Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1079

Thread: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

I'm a Stone Cold Lee Guy.

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Re: World Cup 2018 Discussion Thread

England blew it hard. Should have finished it at half time. They should have crushed them in 90 and they should have crushed them in extra time.

It doesn't matter if it's the group stages or a semi final.

Cream always rises to the top.

England were bottlers. Are Bottlers and will forever be bottlers.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Absolutely gutted but Croatia deserved that in the end.

England played well to get to far despite a lack of experience and no expectations. I have hope for the future. Pickford has been sensational all tournament. England player of the tournament for me.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Well done to Croatia. Really turned it on after the first half. Think England wilted a little bit and nerves got the better. Thought they were the better team in first half of ET though. I'd say, on balance of play, Croatia deserved it.

Congratulations to England on making the semi finals. A part of me thinks they got bracket blessed (as did Spain) but you can only beat what's put infront of you. They'll get better too. Definitely think they blew a chance of a lifetime though. Not sure a bracket will fall so favourably for them in quite a while.

Hope Croatia win the whole thing now but can't see it.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Man of the Hour

Status
      Country                    Turkey

On the brightside, Vida is in the final now. Give 40 million Euros for him or go home.

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putig View Post
    Ed can you deactivate my account thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by An Original Name View Post
    Same for me thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    #MeToo

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Premature lads. I always knew he’d win it for them.

Established Veteran

Status

We wasted our chances in the first half. Devastated not to get to the final. England had a fantastic tournament. Never expected them to make it this far. Sad that it’s not coming home but let’s now get our win back over Belgium and finish third. Southgate has done a brilliant job. We have a young team and the future looks great for England. Very proud of the team and they will get better. I don’t think we’ll ever get this chance again for a very long time. We now have the League of Nations tournament. I think Croatia are in our group so hope we get our revenge.

Credit to Croatia, they made their first WC final. Their top players stepped up tonight. A team that has over achieved. Modric player of the tournament. I think they will upset France. Hope I’m wrong as I want to see France now winning their second WC.

The EST of WC

Status

Welp now that ENGLAND PRIDE is over for a few more years i can play devils advocate...This team really didn't do any better than those that came before them. They just had a much easier run to reach this stage and so look like HEROES. Tunisia & Panama were pretty straightforward games so were never gonna lose. When it came to their first real test in Belgium....they lost. When it came to their second real test in Colombia they almost threw it away at the last minute and just about made it through...As with Panama & Tunisia Sweden was a pretty straightforward win...then their third real test in Croatia......yep. That was their best chance in years they had to make the final and realistically they should have made it. Ah well.

Its a young squad so they can be forgiven. its certainly a good sign for the future of the country. Hopefully by the time the euros come around they've grown and gelled much more.

MACHKA

Status
      Country                    Russian Federation

Hahahahahahahah hahahahaa 4 year platinum account pls ed

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putig View Post
    Hahahahahahahah hahahahaa 4 year platinum account pls ed

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Ole!

Status

Looking forward to the Euros and already got myself registered for when tickets go on sale

THE MAN

Status

England were bottlers. Are Bottlers and will forever be bottlers.
    Apart from the year we won it, something the other home nations will never ever do. Classic small nation mentality.

Experience told out in the end. Croatia are full of big players at their peak (or maybe coming to the end of their peak) whereas we're a young, inexperienced squad several years away from their peak. All we have in terms of world class talent is Harry Kane and he's not looked good since midway through the Colombia game. We lost our heads completely when it went 1-1 and were lucky to take it into extra time. We did the same thing against Colombia where we were rattled for most of Extra time, exactly the same after the penalty against Tunisia. Not taking our chances has been a theme in every game other than the Panama exhibition and it's bitten us in the arse tonight, should of been at least 2-0 at HT with Kane's double chance and I was fearing a comeback at that stage. 2nd half was just painful as we continued to keep trying the long ball game and our passing was so sloppy it just invited pressure back on ourselves. Their equaliser had been coming and Southgate didn't react quickly enough to a poor start to the 2nd half. I think we were actually the better team in extra time but again had no composure or resolve to deal with going 1 behind. Their mentally need to get stronger in future tournaments, and maybe that'll come in time as they mature as players with their clubs.

It's still much better than I hoped for and it's restored a lot of pride in international football in this country. Yes it was an easier bracket, but you can only beat what's put in front of you and that applies to Croatia too, they've had a dream route to the final and needed extra time to get past everyone. Don't know what CGS is banging on about, we just watched a tournament where the likes of Spain and Germany crashed out early against underdogs, and watched England crash out in previous tournaments to shit nations, don't take us getting to the semis for granted and getting some monkeys off our backs. Belgium game was practically a friendly game with our reserves against theirs. Also, I'm not buying this once in a lifetime idea because who could of watched those two semi finals and thought yeah England can beat France if they get past Croatia; we're a young team, there will be chances for success again, but I don't think this was our time.

What I hope happens now is these players grow and develop into better players and get plenty of gametime at their clubs and make these positions their own in the Euro qualifiers. Rashford needs to get his career going with more game time, he didn't really offer us anything when he came on and looks very much a kid still learning the game. Vardy and Welbeck produced nothing so new strikers need to emerge from somewhere. Sterling and Alli really need to up their game for England and start scoring again because their poor returns in end product hampered us too. Hopefully Young makes way for a proper left back, he'd of been toast against Mbappe. Pickford has nailed down that #1 shirt now which is good for the future and Trips and McGuire too have really grown into his role as first teamers.

