Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WCW: The Road To Competence

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

WCW: The Road To Competence

The Road To Competence

I hadn't been planning on doing a BTB of my own, but after seeing how good the entries from the likes of Stojy, iMac, BattleTank, EZ3, etc are I've been kind of inspired to give it a go myself. I used to do something like this about a decade ago, but haven't done anything since. Fingers crossed I'm not too rusty...

What is it?
    I'll be booking WCW from 1993, immediately following the firing of Bill Watts.

Why WCW?
    I've always had a bit of a soft spot for WCW. Even with their millions, and even when they were killing WWF in the ratings, they somehow still felt like the underdog. Maybe it was because they could never get out of their own way.

But as my personal fandom has waned over the last however many years, I've found myself looking back more fondly on WCW than anything WWF did. The nWo. The Cruiserweights. The Horsemen. War Games. Ric Flair's return promo in '98. The Dangerous Alliance. Flair/Steamboat/Funk in '89. The Fingerpoke of Doo... wait, scrap that last one. The chance to play around in that sandpit is too appealing.

Why 1993?
    1993 was such a fascinating time for the company. On one hand, they had a small amount of incredible talent in or around their peaks (Flair, Sting, Steamboat, Vader, Rude, Arn, etc), or with bright futures ahead of them (Austin, Foley, Pillman, Raven, Regal, Dustin Rhodes).

But they also had an insane level of dross. Erik Watts, I'm looking at you. And they couldn't have made worse decisions during this year if they'd have tried. I'm talking the mini-movies. Cheetum the Evil Midget. The Shockmaster (who they continued to push after he debuted by falling through a wall).

Good God. The opportunity to make the most of that roster and not make those mistakes is too much to turn down.

What's with the title?
    Well, it's about WCW. That bit is pretty straightforward. But the "Road to Competence" bit ties in to the format and the goal.

For the format, I'm going to liberally borrow from BigPapa and BattleTank. I find myself more drawn to their style of summarising what is happening rather than detailing every show. So I'll be doing "Road to PPV" entries, which will show how we got to the big event. Then I'll post the big event. It'll give you all the info you need without any of the detail. As an inherently lazy person, this suits me down to the ground.

The "competence" bit is really the crux of the issue for WCW. When they were good, they were great. I'd argue, occasionally better than any promotion has ever been. But when they were worse... good grief.

So my goal here is to consistently manage something WCW never could. I'm aiming for permanent competence. Because, if WCW could have avoided some of the most bafflingly stupid decisions ever made in the business, they might have actually been remembered for the good they did, rather than being a byword for WrestleCrap.

To do this, I'll be taking the elements that I thought made them good and focusing on those - great storytelling, strong heels, good characters, innovation, in-ring focus, and copious amounts of blood.

Will there be any rules?
    Oh, there will be rules:

1) A balance of fantasy and reality: I'll try to lean in to reality as much as possible. If Hogan joins, he's not spending the year jobbing to Brian Pillman and Steven Regal, no matter how much I'd have enjoyed seeing that. It also means I'll be following real-life events as much as possible (injuries, arrests, deaths, etc), but without being able to plan for them. That means Sid is going to get a push right up until he stabs Arn Anderson with a pair of scissors. There was no way anyone could have predicted that ahead of time.

That said, I will get liberal with reality every now and again, for the sake of entertainment. In real life, Hogan is joining with creative control and forcing all his talentless friends to join as well. But that won't happen to me. I mean, no-one wants to read about me trying to forge an entertaining spectacle out of Hogan vs. Brutus "The Zodiac Booty Barber Disciple With No Face Or Name" Beefcake at God damn Starrcade 1994. I'd sooner spend my time writing something that someone might actually find, you know, good.

2) Incoming talent: With the above in mind, I'll only bring in those who were actually hired by WCW, and only at the time they were brought in. So no Bret Hart prior to December 1997, and no Undertaker or The Rock, full stop. I'm under no obligation to hire anyone just because they did in real-life, though. So no Dungeon of Doom for me.

3) Outgoing talent:
    This is a little tougher. And breaks in to another three sections:

• If someone quits, or it would have been hard to keep them, then they'll go. I'm thinking Kevin Nash, or Triple H, or Big Show. If McMahon really wanted them they would have been impossible to keep. This ties in to the realism point above.
    • On the other hand, guys like Steve Austin or Mick Foley, who weren't ever Vince's type, and who only left because they were fired, will be up to me. Spoiler: I probably won't fire them.
    • The final type of outgoing talent are those who stayed at WCW IRL, but I don't want. Erik Watts, I'm looking at you again. I'm under no obligation to keep them.

And that's it! I hope it sounds like something you might find interesting, and please do give feedback where you think it's needed. I'll be back once I've written my Road to Slamboree 1993...
    Last edited by Keefmoon; 04-11-2018 at 05:02 AM.

