Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The CWC Years

Chikara Trainee

Status

The CWC Years

I've been on a big history kick and taken a strong interest in the Capitol Wrestling Corporation (CWC) years of WWE in the last year. The period doesn't get much coverage despite being a significant chunk of WWE's history. Hell, Toots Mondt was just acknowledged last year in the Legacy Wing of the WWE HOF. Spanning from 1952 when Jess McMahon (Vince Jr.'s grandfather) and Toots Mondt founded the company in DC to 1963 when the Thesz-Rogers NWA Title dispute led Vince Sr. and Mondt to leave the NWA and form the World Wide Wrestling Federation (WWWF) it boasts quite a few notables such as Antonino Rocca, Buddy Rogers, Dr. Jerry Graham, Bobo Brazil, Johnny Valentine and Karl Von Hess. At one point tag team wrestling dominated the territory and headlined w/ teams such as The Fabulous Kangaroos, Antonino Rocca & Miguel Pérez, Tolos Brothers, Don Curtis & Mark Lewin and The Graham Brothers. What do you guys know about this period?

Re: The CWC Years

I've always thought it was odd that the WWE tends to ignore the decade they were Capitol Wrestling, instead acting as if they were formed in 1963.

Chikara Trainee

Status

My guess is they would have to acknowledge it wasn't just the McMahons who contributed significantly to the empire. Also, they can't make much money off some of the names.

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    My guess is they would have to acknowledge it wasn't just the McMahons who contributed significantly to the empire. Also, they can't make much money off some of the names.
    I don't even think it's a matter of wanting to make money off of it. It's not as if they're making much, if any, money off of the first decade of the WWWF due to virtually nothing existing. Since it is the WWE and they're very selective about how accurate their history is, they can just focus on Jess McMahon being the man behind Capitol Wrestling similarly to what they do with Vince Sr. and the WWWF. With WWE's history, you would think that the WWE was created seemingly overnight the day after the NWA Title switch instead of just rebranding their company similarly to what the WWE has done multiple times in the time since.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    I don't even think it's a matter of wanting to make money off of it. It's not as if they're making much, if any, money off of the first decade of the WWWF due to virtually nothing existing. Since it is the WWE and they're very selective about how accurate their history is, they can just focus on Jess McMahon being the man behind Capitol Wrestling similarly to what they do with Vince Sr. and the WWWF. With WWE's history, you would think that the WWE was created seemingly overnight the day after the NWA Title switch instead of just rebranding their company similarly to what the WWE has done multiple times in the time since.
    Good point! I think I read before WWE doesn't have much footage if any from that period. On the WWE 50 DVD they didn't even acknowledge Toots Mondt.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I remember the pre WWWF days, but as a kid I didn't really get the politics.

There was going to be a tournament in Rio De Janeiro to crown the first WWWF World Champion. So it came down to Buddy Rogers vs Antonio Rocca in the final. As we know Rogers was the first WWWF World Champion.

But...

That never actually happened, yep, bogus. Rogers was just given the title.

Eddie and Jerry Graham the first tag champs.

Skull Murphy and Brute Bernard
    Handsome Johnny Barend and Magnificent Maurice
    Bob "Big O" Orton
    Vittorio Apollo
    Edouard Carpentier
    Skull Murphy and Karl Von Hess
    Rocca

All there in the beginning.

1961 Spring - Wrestling Revue
    Men (Heavyweight):

• Pat O'Connor
      - NWA World Champion
    • Buddy Rogers
      - NWA U.S. Champion
    • Edouard Carpentier
      - NAWA World Champion
    • Antonino Rocca
    • Whipper Watson
      - British Empire Champion
    • Verne Gagne
      - AWA World Champion
    • Bob Ellis
      - U.S. Champion [San Francisco]
    • Killer Kowalski
      - World Champion [Boston]
    • Gene Kiniski
      - AWA U.S. Champion
    • Dick Hutton
    Women:

• June Byers
      - World Champion
    • Lorraine Johnson
      - Texas Champion
    • Judy Grable
      - Southern Champion [Georgia]
    • Penny Banner
    • Cora Combs
    • Tona Tomah
    • Ella Waldek
    • Bonnie Watson
      - Southern Champion [Florida]
    • Kathy Starr
    • Rose Roman
    Tag Teams:

