Thread: Billy Mitchell's High Scores Removed From Twin Galaxies

Who Goes There?

Status
      Country                    United States

Billy Mitchell's High Scores Removed From Twin Galaxies

https://kotaku.com/twin-galaxies-rem...-mi-1825211232

Controversial arcade game player Billy Mitchell’s record scores have been removed from the Twin Galaxies leaderboards following a dispute earlier this year that many were performed using an arcade emulator. The ruling, which comes after a lengthy arbitration process, also bans Mitchell from further participation on the leaderboards, bringing an end to the King of Kong star’s high-score glory.

All of Mitchell’s records on Twin Galaxies, an organization that tracks video game records and high scores, have been scrubbed. These marks included a 1,062,800-point score for the 1981 arcade game Donkey Kong, as well as scores set between 2005 and 2007.

The news was announced in a statement earlier this morning noting that Mitchell’s scores would be removed in light of evidence provided by forum poster Jeremy “Xelnia” Young that Mitchell had used the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator (MAME) to record his scores instead of original arcade cabinets as was previously claimed.

Using an emulator is explicitly against the rules for Donkey Kong arcade scores, which require proof the player was using a legitimate arcade cabinet as well as show footage of the player using the cab during play. The recording must also show the cabinet settings have not been altered to give advantages, something which can be done easily with emulated gameplay.

“Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell’s scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards,” the staff said in a forum post.

Mitchell, who has maintained his scores are legitimate, has not yet commented on the removal of his records.
    Welp, first Tod Rogers, and now Billy Mitchell. Twin Galaxies looks to have a purge on their hands.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat.We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people... It is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ongoing Threads:

Grim's Other Threads:

#GRIMLOVE

WHO GOES THERE?
    THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

Meh

Status

Re: Billy Mitchell's High Scores Removed From Twin Galaxies

Mitchel is an asshole, anyway.
    My whims will become lightning bolts that raze the mounds of humanity

Who Goes There?

Status

My question is why does it matter if it's emulated or not? Only really asking because I find the whole speedrunning and high-scoring community ridiculous and stupid; not to mention I find Twin Galaxies to be a waste of space.
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in more than 30 cities. It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000 population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals. It is some 50 miles of concrete highway. We pay for a single fighter with a half million bushels of wheat.We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more than 8,000 people... It is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."
    - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ongoing Threads:

Grim's Other Threads:

#GRIMLOVE

WHO GOES THERE?
    THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD

Status
      Country                    Djibouti

Quote Originally Posted by Grim View Post
    My question is why does it matter if it's emulated or not? Only really asking because I find the whole speedrunning and high-scoring community ridiculous and stupid; not to mention I find Twin Galaxies to be a waste of space.
    Your article you posted explained why. Emulators are easy to modify to create subtle or not so subtle advantages for the player.

Curious why you find this sort of thing stupid, I think speedrunning is hella impressive.

Taptalmatic
    20 Years of Hype | The Best Superhero Movie Tournament

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Walked With Elias Before Anyone, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Meh

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Your article you posted explained why. Emulators are easy to modify to create subtle or not so subtle advantages for the player.

Curious why you find this sort of thing stupid, I think speedrunning is hella impressive.

Taptalmatic
    I can get not finding it entertaining, but thinking it's stupid is a bit much. Personally, I find video game records to be quite interesting.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

"All the best ATARI games can be enjoyed by a single player...Stevie likes to play alone, even if he has no idea what's happening..."I love the sound of fun!"

This is one of the most unintentionally sad things I've ever read.

Ask Fuji|2018 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Movies of 2017~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Meh

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    "All the best ATARI games can be enjoyed by a single player...Stevie likes to play alone, even if he has no idea what's happening..."I love the sound of fun!"

This is one of the most unintentionally sad things I've ever read.
    Truly. :P

If I recall, it was a fake / store made poster originally, and Stevie Wonder had no idea about it.

Now...in the UK, you had some really questionable and suggestive Genesis ads....

Thread Information