Internet Favorite

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

Good idea this. I've been seeing some early 90s WCW in my random viewing thread so seeing what you do with this will be interesting to me.
    I have a plan so cunning......

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Excited for this. 1993 was a very intriguing time period in WCW, looking forward to see how you book it. Good luck.

WWF-1991 and Beyond- The Road to Survivor Series Begins!
    http://wrestlingclique.com/showthread.php?t=169069

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

Good luck - I'll be reading.

I just started my WWF 1993 BTB, and have a very similar thought process to you and methodology between deciding how people stay / go and straddle the line between reality (for example, Austin is under contract to WCW in 1993...not going to go anywhere near until he would have been released).

When in the year do you plan to start yours? I went from just before the royal rumble, so beginning of January 1993.

Main Eventer

Status

Subscribed. Going to be interesting.

Two things that I will immediately look out for are ones you mentioned.

Austin - If you are looking to keep him then I expect with realism he isn't going to be the hell-raising foul-mouthed brawler that he became in the WWF. Without the neck injury he got from Owen Hart he doesn't need to move away from being the great technician he was in WCW/early WWF.

Foley - I'm just really keen to see how you deal with Foley/Vader which was such a big feud in the coming months/years of this project.

Good luck with this I will definitely check it out.

Underdog

Status

Wow, thanks guys. Really nice to get that kind of support before we kick off. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Good idea this. I've been seeing some early 90s WCW in my random viewing thread so seeing what you do with this will be interesting to me.
    Thanks, I hope you enjoy! Your feedback is of course appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleTank View Post
    Excited for this. 1993 was a very intriguing time period in WCW, looking forward to see how you book it. Good luck.
    Thank you! It really is such an interesting time for them. Your WWF '91 BTB was a real source of inspiration for me on this so I hope you get a kick out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by epo View Post
    Good luck - I'll be reading.

I just started my WWF 1993 BTB, and have a very similar thought process to you and methodology between deciding how people stay / go and straddle the line between reality (for example, Austin is under contract to WCW in 1993...not going to go anywhere near until he would have been released).

When in the year do you plan to start yours? I went from just before the royal rumble, so beginning of January 1993.
    Sorry, should have been clearer on that. I'm starting after Superbrawl, with the initial build heading towards Slamboree in May 1993.

I have seen your BTB and have it on my list to check out. I'd just started on Wolf Beast's Being the Booker and have a lot of catching up to do on that, but am interested to get around to yours after, especially as we're doing such similar timeframes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykotic View Post
    Subscribed. Going to be interesting.

Two things that I will immediately look out for are ones you mentioned.

Austin - If you are looking to keep him then I expect with realism he isn't going to be the hell-raising foul-mouthed brawler that he became in the WWF. Without the neck injury he got from Owen Hart he doesn't need to move away from being the great technician he was in WCW/early WWF.

Foley - I'm just really keen to see how you deal with Foley/Vader which was such a big feud in the coming months/years of this project.

Good luck with this I will definitely check it out.
    Great, thank you for your support.

Austin and Foley are two guys who are so interesting to book in this. In some ways, their future career trajectory influences how you want to use them, but how they were in WCW vs. how they'd end up as multi-time World Champions in WWF are so completely different. As you'll see, I want something of a steady progression on both in the first few months, but especially Austin. But if I stick with this long enough to reach the late nineties, how do you not find some of that Stone Cold influence?!

Vader v. Cactus is one of the things WCW actually did right in 1993. Well, for the most part, anyway (I don't think anyone will be getting lost in Cleveland in this one...). So in cases like that, or with Vader in general this year, I'll want to use a lot of what they really did, but hopefully build on it.

Having written this show, and then planned for where I ultimately want to go, I probably will build this gradually. I think I'm a bit of a patient booker, and want to pay off some existing things before I really make my mark. Hope you all enjoy!

The Road To...

Episode One: The Road to Slamboree 1993

My tenure as WCW booker gets off to a momentous start as we crown a new NWA Heavyweight champion on the UK tour, with Davey Boy Smith taking the belt from Barry Windham. Smith was new to the company at this point and nine months removed from headlining Summerslam 1992 at Wembley Stadium. Windham is a decent hand, but the European press coverage from Davey winning his first World Title far outstripped what Windham brought to the table. Coming in to Slamboree, Barry Windham gets his rematch, with the recently returned Ric Flair promising to be at ringside.

That isn't the only world title on the show. For reasons I couldn't even begin to understand, WCW had two World Champions. The NWA Title was something of the secondary one, mainly because the WCW World Title was held by the awesome Big Van Vader, bang in the middle of the streak that has led to people calling him the greatest big man of all time. He is managed by Harley Race, who also manages Paul Orndorff, and the three of them are coming to the end of a lengthy-but-awesome with Sting. During a Thundercage match at the start of the year (before I took on the job), Cactus Jack, a long-time enemy of Sting, turned babyface and saved him against the heels. At Slamboree, Sting and Jack will team up to end their rivalry with Vader and Orndorff in a Falls Count Anywhere match.

