Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

Brick Shithouse

Status

Re: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

Day 4:

Intercontinental Championship: The Miz (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE Backlash 2016

Ah the feud that helped revive the career of both men, albeit temporarily in the case of Dolph Ziggler.

The story of this match is all about respect. Miz felt slighted by a lack of respect from all parts of the WWE fans. How could a guy like Daniel Bryan, who now had his career seemingly ended by injuries, command more respect than the ten year veteran, Miz? Why was Dolph Ziggler lauded despite him being a constant failure, while Miz was the champion? It’s a great story and they play it off through the match.

The match starts off with Ziggler using his mat wrestling which unfortunately is something that he hasn’t used enough in his career considering he’s quite an accomplished wrestler. From there Miz starts to control the match. This was, to my knowledge, the first example of Miz using Bryan’s trademark moves, which is such an amazing dickhead move. They might even have been tempted to run the whole match with just that as the story but what I liked most about this match is the story kept building, with Ziggler’s leg being the target of Miz’s offence. I’m not a fan of Ziggler’s selling usually, but Ziggler sells the leg well, and Miz helps with his surprisingly excellent and vicious offence. Thanks to the outside appearance of Maryse, Ziggler comes up short in another big match which sets up the rematch for No Mercy.

This is an excellent match and off the top of my head would make the top 3 one-on-one matches of Ziggler’s career. I think these two have always had decent matches together, I remember them opening a Summerslam in a fun match. This was similar and structured like typical Ziggler matches with a lot of counters and false finishes. This is much the same but even better because of the added storytelling elements, which produced a surprisingly great match that would be one of my favourites from 2016.

Tomorrow, included on the list by popular demand. I hate you all.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Even though the story wouldn't have been as good I'd have honestly preferred Dolph losing so I didn't have to see him anymore. Plus, Miz boasting about ending his career could have been golden for a little while. However, the end result with this match was still fine and it was a hell of a good one that actually made me care about Dolph for 15 minutes. Of course they did their usual nothing to follow up on it so I immediately stopped caring again and haven't since.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Tomorrow, included on the list by popular demand. I hate you all.
    Aww yeah, my body is ready.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 5

Kiss Me Arse Match: Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus – WWE Extreme Rules 2015

After making his return the night after Wrestlemania 31, Sheamus came back to attack Daniel Bryan and Dolph Ziggler and announce that he was sick of all the underdogs getting all the love and attention. It’s a story they’ve tried a few times over the years (see also, Baron Corbin) but WWE never seem to stick to it for one reason or another. Nonetheless, there’s this match which I forget how they set up other than Sheamus made the challenge because reasons? Before I start I need some American input here. Why are WWE willing to say “arse” but not “ass”? Coming from the UK there’s little distinction between the two, and neither are seen as bad words (apart from the fact that nobody where I live uses the word ass because it just sounds stupid when we say it).

Anyway, as a match this wasn’t that bad. Ziggler starts off quite fiery, and Sheamus really lays in his strikes. It kind of hit a little bit of a lull in the middle as Sheamus took control, and I didn’t find it very interesting. I think a big part of that was the dead crowd, unsurprising given the stipulation, and Ziggler wasn’t generating much sympathy. Once Ziggler made his comeback the match (and crowd) picked up, and I loved his running forearms. Still its very same-y with Ziggler who by this point had his own formula and rarely diverted from it: Flop around – which works against a guy like Sheamus at least – hit explosive comeback moves, and near falls off them.

As a concept, this is horrible. Like one of those “wow, I sure hope no non-wrestling fan walks in while I’m watching this” sort of thing. It’s like they took the shitty Rock vs Billy Gunn match from Summerslam 1999 and thought “how can we make this even worse?”The post-match is fucking excruciating, it’s unbearably long and just goes on forever and ever. That wouldn’t be as bad if the stipulation was followed through. This accomplished absolutely nothing and is one of those rare cases where both men look terrible coming out of it. Sheamus looks shit because his monster-heel run where he starts crushing vanilla midgets is killed in its first match with the loss. Ziggler just looks stupid because despite winning he has to follow through (sort of – if by kissing his arse you mean his forehead sort of touches Sheamus’ upper thigh) with the stipulation. So as well as making neither man look good, they don’t follow through with the stipulation and their attempt to compensate for that was terrible. If you think that neither man will look good coming out of it, and if you aren’t willing to go through with the stipulation don’t book the fucking match. The best thing I can compare this to is the JBL vs Cena first blood match back in 2008 where JBL ate a blood capsule in the finish of the match. In theory this should lead to Sheamus getting his comeuppance at a later date to fix this mess, but they can’t even do that right. Just an absolute disaster in every sense.

If you want to see a stipulation like this done properly, watch Bret Hart vs Jerry Lawler or even Michael Cole vs Jerry Lawler from Over the Limit 2011.

