Thread: WWE 2006: Fixing The Mess

Curtain Jerker

Status

Smackdown WWE 2006: Fixing The Mess

2006 is a year that many would say was a poor one for the WWE. Heading into the year, the company had shock waves sent through it with the sudden passing of Eddie Guerrero. This was awful for everyone involved for beyond obvious reasons, but what did Vince McMahon and co. decide to do? Have a storyline surrounding Eddie's death... for damn near the majority of the entire year... with Rey Mysterio as the face and Chavo Guerrero being the heel? Not only was this disgusting, it didn't even make any sense!

This was not the only bad thing on WWE television in 2006, we could all go on and on about the Spirit Squad, Shelton Benjamin's mama, May 19th, and all of ECW following Rob Van Dam's suspension among other things, but what fun would that be? Unless we're writing a smarktastic review of December to Dismember (not in this thread, but I'm not opposed...) I don't see the point of re living the garbage in 2006.

The start date of this BTB will be January 9, 2006, which is the Raw following New Year's Revolution. Results from the PPV coming soon, along with the roster, champions, and the first week of shows leading to the Royal Rumble. Raw and Smackdown will be written in recap format, with pay-per-views in more of a review format.

This is my first show I've ever written, and I have not watched much WWE since 2014, so I admittedly may be out of touch and write a few clunkers in the beginning. That's fine, all part of learning, and any advice is greatly appreciated! As a result of my new-ness, I will not be writing the Women's division yet (sorry, lovers of the Mickie/Trish storyline!) due to the division having 4-5 actually good wrestlers and then a bunch of strippers, I'd have to get overly creative with the women's roster and admittedly, I'm not very well versed in women's wrestlers during this time.

Lastly, if anyone would like to write the Raw side of this, I am 100% open to doing a brand split at any time during the project, so if anyone is interested in doing somewhat of a GM Mode piece, PM me and we can work out logistics!
    Last edited by AaronMidWest; 05-19-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Re: WWE 2006: Fixing The Mess

New Year's Revolution 2006 Results:

Ric Flair(c) def. Edge via DQ for the Intercontinental Championship after Edge hit Flair with his Money in the Bank briefcase

Jerry Lawler def. Gregory Helms after a Diving Fist Drop

Triple H def. Big Show after a Pedigree

Shelton Benjamin def. Viscera after a Dragon Screw

John Cena def. Carlito, Chris Masters, Shawn Michaels, Kane, and Kurt Angle for the WWE Championship after Cena rolled up Carlito

Edge def. John Cena for the WWE Championship after Edge Speared Cena twice

Curtain Jerker

Status

RAW Champions
    WWE Champion:
    Edge
    Intercontinental Champion: Ric Flair
    WWE Tag Team Champions: Kane and Big Show

Smackdown Champions
    World Heavyweight Champion:
    Batista
    United States Champion:
    Booker T
    Cruiserweight Champion:
    Kid Kash
    WWE Tag Team Champions:
    Johnny Nitro and Joey Mercury

Raw Roster:
    Edge w/ manager Lita
    John Cena
    Kurt Angle
    Shawn Michaels
    Triple H
    Ric Flair
    Big Show
    Kane
    Shelton Benjamin
    Carlito
    Chris Masters
    Rob Van Dam - injured, rumored to be returning soon
    Trevor Murdoch
    Lance Cade
    Chavo Guerrero
    Gregory Helms
    Viscera
    Daivari

General Manager: Shane McMahon

Tag Teams:
    Kane & Big Show
    Trevor Murdoch & Lance Cade
    Carlito & Chris Masters (Although with Carlito turning on Masters inside the Elimination Chamber last night...)

Smackdown Roster
    Batista
    Undertaker
    Randy Orton
    Chris Benoit
    Booker T
    Rey Mysterio
    Bobby Lashley
    Johnny Nitro w/ Manager Melina
    Joey Mercury
    JBL
    Brian Kendrick
    Paul London
    Kid Kash
    Psicosis
    Super Crazy
    Matt Hardy
    Mark Henry
    Nunzio
    Vito
    Jamie Noble
    William Regal
    Finlay
    Mr. Kennedy - injured, out until May-July

General Manager: Theodore Long, playa!

