Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: WCW: The Road To Competence

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

SuperBrawl IV Confirmed Card

WCW Heavyweight Championship
    Ric Flair (c) vs. Rick Rude
    Initially this is a pretty simple set up, with Rude initially being the man to last beat Flair. The attack and making claims for a title shot makes perfect sense. BTW lol at Rude saying he has the hottest woman in wrestling whilst Flair has Anderson. Great line. Things really took a big step up though with some awesome promo work from both men, and Flair claiming to bang Hyatt, leading to Rude distancing himself from her is awesome. Flair’s not afraid to play mind games and get down and dirty. This was awesome.
    Great build, turned some basic booking into an enthralling feud, but I think Flair gets the win here.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title
    Big Bubba Rogers vs. Ricky Steamboat (c)
    Awesome promo from Sherri again, and ‘The Sensationals’ works for me. Kind of feels like something that would work during this time period. LOL at Booker T’s coming for you line, gets me every time. Considering they are just getting started, I think Sherri’s crew have a really good night at SuperBrawl.

WCW Tag Team Titles
    Cactus Jack & Sting (c) vs. The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Saggs)
    The pairing of Nasty Boys with Fuller makes sense, they need a mouth piece and his promo in terms of reasoning for pairing with them was completely fine. Potentially he could have mentioned how it benefits him a little, as he’s always struck me as a character who is looking after numero uno, but was still decent.
    The Cactus/Sting chemistry being built was really enjoyable at the Clash and it continued here. Sting with the perfect white meat face promo, only for Cactus to become a maniac (which was awesome btw). Really good promo between the two, continuing their problems. Jack wanting to burn the arena down was a really good line as well.
    I think there’s a chance The Nasty Boys could win here, but I don’t like them, so I’ll back the champs to continue their weird relationship.

WCW Television Title
    Scotty Flamingo vs. Van Hammer (c)
    Honestly, probably the first bit of booking I have an issue with here is DDP just being removed from this angle. I don’t mind him training to be a wrestler and whatever but I think it could have been done a little differently. I mean it makes sense that they just teamed up to cost Flamingo, but as soon as Flamingo started to get the advantage on Hammer, it doesn’t make sense to me for DDP to not be around. It just doesn’t.
    I dig the introduction of JP Levesque, that guy sounds like he could have a future in the business…
    I’m thinking with the numbers disadvantage, Hammer might have a pretty short reign.

Grudge Match
    Arn Anderson vs. Big Van Vader
    Short and sharp from Double A in the build up. Any time he speaks, it’s awesome though. This match speaks for itself after the attack at Clash, and these two men going at it is one I can get behind.
    I think at this point Vader gets the win. I still think the heels continue to look the goods here until we get to a War Games type scenario where the faces band together. Until then, Vader beats the shit out of Arn.

If Dustin Wins, He Gets Paul Roma In A Bullrope Match
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Paul Orndorff

UNCONFIRMED! Dependent on other match: Bullrope Match
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Paul Roma
    Continuing to stack the deck against Rhodes to delay the pay off just feels like solid booking all around. Rhodes’ challenge was well written, as was the response. I like the idea of Rhodes having to get through both of them, meaning when he loses to Roma it won’t be that big of a deal.
    I do expect him to beat Orndorff to at least get to the second match though. Another angle that continues to progress really well.

Tag Match
    Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin)
    Another real good piece of writing with Pillman and Austin, it’s clear you enjoy their promos. The back and forth with Mean Gene was some funny shit at times. Obviously the two are trying to sell that they are still on the same page because Austin is a “swell guy”. The attack to set this one up was pretty random, but the reasoning for it was solid enough, and the faces wanting revenge makes sense.
    I fully expect another communication error to cost Pillman and Austin here.

Tag Match
    The American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk) vs. Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
    I just think they are better and need it. Comments regarding the build will be in the US Title match section.

The segments involving Regal and Eaton sound like they would have been hilarious. I didn’t expect their team to be formed this way, but it works for me.

I don’t really overly care for the WWF stuff. I don’t necessarily need it and I don’t think it adds anything per se, but I’m not offended it’s there either.

This was a wonderful post. Can feel things heating up after the Clash, looking forward to the show.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status
      Country                    United States

As much as I love Rude and would love to see him get a title before he retires, he's nothing more than a transition contender for Flair I think. But a really good one to have, mind you. I love the rationale here with Rude having the win already over Flair to hold over his head, makes perfect sense. But this being Flair's first defense since winning, he has to pick up the win here I would say.

A lot of face champions right now is the main reason I'm picking Bubba. That and he has the big momentum since debuting and it would make sense to not slow him down with a loss. It definitely won't be clean can see this one continuing with Steamboat now giving chase.

WCW Tag Team Titles
    I am super torn on this one to be honest. My heart wants to pick Sting and Jack to continue that dynamic because it's really just getting going, but The Nasty Boys, kind of like Bubba above, have the momentum and just got Robert Fuller behind them...that and makeshift tag teams typically don't keep the belts too long before giving them to a real team. I could also see a scenario where Jack gets them DQ'd as well - either way, I forsee some more tension coming for Sting and Jack.

WCW Television Title
    I'm not sure if DDP is still in Hammer's corner or not since he's training but his promo also indicated the Diamond Mine was still together just without Flamingo - either way, I forsee Mr. Levesque (amazing way to bring him in, btw) helping Flamingo pick up the win and get the title back with a potential tag match being built once DDP is ready to step into the ring.

Grudge Match
    Vader needs a get right win after losing the title if he wants to remain a viable threat in the main event scene so I really don't see him losing here.

Need some face wins on my prediction..plus, I don't think this stipulation gets made if this isn't going to happen :p

Seems rather unlikely that Rhodes would pull off the double win, but as I mentioned, I've picked a lot of heels to go over and the fans need something to be happy about! Rhodes pulls off a big double win and looks like a million bucks doing so.

Tag Match
    Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio vs. Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin)
    The breakup tour continues as the former champs once again lose due to miscommunication. Could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Tag Match
    The American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk) vs. Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray)
    Gotta go with the shiney new toy here - Harlem Heat are clearly the team with the higher cieling here so they pick up the win and head up the tag team rankings.
    Last edited by Saint Dubb; 02-12-2020 at 01:40 PM.

What A Maneuver!

Status

I really like the Rude/Hyatt pairing a lot. If Rude ever needed more heat than he already has, it’s with the hottest woman in WCW as his girlfriend Really solid build for this match, I loved the little snippets from Saturday Night in between. Loved the bit at the end that Flair’s gonna win and steal Rude’s girl- classic Flair line. I think the big picture is Flair continuing his title reign, although Rude makes for a very interesting challenger. He’s fresh, over as hell as a heel, and is very capable of carrying WCW as World Champ. I want to pick Rude just because I have a soft spot for him, but in the end Flair retains.

This story culminates with Rogers winning the title- why? Because he’s the damn Big Bossman! No, really I think Rogers wins here because Dustin will win both of his matches later on, which sets up a very intriguing program between Rogers and Dustin Rhodes. The build to this one has been fun, and Steamboat at this stage in his career can afford to lose, and even chase for the title a few more shows if Dustin’s program continues.

WCW Tag Team Titles
    It is amazing the job you’ve done in putting The Nastys over as credible challengers in just a short amount of time. I think the writing is on the wall for this Cactus and Sting pairing, and splitting them up to feud wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. I think you can get a lot more out of a Cactus/Sting program moving forward, and The Nastys can run roughshod over the tag division, since you’ve built them up so masterfully.

WCW Television Title
    I love how you’ve introduced Levesque as Scotty’s Private School buddy. Amazing stuff! I think with Levesque there to even the odds, Scotty wins back the title with help from his buddy. The story within the story here is Scotty has another guy by his side to help him win gold…only to be double crossed by Levesque down the line. I hope.

Grudge Match
    Arn has been portrayed great thus far since starting this thread back up, but Vader needs the win more here. I think this is a good point to re-establish Vader as a complete monster, annihilating Arn in the process. This one should be fun to play out.

I’m going all in on Dustin finally getting his revenge and winning this feud. For reasons I stated above in the Rogers/Steamboat match, if Rogers wins, he needs another credible guy to feud with- and Dustin, coming off a hot night only carries his momentum moving forward.

On top of what I just said, I really think Dustin might be one of my favorite characters in this thing. He seems really fun to write for. I think he has a big night and moves forward.

Tag Match
    The seeds continue to slowly be planted. Benoit and Scorpio as a pairing was a very fun one, so I am glad they are getting the rub in facing Austin & Pillman here. Another miscommunication between The Blonds leaves them at rock bottom following SuperBrawl.

Tag Match
    I’ll always have a soft spot for Harlem Heat. As a kid, I got their action figures for Christmas and was hooked ever since. Between The Nastys, Benoit/Scorpio and Harlem Heat, you have a very solid tag team division to build up. Harlem Heat begins their ascent up the rankings with a win here.

I think you know my opinion would be to leave the WWF snippets in, I like them a lot. It’s always fun to wonder “What’s the other side doing at the moment?” and have thought about adding that into my thread in the past but never went through with it.

As always man, really looking forward to this show. Everything is coming along very nicely, and I’m glad you’re slow building everything up instead of hot-shotting just for the sake of a shock factor. It’s fun when you only have to build to 4-5 big shows a year, and it clearly shows you’re having fun writing this. I’m having fun reading it…we’re all having fun! Looking forward to this show, and particularly looking forward to Austin/Pillman’s future, Sting and Cactus, Dustin’s ascent, and the debut of Levesque as Scotty’s bodyguard.

Pretty good

Status
      Country                    Ireland

SuperBrawl IV

A more than serviceable hold over angle for Flair before heading back into the Vader program. First thing though, a HUGE big black mark against you for having Rude simply refer to the fans as “Fans”. They’re {insert city here} sweathogs!! For a rather simplistic premise; last guy to beat the guy, the added bit with Flair getting a dig at Missy – seemingly an innocuous comment – allowed this to get a tad more personal. And I fucking LOVED the Mean Gene “what’s the meaning of this!?” bit during the attack!

But the further little bit of intrigue in Rude ditching Missy the night before the PPV either screams SET UP to lull Flair into a false sense of security before it’s revealed it was a staged argument between Rude and Missy … or it’s simply allowing you to set the table for a straight up wrestling match. Because I’m not seeing any world titles in Rick Rudes future (knowing a certain moustachioed superstar will soon be booting his way into the picture, and the unfinished business between Flair and Vader) I’m calling a straightforward RIC FLAIR win.

The Sensationals feels like quite an unintimidating name for a powerful heel faction, yet at the same time, for 1994? Sounds quite apt, so … good job, actually, I guess? Anyway, I think there’s a little longer for this one to run, so an intentional Rogers DQ loss could be the way to go … but fuck it; Ricky Steamboat is teflon and it doesn’t really matter if he loses the title this early. Meanwhile, Sherri has a new stable to be getting over, so even a brief title run for BIG BUBBA ROGERS could come in handy in making them seem a big deal.

WCW Tag Team Titles
    If there was one thing I felt missing from this write up of the build was that I would’ve liked the squash match Sting & Cactus won against Thunder and Lightning to have gotten a paragraph or two, just to underline the differences of Cactus and Sting again, even in a squash match. I don’t know if the “clean and no caffeine” line was something Sting had said before, but that’s fucking brilliant. I think there was maybe a little more you could’ve done with the Sting/Jack promo too, just to ram it home that Sting didn’t quite agree with Jacks actions at COTC.

There’s a lot more juice in the CACTUS JACK & STING team as champions for the time being, so I don’t see the Nasty Boys serving as much more than a challenger of the month type deal. Not sure I’m feeling the Nasties/Fuller connection that much either, as it doesn’t seem like an ideal fit. But, as for the progression of the Cactus/Sting angle, it’s coming along nicely with the cracks certainly showing.

WCW Television Title
    Triple H as an underling of Raven is one of the ultimate BTB fuck you’s anyone could pull on ‘ol big nose. Hope he’s scouring the forum and sees this, lol. I bet you’re looking forward to potentially jobbing the shit out of him after being hampered in the 2003 thread. Van Hammer isn’t all that important, and Raven now has a new back up to follow him, so SCOTTY FLAMINGO wins his title back here.

Grudge Match
    Bit surprised we didn’t get anything more in the way of build up for this. The Arn promo was perfect though. Not flash, but all substance. This is a match I’d genuinely love to see too. VADER is obviously winning, but Double A gives him a fight, because Arn shouldn’t be ever getting squashed. The man is a national treasure.

It was short and sweet, but fuck, was that Dustin Rhodes promo effective. I think thats 2/2 for him as the white meat babyface cutting white meat promos so far for this return of the thread, and he’s leading the way for consideration of the Best Booked Individual from this thread right now, potentially. There’ll be some chicanery either way (he wins, but quickly loses to Roma, or outright gets screwed here first), so I’ll say we get the teased match, but barely any of it. So, DUSTIN RHODES wins this…

But loses this. PAUL ROMA gets another screwy win, as there’s a little more juice to squeeze here, imo. I doubt you blow this off by only teasing the match happening.

Tag Match
    One team is just getting started, while the wheels appear to be in motion for the other to be on the way toward a break up. I’m guessing there’ll be another miscommunication between Austin and Pillman to allow BENOIT & SCORPIO to pick up a debut win as a team. Fun promo that from the Blonds btw, and I especially enjoyed the pair playing down the mix up at COTC rather than overplaying it this early into the angle.

Tag Match
    I’ll be honest, given the loaded nature of the card, numbers wise, this match feels unnecessary, especially when Regal and Eaton couldn’t get booked~!!. Could easily see this being on the show to simply give Harlem Heat another big showcase win and set them as the next challengers for the titles. Loved that Booker line at the end of the promo, btw. Thank God there was no ‘N’ word at the end!! HARLEM HEAT win. Because. Obviously.

FWIW, I like the look at what the WWF were doing at the same time. It’s something I already know, but without it, it’s not like it’s something I’d be thinking about when reading this, if that makes sense? So I’d say, yeah, keep it. Something snappy like you have here is perfectly fine and enough to jog my memory.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

If I'm going to get into a monthly recap style, this is definitely the way to go it. Having the promos, and as shown here with some feuds, multiple promos, really does what is needed to tell the stories in a way I don't think anyone else has truly done yet. The Flair/Rude program is absolutely the perfect example. The story has been told perfectly, but more than that, I've gotten a great look into the characters to have a bigger reason to invest and care about their motivations.

I thought you've really made Rude a fun heel in here, despite the fact that you didn't have him call anyone a sweat hog. I loved the part of him holding Gene's face and demanding he look at him. With Hyatt as Rude's manager, the storyline you created there is just great and I love it. I don't think you've quite yet hit peak Ric Flair but I already know in time that's going to happen.

I love the story you're telling between Sting and Cactus Jack, and I'm looking forward to the slow burn you're going to create they're there. However, Nasty Boys & Fuller is a match made at a convent - it's boring as hell.

While you're doing some fun stuff with the Hollywood Blondes, I'm actually not too into their interviews yet. I think the slang/diction is just a bit overdone and it takes away a bit from me. That's always been one thing I think you've overdone though at times with certain people, so I really should just stop bitching and get used to it by now :P

I loved the little touch with Booker T, and I don't care what Wolfy said, the Sensationals is a great name!

I don't like Eaton just going with Regal, just because of them being a team for so long in the past. This is something that's so easy to differentiate from history that it's disappointing you didn't.

SuperBrawl IV Confirmed Card

You've created a fun story here, but there's only one winner.

You get a title change at a big show. Bubba needs the title not right now, while Steamboat doesn't need the title to be over

WCW Tag Team Titles

This still has a lot of legs in it, and Hogan isn't here yet to make sure the Nasties go over

WCW Television Title

Because Van fucking Hammer should never any title ever.

Grudge Match

Arn will put up a good fight, but Vader obviously needs this win

He kind of has to win.

Because this feud ends with Dusty helping his son out

Tag Match

I know common sense says the Blondes accidentally cost themselves the match, but I think they get a win here to throw off the scent.

Tag Match

Because Fuck The Police!

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Jam Up Guy

Status

Big time thank you to BattleTank for the awesome graphics again, including SuperBrawl specific dividers in this bad boy...

