Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has been the biggest beneficiary of revisionist history?

Chikara Trainee

Status

Who has been the biggest beneficiary of revisionist history?

What wrestling figure (be it wrestler, manager, promoter, announcer) has benefitted most from revisionist history? As in they've been made out to be a bigger star or more successful than they really were in their heyday. My pick is The Fabulous Moolah. She was a mediocre wrestler, never a draw reportedly and blocked other women wrestlers' opportunities (including some of her own proteges). When New York legalized women's wrestling in the early '70s and MSG lifted the ban on women's wrestling, Moolah got the spot against Vicki Williams in the first women's match at the Garden. This was partly by design as she blocked other women (including Betty Niccoli) from working WWWF shows. In the mid-80s, she had a protege named Mad Maxine (some of you might remember) who WWE planned to have feud w/ Wendi Richter and appear in the Rock 'N Wrestling cartoon. Moolah called the office telling WWE Maxine was too green and took her spot in the cartoon. Next she prevented the chance of a Glamour Girls-Jumping Bomb Angels match at WrestleMania as she interfered w/ a planned title change. Not to mention her supposed 28 yr reign, which was really 10 and involved multiple title changes WWE didn't acknowledge when she sold the belt to them in the early '80s. Might be fair to say that Moolah only enjoys the legacy she has b/c of her closeness to the McMahons.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Who has been the biggest beneficiary of revisionist history?

Moolah is a great shout but I think it has changed a lot in the last few years and now her legacy is tarnished and even WWE can't afford to hype her anymore.

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say Triple H, as he was never as good or as big of a star as WWE would have you believe.

Tricky question. Certainly difficult to see past Moolah as an answer.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

The Ultimate Warrior being some kind of saint in WWE's eyes and being involved in their pandering charity award every year when he was a racist, homophobic piece of shit human being is right up there, but you might of being going for a more in-ring POV of this.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Moolah is a great shout but I think it has changed a lot in the last few years and now her legacy is tarnished and even WWE can't afford to hype her anymore.

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say Triple H, as he was never as good or as big of a star as WWE would have you believe.

Tricky question. Certainly difficult to see past Moolah as an answer.

My non-wrestling friends (some would've been fans in their younger years) all fawn over HHH. Even the non-fans recognize him. I think he's immensely popular to the casual audience.

Could be to do with the presentation of him thio.

Status

Andre The Giant's size.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    My non-wrestling friends (some would've been fans in their younger years) all fawn over HHH. Even the non-fans recognize him. I think he's immensely popular to the casual audience.

Evolution and DX have secured him legendary status amongst casuals imo. Same with my friends - Triple H is an all time fave.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

It must be an age thing. Unless youre my age. I know people who could only identify Hogan and the Rock ( simply because of acting) and thats pretty much it.

I find Brock Lesnar isnt as good as people think. Works awesome with wrestlers better than him. Works like shit against wrestlers worse than him.

He comes off very larger than life/dominating. But fuck his matches with Roman were horrible. His match vs braun and Joe werent that special either. They were decent.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-23-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Status

Triple-H was never elbow to elbow in popularity with The Rock, Stone Cold, Goldberg and The Undertaker during their primes, and its obvious he and the wwe counts himself among the Attitude Eras Mount Rushmore with them but the truth is, he was essentially The Miz or Kevin Owens back then in terms of card placement and drawing ability. His first title push had a Jinder Mahal feel to it. However, around 2002 he came into his own as a big star and never looked back. Did he ever reach the heights of Austin and The Rock? No, but serviceable ring work, great Mic work and the booking benefit of being Vince's son-in-law kept him over through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    The Ultimate Warrior being some kind of saint in WWE's eyes and being involved in their pandering charity award every year when he was a racist, homophobic piece of shit human being is right up there, but you might of being going for a more in-ring POV of this.
    Warrior is a great shout-out simply because he's had two vastly different treatments in the past fifteen years and neither is accurate. He's either portrayed as a wrestler that had absolutely zero appeal or positives like in the hack job on the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior or now portrayed as a saint that gets brought up whenever the WWE needs an example of a perfect human being. Had he died even a month earlier, I doubt the WWE would treat him like this. At the same time, their previous treatment was just as inaccurate. You can't go around acting as if he was a total embarrassment and did nothing right when there was a brief time he was the most popular wrestler in the entire company.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I think this helps back up my answer since the WWE have peddled the (false) narrative that HHH is some mega star who was on the level of other big stars from his time.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I'd have to think about specific wrestlers more but a moment that has benefited from revisionist history is the DX Invasion of WCW. Also could go with the Curtain Call so I'd say that HHH was a fair shoutout. Although I do have to agree with the person who said that he is popular among casual fans. All my friends who aren't super into wrestling all know who HHH is and think he is great.

