Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WCW: The Road To Competence

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

Starrcade 1993 Predictions

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk)

I think that Heat need Sherri to push them on in the tag division so they need the win here.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

WCW Television Title: Scotty Flamingo (c) vs. Chris Benoit

This is DDP's comeback so I think it might be a good starting point to see him push forward, even if it's just the TV title scene. Also realising that Flamingo is one of those that has outlasted his actual WCW stay and maybe tonight could be a defeat that starts his exit or absence. Surely you need to start to ready him for becoming Raven. Benoit vs The Diamond Mine sounds like a great way forward.

Rick Rude vs. Johnny B Badd

Fully expecting Rude to win by hitting Badd in the face. Also 1994 should be interesting for Rude considering in a few months he gets injured and is forced to retire.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match: Paul Orndorff vs. Ricky Steamboat

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match: Shane Douglas vs. Dustin Rhodes

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match: Paul Orndorff or Ricky Steamboat vs. Shane Douglas or Dustin Rhodes

This could go any way. I'm going to say that you give Douglas the big night as he beats both Rhodes and Steamboat to win the US Title. Will be a better story to see the pair chase Douglas.

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles: The Hollywood Blonds (c) (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

This feels like one of the no brainers of the night. Although somewhere tonight I am expecting a huge swerve.

Title vs. Career for the WCW Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) vs. Ric Flair

There is no way Ric Flair is retiring. So Flair topples the Mastodon. Also note that Cactus Jack pinned Vader in the Texas Death match This should be a bloody affair though.

Looking forward to it!!!

No Easy Way Out

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Starrcade Re: WCW: The Road To Competence

Starrcade 1993

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) vs. American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk)
    Seeing as they've gotten Sherri on board, Harlem Heat could be in line for a push. Plus, Bagwell and Zenk haven't done anything of note, and I don't see them being anything more than a JTTS tag team.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

A screwy DDP win wouldn't shock me, but I'll go for the safe option of Scorpio.

The Diamond Mine Are Banned From Ringside - WCW Television Title
    : Scotty Flamingo (c) vs. Chris Benoit
    Somehow, someway, Scotty will manage to get by Benoit. Potentially a chance for a newcomer to make an impact by helping Scotty whilst NOT aligning with the Mine?

Not The Face! Match
    : Rick Rude vs. Johnny B Badd
    LOL at this match. Corny, but I love it - much like the Moustache match. Rude wins this with a sneaky right hand to THE FACE behind the refs back.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match
    : Paul Orndorff vs. Ricky Steamboat

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifying Match
    : Shane Douglas vs. Dustin Rhodes
    Interesting scenario here. Have to believe that it ends up coming down to Steamboat and Douglas in order to blow off that rivalry once and for all. Wouldn't rule out the face/face dynamic of Rhodes and Steamboat though.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Match
    : Ricky Steamboat vs. Shane Douglas

Having already beaten the title holder, I think it could wind up being a big night for Douglas - his own Jericho moment, perhaps, where he gets to crow about beating two men in the same night.

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles:
    The Hollywood Blonds (c) (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

I have this nagging feeling in my mind - and have done since essentially the beginning of the thread - that this angle ends with Cactus turning on Sting, especially after Sting continuously turned to others for months. That said, it feels like this story deserves the happy ending. The Blondes have been champions for a long, long time, and Sting has been chasing for nine months. Given Cactus arc, he also deserves the happy ending at Starrcade. Going for the happy ending as my prediction - but I'm not confident.

Title vs. Career for the WCW Heavyweight Title
    : Big Van Vader (c) vs. Ric Flair
    Going for fiction to mirror reality. Don't blame you for following the real life booking, and that Vader/Flair match irl was incredible. I don't see any of that changing - Flair topples the monster to win back the richest prize in the game. Also, loved the contract signing angle that set the wheels in motion for the retirement stip. Not sure if that also happened in real life, or if that was your own spin on the feud - if so, it was top notch stuff.

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

Episode Sixteen: Starrcade 1993

Diamond Dallas Page w/Van Hammer vs. 2 Cold Scorpio

After months of being screwed around by the Diamond Mine, the former TV Champion 2 Cold Scorpio finally gets a shot at revenge over their leader, DDP. Van Hammer's constant interference keeps Page in the match longer than you may expect, but Scorpio overcomes the odds as he often does, and picks up the win and measure of justice with the 450 Splash in just over five minutes.

Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) w/ Sherri vs. American Assassins (Marcus Alexander Bagwell & Tom Zenk)

Bagwell and Zenk show signs of potential in this one, but now the Heat have the backing of Sherri, they dominate large parts of the match, and after nine minutes win the match with the Bearhug/Sidekick combo following interference from their new manager.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifier

Shane Douglas vs. Dustin Rhodes

Two of the hottest young talents come together here, each looking to take a step closer to facing their long-time rivals in the US Title match later tonight. Douglas, obsessed with potentially facing Steamboat and having a title to lord over his former partner, takes control of the early goings. Unfortunately for him, Dustin is the champion for a reason, and fights back as he so often does, and is even able to reverse a Belly-To-Belly Suplex attempt and roll up Douglas for the win after ten minutes.

WCW United States Heavyweight Title Qualifier

Paul Orndorff w/Harley Race vs. Ricky Steamboat

And then, the other side to the rivalries. With the young-guns done, now the veterans battle over the chance to face Dustin Rhodes for his US Title. Steamboat starts as hot as always, but timely interference from Race allows Orndorff to take over. He methodically works the Dragon over, knowing a win will set him up for no doubt a final rematch against his long-time rival Rhodes. But Steamboat, as we've seen so many times over the years, has a never-say-die attitude, and after thirteen minutes powers out of a Piledriver attempt with a Bridging Northern Lights Suplex for the three, much to Orndorff and Race's dismay!

Diamond Mine Are Banned From Ringside, WCW Television Title: Scotty Flamingo (c) vs. Chris Benoit

Finally, Scotty Flamingo has to go it alone with his TV Title on the line. Unsurprisingly, Benoit gets the better of most of the match, finally giving Flamingo the kind of beating he's had coming for months.

But then, something funny happens. Flamingo has relied so heavily on interference in his matches, no-one considered that maybe he didn't need to. Sure, he barely plays within the rules. He's resourceful, dirty even, but he manages to keep Benoit at bay for longer than anyone thought was possible. When Benoit goes for his patented German Suplex after ten minutes, Flamingo is able to trip Benoit in to the turnbuckle, roll him up with a handful of tights and grab the surprise three count to retain. Maybe Flamingo doesn't need the Diamond Mine to interfere every match after all?

Not The Face! Match: Rick Rude w/ Missy Hyatt vs. Johnny B Badd

Battle of the pretty boys! Both men struggle initially at not being able to attack their opponent's face, particularly Badd with his boxing background. It allows Rude to have the better of most of the match, only for him to forget the rules and almost punch Badd in front of the referee. That hesitation allows Badd to fire back. Unluckily for him, Rude ducks a Clothesline attempt and Badd crashes in to the referee. As the referee tries to recover, Rude punches Badd square in the nose, then nails a Rude Awakening for the win in under ten minutes.

Falls Count Anywhere Match for the WCW Tag Team Titles: The Hollywood Blonds (c) (Steve Austin & Brian Pillman) vs. Sting & Cactus Jack

And now, the first of your two main events of the evening.

By hook or crook, the Blonds have held on to the Tag Titles for seven months. For most of that time Sting has been looking for the perfect opponent to wrest those belts away from them, and yet never quite made it. Simmons? Powerful, but not dirty enough. Steamboat? A bona fide legend, but too clean. Now, with Cactus Jack, the story is different.

The Blonds are truly outmatched for possibly the first time since they teamed, and spend most of the match trying to crawl away from their enraged partners. When that doesn't work, they resort to their usual tactic of handcuffing Sting to the barrier, leaving Jack alone to fight both of the champions. Rather than fight, Jack runs to the back... only to return with bolt cutters! He cuts Sting free, then chases the Hollywood Blonds around the ring with it. Oh, and now Sting has metal weapons attached to his wrists.

From there, it's academic. The Blonds are fresh out of ideas as Sting and Cactus beat them in to the mat, and after a bloody and brutal eighteen minutes of carnage, Sting and Jack nail their dastardly rivals with stereo DDTs, and both make the cover to crown new WCW Tag Team Champions! The hellish reign of the Hollywood Blonds is over!

WCW United States Heavyweight Title

Dustin Rhodes (c) vs. Ricky Steamboat

Two close friends, partners in the Gene Anderson Memorial Cup, come together over one of the most prestigious belts in wrestling.

Their friendship is clear from the start, as both men insist on playing by the rules, with frequent displays of sportsmanship. Steamboat, many years more experienced than the champion, controls the early goings, frustrating the youngster until Rhodes snaps and slaps Steamboat across the face! Needless to say, that brings an end to the fair play, and from there on, both men throw everything they have at each other.

