• Forums

10 100.00%
  • Twitter

0 0%

Thread: Forums vs Twitter

Jobber

Status

Forums vs Twitter

Wouldn't be surprised if the responses favor forums since Wrestlingclique is one but in which medium do you prefer to discuss topics, be it wrestling, sports or anything else? What advantages/disadvantages does one medium have the other?

Sangre por Sangre

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Forums vs Twitter

I love both Mediums to be honest, but I've been a Forum guy since 2004 when I joined Wrestling Legends back in the day and I love talking with the people here and the other forums I'm apart of these days. Twitter is full of a bunch of boboheads and you can put a Tweet today and someone will have a smartass comment if they disagree with you. Somehow you're wrong in your opinion, you can't have an educated debate sometimes on Twitter. It's the completely opposite here, truly a family and when people ask about a Wrestling Forum WC is one of two I always bring up for it's reputation.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Rusev Day

Status
      Country                    England

I love both to be honest as well.

Unfortuantely Twitter is contributing to the death of forums and it will continue to do so.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

I'm in the both category too. Forums are great for big, in depth discussions and general chat. Twitter is great for quick interactions with people around the world about the most random things ever. I get the best of both worlds to be honest...this place is great for wrestling and general stuff, twitter is my go to place for ranting and the other interests that aren't discussed here.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status
      Country                    United States

Twitter is a blight on us all.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

[Your Name]

Status

Timely topic, as I've very recently given up Twitter. It's a nice distraction, but it's ultimately quiet hollow and meaningless. As much as I dislike Facebook it at least serves a purpose.

Forums are where it's at for me. In depth convo, meaningful connections with others. I'd genuinely miss this place and a lot of you folk if I was to give it up.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Twitter is very much 'for the moment', it's a great app for watching a live event be it sports or wrestling and watching the jokes roll in to enhance the viewing experience and putting your opinion out there quickly. I also use it as the initial way I keep up with news, so it's great for that too. The downside is it's very time limited, want to reply to someone who tweeted something out 6 hours ago? too bad, the conversations already moved on. Posts on forums live on much longer, and if I want to look up an interesting point that Dook made on WWE's UK brand last week it's easier to access than wanting to look up a tweet from Pete Dunne because you've gotta scroll through a weeks worth of tweets.

The big difference between the two for me comes in when you want to post something longer form, maybe something more serious than a tidbit reply to a gif. It's much easier to craft something long form on a forum with proper sentences, paragraphs, punctuation etc rather than adopt text writing because you don't want your thread to spread over too many tweets. So often on twitter arguments flare up because people dive into mentions after seeing 1 tweet by someone without seeing the context of the original tweet 6 tweets ago when a user started to make their point. I think that happens less often on a place like WC (maybe except for the politics thread) because most people will make their entire point in one post.

Twitter also brings out the worst in people compared to forums, there's way more baiting, provoking, insulting and offensive material on there because if someone has their account banned or deleted, they'll just make a new one under a new alias and carry on. Staff on most forums are good at seeing people sign up with alters and nip it in bud quickly. Wresting twitter really is a cesspool at times with the childish behaviour of grown adults having to pick sides in an argument and getting blocked if you say one negative thing about a wrestler, and that's just for starters. I know a couple members here are familiar with the AbbeyA cancer scam from twitter only a few months ago. I can disagree with you guys from time to time, but it still feels like proper community on here.

Order knows this because I bang on about it from time to time in the staff room, but twitter really has had a knock on effect on foruming in the last decade. Whatever point you signed up to WC, for the majority of us wrestling is more popular now than the day you signed up, but the influx of new members just isn't happening. They're all on twitter, tumblr, reddit etc because that's what the latest generation of wrestling fans has grown up with and places like that offer more individual freedom and a perception of less rules to follow. A lot of fans today are more interested in making their punditry and opinions their own brand by only offering them on a platform they control like twitter or a podcast, rather than post on someone elses website that they'd make no money off of.

And last point - I'm sure no-one here wants to see me introduce a 'IN CASE YOU MISSED IT' function where I force you to read more posts about how 205 Live should tape in front of their own crowds, before getting to the thread you want to read.

[Your Name]

Status

Actually, to follow up a point Ed made, I do miss getting the more niche news from Twitter. PROGRESS results for example don't tend to turn up on news sites I use so have to go out of my way to find them now. Dook also brought up some UK gossip recently that I had no clue on because I miss the small gossipy stuff now (for better or worse).