Episode Twenty: SuperBrawl IV (February 1994)

2 Cold Scorpio & Chris Benoit vs. The Hollywood Blonds (Brian Pillman & Steve Austin)

And what a way to kick off the first WCW PPV of 1994!

Despite their inexperience in working together, the exciting combination of Benoit and Scorpio (now dressed in similarly bright attire) fire up the fans with a series of quick-fire moves, completely showing up the possibly complacent Blonds and forcing them to take a time out on the outside. When they eventually return to the ring… Benoit and Scorpio show them up again! These two really do want to prove that they aren’t anybody’s whipping boys!

Unfortunately, the Blonds do eventually find their way back in to the contest through nefarious means, and manage to isolate Benoit from his partner. Even with the Power of the Mullet behind him, Benoit repeatedly comes this close to making the tag, but the Blonds do a wonderful job of splitting the ring in two, leaving Scorpio on the apron to try and get the fans behind his separated partner. The Blonds are in their absolute element, repeatedly mocking Benoit in front of Scorpio, and cutting off his momentum at any sign he might be able to get back in to the match. Benoit, though, is a hell of a talent, and manages to reverse a Stun Gun attempt in to a Sunset Flip, hits a Swinging Neckbreaker… and crawls to Scorpio for the tag!

Scorpio comes in all kinds of fired up, nailing the Blonds with Dropkicks and bringing the fans to their feet. The crowd think he’s managed to pick up the win after a Hurricanrana, only for Pillman to break up the pin with an Elbow Drop. The match completely loses all sense of cohesion as bodies fly left, right and centre, which allows the crafty Blonds to take advantage, eject Benoit from the ring, and Austin nails Scorpio with his Stun Gun…

… only for Chris Benoit to roll Austin up from behind… 1… 2… 3!

Winners: Chris Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio in 12:29

The crowd absolute explode (it is a Southern crowd witnessing a babyface tag team pick up the win, after all), but Bobby Heenan on commentary is livid, proclaiming that Benoit wasn’t the legal man…

… right up until we get a swanky replay swoop in to shot, showing that Benoit managed to hang on to the ropes when he was thrown out and made a blind tag on Scorpio during the Stun Gun, meaning that in fact he was the legal man, and the Blonds missed it!

Scorpio and Benoit hug on the ramp as they return to the back, pumped at having picked up an enormous win. Inside the ring the story is different, though, with the Blonds now 0-3 in big events, losing to Sting & Cactus, the Nasty Boys and even the lower-card, irregular pairing of Benoit and 2 Cold Scorpio in back-to-back-to back matches. Austin remonstrates with the ref, who merely signals a blind tag was made and Austin was absolutely pinned by the legal man…

… but Brian Pillman is furious! He spins Austin around and yells at him for ”dropping the ball”, leaving Austin to try and explain what had happened. Pillman doesn’t want to hear it and tries to storm off… but Austin grabs his arm, stopping him from leaving! He tries to get him to calm down…

SO PILLMAN SHOVES AUSTIN TO THE MAT! Pillman is storming off without his partner! Austin can only watch on in shock as Pillman disappears to the back…

… are we seeing the end of the Hollywood Blonds?!

WCW Television Title
    Scotty Flamingo w/JP Levesque vs. Van Hammer (c)

Soon enough we’re ready to kick on to the next match on the card, and boy is this one with a lot of history. It’s a rematch from the Clash where Hammer, as a mystery opponent, trounced his former stable-mate in just a few minutes, taking Flamingo’s TV Title after Scotty arrogantly disbanded the Diamond Mine in the misguided notion that he didn’t need him. Hammer comes out alone in this one, unlike his cowardly former friend who brings out his old school friend JP Levesque, who is no doubt here to run interference at every possible opportunity.

And interfere at every opportunity he will. The opening part of the contest is beyond one-sided, with Scotty on the backfoot throughout, but a well-timed interference from Levesque brings things back Flamingo’s way. Scotty then makes sure to use the most of Levesque by consistently distracting the ref to allow for cheap-shots, preventing Hammer from getting the comebacks he’d so clearly be able to get if it was a straight-up match with Scotty…

… but Hammer still eventually finds his way in to it! He manages to battle back against Flamingo, and Levesque can see where this one is going. Flamingo rakes the eyes and looks to whip Hammer across the ring, so Levesque casually leans on the apron, ready to subtly trip Hammer… but Hammer reverses… and Levesque trips Flamingo! Scotty spins around to ask his friend what the hell he’s playing at…

… which allows Van Hammer to hit the Cobra Clutch Slam! 1… 2… 3!

Winner and still WCW Television Champion: Van Hammer in 8:10

The crowd pop for Flamingo again falling short, and Hammer makes sure to pump his title to the air to celebrate in what will surely prove to be just the start of a really exciting career! *cough*

Scotty, on the other hand, can’t believe that he lost again, this time with his insurance policy failing to pay out, and can only look on despondently Levesque, who merely stares back in slack-jawed, open-eyed shock at what happened (smell the acting! This kid’s going places!)

The American Assassins (Tom Zenk & Marcus Alexander Bagwell) vs. Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) w/Sherri

Despite both teams being somewhat low on the totem pole that is the WCW roster, this feud has been rumbling away for several months now, with Sherri having been the difference when they’ve faced in the past, meaning we’ve never had a clear indication of who really is the top young tag team in Dubya Cee Dubya. Much like the opener, with the Assassins being your standard white meat, jogging-to-the-ring-slapping-hands babyfaces, they spend much of the contest on the backfoot, although this time with little in the way of Sherri interfering, which Tony puts down to the Heat wanting to prove once and for all they’re the better team.

Harlem Heat have the match in control for large parts of the match, but those vanilla babyfaces just don’t stay down, dagnabbit, and they start to fire back. Sherri, having stayed quiet for long enough now, leaps on the apron, bringing this whole notion of finding out who the better team really are to be the sham we always knew it would be, distracting the referee while Booker looks for a cheapshot… only for Bagwell to reverse… and sends Booker careering in to Sherri! Sherri falls off the apron… but right in to the waiting arms of Stevie! But the thought of poor, innocent Sherri nearly getting hurt only serves to distract the referee further…

… which allows MENG, decked in a suit and wearing sunglasses, to make his debut, tearing through both Assassins with a brutal Double Clothesline, then nails Bagwell with a Savate Kick, allowing Booker to flop on top for the cover as the referee finally pays attention again… 1… 2… 3!

Winners: Harlem Heat in 10:04

So after all the talk of finally finding out who the best young team in WCW is, we get another bullshit finish as THEMONSTERMENG hands yet another shitty victory to Harlem Heat. Not that Booker and Stevie care, of course! They celebrate like they’ve won the titles themselves, and with Sherri thankfully uninjured, she raises Harlem Heat’s arms in victory on the ramp, with Meng looming behind, looking menacing (and crazy cool in shades and a suit) in the background.

Arn Anderson vs. Big Van Vader w/Harley Race

After ten minutes featuring top guys like Tom Zenk and Stevie Ray, let’s slow things down a bit with a living legend looking for revenge against a 400lbs monster.

After a whole year as WCW Champion, Big Van Vader finally lost the belt to Arn’s best friend Ric Flair at Starrcade, but only after the gargantuan (and Race’s other cronies) brutally dismantled the Enforcer. Arn has had to wait for medical clearance to get his revenge against Race and his crew, but now he has it he’s starting with the top dog.

And that looks like it might be a mistake. Arn is more than ready to take the fight to the monster, but Vader was unbeaten for over a year for a reason. He stiffly and savagely clubs, beats and punches Arn until the Enforcer is a bruised and swollen mess, and then carries on beating the shit out of him. Arn, bless him, gives it his all, firing back with equally stiff shots and refusing to stay down, but any run of offence tends to be easily cut off by a Body Block or Clothesline. Arn sells his socks off trying to get Vader over as remaining a colossal threat even without the belt, but still keeps trying to fight his way back in to it. And that’s what this is. A fight.

But for all of Vader’s domination, he can’t quite put Arn away, with Race growing frustrated at ringside that Arn just won’t stay down. Arn again manages to battle back and tries for his trademark DDT, but Vader shoves him out in to the ropes and ducks down for presumably either a Back Body Drop or Samoan Drop… but Arn floats over… for a Sunset Flip!

So Vader Sitout Butt Drops him! Vader straight up crushes Arn’s chest and sits in the cover… 1… 2...

But Arn kicks out! He refuses to stay down! Vader pulls him up… and drives him in to the mat with a Side Belly-To-Belly Suplex! He makes the cover… 1… 2...

BUT ARN KICKS OUT ONCE AGAIN! What’s it going to take to keep him down?!

I think we’re about to find out. Vader, under barking orders from Harley Race, pulls Arn up… places him between his legs… POWERBOMB!

But he doesn’t makes the cover! The ref slides in to position, but Vader’s not going for the pin! He’s not going to let Arn get away with this kind of insolence! He drags him to the corner… VADER BOMB! But still he doesn’t make the cover! He goes up again… AND SECOND VADER BOMB! AND THEN A THIRD! And only now does he place a disrespectful boot on Arn’s chest… 1… 2… 3!

Winner: Big Van Vader in 14:20

Wow. Arn is no slouch – in fact, he’s one of the all time greats, but he just got dismantled out there. He put up a hell of a fight for as long as he could, but ultimately all that did was piss Vader off, and left him a crumbled, flattened heap on the canvas.

As medical personnel try to peel Arn off the mat, Harley Race gets in the ring to raise Vader’s arm in victory, but Vader snatches his hand away, and starts bellowing ”FLAAAAAAAAIIIIIIR!” at the top of his lungs.

So… I take it he wants a rematch, then?

WCW Tag Team Titles
    Cactus Jack & Sting (c) vs. The Nasty Boys (Jerry Saggs & Brian Knobbs) w/ Robert Fuller

At least things should calm down a little here. The Nasty Boys, led to the ring by their new manager, pace inside the ring as they await their opponents, having turned heel and taken them out at last month’s Clash of the Champions. But as Sting’s new theme ”Man Called Sting” hits and the champions come out, Sting already seems to be pleading for calm from Cactus Jack… who ignores his partner and rushes to the ring to start a brawl!

Sting is left no choice but to join in, and despite the bell ringing, this one completely spills over immediately. It’s nothing but a crazed brawl, with the referee getting no opportunity to enforce the rules as the match breaks down before it even begins. Eventually, though, Sting and Cactus seem to have gotten the better of it, so Sting shoves Knobbs in to his corner and tells him to get out of the ring, and returns to the apron himself, doing his best to ensure the match follows a standard tag format…

… but Knobbs doesn’t climb to the apron, forcing Sting back in to stop the double team on Cactus! Sting gets the better of it and forceably puts Knobbs on the apron, and returns himself to try and allow the match to calm down a little. The match shows signs of being a regular tag match… until Knobbs decides to get involved again, and Sting again is forced to come in against his will, lest he allow the belts to disappear in their first major title defence.

Again things look to calm down, and this time Sting is able to tag his way in, and demands that Jack returns to the apron, who seems only too happy to embrace the Nasty Boys’ attempts to turn this in to pure and utter carnage. Jack follows orders for now, but Sting finds himself on the backfoot, which should signal the start of the babyface-in-peril segment…

… but Cactus Jack climbs in to the ring before it can really get going! Just like the Nasty Boys, he isn’t going to wait patiently on the apron while his partner is taken out… and again this one completely breaks down!

And, unlike the previous times, there won’t be a period of calming down. Jack and Saggs tumble to the outside with a Cactus Clothesline, and they brawl up the ramp. Sting, sensing his partner is in trouble, charges after them and makes the save, but Knobbs comes after him. The fight sprawls all around ringside, and the referee has well and truly lost any semblance of control, so it perhaps shouldn’t come as a shock when Saggs grabs a chair from ringside and clocks Cactus right between the eyes with it, drawing a DQ.

Winners by disqualification and still WCW Tag Team Champions: Cactus Jack & Sting in 9:17

That result almost seems irrelevant, though. As Cactus crumples to the floor, Sting dives at Saggs, tackling him to the mat and wails on him, which brings Knobbs over. The timekeeper furiously rings the bell, no doubt stunned that it does little to stop the brawl, so eventually the Fun Police rush out from the back and pull the two sides apart. Jack has barely moved since the chairshot, so as Sting is dragged one way and the Nasty Boys the other, Stinger yells threats at the challengers, telling them they ”blew their own shot at the belts.” Robert Fuller, however, seems unconcerned...

Big Bubba Rogers w/Sherri vs. Ricky Steamboat (c)

It’s been a night of absolute carnage already, and it doesn’t look like it’s about to stop here. After his miraculous performance in winning the US Title at Starrcade, Ricky Steamboat was attacked by the returning Big Bubba Rogers, and the former Big Boss Man laid out The Dragon and made it clear he was coming for his belt. After taking him out again at the Clash, there’s plenty of reasons for Steamboat to be fired up in this one, and he comes out with all guns blazing…

… which ends up counting for very little. Bubba has a huge size advantage, and there are few as well suited to taking a beating from a much bigger opponent as Steamboat. The fans of course do everything they can will Steamboat in to making an impression on the match, and he tries to battle back in with everything he’s got in him, but Rogers barely comes off his feet, let alone looks in danger of getting pinned. Steamboat pushes on, over and over giving it all he’s got… and eventually takes Bubba off his feet with a Diving Chop off the top! Finally Ricky’s getting some momentum going!

Sherri starts to panic and yells for Bubba to fight back, but Steamboat’s managed to outlast the challenger, with Schiavone suggesting this might be an intentional choice of strategy from the Dragon. Indeed, Bubba is starting to look a little gassed, while Steamboat still has plenty left in the tank, so he speeds things but, forcing Bubba further and further from his comfort zone. Bubba’s all over the place, so Steamboat climbs to the top rope for the huge dive… he leaps off…

… right in to Bubba’s arms! Bubba catches Steamboat mid-Crossbody! He holds Steamboat up… then suddenly swings him around… BUBBA SLAM! Huge impact! He hooks the leg… 1…

... 2…

… 3!

Winner and new WCW United States Champion: Big Bubba Rogers in 13:47

And the crowd are stunned! Just two months after he won the belt at Starrcade, Steamboat has lost it already! Sherri shrieks in delight and joins Bubba in the ring, and he raises his newly won belt high above his head as the arena now starts to fill with boos. Steamboat’s out on the mat, with Tony absolutely speechless at what we’ve just seen, while Heenan quips that he ”always knew Steamboat was a choker!”

Eventually Steamboat starts to come around pulls himself to his feet. By now Bubba and Sherri had looked to leave, but they turn back and stare at Steamboat, who props himself up on the top rope. He hobbles over, devastated that his two huge wins at Starrcade seem to now count for so little…

… and offers a handshake! Even after such a crushing victory, even after the beatdowns, Ricky Steamboat’s still offering his respect to the new US Champion! Big Bubba stares blankly, seemingly himself a little shocked at the show of respect… we wait to see what his response will be...

… when Steamboat’s suddenly nailed from behind…

… by MENG! Sherri’s monster, who returned earlier in the night, is back out and laying the boots to Steamboat! And here comes HARLEM HEAT! It’s a three-on-one mugging from Sherri’s stable as Bubba watches on, looking conflicted…

WHEN BUBBA PULLS THEM ALL AWAY! Bubba’s standing up for Steamboat! Booker, Stevie and Meng surround him as he stands between them and Steamboat…

UNTIL BUBBA STARTS PUTTING THE BOOTS TO STEAMBOAT AS WELL! He just wanted a piece for himself! He pulls Steamboat up, and he groggily stumbles around the ring… in to a Savate Kick from Meng! Steamboat’s knocked loopy as he staggers around… in to another Bubba Slam from Rogers!

And finally, the beating comes a close. Steamboat’s well and truly taken out, and Sherri’s goons loom over him. Eventually she takes her place between Meng and Bubba, and raises their arms, with Booker and Stevie joining on the end and joining in. Shoulder-to-shoulder, side-by-side, Sherri has put together a stable that comes out of SuperBrawl with two wins and a new member…

… and perhaps most importantly, the US Title.

