Thread: WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Review

Extreme Rules WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Review

Extreme Rules
    April 29, 2012

Randy Orton vs Kane - Falls Count Anywhere Match
    A rematch from Wrestlemania 28 where Kane surprisingly pinned Orton. The build-up for this match saw both men attacking and terrorizing the other’s father. With his death less than a year later, I presume that was Paul Bearer’s last WWE appearance. Surprisingly, this was fun. It was treated as an Attitude Era brawl with both men battling in the ring, out of the ring, in the crowd, up the entrance way, and in the back. During their segment while fighting in the back, they ended up in a room where some of the lowcarders were watching the PPV including Zack Ryder. Seeing his chance to get some revenge on Kane, Ryder attacked The Demon, only to get throttled by Kane before Orton came to Ryder’s rescue. The action continued until it returned to the ring where a steel chair was brought into the picture. While Kane tried to use the chair to his advantage, Orton managed to counter Kane’s offense and deliver a RKO on the chair to get the victory and avenge his WM loss. There’s really not much to say about this match other than it being a fun brawl. I prefer it to their WM match and frankly, it’s probably more entertaining than most Orton matches in the last several years. If you’ve never seen it, maybe give it a watch the next time you’re watching something from this show. ***

Dolph Ziggler w/Vickie Guerrero and Jack Swagger vs Brodus Clay w/Hornswoggle
    Swagger wearing a suit made him unrecognizable to me. What a weird match this was. For starters, I have no idea why Ziggler is even in this match when he’s in a position where he can challenge for a World Title in any B-Title defense. Even though this is a very early PPV match for Clay, Ziggler controlled the match, making it questionable as to why Clay isn’t dominating when the entire match was just four minutes long. It ended up being a pure nothing match before Clay made his comeback, thwarted a Swagger interference and pinned Ziggler with a big splash. It’s a standard Raw match, but one that had me wondering why anything that happened happened. **

The Big Show © vs Cody Rhodes - Tables Match - WWE IC Title
    A rematch from WM 28 where Show finally picked up a win at Mania. It’s Michael Cole calling Rhodes one of the longest reigning IC Champions ever that made me realize how rare long reigns actually are. According to Wiki, Rhodes’ reign that ended at WM 28 was the 9th longest in history, despite only being 7 months long. Considering the outcome for this match, it’s hard not to completely shit on this match. The WWE made such a big deal about Show winning the IC Title at WM 28, only to turn around and have him drop it at the very next PPV in a match that didn’t even go five minutes. They didn’t bother doing anything other than kill some time until Show was caught stepping over the top rope and Rhodes delivered a drop kick, causing Show to lose his balance and step on the table that was located on the floor behind him. The table breaks and...Cody Rhodes is your NEW WWE IC Champion. This BS finish makes Sheamus’ victory against Cena at TLC 2009 look perfectly okay. They couldn’t have at least had this been a normal length match? Everything about this was so pointless. Furthermore, had they just let Rhodes never lose the IC Title, he would have remained IC Champion for approx 287 days, making him the longest reigning IC Champion since 1988. That was actually something you could brag about! So not only was this a shit of a match, but it also ruins the Wrestlemania moment of Big Show finally winning at the show. Way to go. ¾ *

After the match, Big Show attacks Rhodes, putting him through a couple of tables.

Sheamus © vs Daniel Bryan - 2 out of 3 Falls - World Heavyweight Title
    Nothing says EXTREME~! quite like a 2 out of 3 falls match. This is of course a rematch of one of the most infamous matches in WM history. The layout of the match is admittedly a little odd. The first fall lasts a long fifteen minutes, the next fall is over in about a minute, and the third is done about six minutes later. The result is that the first fall feels a lot longer than it actually is. It’s an okay fall, but it’s mostly just back and forth action with neither guy gaining much of the advantage. After two failed attempts of having a match at Wrestlemania, it was this fall that finally gave the fans a chance to see what Bryan and Sheamus can do in the ring. Bryan would end up getting himself DQ’d for kicking too much ass with a series of Yes Kicks while Sheamus is against the ropes. DQing someone for such a reason will always come off as being lame, but it’s this point that causes the match to become a lot better. Due to all of the Yes Kicks, Sheamus has now sustained a shoulder injury. For the rest of the match, it would be a major problem for the champion. The second fall is extremely simple as Bryan hits a drop kick in the corner and slaps on the Yes Lock with Sheamus eventually passing out due to the pain and the referee calling for the bell, awarding the fall to Bryan to bring the series to 1-1. If it wasn’t for the fact that the WWE completely killed Sheamus’ popularity for good at WM 28, the third fall is where he would have really shined as a top babyface. Despite the problematic shoulder, Sheamus keeps fighting in this fall, refusing to give Bryan his second easy fall. Sheamus truly looks awesome in this, but you can’t help but feel as if it’s pointless all because Sheamus is forever tied to the eighteen seconds loss frustration. Like any great babyface, Sheamus manages to overcome the odds and surprise Bryan with a Brogue Kick to get the pin and win the match 2-1. I have to wonder how things would differ had this been the match the WWE put on at WM instead of what we got. Admittedly, I didn’t like it quite as much as I originally did because the lack of balance between the three falls made the first fall feel as if it was just filler. It’s still a hell of a match and what I presume is Bryan’s best WWE match up to this point. *** ¾

