Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who has been the biggest beneficiary of revisionist history?

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: Who has been the biggest beneficiary of revisionist history?

Edge is a weird one. He's treated as a legend by the company but I feel like everyone forgot about him extremely quickly after his retirement. I don't see him talked about very much and I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've heard someone say "you know who I miss? Edge." Which suggests that the company probably thought of him higher than the fans did.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Edge. He is revered as some GOAT for some reason. He deserves credit for the tag team matches without a doubt but his singles run was not very good for the most part. So many forgettable reigns, none of which is distinguishable from the other. He had a great character but his work, outside of stipulation matches, is really poor. Heel or face. And yet he is presented as a legend by WWE. I just don't get it. But I'd say my own opinion is more of a factor than actual revisionist history itself. Still worth a mention.
    Unless he's revered in a certain way that I'm not aware of, I'm not sure I agree with this.

While he's not exactly an Austin/Hogan/Cena type guy, in terms of the next rung down, he's pretty awesome. He had a LOT of top-rate matches, both in a tag team and as a singles, and was a part of a tonne of memorable angles and gimmicks that have, in my eyes, stood the test of time. He was a good worker, excellent with the right opponent, yet rarely terrible with the wrong one, and outside of the last couple of years, stayed relevant throughout. That all counts for something.

But more than that, look at the two things he was an influential part of - TLC/Ladder spotfests, and Money in the Bank. Those are two of the things that defined his era of wrestling, and to a certain degree, still do. He helped make that.

As far as I'm aware, his reputation is as a legendary top-but-not-quite-tippy-top level guy. Kind of a DiBiase to Cena's Hogan. That seems reasonable to me given what he achieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Booker T is another great shout. His tag team is hyped as an all time great tag team despite being really terrible. And he never had a great match with someone other than Benoit. I like Booker because he's a good character with great comedy too, but honestly if he was in WWF in 1999-2001 I don't think he'd have made it too far. He was a convenient guy to have as a WCW wrestler during the invasion because he was cheaper and less volatile than any of the bigger names, but even then they didn't make him a big deal like anyone else. He got a run as world champion thanks to a paper thin Smackdown roster that needed a heel to drop the belt to Batista.
    Yep, exactly. I actually quite like him, but for all the reason you say, he's a certain level and no higher.

And totally agree with you on Harlem Heat, too. That whole 1995-1997 era for them is a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I was originally thinking Undertaker but less so now because his run from 2006 onwards was phenomenal so I'd be less inclined to say him now. I agree completely about the first 15 years of his career as he wasn't very good for most of it and never a proven draw. But since 2006 he was one of the most reliable workers in terms of big matches, became a big draw due to the Streak and sporadic appearances. So I'd say he's probably not the best shout overall.
    Can't argue with this, which is why I thought it might be controversial. But for me the first 15 years essentially negates him from a conversation of the GOAT, which is how the company seem to treat him. Legend? Absolutely. Top 10 of all time? Potentially. But anywhere near top? Not for me I'm afraid.

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

gonna say it was around 07-10 Edge had a whole buncha fanboys on the internet and he was obviously seen as a big deal by the company. he was massively overrated in his prime but in hindsight a lot of people realised how average he was.

christian was always better in ring, talker and theme songs

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Wow. Guess he isn't as popular with fans as I thought. He seemed adored every time he shows up. Probably not Edge then.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

ozzyozyakup10

Status
      Country                    Turkey

I miss Edge.

Yooooo Mang

Status

I like Edge quite a bit but I agree Christian was better. Triple H was also pretty damn great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mid-Card Champion

Status

For HHH I don't think revisionist history is saying that he was good when he was actually bad. I think it's saying that he was way more important than actually is the case.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by BD22
    For HHH I don't think revisionist history is saying that he was good when he was actually bad. I think it's saying that he was way more important than actually is the case.
    He was on the B level. Significant enough to be a major fixture of the Attitude Era but not on the tier of Austin and Rock. The Attitude Era is when he really came into his own so I can see why he gets hyped as such.

Thread Information