**3/4

Bonus match later on, and I need a bit of therapy after this last review.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

Before I start I need some American input here. Why are WWE willing to say “arse” but not “ass”?
    I think it has more to do with the PG rating than anything else. Arse isn't really considered a bad word here but ass is, to a certain extent anyways. I'm sure Vince also thinks it sounds funnier than ass so that's probably another reason.

Anyhow, yeah, the match itself really isn't anything awful but the entire angle and booking just suck something fierce. The crazy part is that I basically expected them to book it exactly the way they did, which I guess means I can apply for a job in creative.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

YES! YES! YES!

Status
      Country                    England

I didn't get chance to speak on it yesterday, but yeah the Backlash match is great and the start of a fantastic feud between them. I know you don't rate the No Mercy match as high as I do, but I would only have the Backlash match as my third favourite of theres.

Isn't it 'kiss me arse' because Sheamus is Irish and that's the way the Irish would say it? That's actually based more in the 'me' rather than 'my'.

Brick Shithouse

Status

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scQtab3NjUA

Bonus Match

Dolph Ziggler vs. Sheamus – WWE Smackdown, 22nd June 2012

Let’s not let the last match distract you from the quality these two can produce. A few posts ago I said that these two were two of the first names that came to my head when I thought of the increase in in-ring quality around this time period. I think this match captures that well. Sheamus in particular was the best wrestler in WWE in 2012 by some distance, and Ziggler would have easily made the top 5 for the company. Here you have a 12 minute match on the B Show, which at this point was not very important at all, and they gave us a really fun match.

I think if people dislike Ziggler’s ping-pong selling I’d recommend watching this match. Because of the tremendous offence of Sheamus, it makes Ziggler’s bumping make a lot of sense. As you’d expect he takes a lot of big bumps for Sheamus, including a nasty looking throw into the barricade. What I love about this is that even though Ziggler isn’t known for his offence, especially compared to someone like Sheamus, he pulls out a lot of creative spots to try and stay on top of Sheamus. It’s the most surprising thing about this match is how much I liked Ziggler on offence.

This is a terrific little TV main event, that I think with a few more minutes could have hit greatness. I think that’s a common thing for both these guys to be honest. They have really good matches, more than I can care to count, but how many truly great singles matches have they each had in their runs? Not a lot for either considering how long they’ve been around. Definitely worth a watch to see the chemistry the two of them had, but suffers from the fact that they wrestled so much that the matches tended to blend in together.

***3/4

Tomorrow, another guy with a vendetta against vanilla midgets goes after Dolph.

[Your Name]

Status

The Sheamus/Dolph matches of 2012 felt alot like the Kofi/Dolph matches.of 2010/11. There were just so many of them they sorta blend into one in my head.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Haha you actually watched it. Yeah, zero point to that match.

Sheamus and Ziggler have worked together well before though and I’m glad you covered one of their matches.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

I guess I just didn't understand why Dolph is in these kinds of storylines. To me, I think of him the same as I do assembly line wrestlers like Ted DiBiase Jr., not the "vanilla midget" trope that they constantly shove Bryan & co. into. I had completely wiped that kiss me arse match from my memory, and don't feel particularly happy recalling it now. Definitely a crowd killer for both guys waiting to happen. If I were Dolph or Sheamus I would have fought like hell to veto all that as much as I could because it really doomed both of them. Good that they had a standout main event though on SD to try to make up for things though. I've yet to see anything in this thread to convince me he was worthy of his original hype at this point but there's still a long way to go.
    Angels in Flight~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 6:

Baron Corbin vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE Money in the Bank 2016

Why do I do this to myself?

This is one of the many, many, many main roster callups that would immediately kept shoved into a feud with Dolph Ziggler. Presumably because they see him as a solid hand, but thanks to some horrible booking and an increasingly de-motivated Ziggler, all it did was kill any momentum of them right away. We’ll see later in the countdown but does anyone come out of a first feud with Ziggler looking good for it? I don’t care for Corbin but you can’t shove someone in a two month feud with Ziggler and just trade victories.

Anyway, this is the Ziggler we’ve all come to know and hate. He’s in full on HBK cosplay at this point. His offence is really terrible (especially his strikes), and his idea of selling is non-existent here. I think, as well as his goofy as shit selling my biggest problem with Ziggler is that when it comes time to hit his moves it’s like all the opponent’s offence never happened. There's a way to make a comeback and there's a way not to, and I don't think Ziggler ever got that. After all his list of good matches as a babyface is significantly worse than his good matches as a heel.

