cowboy" Bill Watts
    The Broadcast Commentary - Tony Schiavone and "The Living Legend" Larry Zbyszko
    The Backstage Interviewers - Eric Bischoff and Missy Hyatt
    The Ring Announcer - David Penzer

Television Programming

WCW Saturday Night
    | 605pm EST/5pm CST | FROM CENTER STAGE in Atlanta, Georgia | TBS Super Station | 90 Minute Run Time

SHOWS IN SYNDICATION:

Spoiler:

WCW WorldWide| Friday Nights @ 1050pm EST/950pm CST | 60 Minute Run Time | WGCL-TV in Atlanta, WB-TV in Charlotte, and WGN-TV in Chicago

WCW Power Hour w/hosts Eric Bischoff and Larry Zbyszko (one hour recap show with a bonus match) | Saturday Mornings @ 11am EST/10am CST | 60 Minute Run Time | WGCL-TV in Atlanta, WB-TV in Charlotte, and WGN-TV in Chicago

WCW TV Archive

Upcoming Network TV Specials

World Championship Wrestling Presents: Clash of the Champions XVIII | Wednesday January 21, 1992 | Kansas Expo Center in Topeka, Kansas

Upcoming Pay Per View

World Championship Wrestling Presents: SuperBrawl II | February 29, 1992 | Milwaukee Theater at the MECCA in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Pay Per View Schedule

WCW SuperBrawl II - February 29, 1992 LIVE from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    WCW WrestleWar - May 17, 1992 LIVE from Jacksonville, Florida
    WCW Beach Blast - June 20, 1992 LIVE from Mobile, Alabama
    WCW The Great American Bash - July 12, 1992 LIVE from Albany, Georgia
    WCW Halloween Havoc - October 25, 1992 LIVE from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    WCW Starrcade - December 28, 1992 LIVE from Atlanta, Georgia

Last edited by Charlemm1; 06-10-2018 at 04:15 AM.

#wc4horsemen

BRAUUUUUUN

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WCW 1991: A Line In The Sand

You've definitely got a reader here. Wasn't watching back then, hell wasn't even alive, but I find that people who write great characters can get me into the project with their stories.
    We're just some grizzled, young vets...

Chikara Trainee

Status

looking forward to this project. i really enjoyed WCW in this era. I do wish that you had kept a few of the guys you released, but i understand that you cannot have an over abundance of talent. Looking forward to SuperBrawl. You have a viewer in me

Black Mass

Status

I'm interested. I can't say I blame you for any of the cuts you made, though I find it interesting you made it a point to keep Wallstreet. Of course, he's kinda forgotten for his early WCW run, and the gimmick was definitely interesting, but I get the feeling you must have something different in mind for him. I like seeing Windham in the main event, though not so much Lex Luger. I think I'd mark out for Windham taking the big gold belt and then having a feud with Flair over it. And also I'm interested to see how you present Nash, Benoit, Guerrero and those guys who are in their formative years. Just curious to see if you give them the gimmicks they're known for, or switch it up a little. Good luck man, I'd like to see you follow through on this and see where you take WCW.

I'm curious about your decision to cut Rick Rude, oddly enough, before he even made his WCW debut. Considering what a massive role he had in 1992 WCW, you're giving up on a guy who could have main evented any PPV or Clash. Bringing in Harlem Heat, but dumping '92 Rude is a massive downgrade.

The rest of your cuts aren't as bad though. Maybe you could have kept a couple of them just to be lowcarders, but who knows, that may be what you have in mind for the incoming Benoit, Guerrero, and Douglas.

If Jim Cornette is on creative, I assume that means SMW isn't a thing. Ideally, that means Stan Lane returning to WCW.

I take it the US Tag Titles aren't a thing anymore, but who is the US Champion?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm curious about your decision to cut Rick Rude, oddly enough, before he even made his WCW debut. Considering what a massive role he had in 1992 WCW, you're giving up on a guy who could have main evented any PPV or Clash. Bringing in Harlem Heat, but dumping '92 Rude is a massive downgrade.

The rest of your cuts aren't as bad though. Maybe you could have kept a couple of them just to be lowcarders, but who knows, that may be what you have in mind for the incoming Benoit, Guerrero, and Douglas.

If Jim Cornette is on creative, I assume that means SMW isn't a thing. Ideally, that means Stan Lane returning to WCW.

I take it the US Tag Titles aren't a thing anymore, but who is the US Champion?
    Speaking for Cornette lol...yeah SMW is not a thing, because Corny's biggest reason for leaving WCW is that he hated Jim Herd. So that is why I stressed that in the spring of 1991, Jim Herd was fired, so all in all Cornette would most likely had still been there. You definitely took the words out of my mouth about Stan Lane though Rude was technically under contract in 1991 with WCW and I know he did have a huge part in 1992 with them, but I have a similar gimmick that I am going to be doing with another talent. Not to say he won't be coming in the future, but for right now, I am moving away from Rude. Harlem Heat also technically were under contract in 1991 as well, so in that case I'm moreso just speeding up their relevance, much like how I sped up the promotion of Eric Bischoff as Executive Producer. You definitely hit the nail on the head with what I plan on doing with Benoit and Guerrero though, at least in the early going. I have an idea for Benoit that I am going to push a little bit later in my project. The US tag titles aren't a thing anymore, and really by that time even in WCW...they had kind of taken a backseat in story and prevalence. It's the same reason I am not using the 6 man tag team titles either, especially since they were basically retired in November of 1991 I believe.

US Championship was something I tossed back and forth, but with the smaller roster and really only 2 hours of programming a week with a main show...I was going to build the TV Championship as the title that was the "work horse" title. I may still bring about the US Championship, I'm just hesitant to have four main titles with a product this small in size.

Thank you though man on the feedback. I'm going to be posting a recap of Starrcade 1991 that sets up my project here in the next day or so, and then off to the races with the first WCW Saturday Night. I appreciate everyone's feedback and I am looking forward to tackling this head on.

#wc4horsemen

Main Eventer

Status

Good luck man. I'll be reading.

My only sticking point is the removal of Rude. Despite your reasoning I think using Rude to put over the guy that you are going to push in his place would have been a great idea. But there is nobody more Ravishing than Rick Rude

Just give me the damn wooden spoon already!!!

Be The Booker : WWE 2012 A New Direction

Upcoming PPV

Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Good luck man. I'll be reading.

