Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1079

Thread: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

Anyone know If Croatia were to win the final on extra time would that be some kind of a record for most minutes played by the cup winners. Can’t think of many winners that needed extra time every KO round.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    Anyone know If Croatia were to win the final on extra time would that be some kind of a record for most minutes played by the cup winners. Can’t think of many winners that needed extra time every KO round.
    Sounds like it would be. Can’t think of anyone going to Extra Time in every knockout game all the way to the final. Think I heard on a podcast the other day too that Croatia are the first side to come from behind in consecutive knockout games to qualify (three games in a row after tonight). I’d imagine the 33/1 pre-tournament odds they had must be some kind of record price for a team that’s made the final.

http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=165683
    BEING THE BOOKER

COMING SOON (hopefully)

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Probably int he World Cup, yeah.

Also, I really don't mind the England squad or the manager. It's just the punditry I cannot stand. I hate the constant self-wankery over fuck all and the complete and utter bullshit spewed. Not to mention the complete disrespect shown to other teams at times. I think if media wasn't so circlejerky then I wouldn't mind England that much. I'd still get a small sliver of satisfaction at them losing but nowhere near as much.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

GOAT

Status
      Country                    United States

Well, at least now we don't have to hear the "It's coming home" line anymore.
    Fate whispers to the warrior
    'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back,

I am the storm.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    Well, at least now we don't have to hear the "It's coming home" line anymore.

Especially because it's debatable whether England is 'home' to football in the first place tbh. Though I guess the line was really first thought of due to a song and tournament rather than that notion.

~~ WE ARE ALL ONE~~
    Spoiler:

GOAT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    Especially because it's debatable whether England is 'home' to football in the first place tbh. Though I guess the line was really first thought of due to a song and tournament rather than that notion.
    That always made me chuckle and wonder myself.

Wasn't it's earliest traces back to Ancient China? And than later onto Ancient Rome and Greece, and from there onto central America?

England may have given it the term "football" and formalized it as it is known currently, but the sport in some way shape or form goes way before that. But I guess that's a matter of how you look at it.

I am the storm.

Status

I've never really bought into any "the game started in ancient times" idea. There is no direct lineage. There are only some similarities. How similar does it have to be to be a "predecessor"? Will a kick and chase game without teams suffice, or are teams a fundamental part of the game? Goals? Defined playing field? I've read a few histories on the sport and they go through the "predecessor" games, but I don't think any have tried to make an argument of direct lineage. The sport was invented by the English. And perhaps more importantly, spread by the English.

I don't really call myself an England fan, but I definitely threw behind them after Germany went out.I keep going back and forth on this match. They should be proud that they did better than anyone expected and got the whole country behind them. But its hard not to feel a bit let down by this performance. A massive opportunity missed.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

The irony and self depreciation at the centre of three lions has always been lost on a lot of people.

GOAT

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I've never really bought into any "the game started in ancient times" idea. There is no direct lineage. There are only some similarities. How similar does it have to be to be a "predecessor"? Will a kick and chase game without teams suffice, or are teams a fundamental part of the game? Goals? Defined playing field? I've read a few histories on the sport and they go through the "predecessor" games, but I don't think any have tried to make an argument of direct lineage. The sport was invented by the English. And perhaps more importantly, spread by the English.

I don't really call myself an England fan, but I definitely threw behind them after Germany went out.I keep going back and forth on this match. They should be proud that they did better than anyone expected and got the whole country behind them. But its hard not to feel a bit let down by this performance. A massive opportunity missed.
    Again, like I said, that's open for how you take it.

But yes, uniformed rules and overall closest to modern association football/soccer is credited to the English. But the game played was largely similar to that the Ancient Chinese, Romans, Central Americans, etc played.

This is a good read on it.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/who-...ame/index.html

Another interesting thing of note?
    The term soccer was originally penned by the English.

http://time.com/5335799/soccer-word-origin-england/
    Last edited by TB12; 07-11-2018 at 09:00 PM.

I am the storm.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    Probably int he World Cup, yeah.

Also, I really don't mind the England squad or the manager. It's just the punditry I cannot stand. I hate the constant self-wankery over fuck all and the complete and utter bullshit spewed. Not to mention the complete disrespect shown to other teams at times. I think if media wasn't so circlejerky then I wouldn't mind England that much. I'd still get a small sliver of satisfaction at them losing but nowhere near as much.
    I agree 100%

I don't even mind most England fans since they have every right to be buzzing this summer and there was always a hint of irony to Its Coming Home.

And this England team and especially their manager are incredibly likeable.

But the media were really unbearable this tournament, and did show a total lack of respect to Croatia I felt.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Roy Keane said as much on ITV

Ian Wright's response was to make fun of his accent.

