Thread: Spots That Should NOT Finish a Match

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Spots That Should NOT Finish a Match

I feel like I've been seeing these more and more in WWE lately. Spots that you see all the time used for heat, transitions or just another standard move - but give me this jarring "That's it?" reaction when they're the actual finish. At best it's anti-climatic, at worst it make the recipient look like shit for being unable to kick out of something that 999 other times out of 1000 couldn't finish anyone. And then it's also really confusing when it happens to an uppercard worker. How did this guy kick out of multiple F5s at that PPV a couple weeks ago, but lose in 8 minutes to THAT?

I'm talking about spots like:

- Low blows. We see these play a factor in finishes all the time and that's fine, because usually what ends up happening is it's followed by a rollup, or even a rollup assisted by pulling the tights or rope leverage. But when I see a low blow and the guy falls down, then gets a standard cover for a 3-count with no resistance, like the kick to the balls was the same as taking a finisher, that just makes no sense to me. You'd be writhing around in pain too much that either you'd still be able to kick out anyway, or your opponent would have no choice but to roll you up and force your shoulders down. Just hooking the leg should do fuck-all in this circumstance.

On a similar note, crotching someone on the top turnbuckle and the fall to the mat. Same thing. We see this spot in about half of all matches ever. But every now and then, someone actually gets pinned because of it. When done as a finish, it's considered a heel spot, so it has the effect of coming across like the babyface just lost clean anyway.

- DQ via illegal tag run-in. I hate this. Every tag match has the same structure that we've just come to accept is the way tag matches work. After the hot tag, fresh babyface cleans house and from that point on it's a free-for-all, with the referee only required to give the illusion of an attempt to enforce tags, and the wrestlers only required to make necessary tags so the right guys are legal for the finish. BUT every once in a while, an illegal partner will break up a pin and WOAH NOW WE CAN'T HAVE THAT NOW, CAN WE? Referee calls for the bell. Fucking what? Why does this only matter now? And I don't think I've ever seen this happen when the breakups were done to an excess that you can buy the referee having to call a stop to this chaos, I've only seen it like the first or second breakup.

- Top rope finisher misses. This is the least offensive of these three for me, because sometimes it can look devasting but unfortunately I think it only works when it does look devastating. For example, the momentum that must go into Neville's Twisting SSP, I can buy that ending him if he ate the canvas. If Jeff Hardy got pinned after missing a Swanton, I couldn't.

What else shouldn't finish a match?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: Spots That Should NOT Finish a Match

I don't mind low blows as a finish.

The worst ones are the ones that don't fit what we've seen in wrestling beforehand. So for example, let's say a heel wins by nefarious means but all of a sudden a second referee comes out to correct the first one. Sometimes they'll go to video replay and restart the match. But they won't do that for every moment like that so it comes across as lazy and contrived.

Double count outs are sometimes ok, I'm not against them as a concept, but 99% of them are awful and very predictable. It's worse in WWE than any others because the referee gives the count out finish away by being unusually loud in the count.

Watching back on old WWE, and one thing that used to boil me was the referees getting knocked out and conveniently reviving just in time to count the fall. Thankfully they are so much better now with that. But rewatch any match with a ref bump from 1998-2008 for example and it's painful.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

DQ via illegal tag run-in.
    I think it's a explained that in WWE, you only have one chance to run in a break the pin (I think it's called burning your tag or something), anything after that will be an automatic DQ. I think Dean Ambrose explained it once when he was on commentary few years ago. I agree that it's dumb though.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

The ones that irk me are when the ref looks dumb moreso than the loser looking weak. I'm talking about things where it's clear cheating has taken place like a ref took a bump and the heel did a chairshot that obviously makes a recognisable noise and the ref just recovers, sees the babyface down and counts it.

One that always gets me is when the finish is that someone has been choked out/passed out and the ref will call for the bell really quickly without taking much of a check at them, yet if you slap a sleeper or some shit halfway through the match on a babyface the ref does the dopey raise the arm three times, it flops down twice but then the babyface through FIGHTING SPIRIT keeps the arm up on the third and wakes up again. Why not in those instances where it's the finish, just do the arm drop 3 times so that it looks like it's a regulation check the refs have to do in potential passed out situations and you condition your audience to sometimes expect

Also if you're gonna do the tight grab thing to steal a rollup victory it's gotta look tight and have a sense of struggle to it - that one is more on execution though.

Son Of Anarchy

Status
      Country                    United States

I hate steel cage matches where people could eaisly get out of cage but climb up and over instead going through door
    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

A few that come to mind are things that happened in the 80's, and in places other than WWF, are over-the-top-rope DQs, stopping the match for bleeding when the person bleeding (usually a babyface) is on the offensive, and time limit draws just as the babyface (usually challenging for a title) is about to win (I use the botched Ric Flair vs Scott Steiner Clash of Champions title match as an example).

One WWF used to use (frequently with Hogan) is when a referee gets knocked out, a babyface gains the advantage and goes for a pin, the referee comes to and calls for the bell making the babyface (and the crowd) think he won by pinfall, when it turns into a DQ either against the babyface or against the heel champion.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Curtain Jerker

Status

For me it all really depends on if the finish is logical or not within the context of the match and show. One I really hated recently was the Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe finish where Roman Reigns was knocked out and it looked like the referee should of called for the bell but then the referee doesn’t do anything and Roman Reigns made a Superman comeback to win. It made zero sense and drove me nuts and hurt both guys and the legitimacy of the referee for me.

Crotch hits should definitely be done less and be protected more because you can incapacitate someone with a low blow and should be able to win with one I think but as Marketh said you need to do something to keep the shoulders down for the victory.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB
    I hate steel cage matches where people could eaisly get out of cage but climb up and over instead going through door
    It's probably done for the dramatic effect.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat
    A few that come to mind are things that happened in the 80's, and in places other than WWF, are over-the-top-rope DQs, stopping the match for bleeding when the person bleeding (usually a babyface) is on the offensive, and time limit draws just as the babyface (usually challenging for a title) is about to win (I use the botched Ric Flair vs Scott Steiner Clash of Champions title match as an example).

One WWF used to use (frequently with Hogan) is when a referee gets knocked out, a babyface gains the advantage and goes for a pin, the referee comes to and calls for the bell making the babyface (and the crowd) think he won by pinfall, when it turns into a DQ either against the babyface or against the heel champion.
    Wackest rule ever! It was Watts who employed that rule, no?

Quote Originally Posted by LibSuperstar View Post
    Wackest rule ever! It was Watts who employed that rule, no?
    No. WCW had that rule up until...1995 or 1996. It was ridiculous how long they kept that rule especially once the style in wrestling had changed, prompting more and more wrestlers to be tossed over the top rope. Forcing the commentators to always make up some random excuse for why it's not a DQ...except for when it was the finish.

Thread Information