Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruno Samartino has passed away at 82

Cult of Fuji

Status
      Country                    us=United States

Bruno Samartino has passed away at 82

WWE Hall of Famer Bruno Sammartino has died at age 82.

“The Living Legend” was the face of Vince McMahon Senior’s WWWF in the 1960s and 1970s, and packed the house at Madison Square Garden on a monthly basis for matches with other legends like Superstar Billy Graham, Ivan Koloff, Bruiser Brody, Freddie Blassie, Stan Hansen, Bob Backlund, Blackjack Mulligan and Larry Zbyszko. During that time, he held the World championship for more than 11 years, including a 2,803 day run in his second reign which is still a record for the now-WWE.
    Sammartino had a contentious relationship with both McMahons after his heyday, despite returning for a time in the 1980s where he served as his son David’s manager while also participating in non-title programs himself. The Italian-born Pittsburgh native sued the elder McMahon for money he believed he was cheated out of during his record-setting title run. Current WWE Chairman and C.E.O. Vince K. McMahon settled that suit out of court after his father’s death, but he and Bruno would butt heads over what Sammartino saw as tawdry angles and the proliferation of steroids and drug use in his federation for many years.

In 2013, Paul “Triple H” Levesque succeeded in bringing The Living Legend back into the fold. Sammartino spoke about how he believed his issues with WWE had been addressed, partly through their partnership with another Pittsburgher, Dr. Joseph Maroon, and accepted enshrinement in the WWE Hall of Fame.
    Sammartino’s death was reported by Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports columnist Ron Cook. PWInsider adds Bruno had been hospitalized recently, but no other details are available at this time.
    He is survived by his wife of almost 60 years Carol, their three sons and four grandchildren.
    On behalf of the entire Cageside Seats community, we express our condolences to the Sammartinos.

Very sad day indeed. Felt this needed it's own thread. RIP Bruno.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TEAM CYRUS

Status

Re: Bruno Samartino has passed away at 82

RIP to a legend.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Awful news, absolute legend in every sense of the word.

Very glad he and WWE made amends before he passed.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

People's Champion

Status

The greatest Champion of all time!!!
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

MC Mitchy D

Status
      Country                    Canada

R.I.P. to one of the greats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Sad news to come home to. Certainly one of the few that had a part to play in changing the business.
    I have a plan so cunning......

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

R.I.P Bruno!!!!!! What a legend.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

Prince Of Joshi

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Before Bruno went into the Hall of Fame I said it's not Hall of Fame till he's in there. I'm glad to see that he got in, and this hurts hard for me because this was my Dad's guy that got him into Wrestling as a kid. Similar to my Mom's love for Snuka, it brought it all together in the 80's and 90's to watch Wrestling together. He has no news on this and I'm going to have to tell him at work together he just break down after hearing this. Still Bruno laid the ground work how a Champion is suppose to act outside and inside the ring, truly horrible news today.

Real Women of Genius
    Ongoing, click the link if you want to take a tour of Women's Wrestling
    It's Morphin Time: A Mighty Morphin Walkthrough

Internet Favorite

Status

Very sad news. RIP to a true legend, one of the all time greats. A major loss to the wrestling world. Glad he got back on good terms with the WWE to get the recognition he rightfully deserves.

YES! YES! YES!

Status

I'm not gonna pretend like I'm a fan or have even watched a match of his before, but big respect to the role he played in the company. Certainly a mount rushmore figure in WWF/E.

Like Shock said, really glad Triple H managed to smooth things over to allow Bruno to go into the HOF a few years ago.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Ill never pretend like I know so much about the guy’s work because I don’t. But he’s one of the trailblazers and a name everyone should at least know. Really glad the fences were Mendes with him and the company.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Really glad the fences were Mendes with him and the company.
    That Mendes, always can be counted on to be fences.

I've never seen a Bruno match tbh but I'm aware of the legacy he's left behind and it's certainly commendable. RIP

#Fitzmajic

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Me and Mendes double teamed your mom.

Typing on a phone being obvious, really glad things worked out the way they did. It’s a real important thing to have (unless they overexpose it like with Warrior)
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

For those who haven't seen any or much of Bruno, the WWE Network has had a handy WWE Collection up for Bruno since last year. It features a lot of his big moments from his second title reign to his semi-retirement days in the mid 80s.

http://network.wwe.com/shows/collections/234493012

Jim's Favorite Threads
    Fright Fest Archives | Ask Jim |
    Horror Movie Discussion | Jim's Reviews Archive

Coming next month - TEN

Prince Of Joshi

Status

I saw this Interview with Styles and Bill Apter like a few months ago and I really dug it. It's a long Interview, but Bruno is taking about his life and his life in Wrestling of course. You know sometimes we say to ourselves my life is horrible, listen to Bruno talk about his life that will wake your ass up really fast. Didn't WWE have in the works for a DVD for Bruno, what ever happened with that?