• Fabulous Kangaroos: Al Costello & Roy Heffernan
      - U.S. Champions [Capitol]
    • The Shire Brothers
      - AWA World Champions [Indianapolis]
    • Antonino Rocca & Miguel Perez
    • The Bastien Brothers
    • Bearcat Wright & Sweet Daddy Siki
    • Johnny Barend & Gene Dubuque
    • The Sharpe Brothers
    • The Gallagher Brothers
    • The Kalmikoff Brothers
    • Tiny Mills & Stanley Kowalski
      - AWA World Champions

1963/02 - Wrestling Revue
    Men (Heavyweight):

• Buddy Rogers
      - NWA World Champion
    • Verne Gagne
      - AWA World Champion
    • Pepper Gomez
      - U.S. Champion [San Francisco]
    • Edouard Carpentier
      - IWA World Champion
    • Lou Thesz
    • Gene Kiniski
    • Fred Blassie
      - WWA World Champion
    • Antonino Rocca
    • Bobo Brazil
    • Ray Stevens
    Women:

• June Byers
      - NWA World Champion
    • Fabulous Moolah
      - World Champion [Baltimore]
    • Karen Kellogg
      - World Lightweight Champion
    • Anne Casey
    • Lorraine Johnson
    • Judy Grable
    • Penny Banner
    • Vickie Adams
    • Kathy Starr
    • Judy Glover
    Tag Teams:

• Art Neilson & Stan Neilson
      - AWA World Champions
    • The Medics
      - Southern Champions [Gulf Coast]
    • The Bavarian Boys
    • Mike Clancy & Red McKim
      - World Champions [Texas]
    • The Bolos
    • Don Curtis & Joe Scarpa
      - World Champions [Florida]
    • Johnny Barend & Magnificent Maurice
    • Doug Gilbert & Joe Scarpello
    • Mitsu Arakawa & Kinji Shibuya
      - AWA World Champions [San Francisco]

965/06 - Sports Review Wrestling
    Men (Heavyweight):

• Lou Thesz
      - NWA World Champion
    • Bruno Sammartino
      - WWWF World Champion
    • Dr. Bill Miller
    • Ray Stevens
    • Fritz Von Erich
    • Waldo Von Erich
    • Gene Kiniski
    • Eddie Graham
    • Dick the Bruiser
      - WWA World Champion [Indianapolis]
    • Johnny Valentine
      - U.S. Champion [Detroit/Toronto]
    Tag Teams:

- Canadian Champions [Vancouver]
    • Bill Watts & Gorilla Monsoon
      - WWWF U.S. Champions
    • George Becker & Johnny Weaver
    • George Scott & Sandy Scott
    • Rip Hawk & Swede Hanson
    • Don Leo Jonathan & Roy McClarity
    • Tito Montez & Omar Atlas
    • Brute Bernard & Skull Murphy
    • The Kentuckians: Luke Brown & Grizzly Smith
    • Kurt Von Brauner & Karl Von Brauner
      - WWA World Champions [Indianapolis]
    Last edited by Emerson; 09-27-2018 at 03:39 AM.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson
    I remember the pre WWWF days, but as a kid I didn't really get the politics.

There was going to be a tournament in Rio De Janeiro to crown the first WWWF World Champion. So it came down to Buddy Rogers vs Antonio Rocca in the final. As we know Rogers was the first WWWF World Champion.

But...

That never actually happened, yep, bogus. Rogers was just given the title.

Eddie and Jerry Graham the first tag champs.

Skull Murphy and Brute Bernard
    Handsome Johnny Barend and Magnificent Maurice
    Bob "Big O" Orton
    Vittorio Apollo
    Edouard Carpentier
    Skull Murphy and Karl Von Hess
    Rocca

All there in the beginning.
    I thought Antonino Rocca and Miguel Pérez were the first champs. The Graham Brothers defeated them for the belts, no?

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I thought Antonino Rocca and Miguel Pérez were the first champs. The Graham Brothers defeated them for the belts, no?
    I have a book that lists all those records, could have sworn I saw...The Grahams...first on the list. See if I can find that book.

Capitol Wrestling Corporation

Tweet

Capitol Wrestling Corporation
    (1950s-1963)

I;m not buying Bearcat Wright being a heel, I saw him many time and he was always a babyface with some funny antics.