For a twelve minute match this feels like an eternity. It’s a similar length to the Sheamus match yesterday (the SmackDown one) and that one flew by. Crowd gets disinterested when Corbin is on offence and gives them a well-deserved boring chant. Ziggler is still good at piecing together counter sequences, but when Corbin has to control the match he gets exposed very quickly as the dull wrestler that he is. When the crowd are silent he does these stupid screams that are just annoying. I genuinely don't think there's anything at this point that Corbin is good at, and making the match this long with Corbin in control for so long was terrible booking.

Awful match, not just because it’s these two and they are both terrible, but part of a larger problem which is that WWE did Corbin no favours. He got completely exposed here as a bland wrestler. If you compare WWE how they booked Corbin here to how they booked Braun in 2016: on one you had a guy running through fools left and right and not highlighting any weaknesses; the other was having extended PPV matches with a guy like Ziggler. Corbin’s biggest (only?) strength at this point was his cool finishers. So use that. But he can’t talk, he doesn’t look good, and he isn’t a good wrestler, so don’t expose those weaknesses and take it easy until he improves (like he has today).

*3/4

Tomorrow, a quick match that, when compared to this match, really show how much better Ziggler used to be.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 7

No Disqualification: Dolph Ziggler vs. The Great Khali – WWE The Bash 2009

I think people might think this is a random inclusion but there’s two reasons for it: first of all, it’s the start of any serious idea of a Dolph Ziggler push in WWE, having mostly been just a job guy up to this point. I mean, his whole thing to start with was literally him introducing himself with "Hi, I'm Dolph Ziggler". This is also his first singles PPV match. Secondly, I thought it was an interesting contrast with the previous match and to show the difference. Khali is by almost all accounts worse than Baron Corbin but this match is a lot more fun. I like to think of matches in terms of how good they potentially could be. I was looking for a list of 2009 matches and it would be easy to find a good TV match against any number of SmackDown guys in 2009, but what about against the worst wrestler on the SmackDown roster? This is a great example of them being booked in a match that is in a position to be a success, as opposed to yesterday's match.

In a five minute match I think this is as realistically good as a match like this could be considering the obvious limitations of one of the wrestlers. And it’s all because of Ziggler. Ziggler’s energy in this match is fantastic as he’s bouncing around like a pinball (and not in an obnoxious way) to make the match watchable. He takes an especially impressive fall to the outside from Khali. I love Ziggler’s offence here because every move feels like it makes sense. It’s all about him using every opening and his speed to stay on top of Khali. There’s even a couple of fairly innovative spots like Khali chopping the ring post (which he then goes to sell ... the wrong hand ... until he forgets about it).

It’s short, but it’s a lot of fun and one of the better matches in Khali’s career and a fine one-man performance by Dolph. A good highlight of a lot of the things that made him so much fun to watch. Great bumping, fun offence and an energetic performance.

**1/4

We've seen good Dolph against the worst guy on the roster, now let's watch modern Ziggler against the best guy on the roster.

MC Mitchy D

Status

I remember really enjoying this match for what it was but still not being completely sold on Ziggler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : I have a good friend that lives near Seattle. He says I should come visit sometime but that is like the exact opposite side of the country from me.
    [07:31 PM] Jon Snow
    : theyve got planes for that
    [07:31 PM] Stonewall Dakson
    : And those cost lots of money
    [07:32 PM] Jim
    : send yourself in a box without any holes with the USPS. Best case scenario, you get cheap traveling, worst case, you're gone forever
    [10:00 PM] Kairi HoHo
    : Jerk it in my honor Dak bye.
    [06:18 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Guys, I am going to see President Trump tomorrow.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : He's holding a rally in the town I live in. Gonna skip outta work and go.
    [06:19 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : Not the town I live in, the town I work in.
    [06:19 PM]RecyCocks
    : You should bring TGR with you
    [06:20 PM]Stonewall Dakson
    : If I was taking a long walk off a short pier I would gladly bring TGR with me.
    [11:40 PM]
    Kairi HoHo
    : Pretty sure I said I would go gay for Ryan Gosling just saying lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I'll be fine Daddy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairi HoHo View Post
    I mean it sounds hot to me. Some people work at Arby's and someone people just want to fuckmurder all night whatever floats your boat

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

There’s even a couple of fairly innovative spots like Khali chopping the ring post (which he then goes to sell ... the wrong hand ... until he forgets about it).
    Vintage Khali
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I’ve enjoyed Khali certainly more than Corbin.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

[Your Name]

Status

That was a decent little feud at the time, they made an effort to actually build up Dolph as someone smart which was a nice change of pace.

Don't wanna be "that guy", but I remember calling that move to Smackdown as a sleeper pick for SD at the time.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 8:

AJ Styles vs. Dolph Ziggler – WWE SmackDown, 23rd August 2016

It’s easy to shit on 2016 Dolph Ziggler when he’s facing Baron Corbin. This is a different matter. After losing his chance at the WWE Championship against Dean Ambrose at Summerslam, Ziggler takes on AJ Styles for the right to face Ambrose at Backlash.