Real Women of Genius

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah like others have said its a good thing he and WWE were able to make amends before his passing.

RIP Bruno

THEY COULD'VE BEEN GODS~!!!

Status

I have never watched one match of Sammartino, but holding the WWWF Championship for eight years is a remarkable accomplishment and I don't think it'll ever be matched in the modern era. He really helped put the WWWF on the map in the company's infant stage, thanks to Vincent J. McMahon.

RIP Bruno.

LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP ACCOMPLISHMENTS
    FANTASY BASEBALL: 2014 | FANTASY FOOTBALL: 2016 | FANTASY BASKETBALL: 2017-18

YES! YES! YES!

Status

So I've done a fairly decent dive in to Bruno since he died, before last week I barely knew anything about him other than him being the longest reigning WWE Champion of all time. This past week I've read up as many articles as I can find on Bruno and his career, I've listened to as many podcasts and interviews as I can find during my commutes to work, I've watched the fantastic WWE Network documentary, and watched a lot of matches in the Bruno collection. At the very least I highly recommend the Bruno documentary they put on the Network after Raw.

I defy anyone to hear the story of Bruno's upbringing in Italy and not be moved by his struggles and close calls with death (his mother was some woman) and not be inspired by how determined he was to make something of himself when he arrived in America. It's been said a lot about him, but he really was the embodiment of the american dream. The guy seems a class act too, and that sincerity bleeds into his promos and performance to where he's someone you can't help but want to root for because you know he's a good guy, there's no act there, a little bit like modern day Daniel Bryan. He also comes across as a legitimate sports hero with his basic ring gear and down to earth manner rather than a cartoonish superhero that you know is an act e.g. Hulk Hogan. From someone who missed Hogan's run on top in the 80s and can't stand having to watch him wrestle, Bruno is definitely more up my street, both in terms of in ring style and persona.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed his matches, they aren't classics, but they are an enjoyable watch to see a crowd get worked up to a frenzy and then pop like mad when Bruno wins, plus they differ in length and finish quite a lot so you never know what to expect. The first match I saw of him was against Killer Kowalski and it's different to anything I've ever seen in wrestling before because he's circling the ring with such a purpose and his idea of working Kowalski's leg is to just keep kicking him about 30 times in the same place and I don't know what to say, it feels like a real match with a proper strategy to win. There's a match with Waldo Von Erich, who was doing a straight up nazi gimmick, that's only about 4 minutes long but it's an incredible snapshot of his connection with the fans with some tremendous arm selling on the side. His feuds as he gets older against Larry Z and Roddy Piper are damn good as well and bring the hate. Here's dope segment with Piper:

Before Bruno died, if someone would of asked me who the greatest babyface in wrestling was I'd of probably said Rey Mysterio or Ricky Steamboat looking at the bulk of someone's career and how great they were at getting sympathy from the crowd, or Austin if you looked just at someone's peak few years and how big a superstar he was. After seeing what I have this week, I think my answer has to be Bruno now because it's insane how over this guy was and how the crowd's never got bored of him despite how long both of his title reigns lasted for. It doesn't matter if it's the 60s, 70s or 80s this guy is adored.

Prince Of Joshi

Status

Yeah I haven't seen the Bruno Documentary WWE did as of yet, but this seems better than anything WWE could create in my eyes. Bruno goes back to hometown and their are still people there that were there during the War, and the stories that are told not just from Bruno, but Siblings and Neighbors broke me so hard. Their was a story to where Bruno's Mother jumped off a Truck after being captured from Nazis because she didn't want to leave her kids behind. We complain in our lives oh life sucks with the smallest things, imagine what this family went through just to find something to eat day to day. Their was even a story when they had to leave their family members home that were taken over, and they had to live in a Cave for days and it wasn't the greatest thing to do with Bears in the area.

Real Women of Genius

Blackened Bliss

Status

Wouldn't say I'm a personal fan but I know the impact he had in the wrestling community and the business. For that he gets respect as any other.

RIP.

Thread Information