Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NJPW Dominion - June 9th 2018

Tranquilo, Cabron

Status

Re: NJPW Dominion - June 9th 2018

Quote Originally Posted by JT Grizzle View Post
    Does anyone see Kenny and the Bucks both winning their respective matches and fully mending the fences within The Elite or am I just being a sentimental old softy?
    Called it.

Far less impressive after I caught up on the Being The Elite episodes I'd missed the last month and a half or so after I watched Dominion and realised they were setting that up for weeks. Those Golden Elite t-shirts are fucking wonderful as well. I want one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerohamed Salah View Post
    So I thought this was a really good show, definitely a strong SOTY contender although I prefer WK.

RPG3K vs Desperado/Kanemaru: This was solid & a good opener but after Sho's great BOSJ I really wanted to see something more, & the result really makes these titles seem even more irrelevant. Kanemaru is a champion in 2018 and it shows how worthless the titles are. **3/4

Juice/Finlay vs White/YOSHI-HASHI: Lots of fun for 7 minutes, with everyone besides White looking great. I would love to see a Finlay/YH singles match going forward. Buy Ed's comment about Juice/Finlay getting a titles shot. ***1/4

SZKG/Yano & Ishii: Solid build to a Suzuki/Ishii singles match, & smartly Yano was mostly there just to sell. Suzuki vs Ishii should be a good 'un. ***

NEVER Triple Threat: Totally agree with MC about Elgin looking super jacked and it giving away the finish. Don't agree with Taichi looking good. How? He went even deeper into his bag of BS and totally dragged this down. But the wrestling overdelivered & the finish was awesome and made it seem like carnage had taken place with the powerbomb bowling. I expect the Goto/Elgin singles match to be good, & my hunch is Goto is in line for a strong G1 after dropping the title.

Tag Titles: EVIL/SANADA vs YB: This is by far the best run of the Bucks' career and they worked together strongly, I hope KES stays away for awhile as they're beyond stale & the sad part of this is that EVIL/SANADA couldn't have had a more varied list of teams. I also think it's great that the titles are on a true team as opposed to G1 competitors. I hope this reign lasts until the Dome. ***3/4

Rey/Liger/Tana vs BC: The BC team added absolutely nothing but it was fun to see the legends. Surprised they didn't set up something with Rey for the Palace. **1/2

Will/Hiromu: I thought it was really good, liked the change of pace from earlier on to a more methodical style, but after Hiromu/Ishimori this didn't touch that. Props to Will for a good title reign, but it was obvious the fans natively just never saw him at the level Western fans do. Hiromu is the guy and everyone has known it for over a year, but I still remain skeptical of him and this division in terms of longterm booking. ***3/4

Naito/Jericho: Jericho working some kind of KISS tribute? I didn't love this by any means, but I think there was merit to it as a match unlike MC. I thought the violence worked well, Naito's blood looked like a great visual. But at the same time when it got time to wrestle they just didn't hold up. There were sloppy moments from both men & throughout it didn't feel like Naito's heart was in it the way Omega's was earlier in the year to me. From a booking standpoint, there's no question Naito is ice cold right now & him winning the G1 doesn't fly with me from a storytelling perspective. Jericho vs. EVIL? Weird tease at the end but a kinda cool potential match. ***

Okada/Omega: I think Ed really summed up all of my same thoughts perfectly. I thought it was clearly the best of their 4 matches, the 2/3 stipulation was a complete positive, and the overall story of Kenny was really great. But there were flaws, in particular what he said about Kenny using the V-Trigger over & over. To me these two just aren't creative enough in terms of pure moveset to make this kind of match work and as striking ability goes they can't really pull off a Misawa/Kawada style epic either. But I would definitely say top 100 quality & their first truly great match IMO. ****1/4

-

Overall: A match that could very well become one of NJPW's most famous of all time headlining a strong up & down show. I really enjoyed watching the whole thing and really only the opener & Rey Trios were the only things below ***. I do think the early Cow Palace number might have spooked NJPW, & the pushes of YB, Jericho, & Omega as champions really shows where NJPW's heart is right now. I'm not sure what to think about this company going forward. But I'm looking forward to the G1 lineups a lot. Should be interesting to see who's in. 9/10
    I don't really advertise the fact that over the last year or so I've been giving matches my own star ratings so that I can keep up what's worth re-watching when there's so much stuff out there right now but basically, rating wise, we have everything the same give or take a 1/4 star either way. We don't agree entirely on the reasons behind the ratings - I really liked the finish in the opener for instance and it made me more interested in the Suzuki Juniors going forward - but I just found it amusing how closely we matched up on the ratings in general.

I thought everything before the heavyweight tag title match was fun at worst but none of it was essential veiwing (which tells you my opinion of the NEVER title I suppose) and then the Bucks and LIJ shifted us into another gear. It was a great match that really showcased how good Matt and Nick have got at story telling, selling and making a comeback from underneath. I wasn't sure how well the two teams would mesh going in but with announcement of the rematch in the Cow Palace I'm excited for more from these four guys. I was a little sad to see EVIL and SANADA drop the belts after having an enjoyable reign that got a little stalled in the middle due to injury, I felt like they had more to offer us - but with the G1 coming up and the Cow Palace show still to sell out, putting the titles on the Bucks does make sense and free the LIJ pair up for the tournament.

The legends trio facing the Bullet Club was a fun little showcase for Rey and nothing more really. I imagine we're either getting Rey vs. Liger or Rey vs. Marty at the Cow Palace but this match did very little, if anything, to confirm it either way.