If Dustin wins, he gets Paul Roma in a Bullrope Match
    Dustin Rhodes vs. Paul Orndorff w/Paul Roma

All it takes is Orndorff’s entrance (with Paul Roma joining him and taunting Dustin with a bullrope) to set Dustin off, and that plays straight in to Orndorff’s hands. With Roma incessantly ringing the bell of the bullrope on the outside to mock his one-time friend, Dustin immediately spends the majority of the contest on the back foot, forced to watch on helplessly as Mr Wonderful works him over and Roma laughs as his misfortune.

Dustin, the much beloved grandson of a plumber, of course manages to rally back after a while and seems to be working his way in to the contest, when Orndorff begs off and drags the referee over to stop Dustin… which allows Roma to hop on to the apron and clock Dustin in the face with the cowbell…

AND DUSTIN’S BUSTED WIDE OPEN!

With Tony turning to his melodramatic best, Dustin’s left with a crimson mask, knowing full well that not only is this match getting away from him, but so too is his chance at facing Roma in a Bullrope match afterwards. The canvas turns pink as Orndorff looks to finish the match off… but Dustin fights back again! There’s that classic Rhodes resilience! Roma panics and again hops on to the apron and swings the cowbell… but Dustin ducks… and Roma nails his own partner! Roma’s dumbfounded as Orndorff slumps to the mat, so Dustin falls on top… 1… 2… 3!

Winner: Dustin Rhodes in 12:52

Dustin has done it! Against all odds and covered in blood, Dustin has overcome Paul Orndorff!

But Paul Roma nails Dustin in the back of the head with the cowbell! Dustin goes down in a heap, so Roma ties the bullrope around Dustin’s wrist… and tells the referee to start the match! He’s giving Dustin the match he so badly wanted!

The referee refuses to start given Dustin’s condition… but Dustin pulls himself up on the ropes, caked in blood… and beckons for Roma to take him on! Even now he refuses to back down! The referee shrugs, seeing that Dustin wants the match… and calls for the bell! This one is happening!

Bullrope Match

Roma charges straight over and pummels Dustin, with the former US Champion barely able to put up a fight. The crowd start chanting for the babyface, but his decision to allow this match to go ahead seems unwise. Roma chokes him out with the rope and does everything he can to make the most of the clear advantage he has…

… but Dustin starts to fight back! No matter what Pretty Wonderful through at him, he just keeps on coming! Roma tries to cheapshot him down, and drives the cowbell in to the wound, getting blood all over the metal and opening up Dustin’s gash even wider, and with that seems to have it all in hand. Dustin’s out on the mat, so Roma climbs to the top for his Diving Elbow Drop… but it misses! Dustin moved at the last minute and Roma crashed and burned!

And with that, the fans can tell the tide has changed. Even though his head and chest are covered in blood, Dustin punches over and over at his former friend, beating him down until Roma begs off, and continuing even then. The crowd go nuts as Dustin fights through adversity to nail a DDT… but he doesn’t go for the cover. He grabs the cowbell and looks at it… and waits for Roma to get up! He’s not finishing this one here, he’s going to make Roma pay! Roma staggers up… so Dustin clocks him right between the eyes! And now Roma is busted open as well! But still Dustin isn’t done! He drops the cowbell on to the mat and pulls Roma up…

PILEDRIVER ON TO THE COWBELL! Four months of frustration finally being taken out on the treacherous Paul Roma! Dustin makes the cover… 1… 2… 3!

Winner: Dustin Rhodes in 6:46

And finally Dustin has done it! It’s been months in the making, but finally Dustin has got his hands on Paul Roma, and using the very move Roma and Orndorff have used on him over and over again in the build up! He can barely stand up under his own weight, but as he has his hand raised in victory and Paul Roma is helped to the back by Paul Orndorff, Dustin can finally sleep at night knowing that the duo probably won’t be feeling particularly wonderful tonight...

WCW Heavyweight Title

As the only man to have beaten Ric Flair since his return, the advantage should firmly be on Rick Rude’s side. However, due to Flair’s dirty, dirty mind games, he’s managed to swing things back around his way, with Rude banishing his valet and girlfriend Missy Hyatt from ringside, just in case she’s working with Flair. With Rude so fired up, he rushes straight in to an immaculately laid trap by Flair, who pokes and scratches his way through dominating the early parts of the match. It’s only when he tries a chop to the chest that Rude no sells and makes his pecs dance (they are nice pecs, after all), so Flair tries a punch to the stomach… which hurts Flair more than Rude! Come on, Ric, never punch Rick Rude in the abs!

That allows Rude to take over, sending Flair barrelling all around the ring, and whipping him so hard in to the corner Flair flips over the top and to the apron. I don’t know why I mentioned that in particular, it happens in every Flair match. Rude gets good traction off a Chinlock, which is presumably why he locks in another two not long after, and surely not because he’s getting lazy. With Flair fighting dirty, Rude makes sure to throw in some dirty moves of his own to prevent the fans from siding with him, and Flair gives the fans hope of a comeback with well-timed spots... but Rude manages to power through and stay in control with, you guessed it, a Chinlock (someone get Randy Orton a DNA test, stat!). With Flair eventually propped up in the corner Rude charges over for a Big Boot… but Flair moves… and Rude kicks the turnbuckle! That injures his leg… so ”NOW-UH… WE GO TO SCHOOL!”

Flair works over the leg to the delight of the crowd, culminating in a Figure Four Leglock that is of course assisted by use of the ropes behind the referee’s back. As Tony comments on how Missy Hyatt would have alerted the referee had Rude not banned her from ringside, she jogs out from the back anyway to help out her man, trying to prove she’s on his side and not Flair’s. This allows the ref to see Flair’s cheating and forces him to break it up, and with Missy distracting the ref Rude’s able to crawl over to Flair… low blow! Missy just handed Rude a golden opportunity! Rude makes the cover… 1… 2...

… but Flair kicks out! Rude gets back to his feet, ready to finish this contest off for good… when he finally sees Missy for the first time! He doesn’t realise the role she had in getting him to this point in the match and starts yelling at her to get the hell out of there, which draws the attention of the ref who joins in telling her to leave. With both Rude and the ref facing Missy on the ramp, Flair crawls over… LOW BLOW! Flair gets a low blow in of his own! Rude crumples to the mat… SO FLAIR LOCKS IN THE FIGURE FOUR AGAIN! With Missy stunned that she was partially to blame, Rude’s stuck in the middle of the ring with nowhere to go… AND VERBALLY SUBMITS! Rick Rude quits!

Winner and still WCW Heavyweight Champion: Ric Flair in 19:42

There’s an eruption of cheers for the dirty win from the champ, but the crowd wouldn’t have it any other way. The Dirtiest Player in the Game took everything Rude had to throw at him and through not always clean methods, managed to get one over on the one guy to have beaten him since his return nearly twelve months ago. Flair takes the cheers of the crowd as Rude holds his leg in agony, before staring out at Missy on the elevated ramp. She tearfully pleads for forgiveness, but Rude merely rolls out of the ring and limps back down the ramp, refusing to even acknowledge her.

But as one relationship looks to be coming to an end, another is stronger than ever… and that’s the relationship between Ric Flair and championship gold. WOOOOO!

* END OF SHOW *

What A Maneuver!

Status

Time for some SuperBrawl! The buildup to this has been done tremendously, and it really shows that you’re having fun writing WCW again. I know you’ve said that you’re still laying the groundwork for all of the fun stuff, but I’ve found from personal experience that sometimes laying the groundwork becomes fun once you get into it.

Benoit and Scorpio were always going over here, and I had a feeling The Blonds would end up getting physical with one another in some fashion following the loss. I like that you kept it short and sweet with just a push to the mat, as you can still have an out for Pillman to apologize and say they were both frustrated etc… I also am intrigued that it was Pillman pushing Austin, and not the other way around. Pillman was no slouch himself, so I find it very interesting that he fires the first shot instead of Austin. Either way, I am really excited to see this split gain traction moving forward. In the end, you advance one of your biggest storylines all while giving a newer tag team a credible win over the top team in WCW. Nicely done all around.

Nice idea to keep the TV title on Van Hammer…the breakout star of 1994 Great booking here, with Levesque tripping Scotty on accident. I bet it is fun as hell to book Levesque right now, altering his path. I am still curious to see if this losing streak for Scotty leads him down to a dark place. The places you can take Raven with this thread…

Harlem Heat pick up the win all while Meng debuts. All good on my end, I don’t need to read anything else- my 2 boxes for this show are now checked Solid showing for Harlem Heat-they had to win this match to start getting over. And you’re 100 percent right, Meng does looks cool as hell with this attire on haha! The main story here is Sherri getting Meng as a client/bodyguard, which can only mean big things for Harlem Heat. This delivered very well for me.

I was honestly expecting Vader to maul the shit out of Arn here. I’m glad you decided to give Arn some offense and the will to fight on, but he was never winning this thing. Arn shows resilience, which keeps him looking strong for whatever is next for him. Vader gets tested a bit, but in the end in my eyes was toying around with Arn. Shouting “Flair” after the match was good too, as it gives Vader a story moving forward. I had Vader as one of my Best Booked Individuals back when this thread first took off, and whenever I get around to posting my awards log, he goes back on.

I like how you’ve staggered the card so far, going back and forth between tag and singles. It’s a minor detail, but makes the show flow that much nicer.

Really fun brawl here for the Tag titles. You did a great job of keeping Sting as the voice of reason, only for it to break down at every step of the way. I am really, really hoping this leads to a Street Fight or Falls Count Anywhere Match at the next PPV, which I believe is Spring Stampede? I remember the insane brawl The Nasty’s had with Jack/Maxx Payne at Spring Stampede in real life, and I’m hoping you duplicate that down the line. I don’t think The Nasty Boys are done chasing the titles just yet, and I am glad my prediction of them winning was wrong, because this feud has serious legs underneath it. The overlapping part of Sting still trying to “normalize” Cactus is a very fun one. Great job here.

Ah, yes! Big Bubba with championship gold! Like I said, Steamboat is Steamboat so there is no harm in taking the title off of him since I viewed him as a transitional champ anyway. The formation of Meng, Harlem Heat and Big Bubba gives Sherri as a manager some serious credibility moving forward. I sense there could be tension between Bubba and Meng down the line, but for now I’ll enjoy Big Bubba as US Champ!

Dustin had to get busted open at some point, it’s only fitting for him given his lineage. After beating Orndorff, he was always winning over Roma. I’m glad you gave Orndorff and Roma something to do in this thread. You built them up as a credible threat to Dustin, only to have Dustin overcome the odds in the end and take them both down. From here, Dustin has to get catapulted back into the US title picture I would think. Your booking of Dustin has been very fun to watch unfold, and now we move on from this, and I hope a long US title reign is in the works. I just hope The Blacktop Bully isn’t lurking around anywhere once you move onto 1995

Really fun title match here. It was very well booked. The use of Missy Hyatt to distract only for Rude to realize AFTER the fact was great. Flair doing whatever he can to retain as only Flair can. No need to re-invent the wheel here, as Flair was always going to retain. Also, Rude doesn’t look like a chump since Flair used the low blow to swing the match into his favor. Interested to see what happens moving forward between Rude and Missy. The main story here is Flair continues to be the man, with Vader lurking around somewhere waiting to whoop some ass.

Overall, this was an excellent show from top to bottom. You’ve gotten the recap style down to a science right now, as you’re able to tell the stories without a massive amount of detail-something that is pretty tricky to get down. I love the main event scene, but for me it is always the fun undercard scene that shapes a show or a thread from a good one to a great one. In just two shows (one PPV) you’ve managed to throw intrigue into every single thing booked. If this is just you laying the groundwork for the fun stuff, I can’t imagine how great this will look down the line. The fun stuff is already here, and it’s only going to get better. Awesome job my friend, this was a pleasure to read.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

-Great match to start the show off with and it told the right story. The Blonds time is clearly coming to an end and I am excited about both of their singles runs that are coming up. Benoit & 2 Cold Scorpio can be a fun midcard team as well. Loved the post-match action and it looks like Pillman will be the heel in the breakup. Wouldn't have minded if it was the other way around but I can understand the decision.

-An 8 minute Van Hammer match sounds just awful! Really surprised at the outcome here as I still have a hard time seeing him as the champion of what has been the "workhorse" belt for it's run. That and I'm disappointed that Levesque and Flamingo already are having some issues. But will wait to see how this all plays out moving forward. Also I miss DDP!

-The Assassins looked good in defeat here but the real story is WOO MENG! Great use of him here and I look forward to his dominating of the roste from here on out...

-What a fight by Anderson, coming out of the match looking strong in defeat while still letting Vader look like a monster. Well played and I am pumped for more Vader/Flair.

-The tag title match sounds pretty chaotic which probably would have to be done to hide the Nasties' defficiencies in the wrestling department. Jack and Sting's partnership is definitely the highlight of this BTB for me right now so I am glad you didn't take the titles off of them yet.

-Big win by Bubba and getting the US Title but also the cementing of the alliance between Bubba, Harlem Heat, and Meng. Not a stronger looking group right now after Superbrawl anyway.

-Man Dustin Rhodes comes off looking like a million bucks here and that's kind of what I was hoping would happen. Rhodes has the highest ceiling of anyone in this program and it was a good time to have this be the blow off. I imagine he makes the most sense to step into a US Title feud with Bubba.

-Like that the main is pretty straight forward with an old school story to tell and the Missy angle playing into the ending. Wonder if this leads to a Rude face turn - but either way, Flair was always winning this but it's still a solid way to end the show. Bring on Vader/Flair II!

Drink the Kool-Aid

Status

Talk about an awesome opener… WCW doesn’t even need the Cruiserweights with tag matches like this opening up proceedings. LOL at Benoit wearing bright colours to match Scorpio, it just feels strange, but I’m all for it because tag team partners have to have a uniform. Anyway, the match went pretty much expected and I’m happy you gave them a decent amount of time. The blind tag use by the faces and almost beating The Blondes at their own game was an interesting finish. Considering the matching uniforms, I’m assuming Benoit/Scorpio could potentially stay together for a while, and I’m all for that. Scorpio is underrated as fuck, imo. The Blondes having dramas again after another loss is where the booking fun is here. Pillman shoving Austin to the mat and what not, however I still don’t think this is the huge explosion that breaks them up. A nice piece of work heading towards that moment though, and definitely a fun way to start the show.

It seems like booking 101 for a man to bring in a new guy to help him out, and they usually have some success to put them over as a dangerous pairing. So I was certainly shocked when Van Hammer got the win here. I don’t necessarily have any issues, this just caught me off guard. I’m assuming from here they all move on to different things, hopefully one of the being Hammer dropping the title.

Whilst I don’t mind them put together as a tandem, the thought of The American Assassins winning anything important worries me, so I’m happy to see Harlem Heat get the victory here. Sherri getting involved makes sense, and I marked for the appearance of Meng. The shades and suit is definitely a new look for him but I’m all for it. A big thumbs up here for the use of Meng alone… Plus it feels like the right team went over, even if nothing is really resolved.

Holy shit, poor Arn. Double A is a legend but Vader decimating him like this is probably what needed to happen here. Vader’s always been known for being stiff as fuck so I’m all for Arn getting swollen eyed and bruised, it just makes Vader that much more awesome. I liked that Arn showed some heart but Vader just going ham at the end was probably the right move. I can’t think of a better way for Vader to get another shot at Flair then destroying his best friend either. Great stuff.

I don’t know exactly what’s going to happen with the WCW Tag Titles and Sting/Cactus, but I LOVED everything about this match. From Cactus again going off script and charging the ring, to Sting almost not being able to keep up at times due to not wanting the match to turn into chaos. Really interesting times and the DQ finish signals that The Nasty Boys could continue to try and bring the worst out of Sting. Sting being pissed afterwards could potentially show a change in his attitude as well. Either way, this was great in terms of continuing the story.

Wow. You sure put over Big Bubba here and Sherri’s group have had a real coming out party tonight. The last thing I expected was for Bubba to take care of Steamboat so easily and clean for that matter. Another shock in my eyes but again not something I can fault. The aftermath with the heel crew showing just how big of scumbags they are was completely fine.