That's not the only tag match blowing off a feud at Slamboree. The champions, Ricky Steamboat and a young Shane Douglas, retained their belts against the Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman and Steve Austin) at the Clash of the Champions. At the PPV, the belts will be on the line inside a Steel Cage, and if the Blonds lose, they won't get another shot as long as Steamboat & Douglas are the champions.

Rick Rude, meanwhile, has just returned from injury after relinquishing his US Title at the end of last year. He brings with him his new valet Missy Hyatt, and returns looking for revenge from the new champion, Dustin Rhodes, only to find Arn Anderson stand up to him. Arn, ever the traditionalist, tells Rude that he lost the title because he couldn't defend it, and he'll have to earn his shot the right way. Needless to say, the Ravishing One doesn't agree.

So what of said US Champion? On an episode of WCW Saturday Night, Dustin Rhodes retained his title against Scotty Flamingo. Scotty, an egotistical member of the Diamond Mine (along with Diamond Dallas Page, Vinnie Vegas and Diamond Doll) becomes obsessed with getting a rematch. After weeks of whining, Dustin finally relents, allowing Scotty a non-title match at a later edition of the TV show. If he can win, he'll get a rematch for the belt at Slamboree. Flamingo is able to beat Dustin by count-out when Vinnie Vegas interferes, giving Scotty the shot he barely deserves at the big show.

Also at the big show will be the debut of a new star. WCW have so far been tight-lipped about who the mystery man will be, but we do know he will face Erik Watts. Yeah, somehow Erik Watts made it on to my first PPV. I'm as shocked as you are.

And finally, the last couple of months have seen a tournament to crown a new TV Champion. In the Quarter Finals. Bobby Eaton beat Marcus Alexander Bagwell, Chris Benoit beat Tom Zenk, 2 Cold Scorpio overcame Maxx Payne, and Johnny B Badd bested Steve Regal. Regal was so humiliated with his loss that he cost Badd his Semi Final match with Chris Benoit in the Semi Finals, necessitating a match between them at the PPV. Meanwhile, 2 Cold Scorpio beat Bobby Eaton in the other Semi Final, leaving Chris Benoit and Scorpio to compete for the belt in the tournament final at Slamboree.

And with that, you're all caught up. Next stop: Slamboree '93!

Slamboree 1993 card

· Mystery Debutant vs. Erik Watts
    · Lord Steven Regal vs. Johnny B Badd
    · WCW Television Championship Tournament Final: Chris Benoit vs. 2 Cold Scorpio
    · WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Scotty Flamingo vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)
    · Rick Rude vs. Arn Anderson
    · Steel Cage Match for the WCW Tag Team Championships: Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (c)
    · NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Barry Windham vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)
    · Falls Count Anywhere Tornado Tag Team Match: Paul Orndorff & WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack & Sting

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Firstly, good luck with this. Really happy to see you starting a thread here. Based off of your feedback, I expect good things. I've left some brief thoughts and predictions below:

Slamboree 1993 card predictions

· Mystery Debutant vs. Erik Watts
    No clue who the mystery debutant is but I assume that they will be going over Erik Watts. Maybe The Ultimate Warrior? You seem like you really enjoy Erik Watts based off of your opening post haha.

· Lord Steven Regal vs. Johnny B Badd
    Have Regal go over because he is amazing

· WCW Television Championship Tournament Final: Chris Benoit vs. 2 Cold Scorpio
    As much as I love Scorpio, can't help but be influenced by how great Benoit is, so I think he wins here. LOVED the idea of this tournament for the TV Title as well, showcasing WCW had for a long time, a terrific mid card. Allowing guys like Benoit, Badd and Regal to get lengthy TV matches in every week is just a smart move. This tournament has been a success and regardless of who wins here, your mid card is in great shape. I think the biggest opportunity here to make the angles/wrestlers in the mid card to really feel like they mean something after this PPV.

· WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Scotty Flamingo vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)
    Pretty standard build to this one, nothing to write home about which makes me believe the champion retains. I always thought Dustin had all the potential in the world back during this time, so I look forward to seeing how you book him as champion. Scotty Flamingo does nothing for him because he's not Raven, but that could just be my ECW bias kicking in.

· Rick Rude vs. Arn Anderson
    Both these men are awesome and this is one I feel like maybe you're shot gunning a little quickly. I understand that Rude has just returned and you want to give him a big PPV rub (assuming he's winning), however the build between these two could have been so much fun. Almost hoping it won't just be a one and done match to see further development between the two, but I think this is just a pit stop for Rude until he meets Rhodes. I fully expect you to put over Missy Hyatt here to as this is a new, budding partnership.

