Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NJPW Dominion - June 9th 2018

THE MAN

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW Dominion - June 9th 2018

Just started watching from that last match, another great match for Will and Hiromu, title change the right call.

THE MAN

Status

It's over.

More in depth review later when I get a chance to watch the other matches on the show, but I certainly didn't hate Omega/Okada like I usually do. It had flaws, but it certainly wasn't as bad as their dominion bore fest last year. Huge moment for Kenny.

Naito/Jericho wasn't as good as Omega/Jericho, but I still liked it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Amazing main event. It wasn't better than their other matches but still great. I'll give more thoughts after watching the rest of the show.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I'll check out the show as a whole later on. How many STARS will big Dave be giving Okada/Omega then?

THE MAN

Status

8 stars minimum.

Man of the Hour

Status
      Country                    Turkey

This was my favourite Omega/Okada match, loved every second of it.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Some in-depth views on the show:

Roppongi 3K vs El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru: ***¼
    Decent tag team match. Hot start for the show. R3K bounced off Desperado and Kanemaru well and looked pretty good. Crowd seemed into it. Interesting that Sho was still in his BOSJ gear.

Hirooki Goto vs. Taichi vs. Michael Elgin: ***½
    Was not expecting this match at all. Elgin looked huge, you could tell he was ready for this and was winning. This was a very fun and entertaining triple threat. Everyone was very good and played their parts. Even Taichi who looked very good. Heavyweight definitely suits him better. Looking forward to seeing Goto vs Elgin, one on one.

EVIL & SANADA vs. The Young Bucks: ****
    Looking at the two teams, they are worlds apart but I thought meshed pretty well together. The structure of the match was very good, with the control of the match constantly changing between the two teams. The Bucks proving that they belong in this divisions, going toe to toe with the champions. There was really good selling from them i the match as well, Matt selling the back and Nick selling the leg. Both coming into play here and lead to some dramatic moments. Especially where Nick couldn’t hit the Meltzer Driver because of the leg.

Rey Mysterio, Jushin Liger, & Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Marty Scurll, Cody, & Adam Page: **½
    This was fine. Nothing really to say. It was what it was. .

Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay: ***½
    Takahashi!!!!!!! A pretty good match overall. The first half with Ospreay on top with pretty dull besides the ramp way stuff. He didn't really do anything that interesting and the match was in a lull at the time. The match got better when Takahashi made his comeback and they started to be more 50/50. One part of the beginning I did like however, was them teasing the exposed mats on the outside early on. Takahashi was very over in this match (can't say that for Ospreay though) and just embodied charisma in everything he did, entrance to match. So glad that he won the title. Ospreay had a go reign but it's Takahashi’s time.

Chris Jericho vs Tetsuya Naito: *
    Edit: these views are kinda out dated so I'll add them here as well. Alright, I rewatched Jericho vs Naito again because people are praising this to the hills to see what I'm missing and I don't know what people see in it. It got worse for me after the third attempt at watching this match. I liked the camera bit and the fight feel but that's all.

Kazuchika Okada vs Kenny Omega: ****¾
    Going into this match, there was many approaches they could’ve went with. They could’ve tricked everyone with a shorter match, they could’ve went longer than they did. I don’t think they went the right length with it being just over an hour and shaved off a couple of minutes in the first fall but it’s not a huge problem to the match and didn’t take anything away. Anyway, the first fall did have its problems. Not with the wrestlers, rather what they did. It’s obvious that they had to pace themselves so it’s forgivable but it still went a bit too long. Although, there was so much tension created in that time, still a went a longer time than needed. And I loved the finish being a flash pin. The second fall was were the pace kicked in and the action got really good. Some of the call backs were tremendously done such as the drop kick to the back of the head, interactions between the two were great. Okada and Omega work off each other so well and bring the best out of each other imo. Omega’s selling was really good for the second fall as well. The third fall was obviously the best fall of the lot and they just built and built to the finish. First with the constant reversal of each others finisher which happened all over the match. Then Omega tried to KO Okada with the knees. Then the exchanges of the german suplexes which I loved. Okada hitting the rainmaker but being so exhausted from the match having very little impact and collapsing was spot of the match for me. The finishing stretch was excellent and they built to the OWA so well that I was on my feet cheering Omega over Okada. Real top notch stuff. I’m sure some people will go over the top, including Big Money Dave but good for them. MOTYC without a doubt. Please, Gedo. Please give me that Okada tag team run with Goto. PLEASEE