My only sticking point is the removal of Rude. Despite your reasoning I think using Rude to put over the guy that you are going to push in his place would have been a great idea. But there is nobody more Ravishing than Rick Rude
    I've actually decided to keep Rude on the roster, and Tommy Rich was the one who failed two consecutive drug tests
    At the time, Rude (in real WCW) is the WCW United States Champion, and so the WCW United States Championship will officially be reinstated on this project.

#wc4horsemen

Quote Originally Posted by Charlemm1 View Post
    Harlem Heat also technically were under contract in 1991 as well, so in that case I'm moreso just speeding up their relevance, much like how I sped up the promotion of Eric Bischoff as Executive Producer.
    I'm curious as to where you got that information since they didn't make their WCW debuts until mid 1993. At this point, they hadn't even debuted for GWF, so they have like, zero name value.

Status

Speaking for Cornette lol...yeah SMW is not a thing, because Corny's biggest reason for leaving WCW is that he hated Jim Herd. So that is why I stressed that in the spring of 1991, Jim Herd was fired, so all in all Cornette would most likely had still been there. You definitely took the words out of my mouth about Stan Lane though Rude was technically under contract in 1991 with WCW and I know he did have a huge part in 1992 with them, but I have a similar gimmick that I am going to be doing with another talent. Not to say he won't be coming in the future, but for right now, I am moving away from Rude. Harlem Heat also technically were under contract in 1991 as well, so in that case I'm moreso just speeding up their relevance, much like how I sped up the promotion of Eric Bischoff as Executive Producer. You definitely hit the nail on the head with what I plan on doing with Benoit and Guerrero though, at least in the early going. I have an idea for Benoit that I am going to push a little bit later in my project. The US tag titles aren't a thing anymore, and really by that time even in WCW...they had kind of taken a backseat in story and prevalence. It's the same reason I am not using the 6 man tag team titles either, especially since they were basically retired in November of 1991 I believe.

US Championship was something I tossed back and forth, but with the smaller roster and really only 2 hours of programming a week with a main show...I was going to build the TV Championship as the title that was the "work horse" title. I may still bring about the US Championship, I'm just hesitant to have four main titles with a product this small in size.

Thank you though man on the feedback. I'm going to be posting a recap of Starrcade 1991 that sets up my project here in the next day or so, and then off to the races with the first WCW Saturday Night. I appreciate everyone's feedback and I am looking forward to tackling this head on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I'm curious as to where you got that information since they didn't make their WCW debuts until mid 1993. At this point, they hadn't even debuted for GWF, so they have like, zero name value.
    I was under the impression that Sid recommended Heat to WCW management when he returned to WCW in '93.

ECW/WCW vs. WWF Invasion

*You heard right, it's coming back. Look for it soon in a BTB section near you*

- - - - - - -
    - XX
    The
    Antichrist of WC/nWo Immortal XX -
    - - - - - - -
    Our shoes cost more than your HOUSE. Our watches are worth more than your LIFE. Our swagger might cost you your WIFE.

Quote Originally Posted by Smarkslayer View Post
    I was under the impression that Sid recommended Heat to WCW management when he returned to WCW in '93.
    Which would make total sense since Sid very briefly had a stint with GWF in early 1993 where he got to work with Harlem Heat.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

No I completely understand that, and I apologize. I tried quoting the comment but it took me to message blocking page for some reason. But anyways, I might be wrong. I heard a shoot interview from Erik Watts when he was talking about Harlem Heat being brought in originally in late 1991. But then again, I should’ve looked at the source lol. But thanks for calling me out on it, I want this to be the best booker project I can possibly make it. So feedback good and bad is always accepted!

#wc4horsemen

Black Mass

Status

No I completely understand that, and I apologize. I tried quoting the comment but it took me to message blocking page for some reason. But anyways, I might be wrong. I heard a shoot interview from Erik Watts when he was talking about Harlem Heat being brought in originally in late 1991. But then again, I should’ve looked at the source lol. But thanks for calling me out on it, I want this to be the best booker project I can possibly make it. So feedback good and bad is always accepted!
    I personally say keep them, just use them sparingly for a while until they've had legit time to improve and make a name for themselves.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I personally say keep them, just use them sparingly for a while until they've had legit time to improve and make a name for themselves.
    Oh yes, they were going to be kind of my rookie tag team to begin with anyways. Jobbing on WCW WprldWide for the first few months at least.

#wc4horsemen

If you heard that from Watts, I imagine he just got the year wrong since Bill Watts only was brought into WCW in mid 1992 and in late 1991, Erik was still at the University of Louisville. It's certainly possible Harlem Heat almost came in at the end of 1992 since that was at the end of Bill's time in charge and Erik was now on the roster though.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

-SUNDAY DECEMBER 29, 1991-
    from Norfolk, Virginia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORMAL SINGLES MATCH

"Flyin" Brian Pillman versus Johnny B Badd
    Closing Moments
    The match is about as back and forth as it can possibly be, and is an opening match that gets the crowd up on their feet for several nearfalls. Pillman is resilient as Badd pulls out every single stop to take him down clean in the early going. Commentary sells the "never give up" attitude of "Flyin'" Brian as Badd slowly starts to switch gears to find any means necessary to pull off a victory on his Starrcade debut. Badd several times tries to use the ropes for leverage to his advantage, but the referee is quick to catch him in the act and pull him back to order. The dirty tactics backfire on Badd in a major way though when he attempts to hold onto Pillman's tights, but the flexible former NFL nose tackle is able to wrap his legs around the neck of Badd and swing him across the ring into an inverted hurricarana of sorts.

Badd holds his back in pain and is slow to get up, leaving Pillman enough time to utilize his speed advantage on Badd, bouncing off the ropes several times and dropping numerous elbows. Pillman finally finishes Badd off when he hops onto the top rope and leaps off in dramatic fashion with his signature "Air Pillman" finally knocking Badd down for good! 1...2...3! Pillman picks up the opening victory on Starrcade and secures his spot in the BattleBowl for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship!
    Spoiler:

Winner: "Flyin" Brian Pillman by pinfall in 9:11

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -

WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP #1 CONTENDERS MATCH

Jushin "Thunder" Liger versus 2 Cold Scorpio
    Closing Moments
    Just as the last match, this is high energy right from the start with both men utilizing their speed and aerial advantage to try and get the upperhand. The crowd remains on their feet for most of the match as commentary builds both these men as premier talents who are taking WCW into the future! Nearfall after nearfall goes back and forth between the two as both men scrape everything in themselves to secure their spot as #1 contender for the WCW Television Champonship against "Stunning" Steve Austin, and a spot in the 20 man battle royal later tonight. Commentary sells how both these men are leaving everything they have in the ring, but even if they can make it through this match right here, they still have to be prepared to throw everything they have at the Television Champion, "Stunning" Steve Austin later tonight.

