Kushida
    Ryesuke Taguchi
    CHRIS SABIN
    Dragon Lee
    Sho
    Marty Scurll
    El Desperado
    Hiromu Takahashi

Tournament runs from May 18th to June 4th.

So the final 3 places were taken by Taiji Ishimori, ACH and Chris fn' Sabin. By my count it's 5 changes to last years line up so that really helps things feel fresh.

I doubt there's much disagreement that Block B is the best block. Everyone in there (yes Dylan, even Scurll) is good and we get Dragon Lee Vs Hiromu again! Ishimori has been given a rough set of matches to impress with, but he'll have a few bangers that's for sure.

Winners, I expect it has to be Taiji going over in the final, most likely against Kushida.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 25 Discussion Thread

Love Sabin, am psyched to see what he can do in prolonged singles action. Block B also besides D-Lee & Hiromu there aren't the pure flyers. Will remember that comment about Scurll being good if all matches totally suck like usual, have the powder and all that. He could definitely be good and should against the talent.

I think Ishimori is the most interesting person in the tournament and who I want to win. But if we get a match between him and Hiromu that can tear the house down.
    C'est Magnifique~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

There is some great additions this year, Roppongi 3K, Hail Sabin (marking out!), Taiji Ishimori and Dragon Lee, who I thought would be taken out becaue of the injury he suffered a few weeks back. Ishimori is my pick to win the whole thing.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Zero, do you know why Alex Shelly doesn't work with New Japan anymore?

Bit odd that those two only really work for ROH but they are never apart of NJPW/ROH shows.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Shelley wanted to go back to school or something from what i remember reading/hearing. Might come back if he finishes school... if that's true.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

[Your Name]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Shelley wanted to go back to school or something from what i remember reading/hearing. Might come back if he finishes school... if that's true.
    Yeah, this is what he said when he was on AOW. Studying to be a sports therapist I believe.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Block B is a killer block for sure. Always appreciated Sabin for the most part and he’s got a great cast of supporting characters.

Block A’s fine. I still have no care for Flip Gordon.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Just Justice

Status

Chris Sabin, fucking YES. Even if I don't catch the majority of the tournament, I'm defo seeking his matches out

X

Status

Managed to catch some of Ospreay vs Ishimori at work. Wasn't that into Ishimori if I'm honest.

Going to watch the full show tonight though.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Liked Tiger Mask vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru. Decent stuff, way better than I expected from them. Kanemaru using the Young to keep Tiger Mask out of the ring was spot of the night, hilarious. Liked the ending as well, Tiger Mask selling the move whilst using his experience to pin Kanemaru as well was ingenious.

I liked the main more than most, though Ishimori's work on the neck was very good and he looked impressive with his counters. Ospreay was good in parts but his selling let him down real bad.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I really enjoyed YOH/Bushi and Ospreay/Ishimori. Love how Will came right out from the bell with the dropkick and elbows in the corner rather than do any Ricochet style exhibition openings, Will was in fight mode more than flight mode. Ishimori came back with some neck focused offence to slow him down and take more control of the match which is a good story to tell but I worry that the Bone Solder stuff is going to hinder his matches because he's heel now, but time will tell. Didn't really have any issues with Will's selling at all tbh, but I don't want 7 matches this month from him that are all 'my neck is fucked', that doesn't need to be the story when he faces Tiger Mask IV. When it was finished with it felt like a match that was the taster for their (assumed) Dominion match for the title because Ospreay didn't land any of his finishers so they've tricks left up their sleeve, but was still very good on it's own. Will is getting close to being my #3 in the world now. As for Yoh, great to see him pick up his first ever BOSJ win, thought he did really well in his first showcase singles match since returning.

ACH/Flip was alright, the crowd did enjoy the more athletic spots of the match. I just think Flip's spots are going to get really tiresome by the end of BOSJ.

Skipped Tiger Mask's match because frankly it looked the most unappealing match in the whole tournament on paper.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Sho Vs Dragon Lee amazing.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Sho vs Dragon Lee was awesome. Roppongi 3K is owning this BOSJ so far. I did quite like Ospreay/Ishimori too.

I sure wish Gordon missed this flight. The guy does nothing for me.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Day Two was by far better than Day One. All the matches delivered. Sho vs Lee was awesome, Kushida vs Sabin was pretty good, El Desperado vs Taguchi was also pretty good and the main event was great.Loved that Takahashi debuted a new submissions even if I was focusing on his fluffy boots the entire time.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Status

Really enjoying Hiromu in this tournament so far. Get the feeling he's beating Ishimori in the final. Will get his win back vs KUSHIDA and Scurll along the way before taking the belt from Ospreay at Dominion and making everything full circle. Already done one of those things.