· Steel Cage Match for the WCW Tag Team Championships: Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (c)
    Predicting with my heart here although it wouldn't surprise me if you wanted to break up The Blonds pretty quickly. Steamboat/Douglas just feels like a strange pairing for me, so I don't like them as the champs to much. Not a lot of info regarding the existing feud so I say champs retain and move onto new challengers.

· NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Barry Windham vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)
    With Flair at ringside, I just assume he's going to do something Horsemen like and get Windham the win. DBS chasing Flair and Windham could be a lot of fun as well. One thing I do think you need to do pronto is merge these two championships, I hate the idea of two World Titles, and this one feels second rate anyway, not even getting the main event slot when the other title isn't being defended.

· Falls Count Anywhere Tornado Tag Team Match: Paul Orndorff & WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack & Sting
    Whilst I don't think it's a great omen for it's life expectancy that the NWA Title does not get the main event slow, this NEEDS to be the main event. Big time angle coming to an end, and I'm hoping the faces get up to potentially get one last shot at the gold. Barracking crazily for Cactus Jack as well.

Also hoping in the future, when you get further into your own angles, we get some more detail in the monthly recaps. I appreciate that just starting off, there isn't a lot of 'deep' angles currently happening, but as that changes, I expect a little more meat to these things. It will just make it a little more easier for the reader or at least myself to remain engaged.

Looking forward to the first show anyway, off to a promising start.

Main Eventer

Status

Slamboree Predictions

Sting & Cactus Jack - Faces need to win to push for Vader's next challenger.

Davey Boy retains - I think it's more likely Flair will take the title away from Davey Boy before a Starrcade showdown later in the year between Flair/Sting.

Rick Rude & Dustin Rhodes - These two are on a collision course over the US Title so I expect both to win their matches before a battle of the US Champions begins.

Hollywood Blonds - Too early for these two to break up. I hope they get another five/six months before the cracks start appearing.

Chris Benoit - Kudos for keeping him around. Can't see a better fit for TV champ than Benoit. Good matches guaranteed.

Regal - I think Regal/Benoit could be a decent future feud over the TV title although this match is one of the hardest to predict.

Mystery Man - Like I said in a rep comment I think it will be Sid Vicious and I expect a resounding victory.

As Stojy said a bit more detail in future would be handy but good luck with this. Going to be interesting to say the least.

Internet Favorite

Status

I know 93 would be too early to bring Goldberg in but he got cut first time in what 94? So could be an outside bet haha, but Sid does seem to be the obvious choice.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Backyarder

Status

Well blow me down. keefmoon!

You may not remember, but you gave me some good advice and helped me a good bit back on the Grey Dog Forums some years ago. Like you, I've been toying with getting back in to the diary/dynasty writing game for a while and joined here a few months ago but am waiting for the right time to get back on the horse. I've not been too active here yet, as I'm a little behind on real world WWE watching so need to catch up before posting in the WWE threads and will take some time to check out some BTB's as well once I'm ready, and yours will definitely be one of them. This forum, from what I have made out so far, is full of very helpful and friendly people, and if this is anything like on a par with your From Montreal to Attitude diary on GDF then this will be very well received without doubt.

Great to see you active again, was a big loss when you disappeared from GDF. So, welcome here and I look forward to what you do with this

I didn't hear no bell!!

Status
      Country                    Ireland

From what I gather, you’re obviously not new to this stuff, so there’s already some expectations building. It’s a unique time period to be booking too, so I can envisage this thread drawing plenty of attention around here.

Mystery Debutant vs. Erik Watts - Was Jake Roberts around WCW at this time? Whoever it is, they’ll be disposing of Watts with relative ease.

· Lord Steven Regal vs. Johnny B Badd - I can see Badd pulling off another upset to further piss Regal off.

· WCW Television Championship Tournament Final: Chris Benoit vs. 2 Cold Scorpio - The unlimited potential of Benoit makes him the popular pick imo. Could be a great way to build him up for the future with a TV Title run.

· WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Scotty Flamingo vs. Dustin Rhodes (c) - Dustin should overcome the odds here. May even find back up to combat DDP and Vegas.

· Rick Rude vs. Arn Anderson - Hopefully you’ve got main event plans for Rude. I have faint memories of WCW Worldwide airing here around 92/93/94 and remember despising Rude. Such a terrific heel, and as it’s his big return, he should be winning here.

· Steel Cage Match for the WCW Tag Team Championships: Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (c) - The stipulation makes me think the champs retain and the Blondes go their separate ways with no title shot in their future.

· NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Barry Windham vs. Davey Boy Smith (c) - Brilliant decision to put the belt on Davey, and as you mentioned, the press that would get would be massive. Feels like a straight forward win, and possibly a post match angle with Flair. Given your comments about the two world titles, I suspect the belts will be unified sooner rather than later.

· Falls Count Anywhere Tornado Tag Team Match: Paul Orndorff & WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader vs. Cactus Jack & Sting - Going to go for the feel good win for Sting & Cactus. Gives Sting the big win to end the Vader feud, without Vader dropping the belt. Maybe even Orndorff takes the pin.