Scorpio tries to hit a diving leg drop from the top rope, but Thunder quickly moves out of the way. Liger is quick to get back up to his feet and he darts at Scorpio slamming him down onto the mat with a running bulldog. But as Thunder goes to finally put Scorpio away, Scorpio is able to slide down Thunder's back, hit a backbreaker on the Japanese sensation, and then quickly jump onto the top turnbuckle to secure his victory with a Scorpio Splash (450 Splash) Scorpio rolls Liger up for the pinfall and the victory.
    Spoiler:

Winner: And new WCW World Television Championship #1 contender, 2 Cold Scorpio by pinfall in 12:57

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORMAL SINGLES MATCH

Ron Simmons versus Diamond Studd (w/Diamond Dallas Page and The Diamond Dolls)
    Closing Moments
    Different than the first two matches, much of this match is a test of strength and power between both Simmons and Studd. Diamond Dallas Page is outside the ring with his Diamond Dolls trying to do everything he can to rally Studd against the All American, but Simmons is relentless in his offense. Commentary builds how Simmons and Studd have been on a collision course for weeks, trying to "one up" each other and show their masculinity and brute strength against one another. "As we saw just a couple weeks ago in the arm wrestling match, Studd refuses to lose, even if he has to resort to cheating to get the upperhand. And tonight is proving to be no different with his protege DDP at ringside ready to stomp on Ron Simmons." Studd gets a small upperhand and advantage over Simmons when Page jumps onto the apron to try and distract the referee.

Simmons darts over to Page to knock him off the apron, but Studd is able to come up from behind Simmons and drop him down to the mat with a devastating belly to back suplex. Studd circles Simmons in the center of the ring, kicking him a few times as both Page and the Diamond Dolls cheer him from the outside of the ring. Studd picks Simmons up and goes to connect with his signature Diamond Death Drop, but before he can lift Simmons up, Simmons starts fighting back with everything he has punch after punch after punch. Simmons bounces off the ropes and knocks Studd down with a shoulder tackle. As soon as Studd falls down though, Simmons picks him right back up, slaps him in the face, and then slams him down to the canvas with a brutal Spinning Side Slam! Simmons goes for the cover, and picks up the win.

Spoiler:

Winner: Ron Simmons by pinfall in 8:56

After the match is over and Simmons starts to walk up the ramp to a thunderous set of cheering from the crowd, Eric Bischoff darts out onto the ramp to catch a word with Simmons. But before Bischoff can even get a question out, Simmons grabs the microphone aggressively from Bischoff and cuts a short but very powerful promo about how he "made change" with The Diamond Studd just now, and tonight he is going to "make change" on every single one of the other 19 men in the BattleBowl until his hand is raised as the new number one contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship.

"So Ric Flair this is to you. Ric, if you think you're just gonna step back into this battle royal and reclaim your throne without a fight, think again brother. Because I'm gonna give you a hell of a fight, because you nor anybody else is gonna take away the opportunity that I have deserved for a long damn time!"

Simmons drops the microphone abruptly and storms up the ramp as Bischoff stands there with a shocked look on his face as he picks up the microphone, shaking his head and having no clue what to say.

Cameras open up backstage with Missy Hyatt standing alongside the WCW World Heavyweight Champion Lex Luger in an interview segment. Missy flirts with Luger for a few moments before asking him what his strategy is going into the steel cage to end it all tonight against Barry Windham for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship. Luger arrogantly smirks at Missy and hypes himself up as the "sexiest man in the world" and that Missy doesn't even come close to "being in his league."

Luger then directs his attention to cutting a scathing promo against Barry Windham and the WCW that an "illiterate, classless, hillbilly" like Barry Windham represents. Luger criticizes Windham for never having the ability to truly "win the big one", and that the one time he did find a way to "weasel a United States Championship run" it was nothing but a fluke and an embarassment of the entire industry.

Luger builds himself as the most athletic and dominating champion there has ever been and one who has held onto his World Championship through every single obstacle that has been thrown at him from every which way. "I'm not gonna lie Missy, I'm not saying that everything I do is moral or ethical or even fair. But what I do is win. Barry, when you look in the mirror can you honestly say that you are a winner? Can you honestly say that you have the ability to carry this belt, MY BELT? I have walked out of the past two meetings between us as still the World Heavyweight Champion, and Act Three, tonight, Starrcade, the main event...is gonna be no different."

LOSER LEAVES TOWN SINGLES MATCH

Richard Morton versus Michael WallStreet
    Closing Moments
    The match starts off hot from the very beginning with both men clearly showing their hatred for one another. Commentary hypes how much this has boiled over since Michael WallStreet made his return back to WCW in the summer after a very short hiatus. "Both these men feel that they should be the one to decide the direction of The York Foundation, and Alexandra York has done everything in her power to remain completely neutral. Morton said that he held The Foundation together when WallStreet took his leave of absence and feels that WallStreet should be the one to take a backseat. But like it or not, one of these two men will be leaving Starrcade tonight without a spot in the Foundation, and quite frankly without even a WCW contract!"

Each man seems obsessed with picking up the pinfall over the other, with loads of falls that don't even hit a two count. The momentum is back and forth until Alexandra York is shown walking down the ramp with a solid leather briefcase in her clutches. She gets to ringside and watches from outside the ring as Morton smiles at her from inside the ring and embraces her presence. York stares at Morton and then gets onto the ring apron with the briefcase. The referee rushes over to stop York from getting into the ring but as the referee's back is turned trying to get York off the ring apron, she quickly slides the briefcase over to WallStreet! WallStreet smiles mischievously at York for a few seconds before quickly picking up the solid leather briefcase and bashing it over the head of Richard Morton!!! BAM! The referee turns around during the hit, but weirdly grabs his eye, acting as if he has something in his eye. WallStreet covers Morton for the pinfall and the referee quickly drops down to the canvas to make a faster than normal three count.
    Spoiler:

Winner: And still with a WCW Contract, Michael Wallstreet by pinfall in 11:41

Commentary sells the confusion of what is going on as Alexandra York stands on the apron nodding her head slowly and WallStreet jumps back up to his feet in excitement and arrogantly taunts at the laid out Richard Morton in the center of the ring. The referee staggers back up to his feet, still "rubbing his eye", as Wallstreet slowly picks up the briefcase with an evil smile and drops it at the referee's feet before sliding out of the ring and helping York softly off the ring apron. WallStreet and York make their way up the ramp as WallStreet taunts at the crowd and screams down towards the ring, "Money talks and CRAP walks" with a maniacal laugh.