Needless to say, this was significantly better than the Baron Corbin match. There’s some nice chain wrestling to start with before AJ takes over for the match and constantly out-wrestles Ziggler. I think I can start to see some issues with Ziggler that I’ve never noticed until paying close attention to his matches. His matches are technically very good, as in he rarely botches and a lot of the counters he can piece together in the match are excellent. But there’s no substance to his matches. Outside of the Payback match against Del Rio, there’s very few Ziggler matches that I can think of that have a really solid story to it. And that is what makes a lot of his matches feel very same-y.

This is a good match but I came out of it thinking that AJ was brilliant and Ziggler was just there for the ride. Let’s face it, AJ in 2016 was most people’s wrestler of the year, at least as far as WWE was concerned, so him having a good match isn’t a surprise. Ziggler did what Ziggler can do like piece together good near fall sequences but I just don’t think he’s a good babyface wrestler at all. I think its because, and I’ve said it before, but he sucks at selling for prolonged periods of time. This is one of his better matches as a face, but given his opponent it’s not a surprise at all. And I don't think there's anything that he really contributed to making the match better.

***1/4

Tomorrow, Money in the Bank!

Scumbag Role Model

Status

I loved this episode of Smackdown. I know this is a Dolph review thread but everything really jumped into high gear for Styles in the WWE after beating Cena. Him demanding the “Face that runs the place”, wearing the Cena headbands, etc were just great character choices. Him carrying Smackdown live as a heel main event will probably be peak AJ in WWE.

I thought people overpraised Ziggler’s work heading into his title match at Summerslam. The better stuff from him came after Summerslam.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I loved this episode of Smackdown. I know this is a Dolph review thread but everything really jumped into high gear for Styles in the WWE after beating Cena. Him demanding the “Face that runs the place”, wearing the Cena headbands, etc were just great character choices. Him carrying Smackdown live as a heel main event will probably be peak AJ in WWE.

I thought people overpraised Ziggler’s work heading into his title match at Summerslam. The better stuff from him came after Summerslam.
    I agree completely. AJ's run in 2016 on Smackdown was crazy good and the whole episode showed why it was such a fun show at that time.

It's also the episode of the Miz shoot on Talking Smack.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 9:

Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Christian vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Damien Sandow vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Santino Marella vs. Sin Cara vs. Tensai vs. Tyson Kidd – WWE Money in the Bank 2012

A bit of an odd line up to this one with the fairly random inclusions of Sin Cara and Tyson Kidd. In fairness however, Tyson Kidd – much like every time in his WWE career – made the most of the opportunity given to him and he came out of the match looking the best. And Sin Cara – much like every point in his WWE career – manages to fuck almost everything up. He’s not the only one as there’s a couple of really obvious botches in this match, and not even endearing botches that make the match more fun, but just messy spots.

I think this is one of the worse Money in the Bank ladder matches. The big spots aren’t that impressive, there’s no decent story to it, and there’s botches all over the place. The most impressive ladder spot of the whole match is Tyson Kidd hitting a sunset flip powerbomb while going from one ladder to another. It’s a cool spot, but the problem is its set up terribly. And there’s a couple of other guys also on a ladder, so there’s little attention brought to the spot. Compare it to a big Jeff Hardy spot in a multi-man ladder match for example, and you might notice that everything else in the match comes to a standstill so you know exactly where the audience’s focus is. Here it just ... isn’t. And that's the only real standout spot.

This is a weak field that mostly relied on Kidd, Ziggler and Sin Cara for the big bumps. And when one of those probably can’t get out of bed without hurting himself it doesn’t make for an ideal match. It’s also just a bland match. Santino had one comedy spot but that spot had already been done by R-Truth the year before so it didn’t stand out. Vicky interfered in the match in a spot that had already been done by Maryse a couple of years earlier. Its hard to have a bad Money in the Bank match, most of them are watchable, but damn did they try their hardest to make a bad one here.

Ziggler himself is quite good in this match and though he’s part of a couple of botches I don’t think he’s the reason for this match falling flat. His bumping all over the place is amazing. And amazingly for a ladder match, the best spot of the whole match doesn’t even involve a ladder at all as Tensai just launches him into the commentary chairs. Looking at the line-up there was really only one winner to this one, and it was the right choice for sure, even if I didn't care for the match.

**3/4

Tomorrow, a double dose of D-Bryan.

Rusev Day

Status

Agreed this is one of the weaker MITB matches.

Hope you’ll review a much better Ladder match Ziggler has on his resume against Luke Harper
    Twitter: @LukeGardener82 | Former BTB Overlord
    Order reviews WWE Pay Per Views

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Thread Information