Thread: Insane Championship Wrestling: I Need To Vent

Just Justice

Status

Insane Championship Wrestling: I Need To Vent

Right so basically what I'm doing here is essentially letting all my grievences out on one of, if not my favourite promotion. If you don't know what ICW is, they're a Scottish independant promotion who got their name due to their violent matches, almost always energetic crowds and having a.... Let's say colourful cast of characters. I do want to say, for the negatives I'm about to give ICW, I'm a HUGE fan of their product and their wrestlers, fuck my username is one of them. So do please check them out as they are part of the top three British promotions out there. These are in no particular order, as their just what comes into my head when it comes to my issues with the company.

Grievance #1: Interference

Now, interference in pro wrestling of course is nothing new and I don't actually mind it. It can help further storylines and gain heat on a wrestler. However, ICW use interferance like it's no one's business. I was rewatching the 2018 Square Go! and on a card of 5 matches, including the Royal Rumble/MITB hybrid, there was interference in 4, with the only clean finish being that of James Storm beating Jack Jester. That's WAY too much, especially for a big show. Barramania 4, without going into spoilers, had 4 Interferences, 5 if you include Stevie Boy's cash-in. that's still too much for a supposedly big show, ICW seem to think that a big match MUST have some sort of interference. It doesn't. Just have someone win and someone lose, simple.

Grievance #2: Bram.

Seriously, why is this guy still employed? Bram has to be one of the worst wrestlers in the British scene. He actively detracts from any card he's on and, not to mention, is HUGE fucking cunt. You can argue that he's a heel, so I'm supposed to hate him, but that simply is NOT an excuse. This guy has brutally beaten someone IN the ring, he assaults police officers and yet ICW feature him as a top name. In terms of his in-ring work, he's usually the worst guy on the card unless he's working with BT Gunn, Lionheart or someone of that nature. He seems to always churn out below average performances night in, night out. I'm NOT looking for 5 star matches in ICW. Quite the opposite in fact, I get that they are more directed at characters and storylines than putting on the kind of matches that'll get big Davey Meltzer in a tizzy, it's why I love them so much. But everytime Bram appears on my laptop or in ring I do something else, he's an active detriment to the show and just looks fuckin bored whenever he's out there.

Grievance #3: Too Many Top Heels, Barely Any Top Faces

So, three nights ago, ICW held one of their top 4 so to speak, Barramania 4 (Their SummerSlam/Survivor Series). Now if you intend on watchin the show, I'm going to put my point in spoilers just in case, cause I do recommend you watch it as it was a pretty good show.

Spoiler:

So, on this show we had 2 Heel turns, back to back. The first one came from Kenny Williams, who's been a tremendous babyface for the better half of four-five years now. He's just such a likeable wee guy and had a banger of a match with Rey Mysterio at Fear and Loathing X (check it out, seriously it's really good) and he had a Ladder Match against Stevie Boy, another young guy who's been fucking phenomenal as the slimey, cunning wee greasy bastard. If Kenny lost he'd be gone from ICW, if Stevie lost he'd lose his Square Go! Briefcase. The match was pretty standard ladder match fare and Stevie Boy won the match, so that means Williams is gone from ICW for a while right? Wrong. After the match he called his pal Aaron Echo to the ring and lowblowed him, signing with RUDO Sports & Entertainment Brand, Red Lightning's crew. Now, the reason I have an issue with this is because Kenny was one of the true genuine babyfaces at the top of the card. Kenny could be a fuckin megastar as a good guy, but now he turned heel in a move which seemed to much like Grado's heel turn at the same event last year, except this turn was less shocking or impactful. Grado's turn at least was fresh and gave us a fun, new dimention to his character and he pulled it off. Williams' turn had barely any reaction and when he signed with RUDO it just felt like ICW backing out of a stipulation.

The 2nd turn happened right after, as James Storm turned his back on Ravie Davie by smashing a beer bottle over his head. I'll go onto Davie later in this, but James Storm turning heel literally just after Kenny turned heel just seemed silly to me. Storm can certainly pull it off, but why do it one segment after we just saw a big star turn heel? It certainly has potential to be entertaining, but if everyone's supposed to be booed, who am I gonna cheer? ICW are in desperate need of top faces, as you only really have BT Gunn, who just lost his ICW Championship, Chris Renfrew, who's in a midcard feud with Joe Hendry, and Jimmy Havoc, who's more of a guest who isn't a fulltime guy. Lionheart is more of an upper-midcard guy, although I'd love to see him break out of that and hit main event status. Meanwhile on the heel side of the roster you have Stevie Boy, Kenny Williams now, Joe Coffey with his return, Mikey Whiplash (although to be fair, the fans react to him like a full out face), Bram, Jackie Polo & now James Storm. They need a face to battle Stevie Boy for the Hydro, I assume a Grado return? It seems they're going the Stevie/BT/Whippy route for Shugs 5 in July, so lets hope that they can build up a good name for then.