I thought the show was pretty good overall. No BAD matches, some were just there tbh but never bad. The title matches all delivered in someway. Even Jericho vs Naito was good, even if it was't mind blowing. Elgin winning was shocking (considering) but I like it and he was so good in the match. The Tag team title matches were both good ad very enjoyable. And that main event was outstanding. Okada's title reign is finally over and it's been a great one, no doubt. So many great, great matches. Matches that'll be hard to forget for years. It's going to be hard seeing Okada without it and it'll be hard for Omega to follow up. So may things can happen. It's exciting.
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-09-2018 at 07:35 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

So the main event. I'm still none the wiser on whether I think it's that good a match, but I'm pretty comfortable calling it the best of the four. It should of been the most exhausting, self-aware, self masturbatory of all them given the hype and time to play with, but I didn't feel that way watching it and actually came out of this one not hating Kenny. The 2/3 falls stip actually helped make the time go faster rather than one bloated match where you know you're not seeing a serious pin attempt for 40 minutes, for example Okada's backslide pin for the first fall came as a real surprise. This definitely went by quicker compared to the time limit draw last year. The overall theme of the series of matches was pretty neat too where evil Kenny couldn't get it done, but the truer form of himself, reunited by his best friend and turned babyface, finally achieved his dream. Where the match falls down for me is some pretty unavoidable problems with running a match this long. The first fall was pretty boring at 30 minutes, Kenny was forced to using so many knees all match that they lost meaning, and often they selling the exhaustion of the match one minute, but then they'd be fine to go through a flurry of moves a minute later. I think it might end up making my top 100 list because it is a hugely significant match that went beyond my expectations, and in a year where WWE is having one horrible ppv main event after another, I should probably not be so nitpicky with this match.

Jericho/Naito was pretty rough, but in an enjoyable way. It's not as classic a match as Jericho/Omega was, but for a match that felt totally different to any other Naito has had this year, it was my favourite Naito match of 2018. Someone on twitter made the point that Jericho is yet again cashing in on the hot thing in wrestling and trying to be LA Park doing fat man goth brawls, which I thought was a great joke. There was some unfortunate stuff like the Destino botch, but Jericho matches in NJPW have this wild, butt-ugly fight element to them that I kinda dig. The opening half of the match I loved especially. Stunned that Jericho won the match, fuck me is Gedo not high on protecting Naito this year. But it's ok he'll win the heavyweight title again in 2020 and fanboys will say 'what a great story from Gedo in how Naito overcame his demons from 2018 and won the title with his new finishing move 2 years after people stopped caring as much for him'. Seriously, fuck off if the big plan here is Naito is gonna win G1 again in a COMEBACK story.

Also, it's never gets old when the people that hounded indy promoters for using Michael Elgin in wake of the Mo stuff, are gushing about New Japan and can't gif them enough. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Merry Christmas

Status
      Country                    United States

I thought it was a good show I especially enjoyed Takahashi/Ospreay, Jericho/Naito, and Omega/Okada. I thought Bucks vs EVIL/Sanada was good too.

I’m very happy with the result of the main event and I loved the post match stuff.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Alright, I rewatched Jericho vs Naito again because people are praising this to the hills to see what I'm missing and I don't know what people see in it. It got worse for me after the third attempt at watching this match. I liked the camera bit and the fight feel but that's all.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Probably watching it 3 times in quick succession is the problem there. I thought the match was fine and Jericho was on point as usual. Not really bothered about Naito losing... guess they have to keep everyone guessing with this G1. Okada vs Naito final could be likely.

Thought the show was great and loved that Hiromu got his crowning moment after winning the BOSJ and completes the comeback tour over Scurll, KUSHIDA and Ospreay. Everything's full circle.

Wouldn't mind Suzuki/ZSJ getting tag title shots tbh.

Would have laughed my ass off if Taichi won the NEVER belt and Goto was made to look the ultimate dork. Fun match whilst it lasted with a simple story to it. Don't care much for Elgin but a Goto match could be fun.

Bucks and Kenny finally winning the big one is a cool story too. I don't like the idea of Omega vs Ibushi at WK for the belt as I don't think the match really needs it but we will see what happens.

Okada vs Kenny was fucking great as expected.