In a perfect world, of course.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Day 1:

Kanemaru/Tiger Mask wasn't as bad as most Kanemaru matches, I honestly don't think Tiger is that bad, and I thought for two old dudes it was a decent start to the tournament and expect better as time goes on. **1/2

ACH/Flip was a nifty first night for Flip but also for ACH who really has fallen off the face of the Earth in the last couple of years in terms of buzz and popularity and didn't impress last year in BOSJ. Flip is a big name right now due to his friendship with Bullet Club but has yet to really emerge as more than a guy who does flips, no pun intended. Good start and a big step up from watching Kanemaru. ***1/2

Yoh/BUSHI was solid enough, I'm really not a fan of BUSHI at all in-ring under this heel gimmick, and Yoh got something pretty good out of him which was appreciated. I think both of 3k put in big efforts to this to prove something and have been a highlight of the tournament so far. ***

Ospreay/Ishimori was a strong debut for Ishimori. I do agree Ospreay's selling wasn't perfect but it wasn't enough to overcome Ishimori's awesome all around performance, though I have to agree this heel gimmick could take him down, but it's a great comparison to see him against a rather one dimensional performer like Will how much Ishimori stands out as an all around talent and for his part I thought he had a really good heel charisma and came across much better than Ospreay's just awful screaming gimmick. Still when he had to be on offense Will did a mostly great job and more than carried his end of the workrate. I also thought it was nice that they saved more for a potential rematch which should hopefully be coming soon. I think my favorite Will is keeping it to a normal length, rather than trying to have these epics. I can't wait to see what a full match brings to the table. ****

Day 2:

There's not much more to say about SHO & Dragon Lee but it was my favorite match of the tournament so far, just a phenomenal effort from both men, SHO is a star in the making and Dragon Lee is just a star. Absolutely great effort all around. ****1/4

They went more of a comedy route with Desperado and Taguchi and not anything I thought was funny. It's a shame because we know both guys could be amazing wrestlers if they put their minds to it. It wasn't that bad or anything but not worth watching. **

I really liked KUSHIDA/Sabin a lot and especially as a direct change of pace from the prior matches. I thought both men are so refined, so smooth, and so good at the basics and fundamentals of wrestling that they put on a clinic. Very enjoyable match and up there as a tournament favorite so far. ***3/4

Scurll/Hiromu was arguably Hiromu's worst singles match of his NJPW career since his return. Didn't do anything for me and I feel there's a pretty big spotlight on Scurll since he's on the hotseat in NJPW with arguably the most talented junior in the company coming into the same faction as him and threatening to bump him from his spot. Hiromu did the best he could but just wasn't feeling it anywhere near as much as I should have. **3/4

Day 3:

Tiger/YOH: Another solid match for YOH and against another so-so talent in Tiger, you have to hand it to him for doing good work against the bottom tier talent in his block, but his story has yet to be written imo until he wrestles the top guys. ***

Flip/Kanemaru was another boring Kanemaru match and Flip isn't near complete enough to make that guy interesting. Worst match of the tournament so far. *1/2

Ishimori/BUSHI was the best BUSHI match in forever. Ishimori proved again his worth and in-ring capabilities and is even a better heel than LIJ's BUSHI. I thought this was worth watching and a legit good match, largely due to the Bone Soldier. ***1/2

Thought Ospreay/ACH was as good as it could be considering the stylistic matchup and both men's strengths and weaknesses, I thought Ospreay brought his A game here athletically and they didn't go too over the top crazy, the layout was good and like I mentioned before last year ACH did not impress, but this year seems to really be bringing it and I thought definitely looked right up there with the legacy high flyers a lot of people bring up. The crowd dug it a lot too and an enjoyable main event. Much better than night 2. ***3/4

No commentary shows are always nice.

Night 4:

SHO/Sabin was a strong performance for both men and both of the newcomers have proven to be big time additions to the tournament in my eyes, stylistically SHO especially impressed due to his youth and his ability to work with the differing influences of Dragon Lee and Chris Sabin in back to back tournament matches. Sabin is setting a strong tone especially compared to Shelley when he was in these. Really enjoyed this a lot. ***3/4

Lee/Taguchi was a solid match but sadly not that memorable. I was thinking these guys could rock the house but it didn't really come together. I'm still banking on one or two big Taguchi matches going forward though, this just was a bit of a missed opportunity, and he and Lee didn't have the best chemistry. Still for sure a solid match though, just not something you gotta rush out to see. ***1/4

Scurll/KUSHIDA I was digging for awhile with the arm work, there was some good selling from both men, the armwork was good but of course there had to be his Scurllisms, they went too long and I kinda like the idea of KUSHIDA not being able to hang on to the Hoverboard Lock on paper, but in execution him just letting go and hitting BTTF was really flat. Not a favorite but there was some good work early on. ***