Tag Teams:
    MNM (Johnny Nitro & Joey Mercury w/ Manager Melina) - WWE Tag Team Champions
    The MexiCools (Psicosis & Super Crazy)
    William Regal & Finlay
    Paul London & Brian Kendrick
    Nunzio & Vito
    Last edited by AaronMidWest; 05-28-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Added Roster, didn't want to make another post cause that would look spammy

Curtain Jerker

Status

RAW Preview:

Last night, after just narrowly beating out five other competitors in a grueling Elimination Chamber match to retain his WWE Championship, John Cena would be forced into another WWE Title defense against Edge, who decided to use his Money in the Bank title shot he won all the way back at Wrestlemania 21. Edge, after losing to Ric Flair via disqualification earlier in the night, walked out on top of the entire company. How will John Cena respond? Will Ric Flair have any involvement?

Two of the other five participants in last nights Elimination Chamber bout, Chris Masters and Carlito lasted to the very end of the match, eliminating Kane and Shawn Michaels, before Carlito proceeded to turn on Masters while Masters had John Cena dead to rights in the Masterlock. Once Carlito turned on and pinned Masters, John Cena snuck in and rolled up Carlito for the 3 count. Carlito's double cross cost both men their first shot at the WWE Championship. What will the fallout be? Will the Masterpiece retaliate, or shall the two young studs keep their budding alliance together heading into the Royal Rumble?

Shawn Michaels and Kurt Angle had an awesome rivalry all throughout 2005. However, neither man had the greatest showing in the Elimination Chamber, and both men have been on somewhat of a losing streak as of late. Can the two legends get their momentum right on the road to Wrestlemania?

Shelton Benjamin fired his mama as his manager at New Year's Revolution last night. He made relatively quick work of the nearly 500 pound Viscera as well. What lies ahead for one of the most gifted athletes the WWE has ever seen, as he seems to be treading water at the moment?

Lastly, Triple H was also victorious at the years first Pay-Per-View after pinning one half of the World Tag Team Champions, The Big Show. The Game seems to have his sights set on winning the Royal Rumble for the second time in his illustrious career, although after last nights actions, which included hitting Big Show with a sledgehammer prior to the finishing Pedigree, the 500 pounder and his tag team partner Kane, who was unsuccessful in the Elimination Chamber, are likely to be eager to settle the score with the Cerebral Assassin. Can Triple H find his way around these two behemoths on his way back to the main event scene?

Find out answers to all these questions and more on the January 9th edition of Monday Night Raw!

Curtain Jerker

Status

2006 WWE Pay-Per-View Schedule:
    January 8, 2006; New Year's Revolution, Albany, NY
    January 29, 2006; Royal Rumble, Miami, FL
    February 19, 2006; No Way Out, Baltimore, MD
    April 2, 2006; Wrestlemania 22, Chicago, IL
    April 30, 2006; Backlash, Lexington, KY
    May 21, 2006; Judgment Day, Phoenix, AZ
    June 18, 2006; Vengeance, Charlotte, NC
    July 23, 2006; King of the Ring, Indianapolis, IN
    August 20, 2006; Summerslam, Boston, MA
    September 17, 2006; Unforgiven, Toronto, Ontario
    October 8, 2006; No Mercy, Columbia, SC
    November 26, 2006; Survivor Series, Philadelphia, PA
    December 17, 2006; Armageddon, Richmond, VA

Red = Raw PPV
    Blue = Smackdown PPV
    Black = Dual-Branded PPV
    Last edited by AaronMidWest; 05-20-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Wrong order
    WWE 2006: Fixing the Mess

Curtain Jerker

Status

Raw Re: WWE 2006: Fixing The Mess

Road to the Royal Rumble

WWE Championship: Transitional Champ for the Stars, or Transitioning to a New Star?

(1/9/06) Edge and Lita come to the ring together the night following New Year’s Revolution, gloating about Edge beating up a 16 time world champ, and dethroning then-champion John Cena. They promise a live sex celebration before leaving the ring, which the two attempt to pull off later in the night only to be interrupted by Ric Flair! Edge and Lita bail from ringside as Flair challenges Edge for his WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble, but as Edge is backing up the ramp away from Flair, John Cena comes from behind and hits the FU on the stage! Cena announces he is using his rematch clause at the Rumble, making the WWE Title match a Triple Threat.