KENNIIIIIIIIII

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    Probably watching it 3 times in quick succession is the problem there. I thought the match was fine and Jericho was on point as usual. Not really bothered about Naito losing... guess they have to keep everyone guessing with this G1. Okada vs Naito final could be likely.
    You're probably right, but I wasn't really a fan of the match the first time except for the ending. So the feelings were there originally. And no, I don't mind Naito losing either. People complained when he won it so I don't see the point of complaining about him losing it either.
    Last edited by MC 16; 06-09-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

I don't think there's anything unpopular about not liking that Jericho/Naito match, MC and as much as I liked it, it's not on the same level as the matches it was sandwiched in between. If I watched it again right now I probably wouldn't like it so much.

I don't like lumping Kenny's story in there with Bucks story, Shake. Young Bucks literally had no struggle to win those titles, they jumped up the division and won the titles at the first time of asking, feels like they short changed a story and it's shown up all the true heavyweight teams. It comes off like they won simply because this was Kenny's night. RIP LIJ's tag title reign, the best one in many years for that title.

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

If this was Sex comparing Dominion, then I need a Cigarette for sure. This Show was really enjoyable no doubt and I'm pretty fucking wrecked after seeing Kagetsu vs Storm and this Show. I'm not gonna lie and say that the early matches were hard to get through because they were solid, but I think this Show really picked up with Takahashi/Ospreay for the Junior Heavyweight Title. I had great fun before then with Ishii and Suzuki beating the shit outta each other, and Mysterio with Liger and all, but this really woke me up.

Takahashi/Ospreay was the tits, the chemistry between these two talents was a pleasure to watch no doubt. That moment when Ospreay dropped Hiromu on his head after lifting him up after being the Triangle Choke, I thought for sure he was going to get a Concussion from that. I don't know how he didn't get hurt there, but he kept fighting and from the momentum he gained from the Best of the Super Juniors it led him to being Champion again congrats to him.

Jericho/Naito was awesome from start to finish. Jericho doing every dirty tactic in the book proved to be the reason why he won, because yeah Naito made his comeback, but the wounds Naito gained made him a man that was going to lose one way or another. That Powerbomb through that Table was sick as well, and with the loss I wanna see Naito get that nasty in him like Y2J showed versus him. How about next time, you mug him before the bell or hell attack him in the Toilet, forget being calm and collected now it's time to turn it up a notch and see how Jericho deals with it.

No longer a Prince..he is now a King. Kenny Omega is the IWGP World Champion and it feels so good to say that. What I thought about going into this Match is how one these two are going to give us something different vs their past Matches, and two I thought about what did the Challenger and Champion learn especially the Challenger Omega that he won't make in this Match. All of these questions I had were answered and Omega, in the best shape of his life, and the best place in his life mentally wins the big one. I loved everything about this 5 Star Match which deserves a 6 star in my opinion, even the moments where both guys were fucking gassed and they would just sit there just trying to get air to continue. Two of the best in the world showing how it's done out there it was amazing to watch. Now the question I have from this: Omega vs Ibushi when will it happen and break our hearts in multiple Matches?

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ZinEdine Zidane View Post
    I don't think there's anything unpopular about not liking that Jericho/Naito match, MC and as much as I liked it, it's not on the same level as the matches it was sandwiched in between. If I watched it again right now I probably wouldn't like it so much.

I don't like lumping Kenny's story in there with Bucks story, Shake. Young Bucks literally had no struggle to win those titles, they jumped up the division and won the titles at the first time of asking, feels like they short changed a story and it's shown up all the true heavyweight teams. It comes off like they won simply because this was Kenny's night. RIP LIJ's tag title reign, the best one in many years for that title.
    Yeah that's fair. I guess I meant to split them both but just meant both had a struggle, somewhat. Kenny's bigger than Bucks'. Bucks have been spending a while talking about moving up and getting the chance to prove they are the best and they've been talking about winning the belts for a long time. Can't remember who they faced before... Briscoes? But yeah, I don't mean to mix them both like that. Though I do think there was a clear theme of CHAOS getting shat on tonight with Bullet Club the opposite so that may be what they were going for. Makes sense to me anyways.

Could be seeing BC vs LIJ in future. Sorta wish Jericho was in BC now

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

So I thought this was a really good show, definitely a strong SOTY contender although I prefer WK.