Well, it seems you’ve shocked me with quite a few outcomes here tonight, this being another one. I didn’t expect revenge for Rhodes tonight but that’s certainly what he got. I always expected him to get over on Orndorff but be softened up beyond recognition. That kind of happened with Roma’s interference playing a bit part until it back fired. I love the visual of Rhodes being covered in blood as well, classic stuff. Roma having the advantage makes sense considering the beating Dustin took. The comeback was fine and dandy and finishing with the Piledriver gives this a nice sense of full circle. If I wanted to be real picky, unless Rhodes is some unbeatable monster ala Goldberg, Rhino in my thread, I don’t like the idea of guys losing in a situation when they outnumber the other. Doesn’t do much for Pretty Wonderful. I know that’s not necessarily the point here for them to look good, but just some random booking philosophy that triggered in my mind after reading this. I still enjoyed this though.

Main event time and even though it’s a somewhat filler title match, I can always get around Flair/Rude. Adored the spot where Flair tried to punch Rude in the abs, such an old school yet awesome thing. Rude dominating for a portion before Flair transitioned into leg work felt pretty seamless. And the ending with Missy Hyatt getting involved gives Rude a reason to be even angrier at her. It definitely seems like whilst Flair will move on, Rude may be looking at a face turn in the future. As for this particular match though, a perfectly solid way to end the show.

A pretty good show here. A title change, some more progression of some fun angles and a solid main event. Plus MENG~! Can’t complain at all with this, I know The Clash is just kind of a building blocks show, but Superbrawl certainly delivered. Every post in this thread since it has been back is just getting better in quality. Keep it up, mang.

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Stojy View Post
    Whilst I don’t mind them put together as a tandem, the thought of The American Assassins winning anything important worries me, so I’m happy to see Harlem Heat get the victory here. Sherri getting involved makes sense, and I marked for the appearance of Meng. The shades and suit is definitely a new look for him but I’m all for it. A big thumbs up here for the use of Meng alone… Plus it feels like the right team went over, even if nothing is really resolved.
    Dressy clothes with shades Meng was my favorite Meng.

Zoom E | Szumi | Old Man

Status
      Country                    Poland

Well, at least they didn't lose because of miscommunication with each other. I definitely hope this Blondes break up drags on a while though, because I'm not ready to give up on the "my best friend Br'an" promos :P it's so weird to read a 12 minute PPV match, from you, with these four studs, at such a small length

Jesus fuck you're jobbing the Blondes and now keeping the TV Title on Van fucking Hammer?? You can never criticize my booking decisions ever again, holy shit! :P

THEMONSTERMENG indeed! Let's be honest, nothing about any of this match was of any matter outside of Meng debuting and starting to do Meng things.

I'm surprised the match was 14 minutes long given you wrote it up as an essential squash match, all things considering. I can't fault the story you told at all because it's not like AA looks bad with this, and Vader is the Big Man GOAT, but the match time did seem off given the write up.

I'm okay with this booking decision and have the Nasty Boys feud go on longer. While I don't think they're anything other than shit, the heel turn and Fuller alliance means they shouldn't lose right away, so this makes sense for all. I love Sting's "threat" there. That's just amazing levels of vanilla white meat!

Bubba winning the US Title always felt like a foregone conclusion. While I appreciate the faux save only to beat Ricky down further, I think we all knew Bubba wasn't actually going turn face here at all, so it didn't actually create any drama. But I know it would for some of the viewing audience, so it works.

I thought that you definitely hit Dustin Rhodes out of the park with his underdog Babyface shtick tonight. I didn't like how overbooked the first match was, but I can still support it given it helped to create the color and story. Also think that the cowbell became so overused in the matches (part of why I didn't like the overbooking) that it lost its value, as the bullrope got all of one mention in the match only. Plus, not sure if Roma could go to the top for an Elbow Drop, and then additionally have Rhodes be able to roll away, in a Bullrope match. That didn't feel to fit in the confines of the match, given the two being tied together. So while Rhodes looked great overcoming everything, I definitely had several things that didn't seem right either.

The Flair/Rude stuff was fun, if only for your snarky self awareness kicking up another gear with the comments. You've done really great throughout the whole show with the self aware and/or sarcastic jabs, it really must be said. Stop stealing my gimmick, dammit! That's my thing! :P Missy Hyatt was always getting involved, and you booked that perfectly.

This is such a different feel than your WWE project. Obviously it's a dip in length, which I think right now, and right now only, is a dip in quality too. A project like this you're going to need some more time with the characters again to get the voices right, and to start telling the long term stories that will make the project so fun to read. It's been a fucking breeze to get through though, and it makes for a real fun change of pace to read & feedback.

I'm highly enjoying reading this so far. There's some kinks I think to still get ironed out, there's not really that one storyline to grip me in yet, but it's you, so I know that is coming hahaha

WCW 99: The Fingerpoke of Doom
    Now Playing in BTB Section!

Pretty good

Status

What? No opening video?

The perfect choice for the HOT opener. The Blonds are obviously over as your top heel tag team (they’re still the top team imo, even on this run, and until they split), and Benoit and Scorpio have the talent to get the fans onside. Thought this was booked really smartly too, with the faces getting the win because they outsmarted the heels, and not a case of the much more well regarded heel team slipping on a banana peel.

Extra marks for the way you wrote that finish, with the reveal of the tag coming AFTER. Genuinely thought you’d cocked it up initially on the finish, or at best, were setting up an ‘out’ for the Blonds by having the “illegal” man get the win, so a nice twist there in the post match. Pillman snapping and shoving Austin was the surprise. I guess, knowing irl it’s Austin that goes on to be the biggest thing ever, I expected him to be the aggressor. I still think this is only the beginning of the break up, so let’s see how it goes from here…

Van FUCKING Hammer getting the better of Raven and Triple H on his own. Imagine that sentence six years from now! I don’t care for Van Hammer much, and I’m a bit surprised this was the outcome. Hammer push incoming! Guessing Scotty/Levesque wind up heading into the tag ranks now? Love you pointing out the hammy over acting from the future Game here too. Those little touches!!

Ooof. Quite the double header of matches. I’m glad you’re writing this thread in recap form!! Credit where it’s due, this one had a slightly different formula with the never say die faces fighting from underneath throughout, and used the outside influence of Sherri late on to keep the heat going rather than just cutting off the ring. MENG~!! And what a look too!! Okay, I’m starting to like this stable now. There’s your next challengers for the tag titles, right? Plus, it’s another shady win for the Harlem Heat, so even if you flip the belts onto them, you’ve got ready made challengers for them in the Assassins.

If I’m honest, I was hoping for a little more of a back and forth battle; maybe for things to spill to the floor before the bell and for shit to hit the fan, but I’m not going to sit here and complain about Vader looking like an absolute fucking killer. That he did that to Arn Anderson is a huge statement too. Arn fighting tooth and nail against Vader is nothing but good for him too, even if he took a beating, and him getting those big kick outs when he could’ve stayed down is as much of a “win” as he could hope for.

Ultimately, as beloved as Arn may be, he’s just a stepping stone to Flair, and this was as clear a message as they come for Naitch with the final touches from Vader in this one. That gruff “FLAIR” call out on the way from the ring was awesome too. HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!!!

This might be one of those instances where the smaller recap style ends up being a detriment, because the gist of the tag title match sounded a bit overly slapstick with Sting leading Knobbs to the corner to push him out, and Knobbs coming back in every time. Started to feel like a sketch show. It was clearly something to paint Sting as the ultimate white meat babyface, and a gullible, trusting fool (by expecting Knobbs to listen each time), but it still makes him look like a fool.

If things had been spread out a little more, and it didn’t feel like every time Stings back was turned that Knobbs was coming in (and what, expecting Sting NOT to try and cut him off after the other 27 times it happened?), it might’ve hit better, but as it was … I got the intent, but the execution didn’t hit for me. That said, I DID like the idea of the match never settling down, so there’s that, lol. The fact you had three tag matches on the show and all three were all vastly different is wonderful. And the DQ outcome is fine with me. The right call, imo.

I think I’d have loved to have seen this match. Traylor was such a terrific big man, and Steamboat the ultimate babyface; great combination, imo. Thought the story was really cool too, with Steamboat seemingly about to outlast Bubba thanks to his greater engine, only to get caught, just when he had Rogers reeling. Tremendous writing. Steamboat is teflon, and the loss doesn’t hurt him, but it DOES do wonders for Big Bubba, instantly putting him into the picture as a player in WCW, with just enough chinks shown in the armour that you’d believe he can be beaten. Best booking of the night, imo.

Post match angle was good too, especially the initial tease of Big Bubba seeing sense … before putting the boots to Steamboat too!! If you give me a Meng vs. Steamboat program, I might combust. Feels like this could be a way out of a rematch – or at least a way out of prolonging the Rogers feud beyond one rematch – and transitioning the Dragon into an EPIC feud with Meng.

And if that’s the case, I wonder who’d be a logical next challenger for Rogers…

Dustin getting that juice!! I didn’t call this booking happening on this show, but I’m glad I was wrong. This was starmaking shit right here, imo. Dustin getting busted open in the first match, and overcoming the odds to get the match he wanted … then getting his poetic justice? Yeah, that was the perfect blow off to this rivalry. He’s someone that’s clearly going places … and I can’t wait to see his growth stifled by the big boot of the Hulkster in a few months!

This sounded like a really fun World Title match. I used to have the ‘93 Fall Brawl on VHS{~!!} years ago, and despite Rude vs. Flair sounding great on paper, my memory of that match was not good, but just the opening exchanges, and the urgency of this match made it sound much more appealing. Thought you did a nice job of cancelling out Flairs cheating ways so he didn’t feel like a heel, but still kept his ‘edge’ in doing what he does that makes him who he is, with that final low blow justified due to Rude’s earlier low blow.

Interested in seeing how you progress this Rude/Missy story now, as I feel that’s the most intriguing thing to come out of this situation. We know what this was for Flair, and we know (probably) what’s on the horizon for him, but the Rude/Hyatt story has my attention. That she clearly swung this in Rudes favour, and he ended up costing himself the match (essentially) by being a ruddy, bloody headstrong, bitter bloke is probably (definitely) setting this up for Rude to pin ALL the blame on her. And how can anyone get mad at early 90’s Missy!?

Solid PPV to get the ball rolling in 1994. Obviously, the really big stuff is still to come down the road, but things are gradually picking up nicely, mate.

Chikara Trainee

Status
      Country                    Scotland

I suppose I'll start by asking a simillar question to Wolf Beast, but... was the no opening video a thing back in these days? Seems very odd to just jump into a match like that.

But I'm sure this would have been a real solid match to kick off any show. Obviously you are building dissension in The Blondes, and I thought it was nicely done with the sneaky blind tag. I suppose the standard move would be one heel accidentally hitting the other, but this was a rather creative way of them making a mistake without realising it. And also the way you revealed it, with Brain being so angry about Benoit not being the legal man to having to wipe the egg off his face after the replay. A really nice touch. Thought you got everything about this opener pretty much spot on.

And much like the lack of opening video... there's no segments in-between matches either?

Eh, can't exactly say a whole lot about Van Hammer. As for Flamingo and Levesque, I guess with the miscue from Levesque (which interestingly enough could have been your miscue in the previous match and not looked out of place) that the old school friends are on a path to having a falling out? But yeah, this was a decent enough match. But my lack of knowledge on this Van Hammer chap means there ain't a whole lot I can say.

And another match with not a whole lot to say about it... until Meng showed up! And in a suit too! My what a sight! So I guess this all made sense, Harlem Heat get a win to move up the ladder and now they've got Sherri and some muscle behind them.

While it certainly seemed that Arn was a stepping stone for Vader to get to Flair, I think you perhaps went a little overboard on how bad the beating was. You said it yourself in the opening sentence of the match, Anderson is a living legend, and you also mentioned how Arn was here for revenge, so I can't help but feel he deserved a little better. The three Vaderbombs I didn't mind, but the foot on the chest was a bit far for me. But yeah, no problem with the booking, and now we get Vader and Flair again at some point.

I liked the little touch at the start of the tag titles match with Sting looking for calm while Cactus was busy looking for a brawl. A nice bit of character for both guys here. As for the match, it always amazed me in real life when challengers go for chairs and get themselves disqualified, so while I was on board with Sting yelling about them blowing their shot... The Nasty Boys are a pair of goofs, so it actually kind of makes sense and suits their characters to do something stupid like that. And I noticed you said Fuller wasn't concerned about the ending, so perhaps there's another twist to come and this feud is set to continue a while longer yet.

Bubba as US Champ is something I can get behind, as is this stable you've put together. Some real heat and muscle for Sherri now. I really don't remember much about Steamboat winning the title, so I can't comment much on how big a shock you made it out to be, but while Steamboat was a hell of a wrestler, he was never the most charasmatic, so I'm sure Bubba with Sherri et al will be more interesting to write about.

Dustin came out of this looking like a million bucks, really put him over strong here. From the writing this seems like a match long in the making, so it made a ton of sense for Dustin to overcome the odds to get the match he wanted. I think after the effort with Orndorf, you could have easily strung this out another month or so with Dustin having an easy out if Roma beat him, so to go for Dustin winning both matches really moves him up the card. I though this was really well done, Dustin came out of it looking like a superstar.

As for the main event, I appreciated the increase in the recap, was better to read with the added detail. Flair is gonna Flair, seemed pretty obvious he was going to win given what we saw from Vader earlier, so it was nice to see him with the low blow and the figure four. That was just plain old smart booking there. I thought in the post match we might see Vader and Race again, but we instead get this Rude/Missy stuff. Intrigued to see where that would be going with Rude seemingly not wanting her help but getting it anyway.

Overall, while I though the recaps maybe lacked a little detail at points, i thought the bigger, more important matches had enough to get the point across. This is a fun little thread, glad you've went back to it and I'm interested to see how it all unfolds!

Indy Talent

Status

First thing… I loved the short and concise way that you are doing your shows… makes me feel like i can adapt that style for my PPVs… those things kills me with having to write out full matches… loved the pairing of Benoit and Scorpio, but this match was all about the start to breaking up the Blondes

Simple match to get over Hammer as the HUGE babyface that WCW wanted him to be and a nice way to get something out of Scotty Flamingo… btw, you're wrong… that JP kid isn't going to do a damn thing in the business…

First off… Tony Schiavone would be pissed at you for putting Tom Zenk in a tag team with Marcus Bagwell...secondly, that name sounds like such a heel name… thirdly… THEMONSTERMENG in the shades and jacket acting as the bodyguard for Harlem Heat is something i am all about…

If i didn’t know any better, i would say that Arn owed Vader money or something… one thing that i do want to mention is that i love how you do a brief recap of the story before really getting into the match… gives me, as someone that is behind on shows, the ability to just start up and read your show without feeling lost… but booking wise.. Vader was going to win this match no matter what

The story you told of Sting basically playing Mother Dog to rambunctious puppies that wont stop playing is an amazing story… the finish or non-finish probably leads to a rematch especially with Col Parker not being concerned with this end result

Big time move making Bubba the champion and seemingly the leader of this new stable… its a good mid-card act that can have some good moments come out of it

Love that you had Roma’s mistake be the reason he has to fight Rhodes in the bull rope match… Roma being a dastardly heel by getting even more of an advantage with the cheap attack… now on to the match… wonderful payoff to the feud with Dustin getting his payback by doing the same thing that was done to him to Roma… good, old school stuff

I am confused by your main event and this is probably bc this is the first show ive read in this thread in a long time… having a baby is time consuming…. But idk who the heel in the match is… i believe it to be Rude, with Ric being the “man we love to see cheat” but im not sure… either way, the right man went over and you continued the story for Rude and Missy…

Overall, a nice easy read and a fun one at that… i thoroughly enjoyed it

Jam Up Guy

Status

Hall of Champions, April 1994

WCW Heavyweight Title
    Ric Flair (10) (December 1993 – present)
    Big Van Vader (2) (December 1992 – December 1993)

Big Bubba Rogers (1) (February 1994 – present)
    Ricky Steamboat (4) (December 1993 – February 1994)
    Dustin Rhodes (2) (October 1993 – December 1993)
    Paul Orndorff (1) (July 1993 – October 1993)
    Dustin Rhodes (1) (January 1993 – July 1993)

WCW Tag Team Title
    Sting & Cactus Jack (1) (December 1993 – present)
    Hollywood Blonds (1) (May 1993 – December 1993)
    Ricky Steamboat & Shane Douglas (1) (November 1992 – May 1993)

WCW Television Title
    Van Hammer (1) (January 1994 – present)
    Scotty Flamingo (1) (October 1993 – January 1994)
    2 Cold Scorpio (1) (August 1993 – October 1993)
    Chris Benoit (1) (May 1993 – August 1993)
    Vacant

Gene Anderson Memorial Cup
    Cactus Jack & Sting (1993)

World Championship Wrestling Hall of Fame
    Lou Thesz (1993)
    Episode Twenty-One: The Road to Spring Stampede (April 1994)

A rematch for the ages

RIC FLAIR is on top of the world. After overcoming BIG VAN VADER at Starrcade, he then bested the only man to have beaten him since his return to WCW, Rick Rude, at SuperBrawl. At long last there would be no dispute that the Nature Boy was back where he belonged, and that is at the top of World Championship Wrestling.