Dustin's match was both earlier and a little shorter, meaning he has a bit more in the tank and controls the Dragon, and looks to have the match won when he goes for a DDT... but Steamboat powers out with a Bridging Northern Lights Suplex, just as he did in the earlier match! But this time Dustin kicks out!

Steamboat, sensing the opportunity, climbs to the top and looks for a Diving Crossbody... and nails it! But Dustin rolls through! Steamboat kicks out! Dustin looks for the DDT, but Steamboat pulls his legs out from under him and leaps in to a Jacknife Pin... ONE... TWO...THREE! We have a new US Champion after fifteen minutes of back-and-forth action!

Dustin can’t quite believe what has happened. On a night where he overcame one of his fellow young stars of the future and avoided his biggest nemesis, somehow he has still managed to lose his WCW US Title, and to a close family friend as well. When the referee brings the belt in to the ring Dustin snatches it off him and stares at the belt for a few moments… only to hand it over to Steamboat and raise his arm in victory. The two men hug and pose together for the fans…

WHEN BIG BUBBA ROGERS APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE AND DESTROYS THEM BOTH WITH A CLOTHESLINE!
    Rhodes and Steamboat are too exhausted to put up any fight against the returning monster, allowing Rogers to beat the hell out of them.

And what’s this? Sensational Sherri is watching on from ringside! Once Rogers is done beating the two friends down, Sherri climbs in to the ring and raises Rogers arm! What does this all mean?!

Title vs. Career for the WCW Heavyweight Title: Big Van Vader (c) w/ Harley Race vs. Ric Flair

Which leaves us with our main event of the evening.

It's lucky that Flair has such an array of dirty tricks up his sleeve, because he needs every single one of them to even stay in this match. And even then, he's barely surviving. There's a reason why Vader has been the champion for almost a year, and why he personally hasn't been beaten in single’s action longer than that.

But then again, there's a reason Ric Flair is seen as the best in the world, and he shows that by throwing every ounce of what he has in an effort to stay in the contest. Race, who has already seen one client lose a potential title match tonight, watches on with delight in his eyes as Vader batters the challenger, the man who had beaten Race for the World Title at this very event ten years ago. The fans are rabid for a Flair title win, but even they start to lose hope as the match progresses.

With twenty minutes gone, Vader shrugs off another desperate Flair onslaught and batters him back down to the ramp. Flair staggers around the ring, barely able to tell where he is, when Vader drills him with a Powerbomb! This one is over.

Or is it? Vader, remembering that Davey Boy kicked out of the Powerbomb at Fall Brawl, and that it wasn't enough to keep Cactus down at Halloween Havoc, drags Flair to the corner and climbs to the top rope. The Moonsault. The one bulletproof move in wrestling. The one move no-one could ever kick out of.

Vader vault's through the air... but misses! Flair moved! The Nature Boy takes the opportunity to try for the Figure Four, but Vader is too big, too strong. He kicks the Nature Boy away and lifts him up for another Powerbomb, only for Ric Flair to slide down his back and roll him up in a schoolboy... ONE... TWO... THREE! We have a new WCW Champion! The fans erupt as the referee raises Flair's arm in victory, with Vader's seemingly unstoppable title reign coming to an end, and saving Flair’s career in the process.

The fans are still roaring with delight as the monstrous now-former champion gets to his feet and starts to circle the new champion. Flair holds his fists out, offering a fight he knows he can't win after such a hellacious battle. Vader walks towards him... when Arn Anderson rushes out from the back to stand in his way! After an intense stare down, Harley Race drags Vader to the back, leaving Arn and Ric to embrace in the centre of the ring, and we fade to black with Flair holding the title high above his head and his career in-tact.

So there you have it. 1993 wrapped up. Coming up in in Episode Seventeen – 1994!

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Excellent show you got a new fan here

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

No Easy Way Out

Status

Bit of a surprise that DDP vs Scorpio kicked the show off. Would’ve been sure that the two semi-final US Title matches would’ve been the big one-two opening for the night to set the tone. Still, a solid face win for Scorpio to get the fans onside off the bat. Given it was a short match too, I’d have perhaps preferred another match to get the show up and running.

Solid win for Harlem Heat, and given the outcome in the tag title match later, you’re doing a good job in getting some heel teams (HH, Nasty Boys) ready to challenge the fresh champions.

Quite pleased to be wrong on my predictions as Steamboat vs Dustin was the best possible outcome of the two semi-final matches of this mini tournament.

Flamingo winning wasn’t a huge surprise... the way he did it was. Really nice twist on proceedings for Scotty to prove he’s actually capable, and it opens the door for a number of different directions you can go with both him and the Mine. Will he end up leaving the group or being thrown out with DDP maybe making eyes at the TV title himself? As an aside, I should also make mention of the solid job you’ve done with the TV title. It’s always been important and it’s given your lower card guys something to go for. It’s not gone unnoticed.