(1/16/06) Edge attempts to get cheap shots in at both Flair and Cena during both of their matches, Cena’s backstage interview, and even when Flair gets out of the shower with Ashley Massaro. However, outside of hitting an Edgecution on the bathroom floor to Flair, Edge does not get the upper hand during any of these “sneak” attacks, as both Flair and Cena seem to be looking over their shoulder at every turn, showing their experience over Edge. In the main event when Cena is wrestling Chris Masters, Edge tries to Spear Cena on the floor, but gets thrown into the post, and is hit with an FU through the announce table!

(1/23/06) Cena and Flair are seen together throughout the entire night, talking about Cena’s first reign and the long length, and how he can’t wait to get the gold back around his waist. Flair is visualizing himself as a 17 time world champion, further pushing his legacy as one of the greatest to ever step in the squared circle. Both men say no matter what goes down Sunday mutual respect is a must, just that a champion like Edge should not be walking around with gold.

In the main event, Cena and Flair team up against Edge and Triple H. After a solid 15 minute bout, Edge and Triple H argue, leading to Triple H hitting Edge with a Spinebuster and walking out. Cena tries to take advantage, but as he goes to hit the FU on Edge, Flair says he wants to finish the job, but Cena says no, he wants this. Flair doesn’t just let it happen, however, as he low blows Cena! Flair pounds away at Cena in the corner, but turns around into a Spear from Edge, and the champ pins Flair! Edge and Lita walk up the ramp, taunting the challengers one last time before their match on Sunday!
    --------------------------------------

Royal Rumble Match: The Race to #30

(1/9/06) Shane McMahon heads to the ring after making Shelton Benjamin the Rumble’s first entrant. The Boss’s son states that due to Raw having the #1 entry in the Rumble, the Board of Directors have given him the option to choose his #30 spot as well. Instead of showing clear bias like authority figures of the past would have, “The Money” announces that to kick off Raw next week, there will be a battle royal between every Raw Rumble participant, except Benjamin, and the final two will face off in the opening bout at the Pay Per View, with the winner gaining the #30 spot into the Royal Rumble match!

(1/16/06) Raw Battle Royal Participants: Triple H, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Big Show, Kane, Carlito, Chris Masters, Chavo Guerrero, Gregory Helms, Viscera, Trevor Murdoch, Lance Cade

The battle royal qualifier for the #30 match at the Rumble kicks off with an absolute shocker: everyone in the match teams up on Triple H, and they all throw him out immediately!

The mob mentality continues on, as the other eight raw superstars gang up on
    Big Show, Kane, and Viscera and take all 3 out of the match!

Masters and Carlito then team up to eliminate Trevor Murdoch and Lance Cade while Gregory Helms tosses out Chavo Guerrero.

During the last wave of eliminations, nobody in the match has noticed Kurt Angle rolling under the bottom rope, just biding his time. Carlito and Helms fight together in the corner, with Masters trying to help his partner out, but Shawn Michaels hits Masters with Sweet Chin Music to send the Masterpiece packing! Meanwhile, Carlito finishes off Helms, eliminating him!

Carlito looks on, thinking he has won the match and is headed to face HBK, but Michaels had already seen Angle on the outside and he quickly clotheslines the Cool Guy over the top rope! The opening match at the Royal Rumble has been set:
    Shawn Michaels vs Kurt Angle IV: Winner gets #30.

A perfect rubber match to a series of 3 classic matches that produced a record of 1-1-1 for each competitor, with the winner having the best chance to headline Wrestlemania! But as Shawn is celebrating, Kurt Angle then comes in, picks Michaels up, and delivers a high arcing Angle Slam!

(1/23/06) Shawn Michaels faces off against Gregory Helms, but after a near 10 minute match,Angle runs in, and beats HBK down, Angle Slamming him once in the ring, and again on the floor! Kurt then follows this with a promo wondering why the narrative has been a stalemate between the two, because Kurt had Shawn dead to rights in their Iron Man match, made Shawn tap at Wrestlemania, and only lost to a fluke mid-air Superkick at Vengeance. There is no question who the greatest in the WWE is, just like there’s no question who will receive the #30 entrant on Sunday

----------------------------------------

"Prove it. Show me more"