Ryback vs Aaron Relic and Jay Hatton
    Ah yes, 2012, the year where we saw a bunch of PPV squash matches for Ryback and Brodus Clay. This would be Ryback’s PPV debut, under that gimmick. For the hell of it, I looked up both jobbers to see if they ended up becoming anyone special. Relic’s claim to fame is that he worked a dark match for ROH back in 2010. He’s still working in the Missouri area though. Meanwhile, Hatton’s claim to fame is that...he’s still wrestling today? I suppose not everyone can be like spotting Bobby Roode working HEAT back in 2003. Anyways, Ryback quickly destroyed both bitches. We see a Meat Hook, a Backback Stunner, and a Shell Shock to score the victory while pinning both men. There’s a couple of loud “Goldberg!” chants. These Ryback squashes against the actual jobbers are fun, but it’s difficult not to be disappointed that we’re not seeing another match that actually matters since this could have taken place on any Raw or Smackdown. SQUASH

CM Punk © vs Chris Jericho - Chicago Street Fight - WWE World Title
    Yet another rematch from Wrestlemania 28. Since winning the WWE Title at Survivor Series, Punk has only main evented one PPV, including that Survivor Series win. While I can certainly understand the Royal Rumble match main eventing over Punk vs Dolph Ziggler, did we really need John Cena vs Kane to main event over a Punk elimination chamber match with the belt on the line? Get used to it Punk because this is going to be happening A LOT during your title reign. Yet, despite these lack of main events, Punk yet again delivers a MOTN. Right away is Punk bringing the hatred by really firing away at Jericho with a Singapore cane to put over how much Punk wants revenge for all of the things Jericho has said about Punk’s family. Jericho is in top form with his heel work by not only purposely inflicting punishment on Punk in front of his family in the front row, but also late in the match pulling out a couple cans of beer with the intention of pouring them on Punk. What a dick. And to be fair that’s just two of the many heelish antics that Jericho did. For PG WWE, Jericho and Punk tried to push the limits by using various objects including the aforementioned cane, a commentator’s table, exposed turnbuckle, and a monster spot involving Punk hitting a top rope elbow drop onto Jericho throw a commentator’s table. This grudge match continued until Punk could finally put away Jericho with the Go 2 Sleep for the victory. I’m pretty confident in calling this a WWE MOTYC. They made the match work despite the limitations. Better than their WM 28 match. **** ¼

Nikki Bella © w/Brie Bella vs Layla - WWE Divas Title
    If you’re like me, you’re going to have zero memory of Nikki’s first Divas Title reign. I instantly forgave myself for the lapse in memory when looking up how long the reign was and seeing that she won the title from Beth Phoenix on the go home edition of Raw and lost it here. Going from one reign that lasted less than a week to a second reign that lasted nearly a year is quite the difference. Since this is pre-boob job, I have no idea which Bella is which. Apparently this was supposed to be a rematch against Phoenix, but since she suffered an injury, Nikki was booked against a surprise opponent. This is Layla’s surprise return to WWE TV after suffering a bad knee injury this time last year. With the exception of a very short Smackdown match on the show after the PPV, this is actually Layla’s first proper match since Extreme Rules 2011. This should be a huge deal, but I’m just left with the thought that I didn’t even realize Layla was out of action in 2011 in the first place! The Chicago fans showed their appreciation for Layla’s return by instead chanting “We want Kharma!” It’s a short match with Brie interference to allow Nikki to ever so shortly work over Layla’s previously injured knee. Brie’s help ends up backfiring after a little Twin Magic lead to Layla just delivering a neckbreaker to Brie to pin her to become the NEW WWE Divas Champion. It’s a match, a match that fails to even garner the easier reaction they were attempting to attain due to the fans preferring a better surprise such as Kharma. * ½