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Actually, to follow up a point Ed made, I do miss getting the more niche news from Twitter. PROGRESS results for example don't tend to turn up on news sites I use so have to go out of my way to find them now. Dook also brought up some UK gossip recently that I had no clue on because I miss the small gossipy stuff now (for better or worse).

That's actually useful feedback which makes me think I should post more of the news I see on twitter from trusted sources, especially match announcements from the promotion's themselves.

Jobber

Status

Lot of good points! Ed you hit on one of the main differences I thought about when making the thread - the pace. Twitter is much faster. Sometimes people tweet on different subjects w/in seconds. I find that Twitter is good for entertainment while forums are better for in depth discussions. From a wrestling perspective, there seems to be a greater percentage of fans knowledgeable about history.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Twitter is a blight on us all.
    Bingo. I only use Twitter to post pics of events I'm at, beers I'm drinking or to chat with Booty, Wang or Smark. I generally try to avoid reading comments on anything that pops up in my feed because they're terrible.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

I barely have a Twitter account. I never post on it or follow tweets or anything.

What I use Twitter for is for real time updates on injuries. Mostly during football season, if I'm watching a game and a favorite player limps off to the locker room. I can get updates on them with Twitter faster than I can anything else. Even places like ESPN or Rotoworld don't update me as fast as a search on Twitter does.

As far as actual discussions, Facebook I use more than Twitter. Commenting on posts and things like that there.

However I think the forums are still better. You get more of intellectual discussion about things here. Plus ironically there's actually less anonymity. I say ironically because here our accounts are just usernames and on Facebook it's our real names and pictures...But arguing with someone there actually means less than here. You don't know the person most of the time on a random Facebook post from a sports page, but here we know each other. So if you act like a stupid asshole people are going to remember.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Bingo. I only use Twitter to post pics of events I'm at, beers I'm drinking or to chat with Booty, Wang or Smark. I generally try to avoid reading comments on anything that pops up in my feed because they're terrible.
    Untappd?
    I have a plan so cunning......

Get Bitches.

Status
      Country                    UK

I go on Twitter to shout from the mountain tops for people to pay attention to me.

I go on forums to discuss things.

I'm only capable of writing in 140 characters now.

Status

Yeah, I love twitter, it's fucking hilarious. But, the comments on the more controversial things are just horrible and trying to have a discussion/debate with a random person on twitter, even about things like sports or music, 99% of the time devolves into insults and smart ass remarks. It's shit in that regard. Forums have the upperhand in that regard because we know each other more personally and tend to show a little more respect to each other. And it offers other features like the e-fed, BTBs and shit that aren't possible on twitter.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC
    Yeah, I love twitter, it's fucking hilarious. But, the comments on the more controversial things are just horrible and trying to have a discussion/debate with a random person on twitter, even about things like sports or music, 99% of the time devolves into insults and smart ass remarks. It's shit in that regard. Forums have the upperhand in that regard because we know each other more personally and tend to show a little more respect to each other. And it offers other features like the e-fed, BTBs and shit that aren't possible on twitter.
    Keepe me in stitches. But you're right how convos devolve into insult fests.

#GrimLove

Status
      Country                    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    Keepe me in stitches. But you're right how convos devolve into insult fests.
    Lack of institution of the rules.

You say any of the shit that some people say there over here and you are banned likely for life. It's happened on more than one occasion (OG Kid for one example (although he should have just admitted he was never going to do what he promised)). Twitter is awful about instituting their own rules so that assholes can continue to threaten others without punishment.

Coming Soon
    The InVasion - A Mafia Game

Grim's Threads:

Coming Soon
    The Spencer Mansion: A Resident Evil MAFIA

MR. MON$TER IN THE BANK~!

Status

Social media's turned into pure garbage in recent years. I'm starting to get to the idea if you were to give your opinion, let's say Roman Reigns. If you show your support, you may get a flack of criticism by the ones who hate him. I would rather stick to wrestling forums to discuss wrestling and other stuff that goes with it.

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016

On Vacation

Status

I prefer Forums. I like to keep my Social Media separate from Forums. Forums or more of a release/escape from the outside World. I use Social Medial to keep in contact with people I need to keep up with.

Thread Information