Thread: Prequel vs Sequel debate?

I Want It All!

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Prequel vs Sequel debate?

I've been wondering for the longest time from others, what can you deal with more a Sequel to a film or a Prequel. Now over the years we've seen plenty of films dive into either side of the Coin especially Star Wars and people are divided on whether they were great films or not. I mean when it comes to the Prequel aspect I love them if done in the right and I can say that the Prequels for Star Wars I love them. It gave me alot more lore into the franchise and yeah it does have it's problems in Episodes 1 through 3, and Rogue One is a treasure to this point but overall I love them.

Now I can say positives about that franchise when it comes to the Prequels, but I can't give the same respect to let's say to the Hobbit/Lord of the Ring franchise. I mean I love Lord of the Rings and a year ago I read all the Books for the first time, and to me the Hobbit films had their moments, but I feel like some of the films didn't hit that Home Run like that was done in the Lord of the Ring books. I hope that Series gets the taste outta my mouth, because the last film in the Hobbit film had me shaking my head.

When it comes to the Sequel we've seen Movies come back with a Sequel and fall flat on their asses because they thought the magic that was captured in their first film, that it was going to happen in the Sequel many years later. I'm talking about Dumb and Dumber as just as an example, the first film was fucking great, but many years later the Sequel was no where near the greatness of that Comedy from 1994. It's a touchy situation because I just named a film that wasn't good from their Sequel even with the time lapse, but two films that that wasn't the problem was Terminator 2 and Godfather Part 2. Both Terminator 2 and Godfather Part 2 in my opinion are better films than their previous films and they got everything right and took it to the next level. So with that my questions our as follows: which can you handle better when it comes to Movie watching a Prequel or Sequel, and your thoughts on Prequels an Sequels over the years when it comes to Movies especially.
    Last edited by Sadio HoHo; 05-27-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Prequel vs Sequel debate?

I think it depends on how the original story starts and ends. Some films you can't do a prequel to so you'll need to go to a sequel for that reason, and vise-versa.

Personally I don't mind either as long as it adds to the franchise. Just doing a prequel/sequel just for the sake of drawing it out a bit more isn't for me, then again there are films that i'd love to see a prequel/sequel too that will never happen though haha.
    I have a plan so cunning......

I Want It All!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I think it depends on how the original story starts and ends. Some films you can't do a prequel to so you'll need to go to a sequel for that reason, and vise-versa.

Personally I don't mind either as long as it adds to the franchise. Just doing a prequel/sequel just for the sake of drawing it out a bit more isn't for me, then again there are films that i'd love to see a prequel/sequel too that will never happen though haha.
    Yeah I hate those types of franchise and the Transformer films have turned into since the first film. I personally liked the first one and the third, but they have gotten way off the rails now and it doesn't seem like anything, but a cash grab and it's funny because they are making a killing overseas vs the US. Wait though they have a Bumble Bee Prequel coming lolz and I heard they are scrapping Transformers 7

Real Women of Genius

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

At the risk of a shitty answer, it depends really on a case by case basis.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    Yeah I hate those types of franchise and the Transformer films have turned into since the first film. I personally liked the first one and the third, but they have gotten way off the rails now and it doesn't seem like anything, but a cash grab and it's funny because they are making a killing overseas vs the US. Wait though they have a Bumble Bee Prequel coming lolz and I heard they are scrapping Transformers 7
    Then you got the likes of Fast and Furious that's on what film 8 now? Oh and the horrid Final Destination
    I have a plan so cunning......

Jobber

Status

Karate Kid II was better than the first. III was nothing to write home about but often the third movie isn't. Ninja Turtles III was was pretty good on the action side though I get people not being too keen on the plot.
    Follow me on Twitter @libsuperstar

I Want It All!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Then you got the likes of Fast and Furious that's on what film 8 now? Oh and the horrid Final Destination
    I actually like the Fast and Furious Franchise, and even though it went off the grid with the antics that aren't scientifically possible at they are still fun to watch for me. Remember it was just a Racing version of Point Break, and after Tokyo Drift they really turned the corner especially when the Rock showed up and the only thing that hurts it, is that death is not worth a damn in these films. Letty comes back from the grave, and somehow Han and Gisele can't come back unless Vin Diesel is planning to bring them back by the 10th film. On the side of Final Destination I never was into those films seen the first one and I heard one of them goes back to the first one, but nah not really a fan of those films. ^Yeah Karate Kid 2 I love just as much as the first film, Daniel wasn't fighting for a Trophy he was fighting for his life!

