Thread: WWE Tuesday Night Smackdown Live Discussion Thread - May 22nd, 2018

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

SD Live WWE Tuesday Night Smackdown Live Discussion Thread - May 22nd, 2018

SmackDown LIVE preview, May 22, 2018: Bryan and Hardy clash in a battle with Money in the Bank implications
    SmackDown LIVE General Manager Paige has revealed that Big Cass is not cleared to compete after suffering an injury, which has led to a second chance at Money in the Bank qualification for two popular Superstars.

United States Champion Jeff Hardy came up short in the first of Team Blue’s qualifying matches against The Miz, while Daniel Bryan was defeated by Rusev in another qualifier. The winner of Bryan vs. Hardy will take on Samoa Joe during the May 29 edition of SmackDown in a battle for the final spot in the Men’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match.

Who will get a second opportunity to qualify for Money in the Bank: Jeff Hardy or Daniel Bryan? Find out tonight on SmackDown LIVE at 8/7 C on USA Network!

The New Day to join The Miz on “Miz TV” during SmackDown LIVE
    The New Day emerged victorious over The Bar last Tuesday in a Money in the Bank Qualifying Match, which left the WWE Universe wondering one thing: Which member of the pancake-devouring trio will enter the melee on June 17 in Chicago?

One Superstar is vowing to get to the bottom of that mystery – The Miz. The A-Lister invited The New Day to join him on “Miz TV” tonight on a video posted to Twitter Friday afternoon, where he promised to get the exclusive on which New Day member will try and climb to new heights.

WWE cameras caught up with the four-time tag team champions shortly after. Kofi Kingston, Big E, and Xavier Woods accused The Miz of being a “wedge-driver” by trying to get between their bond of friendship, while explaining that they like the air of mystery surrounding their participation in Money in the Bank. After all, if one of them becomes Mr. Money in the Bank, they all do!

Will The Awesome One get the scoop, or will The New Day continue to play mind games with the Money in the Bank field?

Lana and Billie Kay to clash in Women’s Money in the Bank Qualifying Match tonight on SmackDown LIVE
    One of SmackDown LIVE’s remaining spots in the Women’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match will be decided tonight when Lana clashes with The IIconics’ Billie Kay.

The Ravishing Russian is looking to join her husband Rusev, who has already qualified for the Men’s Ladder Match, in Chicago. Lana is already having visions of she and her husband lording their contracts over Team Blue as Mr. & Mrs. Money in the Bank.

However, Billie Kay will not be a pushover. The Femme Fatale, in a word association game with Peyton Royce, declared that she is a winner, the Money in the Bank briefcase is a perfect accessory, the contract will make her a champion and the future will be, of course, IIconic.

Who will advance to Chicago and the Women’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match?

Naomi to face Sonya Deville in a Money in the Bank Qualifying Match tonight on SmackDown LIVE
    Sonya Deville asked for another opportunity to qualify for the Women’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match, and she will get one tonight on SmackDown LIVE, when she faces Naomi.

The former Absolution member believes that because Mandy Rose was the one who tapped out to Becky Lynch’s Dis-arm-her in last week’s Triple Threat qualifier, she still deserved another chance to advance to Chicago on June 17, taking to social media to state her case.

She was granted a second chance, but she won’t be facing a pushover. Deville will have to defeat former SmackDown Women’s Champion Naomi, who’s looking for a path to claim the title for a third time.

Who will qualify for the Women’s Money in the Bank Ladder Match? Find out tonight on SmackDown LIVE at 8/7 C on USA Network!
    THE POWER OF FLUFFY BOYS SHINE WITHIN YOU

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Re: WWE Tuesday Night Smackdown Live Discussion Thread - May 22nd, 2018

Bryan and Jeff gotta be a first time ever match I'd imagine.

That Miz TV segment turning into a 6 man tag with the Bar is the most predictable thing ever.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

New Day hating on the Miz & Mrs. Show how dare they! Miz trying to break apart New Day from within smart fellow.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status
      Country                    United States

Well RIP Iconics then.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Well RIP Iconics then.
    I feel you Silk, Billy Kay losing to Lana really doesn't raise anyone's expectations for them on the Main Roster.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

On one hand, what is happening with the IIconis. Were they brought up soley to cost Charlotte the women's title? Like, I understand not immediately pushing them into the top spotlight, but they've very rapidly became just another two members of the roster.

On the other hand, I'm delighted that they're seemed to dial back on that 'Lana convinces Rusev to turn on Aiden' tease. Face friendship stable with these three forever please.
    THE POWER OF FLUFFY BOYS SHINE WITHIN YOU

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

I said a few weeks back that the Iconics already felt like they were just there, just bodies on the roster already. And this was a really, really rough week for them. How long ago did they debut? A little over a month and they're already getting their shit pushed in at the same time by Lana who has been treated like a joke for her entire tenure on SmackDown. Pretty miserable to see them used so badly here. They well and truly are just kind of "there" and that's about it already. Shame their debut night was fantastic and made them look like stars, everything since though...