Underdog

Status

Thanks all for the thorough and thoughtful feedback and predictions. This really is such a supportive and welcoming place.

Couple of quick points before we dig in - the lack of detail and me having done this before:

1) I did indeed do something like this, but over ten years ago and when I had a lot more time and energy for these things! I'll almost certainly be rusty, so please do be patient as I get back in to the groove...
    2) This is a little light on detail at the moment, I agree. Ultimately I think there will be a little more detail as time moves on and we get more in to my own angles, rather than paying off existing ones. I have plans to take us through to Starrcade, and I do tend to focus more on long-term booking than the immediate.

I still want to keep it quite tight and not become a burden to read, but equally, once things move in the direction I want them to go in, I probably will start to elaborate a little more. All of your feedback on this as we progress would be hugely appreciated.

Episode Two: Slamboree 1993

Lord Steven Regal w/Sir William vs. Johnny B Badd
    Regal's loss to Badd on Saturday Night necessitated his change of attitude, from plucky British scrapper to wannabe royal family member. He dominated the match against his flamboyant opponent, and yet it was Johnny B Badd who picked up the win in just under ten minutes with a TKO. Regal’s chance in the spotlight may have to wait a little longer.

Sid Vicious vs. Erik Watts
    There's your mystery man. Sid destroyed Erik as if he wasn't there. Unfortunately for us, he was there. Hopefully he won't be for much longer. Sid picks up the win in ninety-seconds, in the most one-sided contest since Erik Watts vs. Gravity when he tried the infamous dropkick.

WCW Television Championship Tournament Final: Chris Benoit vs. 2 Cold Scorpio
    Here's one for the purists. Benoit may be new and may supposed to be a heel, but the fans appreciate a good worker, and he's certainly that. Scorpio, though, will always have the fans' support, especially with his jaw-dropping 450 Splash finisher. As the end of the match nears he climbs to the top rope and looks for the 450, only for Benoit to roll out of the way at the last minute. With Scorpio dazed, Benoit hits a Bridging German Suplex for the win and the TV Title after fourteen minutes of innovative action.

Rick Rude w/Missy Hyatt vs. Arn Anderson
    You know that previous match? This was nothing like that. Where the TV Title match had high-flying, this had psychology and deliberate pacing. Rude gradually wore the Enforcer down with a series of neck-related submissions, but a missed Rude Awakening attempt sees Arn surprise Rude with a roll-up, stealing the victory after twelve minutes. Needless to say, Rude isn't impressed with being shown up in his big return match, and takes the opportunity to lay the Enforcer out after the bell.

Steel Cage Match for the WCW Tag Team Championships: Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin) vs. Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (c)
    This was nothing short of a war. You like blood? Then this is the match for you. The Blonds had planned ahead and brought handcuffs to the match, allowing them to restrain Douglas on the cage while they methodically picked Steamboat apart. Of course, Douglas eventually managed to escape the cuffs, but despite running rampant on the duplicitous challengers, and even with an awe-inspiring crossbody from Steamboat off the top of the cage, the Blonds managed to steal the win and the belts after nearly twenty minutes of classic tag team action.

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship: Scotty Flamingo w/the Diamond Mine vs. Dustin Rhodes (c)

How Flamingo wormed his way in to a US Title shot the fans will never know, but Dustin didn't stop to worry about it. Instead, the future Goldust beat the future Raven all around the ring, punishing him for cheating his way in to this title match. Scotty managed to stay in the match, mostly thanks to the constant interference from Diamond Dallas Page and Vinnie Vegas, but nevertheless Dustin battled through the odds and picked up the win in ten minutes.

NWA World Heavyweight Championship: Barry Windham vs. Davey Boy Smith (c)
    There wasn't much in the way of scientific wrestling in this one as Windham and Smith brawled for the (second) most prestigious belt in the World (Championship Wrestling). Unlike in the initial match between the pair, Davey didn't have the overwhelming support of his home country fans, and as such had to dig in even further in to his own reserves to extend his first World Title run. Windham dominated much of the proceedings, but Davey showed enough heart to stay in the contest, and after twelve minutes managed to put away the former champion with a Running Powerslam to retain the belt.

After the match, Ric Flair made his way down to the ring to congratulate Davey on the win, and to challenge him to put his NWA Title on the line at the forthcoming Clash of the Champions XXIII. Before Smith could give his answer, Windham jumped Flair from behind, forcing Davey Boy to save one potential challenger from another.

