Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSlSFq3IGf0

Bonus Match

AJ Styles vs. Apollo Crews vs. Baron Corbin vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. John Cena – WWE SmackDown, 26th July 2016

From the first post-draft SmackDown, where the winner of this match becomes the number one contender to the WWE Championship at Summerslam. I did like that this was the main event of this show because it felt like they were showing that SmackDown - despite its thin roster following the draft - was going to new directions. And the nice blend of big names, veterans and up-and-comers.

This was a fine main event match but it was a total spot fest and is very basic in its structure and it’s just a combination of one-on-one matches with very few spots involving more than two people. That’s bad enough in triple threat matches, but when there’s six people in the match and four of them are just having a snooze on the outside its very distracting. Plus the flow of the match is killed by commercial breaks. There’s one in the first thirty seconds of the match and we rejoin without ever getting a beginning. Then the second commercial and they just return with a double tower of doom spot. Ziggler himself contributed less than anyone in this match (except Cena who nothing in the whole match until he starts hitting everyone with AAs at the end). Ziggler’s offence, once again, looks awful as does him bouncing around the ring even when he’s not taking any moves. Just awful. These Ziggler performances around 2016 and 2017 are quite painful to watch and it's easy to see he's become a caricature of himself.

At the time this win was out of nowhere, and as Postman Dave said, Ziggler was a bizarre choice if they weren’t going to do anything with him. All it served to do was help set up the Miz match at No Mercy – not really a great match for a Summerslam championship match. Though looking back there’s been a few odd matches like that, Great Khali vs Triple H comes to mind. Not only that, but because Ziggler didn’t contribute anything to the match, it didn’t feel like he earned his spot in the main event of Summerslam. Based on how the match was structured, Baron Corbin of all people probably would have been a better choice because at least he dominated the match.

**1/2

Tomorrow, Ziggler actually steals the show for once in this ladder match.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I can’t believe people were trying to give Ziggler the benefit that he was doing good work during this build. I never saw it until after.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Ziggler vs Harper time
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Day 16:

WWE Intercontinental Championship: Luke Harper (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE Tables Ladders & Chairs & Stairs 2014

After the memorable win at Survivor Series 2014, Ziggler was right into the Intercontinental Title picture once again. This match was exactly what you would from hearing about this match. It’s Harper beating the holy fuck out of Ziggler and Ziggler bouncing around like a pinball for Harper. Harper wrestles exactly like somebody who doesn’t have a clue what he’s going to do next except that he wants to hurt people. And I love that. I think the idea of a mindless monster who just wants to hurt people is so simple but it works so well in wrestling.

In WWE history, I don’t think there’s been a ladder match that’s as brutal as this. Every spot, even the seemingly smaller ones, look and feel painful. Not only that but every spot makes sense as well and nothing comes across as contrived. The highlight spot comes early into the match with Harper doing a suicide dive and only catching a ladder for his troubles. It's an incredible spot that is one of my favourites in a ladder match. In my countdown for the best WWE matches of the decade, this match finished number 75 and I described this as a horror film with Ziggler featuring as the final girl. Ziggler’s desperation selling was much better than usual here because he felt like he was fighting for his life. Much like Christian vs Shelton Benjamin from 2009 there’s even a blood stoppage, but this time it doesn’t hurt the match because they improvise a lot better. I think the leniency on the blood stoppages certainly helped though.

Anyway, this match is brilliant, one of the best ladder matches of the last five years.

Despite this match stealing the show here, and the Survivor Series win the month before, this was really the last moment of relevance for Ziggler for nearly two years. He would be fired by the Authority shortly afterwards, rehired with little build up, and then was a victim of the horrendous 2015 Royal Rumble. Enjoy this for the last time when Ziggler felt like he might be a big star.

Maybe if Ziggler didn’t want to lose to Randy Orton so many times, he shouldn’t take such a great RKO ... different match instead.
    Last edited by Shock; 09-22-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Scumbag Role Model

Status

What a fantastic match. I thought for sure this was going to be Luke Harper’s coming out party.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

The Villian

Status

Just don't get why they teased this singles run for Harper where he proved on numerous occasions he had potenial to be one of the big stars for a brand only to put him back into a team with Rowan. Hope to see his run restart soon enough.