(1/9/06) Interim General Manager of Raw Shane McMahon runs into Shelton Benjamin on the way to his office after telling agents to make the Edge/Cena/Flair Triple threat official. Shelton tells Shane that he’s tired of being put into the ring with scrubs like Viscera, and wants to be guaranteed a late entry into the Royal Rumble. Shane responds with a guarantee that Shelton will be in the Rumble, but if he’s so tired of “scrubs”, he should show the brass that he’s capable of more than he’s already shown. Shelton questions why everything he’s already shown, but says he’s gonna do it. Shane makes a rematch between Shelton and Viscera, which looks to make Shelton even more upset, but he walks toward the ring. Shelton mostly outwrestles Big Vis before attempting a T-Bone Suplex, but to no avail. However, Viscera tries the Visagra. This angers Shelton, who gets out of the way and starts kicking the big mans head in! Once Vis is on his back, Shelton heads to the top rope, and comes down with a 450 Splash! And gets the pin on Viscera!

Post-Match, Shelton hardly celebrates, he just makes a beeline to the back, walking into Shane McMahon’s office, wanting to know how that was for “something more”, and the conversation goes as follows.

Shane: I loved the enthusiasm, and I loved the 450 Splash. It really looked great, Shelton. Here’s the problem, though; The 450 Splash is a banned move. As a result, I am being forced by the board of directors to reprimand you.

Shelton glares at Shane, ready to snap

Shane: Hold on, just because I need to reprimand you does not mean I’m suspending you, or anything close. I like you, Shelton, and I appreciate stars that respond with intensity when prompted, as you did earlier. In fact, I think you’ll see what I’ve done as even more motivation. Remember how I guaranteed your entrance into the Royal Rumble? Well, with your athleticism, skill, and stamina, I have no trouble believing that you can enter the Rumble at #1 and win the entire thing. So, that’s what I’m doing. You’re my #1 entrant into the Royal Rumble match. I know you’re angry, but a majority of the board wanted to suspend you. My hands were tied here, and I did what I could to keep you active. And as a result of having the #1 entrant, Raw gets the #30 entrant as well. So you can clearly see how this benefits everyone involved.

Shelton: If I find out you’re playing me, you’re gonna regret it.

Shane: If you perform well in the Rumble, especially if you win, I think you’ll come to find that I’m definitely not playing you. Have a good night, Shelton.

(1/16/06) Shelton faces off against Chavo Guerrero in a fast paced match that lasts a little over 5 minutes. Chavo attempted a 3 Amigos, but had the third vertical suplex reversed into a T-Bone Suplex from Benjamin, giving him the win! After the match, Shelton would go on to hit a second T-Bone Suplex on Guerrero.

(1/23/06) Shelton is approached by Viscera in the locker room, and wants one final match between the two, as a way to figuratively bury the hatchet before the Rumble on Sunday. Shelton originally says no and wants nothing to do with Vis, but then the Love Machine offers to swap places in the Rumble if Benjamin can defeat him. As such, Shelton agrees to the match

The match barely goes on for 5 minutes before Shelton is hit in the corner with a splash from Viscera. After this, Vis goes to the second rope and begins to dance on the rope, angering Shelton, who is absolutely not interested in dealing with that in a wrestling ring. Benjamin leaps to his feet and drills the big guy in the nuts for a DQ, meaning Shelton stays #1! This does not seem to bother him, as he hits the Love Machine with a Superkick, and another 450 Splash! Shelton tells the world that he will go coast to coast on Sunday, and break the longevity record in the process!

Youth Rising Together: Can They Co-Exist?

(1/9/06) Chris Masters is lacing up his boots, preparing for a match against Kane as Carlito walks up behind him, with two apples, offering Masters one. The Masterpiece doesn’t want anything to do with Carlito, but the Cool Guy says last night backfired on him, and he won’t betray any partner of his again. Double crossing Masters cost both of them their first chance at the WWE Championship, and that’s a mistake that wasn’t cool, so it won’t happen again. Reluctantly, Masters agrees and then accepts the apple, but he only gives second chances once. Carlito says that they can take each other to the end of the Rumble, just like they did in the Chamber. Only this time, there won’t be any BS on his end. The two agree, and head to the ring. Masters and Kane have a decent power match that ends when Carlito runs in and gives Kane a Backstabber while Kane has Masters readied for a Chokeslam. Big Show then runs in, but Masters gets the upper hand with a steel chair, which is followed up with a Cool Shot on that chair from Carlito! “MasterCool” raise each other's arms after leaving the tag champs beaten down.