The referee slides out of the ring with the briefcase and opens it up to reveal stacks of 100 dollar bills. The referee looks back and forth nervously before he closes it and darts up the ramp. "I have no clue what is going on?? What just happened? We need answers!"

NORMAL TAG TEAM MATCH

British Invasion (Dynamite Kid & Lord Steven Regal) versus The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner)
    Closing Moments
    British Invasion in the early going try to take a quick advantage over The Steiners, with Dynamite Kid coming right out of the gate with hard shots to Rick Steiner. Rick and Kid brawl around the ring as commentary builds up how cohesive of a unit and pairing this has been between Lord Steven Regal and Dynamite Kid since Kid made his WCW debut just a couple months ago, and a huge victory over The Steiners here would solidify themselves as a class A team in WCW.

The power man Scotty Steiner gets the tag and comes in with both guns blazing, wiping out Dynamite Kid with several hard clotheslines. Regal tags in and tries to utilize his technical wrestling ability, keeping Scotty Steiner grounded with a superior submission game. But Scotty refuses to tap out and he is able to use his brute strength to flip Regal over and then connect with a reverse STO to completely lay him out! Dynamite tries to break up the count as Scotty covers Regal, but Rick Steiner is right there to spear Kid through the middle ropes and to the outside of the ring! Rick pounds on Dynamite outside the ring with hard shots to the face as Scotty screams for the referee to make the count. 1...2...3!!
    Spoiler:

Winners: The Steiner Brothers by pinfall in 10:01

The Steiner Brothers pick up the victory! After the match is over, Rick Steiner quickly jumps up off of Dynamite Kid outside the ring and gets into the ring to celebrate with his brother Scotty! As The Steiner Brothers celebrate in the ring, commentary applauds Dynamite Kid and Steven Regal's effort in almost taking out what some would say is the best tag in World Championship Wrestling. Regal rolls out to the outside of the ring to assist his partner Dynamite as The Steiner slap hands with the crowd on their way up the ramp. "Folks, these two teams have been at each other's throats for weeks now, and even though The Steiners are walking out victorious tonight, I think this is far from over between these two forces."

The scene opens up backstage to show the #1 contender and challenger Barry Windham backstage in the locker room wrapping up his fists for his title match later tonight. Eric Bischoff walks in with microphone in hand ready to catch a few words about what is going through his mind as he prepares for Lex Luger tonight in the main event. Windham with a calm demeanor cuts a natural promo about how he learned many things from his father, but the one thing that stuck out more than everything else was "respect." Windham reiterates that he has not always been on the right side "of the glass", but he always had respect for everyone who deserved it that he stepped into the ring with, but that "Lex Luger doesn't deserve it." Windham mentions his hour long battles with Ric Flair and builds himself up as a stronger and wiser man since then, and that Luger has no idea what he has stepped into tonight.

Windham brings up that tonight is not just about the World Heavyweight Championship, but it is about respect, and he starts to go into detail about how he is not just going to beat Lex Luger and take his belt, but he is going to "hurt Lex Luger" and teach him the most important lifelesson that apparently he was never taught when he "came up in this business." Windham describes how he is going to bash Luger's head against every single side of the steel cage, until he makes him humble, and makes him realize who the world champion "should be", "..and that it certainly shouldn't be the man you see in the mirror Luger, when you're primpin' your pretty little face and brushin' your pretty little hair."

WCW WORLD TELEVISION CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

"Stunning" Steve Austin (c) (w/Paul E Dangerously and Madusa) versus 2 Cold Scorpio
    Closing Moments
    Both men lock up in the early going with a fresh and vibrant Steve Austin trying to make a mockery of 2 Cold Scorpio in every way possible, much to the applause and favor of Paul E and Madusa outside the ring. 2 Cold seems to be over matched in the beginning with Austin reversing everything that Scorpio threw at him, while commentary speculates that this could be a result of his stamina after a very hard fought battle earlier against Thunder Liger. But Austin was quickly and abruptly taken aback when 2 Cold Scorpio slid underneath wAustin's legs with a breath of fresh air during an irish whip, and was able to dropkick Austin into the corner, and then follow it up with an inverted DDT on the TV Champion! BAM! Austin looks at Scorpio in shock as the crowd rallies behind the underdog and commentary hypes how Austin's showboating may be costing him his WCW World Television Championship!

2 Cold sells the tiredness of having to compete for the SECOND time tonight, as Paul E tries to distract the referee. But as the referee's back is turned trying to hold Dangerously back, Steve Austin launches at 2 Cold Scorpio with his Television Championship belt. But Scorpio sees this coming and quickly ducks underneath it while also executing a drop toe hold on Austin sending him and his Championship belt flying at Dangerously's head! THE BELT MAKES CONTACT WITH PAUL E'S HEAD WHICH CAUSES PAUL E TO FLY OFF THE RING APRON!

2 Cold jumps up onto the top turnbuckle and goes to hit his signature Scorpio Splash that took out Liger earlier. Scorpio comes down, but misses the target a little bit and drives his knees into Austin's forearm. Austin screams in pain as he holds his arm and the referee quickly gets down onto his knees to check on the TV Champ. 2 Cold unfortunately knocked himself a little loopy with the botched 450 Splash as well, but as both men slowly make it up to their feet, Austin is the one who is able to drop Scorpio on the ropes with his signature "Stun Gun" with just ONE ARM! Austin's body collapses on Scorpio and the referee makes the three count on 2 Cold Scorpio.
    Spoiler:

Winner: And still WCW World Television Champion, "Stunning" Steve Austin by pinfall in 12:33

After the match is over, Madusa has to help an injured Steve Austin and Paul E Dangerously slowly back up to their feet, with commentary selling Austin's clearly painful forearm injury.