Say My Name

Status

Yeah this was one hell of a Ladder Match and one I regularly re-watch as I love it so much. Felt like they were really going to try and do something with Ziggler off the back of this and then as always they didn't.

Harper really is another example of someone who could have had a much bigger role to play in the last few years as a singles act. Hell if you'd have put him in place of Bray Wyatt the feuds would have been much, much better.
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

I believe the problem with Harper is that they saw him as Bray Wyatt sidekick while he is way more talented than he is.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Shame this is the only level of success that Harper had as a singles competitor. He is very talented
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Is this dead? Shame
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Apologies for the long delay, life has been hectic recently and this hasn't been a priority. Fingers crossed everything should be ok to finish this off.

-------------------------

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Day 17:

Intercontinental Championship: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Cesaro vs. Tyson Kidd – WWE SmackDown, 14th November 2014

We kick off the restart with a match that received loads of hype at the time. SmackDown was a bit of a non-issue at the time, and in preparation for this I watched all the non-wrestling segments. And the majority of it was just recaps from Raw, and the matches included such stellar bouts as Sin Cara vs Bray Wyatt, and Goldust and Stardust vs Adam Rose and The Bunny. So when we got something actually good it stands out. This match has elimination rules, and takes place just before Survivor Series, and also a couple of months before the Kidd and Cesaro team started up.

This is a frantic match with a load of great spots that showcases all three guys. As well as that, it’s a very creative match. Often triple threat matches will just be a series of singles matches, but here there is loads of spots incorporating all three men. It’s one of the more creative triple threat matches you’ll ever see. They don’t use the triple threat rules to abuse rest periods – everyone is involved in the match at all times.

Tyson Kidd was absolutely brilliant. I don’t think that’s a surprise to anyone. The best compliment I can give him as a wrestler is that he reminds me of Rey Mysterio in that he will always give you something worth watching. You need him to go 20 minutes with a midcarder? He’ll deliver. Need him to do a ten minute tag team sprint? He’ll deliver. Need him to get squashed in 2 minutes by a midcard wrestler? You better believe he’ll make that guy look like a star. I’ll go back to the creativity of the match here because I would hazard a guess that Kidd had a lot to do with putting this match together, given how good his matches as an agent have been this year. He’s clearly got an awesome mind for how to make an exciting match.

There are few things in wrestling better than watching Cesaro vs a smaller wrestler that can bounce off him. They manage to pack in so many great spots into this match it’s difficult to name my favourite. There’s just loads of awesome stuff that need to be seen to be appreciated. I love that this match perfectly plays to every wrestler's strengths.

What I like about this match is it actually makes sense that it is so good, even in kayfabe terms. Ziggler is going into the Survivor Series 2014 main event knowing his job is on the line. So this might be one of Ziggler’s last Intercontinental Championship defences, so he goes all out. Ziggler before the match cuts an awesome short promo that hypes the upcoming match, Survivor Series, his character, and his ability to survive. It reminds me of what potential he had back then. This is probably the last push where I felt he could seriously have made it to the top, though everything after Survivor Series squandered that.

This is a 20 minute hidden gem that shows off the best of all these three great athletes. But anyway, this match absolutely rules and you need to check it out if you haven’t. And even if you have, watch it again.

That was fun, let's see how Ziggler can do in another triple threat against two guys that definitely aren't Cesaro and Tyson Kidd.

THE MAN

Status

Oh god I remember this match, this was an excellent TV bout. Tyson Kidd was a great worker and does have a career full of hidden gems like this.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Sweet, 30 Days of Ziggles is back on track.

I remember this Ziggler/Cesaro/Kidd triple threat getting a lot of hype, and subsequently living up to it. A fantastic hidden gem of a match.
    THE POWER OF FLUFFY BOYS SHINE WITHIN YOU

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Daily Motion
    ERROR: If you can see this, then Dailymotion is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Day 18:

United States Championship: Baron Corbin (c) vs. Bobby Roode vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE Clash of Champions 2017

While the last triple threat match I reviewed had two guys I love, plus Ziggler when he was still fun to watch, this is a different story. Ziggler and Corbin are among my least favourite wrestlers in the WWE. They also feel like they wrestled one another for an eternity. Bobby Roode since coming to the main roster has been a failure and he’s been badly exposed as mediocre talent with a meme theme. Ziggler is going through his whole “I hate flashy entrances thing” with the record scratch that is just terrible.