Grievance #4: Where All The Women At?

Now granted, this criticism isn't really ICW's fault, as Scotland doesn't really have a healthy women's division. But if you're going to have a women's title, can we PLEASE have more than three or four women fighting for it? I'm a big fan of Viper, Kay Lee Ray and Kasey, but if I need to see some combination of those three fighting again it'll be too soon. Yeah they have Martina now, but that's still 4 women. That's not enough to make a division. Aivil seems to be content being Mikey Whiplash's manager, but hopefully she'll jump into the ring soon. Scotland might not have that big a division, but fuck man, you're in the UK. Try bringing in some girls from England, like Millie McKenzie, Toni Storm or Jinny for a couple of shows? This one really annoys me because I've REALLY been getting into women's wrestling as of late and it's a shame that my favourite promotion just seems to have one that's non existant. At this rate they need to bring in more regular women, or just suspend the division.

Grievance #5: Is Ravie Davie Supposed To Be Stupid?

Now, I LOVE Ravie Davie. Seriously the lad is mad talented, and can be a big star for ICW in the future, but the longer this Bram feud goes on, the more he looks like a fuckin idiot. Let us just take a look at this fuckin feud. Also this is a criticism of the FEUD and how it's been booked, not of Davie himself. (this is recapped so I might be missing stuff, so if you know the feud please correct me):

The feud began with Ravie Davie and Martina's wedding at Shug's 4, when Bram interfered and attacked Davie. Bram went on the beat the absolute fuck out of Davie for weeks, until finally Davie got a match with him one day before Fear & Loathing X. If Davie won he'd be entered into the #1 Contender's Ladder Match at F&L. Davie went on to win the match, only to get the shit kicked out him again. F&L comes along and he has a good showing and right as he's about to win, his wife Martina screws him out the match and kisses Bram in front of him. We go onto a Fight Club Taping to before the Square Go were we have Bram & Martina vs Davie & Kasey. Davie gets humiliated and pinned by Martina, with a post-match beatdown to boot. Iestyn Rees joins RUDO during this time and now it's two people beating the piss out of the poor lad now, including powerbombing him down FUCKIN STAIRS. We finally get to Barramania 4, where Davie and James Storm take on Rees & Bram (check spoilers in grievance 3).

Davie has NEVER had the advantage over Bram since this feud began, whenever he wins, Bram just kicks the piss out of him straight after. I really just want the feud to die at this point, because I'm sick of seeing a great prospect for the company just get battered show after show after show with no end in sight. END THIS FEUD.

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Insane Championship Wrestling: I Need To Vent

Haven't really paid ICW a great deal of attention recently so I can't comment too much upon their recent decision making. I do know they love a turn though, so the Kenny Williams thing doesn't surprise me.

Having been to one ICW show, I know their audience mostly revolves around those who think the Attitude era was the golden age of wrestling, so I'm not gonna have a go at a company for serving their audiences needs. It's not for me though.

Still, fuck Bram. Saw Ravie Davie at that show & whilst his gimmick was fun, Beano has since come along & looks x10 more competent & legitimate with a similar feel.

Just Justice

Status

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from sir. I wasn't born during the Attitude Era, so I mainly enjoy the product for a lot of the storylines and the over aethestic of the shows. The Jackie Polo-Lionheart storyline is fucking incredible, especially after Barramania 4, I'm really interested in the world title scene now Stevie Boy is champion, The Coffey Brothers facing off at Shug's 5 will be bangin, there is stuff about this company I fucking LOVE. But I feel if I air my grievences anywhere else, folk are going to assume I'm hating on the full product. The ICW Fanbase seem to think that criticism is me attacking the product, why the fuck would I want ICW to fail? They're the biggest promotion in Scotland and since PROGRESS don't come up here, they're the only 18+ promotion that actually run decent shows. The ICW crowd have almost a pack mentality and it's fucking annoying. Never heard of Beano, you got any links?

[Your Name]

Status
      Country                    England

It's not surprising fans are loyal. As you mentioned, with PROGRESS never going that far north (which I think is out of respect for ICW), there's very much a sense of ICW being "theirs". Same with Irish fans and OTT.

Tried to find some stuff on Beano on Youtube but it's real limited. FWIW, he's not a world beater by any means, but he's working with the Welsh/West Country/Midlands promotions a lot, so he's got a lit of good guys to learn off of.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Postman Dave; 05-07-2018 at 05:01 AM.

Thread Information