Thread: WWE Night of Champions 2014 Review

Night of Champions WWE Night of Champions 2014 Review

Night of Champions
    September 21, 2014

Since the WWE Network originally had a six month period where you had to keep your subscription, I ended up briefly cancelling the Network following Summerslam 2014. Naturally, I got it back prior to TLC and kept it ever since. In that initial six month time period, I ended up watching all six PPVs live. In the three and a half years since then, I think I’ve watched about six PPVs live.

The Usos © vs Goldust and Stardust - WWE Tag Titles
    Ugh. Stardust. The WWE took one of the best things in their company in 2013 and ruined it by transforming The Brotherhood into being Goldust and Stardust. This match was sad to watch as The Usos had been the best tag team of 2014 and they were forced to work a dull match for the majority of the bout as Goldust and Stardust was in charge while one of The Usos played the face-in-peril. When it’s the Usos on offense, it’s really fun. It’s all about picking up the pace, hitting dives, and just generally adding excitement. To his credit, Goldust tried getting in on the dives game too, but his team is still clearly holding back the Usos. Just as it looks as if the Usos will be able to win this match and move onto better opponents, Stardust got the knees up during an Uso top rope splash, allowing him to pin the Usos to win the match and to crown NEW WWE Tag Team Champions. My disinterest in the tag division would only get worse as Damien Mizdow would end up being a co-holder of the tag titles before the end of 2014. Fine for an opening match, but as we’ve seen in 2014 already, The Usos can do so much better. ** ½

Sheamus © vs Cesaro - WWE US Title
    Cesaro earned this title shot by defeating RVD. Although I remember a few things about RVD’s 2013 run, I don’t remember a single thing about his 4 month run in 2014. Like...literally nothing. This despite the fact that looking at his cagematch profile, I must have reviewed several of his 2014 matches. Onto the match and it’s one that Michael Cole claims will be ugly. The first half of this was pretty unremarkable. Hard hitting, but it’s slow paced. Yet, out of nowhere, the match suddenly gets awesome. It’s as if they had a moment of realization that they have great chemistry. The pace picks up, both men are trying to hit their finishes, but the other is countering it every time. We’re still getting plenty of nearfalls though with Cesaro hitting such moves as his old Alpamare Waterslide. The aggression also increases as both men are completely into beating the fuck out of each other. It’s actually that that leads into the finish with Cesaro slugging away on Sheamus in the corner and once the referee pulled Cesaro away, Sheamus surprised him with a Brogue Kick to get the pinfall. In a match where Cesaro kept countering the Brogue Kick, there wasn’t a better way finish the match than with Sheamus finally hitting it. Long before their Best of 7 series and the Bar tag team, Cesaro and Sheamus were still impressing together. *** ¼

Dolph Ziggler © w/R-Ziggler vs The Miz w/Damien Mizdow - WWE IC Title
    Oh god...Dolph has his own imitator now too. Nah, fuck this. Miz won to become the NEW WWE IC Champion. Not Rated.

Originally scheduled for Night of Champions was a Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns match, but Reigns ended up having emergency hernia surgery that very weekend. Rollins would still come out to the ring to force the referee to count to ten before awarding him the match. Rollins teased cashing in his MITB contract tonight before issuing a challenge to anyone in the back. That brought out the surprise return of Dean Ambrose, who hadn’t been seen since being injured by Rollins. Ambrose would punish Rollins all over the ringside, in the crowd, and in the ring. Finally, security would come out to restrain Ambrose, zip tying his hands behind his back, and carrying him to the back.

Rusev w/Lana vs Mark Henry
    In an attempt to make this match feel important, the WWE went all out on giving this a big match feel. Before Rusev’s entrance, Lilian Garcia sang the American national anthem while Henry sobbed in the middle of the ring. The commentators actually try claiming that this is Henry’s chance at redemption since those damn Russians played such a big role in Henry’s failure at the Olympics. If Henry can win this, he’ll be vindicated! It’s such a big match - Russia vs America~! Both men are fighting for their country in this match that means soooo much! For fucks sake, it’s just Rusev beating another meaningless low/midcarder like he did throughout all of 2014 to build up to his John Cena feud. Rusev worked over the back of Henry with Henry showing a lot of heart, but Henry’s one chance at victory, following a World’s Largest Slam, was ruined as Rusev rolled out of the ring. A few varied super kicks by Rusev later and Henry is howling in pain and submitting to the Accolade. This was a case of the WWE trying way too hard to make something feel important when it clearly wasn’t. The result is it’s a very eye rolling match with the odd result of America virtually being squashed by Russia. * ½