RPG3K vs Desperado/Kanemaru: This was solid & a good opener but after Sho's great BOSJ I really wanted to see something more, & the result really makes these titles seem even more irrelevant. Kanemaru is a champion in 2018 and it shows how worthless the titles are. **3/4

Juice/Finlay vs White/YOSHI-HASHI: Lots of fun for 7 minutes, with everyone besides White looking great. I would love to see a Finlay/YH singles match going forward. Buy Ed's comment about Juice/Finlay getting a titles shot. ***1/4

SZKG/Yano & Ishii: Solid build to a Suzuki/Ishii singles match, & smartly Yano was mostly there just to sell. Suzuki vs Ishii should be a good 'un. ***

NEVER Triple Threat: Totally agree with MC about Elgin looking super jacked and it giving away the finish. Don't agree with Taichi looking good. How? He went even deeper into his bag of BS and totally dragged this down. But the wrestling overdelivered & the finish was awesome and made it seem like carnage had taken place with the powerbomb bowling. I expect the Goto/Elgin singles match to be good, & my hunch is Goto is in line for a strong G1 after dropping the title.

Tag Titles: EVIL/SANADA vs YB: This is by far the best run of the Bucks' career and they worked together strongly, I hope KES stays away for awhile as they're beyond stale & the sad part of this is that EVIL/SANADA couldn't have had a more varied list of teams. I also think it's great that the titles are on a true team as opposed to G1 competitors. I hope this reign lasts until the Dome. ***3/4

Rey/Liger/Tana vs BC: The BC team added absolutely nothing but it was fun to see the legends. Surprised they didn't set up something with Rey for the Palace. **1/2

Will/Hiromu: I thought it was really good, liked the change of pace from earlier on to a more methodical style, but after Hiromu/Ishimori this didn't touch that. Props to Will for a good title reign, but it was obvious the fans natively just never saw him at the level Western fans do. Hiromu is the guy and everyone has known it for over a year, but I still remain skeptical of him and this division in terms of longterm booking. ***3/4

Naito/Jericho: Jericho working some kind of KISS tribute? I didn't love this by any means, but I think there was merit to it as a match unlike MC. I thought the violence worked well, Naito's blood looked like a great visual. But at the same time when it got time to wrestle they just didn't hold up. There were sloppy moments from both men & throughout it didn't feel like Naito's heart was in it the way Omega's was earlier in the year to me. From a booking standpoint, there's no question Naito is ice cold right now & him winning the G1 doesn't fly with me from a storytelling perspective. Jericho vs. EVIL? Weird tease at the end but a kinda cool potential match. ***

Okada/Omega: I think Ed really summed up all of my same thoughts perfectly. I thought it was clearly the best of their 4 matches, the 2/3 stipulation was a complete positive, and the overall story of Kenny was really great. But there were flaws, in particular what he said about Kenny using the V-Trigger over & over. To me these two just aren't creative enough in terms of pure moveset to make this kind of match work and as striking ability goes they can't really pull off a Misawa/Kawada style epic either. But I would definitely say top 100 quality & their first truly great match IMO. ****1/4

-

Overall: A match that could very well become one of NJPW's most famous of all time headlining a strong up & down show. I really enjoyed watching the whole thing and really only the opener & Rey Trios were the only things below ***. I do think the early Cow Palace number might have spooked NJPW, & the pushes of YB, Jericho, & Omega as champions really shows where NJPW's heart is right now. I'm not sure what to think about this company going forward. But I'm looking forward to the G1 lineups a lot. Should be interesting to see who's in. 9/10
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Status

This event is why Naito losing at the Tokyo Dome had to happen rather than Okada.

G1 is set up nicely now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerohamed Salah View Post

Don't agree with Taichi looking good. How? He went even deeper into his bag of BS and totally dragged this down. But the wrestling overdelivered & the finish was awesome and made it seem like carnage had taken place with the powerbomb bowling. I expect the Goto/Elgin singles match to be good, & my hunch is Goto is in line for a strong G1 after dropping the title.
    I'd say Taichi played his role to perfection in the match and always meant that the element of him sneaking a win was there. He's not a five star wrestler but he did what he was there to do. I don't think he looked out of place tbh.

Whilst I think I may have enjoyed WK more... Dominion atleast has a match that, I think, stands out as the must see match whilst WK felt just solid overall. Both great events with their pros and cons.

Jericho vs EVIL could be, weirdly, fun. I don't know if EVIL is an interesting opponent though. Dude just isn't for me. I think he's going to be a LIJ Goto. Very very intrigued to see what Jericho is doing though. I also found it weird there was no proper Mysterio set up but we will see what happens with that.