Hiromu/Desperado was probably the best match of Desperado's career and showed what these guys can do when they're unleashed, the dudes killed it in terms of action, storytelling, and it really felt like the long match was earned rather than them just having an epic for the sake of an epic. I think you could easily make the case this stole the tournament thus far and I just have to blame the where we would be if they had just booked Hiromu better. This man could be a legit main eventer right now. Still, everything about it ruled and it was a huge win for Desperado, and I hope he himself does a lot with it because his own motivation seems to hold him back more than anything. ****1/4
    C'est Magnifique~

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

BOSJ Day Five

BUSHI vs Tiger Mask: ***¼

Another pretty good match for Tiger Mask, going on a tear this year. Bit slow starting off but built and turned into a good, entertaining match with a few good spots. Loved how they teased and built up the top rope spot the entire match. Just simple storytelling.

ACH vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru : **¼
    Okay match. If you look at the match, nothing wrong with it but it wasn't very interesting. Although I liked the DDT Kanemaru did.

Taiji Ishimori vs Flip Gordon: **¼
    Sigh. This meh. Ishimori’s work on top was actually pretty good and I enjoyed it but I don't like Flip so the work can only be so effective. Flip’s comebacks weren't great, he just annoyed me. He tries way too hard to look flashy instead of doing the simple things right. Sad.

Will Ospreay vs Yoh: ***½
    Good main event. Bit long but the work in the match was pretty entertaining. Ospreay was the more dominant of two which made sense and I think he did well. Two CHAOS members trying to outdo each other, leading to a fun match. Yoh did much better here than the previous matches. Not much selling though, which is my only criticism.

Hit and misses. Two good matches, two not so good matches. Tiger Mask continues to have a good tournament, Ospreay and Yoh have a good match. Flip continues to be the worst part of the tournament. The usual.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Nevermind what I said about them having something with Ishimori now that they jobbed him out to Flip. Truly baffling booking as usual. The match wasn't that bad though and Flip is definitely not the worst part of the tournament with Kanemaru, Scurll, & BUSHI there, but it definitely was not a standout by any means. Really no matches on the show were. But Ishimori did do his part. **3/4

Part of me kind of likes Tiger getting the surprise run, but then it brings us back to last year. Wouldn't it have made more sense to do this with Liger last year when it would have meant so much more? Or hell even with Tiger since they had Tiger Mask W on. Doing it now kind of makes me sad and that Liger & Nagata run was arguably my least favorite booking even with Hiromu. Anyway Tiger's match with BUSHI was nothing special and felt very heatless. **3/4

Kanemaru/ACH was probably my least favorite barely due to Kanemaru in there, but it wasn't terrible. It was just good enough to be average. **1/2

Ospreay/Yoh was solid enough but I definitely think name value is overrating it, this wasn't as good as either Sabin match or Ishimori/BUSHI and as for Yoh's first main event against a world class level worker at the moment I expected more. Personally think Sho is way ahead of him. Ospreay didn't put in his best performance either and really I think they didn't care too much. If you analyze these matches deeper, they were all very simple in layout and execution. Better luck next time. ***1/4
    C'est Magnifique~

YES! YES! YES!

Status

Well Ishimori would of had to of lost a match somewhere to make final night interesting as he'd already beaten Ospreay and Ospreay isn't finishing lower than 2nd in his block. Is Flip really that bad of a choice to beat him? Tiger Mask and Kanemura beating him achieves nothing because they're on the tailend of their career, he's already faced BUSHI, I think ACH is just a spot filler, he doesn't work ROH and he won't be back again until the Jr tag tournament so I don't think that's a wise pick either. Yoh is legitimately the only choice who might of made more sense. Flip is someone who will be in future BOSJ tournaments and probably will get a title shot at some point in the future given the ROH connections, doesn't seem that bad a result in all honesty.

If you want to argue that maybe the Ospreay match should of been a draw, and Ishimori goes 6-0-1 and Ospreay loses (or draws again) on the final night so Ishimori can get into the final and win the tournament without dropping a fall to really push him hard....ok I think that would of been fine. But once he beats Ospreay he has to lose somewhere else.

I haven't watched this show yet so I can't comment on quality of matches.

Status

Yeah, Ishimori's losing to Flip is probably inconsequential in the long run if Flip's going to be a nonfactor for the Juniors going forward. Plus it's the usual tournament booking where people need to lose anyway. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't really harm Ishimori.

The fact Ishimori has beaten Ospreay already casts serious doubts on him winning the tournament tbh. He's effectively got his title shot already.

I still think Liger's booking was perfectly fine last year. Wasn't the point supposed to be that he's past it? Maybe Liger himself had a say in it.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Thread Information