Despite my negatives this match is actually good. In fact it’s shockingly good! It starts off with Ziggler and Roode teaming up to take out Baron Corbin. The match starts off a little slow and they do the standard triple threat tropes that annoy me, but towards the middle of the match it picks up a lot. You can tell that everyone is working hard and they pull out some creative spots. Ziggler’s Zigglerisms aren’t obnoxious and overblown here. What surprised me most was the Ziggler and Roode sections were a load of fun and had the crowd excited. Because I remember their singles matches after Roode debuted and they were boring and sucked. The finishing sequence was superb, and the finish itself was very cool.

There’s been other triple threat matches featuring Corbin that were really good too, they just seem to fit him well as opposed to singles matches where he sucks. Perhaps he would be suited to being a tag wrestler, though it doesn’t fit his lone wolf gimmick.

Still, this is a lot of fun, surprisingly good, and a perfect PPV opener. Just ignore the aftermath and what happened with Ziggler’s reign ...

***1/4

Tomorrow we’re finishing off our triple threat of triple threat matches and more Baron Corbin?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think I liked this at the time but I have absolutely no memory of the match.

And I agree with you suggest that Corbin be a tag wrestler. In matches where he isn't in the match constantly, he is more impressive and is able to show off that quick spurts of explosiveness much better. That's why his squashes in NXT were so good.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!

THE MAN

Status

Like MC Burning Hammer, I have no recollection of this match even though I know I watched it. I don't even remember Corbin being US Champion. You're right about Corbin being better suited to a big man in a tag team who can just rush in for a few minutes per match and hit his cool offensive moves.

I'm assuming the next update is the Corbin/Ziggler/AJ SD match that was really fucking good.

Status

That Ziggler vs. Cesaro vs. Kidd triple threat is absolutely one of my favorite triple threat or Smackdown matches. If there had been more story behind it, it would have been a real classic. Funny that you compare Kidd to Mysterio because this match reminds me a lot of Angle vs. Mysterio on Smackdown in September 2002, my favorite encounter between those two. Balls to the wall action. I guess in a way Cesaro is pretty similar to Angle as well. Good shout. I'm going to have to watch that ladder match with Ziggler and Harper now. I truly don't think I've ever seen it.

Hail To The King

Status

Love that Dolph vs. Roode vs. Corbin ending. Dolph still too this day is a awesome wrestler. Corbin gets alot of shit still a fan of his though. I hope you have the Rollins/Zigglar match Ironman on here

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Daily Motion

Day 19:

WWE Championship: AJ Styles (c) vs. Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE SmackDown, 27th December 2016

If you take a match that way overperformed and replace a mediocre wrestler like Bobby Roode with an incredible talent like AJ Styles, what do you get? You get this match.

The big difference between the two is this match isn’t slow from the beginning, it bursts right out of the gates. There’s a much better story to it too with a lot of focus on Corbin’s strengths. He spends most of the match beating the crap out of the other two, and watching Ziggler and AJ bouncing off him and bumping for him was pretty terrific. After they do the standard “take out the big guy using the announce table” spot, we get into some Ziggler and AJ sequences. It’s fantastic, worlds better than the August 2016 match I reviewed earlier in the thread. I thought this match was structured and paced perfectly as it never got boring and it always felt like there was something interesting happening no matter who was involved at any time.

There’s a few triple threat matches to compare this to. For those that don’t know, I’m usually not a huge fan of triple threat matches – they’re usually okay, but I think they struggle more than most match types to become great. I don’t think this was quite as good as the Kidd/Cesaro/Ziggler triple threat I reviewed but it’s a lot better than yesterday’s match too. It’s also a lot better than the AJ/Ambrose/Cena match from around this time as well. I think the only thing that stops it being as good as the Kidd and Cesaro match is that that match is extremely creative for a triple threat. It went above and beyond what you’d usually expect from a triple threat. But that’s not to criticise this one which was a lot better than most WWE triple threat matches, and a fine way to end AJ’s excellent 2016.

***3/4

Tomorrow:

10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ... 6 ... 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ... 1 .... EEGGGHGHHHGNNNN~!

THE MAN

Status

Oh dear, tomorrow could be a massacre of a review that I have to defend Ziggler on

Thread Information