Falls Count Anywhere Tornado Tag Team Match: Paul Orndorff & WCW World Heavyweight Champion Big Van Vader w/Harley Race vs. Cactus Jack & Sting
    And so, after months and months of brutal battles, this chapter of the rivalry between these four gladiators comes to a close. It's nothing short of brutal, with Vader and Jack's propensity for violence dragging the worst intentions out of their respective partners. Vader was at his dominating worst, but if anyone can survive a Vader onslaught, it's Cactus Jack. His resilience keeps he and Sting in the match for longer than seems possible, and that allowed them to show surprising teamwork in keeping the big man down, leaving them to pick off Orndorff, culminating in a Scorpion Death Drop on the outside, followed by a devastating Cactus elbow. The good guys finally pick up their long-awaited victory after seventeen minutes of pure carnage.

Up next: The Road to Clash of the Champions XXIII, and we lay the groundwork for the rest of the year...

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Show looked pretty good Keefy. I know nada about the real life goings on at this time, so apologies if I'm missing somethings in these comments.

The two world titles is an interesting situation to be in. Davey Boy being NWA Champion and having Flair and Windham after him makes sense given how those two have been associated with that title in the past. But is there some kind of unification match in the future? Be interesting to see how you handle this as obviously the NWA title can't just disappear. But Davey/Vader would be a helluva match in the future if that's the route you go down. I thought the booking of everything made sense, with perhaps the only surprise result being Anderson beating Rude, although you quickly rectified that with Rude getting his heat back in the beatdown. Can only assume a rematch is in the near future for these two. 'Double A' being a big deal as a singles guy would be something fun to read, I only really know him as a Four Horsemen member so be interested to see where you could go with him. A series of stiff matches with Benoit would be beastly and give the newcomer a great rub.

Overall, a fun update. Everything seems to be very logical at the minute, Flair/Davey Boy will be something very different and you have to assume Sting/Vader is coming soon too. Should be fun to read!

Status

Would you be the same keefmoon who did the WWF project from Montreal to Attitude? If so, most warm welcomes!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Regal/Badd as an opener makes pretty good sense, as WCW’s mid carders could usually put on a pretty damn good match to get the crowd pumping. As much as I love Regal, Badd was actually okay at this point in time, so I’m content with him getting the victory. Not much else to say but I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with Badd, and Regal’s further progression into royalty should be a fun read over the coming months.

I mark out for the appearance of Sid and more than happy to see Watts get squashed. Really interested to see how you have Sid further establish himself here.

Benoit/Scorpio getting 14 minutes is something I’m happy to watch any day of the week. Just continue to book these guys against each other and I’ll be happy. As I mentioned in my predictions, Benoit as the TV Champ is a smart move, ensuring we’ll always have damn good matches with the belt on the line. Again, I hate to be to repetitive, but seeming as both guys aren’t really in angles at the moment, I look forward to seeing what their characters move into in future updates.

Colour me smiling regarding the Rude/Anderson result. I felt with the build up that this feud still had plenty to offer, and judging by the way Anderson got the victory and the attack afterwards, this will continue. As far as I’m concerned, this is exactly what was necessary and I look forward to seeing this feud heat up in the coming months.

Tag title steel cage match realistically was probably always going to be match of the night, and it sounds as if it delivered. Blood, handcuffs spot, the big baby face come back, all sounds good. One thing I didn’t like here is that you didn’t actually explain how the Blonds won the match in your match recap. The previous recaps were all fine because they at least explained how the match ended. I hate not knowing exactly what went down in the end. The Hollywood Blonds are a great team to run the tag division though so no issues at all with the result.

US Title feud always felt like filler, even in the build up, so probably would have judged a little harshly if Rhodes didn’t win. The right booking decision was made here and hopefully Rhodes and move onto something a little more prominent. Similar to my issues with the last match write up, I’ve no idea how the match ended here as well.

Windham/Smith seemed solid enough and this was a nice title defence for Smith. Glad you kept it to 12 minutes as I think these two may have struggled to put on a longer, entertaining match. The aftermath is the big thing here with Flair challenging Smith, but Windham attacking him. I was clearly wrong with my predictions but look forward to see how this advances from here. Outside of Sid, this is probably what I’m most looking forward to reading after this show.

Main event would have been glorious chaos. Smart decision to not have Vader take the fall but to have the faces pick up the win as this rivalry comes to an end. I’m assuming the person who scored the pinfall doesn’t actually matter considering you didn’t tell us who scored the winning pin? I thought maybe the pinfall holder would get another title shot against Vader. Anyway, this would have definitely been a sensational main event to end the night.

To be honest, things still feel a little early to give you any actual feedback regarding current angles/booking decisions. The only issue I had was the couple of matches where I didn’t get info into how they actually ended. Outside of that, with the Sid appearance, new tag and TV champs, and Flair/Smith/Windham stuff, this PPV looks to have set the foundations for this thread moving forward… And that is all this needed to do. Good job, I look forward to watching this progress.

I didn't hear no bell!!

Status

I never quite appreciated just how bad Erik Watts was. My goodness. I can see why you’ve not displayed much appreciation toward him thus far, lol. If anything, letting him survive 90 seconds with Sid was being kind. I’d expect Sid to quickly move up to a main event HOSS feud with Vader now that Vader is likely moving away from the Sting feud. Could be something completely different for Vader too, facing someone that could conceivably be a physical threat to him.

