Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Re: 30 Days of: Dolph Ziggler

I'm indifferent to Dolph and don't think I've checked out a match of his since that Miz feud, but I quite like that Leaping DDT spot and don't really see the issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

VIVE LA FRANCE

Status
      Country                    England

I'm not even sure what 'the internet' or 'internet fans' even means at this point. Who watches wrestling who isn't on the internet? and who is dumb enough to think the internet hivemind of millions of WWE fans worldwide all share the same opinions? I'm pretty sure there's a corner of the internet where Ziggler stans still hang out and loved his comeback.

What did it for Ziggler is he basically stopped improving as a performer in 2011 while the WWE roster evolved dramatically with the rise in independent stars raising the in-ring game, home grown stars from NXT being called up with fresh, hot gimmicks and womens wrestling taking up more airtime. He got overlapped and the fans got new favourites to get behind as the guy they wanted to see pushed like Bryan. How can you still be the showoff when most of the roster are out performing you? I can't believe someone who hangs around with Miz so much can't figure out how to change up his gimmick to stay relevant.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

The Match: Like the match. Fun TV match. Sami as a heel is fun to watch in the ring. After being a babyface for such a long period of his career, he is a pretty good heel and has the mannerisms down pat. Thought it was a fast paced match and pretty entertaining. The only thing I would say that I didn't like from the match was the match ending with a superkick that one, never pins anyone these days and two, looked like it missed by a big amount. Other then that, I liked it.

Like Fuji said, I feel like the main fanbase started to turn or not care around January 2015 where they just fired Ziggler (and others) and brought them back with very little fanfare. Since it's been downhill from then on.
    Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I legit thought Ziggler was once of the best wrestlers at the end of 2014. Things really spiraled after WM 31.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

Yeah early 2015 is when I gave up on Ziggler. The whole getting fired after the Survivor Series match and being a part of that horrible horrible ending of the 2015 Rumble killed any momentum he had. It feels like the fans stopped caring after that, and then so did he.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

قلبيlهذ

Status
      Country                    Egypt

Dolph's someone I've never been super into, although there's a few times I thought he hit a zone where it looked like he was about to capitalize on his potential. Him both in-ring and in promos have usually steered pretty average for me with turns to him becoming insufferable just stylistically in a lot of ways. Though even though I definitely was way off his train in 2014 even I have to admit booking was terrible for him when he did get some momentum to the majority of fans. And his bad gimmicks...I can't wait for his books or shoot interview to see who's idea some of his recent gimmicks have been and if he likes them or not because they totally suck but it may not be ALL his fault.

As for the match with Zayn, it was pretty fun but I find it hard to really not see Zayn as far superior in that match to Dolph in basically every way. If I'm going to give Dolph some credit he didn't drag the match down to derail it but there were a few annoyances here and there that were nits you can definitely pick and your review did a good job encompassing everything. I basically agree with your thoughts Shock without as much to add as I would like. Zayn was great.
    صفر يحب الحرير ~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

And check out my podcasts! Every week from the MLW Radio Network (Though I'm not affliated with Jim Cornette personally)

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Cagematch.net Boss STRIGGA)

Lucha Talk - Méxican Wrestling (w/LuchaWorld Boss Fredo Esparza & Spanish Translator MICROMANFEVER)

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Oh yes, particularly like how he came back strong from that with one of the worst gimmicks ever which led to instant fan indifference.

I've got news for you, the internet turned on Ziggler years ago because they realized he was never going to be the guy, or they finally noticed he's not that good or they just stopped caring. I'd argue the final straw for him came when they did nothing to capitalize on the huge momentum he had after Survivor Series 2014.
    Everyone hated him after the horrible Rusev feud and then loved him again during the Miz feud. When it comes to people liking Ziggler it is like that Snakes and Ladders board game. Up and down it goes.
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

[Rock Me Amadeus]

Status
      Country                    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    Yeah early 2015 is when I gave up on Ziggler. The whole getting fired after the Survivor Series match and being a part of that horrible horrible ending of the 2015 Rumble killed any momentum he had. It feels like the fans stopped caring after that, and then so did he.