But that sort of leads me into my next point. The lack of consistency in WWE really bugs me these days a lot. They dont keep momentum on people or build them up. Miz is a fantastic example of this, he spent a year on Raw being a comedy jobber who was endlessly fed to one or two or all three of The Shield guys. He spent his last 2 months on Raw getting squashed by Balor and Rollins every week then gets drafted and is treated like a big deal and is suddenly winning matches instead of getting squashed every week. Dont get me wrong its nice to see Miz winning matches for a change, even if at this point hes pretty damn stale due to spinning his wheels and going nowhere for a year and a half but the lack of consistency is dumb. Like a month ago the Iconics debuted and took out Charlotte and cost her the Title, now they're both getting beat down by Lana in 20 seconds. And Miz went from jobbing for a year straight to suddenly being a big deal. It just annoys me, because they don't keep momentum on people as I said. They job people into the ground and then randomly, occasionally they thrust these people into the spotlight (usually a World Title run) and we get all these World Champs that no one takes seriously like Jinder or Sheamus's last run. Id like them to see them keep more people looking strong and looking like threats as opposed to people going from comedy jobber to big deal at the drop of a hat...and then back to comedy jobber.

Tag Team division has gone to shit with the Bludgeon Bros as Champs. They're just boring, and The Club are even moreso. Usos and New Day did fantastic work not that long ago, and now we have this...whatever it is.

Thanks to Jabberwocky for the amazing Gabrielle gif

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

I naturally assumed that Aiden's presence was going to mess things up for Lana, he'd be the reason she lost, and it would play into that angle 2 weeks ago that Lana wants Rusev to disassociate himself from English, but that storyline seems to have been dropped already. That was an eye opening defeat for Iiconics because they were given no time to impress and were BOTH bettered by the worst wrestler on their roster both in a kayfabe and reality sense within a minute. I did try to warn people when they were called up that they weren't that good and offered nothing unique to the roster with their mean girls gimmick. They had a jobber to the stars kind of role in NXT too, it's not like they were winning all the time, but this is a new low for them when the smallest fish in the pond beats them. Lana in a ladder match though is a very scary thought.

I'm torn on which New Day member I want in the MITB match. Initially I wanted Big E because I think he's the one they should be pushing by now as a singles guy, but in a match that already has Braun in it and most likely Joe too when he qualifies next week they are kind of set for the big dudes, maybe the match would really benefit more from Woods or Kofi being in the match, taking the bigger bumps and doing the sicker spots. The opening segment did a really good job in presenting 3 different options for who should take the spot.

It's hard to get super excited for Joe/Bryan next week when you know Cass will just interupt it.

Status
      Country                    United States

Iconic burial aside (and even that was a fun segment to rally people behind Lana, Aiden is so good), this was another really solid episode of Smackdown which I think has asserted itself again as the A show between the two. They're doing the wonderful thing a deep-roster show is allowed to do where big name players get a show off now and then simply because there isn't time for them, meaning when they do appear they tend to be in meaningful segments. The tag champs haven't been on the show in a few weeks because with their dominance so thoroughly established, the best story to tell is who can rise up to their level (I imagine we'll see the Bludgeons back next week with their challengers now set). Charlotte and Asuka didn't do a thing this week and you still had two women's segments. Randy Orton's been gone since Backlash and it hasn't been remotely felt. Smackdown's so deep that you get breath of fresh air weeks where feuds don't have to get overdone before their natural boiling point. When was the last time Raw had a show where Braun, Roman or Seth didn't need to show up for the week?

Along that same vein, the feuds have generally progressed well. Though the GRR match has watered the feud down a bit earlier than I would have liked, AJ and Nak have salvaged their feud with an exceptional TV match and a great segment this week. LMS seems like a good stip for a feud that's getting increasingly savage, and FEELS increasingly savage. This may be the most organic blood feud the WWE has run in a minute, and even though they can't do it because this next event is named Money in the Bank and not Hell in a Cell, this match would be perfect for a cell match. My only gripe is that LMS actually does nothing to resolve their last title match, which ended in a double countout much as a LMS match would, but since Nak made the match and not Paige this isn't really a significant story quibble.

The important takeaway is that nothing on Smackdown feels particularly wasted or useless which reminds me of the '16 run that was so so so good. Every segment means something whether it's MITB qualifiers, tag team number one contendership, teasing which New Day member will enter the ladder match, or establishing a new star with a quick jobber match. This has quickly become a good wrestling program again, and as long as they keep the main title on any one of their WEALTH of options for it (Styles, Nak, Joe, Bryan, Miz, etc.) then there's also little concern we end up with another dreadful Summer of Jinder type situation.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Thread Information