That was until Vader had his say, though...

We jump in progress to the end of our main event…

Non-Title Match
    JP Levesque vs. WCW Champion Ric Flair

After nearly ten minutes of the youngster putting up a far better fight than many thought, he looks for a kick to the gut… but Flair catches… and hits the Shinbreaker! He hangs on to the leg… and locks in the Figure Four! JP tries to fight it… but verbally submits!

Winner: Ric Flair in 9:04

The referee hands Flair his belt and raises his hand in victory…

… when BIG VAN VADER absolutely trucks him from behind! Flair never even saw it coming!

With HARLEY RACE barking orders from the outside, Vader clubs Flair in the face a few times, before smashing him in to corner, then lifts him up and hits him with a devastating Powerbomb. Flair’s completely unable to fight back, so Vader climbs to the second rope… VADER BOMB! What a statement from Vader!
    It took just one week for Race to explain the brutal attack...

After we see replays of Vader squashing a jobber just moments ago, we cut back to seeing him walk up the aisle towards the backstage area with Harley Race in tow, when he is cut off by Mean Gene Okerlund at the top of the ramp, who’s looking for a word.

Men Gene
    Big Van Vader, we just saw yet another dominant display from you there, demonstrating why many believe you to be almost unbeatable here in World Championship Wrestling. But after last week’s brutal assault of the one man who did manage to beat you in Ric Flair, what I’m sure the people watching at home would like to know is, why?

Vader merely snarls, so Harley Race steps forward to the microphone.

Harley Race
    You wanna know why, Mean Gene? You wanna know why Big Van Vader made a statement at Ric Flair’s expense? Because he can, that’s why. Ric Flair may be the champion, he may have beaten Vader at Starrcade, but that doesn’t mean anything to me.

Race turns to the camera and stares right down the lens.

Harley Race
    Ric Flair, you best listen up to this, ya banana-nose bastard. The only reason you’re walkin’ around with that WCW title is ‘cos-a me. Ya hear me? I’m the reason you’re walkin’ around with Big Van Vader’s gold. Y’see, at Starrcade, I made a grave, grave mistake. I’ve been apologisin’ to Vader ever since, ‘cos Starrcade was all on me. I was overcome with rage, wantin’ to teach you a lesson for beatin’ me back in ‘83. I saw the symmetry of it, and it was too beautiful. Ten years after Flair beat me at Starrcade, I was gonna lead Vader to beat Flair. I saw what Ric Flair was, is and always will be… and I decided to beat him at his own game. I got in his head. I made him put his career on the line. I got Vader to take out Arn Anderson to send a message, just like he did at SuperBrawl. I tried to be the Dirtiest Player in the Game. I wanted to throw Ric off his game, just like he threw me off mine ten years ago.

Race turns away from the camera and shakes his head, then returns.

Harley Race
    But I see now that was a mistake. When ya step in the ring with Vader… it don’t matter what your game is. The only game that matters… is his. And the name of Big Van Vader’s game is pain. I made a mistake at Starrcade, and I hold my hands up. I have pleaded for Big Van Vader to show mercy, and thank the lord, he has. He will show me mercy… but he won’t be so kind to you, Ric. You took something that belongs to him, and you’re gonna pay the consequences for your actions at Spring Stampede. And I promise ya this, Ric… I won’t be overcomplicatin’ things this time. I won’t be playin’ no games, won’t be sendin’ no messages. The only message I need is this man standin’ right next to me. And I’m gonna leave him to do what he does best, and that’s deliver untold violence and brutality. You got lucky once, Ric. But lightnin’ don’t strike the same place twice, and you won’t survive the rematch.

Vader starts roaring in the background, causing Race to chuckle to himself at the animalistic nature of his client.

Harley Race
    So April 17, 1994, Chicago, Illinois… it’s where your story ends, Ric. You had your moment in the sun, but the clouds are forming. Darkness is looming. And at SuperBrawl, April 17… darkness takes over WCW again. You thought Vader was bad before? You haven’t seen anythin’ yet.
    Vader and Race may have been pretty confident, but they had nothing on Ric Flair…

As the announcers finish talking about the previous match, they look to send us home for the evening, thanking us for watching… when the crowd suddenly start to come to life… and we see that RIC FLAIR has walked on to the stage! Dressed in an immaculately tailored grey suit and with the WCW Title slung over his shoulder, Flair takes in the response of the crowd, and waits as MEAN GENE, being the consummate pro that he is, rushes over to speak to him.

Mean Gene
    What a surprise this is, the WCW World Champion himself, “The Nature Boy” Ric Flair is out here on WCW Saturday Night. Ric Flair, we weren’t expecting to hear from you tonight, so I can only imagine that you have something you would like to say to the man who brutally assaulted you last week, Big Van Vader.

Ric Flair
    Mean… WOOO… bah gawd Gene! Big Van Vader… he is tough. Maybe the toughest son of a gun I’ve ever faced in all my years in this business, and I’ve seen ‘em all. Dory Funk, Jack Brisco, Dusty Rhodes, Terry Funk, Ricky Steamboat… all of ‘em had guts like you wouldn’t believe… but they’ve got nothin’ on Big Van Vader. At Starrcade it took everythin’ I had to survive that match. And Gene… I’ve been through a lot. I survived a bah gawd plane crash eighteen years ago… and yet when I stared in to the eyes of Big Van Vader at Starrcade, that was the first time I knew fear like it.

Flair takes a moment to look away from the camera and compose himself, but when he looks back the classic Flair intensity rages from his eyes.

Ric Flair
    But despite that fear… despite bein’ put through the greatest physical challenge of my entire life… I did what I always do. I… won! ‘Cos that’s what I do! Big Van Vader can beat me within an inch of my life… but he can’t EVER... stop me... bein’ the best! I have sacrificed more than you will ever know to get to where I am! There is one thing… ONE THING… that matters to me. It’s not this $25,000 Rolex watch, it’s not this Armani suit. It’s not the cars in my garage, the mansion in the hills. I’ve earned it all, but I’d give it all up in a second. ‘Cos there’s only one thing that matters to me… and that… is bein’... the best! And for the beatin’ I took at Starrcade, with my career on the line, in my home town, facin’ a man that no-one thought I could beat… ya know what made it all worth while? It’s when I came home, and I looked in the eyes of my five year old son, and he said “Daddy… you… are the best!” ‘Cos he knew it! Five years old! But he knew when he looked at me… when he looked at the belt… when he saw what I went through against Big Van Vader… he knew there was no doubtin’ that his old man… was… the best!

Flair loosens his tie, his face starting to burn red as his eyes grow even wider, staring right through the camera and in to Vader’s soul.

Ric Flair
    So Vader! You wanna take me out from behind?! You wanna try and beat me down all over again! Wanna make me bleed? Then be my guest, pal! ‘Cos it wasn’t the first time, and it won’t be the last! All these people in this arena, the millions of people watchin’ at home, they have seen me, day in and day out, they’ve seen me sweat, they’ve seen me bleed, and they’ve seen me give everythin’ to be the absolute greatest that there is! So you wanna face me again at Spring Stampede? Bring it on! I dare ya! Bring everythin’ you’ve got! Bring it all! I don’t care if ya have Harley play games or not! ‘Cos when ya step in to that ring with me, you know… that win… lose or draw… you will NEVER… be the greatest! I will give every last breath, every drop of blood, just like I always have! All… to be… the greatest! Starrcade was the single… biggest… challenge… of my career! Of my life! Facin’ you at Starrcade was unlike ANYTHIN’ I’d ever had to do before. But at Spring Stampede I’ll do it all over again. ‘Cos ya don’t become the greatest by sayin’ you are! Ya don’t become the best ‘cos someone says it! Ya become the greatest… ya become the best… by provin’ it every… single… night! And at Spring Stampede, I’m provin’ it all over again! WOOOO!
    And with that the stage is set. It’s the rematch from possibly the biggest Starrcade main event of all time. It’s Ric Flair, it’s Big Van Vader, it’s the WCW Title… and it’s at Spring Stampede.

It takes a monster to beat a monster...

Given three of the men in the WCW Tag Title match at SuperBrawl, it should probably have not come as any surprise that things broke down in to a disqualification. THE NASTY BOYS, led by ROBERT FULLER, had promised that things would get nasty, and nasty things got. The match hardly resembled a standard tag contest, so when the referee threw the whole affair out after Cactus was hit with a steel chair, it seemed to only be the start of the problems between these two teams.

Sting, however, had other ideas.

We head to the interview pit, where MEAN GENE is standing by.

Mean Gene
    Ladies and gentlemen, SuperBrawl saw one of the craziest matches I have seen in all my years in the business when Sting and Cactus Jack faced The Nasty Boys for the WCW Tag Team Titles. It is at this time that I would like to introduce one half of those participants, the WCW Tag Team Champions, Sting and Cactus Jack.

To a good pop from the crowd, in to shot walks STING, very much taking the lead, with CACTUS JACK quietly walking behind him, looking none too pleased about something.

Mean Gene
    Cactus, Stinger, what a brutal contest we saw between you and the Nasty Boys at SuperBrawl, although many believe that this has done little to determine anything between you. The big question on the lips of the millions watching at home is what does the future hold for you and the Tag Team Titles going forward?

It’s Sting who leans forward to answer.

Sting
    You’re absolutely right, Gene-o, people have been asking us the same question too. The Nasty Boys attacked us at Clash of the Champions, they attacked us at SuperBrawl, and people wanna know what we’re gonna do about it. And you know what we’re gonna do about it?

Sting turns to Cactus, who doesn’t look happy with what’s about to come. Sting, nonplussed, turns back to the camera.

Sting
    Lemme tell ya what we’re gonna do about it, Gene-o. We’re gonna do... nothing.

Mean Gene
    Wait just a minute there, Stinger, I can’t believe for a moment that two men such as yourselves are going to stand by and allow something like the way the Nasty Boys have treated you to go without revenge?

Sting
    Well believe it, Gene. You think I don’t wanna get my hands on the Nasty Boys? You think I don’t wanna show them that they messed with the wrong guys? You’re damn right I do. But here’s the thing… those two had their chance at the Tag Titles. I didn’t want them to get a shot in the first place, I never thought they’d earned their shot. But I gave them it anyway ‘cos I wanted to get my hands on them. At SuperBrawl, they got a shot at the Tag Titles… and they blew it. And I’ve got too much damn respect for all the other teams in this division to keep handing shots to the Nasty Boys when they’ve already proven that they can’t be trusted to play within the rules given to them. So don’t get me wrong, Gene, I want the Nasty Boys real bad. But they’re gonna earn their shot at the belts, just like everyone else in the company has to. And while they do that, me and Cactus are open to facing any two men out there who think they can take us on. Harlem Heat, 2 Cold Scorpio and Chris Benoit, the American Assassins, there’re are so many exciting teams out there right now, they’re the ones who deserve that next shot, not those two punks.

Gene nods, surprised that the champs are willing to overlook everything that’s gone before. He leans over to Cactus Jack, who is trying to look away.

Mean Gene
    Cactus Jack, do you agree with the direction that you and Sting are taking with your next challengers?

Cactus Jack
    If you’re asking me if I wanna get my hands on the Nasty Boys, then yeah I do. If you're asking if I wanna step in the ring with them and make them pay for cracking me over the head with a steel chair then yeah I do.

Jack pauses, looks at Sting, and turns back to Gene.

Cactus Jack
    But I am nothing if not a team player, Gene, and if this is the way we need to go, then so be it.

Jack turns away, making it clear that he has nothing more to say.

Mean Gene
    Well, there you have it, folks, we’re going to see a new set of challengers for the WCW Tag Team Titles, but it will not be the Nasty Boys! Cactus Jack, Sting, we thank you for your time.

Sting lifts his arms to pose for the crowd to a somewhat muted reaction, but Cactus merely walks away without any fanfare.
    So that seemed to be that… but the Nasty Boys had other ideas, as Robert Fuller explained on Worldwide.

We head to the interview pit, where MEAN GENE OKERLUND is standing by with THE NASTY BOYS, who are either side of the white suit-wearing ROBERT FULLER.

Mean Gene
    Gentlemen, we heard on Saturday Night that Sting and Cactus Jack have decided you will not be getting another shot at the WCW Tag Team Titles after blowing your shot at SuperBrawl with a disqualification.

Fuller grabs the lapels of his jacket and leans back on his heels, grinning.

Mean Gene
    Robert Fuller, if I may say, you don’t seem to be too upset by this decision.

Robert Fuller
    And why in the heck would I, Gene?

Mean Gene
    With all due respect, you chose to manage this man here and this man here to lead them to Tag Team Titles, and that now seems unlikely for the foreseeable future.

Robert Fuller
    If that’s how ya see it, Gene, then more power to ya. But if ya askin’ me, I don’t think we’ll be waitin’ for another shot for too much longer.

Mean Gene
    But Sting said-

Robert Fuller
    My mama raised me better than to interrupt people, Gene, but I’m gonna have to question where you’re goin’ with that sentence. Sting said we won’t get another shot? Good for him. But is he really the ultimate decision maker in that team?

Mean Gene
    Just what are you getting at?

Robert Fuller
    Well, it’s real simple, Gene. Sting says he wants things to be a certain way, and I respect his sense of sportsmanship, but I think we all know that he’s the jockey in that relationship there. Cactus Jack? He’s the horse. Sting can say all he wants ‘bout what he wants to do, but once that horse gets boltin’? There ain’t no tamin’ him. And if y’all ask me, I think we’re about to see that horse start buckin’ real soon. Then we’ll see who makes the decisions in that li’l team-a theirs.

Mean Gene
    So are you saying-

Robert Fuller
    I’ve said all we’re gonna say on this here matter, Gene. We thank ya for your hospitality.

Fuller walks off, waving for the Nasty Boys to follow.
    And it would take little time for Fuller’s allusions to become clear…

We join at the end of a non-title match…

Pez Whatley & Scott D’Amore vs. Cactus Jack & Sting

It may come as a surprise, but the champions very much have this one in order. After Jack tags Sting in, Sting whips Whatley in to the corner, and follows up with a Stinger Splash. Whatley drops to the mat, so Sting makes the cover, and picks up the three without using either of his finishing moves.

Winners: Sting and Cactus Jack in 2:27

The referee raises Sting’s hand in victory, and he reaches out to grab Jack’s as well… but Jack pulls it away! He’s got no interest in celebrating the win! Sting tries to find out what’s going on…

… when THE NASTY BOYS jump him from behind! Sting goes down… and Cactus races back in to save him! Cactus immediately fires back on the Nasties… only for ROBERT FULLER to attack him from behind!

But Jack no sells! He turns around and stalks Fuller who pleads for his life…

… which allows the Nasty Boys to jump him from behind! Down goes Jack!

But here comes Sting! He tries to fight back… but the element of surprise from the Nasty Boys mean they always have a numerical advantage! Once again they get the better of Sting, and then stomp down Jack.

With both the champions down, Fuller barks at the Nasty Boys to pick them up, so they do as they’re told… STEREO PILEDRIVERS! What a statement to the champions!

Brian Knobbs
    YO, STING, CACTUS… TRY OVERLOOKIN’ US NOW!

The Nasty Boys laugh, and Robert Fuller leads them out of the ring and back down the aisle, where MEAN GENE meets them to try for an impromptu interview.

Mean Gene
    Robert Fuller, the Nasty Boys, what-

Robert Fuller
    We won’t be answerin’ any questions today, Gene. We’ll leave that to the fine young gentlemen cradlin’ their necks in that there ring.

