Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

25 May - World Grand Prix DAY 3 Promo Discussion Thread

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Re: 25 May - World Grand Prix DAY 3 Promo Discussion Thread

I'll review promos as they come in but I really wanna get to people I didn't last week. I owe Tommy Thunder one for sure.

Kasper Ozmeichel

Status
      Country                    Denmark

eyyy can i get an E X T E N S I O N plz

IT'S
    THE DANISH WAY TO ROCK
    IT'S THE DANISH WAY TO ROCK
    IT'S THE DANISH WAY TO ROCK

People's Champion

Status

Deal. AS long as there is a scene where the Vultures dance the Macarena in said promo.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Can I get an extension? I was deciding if I should promo or no show to leave Starr vs. Manson as the finale of our group. Still undecided.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

People's Champion

Status

I really don't get why you would do that, bruh, to be honest...but yeah. You got it.

Demon Bunny

Status
      Country                    United States

Ext?

People's Champion

Status

Granted.

HOSS MOD

Status

Goddamn work.

Afraid I have to no-show. Sorry, Gambit, but you're a worthy winner. With Memorial Day having eaten up all my time, I haven't had time to crank out something. Again, apologies. I'll be sure to get something in next time.

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Oh. My. God.

Circle Jerker

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Oh. My. God.
    look at her butt.

anyhoo, ill be out of town for the long weekend so wont be able to review the promos that have extensions until later, but for the ones posted already:

Toner – What the fuck did I just read lulzzzzzz. Whatever it was, this was hella creative lol and such a great example of what youre capable of when you have time to format it well and make it neat on the eyes. The lack of off-beat narration styles in FWA currently really make this one stick out in a really good way, and it was funny without being ham-fisted~ a nitpick ill throw out there is that id rather you not take the shortcut of describing the scene cut as “Wyatt style”; actually describe it! This kind of tongue-in-cheek format will take a lot of diversity to keep fresh over time, but if you’re up for it, it portends for great things in the future.

Deception - i like this as a tease of something bigger and better to come for Deception, and this was a good use of promo time despite Deception being unable to affect the outcome of Group B anymore. im compelled to point out your very curious line of attack, with that ending bit where Deception is like, trying to recruit Chris Kennedy? that is at once both strange yet fascinating if something even remotely similar to that ever came to pass. i could totally see Deception being a Farcry 5-type megalomaniac leader of a cult in the future. per usual however, the scene setting and and formatting could use work, but i like where the arrows are pointing for Deception story-wise.

Randall - i thought the infomercial premise of this one was really strong, and it was pretty funny and refreshing. This is also a good example of using the cats being present as a nice detail and having them involved but not being overly the focus of Randall/Penny promos. it ended a little too abruptly for me though, like you did a lot of good work with cheeky interplay between Penny trying to direct Jason and then did a good job of encompassing what happened in Group B, but then it just drops a 'scene comes to a close' curtain which lands with a clunk. also i was triggered by one of my pet presentation personal peeves (4P lulz), which is some sentences having periods and others mysteriously dont.

PAJ -for what it is, it was excellent. PAJ promos are married to a certain presentation and format, for better or worse. and in this case, i thought that it was for 'worse', but im only pointing that out because i think the actual promo content of what you wrote is very strong. PAJ promos always bring doses of realism which i appreciate. however, i really think that if you had deviated from the block-monologue format during your final sell, the part where you reveal that PAJ knew 'it was always about Bell', it wouldve pushed that final attack from the realm of very good to great. the two high points of your promo, that part and the earlier 'jack fucking shit' part, would've been much stronger if they weren't mono-blocks (also, i think you confused last BIB with the one in 2016 lulz which kind of derailed the argument). i feel like im being overly negative on a promo that was very good and very strong, but i just wanted to point out that there were a lot of parts of it, such as the line of attacks against Bell and delving into PAJs place in the landscape before Viktor appeared, where i was like this is 'great' or would have transcended the whole promo into that 'great' level if the presentation was just a little more diversified from the usual.