Real Women of Genius

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

Now I can say positives about that franchise when it comes to the Prequels, but I can't give the same respect to let's say to the Hobbit/Lord of the Ring franchise. I mean I love Lord of the Rings and a year ago I read all the Books for the first time, and to me the Hobbit films had their moments, but I feel like some of the films didn't hit that Home Run like that was done in the Lord of the Ring books. I hope that Series gets the taste outta my mouth, because the last film in the Hobbit film had me shaking my head.
    The Hobbit is not the prequel to LOTR, LOTR is the sequel to The Hobbit. It doesn't matter that the latest adaption of the novels filmed them in a different order, the novels are what's key and The Hobbit was a stand alone novel for well over a decade before the first volume of LOTR was published.

The list of good prequels is much shorter than the list of good sequels.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo
    I actually like the Fast and Furious Franchise, and even though it went off the grid with the antics that aren't scientifically possible at they are still fun to watch for me. Remember it was just a Racing version of Point Break, and after Tokyo Drift they really turned the corner especially when the Rock showed up and the only thing that hurts it, is that death is not worth a damn in these films. Letty comes back from the grave, and somehow Han and Gisele can't come back unless Vin Diesel is planning to bring them back by the 10th film. On the side of Final Destination I never was into those films seen the first one and I heard one of them goes back to the first one, but nah not really a fan of those films. ^Yeah Karate Kid 2 I love just as much as the first film, Daniel wasn't fighting for a Trophy he was fighting for his life!
    The Daniel-Chozen end fight was epic.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    At the risk of a shitty answer, it depends really on a case by case basis.
    It's not a shitty answer, it's the right one. This is such a silly question to be debating because it's totally down to the individual movies. There's no rule that says one has to be better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    Karate Kid II was better than the first. III was nothing to write home about but often the third movie isn't. Ninja Turtles III was was pretty good on the action side though I get people not being too keen on the plot.
    The problem with Karate Kid II is that Daniel is so clearly OP by that point that his victory is never in doubt. At least in the first one you can actually believe he could lose the final fight. I honestly can't see any argument that the second one is better although I will say that I enjoyed it for what it was. The switch to Japan was nice, the girl was pretty cute and I liked the Miyagi/Sato backstory as well.

Daniel wasn't fighting for a Trophy he was fighting for his life!
    Except, again, you know damn well he's not going to lose that fight because of how OP he was made in the movie prior to it. The dude broke something like 6 ice blocks halfway through the movie and you honestly think he's going to lose to some geek that gets distracted by people banging little drums?

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

I Want It All!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    It's not a shitty answer, it's the right one. This is such a silly question to be debating because it's totally down to the individual movies. There's no rule that says one has to be better than the other.

The problem with Karate Kid II is that Daniel is so clearly OP by that point that his victory is never in doubt. At least in the first one you can actually believe he could lose the final fight. I honestly can't see any argument that the second one is better although I will say that I enjoyed it for what it was. The switch to Japan was nice, the girl was pretty cute and I liked the Miyagi/Sato backstory as well.

Except, again, you know damn well he's not going to lose that fight because of how OP he was made in the movie prior to it. The dude broke something like 6 ice blocks halfway through the movie and you honestly think he's going to lose to some geek that gets distracted by people banging little drums?
    Oh I knew he was going to win Daniel that is, but still it was the toughest challenge more so than Johnny and that bobohead in the third film whatever he name was it's escaping me at the moment my opinion. I think at the time Daniel is dealing with you know finishing High School, Allie leaving for a Jock which makes no sense considering she got away from a Jock before in Johnny, and Daniel feeling lost in life wondering what he should do in life. I think the second film in my opinion is perfection and I would love to see some of those characters come back for Cobra Kai the Show in some way.

Real Women of Genius

Last Real Man Hype

Status

And then obviously you have The Godfather: Part II which serves as possibly both the best prequel and sequel ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

I Want It All!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    And then obviously you have The Godfather: Part II which serves as possibly both the best prequel and sequel ever.
    I'm glad you brought that up because when they go back to the old country in Part 2 it really makes the film for me finding out more about the original Godfather and how his life came to be.

Real Women of Genius

Jobber

Status

Oh I knew he was going to win Daniel that is, but still it was the toughest challenge more so than Johnny and that bobohead in the third film whatever he name was it's escaping me at the moment my opinion. I think at the time Daniel is dealing with you know finishing High School, Allie leaving for a Jock which makes no sense considering she got away from a Jock before in Johnny, and Daniel feeling lost in life wondering what he should do in life. I think the second film in my opinion is perfection and I would love to see some of those characters come back for Cobra Kai the Show in some way.
    His name was Mike but that's why I don't understand why they made Daniel cower to him. I get he was the underdog but still...

I Want It All!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    His name was Mike but that's why I don't understand why they made Daniel cower to him. I get he was the underdog but still...
    I mean Mike was crazier than Johnny. He was willing to let go of that Rope off the Cliff to get Daniel to sign the Paper to fight in the All Valley Tournament.

Real Women of Genius

Thread Information