BARBED WIRE ROPE MATCH

Abdullah The Butcher versus Cactus Jack
    Closing Moments
    Even though it would be smart to start slow and work your way up, both these men must've lost that memo from the very beginning. As soon as the bell rings, Cactus Jack and Abdullah The Butcher dart at each other and start exchanging blow after blow after blow, with both Jack and Abdullah not showing any hesitation to even put their own bodies on the line. Cactus darts at Abdullah to try and tackle him into the barbed wire ropes, but Abdullah is able to flip Cactus back with a back body drop, sending Cactus crashing into the barbed wire ropes by himself! Cactus rises in pain and Abdullah pounds him into the mat viciously showing no mercy. As the match continues, even though Cactus Jack seems to be taking at least a small majority of the punishment, he refuses to stay down and just screams out like a madman at Abdullah.

Abdullah tries to pull Cactus over to the barbed wire ropes at one point, but Cactus finds a way to pull Abdullah into him and he starts to bite the big man and scrap near the barbed wire! Cactus picks Abdullah back up onto his knees and he starts scraping Abdullah's forehead and face on the barbed wire with such viciousness that Abdullah immediately starts to bleed profusely and commentary sells the devastation and pain. Both men utilize the barbed wire ropes to their advantages with both getting a pretty fair share of offense in, clearly with both men covered in blood.

But the final bell comes down when Abdullah tries to pick up Cactus, but Cactus lowblows him and then proceeds to rip off the barbed wire ropes with his bare hands and then wrap the barbed wire around the huge body of Abdullah The Butcher. Abdullah and Cactus both scream out in pain as Cactus wraps the barbed wire around Abdullah and pounds his head several times against the sharp edges of the barbed wire. Finally, Cactus hobbles over to the turnbuckle and leaps off the top rope with his signature elbow drop slamming down on top of the motionless Abdullah AND the barbed wire ropes wrapped around Abdullah's body!!!! Cactus lays on top of Abdullah as the referee makes the count and Cactus Jack is declared the winner!
    Spoiler:

Winner: Cactus Jack by pinfall in 13:55

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair is standing backstage in a very jubilant mood, pacing back and forth hyping himself up for his triumphant return in the BattleBowl for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship #1 contender spot. Eric Bischoff is standing there with a microphone in his hand about to ask Flair a question, but Flair cuts him off with a "ERIC, SHUT UP!" Flair starts to cut an excitable promo about what he gave up last summer when Lex Luger took away his pride and joy World Heavyweight Championship belt as he bounces up and down and riles himself up even more.

"So I don't care if it's Lex Luger or if it's Barry Windham tonight, because I've beaten you both, The Nature Boy Ric Flair is coming for his World Heavyweight Championship because there is only one golden stallion, slick Ric, dirtiest player in the game, sixty minute man, master of the figure four, and by god, it's the real world's champion, Ric Flair! And when you're celebrating your victory tonight with my World Heavyweight Championship belt and you feel like you're on cloud nine...know that those days are truly coming to an end! And as for Ron Simmons, you must not have looked in a mirror lately, because you can't tell me you see anything about yourself that even comes close to embodying what a real champion is supposed to look like! But if you mind your manners, respect your superior Ric Flair, and know your place, The Nature Boy might let you drive him around in his brand new...custom made Lincoln Continental! And girls...heh, tonight get ready for Space Mountain, because the ride starts tonight and ends at SuperBrawl when the limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin, son of a gun Ric Flair takes his golden baby home to his multi million dollar estate in Charlotte, North Carolina! WOOO!!!"

Flair storms off the set and Bischoff stands there with a smirk on his face and commentary builds the huge implications in the BattleBowl tonight and how The Nature Boy has put Luger, Windham, and even his challenger tonight Ron Simmons on notice!

WCW WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH

Ricky Steamboat & Dustin Rhodes (c) versus Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton (w/Madusa)
    Closing Moments
    These two teams go at it almost immediately after the bell rings with both teams getting their fair share of offense in. Even though Steamboat and Rhodes rally up the crowd behind them, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton prove their ability to operate as a cohesive almost unbreakable unit. Commentary builds the fluid nature of Anderson and Eaton, since both have had very long illustrious careers as tag team specialists in their own tag teams. Steamboat especially though refuses to stay down, no matter what Anderson and Eaton throw at him, with Steamboat consistently finding a way to kick out or get a shoulder up just in the knick of time. Throughout the match, Rhodes seems somewhat distant from Steamboat as several miscommunications allow Anderson and Eaton to develop a clear upperhand. But once Rhodes comes in it seems to be all over, as Anderson and Eaton utilize their tag team experience to connect with several double team manuevers much to the discretion of the referee in the ring.

Steamboat tries to wheel himself up to help his fellow tag team champion, but Anderson is just relentless with his vicious holds that Rhodes is barely able to catch a rope break from. Steamboat is able to get the hot tag from a beaten down and groggy Rhodes. Steamboat comes barreling in somehow someway taking a quick advantage of Eaton and Anderson. But the advantage is very short lived as Anderson catches a Steamboat flying lariat in mid air and connects with a game changing Double A Spinebuster! BAM! And as Anderson pulls the referee into the corner, Eaton utilizes the referee's back turned and proceeds to leap off the top rope in dramatic fashon with his own signature Alabama Jam (Diving Leg Drop) that wipes out Steamboat! Eaton quickly gets out of the ring and Anderson gives Rhodes one more swift kick to keep him down before leaping on top of Steamboat's body and covering him for the pinfall and victory!
    Spoiler:

Winners: And new WCW World Tag Team Champions, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton by pinfall in 16:05

After the match is over, a shocked and ecstatic Madusa quickly climbs into the ring to congratulate the NEW World Tag Team Champions, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton, bringing yet another title home to The Dangerous Alliance! Eaton and Anderson snatch the world tag team title belts from the referee and taunt at the booing crowd with them for a few moments before climbing back out of the ring with Madusa and slowly making their way up the ramp with their new straps! As Steamboat and Rhodes slowly start to come back to themselves in the ring, commentary commends Rhodes and Steamboat on their tremendous effort tonight and their forty day title reign, that should've never even happened. Steamboat is the first to stagger up to his feet as he immediately tries to assist his worn out and beaten Dustin Rhodes off the canvas. Steamboat can be heard audibly telling Rhodes that "it's okay" and that "they will get them back."

Rhodes looks at Steamboat with an extremely disappointed and distraught look. Steamboat comes in for a hug, but after just a few seconds of hugging Rhodes, "The Natural" knees Steamboat in the gut viciously and out of nowhere! Steamboat falls down to the canvas like a sack of bricks, holding his abdomen in pain. Rhodes stands there with a cold and solemn look on his face, just staring down at his tag team partner. Commentary sells the shock and seeming betrayal from Dustin Rhodes as the crowd in unison boos the second generation wrestler. Steamboat winces in pain and rolls around the ring. Rhodes goes to walk out of the ring, but instead stops dead in his tracks, turns around, and then proceeds to stomp Steamboat in his abdomen again and again and again! Rhodes finally rares back one last time and kicks Steamboat one last time in the ribs, before pausing and staring at the booing crowd, shaking his head in disgust. Rhodes climbs out of the ring and storms up the ramp and through the curtain as Steamboat screams out in pain and the referee bends over to assist Steamboat and try to bring him back up onto his feet.