Bell -this was a weird one for me, squarely ended up imo also falling into the 'very good but just missed being great' sentiment that i had with PAJ but for like an entirely different reason. first off, as always, points for high creativity and excellent 'direction' of the non-speaking/setting scenes. and the first half line of attack against PAJ was excellent... but the second half of the promo for me started to unravel a little bit because imo it felt like you were trying too hard to fit PAJ the character into the theme that you wanted to go with even though PAJ the character over the past few months didnt really fit the themes, to the point where there were bits at the end where it didnt even feel like you were promoing against PAJ anymore lulz. i think you reeled it back in with your final sell when the focus came back to Bell proper, but i got the sense you fell in love too hard with the concept and the promo became insular. Bell wont have this problem with every character, but its important to point out that this promo didnt reach 'great' level for me specifically because i think you misplayed the heel vs heel dynamic. however, one thing i did definitely notice is that this promo, even though there are still spelling mistakes and flubs (WGTT? paging shelton benjamin), the formatting was pretty clean~

Starr - withheld until after extension

Ty - this felt like 1/3 of a great promo lulz. no idea if you did this on purpose or not but the lack of coloring accentuated the grimy feel.

Galloway - props for the ambitious formatting, and despite not knowing why you went with this format i wanna take this chance to discuss it in-depth. i think a stream-of-consciousness format is very high-risk-high reward, but seeing as you literally stripped everything else from the promo, it leaves the bar that the internal monologue has to clear at an extremely high peg. Without any backstory or setting or foils to play off of, it really had to be a raw tour-de-force to get over. in this case, do i think this promo got there? not exactly, because it was lacking in certain areas, mainly that the line of attack against Cyrus kind of neglected Cyrus' recent history. but the logic from Galloways perspective was solid, and you embraced the role of the underdog with passion. one other thing i want to point out is that going 100% all monologue isnt an exclusive choice, and that maybe a 90% monologue with maybe 10% descriptions/setting might have enhanced the final overall promo. this promo didnt knock it out of the park for me but it was a solid double, and as we can see from what else went down in Group D, sometimes a swing that makes contact is more than enough. you set yourself an extremely high bar and while i dont think it got 'there', i cant help but applaud the effort, no matter how it came to be~

Eyesnsane
    - this was short but also reflective of the kind of Eyesnsane that i prefer more as opposed to when Eyesnsane is balling out with Peyton Manning at a golf course. of course it would get a little bland if every Eyes promo was like this but i think a shot of realism was what was needed at this stage, and happily thats what we got~ it got a little to convoluted imo at the end but as a whole, i think you encapsulated Group A well enough that the line of attack against Ty was still adequate. i think this kind of more understated Eyesnsane is a good bluepring of how to get Eyes over as a face in the near future, because its more relatable and easier to get behind.

Kennedy - typical Kennedy smarm, when it works it works lulz. i liked the tribute to David Otunga.

Parr - i think you did a good job of balancing the reality of this match being a non-factor in Group B with making the situation work for Parr, and i think that if i were to put myself in your shoes i wouldve portrayed Parr the same way: lean and brooding. we've seen hints of Parr building up to something ever since the prelude show in HK and i thought this was another clever way to play it, with Parr not taking the bait of being bitter or even fixating on the finish between him and Kennedy while not issuing Randall a free pass. it was short enough to be succinct, still biting enough to remind people what a stylish writer you can be, but the nicest touch of all was that it still remained mysterious enough to keep people interested in whatever Parr is still keeping hidden in his sleeve, without being overly hokey or ham-fisted.
    Last edited by KAIZEN; 05-25-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I will be leaving promo reviews post-show and during the promo week for the next show. We are hoping to get the show up tomorrow.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Wanted to apologies to WOLF, and in turn Starr and Manson (seeing as my no show possibly had an effect on the final placing of the group after Day 3) for the no show. I just didn't have time to get anything in this time unfortunately. Fascinating how things turned out in the end. The Finals show is going to be amazing, can't wait to see the promos the 4 semi finalists turn out.

Thread Information