Yes! The stipulation might’ve been a little silly, but I loved it. Finish was predictable- but there’s nothing wrong with that imo if it’s a sensible payoff, and it was. Rude had to go dirty and hit the face. Had to. Hopefully you’ll get Rude back in the main event mix in the near future as there’s still unfinished business with Flair.

Tag title match looked superb, and I dug the story coming full circle. The handcuffs spot backfiring and the Blondes being outsmarted just led to a great moment of the long running Sting/Cactus saga. Here’s hoping for a long run with the face team as champions now after such a long wait to get to this point.

Wow. Didn’t see BUBBA coming at all. Big stage to arrive in WCW, and an immediate impact made. Thought momentarily that Rhodes was about to turn on Steamboat after Ricky took the belt from him ... then this. Sherri appears to be forming quite the stable of talent... hmmm.

Main event had the right outcome. Someone had to beat Vader eventually and this was the right person, at the right show to do it. Now he’s lost the belt, I’m very interested in where Vader goes from here. Feels like there’s a lot more in the tank for a Flair/Vader II, especially with Vader dominating the majority of the match. Arn joining Flair in the ring after what he went through was the right moment to close the show on.

Very newsworthy event, memorable moments, great matches - worthy of the Starrcade name for sure!!

Underdog

Status
      Country                    Europe

Thanks for the feedback guys, really glad you enjoyed the show. OMB, you may have picked the wrong time to get invested in this...!

So, as much as I've enjoyed booking this era, I've hit the point where the lack of detail in this is making me really struggle. The era is awesome to book, but I do this kind of thing as much for the creative writing exercise as the booking, and, frankly, this doesn't feel much like creative writing as it does just listing out things that have happened.

Case in point, I'm writing up the Clash at the moment. The main event is a "Champion's Challenge" match, with Tag Champs Sting & Cactus against World and US champs Flair & Steamboat. However, Scotty Flamingo, the only champion not included in the match, is pissed, especially after winning on his own at Starrcade and having developed an ego. I'd love to really flesh Flamingo out so you can get a sense of how obnoxious he is, and this would hopefully be the start of a year-long thing where Flamingo becomes the upper-midcarder we know he can become. But without the details of how he gets there, it feels a little empty.

While I could just start adding more detail here, a) that goes against the whole point of it, and b) writing TV for 1993 doesn't hugely appeal. I have nothing but respect for guys who can write 80s/early 90s, but I can't I'm afraid. I need more to happen.

With that in mind, I'm going to finish this here and take the 30 day break to get started on a new project. I'm fairly sure I know when, who and what, and will be back at the end of June to get it started. It'll have more detail in it, and, hopefully, more creative writing.

I will be slightly disappointed, though, if only because I won't be able to explore:

• How Vader responds to losing the belt
    • What Flair is like as champion in 1994
    • How Sting & Jack work together
    • How the Blonds deal with losing the belts
    • The fallout of Steamboat, Dustin & Big Bubba at Starrcade
    • How Scotty Flamingo, Steven Regal and DDP become credible guys
    • Benoit & Scorpio as a full-time tag team
    • The arrivals of Paul Levesque, Meng, and of course, Hulk Hogan

Thanks to everyone for the support, feedback and advice on this, it's been awesome. I hope you follow me to my next project towards the end of June. Cheers!

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Disappointed this has come to an end. Hopefully your next project is as successful as this one.

I was really looking forward to Hogan’s arrival. Also Scotty Flamingo has gone under the radar as the big push he’s had and was certainly hand picked to outstay his original WCW run for a reason. Would have been interesting to see how you handled the emergence of the Raven character.

Ill be looking out for what you got up your sleeve next!!

No Easy Way Out

Status

Sorry to see this thread end. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed reading it these past couple of months. That said, I’m thrilled you’re already planning something new, and I’ll very much be looking out for it next month when it drops!

Mid-Card Champion

Status

BROOOOO *in Vince Russo's voice*
    I literally just started getting into this today and reading your posts, I'm so bummed to see it go. But I totally understand about needing to explore your creative juices. I will definitely be jumping in head first with the next project you make on here. You're a very good writer and your ideas are definitely entertaining, yet still make 100 percent sense. You've got a lifetime reader in me man lol

NOW PLAYING IN THE "BE THE BOOKER" SECTION!

BTB Awards and Recognitions
    Spoiler:

#WC4Horsemen

Thread Information