Edit: I'm not saying that revisionist history has labeled these things good when they were actually bad, I'm just saying that revisionist history has labeled both extremely important when neither were really that big a deal.
    Last edited by BD22; 05-23-2018 at 04:44 PM.

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

He comes off very larger than life/dominating. But fuck his matches with Roman were horrible. His match vs braun and Joe werent that special either. They were decent.
    Actually his first match with Roman was very good. His match with Joe was actually pretty good too. I agree about the second Roman match and the Braun matches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Warrior is a great shout-out simply because he's had two vastly different treatments in the past fifteen years and neither is accurate. He's either portrayed as a wrestler that had absolutely zero appeal or positives like in the hack job on the Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior or now portrayed as a saint that gets brought up whenever the WWE needs an example of a perfect human being. Had he died even a month earlier, I doubt the WWE would treat him like this. At the same time, their previous treatment was just as inaccurate. You can't go around acting as if he was a total embarrassment and did nothing right when there was a brief time he was the most popular wrestler in the entire company.[/B]
    A good draw too though not on the level of Hogan. Then again not many were.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Maverick View Post
    Actually his first match with Roman was very good. His match with Joe was actually pretty good too. I agree about the second Roman match and the Braun matches though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Im ok saying his match with Joe was good. But it wasnt a memorable match. The build was way better. He doesnt produce great classic matches 90% of the time like a guy like Styles, Jericho, HBK. Guys who can do it no matter the opponent. Brock has decent matches with some guys who are on par with him or worse. But he will have a great match with a guy like Styles or Punk. But thats more because of them.....not because Brock.
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    He doesnt produce great classic matches 90% of the time like a guy like Styles, Jericho, HBK. Guys who can do it no matter the opponent. Brock has decent matches with some guys who are on par with him or worse. But he will have a great match with a guy like Styles or Punk. But thats more because of them.....not because Brock.
    I don't agree with this logic at all. In the Punk match, it's not only the best WWE match of 2013, but obviously Punk's best match that year as well. You're not going to be able to produce that when it's just one guy carrying the other. Otherwise, Punk's matches with other would have been better. A lot of Brock's "Problems" is just booking. He's not meant to be a normal wrestler. It's like night and day watching Brock's original run compared to his part time status run. Lesnar's matches aren't meant to be workrate bouts. They're to be as realistic as possible. He already proved in his original run that he's a great wrestler.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I don't agree with Brock at all, I don't think he fits the thread.

Revisionist history means when the company or fans are trying to tell you something that wasn't true. Like when they try and say Moolah was a pioneer of women's wrestling, D-X won the Monday Night Wars, etc. When has WWE ever spoke of Brock as one of the best wrestlers ever like they do with HBK or Flair, for example? Never. WWE has never claimed, at least not in this run from 2012 onwards, that Lesnar puts on great matches. WWE hype Lesnar up as the most dominant wrestler on the roster and one of the most dominant wrestlers ever, and I don't see how there's an argument to that. He's, in kayfabe, up there with the most dominant wrestlers of all time.

Doubting El Dandy

Status
      Country                    UK

I think Triple H is absolutely the clearest example of this, as others have said. He's a solid 8/10 who thinks he is, and is presented, as a 10/10. He has a great look, can be great in the ring in the right environment and is decent on the mic. However, he is clearly a rung below the biggest stars in the business. Most of the arguments in his favour for an elite guy come from how intensely and relentlessly booked he has been for the last twenty years. He is talked about as if he is an elite star alongside Rock, Austin, Hogan, etc largely off the back of how he has been presented, regardless of whether anyone else ever bought in to it.

