Thread: The CWC Years

Jobber

Status

The CWC Years

I've been on a big history kick and taken a strong interest in the Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC) years of WWE in the last year. The period doesn't get much coverage despite being a significant chunk of WWE's history. Hell, Toots Mondt was just acknowledged last year in the Legacy Wing of the WWE HOF. Spanning from 1952 when Jess McMahon (Vince Jr.'s grandfather) and Toots Mondt founded the company in DC to 1963 when the Thesz-Rogers NWA Title dispute led Vince Sr. and Mondt to leave the NWA and form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) it boasts quite a few notables such as Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Dr. Jerry Graham, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Valentine and Karl Von Hess. At one point tag team wrestling dominated the territory and headlined w/ teams such as The Fabulous Kangaroos, Antonino Rocca & Miguel Pérez, Tolos Brothers, Don Curtis & Mark Lewin and The Graham Brothers. What do you guys know about this period?

Re: The CWC Years

I've always thought it was odd that the WWE tends to ignore the decade they were Capitol Wrestling, instead acting as if they were formed in 1963.

Jobber

Status

My guess is they would have to acknowledge it wasn't just the McMahons who contributed significantly to the empire. Also, they can't make much money off some of the names.

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    My guess is they would have to acknowledge it wasn't just the McMahons who contributed significantly to the empire. Also, they can't make much money off some of the names.
    I don't even think it's a matter of wanting to make money off of it. It's not as if they're making much, if any, money off of the first decade of the WWWF due to virtually nothing existing. Since it is the WWE and they're very selective about how accurate their history is, they can just focus on Jess McMahon being the man behind Capitol Wrestling similarly to what they do with Vince Sr. and the WWWF. With WWE's history, you would think that the WWE was created seemingly overnight the day after the NWA Title switch instead of just rebranding their company similarly to what the WWE has done multiple times in the time since.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I don't even think it's a matter of wanting to make money off of it. It's not as if they're making much, if any, money off of the first decade of the WWWF due to virtually nothing existing. Since it is the WWE and they're very selective about how accurate their history is, they can just focus on Jess McMahon being the man behind Capitol Wrestling similarly to what they do with Vince Sr. and the WWWF. With WWE's history, you would think that the WWE was created seemingly overnight the day after the NWA Title switch instead of just rebranding their company similarly to what the WWE has done multiple times in the time since.
    Good point! I think I read before WWE doesn't have much footage if any from that period. On the WWE 50 DVD they didn't even acknowledge Toots Mondt.

Thread Information