My giving up point comes later in the year, but I'll touch on that later as I'm certain you're gonna review a match from that timeframe.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I'm off to London again, this time on two wheels. See here for more & to donate see below.

Tbh, I never understood why people used to go crazy over Ziggler.

Sky Blue Hyper Technican

Status
      Country                    Peru

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    He was very explosive, quick and bumped well. I can see why people liked Ziggler.
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfs Rain View Post
    Everyone hated him after the horrible Rusev feud and then loved him again during the Miz feud. When it comes to people liking Ziggler it is like that Snakes and Ladders board game. Up and down it goes.
    I do think people came back around on Ziggler for the Miz feud. Once that all fell to pieces I think anyone who had any hope of him being a top star saw the writing on the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think a large part of it was because he was a midcard act providing really good matches every week. Sort of like Shelton Benjamin (but better). WWE had a stale talent roster in the late 00s and all of a sudden Ziggler pops up and starts churning out energetic midcard matches left and right.

I think WWE turned the corner with the quality of their in-ring product between 2011-2013. My perception of that time (and it'll be interesting to see if that changes as this series goes on) is that when I think of the best wrestlers over those years my mind goes to Punk, Bryan, Ziggler and Sheamus for the consistency of their work.

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    He was very explosive, quick and bumped well. I can see why people liked Ziggler.
    Considering he modeled his bumping after Shawn Michaels and Mr. Perfect, I don't know if I'd exactly call Ziggler a good bumper. An over the top bumper, sure.

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 2:

United States Championship: Dolph Ziggler (c) vs. Zack Ryder – WWE TLC 2011

Ryder was truly a landmark wrestler. When you think of your Daniel Bryans, Rusev, Tye Dillinger, and all the others that have been far more popular than their push warranted. But I always like to think of it all starting with Zack Ryder, who took the initiative to get himself over through social media. You had fans chanting for him all the time, even during stuff like Rock promos. And in typical WWE style, what did they do when he got over without their permission? Well ...

Nonetheless, on this show they decided to give the fans a little something and this was the culmination in a pretty much seven month chase for the US Title for Ryder. It made the US Title, which at this point Ziggler was holding and mostly just trading it with Kofi Kingston with no real storylines surrounding them. But now finally somebody felt like they wanted the title.

Watching this match and the last match is absolutely startling and I can’t imagine anyone could watch this and a recent Ziggler match and say he is as good as ever and its just the booking holding him back. I love how everything he does in this match seems to mean something. Ziggler is in the height of his show off character with him adding little tweaks to his moves to fit his character. I loved how he used it because it allowed him to use dead space in the matches to make himself stand out. The wrestling itself in this match is quite good. Ryder is an average wrestler but timed his comebacks well, while the majority of the match was carried by some excellent work from Ziggler. In Ziggler style, there’s loads of counters and believable near falls down the stretch. Ziggler’s bumping style definitely lends itself to creating good near falls without relying on a finisher kickout.

This is a perfect opening match, an ideal midcard title match, and probably the highlight of Ryder’s career along with Wrestlemania 32. He's a likeable babyface like Bryan is because it's so clear that he is in love with what he does, so even I - not even a big fan of Ryder - can't help but smile when I watch this back. As for Ziggler, the WWE were beginning to show signs that they saw something in Ziggler. In the second half of the year he featured much more prominently on TV, had competitive (though losing) matches with guys like Cena, Punk and Orton, and even did double-duty on a couple of pay-per-views. The Show Off gimmick was a winner for Ziggler and this match showed that side of him perfectly.

P.S. there are few things that make me smile in wrestling quite like the pop when a manager gets ejected. Doesn’t matter how into the match the fans are, when a manager gets ejected they always pop huge. Vickie's reaction to getting ejected is fantastic.

***1/2

Tomorrow, Ziggler takes part in his first main event.

Rusev Day Smod

Status
      Country                    England

Ah man what a great match that was. If I'm not mistaken Ziggler's selling of the Rough Ryder is quite something in this match.