(1/16/06) Following his close loss in the battle royal earlier in the night, Carlito asked Shane McMahon for a chance to be put in the Michaels/Angle match. Shane does not give in to Carlito’s demands but says he will reward Carlito with a main event match against John Cena. The Cool Guy wants in the #30 entrant match if he wins, and Shane responds with the typical “we’ll see”.

Carlito holds his own for nearly 20 minutes against Cena with zero interference from Chris Masters, eventually fighting him to the floor. Edge tries to interfere and take Cena out of the match, but the champ is fought off and put through the announce table, however, this leaves an opening for Carlito to hit a Backstabber on the floor! The referee’s count was already at a 7, and Cena cannot beat the count back into the ring! Carlito defeats the former champ via countout! After the match, Masters puts Cena in the Masterlock and Cena passes out.

(1/23/06) Carlito and Masters ask Shane for a tag team title match against Kane and Big Show, but due to the recent beatings the last two weeks, the tag champs have the night off. However, Shane is willing to put them in a #1 contender match with Lance Cade and Trevor Murdoch, with the winners getting a title match the night after the Rumble.

The match is nearly a squash for the young guns, with Cade able to get a few shots in on Carlito before the momentum quickly turns away, Murdoch is hit with a Backstabber, Masters Powerbombs Cade onto his partner, and Carlito pins the redneck!

After the match, the #1 contenders are talking about their Rumble strategy. Not much detail is heard, but Masters is heard asking something along the lines of “you can last until I’m in, right?”, and Carlito is seen adamantly agreeing. There may have been dissension between these two in the Elimination Chamber, but now Carlito and Chris Masters seem to be firmly on the same page, surely something the rest of the Rumble participants need to keep an eye on!

Furthering the Legacy, Cementing Greatness

(1/09/06) Triple H has a rematch against Big Show, however since the match occurs immediately following a beatdown from Carlito & Chris Masters, Triple H simply hits the 500 pounder with a running knee and a Pedigree before nonchalantly pinning him. The Game grabs a mic, and simply states “the 28 others in the Rumble better put up more of a fight than that, or I’m getting my title back”. After dropping the mic, HHH hits another Pedigree on both Big Show and a third on his partner Kane.

(1/16/06) The Game was livid backstage after being eliminated first in the #30 entrant battle royal, so much so that he just made a beeline for the parking lot. In the parking lot, he ran into Chavo Guerrero, whom he would promptly Pedigree and then walk to his car, out of the stadium.

(1/23/06) Triple H tags with Edge against John Cena and former Evolution stablemate Ric Flair. The match goes on, but does not end without Edge and HHH coming to blows, leading to Triple H walking out on the match. After the match concluded, and Edge was celebrating on the ramp, Triple H would come back out and PedigreeLita on the stage, with Edge just barely getting away! Triple H ends the show by declaring that when he wins the Rumble Sunday, he’s coming straight after whichever of these three is holding his belt at Wrestlemania.

Royal Rumble 2006 Card - Raw Lineup

WWE Championship: Edge(c) vs John Cena vs Ric Flair

Winner gets #30: Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels

Royal Rumble Match

Shows covered:
    Raw January 9, 2006
    Raw January 16, 2006
    Raw January 23, 2006
    Last edited by AaronMidWest; 06-22-2018 at 03:37 AM.
    WWE 2006: Fixing the Mess

Underdog

Status

The triple threat for the Belt should be pretty good…standard triple threat build…I liked that Flair hit the low blow and then Edge getting the win.

Kurt Angle vs. Michaels is a perfect way to start a PPV…I liked the concept of the Battle Royal and I appreciate that you didn’t put a lot of gimmicky stuff into it…just 2 great wrestlers having a great match.

Shelton Benjamin is one of my favorite wrestlers and I really hope that he lasts a long time in the Rumble…I actually booked a similar scenario with Benjamin…it basically talked about how his matches were so short and then he ended up going 60 mins in the Rumble and then had an ironman match at Mania.

I enjoy what your doing with Carlito and Masters…I feel there is something that is going to take place in the Rumble between these two. I look forward to it….alot.

Standard stuff to keep HHH involved.

Thread Information