Take that Roy.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    Croatia tied England’s tournament time from 1990 I believe.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by v4yne View Post
    Again, like I said, that's open for how you take it.

But yes, uniformed rules and overall closest to modern association football/soccer is credited to the English. But the game played was largely similar to that the Ancient Chinese, Romans, Central Americans, etc played.

This is a good read on it.

https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/who-...ame/index.html

Another interesting thing of note?
    The term soccer was originally penned by the English.

http://time.com/5335799/soccer-word-origin-england/
    Knew about where the label soccer comes from.

I don't know if its true but I read somewhere that FIFA began promoting the "Ancient Chinese game" link right at the exact point they started courting Chinese sponsors. Seems like a FIFA move lol

I'm open to being convinced about the lineage. Its just that like I said. I just haven't read something that make it seem connected.

Curious on how England are going to approach the 3rd place playoff. Give everyone a run out who hasn't played yet, or actually try to win the damned thing?

As for the final.... I just want an entertaining match. France final clicking and running riot sounds fun but wouldn't make for the most entertaining final. A close fought battle is what I'm hoping for.

Brick Shithouse

Status

I think everyone who is fit from England and Belgium s starting XI will play. Probably no Trippier, Henderson, maybe not Walker or Kane either. It's a chance at Belgium's best ever finish, and England's best finish since 1966. Would be a shame if they both treated it like a friendly after the tournament they've had.

As for the final, I wouldn't expect a high scoring game. Finals rarely are at the best of times, and France are very pragmatic. Croatia should be knackered too (though we thought that about last night too).

I'm thinking 1-0 France. Not too fussed though either way. Both would make worthy winners.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Status

Croatia winning the World Cup would be awesome on so many levels. Such a tiny nation for that kind of success. And I don't think it would feel like Greece winning the Euros, because they haven't taken a negative approach.

Expect the talent of France to win out, and there will be deserving. I still feel like they haven't really had a match where they hit full stride. They were great in attack in the Argentina match, but that was also their worst defensive performance. Will feel a bit weird to me if they win with another "really solid but not spectacular" 1-0 win against Croatia and we never see what France truly should be capable of. In truth, it won't matter - they will still be champions and worth ones. But that would probably be a the one "regret" I would have about this World Cup, which has been flat out fucking amazing.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I would hope that England treat the game with respect, play a strong team and try to win. It wouldn't make up for last night's performance, but it ends the tournament on a better note than back to back defeats. If England play a weaker side and Belgium play full strength then Lukaku might just be able to catch up to Kane and that would be gutting for the captain. I can't see anyway given how Kane claims for goals for fun in the PL that he's gonna tell Southgate he's tired and wants to skip this game. I honestly could see Southgate playing Butland because Pickford was one of the few who wasn't rested in the 'everyone gets a turn 3rd group game'.

I like Croatia, but it's going to be so gutting if they win the WC. I need to see a comfortable win for France on Sunday to confirm in my mind we wouldn't of had a chance against them.

Cider 'I' Up

Status

After getting over the heartache of last night I’ve come to the obvious conclusion that we were just beaten by the better team and unfortunately the right team won on the night, we had a job to do to close down four players and we didn’t do it and we got punished as simple as that!

What a brilliant start with Trippiers free kick, what a hit and even I thought were getting in this final after that and the rest of the team thought so too because they could of hit more while the iron was hot, after the first half we didn’t really learn are lesson the service into Kane was not there at all but Kane was quiet all game too, no one really had a standout game for england last night except maybe Pickford but he was still beaten at his near post if I’m being picky, despite his amazing tournament.

But take so much positives from this young England side they made me and whole country believe again, the World Cup is so much more than a game of football it’s life pretty much, they brought everyone together even the people who dislike football, they pretty much love it too!

I will never forget the boys winning a penalty shootout in a major tournament that’s big and what a team we will have under gareath Southgate, this is the start of something so big for this English football team, they have done everyone proud!

We win together as a country and we loose together as a country.

#threelions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    Cyber bullying just made me 12 bucks. Sweet.
    2017 Movie Log

Internet Favorite

Status

Third place play off between England and Belgium. I thought this was going to start at 7. Didn’t know it was on at 3pm. They both had a great tournament. The dream is over for England. For some it’s a pointless game but I do like that they always have a 3rd place match in the WC. I always wanted to see this in the Euros. Have a feeling that they may scrap the third place match in future WC tournaments.

England finished fourth in Italia 90 so finishing third here would be our second best WC campaign. Let’s get our win back over Belgium and finish this off with a win and get the bronze medal. Expecting Kane to secure the golden boot. We’ve made five changes for this game. Belgium look a lot stronger, expecting them to win 2-1.

The EST of WC

Status

Glad im not the only one who thought this started at 7 .

FYI the final is on at 4 tomorrow too.

The EST of WC

Status

Welp...that was quick

Thread Information