BATTLEBOWL 20 MAN #1 CONTENDERS BATTLE ROYAL

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair versus Sting versus Big Van Vader versus Ron Simmons versus Scott Steiner versus Rick Steiner versus "Ravishing" Rick Rude versus "Flyin" Brian Pillman versus Terry Funk versus Marcus Alexander Bagwell versus Cactus Jack versus Arn Anderson versus Bobby Eaton versus 2 Cold Scorpio versus Big Josh versus Chris Benoit versus Tom Zenk versus Michael WallStreet versus "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin
    Elimination Moments
    Elimination #1: Big Josh and Big Van Vader double team eliminate
    Spoiler:

Chris Benoit

Elimination #2: Big Van Vader eliminates
    Spoiler:

Big Josh

Elimination #3: Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton double team eliminate
    Spoiler:

Tom Zenk

Elimination #4: Big Van Vader eliminates
    Spoiler:

Jimmy Garvin

Elimination #5: Brian Pillman eliminates
    Spoiler:

Marcus Alexander Bagwell

Elimination #6: Terry Funk eliminates
    Spoiler:

Michael WallStreet

Elimination #7: Big Van Vader eliminates
    Spoiler:

Shane Douglas

Elimination #8: Ric Flair eliminates
    Spoiler:

Scott Steiner

Elimination #9 and #10: Cactus Jack and Terry Funk
    Spoiler:

eliminate each other after Cactus Jack clotheslines Terry Funk over the top rope, and comes crashing down to the outside with him

Elimination #11: Brian Pillman eliminates
    Spoiler:

2 Cold Scorpio

Elimination #12: Rick Steiner eliminates
    Spoiler:

Bobby Eaton

Elimination #13: Rick Rude eliminates
    Spoiler:

Rick Steiner

Elimination #14: Ric Flair eliminates
    Spoiler:

Brian Pillman

Elimination #15: Big Van Vader eliminates
    Spoiler:

Arn Anderson

Elimination #16: Ron Simmons eliminates
    Spoiler:

Ric Flair

Elimination #17: Ron Simmons bounces off ropes to hit a clothesline on Big Van Vader, but as he comes to the ropes a furious and crazed Ric Flair pulls the top rope down, flipping Simmons over the top rope and to the outside of the ring to get himself eliminated. Simmons lies outside the ring with a shocked look on his face as several members of security rush to ringside to try and restrain and take back a fuming and hyper Ric Flair, clearly being very upset about his elimination from Ron Simmons. As security is taking Flair to the back though, a raging Ron Simmons jumps back up to his feet and darts at Flair and security! Simmons leaps over top of security and starts exchanging stiff blows with The Nature Boy on the ramp!! The two start brawling on the ramp, both completely out of their minds and hellbent on getting revenge for their eliminations! Security is finally able to pull the two apart and Simmons is taken through the east corridor in the arena and Flair is taken out through the west corridor in the arena.

Elimination #18: Sting eliminates
    Spoiler:

Big Van Vader

Elimination #19: After Sting is able to lift Big Van Vader over the top rope and to the outside, Rude and Sting lock eyes and they start to circle around each other. Commentary builds up how after Sting came back from his injury, he has done everything he can to stop Rick Rude and The Dangerous Alliance, so it is only fitting how it has came down to these two men. After just a few short moments of a stare down, Rick Rude and Sting dart at each other and start exchanging blows, both trying to take an upperhand to get the other over the top rope. Rude lowblows Sting to break his momentum and then starts mocking him and slapping him across the face a few times. Rude kicks at Sting a few times in the gut and then bounces off the ropes to finish him off with a clothesline over the top rope. But as Rude gets to Sting, the former World Champion is able to duck underneath the clothesline and then follow up with a dropkick to Rude's back, sending him falling over the top rope and to the outside of the ring!
    Spoiler:

Winner: And the new #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, Sting in 25:44

Sting celebrates with the riotous crowd in attendance as commentary builds up how huge of a moment this is for Sting as he is now the sole #1 contender for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship! Backstage interviewer Eric Bischoff runs out to the ring to catch a word with the BattleBowl winner and #1 contender as Sting continues to hype up the crowd in the middle of the ring. Bischoff is quick to ask a winded but enthusiastic Sting how he feels knowing that he is now the number one contender and he outlasted 19 other men here tonight to earn that opportunity. Sting with a huge babyface grin tells Bischoff that this is the greatest he has ever felt and builds how this is truly redemption and a mountain breaker in it's purest form. Sting cuts a promo about how he didn't know if he would ever get back to the top of the mountain again, but the fans believed in him and gave him all the strength he needed to secure that spot, and that they are headed to SuperBrawl to bring home the World Heavyweight Championship to all the "Stingers" that believed in him and gave him this opportunity.

The crowd applauds the tenacity of Sting as Bischoff switches gears and asks Sting if he has any preference of who he faces now that we are going into our main event. Sting chuckles to himself and explains that he has a ton of respect for Barry Windham and all that he has done in his career and builds up how Windham is a former champion himself, but even though Lex might not be everyone in the audience's "favorite guy", there is no bigger honor that he could think of than to let bygones be bygones and to have the opportunity to share the main event stage for the richest prize in our business with his friend Lex Luger. The crowd boos at the mentioning of Luger's name, but Sting just laughs it off and grabs the microphone away from Bischoff with his signature wide eyes,

"BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER, BECAUSE IN TWO MONTHS ALL MY STINGERS AND I ARE GONNA BECOME A TWO TIME WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION!!! IT'LL BE SHOWTIME FOLKS!!"

WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP STEEL CAGE MATCH

"The Total Package" Lex Luger (c) versus Barry Windham
    Key Moments
    The match is a classic right from the start with both men locking up several times in the early going and the babyface Windham taking an early advantage over the world champion. Windham utilizes his strength to throw Luger around the ring, and with the steel cage, Luger is forced to face Windham head on. Commentary sell how personal this has gotten ever since Luger won the World Heavyweight Championship over the summer against Ric Flair, and that Windham has promised to not leave Starrcade tonight without the belt. Luger tries to escape the cage in the early going, but Windham is right there to yank him off and utilize the cage to his advantage, throwing Luger face first against each side of the solid steel cage. Commentary builds how both men refuse to stay down and lose, and that they are fighting with everything they have to secure their victory.