Envisioning the TV Title becoming an earlier version of what the Cruiserweight title would later become for WCW, as a workhorse belt, with those TV title matches stealing the show every month, whilst not just limiting the division to the smaller guys. Very excited to see what becomes of this title reign for Benoit.

Rude vs. Anderson in an extended feud should be great. Anderson winning was a nice surprise, as I’d expected Rude to get off to winning ways on his return. Arn getting an extended run with Rude gets a thumbs up from this reader.

The Blondes looked really clever and savage in winning back the tag titles the way they did, and you showcased Dustin as a resolute champion by fighting off the odds of Scotty and the Diamond Mine. I’d imagine Rhodes will move on to a new challenger off the back of this retention, and I’d expect someone that carries a lot more threat to be coming for him. Could be a good spot for Orndorff perhaps??

Looks like Flair might have to wait for his shot at Davey, as you’ve set up a likely Windham/Flair program to welcome the Nature Boy back here. Fine by me. Davey vs. Flair feels like a fresh money match, and by holding off on pulling the trigger on it, you’ll only add to the anticipation.

Thought the booking of the main event was fine. Sting gets to get the last word against Vader, whilst keeping the title on the big man, and saving him from taking the fall too. Interested now to see what direction you take both men in as you lock in your own plans moving forward.

Underdog

Status

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated!

iMac - glad you're reading, even if you aren't hugely familiar with the era. I've never been a fan of two World Champions (one will always become secondary, which defeats the object of being a "World" champion) and that will be addressed eventually. I hope the way we get there is the most interesting way to do that.

BigPapa - Ha! 'Tis indeed I. Glad to see a few familiar faces around here. I found this website when I stumbled across one of your old pieces, so hope you stick with this.

Stojy - thanks to for thorough feedback. Looks like we have similar ideas for a lot of areas of the roster. It's probably worth saying that not every feud I hint at will actually happen, as I always love when a wrestler has a plan and gets derailed by something else. So some of what you've suggested is the case, some not... I most appreciate the feedback on not being clear on finishes, though. I'll work on that for the future. Thank you.

Wolf Beast - Thanks for being so thorough with your feedback. This was a necessary show in some ways, as it paid off some old bits and laid foundations for the future. From here, things will gather momentum to where I want them to be, particularly in the main event of the Clash. Speaking of which...

Episode Three
    : The Road to Clash of the Champions XXIII

With Barry Windham having lost his rematch against the NWA Champion Davey Boy Smith, a new #1 Contender for the NWA Title is needed. A 15 man over-the-top-rope (yeah, over-the-top-rope=DQ was pretty much the first rule I abolished) Battle Royal is made for Clash of the Champions XXIII in June, with the winner going to Beach Blast to face the NWA Champion. The battle royal will feature the biggest 15 names in WCW, including Sting, Ricky Steamboat, Rick Rude, the United States Champion Dustin Rhodes, Paul Orndorff, former World Champion Ron Simmons, and for his first match back in WCW in over two years, Ric Flair!

Flair, of course, was hoping to have his shot at the NWA Title at this very event, until Barry Windham attacked him from behind at Slamboree. Windham explains the attack as resenting Flair for coming back, not having any matches, then expecting to jump the queue for a title shot. He says that he once looked up to Flair as a member of the Horsemen, but now he has outgrown him and deserves better.

Flair's response? That of course he deserves to jump the queue, because he's Ric freakin' Flair. He tells Windham that he isn't even on his radar. The only thing on that radar is the NWA Title, and he says that, after he wins the Battle Royal, it's a matter of time before the gold is back around his waist.

But what of the NWA Champion himself? To keep him warmed up for Beach Blast, Davey Boy will face the Barbarian in a non-title match. But should Barbarian win, he'll be given a title shot on an episode of WCW Saturday Night.

Meanwhile, it turns out that Cactus Jack was as surprised as anyone at how well he and Sting worked together at Slamboree, when they overcame Paul Orndorff and the almost-unbeatable WCW Champion Big Van Vader. Jack suggests to Sting that they should form a permanent team and go after the Hollywood Blonds and the Tag Team Titles. Sting thanks Jack for all his help, but he still doesn't trust him, and now their issues with Vader and Orndorff are in the past, so too is their alliance.

Sting's commitment to going it alone is put to the test on an episode of WCW Saturday Night when he faces Brian Pillman. The Flyin' One is disqualified when Austin interferes, and the Tag Champions beat him down. Once again, Jack offers to team with Sting against the Blonds, but again Sting turns him down. For the time being, Sting stands alone.

