Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The UK and Ireland Politics Thread

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Re: The UK and Ireland Politics Thread

Can't wait for more Tory fuckery. I have my doubts a GE will be called, especially if Boris gets the job.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Baldwin View Post
    Can't wait for more Tory fuckery. I have my doubts a GE will be called, especially if Boris gets the job.

There will be no choice but to call one I think. May herself never got in via an actual election either though so who knows? But after the European results are given, I think one would need to be called. Would be quite an interesting election tbh. The result of it would probably push for voting reform, actually, as I doubt any party would have a majority (It'd be CON/BREX vs LAB/LIB/SNP pretty much).

I see that some sort of war veteran got milkshake (or hit with yoghurt as it looks)... and there's some sort of debate about this being faked? Surely not?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Heel Champion

Status

Lib Dem/SNP/Green coalition is something I can get behind. I think this Brexit mess will have a massive impact on any result the conservatives and labour would get

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    The result of it would probably push for voting reform, actually, as I doubt any party would have a majority (It'd be CON/BREX vs LAB/LIB/SNP pretty much).
    Labour are a pro Brexit party officially. Just because their membership is overwhelmingly in favour of remaining doesn't change the fact that they haven't changed their stance to being a remain party.

In all likeliness the European elections will be split three ways between the pro-brexit, labour, and a combination of the three relevant remain parties (LDs, Greens and SNP).

CUK will fittingly be sat watching from the outside.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Happy Birthday Jeremy Corbyn. His own seat lost to the lib dems in the EU elections.

Lib Dems (remain) are going to do well. Brexit party (leave) are going to do well. The indecisive (labour) and the incompetent (conservative) are going to do horribly.

Remain voters will claim the lib dem rise plus the fall of labour and Tories means that the UK wants to stay.

Leavers will claim the support for the Brexit party means we definitely want to leave.

All in all, it will tell us next to nothing except how inept the two main parties are

Shock Reviews Archive

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

How can Corbyn stay on after this? What a joke of an opposition.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    How can Corbyn stay on after this? What a joke of an opposition.
    He's as much of a cockroach as May is. Useless but mostly unkillable.

Shock Reviews Archive

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

It's elections for the European Parliament. If we leave once the Tories get their arses into gear all these guys will be having nothing to do. However if we end up staying as the new leader is as useless a May...I dread to think what Farage will do haha.

My guess is we'll be having another GE next so that will be the killer.

On the flip side how can European Elections work so well on PR but we still ise FPTP?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    I have a plan so cunning......

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post

My guess is we'll be having another GE next so that will be the killer.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Not too sure personally. The way this and the local elections went, the Tories would be shit scared of doing that right now.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

There's no chance of an election any time soon. If there's one thing that unites the Conservative party it's detesting the idea of a Labour government.

I think they'll wait and see how the new PM gets on negotiating the Brexit deal, and if the public even slightly approve then they'll pull the trigger. Not before then though.

Shock Reviews Archive

Heel Champion

Status

Unless parliament force a GE I have my doubts that the Conservatives are going to call a snap election, they must know doing so would eliminate them from power.

All yellow across Scotland again demonstrating we are a remain country yet Westminster won't give a flying fuck about it and then claim that the UK is a strong united country and a vote on independence or a second referendum on Brexit shouldn't happen. Dicks.

Heel Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    There's no chance of an election any time soon. If there's one thing that unites the Conservative party it's detesting the idea of a Labour government.

I think they'll wait and see how the new PM gets on negotiating the Brexit deal, and if the public even slightly approve then they'll pull the trigger. Not before then though.
    To be honest I don't see Labour getting a majority either, unless they come out and say which bloody side of the fence they lay on.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    To be honest I don't see Labour getting a majority either, unless they come out and say which bloody side of the fence they lay on.
    I agree, we'll have a hung parliament for the next GE unless something drastic changes. I can't remember public opinion for the two major parties ever being this low.

Shock Reviews Archive

Heel Champion

Status

I agree, we'll have a hung parliament for the next GE unless something drastic changes. I can't remember public opinion for the two major parties ever being this low.
    Same here. The sad thing is if the Clegg didn't get into bed with Cameron, the Lib Dems would be smashing it right now, and would be one that would have got a majority quite easily.

The Planet's Admin

Status

I decided to vote on Thursday given how this result would be more scrutinized than the local elections and just being irritated by how childish the remainers have been, milkshakes, smearing leave voters as right wing nutters etc. I'm not ashamed to say I voted for the Brexit Party; I don't like some of the individuals in the party, but this was a one issue election and they represent my leave believes the most. I respect the Lib Dems and the Greens as in the main they are the nicer people in politics and they've not hidden what their stance is on Brexit, but I cannot support parties that represent Remain and a people's vote. Labour and Tories paying the price for either fence sitting or in-fighting was glorious to see; the definitive winner here was parties that have a clear message connect with the electorate, while ambiguity drives people away.

Brexit Party romping home while only being a party for 6 weeks is pretty damn impressive and shows that despite what you might hear on the news, on twitter etc, support for Leave isn't dwindling even after 3 years of parliament trying their best to not make it a reality, and there's not much to suggest that a people's vote is going to produce a Remain result with a bigger majority than Leave won with in 2016. I'm seeing people say 'well add up all the pro-remain parties and it's more than the Brexit party got', but that's optimistic thinking because your magically ignoring what those that voted for the Tories and Labour feel about Brexit. Just speculation, but I feel like the voters that flocked from the 2 main parties to the Lib Dems, the greens, SNP and P.C. are the voters that are strongly Remain and were trying to make their voices heard and that there's not many strong remainers that supported Tories and Labour this time around.

Feel bad for Scotland now and they really should have their independence vote again now with the clear majority there wanting to stay in the EU.

Still woefully divided as a country. Strong leadership needed from BOTH main parties. Corbyn has to go.

Heel Champion

Status

I voted PC for the first time ever, purely because I couldn't bring myself to back the Brexit Party here as the local reps for the party are complete tools and it the others would just make it worse at the moment.

I'm with you on both parties needing strong leadership Ed. We're heading towards a critical period, and having a yes person or someone that can't get the job done can't be in control at the moment. It doesn't matter about parties at the moment, we need someone who will do what is best for us as the UK, not what is best for individual parties. If that is Cable, Farage, or whoever is leading Labour and the Tories in a few months, it needs to be done and done properly. Only than can we start to rebuild.

On the otherside of the coin, if Brexit doesn't happen for whatever reason, then our system needs a complete overhaul.

Status

I went Greens, who at least got one of the local seats here (2 for lib dems, 3 for BP). Thought since we could be out by October (lol) I'd vote for the more environmentally focused party to have a voice for the limited time we're in.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Lib Dems in the lead is v interesting. If they want any chance of winning a GE then they won't elect Swinson as leader. She's a tory in disguise.

Have to say, I feel there will be a second referendum on this eventually. Its the only way out now for Labour and the Tories surely?

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I'm so happy. Not just as a lifelong lib dem supporter. Even the Brexit party making ground is worth celebrating if it can help end the two party system.

I don't think they have much chance in a GE, but I'm glad that they're back after a rough few years

Shock Reviews Archive

Status

Even the Brexit party making ground is worth celebrating if it can help end the two party system.

This 100%. The main two cannibalising themselves since Brexit has been a small joy in a way

Thread Information