Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: The UK and Ireland Politics Thread

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: The UK and Ireland Politics Thread

My eyes must be playing tricks on me....Tories want to abolish the BBC licencsing fee.....and replace it with a subscription fee so you can choose to use it if you wish. I'm all for that.
    I have a plan so cunning......

[Speak Like A Child]

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    My eyes must be playing tricks on me....Tories want to abolish the BBC licencsing fee.....and replace it with a subscription fee so you can choose to use it if you wish. I'm all for that.
    Makes sense in the modern world, gotta wonder about the affect it'll have on BBC programming going forward though. Immediate reaction will be to slice some of those big salaries and everyone jumps ship to ITV/Channel 4/Sky

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Makes sense in the modern world, gotta wonder about the affect it'll have on BBC programming going forward though. Immediate reaction will be to slice some of those big salaries and everyone jumps ship to ITV/Channel 4/Sky

Can't remember if it was the Tories or a member of the Beeb but it said they'd reduce the number of channels (Both TV and Radio), scale back the website due to how much it costs to run it, and only one job for employees instead of 2/3 or whatever they do.

[Speak Like A Child]

Status

Can't remember if it was the Tories or a member of the Beeb but it said they'd reduce the number of channels (Both TV and Radio), scale back the website due to how much it costs to run it, and only one job for employees instead of 2/3 or whatever they do.
    Tbf, Lineker's the highest paid presenter on the Beeb (I believe), and even he's in favour of it, so maybe it can't be as bad for them as I'm making out.

From personal experience, I ditched the TV license for a 6 month period last year, and whilst I could live without iPlayer, it was the knock-on effect of not being able to watch live TV on other channels that saw me come back, especially when I started having broadband trouble.

It's definitely something I don't need 365 days a year, my main reason for returning would be big sporting events, which some under law have to be free anyway. Basically what I'm saying is I can completely understand why the current model needs to change.

Last edited by Postman Dave; 02-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Heel Champion

Status

I rarely use the BBC channels so would make a difference for me, and when I do it's on catch up but i'm sure I can live without if it's not worth paying for. If these all goes ahead i'll see what kind of thing they come out with before making a call, it's great people will now have the choice however.

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Just put fucking adverts on it.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Just put fucking adverts on it.
    That's too easy for them. If they'd have done that years ago a lot of PL football may be on such channels haha.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Le Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I refuse to pay a yearly TV license for something I'd barely use. If they adopted a subscription type model I'd be more likely to pay that. I've missed out on the two most recent Louis Theroux documentaries and the recent series of Inside No 9 (I'll find it somewhere soon I hope). Oh also missed the recent series of The Apprentice.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

didnt we vote no to save our bbc

edit: rishi sunak is also a loser
    Last edited by RainShaker; 02-18-2020 at 02:54 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-51332811

Love a good story. Company owner put all of his employees on $70K & the company grew. Who knew?

(case of the world we live in that im still weary this is somehow fake.)

EDIT: I had originally read this through the BBC UK twitter and hadnt realized it was an american company so wrong thread?
    Last edited by Todd Chavez; 02-28-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    Todd Chavez: I'm deeply sad and nothing can make me happy.

Also, eat the rich.

[Speak Like A Child]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-51332811

Love a good story. Company owner put all of his employees on $70K & the company grew. Who knew?

(case of the world we live in that im still weary this is somehow fake.)

EDIT: I had originally read this through the BBC UK twitter and hadnt realized it was an american company so wrong thread?
    I was wondering why it was in this thread.

But yeah, love a story like this. Someone who gets by through not adhering to conventional business practice is always a ray of light

Status

trickle up economy motherfuckers

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

So Boris Johnson's a dad again. Congrats to him.

Priti Patel's about to get sacked again. Congrats to her.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Then the virus is going to shut down the country for a few weeks :/

Status

Then the virus is going to shut down the country for a few weeks :/
    It's alright, we will annihilate the coronavirus with the same vigor that the empire used to conquer the world many moons ago! BULLDOG SPIRIT IS THE VACCINE!

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Status

Easy to miss with the coronavirus stuff happening (being handled shockingly by the Government IMO) but Alex Salmond's trial is happening right now. His defence has been interesting. I've been reading up on some things posted by an observer. Their opinion so far seems to be that alot of the accusations wouldn't be considered 'sexual harrassment' in street terms but may be in legal terms. Also thinks that several of the women are either lying or the direct witnesses are. Thinks the judge has been very fair. The prosecutor is doing a good job as are the defence. Just from reading reports, I think the defence is edging it. These sort of cases with physical evidence are a fucking nightmare to get prosecutions on though. Alot of this can come down to witnesses and I think the defence has some good ones that cast some doubt on some accusations.

Going to be an extremely interesting verdict.

One takeaway is that Sturgeon DID know about the allegations before the day she stated she found out.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Curtain Jerker

Status

Salmond will survive but there's no way he's getting back into the front line of politics.

Shame because as a first minister, I thought he did a lot of good for Scotland and certainty has set the path for eventual independence, whenever that may happen.

Status

Salmond found not guilty and not proven on all counts.

I have to say that this is going to cause a wedge to be driven between independence supporters.

My personal opinion is that there was no intent to sexually harass anyone involved in the incidents and I would hardly qualify the allegations as that. What I do think needs checked out is why someone, who very clearly was not at the Bute House dinner, decided to accuse him of trying to perpetrate an extremely hideous crime at said dinner.

I can see people calling conspiracy and it's going to be very hard for Salmond supporters to look past that following what's happened in court. Also think those who pinned him as guilty and insulted him should really get their head on straight and learn what innocent until proven guilty means. No matter who was facing those allegations, they were never going down for it. I'm not a victim blamer or shamer and every victim deserves to be believed but some of these allegations have no witnesses, took place in public places (infront of people allegedly) and seem to be stretching big time. Truly shocking if people genuinely think Salmond should be going down for this now. They either don't read or are bias.

I remember discussion about Salmond and an airport in here. Didn't see any of it mentioned in the Court reports though... you'd think, if it was true, that the Prosecution would be using that. Could've missed it though in my read ups.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

i have scottish friends who knows girls who have had Salmond grope/be a creep to them. It's second half stuff but still, I think he's got away with some gross stuff here

Status

I implore anyone to read Craig Murray's reports of the trial if they're interested.

I don't know if he's totally innocent (actually by his own admittance, he's not squeaky clean) but the big accusation of the attempted rape is very clearly a fabrication. It didn't help the prosecution whatsoever that it was established that one of the accusers had contacted all the others prior to the charges being brought against Salmond either.

And I really don't know if I feel he 'got away with it' or any notion like that after reading some reports of what happened in the court. Infact, I'm very nearly sure I would've quite annoyed had he been convicted. Not because I believed he was innocent or anything to do with my personal opinion of the man but because of reading the aforementioned reports. This case, originally, seemed to be about a he said/she said kind of deal but it developed rapidly, in court, into establishing facts and third parties, independent who very much cast doubt over a lot of the accusers. Obviously there will be conspiracies about being paid off and shit.

Tell you what though... I find it incredibly interesting the jury had 9 women on it. Same number of accusers. They're also from a No voting area so I think any political angle is weird to play if people go for that.

It's going to be really interesting to see political fallout from this. Maybe covid will sweep it away.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread Information