One man still with an issue with the new Tag Team Champions is Ricky Steamboat. After losing the belts at Slamboree, his partner Shane Douglas is looking to branch out on his own. Steamboat convinces him to stick with it for a little while longer, so they can at least try to get the belts back. Douglas reluctantly agrees that the titles are worth fighting for, but only after they've both entered the Battle Royal at the Clash. After all, Douglas says, he needs to be a champion, one way or another.

And finally, the TV Title situation is really heating up. The champion Chris Benoit has plenty on his plate, with Scotty Flamingo and his bodyguard Vinnie Vegas looking for the gold, along with Lord Steven Regal, Brad Armstrong, Marcus Alexander Bagwell, and of course, 2 Cold Scorpio. For now, though, he needs to concentrate on getting past Tom Zenk.

And with that, up next... the Clash!

Clash of the Champions XXIII Prediction Contest

Bobby Eaton vs. Paul Roma

Vinnie Vegas, Lord Steven Regal & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Brad Armstrong

WCW TV Title
    Chris Benoit (c) vs. Tom Zenk

Non-Title
    Barbarian vs. NWA World Heavyweight Champion Davey Boy Smith

NWA World Heavyweight Title Number One Contender Battle Royal
    Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham vs. Brian Pillman vs. Cactus Jack vs. Dustin Rhodes vs. Johnny B Badd vs. Paul Orndorff vs. Ric Flair vs. Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ron Simmons vs. Shane Douglas vs. Sid Vicious vs. Steve Austin vs. Sting

Other Questions:

Will there be any surprising eliminations in the Battle Royal?

Will anyone survive longer than expected?

Will anyone be eliminated earlier than expected?

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Bobby Eaton
    vs. Paul Roma
    Taking a punt. Really no idea who will win and lack of build makes me not really care all that much about it.

Vinnie Vegas, Lord Steven Regal & Scotty Flamingo vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Brad Armstrong
    See above. Only reason choosing the heels is because they all seem to be chasing the TV Title, and will need the win to stay in contention.

WCW TV Title
    Time filler for Benoit well we wait for a real challenger to appear.

Non-Title
    Same as above really.

Arn Anderson vs. Barry Windham vs. Brian Pillman vs. Cactus Jack vs. Dustin Rhodes vs. Johnny B Badd vs. Paul Orndorff vs. Ric Flair vs. Rick Rude vs. Ricky Steamboat vs. Ron Simmons vs. Shane Douglas vs. Sid Vicious vs. Steve Austin vs. Sting
    Fresh off the buzz of his big return, it could be a good idea.

Other Questions:

Johnny B Badd to eliminate Arn Anderson.

Shane Douglas to have a really good showing.

Cactus Jack to go out early trying to defend Sting from Pillman and Austin

Clash really is just a big event for the sake of it, whilst we wait for more important things to come along. Not a lot of angle advancement to comment on, probably even less than last episode. One thing that always grinds my gears is a show like Clash of Champions and then the champion isn’t even on the show. I don’t like the idea of Vader not getting a spot on this card.
    Card looks solid enough, nothing really standing out as must see/read. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with…

Underdog

Status

Quote Originally Posted by stojy View Post
    Clash really is just a big event for the sake of it, whilst we wait for more important things to come along. Not a lot of angle advancement to comment on, probably even less than last episode. One thing that always grinds my gears is a show like Clash of Champions and then the champion isn’t even on the show. I don’t like the idea of Vader not getting a spot on this card.
    Card looks solid enough, nothing really standing out as must see/read. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with…
    Thanks for the predictions, Stojy, and I appreciate your feedback.

Honestly, I was on the fence about doing predictions for this show, given the card is quite heavily weight to the main event, but wanted to provide the opportunity in case anyone wanted to. The Clash always will be a secondary event for me compared with the PPVs, but they carry far more weight than, say Saturday Night or Main Event. All the matches have some kind of importance, even if it doesn't seem like it, but it's the main event here that really matters. That one match should hopefully ignite quite a few matches and angles down the road, and I'd hope will be well worth checking out.

And as for Vader, just because he's not been given a match before the event doesn't mean he won't be there...

I didn't hear no bell!!

Status

Bobby Eaton vs. Paul Roma
    I feel like Eaton will always have more to offer than Roma.

Stojys assessment on this sounds about right. Heel win to give Benoit some challengers.

WCW TV Title
    I dont see Benoit dropping the belt to anyone just now, let alone Tom Zenk.

Non-Title
    Feels like a showcase for Bulldog, as it should be.

Should work as a placeholder challenger for Davey whilst the issue between Flair and Windham shakes itself out.

Other Questions:

Can envisage some scenario where Cactus sacrifices himself to save Sting, just to prove he wants to be his partner. Wouldn't be surprised if Vader had some kind of involvement to set up his own next feud (Sid?). I expect some shenanigans with Rude, potentially being eliminated by Arn, then playing a part in Arns elimination to carry that feud on.

Johnny B Badd maybe, to continue his own momentum after beating Regal at Slamboree.

Flair or Windham.

Thread Information