The first blood spot of the match happens when Windham is about to connect with his signature superplex, but Luger desperately rakes Windham in the eyes and then proceeds to scrape Windham's forehead on the steel cage several times, causing Windham's forehead to bust open. Luger completely exhausted falls back into the corner to try and revive himself, but a bloodied Windham is ironically the first one to make it up to his feet and he charges at Luger with a last ditch diving lariat that completely wipes out the World Champion!!! Windham lies in the center of the ring trying to wheel himself back up to his feet as commentary sells the sacrifices both men have given up in this match. Windham struggles up to his feet and starts to slowly climb up the steel cage in an effort to climb out of the steel cage. Commentary hypes the huge moment, selling that we may now have a new WCW World Heavyweight Champion!

But after Windham is a little over halfway up the cage, Lex Luger starts to move around a little bit on the mat, clearly running on nothing but fumes at this point. Luger starts to climb up after a struggling Windham, finally able to clinch onto Windham's leg and hold it down so he can't climb over. Windham teeters almost on the top of the cage, but Luger is right behind him finding a way to wrap his own leg over the top of the cage halfway on the other side. Windham out of desperation starts striking Luger viciously in the face, trying to pull him back in. But Luger is able struggle away somehow and pull his other leg over the top of the cage. Luger now completely on the outside part of the cage just has to climb down now.

But as he slowly climbs down, Windham holds onto Luger with all his might to try and drag him back over the top of the cage and into the inside of the ring. The two exchange blows until Luger just tries to jump off the middle of the cage to the outside of the ring, but Windham desperately grabs Luger by his hair and tries to pull him back over the cage. Luger's legs are dangling off the steel cage as he tries to break free from Windham's hair clutch, swinging his arms wildly trying to find any way he can to make contact on Barry.

Windham desperately pulls on Luger's hair with all his might, but the final blow comes when Luger is able to connect with a punch that knocks Windham back a little bit and just enough to release the clutch on Luger's hair. Luger falls off the outside of the cage and to the cement at ringside, thus escaping the cage and securing his spot as the reigning and defending WCW World Heavyweight Champion!
    Spoiler:

Winner: And still the WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Lex Luger by escaping the cage in 40:11

WCW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING presented by;

© TURNER SPORTS, 1991
    Last edited by Charlemm1; 05-30-2018 at 03:43 AM.

#wc4horsemen

Mid-Card Champion

Status

::WCW WORLDWIDE EPISODE ONE::

-FRIDAY JANUARY 3, 1992-

from Atlanta, Georgia
    HOSTED BY, Eric Bischoff & "The American Dream" Dusty Rhodes

OOC: These will be more of a smaller recap show, since they are designated for syndicate programming. The shows that really move along the stories and push towards the direction of the company will be the PPVs obviously, the Clashes, and then of course the weekly "A show" WCW Saturday Night.

NORMAL SINGLES MATCH

Chris Benoit defeated Eddie Guerrero via pinfall after a flying headbutt at 9:01

Missy Hyatt runs out to the ring to try and get a word with the vicious Chris Benoit, but Benoit just looks at Hyatt with a cold and solemn look on his face before he storms away from the confused Missy Hyatt without even saying one word.

NORMAL TAG TEAM MATCH

The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) defeated Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) via pinfall after a diving bulldog at 8:43.

After the match, Rick Steiner snatches a microphone from the ring announcer David Penzer and cuts a promo on the new WCW World Tag Team Champions, Arn Anderson and "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton that they are no longer going to just "wait for their shot", but that they are going to "take it by any means necessary." Steiner demands that the new World Tag Team Champions come out and put their titles on the line against them right here, right now! Even though the crowd pops with excitement, Arn Anderson nor Bobby Eaton make their way out to face The Steiners. Rick shakes his head in disgust and ends his promo by telling The Dangerous Alliance that they "can't run forever!"

RECAP MUSIC VIDEO OF THE BIG MOMENTS FROM WCW STARRCADE 1991

The video package highlights all the big moments from Starrcade including Alexandra York's betrayal of Richard Morton, Lex Luger desperately scraping away with a successful title defense, and Sting declared as the new #1 Contender! The package revolves greatly around the suspense of Sting and Luger being best friends and now opponents for the coveted WCW World Heavyweight Championship belt at WCW SuperBrawl II!

NON-TITLE SINGLES MATCH

"Ravishing" Rick Rude (w/Paul E Dangerously and Madusa) defeated Marcus Alexander Bagwell via pinfall after a Rude Awakening at 10:55.

Before the match, the WCW United States Champion "Ravishing" Rick Rude struts out with both Paul E Dangerously and Madusa, while holding his WCW United States Championship belt high in the air, taunts at the booing crowd. Rude gets into the ring and cuts a promo about how he thinks it is the biggest travesty in professional wrestling history that the greatest physical specimen in the world today was SCREWED in the BattleBowl with a cheapshot by the man the entire world likes to refer to as, "Mr. WCW". Rude builds himself up as the man who "beat Mr. WCW Sting within an inch of his life 47 days ago when he became the WCW United States Champion!" Rude demands that the management in WCW start respecting him and that they start giving him the opportunities that he deserves. Rude announces that he doesn't care who it is, but he is giving "anyone in the back" their chance of making history by inching away with the upset of a century by somehow finding a way to pin the shoulders of the greatest professional wrestler in the world today. Marcus Alexander Bagwell is the one to oblige the challenge and he comes out to face Rude, who is standing there laughing and making jokes about Bagwell's ability with Paul E and Madusa.
    WCW WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING presented by;

© TURNER SPORTS, 1992

Last edited by Charlemm1; 05-31-2018 at 04:01 AM.