Back thing we never saw black wrestlers as villians for the obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Emerson; 09-28-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Wildman (Jackie) Fargo & Don Stevens (later known as Don Fargo) were billed as World Tag Team Champions when they came to the Northeast during the latter part of 1956 (which is around the time where the NYC area, with Mondt as booker, and the DC area, with Vince Sr., started booking the same talent). Rocca & Perez beat Fargo & Stevens at MSG on 3/30/57, and they were billed as World Tag Team Champions for the remainder of Rocca's tenure in the territory, which ended around December 1962.

The Grahams beat Mark Lewin & Don Curtis for the United States Tag Team Championship on 9/4/58, on the main Washington DC based TV show. The US tag titles was essentially the main championship for the territory, or at least the one that was consistently defended and with a known lineage. It remained as such until late 1967 or so, when the new tag belts were called the WWWF International Tag Team Title.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Found my book....Wrestling Almanac and Book of Facts.

A paragraph of confusing info then the list.

Eddie and Jerry Graham beat Rocca and Perez in 1957
    Curtis and Lewin beat The Grahams in 1958

That is under...WWF World Tag Team Title

But as popo0306 mentioned it wasn't that easy.

So Rocca and Perez won the title....???

Some of the teams to hold the title....

The Bastiens
    The Kangaroos
    Valentine and Rogers
    Valentine and Ellis
    Rogers and Barend
    Murphy and Bernard
    Austin and Scott
    Kowalski and Monsoon
    The Tolos

All before 64

Chikara Trainee

Status

Quote Originally Posted by popo0306
    Wildman (Jackie) Fargo & Don Stevens (later known as Don Fargo) were billed as World Tag Team Champions when they came to the Northeast during the latter part of 1956 (which is around the time where the NYC area, with Mondt as booker, and the DC area, with Vince Sr., started booking the same talent). Rocca & Perez beat Fargo & Stevens at MSG on 3/30/57, and they were billed as World Tag Team Champions for the remainder of Rocca's tenure in the territory, which ended around December 1962.

The Grahams beat Mark Lewin & Don Curtis for the United States Tag Team Championship on 9/4/58, on the main Washington DC based TV show. The US tag titles was essentially the main championship for the territory, or at least the one that was consistently defended and with a known lineage. It remained as such until late 1967 or so, when the new tag belts were called the WWWF International Tag Team Title.
    So were the US Tag Titles different from the World Tag Titles?

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

Status
      Country                    United States

Antonino Rocca and Miguel Perez held the CWC "World Tag Team Championship." That title just kind of disappeared. It was given to Jackie Fargo and Don Stevens in February, 1957 so that they could lose it to Rocca and Perez the following month. There were no other World Tag Team Champions in CWC after Rocca and Perez.

The most prestigious tag team title in CWC was the "United States Tag Team Championship." Off the top of my head the title history up until 1963 went like this:

MARK LEWIN & DON CURTIS DEFEAT HANS SCHMIDT & DICK THE BRUISER
    to become the first CWC United States Tag Team Champions in 1958.

EDDIE & DR. JERRY GRAHAM DEFEAT MARK LEWIN & DON CURTIS, 1958.

RED BASTIEN & LOU BASTIEN (KLEIN) DEFEAT EDDIE & DR. JERRY GRAHAM, 1960.

THE FABULOUS KANGAROOS (AL COSTELLO & ROY HEFFERNAN) DEFEAT RED BASTIEN AND LOU BASTIEN (KLEIN), 1960.

JOHNNY VALENTINE & COWBOY BOB ELLIS DEFEAT THE FABULOUS KANGAROOS, 1962.

NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS & HANDSOME JOHNNY BAREND DEFEAT JOHNNY VALENTINE & COWBOY BOB ELLIS, 1962.

THE GREAT SCOTT & KILLER BUDDY AUSTIN DEFEAT NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS & HANDSOME JOHNNY BAREND, 1963.

Keep in mind that CWC worked a number of angles in the venues in their Northeast territory where the title went back and forth between the above mentioned teams. I recall that Rogers and Valentine held the championship literally for a second just before Ellis and Valentine teamed up. The above covers who held the title from 1958 to 1963, but not every back and forth title switch angle in rematches.
    Last edited by Batko10; 10-10-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

Status

THE GREATEST MATCHES OF CAPITOL WRESTLING CORPORATION

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers & Handsome Johnny Barend (Challengers)
    vs.
    Johnny Valentine & Cowboy Bob Ellis (CWC United States Tag Team Champions)

One of the most well crafted and exciting matches that I ever saw on the regular Thursday night telecast of "Capitol Wrestling From Washington DC" was the title switch between United States Tag Team Champions Johnny Valentine and Cowboy Bob Ellis vs. Nature Boy Buddy Rogers and Handsome Johnny Barend.