Fuller signals for the Nasty Boys to follow him, and the march to the back.

In the ring, a medical team are checking on the champions’ necks, but Cactus Jack shoves them away, refusing to be checked over, and marches over to Gene, signalling he wants to talk.

Mean Gene
    Cactus Jack, I’m not sure you’re in any state to be-

Cactus Jack
    Save it, Gene, I’m done doing what other people tell me to do! Sting might say other teams deserve a shot, but there’s no-one I want more! Brian Knobbs, Jerry Saggs, they keep coming at us. They think they’re the most dangerous team in WCW, but they’re wrong! They wanna get dirty, they wanna get nasty? They don’t wanna know how nasty I can get! Cos I-

Before Jack can go any further, Sting shuffles in to shot, holding his injured neck, and stepping to the microphone.

Sting
    Cactus, Cactus, let’s talk about this in the back-

Cactus Jack
    I’m done talking in the back! I’m done following orders! The Nasty Boys wanna try and make an example out of me, THEN GOOD LUCK! You wanna attack me at Clash of the Champions, hit me with a steel chair right between my eyes at SuperBrawl, attack me here? You do all of that ‘cos you wanna make an enemy outta me? WELL, CONGRATULATIONS! ‘Cos you’ve got what you want! But I’m not just an enemy you don’t wanna fight, I’M ONE YOU CAN’T EVEN UNDERSTAND! You want thing to get down and dirty, then bring it on!

Sting
    Hold up a minute, Jack, I-

Cactus Jack
    No, you hold up a minute, Sting! You may be able to sleep at night knowing that you can run away from them, but I-

Sting
    I’m not running away from anyone, I just think other teams-

Cactus Jack
    I DON’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT OTHER TEAMS! There’s only one team I want, and I want it deep down in my soul, Sting. I go to bed thinking about hurting them, and I wake up thinking about them. I’ve tried to keep it down, but they keep on coming after us. So let them, Sting. Let them come for us! Because it’s about time they really saw what we are capable of. Nasty Boys, you want a shot at us at Spring Stampede, YOU’VE GOT IT!

Sting
    Jack, wait-

Cactus Jack
    And you know what, Nasty Boys? You aren’t gonna hide behind disqualifications anymore. If you wanna get down and dirty then so be it, but we’re doing this thing properly. No excuses, no sneak attacks. You want weapons, you got weapons!

Sting
    Jack-

Cactus Jack
    You want anything goes, then anything goes! You want a FIGHT… YOU’VE GOT IT! FALLS COUNT ANYWHERE, SPRING STAMPEDE!

Sting turns away from the camera in exasperation.

Mean Gene
    What about that folks, the challenge has been laid for the rematch! Sting and Cactus Jack to defend their Tag Titles against the Nasty Boys in a Falls Count Anywhere Match, April 17, Spring Stampede!

Sting returns to shot and leans in to the mic.

Sting
    Wait a minute, Gene, things are getting carried away a little here-

Cactus Jack
    YOU’RE GOD DAMN RIGHT THEY ARE! AND AT SPRING STAMPEDE THE NASTY BOYS ARE GONNA SEE THEY MESSED WITH THE WRONG TEAM!

Sting
    But Jack, listen to me! I don’t think we should face them at all until they’ve proven they deserve the shot more than the other teams on the roster, let alone sign up to something like a Falls Count Anywhere Match! Even if we do give them a shot, don’t reward them for their behaviour! Do it on our terms, play to our strengths!

Jack turns to his partner, allowing the furious energy to dissipate as he talks far quieter in a moment that would surely usually take place in the back, had cooler heads prevailed.

Cactus Jack
    Do you remember why you chose me to be your partner?

Sting
    Of course. The Hollywood Blonds needed to be taught a lesson.

Cactus Jack
    And so do the Nasty Boys. You tried to do things your way against the Blonds before me, and it didn’t work. We tried your way at SuperBrawl and it didn’t work. You chose me ‘cos I’m not like all those other guys you teamed with. You wanted me to fight violence with violence. And that’s what we need to do here. If the Nasty Boys want to get crazy, let’s show them just how damn crazy we can be. And then we’ll see who makes it out the other side. For better or worse, this is exactly what you wanted when you chose me. Trust me on this.

Sting looks away, mulling it over, and turns back.

Sting
    Okay, Jack. You wanna fight fire with fire, I trust you. I don’t wanna go in to a battle like that with them, but if I have to, there’s no-one I’d sooner go in to it with. Let’s do it.

Sting offers his hand… and Cactus shakes it!

Mean Gene
    Alright! There we have it folks, the challenge is officially laid down! The Nasty Boys, Sting and Cactus Jack, Falls Count Anywhere, April 17 at Spring Stampede! Ladies and gentlemen, you are not gonna wanna miss this one!

As one team forms, another ends?

It looks like it may not just be the Tag Team Champions who are struggling to see eye-to-eye.

After losing their belts to Sting and Jack at Starrcade, THE HOLLYWOOD BLONDS have hit a terrible run of form. After losing to the Nasty Boys at Clash of the Champions, they underestimated the untested team of CHRIS BENOIT and 2 COLD SCORPIO at SuperBrawl, resulting in an embarrassing loss. After the match STEVE AUSTIN and BRIAN PILLMAN nearly came to blows, with Pillman storming out.

For Scorpio and Benoit, it would be something of an epiphany. Both of them have had their successes in WCW, in particular the TV Title reigns they had back when their were opponents and not allies, but the potential they saw when they worked together at SuperBrawl hinted at something much bigger. Realising how much they could achieve together as opposed to going at it alone, WCW has been invited to welcome the latest full-time tag team to it’s ranks. And, like any good full time team, they need a name. It’s the early-mid 90s, and they’re fun, exciting babyfaces who like wearing matching green and purple neon tights. There’s only one thing they can be called. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the team with the most awesomely awesome name in wrestling… FULL FORCE! Yeeeeaaahhhhh!

Things are somewhat less awesome with their opponents from SuperBrawl, however. Steve Austin has tried to help things blow over, but it seems an almost unrecoverable chasm is forming between the Team of the Nineties. That’s when Mean Gene, ever the investigative journalist, chose to interview them both on an episode of WCW Saturday Night.

We head to the interview pit, where Mean Gene is standing by.

Mean Gene
    Ladies and gentlemen, it brings me great pleasure to introduce to you, the former WCW Tag Team Champions, “Flyin’” Brian Pillman, “Stunning” Steve Austin, the Hollywood Blonds!

STEVE AUSTIN and BRIAN PILLMAN walk in to shot, albeit from different directions, and stand with Mean Gene in between them.

Mean Gene
    Gentlemen, it cannot be ignored that the two of you seem to struggling to get on the same page as of late, leading many to speculate that maybe your time as a team may be coming to an end. Do you have anything to say about those suggestions?

Steve Austin
    First of all, ya can show some damn respect to who ya talkin’ to, Gene, ‘cos you’re talkin’ to a couple-a swell guys here, ya hear me? Ya yap your gums like me and my best friend Br’an here are gonna give a damn what anyone has to say about us, when everyone knows that we ain’t just the Team of the Nineties, we’re the Team of All Time.

Mean Gene
    That’s quite the statement to make, Mr. Austin, when you think of all the teams that have walked these hallowed walls over the years.

Steve Austin
    And all those other teams can bite me for all I care, ‘cos they couldn’t hold the Hollywood Blonds jock strap. There’s only one team who matter in Dubya Cee Dubya, and you’re lookin’ at ‘em.

Mean Gene
    Be that as it may, you still haven’t answer my question about your future of the team?

With that, Austin frustratedly turns away, so Gene offers the mic to Brian Pillman.

Brian Pillman
    There’s not a person on the face of this planet that’s more frustrated than me and Steve about the problems we’ve been having lately-

Steve Austin
    They ain’t problems, son, every team has ‘em from time to time. It’s just the price-a bein’ the best, I tell ya.

Brian Pillman
    I know, I know, and I agree with Steve-

Steve Austin
    Your best friend Steve.

Brian Pillman
    Uh- right, my best friend Steve, that there isn’t another team on the planet who can do what we can do! The only problem is we aren’t doing it right now, and that’s starting to eat me up inside, Mean Gene.

Mean Gene
    So what are you suggesting? That the days of the Hollywood Blonds are over?

Steve Austin
    Ya push me any further, son, and I swear to the Lord that I’ll make ya-

Brian Pillman
    Steve, cool it. It’s alright. I get why Mean Gene’s asking, and I get why everyone wants to know. You’re right, Steve, we are the best team in the world, maybe of all time, and that’s something to be damn proud of. But right now, I just don’t think we’re clicking like we should.

Mean Gene
    So what are you saying?

Austin looks like he’s about to explode at Gene, so the interviewer backs off a little in fear. Austin turns to Pillman, who stares straight at him.

Steve Austin
    This was your damn idea, Br’an, you’re the one who’s gonna have to say it.

Pillman sighs, so Gene offers him the mic.

Brian Pillman
    Steve Austin is my best friend, and there’s nothing that can change that.

Steve Austin
    Ya got that right. And Br’an will always be my best friend too. Ya writin’ this down, Okerlund?

Mean Gene
    I’m not writing any of this down, it’s TV.

Brian Pillman
    But Steve and I can’t keep going like we are. So I’ve had time to think about it, and I’ve talked to Steve a lot, and we’ve decided… that the Hollywood Blonds… will not be splitting up.

Austin nods in agreement.

Mean Gene
    Hold up just a minute, if you’re not splitting up then what was the point of this interview?

Steve Austin
    I swear to God, Okerlund…

Brian Pillman
    The reason, Mean Gene, is that even though we ain’t splitting up, we clearly can’t carry on like we were. If we’re gonna get back on top of the world, we need to get all this mess behind us. That’s why me and Steve have agreed… that at Spring Stampede on April 17, the Rosemont Horizon… it’s gonna be Steve Austin… versus Brian Pillman… in a match.

Austin sadly shakes his head.

Mean Gene
    Is this official?

Brian Pillman
    Earlier today, Mean Gene. All signed off and made official. Me and Steve, one-on-one.

Steve Austin
    Lemme make this clear to ya, Okerlund, this ain’t a break up. Me and Br’an are best friends, we’re the greatest tag team in the world, and we ain’t breakin’ up, no matter what you might want.

Mean Gene
    It doesn’t impact me either way-

Steve Austin
    Shut up. This ain’t a break up. We’re still best friends. So me and my best friend Br’an will have our match, we’ll let the best man win, and then, when it’s all said and done, we’ll go back to doin’ what we always do, which is bein’ best friends, and bein’ the best damn team in Dubya Cee Dubya history. Ain’t that right, Br’an?

Austin offers a hand over Okerlund’s head, so Pillman high fives him, with Austin accidentally hitting Okerlund’s head.

Brian Pillman
    Damn straight, Steve. It’s gonna be an honour to face you at Spring Stampede.
    Despite making it seem like things were okay between them in that interview, the coming weeks indicated that way not be the case. While Brian Pillman picked up an extremely impressive three-minute victory over PAUL DIAMOND, Steve Austin didn’t have quite so much luck, struggling to put away MARK STARR. As the match passed the six-minute point with Starr actually finding his way back in to the contest, Austin panicked, and kicked Starr between the legs. The referee was left with no choice but to call for a DQ, meaning Austin officially lost the match.

So infuriated was he by the loss, when Austin and Pillman teamed up the week before Spring Stampede in a tag match against Diamond and Starr, Austin couldn’t help but get himself disqualified again as he ruthlessly beat the hell out of Starr. Having been handed a loss from his own partner’s anger issues, Pillman got in Austin’s face and the two almost came to blows once more, indicating that this battle between the Blonds might not be the exhibition both men were keen to make it sound like...

Making Sensational Enemies

What a time it is to be a member of the SENSATIONALS. The stable, led by SHERRI, had quite the SuperBrawl, with BIG BUBBA ROGERS winning the U.S. Title from RICKY STEAMBOAT, HARLEM HEAT beating THE AMERICAN ASSASSINS, and they had a new member join their ranks in the terrifying monster MENG.

Meng made quite the impression in his debut appearance, barrelling through Ricky Steamboat as he offered a handshake to Big Bubba after their title match. Wearing a suit and sunglasses combination, Sherri has made it clear that he’s been hired specifically as her bodyguard. While she’s managing Bubba and Heat to gold, she’s hiring Meng to take care of her problems.

Ricky Steamboat remains one of those problems.

He may have been a classy enough guy to offer a handshake to Bubba after everything they’d been through, but he’s not about to take something like a Meng sneak attack lying down. After Meng makes his debut on WCW Saturday Night with a squash victory over the mighty Ron Oakes, Steamboat looks for a measure of revenge on the monster, throwing everything he has at him… and getting laid out nonetheless. With a brand new unstoppable monster and a fired-up babyface wanting revenge, the only solution is a match between them at Spring Stampede. And as Steamboat says, once he’s taken care of Meng, he’s coming right back for Bubba and the U.S. Title he just lost.

Not that Big Bubba gets the night off from defending his title. While Steamboat may be otherwise engaged, there’s no shortage of people wanting a shot at the U.S. belt. And it just so happens one of them is still waiting for a rematch from when he lost the belt, and is coming off not one but TWO wins at SuperBrawl.

We catch the end of a match between DUSTIN RHODES and SGT BUDDY LEE PARKER. Parker gives as good as he gets for much of the contest, but Dustin is riding a crazy wave of momentum right now, and that sees him through, hitting a Bulldog for the three count.

After the match he poses for the crowd as MEAN GENE gets in the ring with a microphone.

Mean Gene
    “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes, yet another hugely impressive victory for you in a string of them these last few weeks. Having finally gotten revenge over Paul Orndorff and Paul Roma at SuperBrawl, what does the future hold for you here in World Championship Wrestling?

Dustin Rhodes
    Y’know, Mean Gene, these last few months have been some-a the hardest in my career so far, I can’t lie. Gettin’ stabbed in the back by Paul hit me real hard, and then I lost my U.S. Title to my good friend Ricky Steamboat as well. But after SuperBrawl, I’ve put one-a them wrongs right, I’ve showed Paul Roma what happens when ya mess with “The Natural” Dustin Rhodes”, and now it’s time to right that other wrong.

Mean Gene
    Are you suggesting a shot at Big Bubba Rogers and the United States Heavyweight Title?

Dustin Rhodes
    You’re damn right I am, Gene. Now, don’t get me wrong, I wanted to face Ricky Steamboat for that belt. That’s all I wanted, gettin’ in the ring against a friend and competin’ to see who is the best. But it looks like that ain’t gonna happen, not yet anyway. So Ricky, if you’re watchin’ this at home, I’ve got a message for ya. While you take care-a Meng, I’m gonna win my U.S. Title back. And when I do, I’m givin’ you the first shot!

Mean Gene
    That’s quite the offer to make to Ricky Steamboat, but is there a chance you’re looking past the champion? Big Bubba Rogers is still unbeaten here in World Championship Wrestling.

Dustin Rhodes
    I’m not lookin’ past no-one, Gene. Big Bubba’s a hell of a talent, ain’t no denyin’ that. Anyone who can beat my boy Ricky is someone who has my respect. But ya know why Bubba ain’t lost yet? It’s ‘cos he ain’t faced me. And I want that belt back, Gene, lord lemme tell ya I want that belt back, and I ain’t gonna rest ‘til I got it. So I’ll be takin’ Bubba real serious, but it ain’t gonna matter in the end anyhow. Now I’m back on track, now I’m rockin’ and rollin’ once again, Big Bubba can’t stop me from gettin’ what I want.

Mean Gene
    Well, Dustin, you certainly seem confident. Ladies and gentlemen, Dustin Rhodes!
    It didn’t take long for the match to be signed off for Spring Stampede, and the U.S. Title Match between Big Bubba Rogers and Dustin Rhodes is official.

While there were many who were impressed with Dustin’s confident attitude, his friend Ricky Steamboat seemed less sure. The Dragon warned Dustin that Big Bubba was one of the hardest opponents he’d faced in his career, and that Dustin was going to have to bee ”100% note perfect” if he wanted to take the belt at SuperBrawl. Dustin, however, stuck to his guns. He’s winning the belt from Bubba at SuperBrawl, and he’s giving the first shot to Steamboat.