France should win on Sunday.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

To be fair yous only did as well as Wales did two years ago and even they had to beat a good team to make the semis. And look how they did at the world cup.

But while I admit England had a really good tournament, loads of things went massively in their favour to get to the semis and I don't think this is necessarily the beginning of something bigger for them. You'll never get an easier route to a final than you had this year and it's rare to have a tournament with so many big teams dropping out, and all the others on one side of the draw.

Status

Ok, in all seriousness. Fair play to England, They gelled perfectly, and played very well, better then anyone said they would.In

Including me;

As an Irish man, As always my highlight of any tournament is seeing the English convince themselves they can win. play terribly and then become shellshocked and turn on their own team when they lose 4-0 in the second round

The circle of life.
    We've all used t thinking of the english team so negatively but if nothing else, this world cup shows everything positive about the world cup, and I'd be very hopeful about the euros

Apart from the year we won it, something the other home nations will never ever do. Classic small nation mentality.
    ...I take it all back.
    The most amazing thing about this recent conversation is that I've learned AON is even more of a waste of space than I thought he was previously

MACHKA

Status

England done alright yea, semifinal flattered them but done well. I’m with Ed tho that Denmark, Russia, England is a gift to the final. Lobsided bracket for sure. England actually done decent tho and could only beat what was in front of them.

Kane hasn’t been great lads, I know that’s an unpopular opinion but he scored a few penos and banged them in against Tunisia and Panama. If this next sentence makes any sense; Kane is a class player but I don’t think he’s WORLD class ... yet.

Pickford is a great goalkeeper his only dodgy thing is he doesn’t seem ENTIRELY comfortable with the back passes. Maguire and Tripps are two of my new faves.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I thought Kane was excellent against Colombia and Sweden, but dogshit in the Tunisia and Croatia games. He was ok against Panama but then again it was Panama. The golden boot really flatters him and I think there were a fair few better strikers in the tournament.

The EST of WC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    It's still much better than I hoped for and it's restored a lot of pride in international football in this country. Yes it was an easier bracket, but you can only beat what's put in front of you and that applies to Croatia too, they've had a dream route to the final and needed extra time to get past everyone. Don't know what CGS is banging on about, we just watched a tournament where the likes of Spain and Germany crashed out early against underdogs, and watched England crash out in previous tournaments to shit nations, don't take us getting to the semis for granted and getting some monkeys off our backs. Belgium game was practically a friendly game with our reserves against theirs. Also, I'm not buying this once in a lifetime idea because who could of watched those two semi finals and thought yeah England can beat France if they get past Croatia; we're a young team, there will be chances for success again, but I don't think this was our time.
    I mean.....that's kinda what it was though.

Look i'm not trying to say England were pure shite and lucked their way through to the semis because that would be false. They got a good run and played well to make it through when previous incarnations would have found a way to fail. But we have to be realistic in the way we look at this. Not only did a bunch of big nations fall quite early on we found ourselves on the other side of France, Uruguay, Argentina, Portugal & Brazil. Half the teams we faced were pretty straightforward results and the other half were slightly tricky and we either failed (Belgium & Croatia) or just about slipped through (Colombia). Personally i don't feel like England looked any more convincing here than in previous tournaments and i feel like the "age" thing will be the scapegoat (I mean its partly true but a few of those guys have been playing top level footy for some of the top clubs for years now i.e. Kane, Sterling, Walker, Young, Alli, Hendo etc...) but ultimately being semi finalist flattered this team on the basis of how they played.

Time will tell how this team develops. I really hope they do find some success because its the most likable England team in years.

THE MAN

Status

...I take it all back.
    Can't be snarky for 4 weeks and then be all 'look at what he said' when someone responds

Status

Sure you can, the political section of WC proves that daily.

I kid I kid

All kidding aside, it's about time that the English team gets some positive vibes going, Really hope they roll on for the euros.

MACHKA

Status

One hundred percent agree it’s the most likeable England team AND gaffer in years.

But Who's Buying?
    Cumine the Trine!

Status

I know exactly what CGS is saying.

This England team beat Tunisia (in the last minute), Panama, Colombia (on penalties) and Sweden (you lot only needed your keeper to pull of 3 top saves and earn the MOTM award for that one) - they're hardly world-beaters. Also fair play set pieces are a big part of football in the modern age, but I'm sure approximately 80% of England's goals come from set pieces? It's not like they were playing sweeping attacking football either. The draw has been very kind to everyone on that side of the bracket & I can't imagine France are exactly quaking in their boots for Croatia who most definitely deserved to beat England on the balance of play tonight.

England were the better side first half but didn't make that many chances (I'm fairly sure Kane's double chance was given offside in the end as England managed 1 shot on target in the entire game apparently), so I can only really remember Lingard's chance when he badly fluffed his lines. Other than that the only chance I can really remember was Stones in first half ET - when England got back on top tbf.

Wtf was Stones at for the goal anyway, can see why he's City's 4th choice CB. And if Trippier knew his groin was struggling, he should have told the bench so they'd have taken him off instead of Walker fs.

That's not to say a few lads have shone this WC - Maguire, Trippier & Pickford being the obvious choices last few games. Hendo had been doing well but struggled a bit tonight.

Watching Mbappe against that Vida tube should be fun at least.

And he scores goals...!

Thread Information