The battle took place on July 5, 1962 with Arnold Skaaland as a last minute substitute for Ellis who was unable to get to the arena due to a "delayed flight." The belts were still on the line despite the Cowboy's absence.

In the first fall Rogers and Barend isolated Skaaland and beat him mercilessly (like a government mule? lol). Every time Valentine protested the heels' dirty tactics the ref would turn his back on the action to push Johnny V. back to his corner. The original Nature Boy and Handsome John took full advantage of the ref's eyes being elsewhere and continued to punish Skaaland.

Finally, Rogers latched on his patented Figure Four Grapevine and forced the Golden Boy to submit. After tapping out Arnie's suffering was not over, because Buddy refused to release the hold and continued to torture the battered Skaaland. Finally, Johnny V. pushed his way past Barend and drove Rogers out of the ring. Arnie couldn't continue and was carried from the ring on a stretcher, ostensibly with a broken leg.

The second fall saw Johnny V. battling valiantly against the heels, but it was obvious he was being worn down and it was only a matter of time before he succumbed to the incessant assault.

Just when it looked like Valentine was going to succumb to the vicious attack of the heels the crowd erupted. The television cameras swung from a view of the ring to Cowboy Bob Ellis running down the aisle in street clothes and carrying a travel suitcase. Ellis kicked off his street shoes and jumped into the ring, applied multiple bulldogheadlocks to both heels, and pinned Barend to win the second fall for his team.

The third fall featured everyone fighting inside and outside the ring. Finally, Ellis and Barend collided in the corner and knocked each other out. The referee was distracted by Valentine trying to get into the ring as Rogers grabbed an unconscious Barend by his hair and back of his trunks and threw him on top of Ellis for the victory. I remember wincing. That had to hurt Barend!

Rogers and Barend defeated Valentine and Ellis in a title rematch at Madison Square Garden on July 13, 1962. They defended the championship until March 7, 1963 when they lost to Killer Buddy Austin and The Great Scott on Capitol Wrestling's regular Thursday night television broadcast.
    Prior to his title reign with Barend, Rogers frequently teamed with the "Big O" Bob Orton (Randy Orton's grandfather). During the 1950s Rogers' main tag team partner was The Great Scott.

Taken from the internet:
    NATURE BOY BUDDY ROGERS & HANDSOME JOHNNY BAREND

JOHNNY VALENTINE & COWBOY BOB ELLIS

Last edited by Batko10; 10-10-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Chikara Trainee

Status

Reading that I felt like I watched it myself. Would you say the team of Rogers/Orton was on par w/ the team of Rogers/Barend?

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

Status

Reading that I felt like I watched it myself. Would you say the team of Rogers/Orton was on par w/ the team of Rogers/Barend?
    I liked Bob Orton, but Buddy's team with Johnny Barend was a better combo. From what I know, Rogers and Barend were also friends outside of wrestling and they worked like a well oiled team and crafted some really good matches.

Here's a good personal story about Handsome John. I was about 12 or 13 and went to a show at Sunnyside Gardens with my pal, Gary, and his dad. Shortly before the opening bell Johnny Barend came into the arena through the main doors. He was walking really fast and, apparently, was late and was rushing to get to the dressing room. My pal goes running up to him begging for an autograph. Barend kept looking straight ahead through his sunglasses and, not missing a stride, straight armed my buddy and sent him flying over a couple of chairs.

Man, I wish that had happened to me. Gary had bragging rights for months after that incident! LOL

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
    I liked Bob Orton, but Buddy's team with Johnny Barend was a better combo. From what I know, Rogers and Barend were also friends outside of wrestling and they worked like a well oiled team and crafted some really good matches.

Here's a good personal story about Handsome John. I was about 12 or 13 and went to a show at Sunnyside Gardens with my pal, Gary, and his dad. Shortly before the opening bell Johnny Barend came into the arena through the main doors. He was walking really fast and, apparently, was late and was rushing to get to the dressing room. My pal goes running up to him begging for an autograph. Barend kept looking straight ahead through his sunglasses and, not missing a stride, straight armed my buddy and sent him flying over a couple of chairs.