With you on managers getting ejected, it will forever get a pop. I remember thinking how bizarre it was that Vickie and Ziggler worked as a tandem as you just wouldn't put them together naturally at all. Vickie was hella good at what she did.

This was probably the year that I really felt they could do more with Ziggler in the future.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

That Kane gif never gets old. Never.

I figured this was the match you were hinting at yesterday and as I said earlier there's not really any negatives about Ziggler here. He was definitely at the top of his game and while I'd always disliked the guy this match was one that I remember making me think twice about it. I also really disliked Ryder during the entire YouTube stint but more because he was just a mediocre wrestler than anything else. Ziggler did enough in this match to make me fully invested in a Ryder win and I remember popping for it when it happened. Job well done Dolph, you're free of my hate for today.

Well, almost. I was looking up stupid Ziggler gifs to post in here and I found one where he was wearing that ridiculous "Stealing the show...and your girlfriend" shirt. I swear that's one of the stupidest shirts they've ever come up with. Who the hell would wear that?

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

I was so stoked for this when it happened and was equally bummed when it went the Kane gif route. But hey, at least we got the gif.

Spoiler:

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji
    Well, almost. I was looking up stupid Ziggler gifs to post in here and I found one where he was wearing that ridiculous "Stealing the show...and your girlfriend" shirt. I swear that's one of the stupidest shirts they've ever come up with. Who the hell would wear that?
    My cousin.
    -------
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    My cousin.
    Please tell me your cousin is a female and was wearing it in an attempt to create some sort of post-modern ironic humour.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Pixar Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Scumbag Role Model

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    Please tell me your cousin is a female and was wearing it in an attempt to create some sort of post-modern ironic humour.
    I wish.

I do have a lesbian cousin but she doesn’t watch wrestling.
    -------
    Spoiler:

Brick Shithouse

Status

Day 3:

D-Generation X vs. The Spirit Squad – WWE Vengeance 2006

Who’d have thought that when Ziggler debuted as Kerwin White’s caddy in late 2005 that in less than a year he’d be having his pay-per-view debut match in the main event against the reunited D-Generation X? Sounds impressive when you put it like that.

Unfortunately Ziggler, under the name of Nicky, was just one of the five members of the Spirit Squad, a group of male cheerleaders. And Nicky wasn’t even the main guy in the Spirit Squad. I don’t know what it was like on Wrestlingclique, but back in the day on my old forums it was unanimously believed that Kenny was going to be the star of the group. And the hipsters on the forum thought that Jonny might end up being a star too. Out of curiosity I decided to check out PPV buyrates and the D-X reunion was by far the most hyped part of the show. And Vengeance 2006 had the best buyrate of all the non big four PPVs. So clearly the Spirit Squad (and Nicky) was a draw!

In all seriousness, this match was a comedy squash (albeit one that lasted over 15 minutes), and while I don’t think it’s worth shelling out $50 for, I think it was exactly what the match needed to be. Jonny gets a bloody nose and then decides to get “serious” by putting on his karate bandana. That leads to a funny moment with Shawn Michaels being scared of the impressive karate stance of Jonny, causing him to tag out. The best comedy segments were all done by Jonny, with another highlight being his rendition of Terry Funk’s jelly leg selling. Anyway, Nicky finally gets in about half way through the match. He doesn’t really do too much, and he doesn’t stand out as much as Jonny or Mikey (who in particular was flying all over the place) here, but you can see the signs of the Dolph-isms in how he talks and screams during his matches. He does also take a trademark Ziggler bump to the outside as well. It’s a fun little look at his early career and you can definitely see some of the basis of the Ziggler we’ve all come to know and love. But he definitely didn’t stand out here, and I don't think anyone could have predicted his success based on this match alone.

Overall this match is a fine Raw main event to bring back D-X, but to sell a pay-per-view based on this match in an era when PPVs were so expensive is a bit silly. Nobody gave the Spirit Squad a hope in hell here. Hell, you could probably sell this in the Network era because £10 for the D-X reunion sounds reasonable. But what do I know, since it obviously shifted the buyrate back in 2006. But man am I glad for the Network era!

**1/2

Tomorrow, my favourite Ziggler match of the last few years.

Thread Information