With Steamboat taking something of a mentoring role for Dustin, it should come as little surprise that he’s also started looking out for the two other men struggling with the Sensationals at the moment; the team of MARCUS ALEXANDER BAGWELL and TOM ZENK, better known as the American Assassins. The Assassins have now been screwed by Harlem Heat on two successive PPVs, but through Steamboat’s guidance they’re not getting distracted with notions of revenge, and rather are focusing on getting another match with them to prove they are the superior team.

With the four men growing close through Steamboat’s mentorship, finally the Sensationals can’t get away with the number’s game. And that counted for a lot in the final Worldwide before Spring Stampede when all 8 men came together…

Dustin Rhodes, Marcus Alexander Bagwell, Ricky Steamboat & Tom Zenk vs.” The Sensationals” (Big Bubba Rogers, Booker T, Meng & Stevie Ray) w/Sherri

What a huge match up this is so close to the PPV! The fans are rabid in their support of the hot young (plus Steamboat) babyface team, and absolutely love seeing them stand up to the far bigger group of monsters that Sherri has put together. Unfortunately for the babyface team, the size and power advantage means they have much of the match in control, having isolated Tom Zenk from the rest of his team. Steamboat takes charge on trying to cheerlead for his protege, which allows Zenk to make the tag to Dustin and all hell breaks loose. With just days until the PPV, no-one in the match can restrain themselves, and it collapses in to a wild brawl. In the melee, Marcus Bagwell blind tags Dustin and climbs to the top as now legal man Booker T turns around… Bagwell leaps off… and lands a (clunky) Diving Crossbody! He lands in a cover...1… 2… 3!

Winners: Dustin Rhodes, Marcus Alexander Bagwell, Ricky Steamboat & Tom Zenk in 12:02

What a huge win for Bagwell! As the bell rings Booker and the rest of the Sensationals can’t believe it, but one of the American Assassins finally got one over on Sherri’s crew! Tom Zenk rolls in the ring and hugs his partner, and Tony puts over what a huge win this might prove to be for such a promising tag team.

The Assassins raise each other’s hands in victory and turn around… IN TO A DOUBLE CLOTHESLINE FROM MENG! Both men go down! Dustin and Steamboat realise what’s about to go down and try to dive in the ring, but Booker and Stevie tackle them to the mat and pin them down, allowing Meng to have his way with them (so to speak). Ricky and Dustin are forced to watch on as Meng systematically tears Bagwell and Zenk apart, nearly knocking their heads off their shoulders with Savate Kicks while Sherri gleefully watches on. Steamboat and Dustin try to wriggle free to help, but there’s nothing they can do as Sherri orders Bubba to get involved. He drags Bagwell to the outside… AND NAILS HIM WITH A BUBBA SLAM ON THE OUTSIDE! Meng pulls Zenk up and drags him to the apron… TONGAN DEATH GRIP! Zenk fights for his life as Meng drains the life out of him… then shoves him off the apron… SENDING HIS LIMP BODY CRASHING IN TO THE METAL BARRIERS!

Having well and truly taken Steamboat’s proteges out of the equation, Sherri gets in Dustin and Steamboat’s faces, with the camera close enough (and the crowd small enough) that we hear what she has to say without a microphone.

Sherri
    You see that, you two? That’s what happens when you upset the Sensationals! This Sunday, you’re finished!
    If it was personal before, it sure as hell is now. Dustin had seemed (over?) confident of his chances of winning the belt back, but the beatdown of the Assassins may have finally brought things back in to focus. And for Steamboat, having invested a lot of time in supporting the careers of Zenk and Bagwell these last couple of months, he’s got to go to war with the unstoppable beast Meng without back up… and with revenge very much at the front of his mind.

Enforcing Revenge

It’d been a long road just to lose to Vader at SuperBrawl for ARN ANDERSON. After being taken out by Race, Vader, Orndorff and Roma at Clash of the Champions in November of last year, he received his medical clearance in time to take on the monstrous former WCW Champion at SuperBrawl… and was beaten clean as a whistle.

Most men wouldn’t beat themselves up over losing to Big Van Vader. After all, only one man has beaten him in over a year. But Arn Anderson isn’t anyone. And when he wants revenge for sick sneak attack, he’s going to get it one way or another. And he had a chance to start on that journey in the main event of WCW Worldwide…

Arn Anderson vs. Paul Roma w/Harley Race & Paul Orndorff

Despite Roma posing a significantly different challenge than Vader, Arn is just as aggressive in this one against Roma as he was the monster. He beats him all around the ring, making him pay for his part in putting Arn on the shelf for all those months. With help from Race and Orndorff, Roma manages to cheat his way back in to the contest, and gradually works Arn over. Arn, though, isn’t going to be stopped. He fights back, and eventually nails Roma with a DDT… 1… 2… 3!

Winner: Arn Anderson in 7:50

Mightily impressive win for Arn against the up-and-comer there, and possibly a small sense of justice being served for Arn at last. He has his arm raised by the referee… but he doesn’t see PAUL ORNDORFF climb in the ring and rush over for a sneak attack! Orndorff runs at Arn…

… Arn turns around…

… AND PLANTS ORNDORFF WITH A SPINEBUSTER! Slick as you like!

Harley, seeing his Pretty Wonderful clients are up against it, grabs Orndorff by the leg and drags him out of the ring, and does the same for Roma. With both men barely able to stand up, Race calls for backstage support to help them to the back, obviously not wanting to physically help them himself. As he does so, Arn merely points at Race, telling him what to expect. He’s coming for him.

And, of course, sensing an opportunity at a scoop, here comes everyone’s favourite investigative journalist, MEAN GENE.

Mean Gene
    Arn Anderson, what an impressive victory that was against one of the men responsible for putting you on the shelf for all those months. You must be feeling a huge measure of satisfaction at finally getting one over on them?

Sweating profusely and breathing heavily, Arn leans in to the mic, but without taking his eyes off the retreating Harley Race.

Arn Anderson
    I’ve been thinking about doing that to Paul Roma for some time, Man Gene. It’s been four months since those cowards attacked me from behind, and it’s been four months of sleepless nights, just thinking over and over again how it’d feel to eventually show them what happens when you mess with Arn Anderson. Now I know Paul Roma’s not ever gonna forget that now he’s been spiked on his head, and that leaves me feeling… empty.

Arn hangs his head, then looks up with a fire in his eyes.

Arn Anderson
    I’m not a greedy man, Gene. I try to be happy with what I’ve got. But taking out Roma just now? It’s not enough. It doesn’t whet that overwhelming thirst I have to put Race and his cronies in their place. I’m not a man who says this often, but that just wasn’t enough for me. So what do I do? Do I go home to my wife, my kids, and try to move on with my life? Or do I keep on fighting, hoping that something else will make me feel complete? I know the answer, Gene. I always know the answer. I keep… going. Paul Roma was a start, but that’s all he was. Paul Orndorff, Harley Race… and yes, even Big Van Vader… I won’t rest until you’re taken care of.

Mean Gene
    So what’s next for Arn Anderson? We’ve already heard that Big Van Vader will be occupied at Spring Stampede facing your and my good friend, Ric Flair.

Arn Anderson
    I’ll get to Big Van Vader one day. Don’t you worry about that, it will happen. He’s one hell of an athlete, the closest thing I’ve ever seen to unbeatable, but he’s not untouchable. And Mean Gene, I swear to you on the lives of my children, I will get to him eventually, and when I do, I’ll make his life hell. But until then...

Arn turns to the camera, with Race having long since left the stage.

Arn Anderson
    Harley… you’re the so-called brains behind this operation. You’re the one who wanted me taken out as a way of getting to the champ. You can hide behind your boys for a while, but your time is running out. At Spring Stampede? I want you, Race. And I know just how to get it. You’re not gonna hand yourself over willingly, you’re too much of a coward these days for that. But if I can beat Paul Orndorff… I want you in the ring for five minutes, Race. No interference, no games. I beat Orndorff, and it’s me and you, five minutes, anything goes. I’m done waiting, and I’m done with you hiding. It’s time to pay the price, Race, and it’s happening at Spring Stampede.
    Arn knew what he was doing with his promo. By challenging the manhood of a nine-time World Champion like Harley Race, he didn’t leave him much of a choice. Despite Arn’s words, Race isn’t the type to want to be seen as a coward, and the challenge was accepted. Not that Race thinks Arn can get past Orndorff in the first place, of course...

The Real Television Champion

The WCW Television Title has seen it’s fair share of controversy these last few months. After being the only title to be retained at Starrcade (when SCOTTY FLAMINGO beat Chris Benoit), things have been getting out of hand. Scotty put the title on the line in an Open Challenge at Clash of the Champions, which was answered by his former bodyguard VAN HAMMER, who won the belt in less than three minutes. Flamingo claimed he wasn’t ready for the match and as such the result shouldn’t stand, and brought in his old private school buddy JP LEVESQUE to help him out in a rematch at SuperBrawl.

Unfortunately for Flamingo, the outside help ended up costing him. Levesque, trying to help Scotty, reached in to the ring to trip Hammer, but caught Flamingo by mistake, and allowed Hammer to pick up the win. Still Scotty finds himself without the TV Title.

Despite picking up the win, Van Hammer was still not satisfied. After weeks of beatdowns leading up to SuperBrawl from Levesque, he challenged him to a TV Title match on Saturday Night, and it was, like Scotty at the Clash, a challenge he’d live to regret…

WCW Television Title
    JP Levesque w/Scotty Flamingo vs. Van Hammer (c)

Given his close friendship with Flamingo, it should come as no surprise that Levesque is as much of a coward as his buddy. Hammer smashes through his challenger for the start of the match, but through a timely trip from Flamingo (catching the intended person, unlike Levesque at SuperBrawl), JP is able to take over and work him over with his rookie offence.

Any shot at a comeback from Hammer is helpfully curtailed by interference by Scotty, allowing Levesque to dominate much of the match. With things looking good he tries for an Indian Death Lock, but Hammer kicks him away and starts to take over. Flamingo, sensing the match falling away from his friend, grabs the TV Title from the side of the ring and hops on to the apron… Levesque distracts the referee… AND SCOTTY CLOCKS HAMMER IN THE FACE WITH THE BELT! Hammer goes down, so Scotty drops from the apron, allowing Levesque to lock in the Indian Death Lock… but Hammer is out cold! The referee checks to see if he submits… but seeing no sign of life… HE CALLS FOR THE BELL!

Winner and new WCW Television Champion: JP Levesque in 8:24

The youngster has done it! Just a month after debuting, JP Levesque has done what Flamingo couldn’t and has won the TV Title! What a future is in store for this kid!

Despite what could be a career-making victory, Levesque doesn’t seem all that impressed. In fact, he acts as though this is all expected, like a man of his standing should be winning title matches this early in his career. Flamingo, still holding the TV Title from the belt shot to Hammer, rolls in to the ring, pumping his fists and slapping his friend on his chest.

So Levesque asks to be handed the belt.

And there it is. Flamingo had been lost in the moment of costing his hated rival the title, but now he’s faced with the reality of the situation. The belt he feels he should never have lost now needs to go around the waist of his best friend, the man he brought to World Championship Wrestling. Levesque starts to demand that Scotty hands over the belt, but Flamingo freezes, unsure what to do. Levesque tries to snatch it away, but Scotty hangs on, leading to a tug of war between the friends…

… so here comes “Da Man” MEAN GENE OKERLUND to try and clear things up. What a hero.

Mean Gene
    JP Levesque, what an incredible victory so early in your career, but clearly one that did not finish without controversy.

Still Levesque and Scotty hang on to the belt, even with Gene thrusting a mic in JP’s face.

JP Levesque
    I don’t give a damn about your interview, I want my belt!

Levesque gives it one huge pull, and finally yanks the belt out of Scotty’s hands. Flamingo looks despondent at losing his grip on the belt (metaphors~!), so Gene thrusts a microphone in his face.

Mean Gene
    Scotty Flamingo, your best friend just won the Television Title with your help, and yet you seem reluctant to allow him his belt, even if he gained it through illegitimate means.

Scotty Flamingo
    And I lost it through illegitimate means! I should still be the champion!

JP Levesque
    And yet, you’re not. I am.

Scotty Flamingo
    Hand it over! You wouldn’t even be in WCW if it wasn’t for me! I’m the real TV Champion, I still haven’t been beat fairly in a scheduled match for it!

JP Levesque
    No, Scotty, I am the real TV Champion…

Levesque holds his new belt up high for all to see.

JP Levesque
    … and this is the proof of it.

Levesque smirks, clearly happy with himself, and walks out of the ring.

Scotty Flamingo
    Wait a minute! I brought you to WCW! I just gave you that win! You cost me my shot, and I won you yours! This isn’t fair! Come back here!
    JP Levesque wouldn’t come back. Having gotten what he wanted out of Flamingo, and as our new TV Champion, Levesque began defending his belt on TV, picking up wins over mostly prelim guys, while apparently refusing to return Scotty’s calls.

It’s not just Scotty who believes himself to be the “real TV Champion”, though. Just as Scotty lost his last TV Title match through interference, Van Hammer also lost his through illegitimate means. And with an automatic rematch built in to the contract for the Saturday Night Match, Van Hammer cashes in with a shot at JP at Spring Stampede.

And there we have it. Three men, all trying to claim they are the “real TV Champion”, and yet only two of them will face off at Spring Stampede. Levesque, now concerned that he may have to face Van Hammer alone, tries to build bridges with Flamingo. He offers him the next shot at the TV Title for ”repeating the magic” from Saturday Night should he help him retain the title. Scotty seems unsure of whether he can trust his friend to follow through on the offer, and things only get more complicated when Van Hammer offers a truce to Scotty, saying he’ll let bygones be bygones if he helps Hammer win back the belt at Spring Stampede.

At this point it seems almost nailed on that we’ll see Scotty at ringside in the TV Title match at the pay-per-view. But the big question is… who will he help? Will it be the friend he brought to WCW who has already proven he can’t be trusted? Or his nemesis who is offering an olive branch?

You can’t teach manners

After weeks of being put through etiquette school by LORD STEVEN REGAL, BOBBY EATON seemed to have finally graduated when Regal became satisfied with his evolved linguistic skills and general decorum. To put Eaton through his paces, Regal signed them up for a tag match on WCW Worldwide. Little did they realise, they were about to be placed against the hottest young team in WCW today…

Bobby Eaton & Lord Steven Regal vs. FULL FORCE~! (2 Cold Scorpio & Chris Benoit)

With Benoit and Scorpio now wearing matching fluorescent gear, there seems to be little that can stand in the way of the hot new team in WCW. Indeed, Regal and Eaton find themselves desperately outmatched for much of the early parts of the contest, with Scorpio and Benoit showing just why they’re so highly regarded right now.

Eventually a cheap shot from Regal brings things back to the heels, and they seamlessly work together to grind Scorpio down. They cut the ring in half and entirely isolate the high-flier from his partner, and having given him little opportunity to break free they try to finish him off… but Scorpio rolls through… and tags in Benoit!

Benoit, all kinds of fired up from waiting on the apron, rushes in with his high-intensity offence, getting the fans on their feet and pooping for every chop, Clothesline and Dropkick. Everything Regal and Eaton throw at him he has an answer for, so Eaton, who is supposed to be a refined gentlemen these days, snaps. He rolls to the outside and angrily snatches the Union Jack flag Regal had brought to ringside. He rolls it up lines up a shot at Benoit with the staff… but Benoit sees it coming… ducks… and Eaton cracks Regal in the face! Down goes Regal… and Benoit Dropkicks Eaton off the apron! He tags in Scorpio who rushes to the top rope… 450 SPLASH! He makes the cover… 1… 2… 3!

Winners: Full Force in 10:28

The crowd pop big for the babyface victory, and they make sure to milk it for all it’s worth, leaping up on the turnbuckle and pumping the crowd up!

Eaton, however, is left to drag Regal out of the ring and try to help him to the back. Part way up the ramp Regal realises what happened… AND PIMP SLAPS EATON IN THE FACE! After all that schooling, Eaton’s angry Southerner-side still came out… and it cost he and Regal the match!
    Thanks to the loss, things quickly went back to square one for poor Bobby, only this time things are going to need to step up a level. You obviously can’t teach someone to be a gentlemen while in the US… so Regal takes Eaton to the homeland of good manners… the United Kingdom. ”Now, repeat after me… how now brown cow.”