Man, I wish that had happened to me. Gary had bragging rights for months after that incident! LOL
    I always put Handsome Johnny in with Magnificent Maurice.

Rogers twice winning the WWF tag title, first with Valentine, second with Barend.
    Last edited by Emerson; 10-11-2018 at 12:50 AM.

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Emerson View Post
    I always put Handsome Johnny in with Magnificent Maurice.

Rogers twice winning the WWF tag title, first with Valentine, second with Barend.
    Rogers and Valentine were the CWC United States Tag Team Champions for like a second. I don't know what was up with that. In fact, as a kid watching Capitol Wrestling TV I was unaware of that title switch. They beat the 'Roos in Jersey on 11/19/1960 and then lost the title back to the 'Roos on 11/28/1960. I could never see Buddy and Johnny V. as tag team partners. They were great as adversaries, but not so much as partners.

Rogers and Barend had a great run as champs from July, 1962 to March, 1963.
    Last edited by Batko10; 10-11-2018 at 07:09 AM.

Nature Boy Buddy Rogers

Status

THE GREATEST MATCHES OF CAPITOL WRESTLING CORPORATION

Count Karl Von Hess

vs.

Abe Jacobs, The Jewish Champion

Frank Faketty created and lived the persona of one of the most hated and volatile heels of the Capitol Wrestling Corporation - Count Karl Von Hess. Only a decade after the end of WW II, the goose stepping, sieg heiling Von Hess created such heat that police were called out on numerous occasions to quell near riots and protect the German heel.

Faketty’s kayfabe persona was creating such volatile reactions among the fans that Vince McMahon, Sr. actually did the unimaginable and broke kayfabe in 1956. In response to the District of Columbia Athletic Commission’s outrage over the violent feud between Von Hess and Jackie Fargo, McMahon, Sr. made a statement that Von Hess was not really a Nazi. The statement was picked up by the Washington Post and printed in the paper.

Nonetheless, Karl Von Hess continued to leave a wake of destruction and chaos whereever he appeared. In 1959 or 1960 I remember personally seeing Count Karl Von Hess and Abe Jacobs, "The Jewish Champion," create a near riot on the live regular Thursday night telecast of Capitol Wrestling TV with Ray Morgan.

If my memory hasn't failed me, to the wild cheers of the fans Jacobs was the first to parade into the ring carrying a banner/flag emblazoned with a large Star of David. The cheers quickly turned to boos and catcalls as Karl Von Hess goose stepped around the ring. Turning to each of the four sides he faced the audience and gave the Nazi salute. The place was heating up to the point of explosion and the match hadn't even gotten underway.

Paper cups and garbage were already being tossed into the ring as the ref gave the two combatants their instructions. As the wrestlers turned to go back to their respective corners Von Hess wheeled around and attacked Jacobs from behind. The Count beat Jacobs like a government mule and then ripped the tag rope from one corner of the ring, wrapped it around Abe's neck, drapped Jacobs backward over his shoulder, and put him in a literal "Hangman's Noose."

The referee signaled that Von Hess was disqualified and the time keeper began to incessantly ring the bell as the crowd was out of their seats and advancing on the ring. Security guards took up positions and got Von Hess out of there before the fans could kill him. The next thing I remember is that they went to a commercial break.

The most amazing thing about this match was that they actually had it on prime time television and it was seen in millions of homes across Capitol Wrestling territory!!!

For those of you who are not familiar with the creator of Karl Von Hess, Frank Faketty was NOT German, but of Hungarian parents who immigrated to the States. The biggest irony is that he served in the United States Navy as a frogman (military scuba diver) and fought against the Nazi Germans during WW II.

Frank Faketty lived his persona in and out of the ring. During the trial of a fan who stabbed him after a match Faketty refused to speak English and demanded a German intepreter when he took the stand to testify!!!

COUNT KARL VON HESS & FREQUENT TAG TEAM PARTNER, SKULL MURPHY

Last edited by Batko10; 10-11-2018 at 07:12 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Bringing back things I'd forgotten about, love it.

Obviously Skull Murphy (did see in Fresno) and Brute Bernard.

WAKE UP

Status

is there much footage of this era available online?

Thread Information