Brock Lesnar vs John Cena - Extreme Rules Match
    Brock’s first WWE match since Wrestlemania 20. Besides Brock’s attempt at joining the NFL and his obvious success with UFC, Lesnar also had a bit of a run in New Japan during his absence from the WWE. Sadly, you can’t find any of Brock’s matches on NJPW World, but most are probably still on Youtube. For years, a Lesnar returned seemed flat out impossible to me. When he did end up making his surprise return on the night after Wrestlemania, I’d actually call it the biggest moment in wrestling for all of 2012. It’s weird seeing modern Brock without Heyman. Luckily, Heyman would return to the company shortly after this PPV to be in Brock’s corner from that point on. Back when this match first happened, I remember being a big critic of it. I went into this fully expecting to change my tune, now able to appreciate it. The early going helped that belief as I didn’t have any problem with anything happening. Then...my original issues with the match occurred again. It’s an Extreme Rules match. Why did referee, Charles Robinson, have to suffer a ref bump? What purpose does this serve? Zero. Then there’s the fact that even though it’s a simple bump, Robinson is knocked out for AGES. Even worse, he’s out cold without anyone even bothering to go check on him or replace him as referee. What the fuck is happening? Once Robinson does recover, he’s knocked out for a second time as Cena’s shoes crash into Robinson’s face during a F5. That at least lead to Lesnar failing to beat Cena despite having the clear three count cover on Cena. Yet, once a second referee comes out to count, that creates yet another problem as I’m left wondering where this ref, or the one that quickly follows him, was for the entire first half of the match where Robinson was potentially dead? Again, this is an Extreme Rules match. Knocking out a referee is so unnecessarily! There’s the referee stoppage early on to allow the physician to take care of Cena’s open wound, which makes zero sense in an Extreme Rules match. How extreme can a match be when you have to stop it because someone started to bleed? Mind you, all of this is happening when there’s some really interesting stuff going on in the ring. It feels unlike any other WWE match as this all has an authentic feel to it. This isn’t a wrestling match as much as it’s a “Shoot” match with former UFC Heavyweight Champion, Brock Lesnar. I do love how different it feels and the fact that the WWE didn’t try to force Lesnar to start working like he did in 2002-2004 again. The match also feels really big. Even though I love to bitch about Punk not getting main event matches, it’s hard to argue against letting Lesnar wrestle in the main event here. Granted, you could also make the argument that if you’re bringing Lesnar back, he should be thrown against the WWE Champion, to allow Punk to truly feel like the top guy rather than only reinforce the idea that regardless of who is the WWE Champion, Cena remains the top guy. All of these issues pale in comparison to my biggest problem - Cena actually pins Lesnar. Sure, he used a steel chain to knock out Lesnar, but in an Extreme Rules match, that’s clean. There’s not a single legitimate argument to be made in favor of Cena going over. It’d be one thing if this was Brock’s one and only match in his WWE return, but we knew it wasn’t going to be. It’s not as if Cena was champion. With how the WWE would book Lesnar, this would be a loss that the company would be forced to actively avoid because it went against what they wanted for Brock. The match certainly has some great qualities, but I will never understand those who claim this is a MOTYC. The match clearly has some great qualities, but the problems are just as evident. It’s easily a must see match from 2012, but it absolutely isn’t one of the best matches from the year. ***

Overall
    WWE’s follow-up to Wrestlemania 28 is a mixed show. You either have really great or important stuff or truly skippable action. Three out of the four Wrestlemania rematches were better than the first ones with the sole exception being the mess that was the tables match. In the case of Sheamus/Bryan especially, you took something that was the biggest negative of Mania and turned it into the second best thing about Extreme Rules. There is some clear filler though. The Ryback squash was fun for what it was, but did it deserve to be on PPV? Absolutely not. The Brodus/Ziggler match makes little sense to me as it was treated as a short squash for Clay, but then Ziggler dominated the match until the finish. Overall, Extreme Rules has enough major matches to be a must see PPV of 2012, but feel free to skip over a lot.

Sweet Meat

Status

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Review

Your MOTN isn't even my second favorite from the night. What an interesting show.

Spoiler:

I solemnly swear I am up to no good

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff Bagwell on John Cena
    But I think he's bigger than Buff Bagwell. I really do.
    [02:00 AM] Dakstang : girls ain't dudes

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

WWE Extreme Rules 2012 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Dook Gulak View Post
    Your MOTN isn't even my second favorite from the night. What an interesting show.
    Agreed. I think I have it ranked 4th after Sheamus/Bryan, Cena/Lesnar and Orton/Kane.

I concur with Jim on one thing though, Cody/Show was horrible.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Sweet Meat

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Agreed. I think I have it ranked 4th after Sheamus/Bryan, Cena/Lesnar and Orton/Kane.

I concur with Jim on one thing though, Cody/Show was horrible.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.
    Worth it for the GIF

Spoiler:

I stopped reading when it became clear it was the same butthurt smarkf*g "real wrasslin'" crybaby rant on every youtube vid featuring Cena.