Hiromu/Ospreay was a very good match and I'm wondering if I'm under-rating a little really because I just wasn't as engaged and as into it as I was expecting to be. I'll be re-watching it at some point as my friend want's to watch the Jericho and Mysterio matches so I'm gonna make him watch the Bucks/LIJ, this and Omega/Okada, so maybe my opinion will change - and I'm certainly not saying it's bad by any means, it was really fucking good! Maybe, like Zero said, it was just overshadowed by the BOSJ final being so mindblowingly great and so recent to boot.

Jericho's make-up was terrible. The hat was a nice touch but the make-up looked like the kind of thing me and my friends would do when we were going to rock clubs in our teens; cliche and badly applied. The match itself was brutal and could've actually done with being a little shorter from my perspective. It was sloppy and it looked like Jericho was in the worst shape he's been in years and potatoing the shit out of Naito. Jericho winning was shocking to me but the potential of a match with EVIL excites me greatly. Naito's story this year seems to be one of over-stretching himself and under-estimating his opponents when he's on the big stage, I have to wonder if this a story arc that changes the doctrine of to LIJ as a whole and is about Naito losing the tranquilo and finding his fuego when he needs to. Being chill is all well and good but not giving a shit is gonna lose you titles, obviously. To liken it to my favourite wrestler of all time (and use a racial insensitive and stereotyping phrase) he really needs to find his Latino Heat!

The main event was excellent. I have a criticism, but it's literally the same criticism I've had about Kenny since I started watching New Japan regularly - the fucking V Trigger! If it's not a knock out blow or a set up to the One Winged Angel then don't fucking use it! Especially in the liberal amounts he does. A sprinted knee to the head of an opponent should not be that ineffective. Otherwise, I loved it on first watch. It felt like a big moment going in and the right man won. Okada is absolutely the better wrestler but Omega is the more complete package for the continued global expansion and there's no one more over in the West right now than the Golden Elite. Did anyone else notice how the three falls were positioned and who took them? Okada wins the first fall in under thirty minutes, having never beaten Kenny that quickly before, indeed it was positioned only a few minutes after the fall in their G1 match. Kenny takes the second fall, a mere minute later than Okada beat him in the Dome. Then of course the final fall comes after the sixty minute mark, which is where the match last year had ended in a draw - and would've here if they had been working with a time limit - at which point Omega wins and comes out looking better than you even realise at first; Okada hasn't beaten Kenny in over a year, he has two pins over him but only one victory, meanwhile Kenny has beaten him twice in the last twelve months and has three pinfalls over him. Three pinfalls. Over Okada. In a year. Who else can say that?

I also fucking LOVED how Kenny, having achieved his dream of winning the IWGP heavyweight title, chose to hug Matt and Nick and bury that hatchet BEFORE getting the belt. It was an active choice. He basically said; "This title means everything to me... but my friends, my family, they mean more". That was fucking wonderful! Babyface Kenny makes me so happy.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Watching Dominion now.

I can’t believe Elgin won a title in a decent match and that they totally ruined Naito.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Meltzer's ratings are now in...

Roppongi 3K vs. Suzuki-gun: 3.25

Finlay/Robinson vs. White/YOSHI-HASHI: 2.25

Ishii/Yano vs. Sabre/Suzuki: 3.75

Elgin vs. Goto vs. Taichi: 3.5

LIJ vs. Young Bucks: 4.5

Liger/Mysterio/Tanahashi vs. Bullet Club: 3.5

Ospreay vs. Takahashi: 4.75

Jericho vs. Naito: 4.5

and the Omega/Okada match...

Spoiler:

Okada vs. Omega: 7

Beating the previous record set by Okada/Omega for last year's Dominion of just 6 1/4 stars.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Plot twist: Meltzer never explicitly stated he had a 5* system. He rates matches out of 10 and thinks wrestling has always been mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Classic Dave
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Plot twist: Meltzer never explicitly stated he had a 5* system. He rates matches out of 10 and thinks wrestling has always been mediocre at best.
    Only thing to get ten stars would be Frye/Takayama if it wasn’t a Pride fight.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I said last year after their first match together that Meltzer had broken his scale to the point where it's impossible to take seriously so there's nothing groundbreaking here.

I think deep down Meltzer is trying to say that he enjoys these big New Japan matches now more than he enjoyed the big AJPW matches back in the 90s and it doesn't feel right to give them the same score, but the problem is he's gone about it in a way where he comes off like a giant mark and a troll. If he would of said 'Bryan, I loved Omega Vs Okada, it's an easy 5 star match, one of the best matches I've ever seen and I gotta be honest I enjoyed it more than Flair Vs Steamboat and Misawa Vs Kobashi (or whatever)', then that's at least an opinion that I can accept as a genuine and just a case of Dave loved that one more than me, but seven stars is just too ridiculous and we all expected him to pull this out when the match was first announced. It's hard to take him seriously when it always smacks of giving a controversially high rating to grab attention to both his business and New Japan. Scoring matches with snowflakes is dopey anyway.

One thing I'll say about this Omega/Okada series and it's supposed greatest ever matches - before they happened, it was Okada Vs Tanahashi that was the greatest thing since Steamboat and Flair, now a few years later they've been pushed aside for Okada and Omega as the new kings to the Steamboat/Flair throne. No-one is saying Okada/Omega is the new Okada/Tanahashi. Think that says a lot about what seems great in the moment, and what stands the test of time for 30 years as the standard barer.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It's obviously a business ploy and it's a smart one because people do sign up to see how ridiculously high he goes. It's not like he takes it seriously anyway, he has said for a while that it shouldn't be taken as serious as it is by some.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Thread Information