#wc4horsemen

Black Mass

Status

Starrcade 1991 review:

- Good choice on the two opening matches, they sound like ideal matchups to really pull the crowd into the show. Flyin Brian is always regarded as one of the most underrated wrestlers ever so I have high hopes for him in this project.
    - Liger vs. Scorpio is a cool match and well written to show how much the TV Title means to both of them, I think you chose the right winner.
    - Early 90s Ron Simmons is one of my favorites. Wish his WCW World Title reign was longer and more prolific but it's still fun to look back on. He reminded me of a more legit Hogan. Less goofy and over the top but represented many of the same values and brought that extra toughness. Good to see him get some mic time after the match, I take that as a sign you want him to be a major player.
    - Good promo for Luger. I still don't care for the guy but like Kevin Nash in EZ3’s project, as long as you give him good material, I'll put my bias aside.
    - Interesting booking for the Wallstreet vs Morton match. I'd personally like some tweaks to Wallstreet to differentiate him from The Million Dollar Man who he seemed to resemble heavily here.
    - The old school Steiner Bros rule.
    - Nice promo from Windham too, which really sets him up nicely as the no nonsense, determined challenger. Way to portray the rivalry as very personal too.
    - Fun little TV Title match with Austin working the devious heel. Scorpio came very close, I'm wondering if he'll manage to get another shot at the gold.
    - Brutal match between Cactus and Abdullah as expected. I just don't know if there's much good that comes from having Abdullah on the roster as his character as well as his in ring abilities are quite limited. I can't think of many other superstars I can envision him battling that would catch my interest. I do hope Cactus gets a proper push and some more character development and opportunities to compete in non-hardcore scenarios.
    - Flair promos are always magnificent and I feel like you captured his delivery pretty much perfectly. Interesting that he addressed Ron Simmons as well. Is Simmons a heel at this point? Just wondering. Anyways, the Battle Bowl should be fun.
    - BattleBowl notes: Nice to see Vader dominate. Cactus and Funk feud coming soon I feel like. Happy also that Flyin Brian got a little shine. Shocked to see Simmons take out Flair but I like it. Good swerve. The brawl afterwards is very nice and it's good to see you're going the direction of a full blown feud between these two. Sting winning is awesome, he's one of my top 5 favorites ever honestly.
    - Main event was fun, had some good spots and a nice ending (other than Luger retaining lol) but I refuse to believe Luger worked a 40 minute match and it wasn't complete dogshit In all seriousness, it was good, big match to cap off a big event.

In summary I thought this was a great event to start off with. You planted the seeds for several feuds I am eager to see take place and seemingly started building a few other guys that I have high hopes for. To me the MVPs of the night were Simmons and Flair who I am all in on seeing destroy each other. I am also really curious how Vader and The Dangerous Alliance are used going forward because both are obviously big parts of WCW but this event didn't really shed any light on what their future holds. Sting vs. Luger will be an interesting main event feud to follow but I'm wondering if Windham is ready to accept this loss and move on. All in all, enjoyable show, and I look forward to future events.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

December 30 1991
    -
    1. Abdullah The Butcher suffered an injury to his lower abdomen during the "Barbed Wire Rope Match" against Cactus Jack last night at Starrcade. It is unknown how long Abdullah will be out of action, but preliminary reports are saying at least 16-19 weeks.

December 31 1991 -
    1. World Championship Wrestling have released and came to terms with the following talent: Abdullah The Butcher, Richard Morton, Matt "Big Josh" Borne, and "Gorgeous" Jimmy Garvin.
    2. "WCW Power Hour" will be taking on the role of a weekly one hour Saturday morning broadcast in syndication with weekly recaps, interviews, and a bonus match. The Power Hour will be hosted by WCW commentator and wrestling legend Larry Zbyszko and WCW Executive Producer and interviewer/commentator, Eric Bischoff.

Last edited by Charlemm1; 06-07-2018 at 04:49 AM.

#wc4horsemen

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

Obviously I'm a big fan of the company and the era, so I'll be keeping an eye on this one. I'll be interested to see where you take things.

I'm a stickler for reality (as you could probably tell from my completely excessive use of rules in my BTB!), so personally I would prefer if the likes of Eddie and Harlem Heat weren't in this. I like to see what people can do with the talent at their disposal, so I hope they stay essentially as jobbers for a few years.

Anyway, Starrcade.

The first two matches were great, I imagine they'd have popped a 1991 audience huge.

Looks like Simmons might be in line for a big push, and rightly so. It's easy to remember him as Faarooq, but Simmons was fire early on. WCW killed him by putting the title on him when he clearly wasn't the guy to carry the company, but as an upper-midcarder, challenger-of-the-month type, he's got a lot of value.

Ricky Morton's a legend, but it's the right call to send him packing. He doesn't offer much as a singles guy, especially in 1991, whereas Wallstreet is a fine midcard guy.

Steiners going over is the right call too, and I'm interested to see where you take them. IIRC, WCW wanted to push Scott to the moon, but he wanted to carry on tagging with his brother. How you handle that will be fascinating, as they are (in my eyes) possibly the greatest tag team in history.

Austin and Cactus going over was the right call in both, and they'd have been great matches I'm sure. As with the Steiners, I'm interested to see how you manage them going forward. Everyone knows how much of a future they have, but both are a few years from being ready to be top guys, and I hope you're patient with them. From my BTB you can probably tell how much of a Hollywood Blonds mark I was, but they only came together because WCW got cold feet on them both. So what do you do? Push Pillman and Austin separately, or slow them down and put them together, and in the process create a team with opportunity to be GOAT?

Great Flair promo. You write all the promos really well, and hoping we saw more of them during Saturday Night (which I understand you just recapping, but would love to see some in detail promos given how well you do them.

Arn and Eaton were a great, under-rated team back in the day, so happy to see the belts on them. Dustin can only benefit from working with Steamboat a little longer, but the Dragon's a great guy to have in the locker for a shove up the card whenever you need. Really, as long as you don't turn him heel, he can do whatever you need him to do.

I'd have liked to see more detail on the battle royal. I appreciate that it's hard when there's so many people and so much going on, but I'd have liked to really get a sense of how dominate Vader was throughout, and all the intersecting threads throughout. Sting going over at the end is the right call though. He's the man during this period and I hope you build the company around him and Vader. Their rivalry IRL is one of my all time favourites.

Luger and Windham obviously you had to do given you're having to follow a little of what they did for the time being, but hopefully we move on now. Luger and Windham could both be great with the right partner, but when you have Flair, Rude, Sting and Vader I hope we see someone else elevated to the top. It was very well written, with the right man going on, so all good at the moment. But 40 minutes?! How did Luger not keel over and die from exhaustion?! Actually, how long was the show?! 10 matches, pretty much all over 10 minutes, a 25 minute match, a 40 minute match... and I thought Wrestlemania was long! Ha!

All jokes aside, a solid start with some good booking calls and well-written matches and especially promos. I'll be following!

Thread Information