Chris Jericho vs Randy Orton
    It’s the battle of the first ever Undisputed Champions~! Btw, did you know that Chris Jericho once defeated both The Rock and Stone Cold in one night? Apparently, this is a feud that stems from the fact that Orton punted Jericho...years ago. Jericho wants revenge, baby! At no time does the commentators even state when this happened and the best we get is a vague “A few years ago”. WWE’s top notch commentating, ladies and gentleman. The shit commentating continues as the commentators choose to ignore the match in the first half, instead talking about their past Undisputed/WWE World Heavyweight Title wins, Cole watching Jericho’s WWE debut on the WWE Network, Cole watching Orton winning the World Heavyweight Title for the first time on the night that he got the thumbs down from Evolution (...two completely different nights, Cole), and Jerry Lawler reading a tweet from someone in Poland watching the PPV on the WWE Network. Was the service even available in Poland in September 2014 (I know it wasn’t in the UK for a few more months) or did the WWE advertise someone “Illegally” watching the Network? Mind you, it’s difficult blaming the shit WWE commentators for ignoring the match because Orton and Jericho didn’t do a single thing of interest in the first half. Even in the second half, when things pick up, I’m struggling to care because everything takes forever. Orton is locked in the Walls of Jericho for ages before finally countering. Even the finish, which saw Jericho attempt uhh...a flying splash to a standing backwards turned Orton, which was countered with a RKO (These top rope out of nowhere RKOs are the worst when they’re not even bothering to explain what the opponent is attempting) took forever since Jericho had to wait until Orton got back on his feet. The crowd did get really into the match though. I don’t understand it at all, but there was a “This is awesome” chant and a reaction for every nearfall. To me though, this was two established stars, going out there with the realization that it wasn’t the main event, so there wasn’t any reason to put in any effort. Looks like Jericho will have to try again later to get revenge for that obscure punt he received that one time. What an uneventful short 2014 run Jericho had. ** ¼

Before the next match, the WWE commentators openly mock the fans that paid $55 to see this PPV when they could have just paid $9.99 for the WWE Network.

Paige © vs Nikki Bella vs AJ Lee - WWE Diva’s Title
    Looking back, it’s pretty sad to see what happened to Paige. At one point, she seemed like she was going to be the leader of bringing quality women’s wrestling back to the WWE. Through injuries, she ended up missing so much time and frankly got forgotten thanks to the emergence of the Four Horsewomen. Now all anyone can unfairly focus on are her antics and scandals. This match wasn’t good though. For starters, it featured my biggest annoyance about triple threat matches - the series of one-on-one battles instead of actually featuring all three at one time. Paige’s character at this point is also baffling. She’s a heel who is acting as if she’s in love with AJ, which I believe is a response to AJ playing mind games with Paige, but...what? At various points, Paige stopped everything and either held a hurt AJ or held out her arm for AJ to I guess kiss it to make it feel better after Nikki worked it over? I don’t get the character at all. Since I knew Nikki’s record setting Divas Title reign would begin around this time period, I assumed she was going to win the belt. So, the finish of AJ trapping Paige in the Black Widow and eventually forcing Paige to submit to crown a NEW WWE Diva’s Champion was an unexpected result. The main roster badly needs the Four Horsewomen to not only deliver the quality, but to push the WWE to treat the division seriously because at this point, the division sucked something fierce. * ½

Brock Lesnar © w/Paul Heyman vs John Cena - WWE World Title
    A rematch from the most shocking match in Summerslam history. If Cena wins, Lesnar can’t wrestle again for the rest of 2014. If Brock wins, he gets to take a vacation from the WWE for the rest of 2014. Like at Summerslam, these two worked a physical match. Unlike Summerslam, Cena actually managed to get in a good amount of offense and Lesnar didn’t completely whore out the German Suplexes. At various points, Brock even focused on working over the arm with the kimura. The story though revolves around Cena taking everything Lesnar had to offer, but managed to remain in the match and seemed to be slowly getting the best of Lesnar. By the end of the match, Cena had nailed two FUs, had the STF on for a long period of time (Despite Brock clawing to the ropes three times, Cena would just pull him back to the middle of the ring), and finally hitting a third FU. Has Cena figured out a way to beat Brock? Before we can find out, Mr. MITB, Seth Rollins, rushes out to attack Cena to break up the cover and to cause Brock to lose by DQ so that he retained the WWE Title. Although not as good (Or shocking) as their Summerslam match, this was pretty entertaining. The finish isn’t exactly ideal, but it serves its purpose well. I do really like the question of whether or not Cena had the pin. Good way to end the PPV. *** ¼

After the match, Rollins knocks Cena out with the MITB briefcase and delivers a Curb Stomp to Lesnar. Rollins then cashes in his MITB contract and we are potentially witnessing a huge moment. Just before the referee can ring the bell, Cena attacks Rollins, sending Rollins running to the back. Lesnar, showing appreciation for Cena saving him from losing to Rollins, delivers a F5 to Cena to end the PPV standing tall. Great angle to hype the Brock vs Cena vs Rollins match, if only we didn’t have to wait months to finally see it.