I don't know exactly how he is viewed by others so this could be off the mark, but I think Booker T could come under this. Again, good look, solid worker and okay on the mic, but outside of matches with Benoit in WCW I can't think of a single great match he had, nor can I think of any memorable segments he was the feature in. Being a multi-time world champion looks good, but in latter WCW so was Jeff Jarrett, so it doesn't really mean anything. I do like him, but he's absolutely not a "great".

Possibly a controversial pic I would add is The Undertaker. I feel like he's also talked about as one of the absolute top level guys ever, but the first 15 years or so of his WWE career was nowhere near elite level, and he was almost damaging to the product for a couple of years. He had a fine late career renaissance which I think elevated the impression of him, and the way he was presented once he became a one-match-a-year guy only added to this. He's obviously an all-time legend through tenure alone, but he also has a near-unmatchable level of dud matches and angles throughout the first half of his career.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by keefmoon View Post
    I think Triple H is absolutely the clearest example of this, as others have said. He's a solid 8/10 who thinks he is, and is presented, as a 10/10. He has a great look, can be great in the ring in the right environment and is decent on the mic. However, he is clearly a rung below the biggest stars in the business. Most of the arguments in his favour for an elite guy come from how intensely and relentlessly booked he has been for the last twenty years. He is talked about as if he is an elite star alongside Rock, Austin, Hogan, etc largely off the back of how he has been presented, regardless of whether anyone else ever bought in to it.

I don't know exactly how he is viewed by others so this could be off the mark, but I think Booker T could come under this. Again, good look, solid worker and okay on the mic, but outside of matches with Benoit in WCW I can't think of a single great match he had, nor can I think of any memorable segments he was the feature in. Being a multi-time world champion looks good, but in latter WCW so was Jeff Jarrett, so it doesn't really mean anything. I do like him, but he's absolutely not a "great".

Possibly a controversial pic I would add is The Undertaker. I feel like he's also talked about as one of the absolute top level guys ever, but the first 15 years or so of his WWE career was nowhere near elite level, and he was almost damaging to the product for a couple of years. He had a fine late career renaissance which I think elevated the impression of him, and the way he was presented once he became a one-match-a-year guy only added to this. He's obviously an all-time legend through tenure alone, but he also has a near-unmatchable level of dud matches and angles throughout the first half of his career.
    Maybe it's my dislike for The Undertaker coming out but these are all great shoutouts.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Booker T is another great shout. His tag team is hyped as an all time great tag team despite being really terrible. And he never had a great match with someone other than Benoit. I like Booker because he's a good character with great comedy too, but honestly if he was in WWF in 1999-2001 I don't think he'd have made it too far. He was a convenient guy to have as a WCW wrestler during the invasion because he was cheaper and less volatile than any of the bigger names, but even then they didn't make him a big deal like anyone else. He got a run as world champion thanks to a paper thin Smackdown roster that needed a heel to drop the belt to Batista.

I was originally thinking Undertaker but less so now because his run from 2006 onwards was phenomenal so I'd be less inclined to say him now. I agree completely about the first 15 years of his career as he wasn't very good for most of it and never a proven draw. But since 2006 he was one of the most reliable workers in terms of big matches, became a big draw due to the Streak and sporadic appearances. So I'd say he's probably not the best shout overall.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Triple H or Edge. Probably Triple H. You know him, the guy that made HBK relevant again, winner of the attitude era, the best goddamn wrestler ever EVER. That Triple H. Everyone knows who Triple H and WWE manipulated history. They even tired to claim Triple H suggested in the screw job ffs. Not to mention how over blown his HBK feud is, they had like two good matches (SummerSlam and the Raw '03 Match) with the rest being pretty mediocre, at least imo.

Edge. He is revered as some GOAT for some reason. He deserves credit for the tag team matches without a doubt but his singles run was not very good for the most part. So many forgettable reigns, none of which is distinguishable from the other. He had a great character but his work, outside of stipulation matches, is really poor. Heel or face. And yet he is presented as a legend by WWE. I just don't get it. But I'd say my own opinion is more of a factor than actual revisionist history itself. Still worth a mention.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information