The Slippery Slope of Authority Figures Begins...

In news that will delight future WWE script writers for years to come, the booking crutch that is kayfabe authority figures truly gets underway here in WCW with the announcement of NICK BOCKWINKEL as the new on-air WCW President. Aside from the announcement and a quick promo to put over Spring Stampede, Bockwinkel isn’t seen on WCW television at all, and we’re told will continue not to see him unless absolutely necessary. But nonetheless, he’s very much there when needed...

From The Observer...

“The angle with RICK RUDE dropping MISSY HYATT before SuperBrawl has taken on a convenient turn from a storyline perspective for WCW this week when Hyatt was fired for unprofessional behaviour.

Hyatt, 30, has been having issues with the locker room culture at World Championship Wrestling for some time, and the breaking point is said to have been when she went above WCW management heads in order to negotiate a new deal for herself. Sources from WCW say Hyatt’s behaviour had already started to become untenable after the hiring of Sherri Martel, who is being given a bigger push than Hyatt.

It is believed the original plan from the Rude/Hyatt break up angle was for Hyatt to return with a new boyfriend to feud against the soon-to-be-face-turned Rude, with Dustin Rhodes the surprising name being floated. However, with Hyatt being moved on, it is expected the angle will be entirely dropped and Rude will continue without a valet for the foreseeable future, and Dustin has been moved back in to the U.S. Title frame.

Rude does not currently have an opponent set for this Sunday’s Spring Stampede show.”

Also From The Observer...

It’s an Observer double-header! Lucky you!

Were you wondering why everyone’s favourite team FULL FORCE~! aren’t in action at the PPV? Well, one-half of the team has been busy elsewhere...

This week saw NJPW host the first ever Super J-Cup, with Wild Pegasus, also known in WCW as Chris Benoit, winning the one-night tournament.

The event at the sold out Sumo Hall in Tokyo, Japan pitted the very best Junior Heavyweights in the world, and will surely go down as one of the all time greatest events. Pegasus picked up the win in a 5 star contest against Great Sasuke, who also bested Jushin Liger in a 4 ¾ star matched in the Semi Finals.

(…)

Benoit splits his time between touring with NJPW and working with WCW. While he’s currently known predominantly as a tag wrestler in the US with his regular partner 2 Cold Scorpio, it is expected he will continue to work as a Junior Heavyweight in Japan at the same time. He is also expected to take part in NJPW’s Best of the Super Juniors tournament in May and June, meaning he will be available for the Slamboree and Bash at the Beach pay-per-views, but will likely be missing from TV during the build to Clash of the Champions.

Meanwhile, Up North...

The WWF hosted the 10th edition of Wrestlemania, live from Madison Square Garden:

• Bret Hart def Yokozuna (c) to win the WWF Title
    • Razor Ramon (c) def Shawn Michaels in a Ladder Match for the Intercontinental Title
    • Earthquake def Adam Bomb
    • Yokozuna (c) def Lex Luger for the WWF Title by DQ
    • Men on a Mission def The Quebecers (c) to win the Tag Titles
    • Alundra Blaze (c) def Leilani Kai for the Women’s Title
    • Randy Savage def Crush in a Falls Count Anywhere Match
    • Bam Bam Bigelow & Luna Vachon def Dink and Doink the Clown
    • Owen Hart def Bret Hart

Spring Stampede 1994 Confirmed Card

Big Van Vader vs. Ric Flair (c)

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles
    Cactus Jack & Sting (c) vs. The Nasty Boys

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship
    Big Bubba Rogers (c) vs. Dustin Rhodes

WCW Television Championship
    JP Levesque (c) vs. Van Hammer

Battle of the Blonds!
    Brian Pillman vs. Steve Austin

If Arn Wins, He Gets 5 Minutes With Harley Race
    Arn Anderson vs. Paul Orndorff

Grudge Match
    Meng vs. Ricky Steamboat

Pretty good

Status

Spring Stampede 1994

I expected this to be standard ‘monster heel wants his rematch’, so the twist with Race taking the blame for the loss and attributing it to getting obsessed with wanting to retire Flair was really fucking awesome. Especially when I was beginning to get disappointed at the start of the promo as Race just said Vader attacked Flair because he could. That would’ve been fine, I guess, but this added wrinkle to proceedings is tremendous. Really good promo from Flair too, both putting over the threat of Vader, whilst also building himself up; magnificent.

With you going to the rematch now, I imagine the winner of this is being set up for the impending debut of Hogan. And with Hogan on his way, as much as the Flair match makes commercial sense, it was done in real life, PLUS, Hogan vs. Monster Heels is the Hogan formula … and right now, there’s no better monster heel than Vader. Also, I don’t see you having Vader lose twice to Flair either, PLUS, Flair has been champion many times before, and losing the belt after 4 months is no different than him holding onto it for a year at this point.

That said, I suspect Harley Race won’t be at ringside at all for this one (more on that later), and as a result, there’s no one to guide/control the big man, and he winds up either getting himself DQ’ed or makes some colossal fuck up to hand Flair the victory. Either way, I think there’s one more meeting to squeeze out of these two, so by hook or by crook, RIC FLAIR retains the gold. While Race blames himself for the Starrcade loss, it’ll be made clear that Vader still needs him by his side in this one.

There’s some great little details in these segments, such as Sting and Cactus winning their enhancement match without having to bust out a finisher, and the Splash being enough to get the win. All in all, the Falls Count Anywhere stip was the logical next step, but you done a brilliant job in getting to that point. Lesser people would’ve just announced the match for reasons, but there’s a great story to how you reached your destination, which also helped progress the Sting/Cactus relationship.

Also, it’s funny; Sting is the babiest baby face, but if this was set in 2020, you’d be convinced Sting would be getting boo’ed out of the building for using common sense and not rewarding the Nasties with a title shot. Jack eventually taking control of the situation and demanding they defend the titles in a match that definitely suits the Nasty Boys was to be expected after the Fuller promo – clearly knowing how to get to the champs – but the added brilliance here was not just Cactus recklessly demanding the Falls Count Anywhere stip, but him actually winning Sting over in the end (albeit with some hesitance) with his reasoning was fucking fantastic stuff.

So, it’s potentially set up for the Nasty Boys to win the titles, after backdooring the title shot due to the reaction of Jack from the attack. That way, it looks like Cactus has cost him and Sting the gold, whilst Sting didn’t want to go down this route. But- I’m saying Cactus decision pays off, and CACTUS JACK and STING retain their gold. That way, Sting lowers his guard even more, trusting the wild – but ultimately correct – reactions of Cactus … setting him up for the eventual break up when it comes down the line.

This could either be step one in an eventual heel turn for Rhodes due to his overconfidence coming back to bite him, or the beginning of a long term chase for the title, having to come back from a big loss here – again, due to overconfidence. Regardless, (and despite the beatdown on Saturday Night) there’s no doubt BIG BUBBA ROGERS retains, imo, and does it clean as a whistle. Dustin looking beyond Rogers and at Steamboat is the perfect recipe for disaster.

Is Levesque sleeping with Ted Turners daughter, or something!? I’ll be honest, I’m only interested in one of the three guys this match is built on, and it’s the guy that isn’t actually in it. Scotty being torn now between the two – and being potentially used by Levesque now (and possibly even Hammer!) for their gains – it feels like the tables have really turned. He was once the leader of (different) men, and now he’s their lackey! Feels like the beginning of a face turn for Flamingo (could be way off) but it starts with him helping out JP LEVESQUE retain the title … and NOT get the reward he wanted/expected.

Battle of the Blonds!
    If I’d just seen this on the card and not had the context behind it, I’d be complaining that you’ve rushed into this way too soon. Instead, this match is simply here to progress the break up storyline, so it’s technically not REALLY the first encounter … even though it is. If that makes sense? Anyway, Gene’s “I’m not writing this down, it’s TV” line had me HOWLING. Just pictured his deadpan delivery of that. Tremendous. The promo to set this up was excellent, and those little touches of Austin getting more and more agitated with Gene, and putting this idea ALL on Brian worked a treat for me.

This is a really fascinating route to take with the break up, and I’m digging it to this point. The fact Austin’s struggled since they’ve started preparing for their singles match, and Brian has gone back to singles action like a duck to water tells me there’s only one way this one is going. It’ll be a lovely little respectful match, all fair with no cheating by either man … with Pillman looking the likely winner … at which point, STEVE AUSTIN cheats to snatch the win. Trouble is afoot for the Blonds. Also Full Force is the most EWR team name I’ve seen in a long time, yet so accurate for a mid 90’s bland babyface pairing. Kudos.

Calling the win for ARN ANDERSON. He fucks up Harley badly enough that he’s unable to accompany Vader at ringside for the main event, and in the process manages to assist his old buddy Ric Flair into retaining his title by hook or by crook.

Grudge Match
    Meng vs. Ricky Steamboat
    I love this match. I love both these guys. With Meng essentially a gun for hire, he’s not someone you necessarily have to protect in matches, as it doesn’t seem like he’s going to be hitting the main event level. Can see a situation where he dominates Steamboat, but ultimately slips on the banana peel and RICKY STEAMBOAT snatches a roll up of some kind to eke out a three count … but still get demolished afterward. That’s my pick, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Meng won this either.

The added extras; the Regal union with Eaton continues to be fun, and I think it’s brilliant that you’re tying in Benoit’s Japanese dates with his availability for WCW. Bit sad you’ve written out Missy Hyatt … though really, she’s only good for one thing, and there’s no pictures in a BTB, so no big loss, lol. That the “working plan” was her saddling up to a heel turning Dustin probably has me leaning that way in his arc coming up … just by different means now, obviously. Would probably make sense for Alexandra York to fill that role down the line. Looking forward to seeing what you’ve got in store for Rude … though I’m acutely aware this may be the end for him too, as he got his injury around this time, I believe…

Putting Butts in Seats

Status

Spring Stampede 1994 Confirmed Card

I kind of want these guys to keep it going and have a big blow off at the next PPV before Hogan starts meddling with the main event fun. I don't think Flair is dropping the title...but I think he starts to trickle towards a heel turn to allow for a Hogan feud, so the "Dirtiest Player in the Game" ends up getting DQ'd to set up a gimmick match for the next PPV to end this feud.

I'm going with the same prediction as last time...this Jack/Sting thing is fire and gasoline and it's only a matter of time before it blows up. I would love for it to continue though because it's so much fun watching their opposite view points collide and I was thinking the same thing as Wolf that Sting's holier than thou act would make him have mega heel heat in modern wrestling. A potential heel Sting would be super interesting if you could pull it off as he's a pretty hard guy to work as a heel because the crowd always loves him which is why his heel turn in WCW went so poorly. Anyway, I'll go with the Nasties winning here and we see what happens between Sting and Jack moving forward.

Ok, I am definitely going to be wrong on either this or the World Title match because I'm going to predict pretty similar things and that's DQ finish! Rhodes is super hot right now coming off the wins at Superbrawl...but Big Bubba is as well being a beast since debuting and just winning the title. I don't want to see either man stop their momentum so I'm going with the copout DQ finish here to continue this feud.

I loved that JP Levesque debuted as Flamingo's preppy lackey but I feel like that story didn't get nearly enough play before Levesque got to go out on his own and win a title. Probably one of the few things I haven't liked here...feel like it's too soon to be giving future HHH so much love and would've liked to see him spend some time schlepping it with Flamingo before getting anything resembling a push. That being said, I am interested to see what Flamingo ends up doing but I'll say Levesque wins.

Battle of the Blonds!
    Interestingly enough I was wrong when I said last time it looked like Pillman was going to be the heel and Austin the face and I'm very happy it seems to be going the opposite direction. I love the set up here of this basically being a match to blow off steam so that they can keep teaming together. I think Austin wins but in an unfair manner, which obviously won't sit well with Pillman and we head towards full fledged feud.

For one, I have too many heels winning so need a face to win - and for two, this gimmick exists so Arn has to win, right?

Grudge Match
    Meng vs. Ricky Steamboat
    Steamboat could use a win to get back on track after losing the US Title...but nah its THEMONSTERMENG and I'm here to see him destroy literally everyone. EVERYONE.
    A WCW Network Documentary
    Now Playing in the BTB Forum

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Hey Keef, about time I checked out your genius this time in the form of WCW and their Road to Competence.

Firstly, before I dive into the show, I love how simple and easily readable it looks. BT did a great job with the graphics and dividers as well.

Superbrawl IV Review:

- Good opening match! I really thought the Blonds had it won and then that twist at the end with Benoit utilizing the roll up to get the job done. No doubt the power of the mullet driving him and his partner on to victory Haha! I really liked the aftermath with Pillman and Austin have a mini-meltdown in the ring.

- Yikes, that TV Championship match. Very reminiscent of that era. Has to be pretty fun booking
    Levesque and shaping his future.

- I always liked the combo of Sherri with Harlem Heat (Well, Sherri with anyone really) and I'm glad they picked up the win! I loved Meng and I'm hoping this is some kind of Sherri Family faction going forward that would be cool.

- Now.. THIS IS A MATCH! OR should I say.. A FIGHT! I enjoyed this. I loved the descriptions of stiff strikes and Arn trying to fight on in a match it was becoming apparent that he couldn't ever win. Vader picking up the victory and doing so in style was a good touch and he wants that rematch! I say, let's do it!

- Another good match and perhaps my favourite so far with Cactus & Sting vs the Nasty Boys. I love the combo of Cactus & Sting. The idea of Sting the utmost professional and by the book with someone as wild and unpredictable as Cactus Jack is so cool and it showed in patches of this match. Really good.

- Poor old Ricky Steamboat! He did not come out of this very well at all. I'm loving this Sherri Stable though and it's a BIG victory for the BIG BOSS- UHH.. Big Bubba Rogers. Meng coming out of Superbrawl IV looking like the monster he is! Loving it.

- Dustin overcomes the odds and get's his match with Roma and wins! Pretty much expected. I obviously haven't followed the full story of this sadly so I'm unsure what the build was or as invested as I could/should have been- but it felt a bit weird to have the match gimmick second to me, I don't know.

- Missy Hyatt with Rick Rude. What a combo that is Haha! The dirtiest player in the game retains and keeps hold of the Championship Gold, WOOOOOOOOO! Good Main Event.

Enjoyable show! A really nice easy read. Reading some of this show really made me think at times at how much better it would be In your normal longer form but it was very enjoyable and it must be a breeze to book and post. I'll be reading along for sure mate, good job!

"LET ME IN.."

LOYAL SHEEP

Status

Battle of the Blonds!

Grudge Match
    Meng vs. Ricky Steamboat

Looking forward to reading Spring Stampede, Keef. You've been doing a really good job here. I've read but have been unable to drop in some feedback lately. But nevertheless, you've been setting a good pace here. Excited to see how things play themselves out.

What A Maneuver!

Status

Big Van Vader vs. Ric Flair ©
    I’ve been waiting for Vader to get his heat back since 2018! I think Flair can survive without the strap, and if Vader loses again, he loses a lot of the momentum you’ve built up for him. Vader takes it back here.

I applaud you for stretching this out. This match will be super fun to read. I think The Nastys finally get their hands on gold. If Vader wins, which I think he is, he needs a credible face to hold him over until Hogan, which I think is where Sting fits in.

Bubba as a transitional champ? I think there’s more story to tell here, you keep this thing going and Bubba keeps the strap.

Really fun storyline you’ve got going on here. Levesque keeps it here, furthering tension with Scotty.

Battle of the Blonds!
    Part of me thinks you go in a crazy direction and have Pillman take this one, but I got the same vibes when I split The Rockers up in my thread. Clearly Pillman is the Jannetty of the group. Austin just has too much upside and potential as a main guy to lose right out of the gate.

Arn gets his heat back from losing to Vader at the last PPV, and then kicks Harley’s ass. The Enforcer gets back on his feet!

Grudge Match
    Meng vs. Ricky Steamboat
    Meng’s gotta look strong in his opening match. Steamboat can afford to lose at this stage in his career. Meng starts his monster push!

Looking forward to this as always my friend, you’re really hitting a groove right now. Very fun to watch this all unfold. This card has shaped up to be a banger! Can’t wait!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information