I don't see Naito winning G1 but I see him losing the finals. I don't know who to. Okada or Ibushi maybe. I can see him facing Omega at KOPW if Omega is still champ. Might get Naito vs Jericho II at the Dome. I think Okada and Ibushi are the two main guys this year to win the G1. I think if Shibata was around then he'd be a near lock to face Okada at the Dome.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

THE MAN

Status

Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention Rey Mysterio because of his nothing debut match against Bullet Club. It was cool to see him in a team of legends trios but that was not a great way to showcase him at all. Either the guy was injured enough to not want to work singles, or they realised they had such a stacked show they could hold off the singles debut for even longer, probably the latter. As Shake says that match didn't even set up a natural match for him in the future unless it's Marty, who I think did cut a promo on Rey at strong style evolved. His mask was so fucking cool though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hand Of Shake View Post
    This event is why Naito losing at the Tokyo Dome had to happen rather than Okada.
    Regrettably, after months of saying it was the wrong call, I might have to admit I was wrong about it because yesterday doesn't work as well without everything else happening including Okada winning again at the Dome. Everything else they've done with Naito has been shit though, and I'll stand by that.

G1 is set up nicely now.
    Is it? I know Omega/Ibushi feels like a match people naturally want to book as the WK main event, but idk I can't see them getting to that point within 6 months AND not having Kazuchika Okada in the main event of WK14. To me it's still either Okada wins, Naito wins or Ibushi with the slim dark horse chance. Not sure yesterdays result changed anything for me other than Okada replacing Omega as one of the two favourites to win.

Jericho vs EVIL could be, weirdly, fun. I don't know if EVIL is an interesting opponent though. Dude just isn't for me. I think he's going to be a LIJ Goto. Very very intrigued to see what Jericho is doing though.
    Well I liked for once that an LIJ member came out to actually help Naito from getting beaten to a pulp. I'm higher on EVIL than you I guess, so I'm kinda into it. Battle of the eyeliners~!

The EST of WC

Status

Eh. Guess I can play the devils advocate.

Honestly didn't really enjoy Omega/Okada this time around. I think the 2/3 falls stip was a good idea to run with but I don't feel like they made it work. For the most part I felt like it dragged quite heavily and after 40 mins I was pretty much done with it. The endless number of V-triggers certainly didn't help things.

Still credit where credit is due I guess. The story worked well and with Naito failing at the dome Omega was the best person to finally take the title from Okada.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The problem with Ibushi is he isn't winning the G1 unless he signs some sort of contract. That's all there is to it. Kenny's a convincing politician but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think Kenny mentioning "tranquilo" was dumb too if it is Naito. I think it's for sure Naito vs Okada in the final. Also I said from the beginning Shibata was on the table. Someone told me recently he looked "great". I don't think he'll be in G1 like I originally thought, but I think there's a chance he comes out at the G1 final to challenge someone. Okada winning the first fall of the Omega match gives him a legit rematch claim too. I think a good hint will be whose Block Omega's in between Naito & Okada, with the opposite being the favorite. Goto is a dark horse if my Shibata theory is true but my gut to me Naito & Okada are the only plausible WK options.

In terms of booking, I think much like for the WK main, it wasn't a big gap either way but just different choices. At WK it was the choice between successfully making Naito the top star or Okada the greatest IWGP champion ever. Much like I said in the BOSJ thread, I would have picked Naito because him going into the Dome & if he had would be now more popular in Japan than anyone on the roster including Okada & Omega. And now we're here where the fans are more behind Jericho than him in their match. HOWEVER...with the worldwide expansion, Omega is the biggest star. I likely would have picked Okada over Omega just to end the title reign at the Dome but I don't think there was a wrong pick either way. And it's definitely possible things worked out alright in the grand scheme of things, but I still feel as if Naito lost quite a bit this year. Just in terms of my interest I think EVIL is way more interesting than Naito right now, even though his gimmick still sucks imo, he's a great wrestler. Him vs Okada in the G1 was one of the best matches overall. It's just random unless it really is a rebuild to Jericho/Naito II. I also think Jericho vs. Suzuki would be a hot program in the west and they could play off Suzuki's ties to Takayama and make it a legit heated feud rather than just a rehash of Jericho cursing a lot in his promos at someone and talking about how he's a way bigger star than them.
    Punishing evil from her lonely throne! The Imperious Queen of Executions~

Her naked passion exposed for all to see! The Scandalous Superstar Idol~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Thread Information