Overall
    Considering the fact that this was the first PPV of the second 6 month subscription period (Although I believe they ditched that before the end of the six months), you would think that the WWE would put a bit more effort into the PPV. Instead, I'd call this the worst WWE PPV of the WWE Network era, up to this point. Some of it isn't the WWE's fault though. Losing Roman Reigns with a days notice already forced the WWE to lose one of their two big matches. Up to this point, every WWE PPV had been delivering at least one great match on every PPV. This show had a couple of good matches in Cesaro/Sheamus and Cena/Lesnar, but neither is a true must watch and in fact, they both had better singles matches together earlier in the year. Despite being one of the best parts about the WWE in this WWE Network era, the Usos end up losing their tag titles, kicking off a time period where I wouldn't have any interest in the tag division for awhile. The women continue to struggle thanks mostly due to booking. Jericho continues to mostly under deliver on PPV. The Rusev/Henry match was hilariously over hyped for what was essentially just an extended squash. There's also an IC Title match involving my least favorite character ever, so that was an automatic pass. They couldn't even be bothered to put on a match on the Kick-Off show. They did manage to set up a couple of important angles though with the return of Dean Ambrose and the Brock/Cena/Rollins feud. The latter did suffer from Brock's limited schedule. It's a match that really should have main evented Survivor Series 2014 rather than making everyone wait until Royal Rumble 2015. Overall, nowadays there isn't a reason to cancel the WWE Network in terms of quality due to all of the variety that's on the Network, but I can't say I missed a single thing by originally cancelling it post-Summerslam and missing this PPV.

Jim's Favorite Threads
    Fright Fest Archives | Ask Jim |
    Horror Movie Discussion | Jim's Reviews Archive

Coming next month - TEN

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: WWE Night of Champions 2014 Review

Great review.

I absolutely love that Henry vs Rusev match (well not the match but everything around it). It's so hilariously over the top, especially with Henry crying before the match and Big Show's pep talk. And then they have Rusev just dominate him and they basically say "wow, Mark Henry has let the entire country down". I love it.

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Since getting back into wrestling at Wrestlemania 26, Night of Champions 2014 remains the only WWE PPV I haven't watched. I was on holiday in Barcelona and when I returned the event was already a week old, it didn't get good reviews and the streams had all dried up because if you'll remember UK'ers couldn't legally get the network yet.

Looking back, it’s pretty sad to see what happened to Paige. At one point, she seemed like she was going to be the leader of bringing quality women’s wrestling back to the WWE. Through injuries, she ended up missing so much time and frankly got forgotten thanks to the emergence of the Four Horsewomen. Now all anyone can unfairly focus on are her antics and scandals.
    She has the weirdest career. I spoke about it when the rumours came out that her career was over that her and Emma really deserve more credit than they get for the womens revolution because they got the NXT crowds into it first and Paige was their first champion and star. She should of been the face that changed the main roster, but Vince wasn't ready for it so she ended up blending into the existing divas roster just to survive and by the time women were called up who could hang with her in the ring, she regressed to such a large extent that she couldn't hang with Sasha and Becky in the ring and then her career was pretty much over by early 2016. From memory, she was drafted to Raw in the brand split and if her head and neck were in the right place she would of been able to be join in the fun with Charlotte, Sasha and Bayley who were probably the highlights of Raw in 2016. I'm sure she'll be remembered for the part she played, and she's still wildly popular, but I'm sure there's a lot of regrets and bitterness that she can't take part in a special time in womens wrestling and missed out on the Royal Rumble by weeks.

The main roster badly needs the Four Horsewomen to not only deliver the quality, but to push the WWE to treat the division seriously because at this point, the division sucked something fierce
    In fairness, the horsewomen had only just started to impress in NXT around this point with Charlotte and Bayley having a pretty good title match a few weeks earlier and Becky hadn't long debuted and was someone the crowds didn't care about.

I know your point wasn't they needed the 4HW on this show, but rather moving forward the division needs them in 2015. But still, important to clarify NXT's girls were not firing on all cylinders at the same point in time.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Don’t you dare skip that IC title match. You go back and talk about Florida Georgia Line and shit.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

Scott Keith wouldn't skip a match

Brick Shithouse

Status

"We want Mizdow!"

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    Don’t you dare skip that IC title match. You go back and talk about Florida Georgia Line and shit.
    Nah, my 2014 ban of Mizdow is still technically active.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Scott Keith wouldn't skip a match
    Have you even gotten around to reading a single Keith review yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    "We want Mizdow!"
    Yeah and people want McMahon to give up on Roman Reigns. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

Jim's Favorite Threads
    Fright Fest Archives | Ask Jim |
    Horror Movie Discussion | Jim's Reviews Archive

Coming next month - TEN

Character Jobber

Status

I knew there was a reason I couldn't remember this PPV.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Nah, my 2014 ban of Mizdow is still technically active
    My forever ban on you is gonna be technically active son.

This works me more than your Almas hate.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Thread Information