Status
      Country                    United States

I always felt this Jericho/Punk match was really underrated because the feud as a whole didn't really live up to expectations. It's a really good match from both guys after their mild dud of a Mania match, definitely agree it's the match of the show.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    I always felt this Jericho/Punk match was really underrated because the feud as a whole didn't really live up to expectations. It's a really good match from both guys after their mild dud of a Mania match, definitely agree it's the match of the show.
    Up until this thread, I was under the impression that everyone thought it was a great match.

Sweet Meat

Status

I definitely really liked it (though I haven't seen it in half a decade), I just think more highly of Bryan and Cena's matches.

Spoiler:

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

I think Extreme Rules is a top 5 WWE PPV of the decade and you've grossly underrated Bryan/Sheamus and Lesnar/Cena, both of them to me are MOTYC, along with Punk/Jericho that I loved too.

The only thing I agree with you on with Cena/Lesnar is that Brock should of won in his first match back and it kind of derailed his momentum. That first year they had him back looks so weird given how he would be booked from the streak ending to current day. Other than that, the match is phenomenal and I still can't compare it to any other WWE match since it happened, the aura around it was something else, you could not take your eyes of it. The ref bump didn't spoil anything for me, in fact it added to the sense of danger in the match. Moaning about the stoppage to treat Cena's wound not being extreme....it's WWE policy to do that in every match, what are you expecting? it hardly stopped the matches flow like it did for Joe/Balor. There's a chance that watching it today given my hate for Lesnar that I'd end up disliking this match more that usual, but I think it's definitely one of his strongest matches since he returned to wrestling.

Sheamus Vs Bryan was a tremendous wrestling match, MOTYC level for sure. The type of match we were robbed of at mania

We see eye to eye on Punk/Jericho, better than mania and a really fucking good modern era Street Fight. Loved that Punk came out in jeans to make the match feel different.

Table matches suck, so I actually dug the short match and creative finish to Big Show/Cody. I don't think it takes away from Show's mania moment at all. My only issue is that in giving the belt back to Cody, they then had him drop to Christian at the next PPV so it didn't really achieve much making him champion again.

I was such a mark for the Ryback squashes where the jobbers would get a little promo time to set them up as dorks.

Brodus Clay was, and still is, the absolute pits. An act that belongs in the 90s and a wrestler that belongs in the 80s.

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

I had this show on Blu-Ray for years & only ever watched the main 3 matches from it before trading it in.

Agree big time on Cena going over Brock. Made no sense then, makes no sense now. If they gave that much of a shit about Cena losing they wouldn't have had him lose to Big Johnny a month later.

I still feel to this day Brodus could have been an effective monster had they not swerved everyone with that Funkasaurus bollocks for no reason.

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think Extreme Rules is a top 5 WWE PPV of the decade and you've grossly underrated Bryan/Sheamus and Lesnar/Cena, both of them to me are MOTYC, along with Punk/Jericho that I loved too.
    I'm with you on this. This is one the great PPVs of recent years to me. I've said elsewhere I had lost interest in WWE by this period, but this is one of the shows that I bought simply for the Brock/Cena match. Jim, I can understand what you're syaing, but I love the hell out of that match. It just felt so different to anything the company had tried before. It felt like a fight, and I love those types of matches.

Of course, the ending is unforgivable, and what takes it from an all timer to just a great match. If Brock goes over hard, I think it's remembered as a legendary match. For how hard Brock is getting pushed now, that'd have made so much more sense at the time. Come in, smash through the biggest star, win the belt, dominant. It was perfectly set up, but no. He jobs to Cena, then ends up in a never ending feud with Triple H. Ugh.

Really enjoyed the street fight, loved 2/3 falls (as you say, the match they should have had an Mania), and even Kane/Orton was somehow very watchable. If you swap out the tables match and the Brodus Clay nonsense for something better and you've got a real elite level PPV on your hands.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

I find this to be a great PPV. Sure Cena winning didn't make a whole lot of sense, though I suspect if Lesnar had become a full-time competitor then he might have won and Cena won a rematch later that summer. I'd have to go back and watch this show to decide which match was my favorite, though it's down to Punk/Y2J and Sheamus/Bryan. And I want to disagree with the assessment than Byran vs Sheamus was the worst part of Mania. While it was very disappointing and one of the worst parts of the show, it did provide a good shock factor and launched the Bryan/AJ storyline, and for all of that, I thought it was better than the women's match or Team Johnny vs Team Teddy.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    I find this to be a great PPV. Sure Cena winning didn't make a whole lot of sense, though I suspect if Lesnar had become a full-time competitor then he might have won and Cena won a rematch later that summer.
    They didn't sign Lesnar with just the idea that this could be an one time deal with him. He had an one year contract with X amount of appearances. If you look around some, you can find sites reporting that as far back as March 2012.

Thread Information